Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Scarb1
Description: scavenger receptor class B, member 1
Alias: AI120173, CD36, Cd36l1, Chohd1, Cla-1, Cla1, D5Ertd460e, Hdlq1, Hlb398, SR-B1, SR-BI, SRBI, Srb1, mSR-BI, scavenger receptor class B member 1, HDL QTL 1, scavenger receptor class B type I, scavenger receptor class B1
- Mardones P, Quinones V, Amigo L, Moreno M, Miquel J, Schwarz M, et al. Hepatic cholesterol and bile acid metabolism and intestinal cholesterol absorption in scavenger receptor class B type I-deficient mice. J Lipid Res. 2001;42:170-80 pubmedThe scavenger receptor class B type I (SR-BI), which is expressed in the liver and intestine, plays a critical role in cholesterol metabolism in rodents...
- Ueda Y, Royer L, Gong E, Zhang J, Cooper P, Francone O, et al. Lower plasma levels and accelerated clearance of high density lipoprotein (HDL) and non-HDL cholesterol in scavenger receptor class B type I transgenic mice. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:7165-71 pubmedRecent studies have indicated that the scavenger receptor class B type I (SR-BI) may play an important role in the uptake of high density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesteryl ester in liver and steroidogenic tissues...
- Lim H, Thiam C, Yeo K, Bisoendial R, Hii C, McGrath K, et al. Lymphatic vessels are essential for the removal of cholesterol from peripheral tissues by SR-BI-mediated transport of HDL. Cell Metab. 2013;17:671-84 pubmed publisher..removal of cholesterol by lymphatic vessels is dependent on the uptake and transcytosis of HDL by scavenger receptor class B type I expressed on lymphatic endothelium...
- Vishnyakova T, Kurlander R, Bocharov A, Baranova I, Chen Z, Abu Asab M, et al. CLA-1 and its splicing variant CLA-2 mediate bacterial adhesion and cytosolic bacterial invasion in mammalian cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:16888-93 pubmedb>CD36 and LIMPII analog 1, CLA-1, and its splicing variant, CLA-2 (SR-BI and SR-BII in rodents), are human high density lipoprotein receptors with an identical extracellular domain which binds a spectrum of ligands including bacterial cell ..
- Karackattu S, Trigatti B, Krieger M. Hepatic lipase deficiency delays atherosclerosis, myocardial infarction, and cardiac dysfunction and extends lifespan in SR-BI/apolipoprotein E double knockout mice. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2006;26:548-54 pubmed
- Yesilaltay A, Kocher O, Pal R, Leiva A, Quinones V, Rigotti A, et al. PDZK1 is required for maintaining hepatic scavenger receptor, class B, type I (SR-BI) steady state levels but not its surface localization or function. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:28975-80 pubmed..Thus, PDZK1 is important for maintaining adequate steady state levels of SR-BI in the liver but is not essential for cell surface expression or function of hepatic SR-BI. ..
- Kozarsky K, Donahee M, Rigotti A, Iqbal S, Edelman E, Krieger M. Overexpression of the HDL receptor SR-BI alters plasma HDL and bile cholesterol levels. Nature. 1997;387:414-7 pubmed
- Acton S, Rigotti A, Landschulz K, Xu S, Hobbs H, Krieger M. Identification of scavenger receptor SR-BI as a high density lipoprotein receptor. Science. 1996;271:518-20 pubmed..SR-BI binds HDL with high affinity, is expressed primarily in liver and nonplacental steroidogenic tissues, and mediates selective cholesterol uptake by a mechanism distinct from the classic LDL receptor pathway. ..
- Ueda Y, Gong E, Royer L, Cooper P, Francone O, Rubin E. Relationship between expression levels and atherogenesis in scavenger receptor class B, type I transgenics. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:20368-73 pubmedBoth in vitro and in vivo studies of scavenger receptor class B type I (SR-BI) have implicated it as a likely participant in the metabolism of HDL cholesterol...
- Van Eck M, Bos I, Hildebrand R, Van Rij B, Van Berkel T. Dual role for scavenger receptor class B, type I on bone marrow-derived cells in atherosclerotic lesion development. Am J Pathol. 2004;165:785-94 pubmed..It thus appears that, depending on the stage of atherosclerotic lesion development, SR-BI in bone marrow-derived cells is either pro-atherogenic or anti-atherogenic, indicating a unique dual role in the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis. ..
- Braun A, Trigatti B, Post M, Sato K, Simons M, Edelberg J, et al. Loss of SR-BI expression leads to the early onset of occlusive atherosclerotic coronary artery disease, spontaneous myocardial infarctions, severe cardiac dysfunction, and premature death in apolipoprotein E-deficient mice. Circ Res. 2002;90:270-6 pubmed..Furthermore, these animals may be useful for preclinical testing of potential genetic and/or pharmacological therapies for CHD. ..
- Zhang Y, Da Silva J, Reilly M, Billheimer J, Rothblat G, Rader D. Hepatic expression of scavenger receptor class B type I (SR-BI) is a positive regulator of macrophage reverse cholesterol transport in vivo. J Clin Invest. 2005;115:2870-4 pubmedHepatic expression of the scavenger receptor class B type I (SR-BI) promotes selective uptake of HDL cholesterol by the liver and is believed to play a role in the process of reverse cholesterol transport (RCT)...
- Feng H, Guo L, Wang D, Gao H, Hou G, Zheng Z, et al. Deficiency of scavenger receptor BI leads to impaired lymphocyte homeostasis and autoimmune disorders in mice. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2011;31:2543-51 pubmed publisher..Its deficiency leads to impaired lymphocyte homeostasis and autoimmune disorders. Our findings reveal a previously unrecognized role of SR-BI in adaptive immunity. ..
- Miettinen H, Rayburn H, Krieger M. Abnormal lipoprotein metabolism and reversible female infertility in HDL receptor (SR-BI)-deficient mice. J Clin Invest. 2001;108:1717-22 pubmed..This suggests that abnormal lipoprotein metabolism can cause murine infertility--implying a functional hepatic-ovarian axis--and may contribute to some forms of human female infertility. ..
- Webb N, de Villiers W, Connell P, de Beer F, van der Westhuyzen D. Alternative forms of the scavenger receptor BI (SR-BI). J Lipid Res. 1997;38:1490-5 pubmed..2 protein and acquired the ability to take up fluorescent lipid (DiI) from DiI-HDL. Alternative splicing of SR-BI represents a potentially important process for the regulation of SR-BI expression and function. ..
- Zhang W, Yancey P, Su Y, Babaev V, Zhang Y, Fazio S, et al. Inactivation of macrophage scavenger receptor class B type I promotes atherosclerotic lesion development in apolipoprotein E-deficient mice. Circulation. 2003;108:2258-63 pubmedb>Scavenger receptor class B type I (SR-BI) is expressed in macrophages, where it has been proposed to facilitate cholesterol efflux...
- Kocher O, Birrane G, Tsukamoto K, Fenske S, Yesilaltay A, Pal R, et al. In vitro and in vivo analysis of the binding of the C terminus of the HDL receptor scavenger receptor class B, type I (SR-BI), to the PDZ1 domain of its adaptor protein PDZK1. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:34999-5010 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that there may be an additional site(s) within PDZK1 that bind(s) SR-BI and mediate(s) productive SR-BI-PDZK1 interaction previously attributed exclusively to the canonical binding of the C-terminal SR-BI to PDZ1. ..
- Holm T, Braun A, Trigatti B, Brugnara C, Sakamoto M, Krieger M, et al. Failure of red blood cell maturation in mice with defects in the high-density lipoprotein receptor SR-BI. Blood. 2002;99:1817-24 pubmed..We propose that autophagocytosis and phagolysosome expulsion are essential steps in erythroid maturation and that expulsion is inhibited in the presence of markedly increased cellular cholesterol. ..
- Van Eck M, Twisk J, Hoekstra M, Van Rij B, Van der Lans C, Bos I, et al. Differential effects of scavenger receptor BI deficiency on lipid metabolism in cells of the arterial wall and in the liver. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:23699-705 pubmedScavenger receptor class B, type I (SRBI) is a key regulator of high density lipoprotein (HDL) metabolism...
- Hoekstra M, Meurs I, Koenders M, Out R, Hildebrand R, Kruijt J, et al. Absence of HDL cholesteryl ester uptake in mice via SR-BI impairs an adequate adrenal glucocorticoid-mediated stress response to fasting. J Lipid Res. 2008;49:738-45 pubmed publisher..Therefore, in the current study, we evaluated the importance of scavenger receptor class B type I (SR-BI)-mediated cholesteryl ester uptake from HDL for adrenal glucocorticoid hormone synthesis in ..
- Yu H, Zhang W, Yancey P, Koury M, Zhang Y, Fazio S, et al. Macrophage apolipoprotein E reduces atherosclerosis and prevents premature death in apolipoprotein E and scavenger receptor-class BI double-knockout mice. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2006;26:150-6 pubmed..Macrophage apoE is able to rescue the lethal phenotype of apoE(-/-)SR-BI(-/-) mice by improving the dyslipidemia and dramatically reducing atherosclerotic lesion development. ..
- Trigatti B, Rayburn H, Vinals M, Braun A, Miettinen H, Penman M, et al. Influence of the high density lipoprotein receptor SR-BI on reproductive and cardiovascular pathophysiology. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:9322-7 pubmedThe high density lipoprotein (HDL) receptor SR-BI (scavenger receptor class B type I) mediates the selective uptake of plasma HDL cholesterol by the liver and steroidogenic tissues...
- Acton S, Scherer P, Lodish H, Krieger M. Expression cloning of SR-BI, a CD36-related class B scavenger receptor. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:21003-9 pubmed..Subsequently, the cell surface protein CD36 was shown to bind oxidized low density lipoprotein (oxidized LDL)...
- Covey S, Krieger M, Wang W, Penman M, Trigatti B. Scavenger receptor class B type I-mediated protection against atherosclerosis in LDL receptor-negative mice involves its expression in bone marrow-derived cells. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2003;23:1589-94 pubmedb>Scavenger receptor class B type I (SR-BI) is a cell-surface HDL receptor that is implicated in reverse cholesterol transport and protection against atherosclerosis...
- Rigotti A, Trigatti B, Penman M, Rayburn H, Herz J, Krieger M. A targeted mutation in the murine gene encoding the high density lipoprotein (HDL) receptor scavenger receptor class B type I reveals its key role in HDL metabolism. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:12610-5 pubmed..If it has a similar role in controlling plasma HDL in humans, SR-BI may influence the development and progression of atherosclerosis and may be an attractive candidate for therapeutic intervention in this disease. ..
- Yalaoui S, Huby T, Franetich J, Gego A, Rametti A, Moreau M, et al. Scavenger receptor BI boosts hepatocyte permissiveness to Plasmodium infection. Cell Host Microbe. 2008;4:283-92 pubmed publisher..These findings establish the mechanistic basis of the CD81-dependent Plasmodium sporozoite invasion pathway. ..
- Kocher O, Yesilaltay A, Shen C, Zhang S, Daniels K, Pal R, et al. Influence of PDZK1 on lipoprotein metabolism and atherosclerosis. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2008;1782:310-6 pubmed publisher..g., CFTR) and cell surface receptors. One of these, the HDL receptor, scavenger receptor class B type I (SR-BI), exhibits a striking, tissue-specific dependence on PDZK1 for its expression and activity...
- Kozarsky K, Donahee M, Glick J, Krieger M, Rader D. Gene transfer and hepatic overexpression of the HDL receptor SR-BI reduces atherosclerosis in the cholesterol-fed LDL receptor-deficient mouse. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2000;20:721-7 pubmed..Thus, stimulation of hepatic SR-BI activity may provide a novel target for therapeutic intervention in atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease. ..
- Lan D, Silver D. Fenofibrate induces a novel degradation pathway for scavenger receptor B-I independent of PDZK1. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:23390-6 pubmed..The further elucidation of this novel degradation pathway may provide new insights into the physiological and pathophysiological regulation of hepatic SR-BI. ..
- Korporaal S, Meurs I, Hauer A, Hildebrand R, Hoekstra M, Cate H, et al. Deletion of the high-density lipoprotein receptor scavenger receptor BI in mice modulates thrombosis susceptibility and indirectly affects platelet function by elevation of plasma free cholesterol. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2011;31:34-42 pubmed publisher..The function of SR-BI in HDL cholesterol homeostasis and prevention of atherosclerosis is indirectly also essential for maintaining normal platelet function and prevention of thrombosis. ..
- Murao K, Terpstra V, Green S, Kondratenko N, Steinberg D, Quehenberger O. Characterization of CLA-1, a human homologue of rodent scavenger receptor BI, as a receptor for high density lipoprotein and apoptotic thymocytes. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:17551-7 pubmed..The human CD36 and LIMPII analogous-1 (CLA-1) receptor shows high sequence homology with SR-BI, but their functional relationship ..
- Brill A, Yesilaltay A, De Meyer S, Kisucka J, Fuchs T, Kocher O, et al. Extrahepatic high-density lipoprotein receptor SR-BI and apoA-I protect against deep vein thrombosis in mice. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2012;32:1841-7 pubmed publisher..DVT model of inferior vena cava stenosis, we demonstrated that deficiency of the HDL receptor, scavenger receptor class B type I (SR-BI), promotes venous thrombosis...
- Scarselli E, Ansuini H, Cerino R, Roccasecca R, Acali S, Filocamo G, et al. The human scavenger receptor class B type I is a novel candidate receptor for the hepatitis C virus. EMBO J. 2002;21:5017-25 pubmed..We have identified the receptor responsible for E2 binding to human hepatic cells as the human scavenger receptor class B type I (SR-BI)...
- Stylianou I, Svenson K, VanOrman S, Langle Y, Millar J, Paigen B, et al. Novel ENU-induced point mutation in scavenger receptor class B, member 1, results in liver specific loss of SCARB1 protein. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e6521 pubmed publisher..The scavenger receptor class B member 1 (SCARB1) is the primary receptor for the selective uptake of HDL cholesterol by liver and ..
- Zhang Y, Ahmed A, McFarlane N, Capone C, Boreham D, Truant R, et al. Regulation of SR-BI-mediated selective lipid uptake in Chinese hamster ovary-derived cells by protein kinase signaling pathways. J Lipid Res. 2007;48:405-16 pubmed..These data demonstrate that SR-BI's selective lipid uptake activity can be acutely regulated by intracellular signaling cascades, some of which can originate from HDL binding to murine SR-BI itself. ..
- Out R, Kruijt J, Rensen P, Hildebrand R, de Vos P, Van Eck M, et al. Scavenger receptor BI plays a role in facilitating chylomicron metabolism. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:18401-6 pubmedThe function of scavenger receptor class B type I (SR-BI) in mediating the selective uptake of high density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol esters is well established...
- Fu T, Kozarsky K, Borensztajn J. Overexpression of SR-BI by adenoviral vector reverses the fibrateinduced hypercholesterolemia of apolipoprotein E-deficient mice. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:52559-63 pubmed
- Vinals M, Xu S, Vasile E, Krieger M. Identification of the N-linked glycosylation sites on the high density lipoprotein (HDL) receptor SR-BI and assessment of their effects on HDL binding and selective lipid uptake. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:5325-32 pubmed..The ability to uncouple the HDL binding and lipid transport activities of mSR-BI by in vitro mutagenesis should provide a powerful tool for further analysis of the mechanism of SR-BI-mediated selective lipid uptake. ..
- Varban M, Rinninger F, Wang N, Fairchild Huntress V, Dunmore J, Fang Q, et al. Targeted mutation reveals a central role for SR-BI in hepatic selective uptake of high density lipoprotein cholesterol. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:4619-24 pubmed..The inverse correlation between plasma HDL levels and atherosclerosis further suggests that SR-BI may influence the development of coronary artery disease. ..
- Meurs I, Hoekstra M, van Wanrooij E, Hildebrand R, Kuiper J, Kuipers F, et al. HDL cholesterol levels are an important factor for determining the lifespan of erythrocytes. Exp Hematol. 2005;33:1309-19 pubmed..SR-BI is not only essential for HDL cholesterol homeostasis and atherosclerosis susceptibility, but also for maintaining normal erythrocyte lifespan. ..
- Nakagawa Toyama Y, Zhang S, Krieger M. Dietary manipulation and social isolation alter disease progression in a murine model of coronary heart disease. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e47965 pubmed publisher..HypoE mice can be used for the analysis of the effects of environment (diet, social isolation) on a variety of features of cardiovascular disease. ..
- Nieland T, Penman M, Dori L, Krieger M, Kirchhausen T. Discovery of chemical inhibitors of the selective transfer of lipids mediated by the HDL receptor SR-BI. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:15422-7 pubmed
- Rodrigues C, Hannus M, Prudêncio M, Martin C, Gonçalves L, Portugal S, et al. Host scavenger receptor SR-BI plays a dual role in the establishment of malaria parasite liver infection. Cell Host Microbe. 2008;4:271-82 pubmed publisher..Additional analyses revealed that SR-BI plays a dual role in Plasmodium infection, affecting both sporozoite invasion and intracellular parasite development, and may therefore constitute a good target for malaria prophylaxis. ..
- Adorni M, Zimetti F, Billheimer J, Wang N, Rader D, Phillips M, et al. The roles of different pathways in the release of cholesterol from macrophages. J Lipid Res. 2007;48:2453-62 pubmed..Using macrophages from scavenger receptor class B type I (SR-BI)-, ABCA1-, and ABCG1-knockout mice, together with inhibitors of SR-BI- and ABCA1-mediated ..
- Huszar D, Varban M, Rinninger F, Feeley R, Arai T, Fairchild Huntress V, et al. Increased LDL cholesterol and atherosclerosis in LDL receptor-deficient mice with attenuated expression of scavenger receptor B1. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2000;20:1068-73 pubmed..These findings suggest that upregulation of the receptor could have therapeutic potential for the treatment of atherosclerosis. ..
- Cox J, Naher N, Abdelrahman Y, Belland R. Host HDL biogenesis machinery is recruited to the inclusion of Chlamydia trachomatis-infected cells and regulates chlamydial growth. Cell Microbiol. 2012;14:1497-512 pubmed publisher..of the host high-density lipoprotein (HDL) biogenesis machinery including the lipid effluxers, ABCA1 and CLA 1, and their extracellular lipid acceptor, apoA-1, are recruited to the inclusion of C.?trachomatis-infected cells...
- Kunjathoor V, Febbraio M, Podrez E, Moore K, Andersson L, Koehn S, et al. Scavenger receptors class A-I/II and CD36 are the principal receptors responsible for the uptake of modified low density lipoprotein leading to lipid loading in macrophages. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:49982-8 pubmed..The genetic inactivation of either of two SR family members, SR-A or CD36, has been shown previously to reduce oxidized LDL uptake in vitro and atherosclerotic lesions in mice...
- Gilibert S, Galle Treger L, Moreau M, Saint Charles F, Costa S, Ballaire R, et al. Adrenocortical scavenger receptor class B type I deficiency exacerbates endotoxic shock and precipitates sepsis-induced mortality in mice. J Immunol. 2014;193:817-26 pubmed publisherb>Scavenger receptor class B type I (SR-BI)-deficient mice display reduced survival to endotoxic shock and sepsis...
- SchÃ¤fer G, Guler R, Murray G, Brombacher F, Brown G. The role of scavenger receptor B1 in infection with Mycobacterium tuberculosis in a murine model. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e8448 pubmed publisher..Like many other receptors for these pathogens, the loss of SR-B1 can be functionally compensated for under normal conditions. ..
- Dissen E, Fossum S. Chromosomal localization of the genes encoding rat CD4, CD8alpha, and CD8beta. Immunogenetics. 1996;44:312-4 pubmed
- Rein Fischboeck L, Krautbauer S, Eisinger K, Pohl R, Meier E, Weiss T, et al. Hepatic scavenger receptor BI is associated with type 2 diabetes but unrelated to human and murine non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2015;467:377-82 pubmed publisher..SR-BI was higher in type 2 diabetes patients but not in those with hypercholesterolemia. The current study indicates a minor if any role of SR-BI in human and murine NAFLD. ..
- West X, Malinin N, Merkulova A, Tischenko M, Kerr B, Borden E, et al. Oxidative stress induces angiogenesis by activating TLR2 with novel endogenous ligands. Nature. 2010;467:972-6 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings establish a new function of TLR2 as a sensor of oxidation-associated molecular patterns, providing a key link connecting inflammation, oxidative stress, innate immunity and angiogenesis. ..
- Tsun J, Yung S, Chau M, Shiu S, Chan T, Tan K. Cellular cholesterol transport proteins in diabetic nephropathy. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e105787 pubmed publisher..proteins including adenosine triphosphate binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1), G1 (ABCG1) and scavenger receptor class B type I (SR-BI) in diabetic nephropathy...
- Jiménez L, Binelli M, Bertolin K, Pelletier R, Murphy B. Scavenger receptor-B1 and luteal function in mice. J Lipid Res. 2010;51:2362-71 pubmed publisher..circulating high-density lipoproteins supply cholesterol to ovarian cells via the scavenger receptor-B1 (SCARB1)...
- van der Westhuyzen D, Cai L, de Beer M, de Beer F. Serum amyloid A promotes cholesterol efflux mediated by scavenger receptor B-I. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:35890-5 pubmed..We conclude that the acute phase protein SAA plays an important role in HDL cholesterol metabolism by promoting cellular cholesterol efflux through a number of different efflux pathways...
- Su Z, Wang X, Tsaih S, Zhang A, Cox A, Sheehan S, et al. Genetic basis of HDL variation in 129/SvImJ and C57BL/6J mice: importance of testing candidate genes in targeted mutant mice. J Lipid Res. 2009;50:116-25 pubmed publisher..5, 6.3, 2.6, 1.1, and 0.6 Mb, respectively. These data will serve as a reference for any effort to test the impact of candidate genes on HDL using a knockout strategy. ..
- Seino Y, Miki T, Kiyonari H, Abe T, Fujimoto W, Kimura K, et al. Isx participates in the maintenance of vitamin A metabolism by regulation of beta-carotene 15,15'-monooxygenase (Bcmo1) expression. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:4905-11 pubmed..These data suggest that Isx participates in the maintenance of vitamin A metabolism by regulating Bcmo1 expression in the intestine. ..