Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Scd2
Description: stearoyl-Coenzyme A desaturase 2
Alias: Mir5114, Scd-2, mir-5114, swty, acyl-CoA desaturase 2, Acyl-CoA desaturase 2 (Stearoyl-CoA desaturase 2) (Fatty acid desaturase 2) (Delta(9)-desaturase 2), delta(9)-desaturase 2, fatty acid desaturase 2, stearoyl-CoA desaturase 2
- Maier H, Meixner M, Hartmann D, Sandhoff R, Wang Eckhardt L, Zöller I, et al. Normal fur development and sebum production depends on fatty acid 2-hydroxylase expression in sebaceous glands. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:25922-34 pubmed publisher..These results underline the importance of the sebaceous glands and suggest a role of specific sebaceous gland or sebum lipids, synthesized by FA2H, in the hair follicle homeostasis. ..
- Park E, Paisley E, Mangian H, Swartz D, Wu M, O Morchoe P, et al. Lipid level and type alter stearoyl CoA desaturase mRNA abundance differently in mice with distinct susceptibilities to diet-influenced diseases. J Nutr. 1997;127:566-73 pubmed..Genes regulated differently by diet among strains with distinct susceptibility to diet-influenced disease may be associated with molecular pathways contributing to incidence or severity. ..
- Miyazaki M, Dobrzyn A, Elias P, Ntambi J. Stearoyl-CoA desaturase-2 gene expression is required for lipid synthesis during early skin and liver development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:12501-6 pubmed..Here we show that the SCD2 isoform is important in lipid synthesis in early development and is required for survival...
- Shaw L, Johnson P, Kimber S. Gene expression profiling of the developing mouse kidney and embryo. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim. 2010;46:155-65 pubmed publisher..We demonstrated Cd24a, Cdh11, Mest, Scd2 and Sim2 were regulated during brain development, and Scd2, Cd24a and Sip1 expression was enriched in developing ..
- Sieber J, Weins A, Kampe K, Gruber S, Lindenmeyer M, Cohen C, et al. Susceptibility of podocytes to palmitic acid is regulated by stearoyl-CoA desaturases 1 and 2. Am J Pathol. 2013;183:735-44 pubmed publisher..In summary, SCD-1 up-regulation in diabetic nephropathy may be part of a protective mechanism against saturated FFA-derived toxic metabolites that drive endoplasmic reticulum stress and podocyte death. ..
- Patra D, DeLassus E, Liang G, Sandell L. Cartilage-specific ablation of site-1 protease in mice results in the endoplasmic reticulum entrapment of type IIb procollagen and down-regulation of cholesterol and lipid homeostasis. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e105674 pubmed publisher..This role appears not to be related to lipid pathways or other current known functions of S1P and is likely dependent on additional, yet unknown, S1P substrates in chondrocytes. ..
- Ntambi J. Regulation of stearoyl-CoA desaturase by polyunsaturated fatty acids and cholesterol. J Lipid Res. 1999;40:1549-58 pubmed..Two mouse and rat SCD genes (SCD1 and SCD2) and a single human SCD gene have been cloned and characterized...
- Masuda M, Miyazaki Anzai S, Keenan A, Okamura K, Kendrick J, Chonchol M, et al. Saturated phosphatidic acids mediate saturated fatty acid-induced vascular calcification and lipotoxicity. J Clin Invest. 2015;125:4544-58 pubmed publisher..role in the pathogenesis of vascular calcification and generated mice with SMC-specific deletion of both Scd1 and Scd2. Mice lacking both SCD1 and SCD2 in SMCs displayed severe vascular calcification with increased ER stress...
- Kaestner K, Ntambi J, Kelly T, Lane M. Differentiation-induced gene expression in 3T3-L1 preadipocytes. A second differentially expressed gene encoding stearoyl-CoA desaturase. J Biol Chem. 1989;264:14755-61 pubmed..and characterization of this gene and the corresponding cDNA which encode a second stearoyl-CoA desaturase, SCD2, 3T3-L1 adipocytes...
- Miyazaki M, Bruggink S, Ntambi J. Identification of mouse palmitoyl-coenzyme A Delta9-desaturase. J Lipid Res. 2006;47:700-4 pubmed..Fatty acid analysis showed that mouse SCD1, SCD2, and SCD4 desaturate both C18:0 and C16:0, whereas mouse SCD3 uses C16:0 but not C18:0...
- Tang L, Tian Z, Xiong Z, Zhang Y. [Study of the genes expression of SCD-2 and B-FABP in the mice brain of exercise-induced fatigue by genechip cDNA microarray]. Zhongguo Ying Yong Sheng Li Xue Za Zhi. 2005;21:137-9 pubmed..The genes expression of Scd-2 and B-FABP were obvious different in the brain of fatigued group mice than of control group. Exercise-induced nerve center fatigue is correlated with genes expressions of lipid metabolism. ..
- Verheijen M, Chrast R, Burrola P, Lemke G. Local regulation of fat metabolism in peripheral nerves. Genes Dev. 2003;17:2450-64 pubmed