Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Rdh1
Description: retinol dehydrogenase 1 (all trans)
Alias: retinol dehydrogenase 16, retinol dehydrogenase 1 (11-cis)
- Chai X, Zhai Y, Napoli J. cDNA cloning and characterization of a cis-retinol/3alpha-hydroxysterol short-chain dehydrogenase. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:33125-31 pubmed..These data also illustrate the multifunctional nature of short-chain dehydrogenases and provide a potential mechanism for androgen-retinoid interactions. ..
- Ulven S, Gundersen T, Sakhi A, Glover J, Blomhoff R. Quantitative axial profiles of retinoic acid in the embryonic mouse spinal cord: 9-cis retinoic acid only detected after all-trans-retinoic acid levels are super-elevated experimentally. Dev Dyn. 2001;222:341-53 pubmed..It sets definite limits on how much 9-cis-RA potentially is present and demonstrates that at-RA predominates over 9-cis-RA by at least 30- to 180-fold in different spinal cord regions. ..
- Zhang M, Thomas B, Napoli J. Gene structure and minimal promoter of mouse rdh1. Gene. 2003;305:121-31 pubmedMouse rdh1 encodes retinol dehydrogenase type 1 (RDH1), a short-chain dehydrogenase, which recognizes as substrates all-trans-retinol, 9-cis-retinol, 5alpha-androstan-3,17-diol and 5alpha-androstan-3-ol-17-one...
- Zhang M, Hu P, Napoli J. Elements in the N-terminal signaling sequence that determine cytosolic topology of short-chain dehydrogenases/reductases. Studies with retinol dehydrogenase type 1 and cis-retinol/androgen dehydrogenase type 1. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:51482-9 pubmed..We therefore determined the topology of mouse retinol dehydrogenase type 1 (Rdh1) and cis-retinoid androgen dehydrogenase type 1 (Crad1) in the endoplasmic reticulum of intact mammalian cells...
- Zhang M, Hu P, Krois C, KANE M, Napoli J. Altered vitamin A homeostasis and increased size and adiposity in the rdh1-null mouse. FASEB J. 2007;21:2886-96 pubmed..5 to e18.5) and liver (e12.5 to P2M) display inversely related mRNA expression of an Rodh ortholog, rdh1, and a major retinoic acid catabolic enzyme, cyp26a1, suggesting coordinate modulation of retinoic acid homeostasis...
- Driessen C, Winkens H, Kuhlmann L, Janssen B, van Vugt A, Deutman A, et al. Cloning and structural analysis of the murine GCN5L1 gene. Gene. 1997;203:27-31 pubmed..The murine GCN5L1, like the human GCN5L1 protein, displays weak homology (27%) to yeast GCN5. The distance between the murine, human and bovine GCN5L1 and 11-cis retinol dehydrogenase genes appeared to be conserved. ..
- Ulven S, Gundersen T, Weedon M, Landaas V, Sakhi A, Fromm S, et al. Identification of endogenous retinoids, enzymes, binding proteins, and receptors during early postimplantation development in mouse: important role of retinal dehydrogenase type 2 in synthesis of all-trans-retinoic acid. Dev Biol. 2000;220:379-91 pubmed..Therefore, our results suggest that RALDH2 is a key regulator in initiating retinoic acid synthesis sometime between the mid-primitive streak stage and the late allantoic bud stage in mouse embryos. ..
- Zhang M, Chen W, Smith S, Napoli J. Molecular characterization of a mouse short chain dehydrogenase/reductase active with all-trans-retinol in intact cells, mRDH1. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:44083-90 pubmed..in cell culture, and mRNA expression patterns in adult tissues and embryos of a mouse retinol dehydrogenase, RDH1. RDH1 represents a new member of the short chain dehydrogenase/reductase superfamily that differs from other mouse ..
- Rout U, Armant D. Expression of genes for alcohol and aldehyde metabolizing enzymes in mouse oocytes and preimplantation embryos. Reprod Toxicol. 2002;16:253-8 pubmed..The absence of enzymes to convert ethanol to acetaldehyde, coupled with oocyte expression of the acetaldehyde-degrading enzyme, Ahd-5, may be protective for the early embryo. ..
- Song M, Chen W, Zhang M, Napoli J. Identification of a mouse short-chain dehydrogenase/reductase gene, retinol dehydrogenase-similar. Function of non-catalytic amino acid residues in enzyme activity. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:40079-87 pubmed..RDH-S has no activity with prototypical retinoid/steroid substrates, despite 92% amino acid similarity to mouse RDH1. This afforded the opportunity to analyze for functions of non-catalytic SDR residues...
- Matt N, Schmidt C, Dupé V, Dennefeld C, Nau H, Chambon P, et al. Contribution of cellular retinol-binding protein type 1 to retinol metabolism during mouse development. Dev Dyn. 2005;233:167-76 pubmed..Therefore, CRBP1 is required in prenatal life to maintain normal amounts of ROL and to ensure its efficient storage but seems of secondary importance for RA synthesis, at least under conditions of maternal vitamin A sufficiency. ..