Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Ranbp2
Description: RAN binding protein 2
Alias: A430087B05Rik, AI256741, NUP358, E3 SUMO-protein ligase RanBP2, E3 SUMO-protein transferase RanBP2, ran-binding protein 2
- Ferreira P, Nakayama T, Travis G. Interconversion of red opsin isoforms by the cyclophilin-related chaperone protein Ran-binding protein 2. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:1556-61 pubmedRan-binding protein 2 (RanBP2) (type II) is a retinal cyclophilin-related protein that binds Ran-GTPase. Type I cyclophilin is a shorter, alternatively spliced isoform of RanBP2...
- Ferreira P, Nakayama T, Pak W, Travis G. Cyclophilin-related protein RanBP2 acts as chaperone for red/green opsin. Nature. 1996;383:637-40 pubmed..Type-II cyclophilin is identical to RanBP2, a large protein that binds the GTPase Ran...
- Ferreira P, Hom J, Pak W. Retina-specifically expressed novel subtypes of bovine cyclophilin. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:23179-88 pubmed..The results suggest that, in cones, the main function of these proteins is, like the NinaA protein, to facilitate proper folding or intracellular transport of opsins. ..
- Cai Y, Singh B, Aslanukov A, Zhao H, Ferreira P. The docking of kinesins, KIF5B and KIF5C, to Ran-binding protein 2 (RanBP2) is mediated via a novel RanBP2 domain. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:41594-602 pubmedThe Ran-binding protein 2 (RanBP2) is a vertebrate mosaic protein composed of four interspersed RanGTPase binding domains (RBDs), a variable and species-specific zinc finger cluster domain, leucine-rich, cyclophilin, and cyclophilin-like (..
- Mavlyutov T, Cai Y, Ferreira P. Identification of RanBP2- and kinesin-mediated transport pathways with restricted neuronal and subcellular localization. Traffic. 2002;3:630-40 pubmed..This biological process remains elusive in neurons. RanBP2 has been localized at the nuclear pore complexes and is very abundant in the neuroretina...
- Fauser S, Aslanukov A, Roepman R, Ferreira P. Genomic organization, expression, and localization of murine Ran-binding protein 2 (RanBP2) gene. Mamm Genome. 2001;12:406-15 pubmedThe Ran-binding protein 2 (RanBP2) is a giant scaffold and mosaic cyclophilin-related nucleoporin implicated in the Ran-GTPase cycle. There are no orthologs of the RanBP2 gene in yeast and Drosophila genomes...
- Um J, Min D, Rhim H, Kim J, Paik S, Chung K. Parkin ubiquitinates and promotes the degradation of RanBP2. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:3595-603 pubmed..Here we reported that Parkin selectively binds to RanBP2, which is localized in the cytoplasmic filament of the nuclear pore complex and belongs to the small ubiquitin-..
- Ferreira P, Yunfei C, Schick D, Roepman R. The cyclophilin-like domain mediates the association of Ran-binding protein 2 with subunits of the 19 S regulatory complex of the proteasome. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:24676-82 pubmed
- Matunis M, Coutavas E, Blobel G. A novel ubiquitin-like modification modulates the partitioning of the Ran-GTPase-activating protein RanGAP1 between the cytosol and the nuclear pore complex. J Cell Biol. 1996;135:1457-70 pubmed..Moreover, the variety and function of ubiquitin-like protein modifications in the cell may be more diverse than previously realized. ..
- Cho K, Yi H, Tserentsoodol N, Searle K, Ferreira P. Neuroprotection resulting from insufficiency of RANBP2 is associated with the modulation of protein and lipid homeostasis of functionally diverse but linked pathways in response to oxidative stress. Dis Model Mech. 2010;3:595-604 pubmed publisher..Insufficiency of RAN-binding protein-2 (RANBP2), a large, mosaic protein with pleiotropic functions, suppresses apoptosis of photoreceptor neurons upon aging and ..
- Wilken N, Senecal J, Scheer U, Dabauvalle M. Localization of the Ran-GTP binding protein RanBP2 at the cytoplasmic side of the nuclear pore complex. Eur J Cell Biol. 1995;68:211-9 pubmedA partial cDNA clone coding for the mouse homologue of the human Ran-GTP binding protein, RanBP2, has been isolated by screening of a murine expression library with antibodies to nup180, a previously identified nuclear pore complex ..
- Patil H, Cho K, Lee J, Yang Y, Orry A, Ferreira P. Kinesin-1 and mitochondrial motility control by discrimination of structurally equivalent but distinct subdomains in Ran-GTP-binding domains of Ran-binding protein 2. Open Biol. 2013;3:120183 pubmed publisher..The Ran-binding protein 2 (RanBP2) contains four interspersed Ran GTPase-binding domains (RBD(n = 1-4)) with close structural homology to the PH ..
- Cho K, Haque M, Wang J, Yu M, Hao Y, Qiu S, et al. Distinct and atypical intrinsic and extrinsic cell death pathways between photoreceptor cell types upon specific ablation of Ranbp2 in cone photoreceptors. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003555 pubmed publisher..Here we show that conditional ablation in cone photoreceptors of Ran-binding protein-2 (Ranbp2), a cell context-dependent pleiotropic protein linked to neuroprotection, familial necrotic encephalopathies, ..
- Cho K, Haney V, Yoon D, Hao Y, Ferreira P. Uncoupling phototoxicity-elicited neural dysmorphology and death by insidious function and selective impairment of Ran-binding protein 2 (Ranbp2). FEBS Lett. 2015;589:3959-68 pubmed publisher..We show that Ranbp2(-/-)::Tg-Ranbp2(CLDm-HA) mice with mutations in SUMO-binding motif (SBM) of cyclophilin-like domain (CLD) of Ran-..
- Kim H, Lee S, Lee H, Kim E, Ko J, Lee K. Zap70 and downstream RanBP2 are required for the exact timing of the meiotic cell cycle in oocytes. Cell Cycle. 2017;16:1534-1546 pubmed publisher..protein kinase 70 (Zap70) regulates spindle assembly and chromosome alignment in mouse oocyte and that Ran binding protein 2 (RanBP2) is a highly associated gene with Zap70 based on a microarray analysis...
- Asally M, Yasuda Y, Oka M, Otsuka S, Yoshimura S, Takeyasu K, et al. Nup358, a nucleoporin, functions as a key determinant of the nuclear pore complex structure remodeling during skeletal myogenesis. FEBS J. 2011;278:610-21 pubmed publisher..present study, we evaluate changes in the expression levels of several nucleoporins and show that the amount of Nup358/RanBP2 within individual NPCs increases during muscle differentiation in C2C12 cells...
- Renner O, Fominaya J, Alonso S, Blanco Aparicio C, Leal J, Carnero A. Mst1, RanBP2 and eIF4G are new markers for in vivo PI3K activation in murine and human prostate. Carcinogenesis. 2007;28:1418-25 pubmed..To establish also transcriptional ('late') targets of the PI3K pathway, we tested two genes, Mst1 and RanBP2, which we recently described as transcriptional targets of the growth factor platelet-derived growth factor-beta...
- Uchimura Y, Nakao M, Saitoh H. Generation of SUMO-1 modified proteins in E. coli: towards understanding the biochemistry/structural biology of the SUMO-1 pathway. FEBS Lett. 2004;564:85-90 pubmed..that large amounts of sumoylated Ran GTPase activating protein 1 C-terminal region (RanGAP1-C2), Ran binding protein 2 internal repeat domain, p53 and promyelocytic leukemia were efficiently produced...
- Patil H, Saha A, Senda E, Cho K, Haque M, Yu M, et al. Selective impairment of a subset of Ran-GTP-binding domains of ran-binding protein 2 (Ranbp2) suffices to recapitulate the degeneration of the retinal pigment epithelium (RPE) triggered by Ranbp2 ablation. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:29767-89 pubmed publisher..The pleiotropic Ranbp2 controls the expression of intrinsic and extrinsic pathological stressors impinging on cellular viability...
- Saitoh N, Sakamoto C, Hagiwara M, Agredano Moreno L, Jiménez García L, Nakao M. The distribution of phosphorylated SR proteins and alternative splicing are regulated by RANBP2. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:1115-28 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates that the speckled distribution of phosphorylated pre-mRNA processing factors is regulated by the nucleocytoplasmic transport system in mammalian cells and that it is important for alternative splicing. ..
- Olsson M, Schéele S, Ekblom P. Limited expression of nuclear pore membrane glycoprotein 210 in cell lines and tissues suggests cell-type specific nuclear pores in metazoans. Exp Cell Res. 2004;292:359-70 pubmed..Although it cannot be excluded that very low expression levels of gp210 are sufficient to allow attachment of NPCs, a more likely alternative is that it has cell-type specific functions. ..
- Cho K, Patil H, Senda E, Wang J, Yi H, Qiu S, et al. Differential loss of prolyl isomerase or chaperone activity of Ran-binding protein 2 (Ranbp2) unveils distinct physiological roles of its cyclophilin domain in proteostasis. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:4600-25 pubmed publisher..stemming from potential cyclophilin functions, we generated mice lacking endogenous Ran-binding protein-2 (Ranbp2) and expressing bacterial artificial chromosomes of Ranbp2 with impaired C-terminal chaperone and with (Tg-Ranbp2(..
- Cho K, Yoon D, Qiu S, Danziger Z, Grill W, Wetsel W, et al. Loss of Ranbp2 in motoneurons causes disruption of nucleocytoplasmic and chemokine signaling, proteostasis of hnRNPH3 and Mmp28, and development of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis-like syndromes. Dis Model Mech. 2017;10:559-579 pubmed publisher..The cytosolic and peripheral nucleoporin Ranbp2 is a crucial regulator of the Ran GTPase cycle and of the proteostasis of neurological disease-prone substrates, ..