Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Rab5a
Description: RAB5A, member RAS oncogene family
Alias: 2410015H04Rik, AI663973, AU021172, nnyRab5a, ras-related protein Rab-5A
- Lodhi I, Bridges D, Chiang S, Zhang Y, Cheng A, Geletka L, et al. Insulin stimulates phosphatidylinositol 3-phosphate production via the activation of Rab5. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:2718-28 pubmed publisher..Together, these studies suggest that the TC10/GAPEX-5/Rab5 axis mediates insulin-stimulated production of PI(3)P, which regulates trafficking of Glut4 vesicles. ..
- Vardar G, Chang S, Arancillo M, Wu Y, Trimbuch T, Rosenmund C. Distinct Functions of Syntaxin-1 in Neuronal Maintenance, Synaptic Vesicle Docking, and Fusion in Mouse Neurons. J Neurosci. 2016;36:7911-24 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our work provides insights into differential functions of Stx1 in neuronal maintenance and neurotransmission, with the latter explored further into its functions in vesicle docking and fusion. ..
- Yuasa K, Yamagami S, Nagahama M, Tsuji A. Trafficking of cGMP-dependent protein kinase II via interaction with Rab11. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008;374:522-6 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that Rab11b is necessary for the trafficking of cGK-II and that the cGMP/cGK-II signaling pathway is closely related to Rab11b recycling pathway. ..
- Gruenheid S, Pinner E, Desjardins M, Gros P. Natural resistance to infection with intracellular pathogens: the Nramp1 protein is recruited to the membrane of the phagosome. J Exp Med. 1997;185:717-30 pubmed
- Shin S, Vogt E, Jimenez Movilla M, Baibakov B, Dean J. Cytoplasmic cleavage of DPPA3 is required for intracellular trafficking and cleavage-stage development in mice. Nat Commun. 2017;8:1643 pubmed publisher..Thus, the N-terminus of DPPA3 has a significant role in cytoplasmic vesicular trafficking in addition to its previously reported nuclear function. ..
- Kawamura N, Sun Wada G, Aoyama M, Harada A, Takasuga S, Sasaki T, et al. Delivery of endosomes to lysosomes via microautophagy in the visceral endoderm of mouse embryos. Nat Commun. 2012;3:1071 pubmed publisher..Loss of rab7 function results in severe inhibition of this endocytic pathway. Our results indicate that the microautophagic process and flow of the endocytic membrane have essential roles in early embryonic development...
- Lippuner C, Paape D, Paterou A, Brand J, Richardson M, Smith A, et al. Real-time imaging of Leishmania mexicana-infected early phagosomes: a study using primary macrophages generated from green fluorescent protein-Rab5 transgenic mice. FASEB J. 2009;23:483-91 pubmed publisher..mexicana survival or replication...
- Hilditch Maguire P, Trettel F, Passani L, Auerbach A, Persichetti F, MacDonald M. Huntingtin: an iron-regulated protein essential for normal nuclear and perinuclear organelles. Hum Mol Genet. 2000;9:2789-97 pubmed..Thus, organelles that require huntingtin to function suggest roles for the protein in RNA biogenesis, trafficking and iron homeostasis to be explored in HD pathogenesis. ..
- Yaqoob U, Jagavelu K, Shergill U, de Assuncao T, Cao S, Shah V. FGF21 promotes endothelial cell angiogenesis through a dynamin-2 and Rab5 dependent pathway. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e98130 pubmed publisher..These studies extend our understanding of the relationships between RTK binding, internalization, endosomal targeting, and angiogenic signaling. ..
- Wild F, Khan M, Straka T, Rudolf R. Progress of endocytic CHRN to autophagic degradation is regulated by RAB5-GTPase and T145 phosphorylation of SH3GLB1 at mouse neuromuscular junctions in vivo. Autophagy. 2016;12:2300-2310 pubmed..In summary, these findings suggest that SH3GLB1 controls CHRN endocytic trafficking in a phosphorylation- and RAB5-dependent manner at steps upstream of autophagosome formation. ..
- Mestres I, Chuang J, Calegari F, Conde C, Sung C. SARA regulates neuronal migration during neocortical development through L1 trafficking. Development. 2016;143:3143-53 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that SARA regulates the orientation, multipolar-to-bipolar transition and the positioning of cortical neurons via modulating surface L1 expression. ..
- Maganto Garcia E, Punzon C, Terhorst C, Fresno M. Rab5 activation by Toll-like receptor 2 is required for Trypanosoma cruzi internalization and replication in macrophages. Traffic. 2008;9:1299-315 pubmed publisher..In this process, active Rab5 colocalized with parasites in the phagosome and with the Rab5A effector molecule early endosomal antigen 1. Phagosome formation and T...
- Grego Bessa J, Bloomekatz J, Castel P, Omelchenko T, Baselga J, Anderson K. The tumor suppressor PTEN and the PDK1 kinase regulate formation of the columnar neural epithelium. elife. 2016;5:e12034 pubmed publisher..The data suggest that appropriate levels of membrane-associated PDPK1 are required for stabilization of apical junctions, which promotes cell elongation, during epithelial morphogenesis. ..
- Woller B, Luiskandl S, Popovic M, Prieler B, Ikonge G, Mutzl M, et al. Rin-like, a novel regulator of endocytosis, acts as guanine nucleotide exchange factor for Rab5a and Rab22. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2011;1813:1198-210 pubmed publisherRIN proteins serve as guanine nucleotide exchange factors for Rab5a. They are characterized by the presence of a RIN homology domain and a C-terminal Vps9 domain. Currently three family members have been described and analyzed...
- Kakumoto T, Nakata T. Optogenetic control of PIP3: PIP3 is sufficient to induce the actin-based active part of growth cones and is regulated via endocytosis. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e70861 pubmed publisher..We also found that endocytosis regulates effective PIP3 concentration at plasma membranes. These results revealed the local dynamics and primary functions of PIP3, providing fundamental information about PIP3 signaling in neurons. ..
- Marchand S, Devillers Thiery A, Pons S, Changeux J, Cartaud J. Rapsyn escorts the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor along the exocytic pathway via association with lipid rafts. J Neurosci. 2002;22:8891-901 pubmed..These data also raise the interesting hypothesis of the participation of the raft machinery in the targeting of signaling molecules to synaptic sites. ..
- Zhang X, He X, Fu X, Chang Z. Varp is a Rab21 guanine nucleotide exchange factor and regulates endosome dynamics. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:1053-62 pubmed..These results suggest that Varp is a potential Rab21 guanine nucleotide exchange factor and might regulate endosome dynamics in vivo. ..
- Jouret F, Auzanneau C, Debaix H, Wada G, Pretto C, Marbaix E, et al. Ubiquitous and kidney-specific subunits of vacuolar H+-ATPase are differentially expressed during nephrogenesis. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2005;16:3235-46 pubmed..They provide new insights into the complex regulation of V-ATPase subunits, the maturation of IC along the nephron, and the pathophysiology of hereditary dRTA. ..
- Zhu H, Qian H, Li G. Delayed onset of positive feedback activation of Rab5 by Rabex-5 and Rabaptin-5 in endocytosis. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e9226 pubmed publisher..Thus the direct and indirect pathways cooperate in the regulation of early endosome fusion. ..
- Murphy C, Zerial M. Expression of Rab proteins during mouse embryonic development. Methods Enzymol. 1995;257:324-32 pubmed
- Nakatsu F, Messa M, NÃ¡ndez R, Czapla H, Zou Y, Strittmatter S, et al. Sac2/INPP5F is an inositol 4-phosphatase that functions in the endocytic pathway. J Cell Biol. 2015;209:85-95 pubmed publisher..Sac2/INPP5F and OCRL may cooperate in the sequential dephosphorylation of PI(4,5)P2 at the 5 and 4 position of inositol in a partnership that mimics that of the two phosphatase modules of synaptojanin. ..
- Urresti J, Ruiz Meana M, Coccia E, ArÃ©valo J, Castellano J, FernÃ¡ndez Sanz C, et al. Lifeguard Inhibits Fas Ligand-mediated Endoplasmic Reticulum-Calcium Release Mandatory for Apoptosis in Type II Apoptotic Cells. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:1221-34 pubmed publisher..On the basis of our observations, we propose that there is a required step in the induction of type II apoptotic cell death that involves calcium mobilization from the ER and that this step is modulated by LFG. ..
- Yoshida S, Hoppe A, Araki N, Swanson J. Sequential signaling in plasma-membrane domains during macropinosome formation in macrophages. J Cell Sci. 2009;122:3250-61 pubmed publisher..Rac1 and PtdIns(3,4,5)P(3) deactivation and coincided with accumulation of phosphatidylinositol 3-phosphate and Rab5a. Thus, ruffle closure creates a circular domain of plasma membrane that localizes the activation and deactivation ..
- Dalfo E, Gomez Isla T, Rosa J, Nieto Bodelón M, Cuadrado Tejedor M, Barrachina M, et al. Abnormal alpha-synuclein interactions with Rab proteins in alpha-synuclein A30P transgenic mice. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 2004;63:302-13 pubmed..This rationale is consistent with previous data showing that short-term hippocampal synaptic plasticity is altered and that alpha-synuclein accumulates in the cytoplasm of neurons in Tg mice. ..
- Schindler C, Chen Y, Pu J, Guo X, Bonifacino J. EARP is a multisubunit tethering complex involved in endocytic recycling. Nat Cell Biol. 2015;17:639-50 pubmed publisher..Depletion of syndetin or syntaxin 6 delays recycling of internalized transferrin to the cell surface. These findings implicate EARP in canonical membrane-fusion events in the process of endocytic recycling. ..
- Ouyang Q, Lizarraga S, Schmidt M, Yang U, Gong J, Ellisor D, et al. Christianson syndrome protein NHE6 modulates TrkB endosomal signaling required for neuronal circuit development. Neuron. 2013;80:97-112 pubmed publisher..Finally, exogenous BDNF rescues defects in neuronal arborization. We propose that NHE6 mutation leads to circuit defects that are in part due to impoverished neuronal arborization that may be treatable by enhanced TrkB signaling. ..
- Ma C, Wang N, Detre C, Wang G, O Keeffe M, Terhorst C. Receptor signaling lymphocyte-activation molecule family 1 (Slamf1) regulates membrane fusion and NADPH oxidase 2 (NOX2) activity by recruiting a Beclin-1/Vps34/ultraviolet radiation resistance-associated gene (UVRAG) complex. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:18359-65 pubmed publisher
- Mishra A, Eathiraj S, Corvera S, Lambright D. Structural basis for Rab GTPase recognition and endosome tethering by the C2H2 zinc finger of Early Endosomal Autoantigen 1 (EEA1). Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:10866-71 pubmed publisher..How these C(2)H(2) zinc fingers recognize Rab GTPases remains unknown. Here, we report the crystal structure of Rab5A in complex with the EEA1 C(2)H(2) zinc finger...
- Dou Z, Pan J, Dbouk H, Ballou L, Deleon J, Fan Y, et al. Class IA PI3K p110? subunit promotes autophagy through Rab5 small GTPase in response to growth factor limitation. Mol Cell. 2013;50:29-42 pubmed publisher..Hence, in mammalian cells, p110? acts as a molecular sensor for growth factor availability and induces autophagy by activating a Rab5-mediated signaling cascade. ..
- Barbosa M, Wakeland E, Zerial M, Kingsmore S. Genetic mapping of the Rab5a and Rab5b genes on mouse Chromosomes 17 and 2, respectively. Mamm Genome. 1996;7:166-7 pubmed
- Toda S, Hanayama R, Nagata S. Two-step engulfment of apoptotic cells. Mol Cell Biol. 2012;32:118-25 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the Tim4/integrin-mediated engulfment by the Ba/F3 cells was enhanced in cells expressing Rac1 and Rab5, suggesting that this system well reproduces the engulfment of apoptotic cells by macrophages. ..
- Gurkan C, Lapp H, Alory C, Su A, Hogenesch J, Balch W. Large-scale profiling of Rab GTPase trafficking networks: the membrome. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:3847-64 pubmed..An interactive website for exploring datasets comprising components of the Rab-regulated hubs that define the membrome of different cell and organ systems in both human and mouse is available at http://www.membrome.org/. ..
- Zeigerer A, Gilleron J, Bogorad R, Marsico G, Nonaka H, Seifert S, et al. Rab5 is necessary for the biogenesis of the endolysosomal system in vivo. Nature. 2012;485:465-70 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate for the first time, to our knowledge, the role of Rab5 as an endosome organizer in vivo and reveal the resilience mechanisms of the endocytic system...
- Cerqueira D, Tran U, Romaker D, Abreu J, Wessely O. Sterol carrier protein 2 regulates proximal tubule size in the Xenopus pronephric kidney by modulating lipid rafts. Dev Biol. 2014;394:54-64 pubmed publisher..Together these data underscore the importance for localized signaling platforms in the proper formation of the Xenopus kidney. ..
- Xu W, Weissmiller A, White J, Fang F, Wang X, Wu Y, et al. Amyloid precursor protein-mediated endocytic pathway disruption induces axonal dysfunction and neurodegeneration. J Clin Invest. 2016;126:1815-33 pubmed publisher..Our data strongly support the emerging concept that dysregulation of Rab5 activity contributes importantly to early pathogenesis of AD and DS. ..
- Hume A, Collinson L, Rapak A, Gomes A, Hopkins C, Seabra M. Rab27a regulates the peripheral distribution of melanosomes in melanocytes. J Cell Biol. 2001;152:795-808 pubmed
- Liu L, He B, Liu W, Zhou D, Cox J, Zhang X. Tetraspanin CD151 promotes cell migration by regulating integrin trafficking. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:31631-42 pubmed..In conclusion, the YXXvarphi motif-mediated internalization of CD151 promotes integrin-dependent cell migration by modulating the endocytosis and/or vesicular trafficking of its associated integrins. ..
- Zeigerer A, Bogorad R, Sharma K, Gilleron J, Seifert S, Sales S, et al. Regulation of liver metabolism by the endosomal GTPase Rab5. Cell Rep. 2015;11:884-892 pubmed publisher..Our data highlight a requirement of Rab5 and the endosomal system for the regulation of gluconeogenic gene expression that has important implications for metabolic diseases. ..
- Fuchs U, Hause G, Schuchardt I, Steinberg G. Endocytosis is essential for pathogenic development in the corn smut fungus Ustilago maydis. Plant Cell. 2006;18:2066-81 pubmed..Thus, we conclude that endocytosis is essential for recognition of the partner at the beginning of the pathogenic program but has additional roles in mating as well as spore formation and germination. ..
- Nechiporuk T, Fernandez T, Vasioukhin V. Failure of epithelial tube maintenance causes hydrocephalus and renal cysts in Dlg5-/- mice. Dev Cell. 2007;13:338-50 pubmed..These findings show that Dlg5 is causally involved in hydrocephalus and renal cysts and reveal that targeted membrane delivery of cadherin-catenin adhesion complexes is critical for cell polarity and epithelial tube maintenance. ..
- Holt M, Varoqueaux F, Wiederhold K, Takamori S, Urlaub H, Fasshauer D, et al. Identification of SNAP-47, a novel Qbc-SNARE with ubiquitous expression. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:17076-83 pubmed..However, neither complex assembly nor fusion was as efficient as with SNAP-25. ..
- Olsen O, Moore K, Fukata M, Kazuta T, Trinidad J, Kauer F, et al. Neurotransmitter release regulated by a MALS-liprin-alpha presynaptic complex. J Cell Biol. 2005;170:1127-34 pubmed..These findings are consistent with a model whereby the MALS-CASK-liprin-alpha complex recruits components of the synaptic release machinery to adhesive proteins of the active zone. ..
- Lin M, Liu H, Xiong Q, Niu H, Cheng Z, Yamamoto A, et al. Ehrlichia secretes Etf-1 to induce autophagy and capture nutrients for its growth through RAB5 and class III phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase. Autophagy. 2016;12:2145-2166 pubmed..Moreover, ATG5 and RAB5A/B/C were routed to ehrlichial inclusions...
- Seaman M. Cargo-selective endosomal sorting for retrieval to the Golgi requires retromer. J Cell Biol. 2004;165:111-22 pubmed..The data presented here support the hypothesis that retromer performs a selective function in endosome-to-Golgi transport, mediating retrieval of the CI-MPR, but not furin. ..