Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Scn2a
Description: sodium channel, voltage-gated, type II, alpha
Alias: 6430408L10, A230052E19Rik, Nav1.2, Scn2a1, sodium channel protein type 2 subunit alpha, sodium channel, voltage-gated, type II, alpha 1, sodium channel, voltage-gated, type II, alpha polypeptide 1, voltage-gated sodium channel Nav1.2 variant a, voltage-gated sodium channel Nav1.2 variant b
- Albrieux M, Platel J, Dupuis A, Villaz M, Moody W. Early expression of sodium channel transcripts and sodium current by cajal-retzius cells in the preplate of the embryonic mouse neocortex. J Neurosci. 2004;24:1719-25 pubmed..These results raise the possibility that populations of pioneer neurons of the PP, including Cajal-Retzius cells, gain neuronal physiological properties early in development via expression of the Na(v)1.3 (SCN3) Na channel isoform. ..
- Fotia A, Ekberg J, Adams D, Cook D, Poronnik P, Kumar S. Regulation of neuronal voltage-gated sodium channels by the ubiquitin-protein ligases Nedd4 and Nedd4-2. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:28930-5 pubmed..Interestingly, Nedd4 suppressed the activity of Na(v)1.2 and Na(v)1.7 but was a poor inhibitor of Na(v)1.8. Our results provide evidence that Nedd4 and Nedd4-2 are likely to be key regulators of specific neuronal Na(v) channels in vivo. ..
- Kim H, DiBernardo A, Sloane J, Rasband M, Solomon D, Kosaras B, et al. WAVE1 is required for oligodendrocyte morphogenesis and normal CNS myelination. J Neurosci. 2006;26:5849-59 pubmed..Together, these data demonstrate a role for WAVE1 in oligodendrocyte morphogenesis and myelination. ..
- Malo D, Schurr E, Dorfman J, Canfield V, Levenson R, Gros P. Three brain sodium channel alpha-subunit genes are clustered on the proximal segment of mouse chromosome 2. Genomics. 1991;10:666-72 pubmed..Physical mapping by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis has established that Scn2a and Scn3a (genes encoding type II and type III sodium channel alpha-subunit isoforms) are physically linked and ..
- Perrot R, Lonchampt P, Peterson A, Eyer J. Axonal neurofilaments control multiple fiber properties but do not influence structure or spacing of nodes of Ranvier. J Neurosci. 2007;27:9573-84 pubmed..Thus, many fiber characteristics are controlled through mechanisms operating independently of absolute axon caliber and the neurofilament cytoskeleton. ..
- Zha H, Remmers E, Du Y, Goldmuntz E, Mathern P, Zhang H, et al. A single linkage group comprising 11 polymorphic DNA markers on rat chromosome 3. Mamm Genome. 1994;5:538-41 pubmed..group covering approximately 112 cM with the following order: Ptgs1 (prostaglandin G/H synthase I)-D3Arb178-Scn2a (sodium channel, type II, alpha-polypeptide)-D3Arb1-Cat (catalase)-Bdnf (brain-derived neurotropic factor)-..
- Crabbe J, Belknap J, Buck K, Metten P. Use of recombinant inbred strains for studying genetic determinants of responses to alcohol. Alcohol Alcohol Suppl. 1994;2:67-71 pubmed..A cluster of genes (Scn1, Scn2, Scn3) code for voltage-sensitive sodium channel proteins. These genes are plausible candidates for affecting withdrawal HIC. ..
- Liao Y, Anttonen A, Liukkonen E, Gaily E, Maljevic S, Schubert S, et al. SCN2A mutation associated with neonatal epilepsy, late-onset episodic ataxia, myoclonus, and pain. Neurology. 2010;75:1454-8 pubmed publisherInherited and de novo mutations in sodium channel genes underlie a variety of channelopathies. Mutations in SCN2A, encoding the brain sodium channel Na(V)1...
- Gao N, Lu M, Echeverri F, Laita B, Kalabat D, Williams M, et al. Voltage-gated sodium channels in taste bud cells. BMC Neurosci. 2009;10:20 pubmed publisher..The molecular identity of the voltage-gated sodium channels that sense depolarizing signals and subsequently initiate action potentials coding taste information to gustatory nerve fibers is unknown...
- Beckers M, Ernst E, Belcher S, Howe J, Levenson R, Gros P. A new sodium channel alpha-subunit gene (Scn9a) from Schwann cells maps to the Scn1a, Scn2a, Scn3a cluster of mouse chromosome 2. Genomics. 1996;36:202-5 pubmed
- Ballas N, Grunseich C, Lu D, Speh J, Mandel G. REST and its corepressors mediate plasticity of neuronal gene chromatin throughout neurogenesis. Cell. 2005;121:645-657 pubmed publisher..Thus, a multistage repressor mechanism controls the orderly expression of genes during development while still permitting fine tuning in response to specific stimuli. ..
- Bergren S, Chen S, Galecki A, Kearney J. Genetic modifiers affecting severity of epilepsy caused by mutation of sodium channel Scn2a. Mamm Genome. 2005;16:683-90 pubmed..Modifier genes affecting clinical severity in the Scn 2 a(Q 54) mouse model may contribute to the variable expressivity seen in epilepsy patients with sodium channel mutations. ..
- Notwell J, Heavner W, Darbandi S, Katzman S, McKenna W, Ortiz Londono C, et al. TBR1 regulates autism risk genes in the developing neocortex. Genome Res. 2016;26:1013-22 pubmed publisher..Our findings highlight a TBR1-regulated network of ASD genes in the developing neocortex that are relatively intolerant to LoF mutations, indicating that these genes may play critical roles in normal cortical development. ..
- Figueroa X, Chen C, Campbell K, Damon D, Day K, Ramos S, et al. Are voltage-dependent ion channels involved in the endothelial cell control of vasomotor tone?. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2007;293:H1371-83 pubmed..2 channels. The resultant Ca(2+) influx activates endothelial nitric oxide synthase and Ca(2+)-activated K(+) channels, triggering vasodilation. ..
- Litt M, Luty J, Kwak M, Allen L, Magenis R, Mandel G. Localization of a human brain sodium channel gene (SCN2A) to chromosome 2. Genomics. 1989;5:204-8 pubmed..used to localize on human chromosomes a gene coding for the alpha-subunit of the brain type II sodium channel (SCN2A)...
- Stevens M, Timmermans S, Bottelbergs A, Hendriks J, Brône B, Baes M, et al. Block of a subset of sodium channels exacerbates experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. J Neuroimmunol. 2013;261:21-8 pubmed publisher..2 and Nav1.6 expression levels were elevated in brain but not in spinal cord of Midi-treated mice, implicating that Navs play a complex role in the pathogenesis of EAE. ..
- Planells Cases R, Caprini M, Zhang J, Rockenstein E, Rivera R, Murre C, et al. Neuronal death and perinatal lethality in voltage-gated sodium channel alpha(II)-deficient mice. Biophys J. 2000;78:2878-91 pubmed..Death appears to arise from severe hypoxia consequent to the brainstem deficiency of NaChalpha(II). NaChalpha(II) expression is, therefore, redundant for embryonic development but essential for postnatal survival. ..
- Hossain W, Antic S, Yang Y, Rasband M, Morest D. Where is the spike generator of the cochlear nerve? Voltage-gated sodium channels in the mouse cochlea. J Neurosci. 2005;25:6857-68 pubmed
- Martínez Hernández J, Ballesteros Merino C, Fernandez Alacid L, Nicolau J, Aguado C, Lujan R. Polarised localisation of the voltage-gated sodium channel Na(v)1.2 in cerebellar granule cells. Cerebellum. 2013;12:16-26 pubmed publisher..The present findings show a polarised distribution of Na(v)1.2 along the neuronal surface of granule cells and suggest its primary involvement in the transmission of information from granule cells to Purkinje cells. ..
- Nakamura T, Yabe D, Kanazawa N, Tashiro K, Sasayama S, Honjo T. Molecular cloning, characterization, and chromosomal localization of FKBP23, a novel FK506-binding protein with Ca2+-binding ability. Genomics. 1998;54:89-98 pubmed..FKBP23 mRNA is expressed most strongly in heart, lung, and testis, beginning at day 8.5 of embryonic development. The FKBP23 gene was mapped to mouse chromosome 2. ..
- Gazina E, Leaw B, Richards K, Wimmer V, Kim T, Aumann T, et al. 'Neonatal' Nav1.2 reduces neuronal excitability and affects seizure susceptibility and behaviour. Hum Mol Genet. 2015;24:1457-68 pubmed publisher..However, inhibitory postsynaptic currents in NaV1.2(adult) neurons were larger and the expression level of Scn2a mRNA was 24% lower compared with the WT. The enhanced seizure susceptibility of the NaV1...
- Li T, Tian C, Scalmani P, Frassoni C, Mantegazza M, Wang Y, et al. Action potential initiation in neocortical inhibitory interneurons. PLoS Biol. 2014;12:e1001944 pubmed publisher..Together, our results reveal the molecular identity of axonal Na+ channels in interneurons and their contribution to AP generation and regulation of network activity. ..
- Hawkins N, Martin M, Frankel W, Kearney J, Escayg A. Neuronal voltage-gated ion channels are genetic modifiers of generalized epilepsy with febrile seizures plus. Neurobiol Dis. 2011;41:655-60 pubmed publisherMutations in the neuronal voltage-gated sodium channel genes SCN1A and SCN2A are associated with inherited epilepsies, including genetic epilepsy with febrile seizures plus (GEFS+) and Dravet syndrome (severe myoclonic epilepsy of ..
- Rush A, Dib Hajj S, Waxman S. Electrophysiological properties of two axonal sodium channels, Nav1.2 and Nav1.6, expressed in mouse spinal sensory neurones. J Physiol. 2005;564:803-15 pubmed..6 and the Na(+)/Ca(2+) exchanger are colocalized, while selective expression of Na(v)1.2 may support action potential electrogenesis, at least at lower frequencies, while producing a smaller persistent current. ..
- Thomas E, Hawkins R, Richards K, Xu R, Gazina E, Petrou S. Heat opens axon initial segment sodium channels: a febrile seizure mechanism?. Ann Neurol. 2009;66:219-26 pubmed publisher..The direct effect of heat on ion channels localized to the site of action potential initiation potentially causes a profound increase in neuronal excitability. This is likely to contribute to febrile seizure genesis. ..
- Zhang M, Green B, Catlin P, Fiedler B, Azam L, Chadwick A, et al. Structure/function characterization of micro-conotoxin KIIIA, an analgesic, nearly irreversible blocker of mammalian neuronal sodium channels. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:30699-706 pubmed..2 and that further engineering of micro-conopeptides belonging to the KIIIA group may provide subtype-selective pharmacological compounds for mammalian neuronal sodium channels and potential therapeutics for the treatment of pain. ..
- Tsunozaki M, Lennertz R, Vilceanu D, Katta S, Stucky C, Bautista D. A 'toothache tree' alkylamide inhibits A? mechanonociceptors to alleviate mechanical pain. J Physiol. 2013;591:3325-40 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that sanshool targets voltage-gated sodium channels on A? mechanosensory nociceptors to dampen excitability and thus induce 'fast pain' analgesia. ..
- Sashihara S, Yanagihara N, Kobayashi H, Izumi F, Tsuji S, Murai Y, et al. Overproduction of voltage-dependent Na+ channels in the developing brain of genetically seizure-susceptible E1 mice. Neuroscience. 1992;48:285-91 pubmed..05 +/- 0.03 nM; E1, 1.03 +/- 0.01 nM). Lastly, veratridine-evoked 22Na+ influx, sensitive to tetrodotoxin, was increased approximately 45% in the cortical synaptosomes in six-week-old E1 mice.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..
- Kile K, Tian N, Durand D. Scn2a sodium channel mutation results in hyperexcitability in the hippocampus in vitro. Epilepsia. 2008;49:488-99 pubmed..of the hippocampus in Q54 mice that display spontaneous seizures because of a gain-of-function mutation of the Scn2a sodium channel gene...