Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Scn3a
Description: sodium channel, voltage-gated, type III, alpha
Alias: Gm1000, Nav1.3, sodium channel protein type 3 subunit alpha, sodium channel, voltage-gated, type III, alpha polypeptide, voltage-gated sodium channel Nav1.3 variant a, voltage-gated sodium channel Nav1.3 variant b
- Kozak C, Sangameswaran L. Genetic mapping of the peripheral sodium channel genes, Scn9a and Scn10a, in the mouse. Mamm Genome. 1996;7:787-8 pubmed
- Hao M, Lomax A, McKeown S, Reid C, Young H, Bornstein J. Early development of electrical excitability in the mouse enteric nervous system. J Neurosci. 2012;32:10949-60 pubmed publisher..Spontaneous depolarizations resembling excitatory postsynaptic potentials were observed at E12.5. The ENS is one of the earliest parts of the developing nervous system to exhibit mature forms of electrical activity. ..
- Li H, Wan R, Tang L, Liu S, Zhao Q, Gao M, et al. Alteration of Scn3a expression is mediated via CpG methylation and MBD2 in mouse hippocampus during postnatal development and seizure condition. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2015;1849:1-9 pubmed publisherIncreased expression of sodium channel SCN3A, an embryonic-expressed gene, has been identified in epileptic tissues, which is believed to contribute to the development of epilepsy...
- Zhang Q, Chibalina M, Bengtsson M, Groschner L, Ramracheya R, Rorsman N, et al. Na+ current properties in islet Î±- and Î²-cells reflect cell-specific Scn3a and Scn9a expression. J Physiol. 2014;592:4677-96 pubmed publisher..7 and Î±-cells Nav1.3. In Î±-cells, genetically ablating Scn3a reduces the Na(+) current by 80%...
- Ogiwara I, Miyamoto H, Morita N, Atapour N, Mazaki E, Inoue I, et al. Nav1.1 localizes to axons of parvalbumin-positive inhibitory interneurons: a circuit basis for epileptic seizures in mice carrying an Scn1a gene mutation. J Neurosci. 2007;27:5903-14 pubmed..Our data indicate that Nav1.1 plays critical roles in the spike output from PV interneurons and, furthermore, that the specifically altered function of these inhibitory circuits may contribute to epileptic seizures in the mice. ..
- Tsunozaki M, Lennertz R, Vilceanu D, Katta S, Stucky C, Bautista D. A 'toothache tree' alkylamide inhibits A? mechanonociceptors to alleviate mechanical pain. J Physiol. 2013;591:3325-40 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that sanshool targets voltage-gated sodium channels on A? mechanosensory nociceptors to dampen excitability and thus induce 'fast pain' analgesia. ..
- Beckers M, Ernst E, Belcher S, Howe J, Levenson R, Gros P. A new sodium channel alpha-subunit gene (Scn9a) from Schwann cells maps to the Scn1a, Scn2a, Scn3a cluster of mouse chromosome 2. Genomics. 1996;36:202-5 pubmed
- Malo M, Srivastava K, Andresen J, Chen X, Korenberg J, Ingram V. Targeted gene walking by low stringency polymerase chain reaction: assignment of a putative human brain sodium channel gene (SCN3A) to chromosome 2q24-31. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:2975-9 pubmed..assign this sequence as a part of a gene coding the alpha-subunit of a human brain type III sodium channel (SCN3A)...
- Malo D, Schurr E, Dorfman J, Canfield V, Levenson R, Gros P. Three brain sodium channel alpha-subunit genes are clustered on the proximal segment of mouse chromosome 2. Genomics. 1991;10:666-72 pubmed..Physical mapping by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis has established that Scn2a and Scn3a (genes encoding type II and type III sodium channel alpha-subunit isoforms) are physically linked and are ..
- Martin M, Tang B, Ta N, Escayg A. Characterization of 5' untranslated regions of the voltage-gated sodium channels SCN1A, SCN2A, and SCN3A and identification of cis-conserved noncoding sequences. Genomics. 2007;90:225-35 pubmedThe human voltage-gated sodium channel gene cluster on chromosome 2q24 contains three paralogs, SCN1A, SCN2A, and SCN3A, which are expressed in the central nervous system...
- Chen Y, Shi Y, Xu H, Chen M, Gao M, Sun W, et al. Electrophysiological Differences between the Same Pore Region Mutation in SCN1A and SCN3A. Mol Neurobiol. 2015;51:1263-70 pubmed publisher..b>SCN3A mutations have also been identified in patients with epilepsy; however, mutations in this pore region maintain ..
- Lamar T, Vanoye C, Calhoun J, Wong J, Dutton S, Jorge B, et al. SCN3A deficiency associated with increased seizure susceptibility. Neurobiol Dis. 2017;102:38-48 pubmed publisherMutations in voltage-gated sodium channels expressed highly in the brain (SCN1A, SCN2A, SCN3A, and SCN8A) are responsible for an increasing number of epilepsy syndromes...
- Deng G, Qin J, Sun X, Kuang Z, Su T, Zhao Q, et al. Promoter analysis of mouse Scn3a gene and regulation of the promoter activity by GC box and CpG methylation. J Mol Neurosci. 2011;44:115-21 pubmed publisher..The expression of mouse Scn3a product (Na(v)1.3) mainly occurs in embryonic and early postnatal brain but not in adult brain...
- Fotia A, Ekberg J, Adams D, Cook D, Poronnik P, Kumar S. Regulation of neuronal voltage-gated sodium channels by the ubiquitin-protein ligases Nedd4 and Nedd4-2. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:28930-5 pubmed..Interestingly, Nedd4 suppressed the activity of Na(v)1.2 and Na(v)1.7 but was a poor inhibitor of Na(v)1.8. Our results provide evidence that Nedd4 and Nedd4-2 are likely to be key regulators of specific neuronal Na(v) channels in vivo. ..
- Cheah C, Westenbroek R, Roden W, Kalume F, Oakley J, Jansen L, et al. Correlations in timing of sodium channel expression, epilepsy, and sudden death in Dravet syndrome. Channels (Austin). 2013;7:468-72 pubmed publisher..1 channels in DS, defines a tipping point that leads to disinhibition of neural circuits, intractable seizures, co-morbidities, and premature death in this disease. ..
- Castillo S, Xiao Q, Lyu M, Kozak C, Nikodem V. Organization, sequence, chromosomal localization, and promoter identification of the mouse orphan nuclear receptor Nurr1 gene. Genomics. 1997;41:250-7 pubmed..These data help to explain the different response characteristics of two closely related early response genes, Nurr1 and Nur77. ..
- Hessel E, van Lith H, Wolterink Donselaar I, de Wit M, Groot Koerkamp M, Holstege F, et al. Mapping of a FEB3 homologous febrile seizure locus on mouse chromosome 2 containing candidate genes Scn1a and Scn3a. Eur J Neurosci. 2016;44:2950-2957 pubmed publisher..Ifih1) contained a non-synonymous SNP comparing CSS2 and C57BL/6J, six genes (March7, Nr4a2, Gpd2, Grb14, Scn1a, Scn3a) were differentially expressed between these strains...
- Chin H, Kwon O, Jung H, Kim D, Kozak C. Genetic mapping of the mouse genes encoding the voltage-sensitive calcium channel subunits. Genomics. 1995;28:592-5 pubmed..These results together with previous mapping data indicate that the calcium channel genes are dispersed in the mouse genome, unlike the sodium channel genes, which are clustered. ..