Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Prss12
Description: protease, serine 12 neurotrypsin (motopsin)
Alias: Bssp-3, motopsin, neurotrypsin, brain-specific serine protease 3, serine protease 12
- Szabo R, Hobson J, Christoph K, Kosa P, List K, Bugge T. Regulation of cell surface protease matriptase by HAI2 is essential for placental development, neural tube closure and embryonic survival in mice. Development. 2009;136:2653-63 pubmed publisher..This study indicates that unregulated matriptase-dependent cell surface proteolysis can cause a diverse array of abnormalities in mammalian development. ..
- Reif R, Sales S, Hettwer S, Dreier B, Gisler C, Wölfel J, et al. Specific cleavage of agrin by neurotrypsin, a synaptic protease linked to mental retardation. FASEB J. 2007;21:3468-78 pubmedThe synaptic serine protease neurotrypsin is thought to be important for adaptive synaptic processes required for cognitive functions, because humans deficient in neurotrypsin suffer from severe mental retardation...
- Bolliger M, Zurlinden A, Lüscher D, Bütikofer L, Shakhova O, Francolini M, et al. Specific proteolytic cleavage of agrin regulates maturation of the neuromuscular junction. J Cell Sci. 2010;123:3944-55 pubmed publisher..Excessive cleavage of agrin via transgenic overexpression of an agrin-cleaving protease, neurotrypsin, in motoneurons resulted in excessive reorganizational activity of the NMJs, leading to rapid dispersal of the ..
- Bütikofer L, Zurlinden A, Bolliger M, Kunz B, Sonderegger P. Destabilization of the neuromuscular junction by proteolytic cleavage of agrin results in precocious sarcopenia. FASEB J. 2011;25:4378-93 pubmed publisher..We recently found that overexpression of the neural serine protease neurotrypsin in motoneurons resulted in the degeneration of their neuromuscular junctions (NMJ) within days...
- Simon R, Lufkin T. Postnatal lethality in mice lacking the Sax2 homeobox gene homologous to Drosophila S59/slouch: evidence for positive and negative autoregulation. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:9046-60 pubmed..Intriguingly, our studies also demonstrated a striking autoregulation of the Sax2 gene in both positive- and negative-feedback mechanisms depending on the specific cell type expressing Sax2. ..
- Gisler C, Lüscher D, Schätzle P, Dürr S, Baici A, Galliciotti G, et al. Zymogen activation of neurotrypsin and neurotrypsin-dependent agrin cleavage on the cell surface are enhanced by glycosaminoglycans. Biochem J. 2013;453:83-100 pubmed publisherThe serine peptidase neurotrypsin is stored in presynaptic nerve endings and secreted in an inactive zymogenic form by synaptic activity...
- Mitsui S, Hidaka C, Furihata M, Osako Y, Yuri K. A mental retardation gene, motopsin/prss12, modulates cell morphology by interaction with seizure-related gene 6. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2013;436:638-44 pubmed publisherA serine protease, motopsin (prss12), plays a significant role in cognitive function and the development of the brain, since the loss of motopsin function causes severe mental retardation in humans and enhances social behavior in mice...
- Yamamura Y, Yamashiro K, Tsuruoka N, Nakazato H, Tsujimura A, Yamaguchi N. Molecular cloning of a novel brain-specific serine protease with a kringle-like structure and three scavenger receptor cysteine-rich motifs. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1997;239:386-92 pubmed..Northern blot analysis demonstrated that mBSSP-3 mRNA was specifically expressed in the mouse brain, lung and kidney. We concluded that a novel brain serine protease, BSSP-3, is a new member of kringle and SRCR superfamilies. ..