Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Prop1
Description: paired like homeodomain factor 1
Alias: Prop-1, Ames dwarf, homeobox protein prophet of Pit-1, pituitary specific homeodomain factor, pituitary-specific homeodomain factor, prophet of Pit-1
- Pituitary lineage determination by the Prophet of Pit-1 homeodomain factor defective in Ames dwarfismM W Sornson
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla 92093, USA
Nature 384:327-33. 1996The gene apparently responsible for a heritable form of murine pituitary-dependent dwarfism (Ames dwarf, df) has been positionally cloned, identifying a novel, tissue-specific, paired-like homeodomain transcription factor, termed Prophet ..
- Mutations in PROP1 cause familial combined pituitary hormone deficiencyW Wu
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla 92093 0648, USA
Nat Genet 18:147-9. 1998..The Ames dwarf (df) mouse displays a similar phenotype, and appears to be epistatic to Snell and Jackson dwarfism...
- Anterior pituitary cells defective in the cell-autonomous factor, df, undergo cell lineage specification but not expansionP J Gage
Department of Human Genetics, University of Michigan Medical School, Medical Science II M3816, Ann Arbor 48109 0618, USA
Development 122:151-60. 1996The Ames dwarf mouse transmits a recessive mutation (df) resulting in a profound anterior pituitary hypocellularity due to a general lack of thyrotropes, somatotropes and lactotropes...
- Role of PROP1 in pituitary gland growthRobert D Ward
Graduate Program in Cellular and Molecular Biology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0638, USA
Mol Endocrinol 19:698-710. 2005Mutations in the PROP1 transcription factor gene lead to reduced production of thyrotropin, GH, prolactin, and gonadotropins as well as to pituitary hypoplasia in adult humans and mice...
- Pituitary hypoplasia and respiratory distress syndrome in Prop1 knockout miceIgor O Nasonkin
Department of Human Genetics, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Hum Mol Genet 13:2727-35. 2004Mutations in Prophet of PIT1 (Prop1), one of several homeodomain transcription factors that are required for the development of the anterior pituitary gland, are the predominant cause of MPHD (multiple pituitary hormone deficiency) in ..
- Developmental regulation of Notch signaling genes in the embryonic pituitary: Prop1 deficiency affects Notch2 expressionL T Raetzman
Human Genetics, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0638, USA
Dev Biol 265:329-40. 2004..Mutations in the transcription factor Prop1 interfere with pituitary growth and cell specification, although the mechanism is unknown...
- Biochemical and genetic characterization of the porcine Prophet of Pit-1 pituitary transcription factorK W Sloop
Department of Biology, Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis, 723 West Michigan Street, Indianapolis, IN 46202 5132, USA
Mol Cell Endocrinol 168:77-87. 2000....
- Persistent Prop1 expression delays gonadotrope differentiation and enhances pituitary tumor susceptibilityL J Cushman
Department of Human Genetics, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0638, USA
Hum Mol Genet 10:1141-53. 2001The 'paired'-like homeodomain transcription factor Prop1 is essential for the expansion of the pituitary primordia and for the differentiation and/or function of the hormone-producing cells of the anterior pituitary gland...
- Lhx4 and Prop1 are required for cell survival and expansion of the pituitary primordiaLori T Raetzman
Department of Human Genetics and Graduate Program in Cell and Molecular Biology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0638, USA
Development 129:4229-39. 2002Deficiencies in the homeobox transcription factors LHX4 and PROP1 cause pituitary hormone deficiency in both humans and mice...
- Molecular basis of pituitary dysfunction in mouse and humanL J Cushman
Department of Human Genetics, 4301 MSRBIII, 1500 W. Medical Center Drive, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-0638, USA
Mamm Genome 12:485-94. 2001
- Pitx2 is required at multiple stages of pituitary organogenesis: pituitary primordium formation and cell specificationHoonkyo Suh
Neuroscience Program, Department of Human Genetics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0638, USA
Development 129:329-37. 2002..expansion of Rathke's pouch and maintaining expression of the fetal-specific transcription factors Hesx1 and Prop1. At later stages Pitx2 is necessary for specification and expansion of the gonadotropes and Pit1 lineage within ..
- Role of prophet of Pit1 (PROP1) in gonadotrope differentiation and pubertyAmanda H Vesper
Department of Human Genetics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 48109 0618, USA
Endocrinology 147:1654-63. 2006The prophet of Pit1 (PROP1) gene is essential for normal gonadotropin production in both humans and mice...
- Temporal regulation of a paired-like homeodomain repressor/TLE corepressor complex and a related activator is required for pituitary organogenesisJ S Dasen
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, School and Department of Medicine, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
Genes Dev 15:3193-207. 2001....
- Localization of the panhypopituitary dwarf mutation (df) on mouse chromosome 11 in an intersubspecific backcrossM S Buckwalter
Department of Human Genetics, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor 48109 0618
Genomics 10:515-26. 1991b>Ames dwarf (df) is an autosomal recessive mutation characterized by severe dwarfism and infertility. This mutation provides a mouse model for panhypopituitarism...
- TCF and Groucho-related genes influence pituitary growth and developmentMichelle L Brinkmeier
Department of Human Genetics, University of Michigan Medical School, 4301 MSRBIII, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0638, USA
Mol Endocrinol 17:2152-61. 2003Mutations in the prophet of PIT1 gene (PROP1) are the most common cause of multiple pituitary hormone deficiency in humans; however, the mechanism of PROP1 action is not well understood...
- The Ames dwarf gene, df, is required early in pituitary ontogeny for the extinction of Rpx transcription and initiation of lineage-specific cell proliferationP J Gage
Department of Human Genetics, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor 48109 0618, USA
Mol Endocrinol 10:1570-81. 1996..Later, Pit-1 and hypothalamic neuropeptides act sequentially to regulate marker gene transcription and cell proliferation. These results establish the time of df action in a cascade of genes that regulate pituitary ontogeny...
- Genetic interaction between the homeobox transcription factors HESX1 and SIX3 is required for normal pituitary developmentCarles Gaston-Massuet
Neural Development Unit, Institute of Child Health, University College London, London, UK
Dev Biol 324:322-33. 2008..Our research has revealed a role for Six3 in normal pituitary development, which has likely been conserved during evolution as SIX3 is also expressed in the pituitary gland of the human embryo...
- Genetic mouse models of extended lifespanHanyu Liang
Department of Physiology, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, MSC 7762, San Antonio, TX 78229 3900, USA
Exp Gerontol 38:1353-64. 2003..However, these mouse models are already providing new information about the mechanism underlying mammalian aging...
- Accelerated failure time models provide a useful statistical framework for aging researchWilliam R Swindell
Departments of Pathology and Geriatrics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2200, USA
Exp Gerontol 44:190-200. 2009..In addition, from the standpoint of aging research, these statistical approaches have appealing properties and provide valuable tools for the analysis of survivorship data...
- The dwarf mutation decreases high dose insulin responses in skeletal muscle, the opposite of effects in liverFernando P Dominici
Instituto de Química y Fisicoquímica Biológicas IQUIFIB, Facultad de Farmacia y Bioquimica, Junin 956, C1113AAD Buenos Aires, Argentina
Mech Ageing Dev 124:819-27. 2003..The insulin-stimulated phosphorylation of the insulin receptor (IR) was reduced by 55% in Ames dwarf mice, while IR receptor protein content was not altered...
- Analysis of mouse models carrying the I26T and R160C substitutions in the transcriptional repressor HESX1 as models for septo-optic dysplasia and hypopituitarismEzat Sajedi
Neural Development Unit, Institute of Child Health, University College London, London, UK
Dis Model Mech 1:241-54. 2008..Together, these results suggest that the I26T mutation yields a hypomorphic allele, whereas R160C produces a null allele and, consequently, a more severe phenotype in both mice and humans...
- Ames dwarf (Prop1(df)/Prop1(df)) mice display increased sensitivity of the major GH-signaling pathways in liver and skeletal muscleJohanna G Miquet
Instituto de Química y Fisicoquímica Biológicas UBA CONICET, Facultad de Farmacia y Bioquimica, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Junin 956, 1113 Caba, Argentina
Growth Horm IGF Res 20:118-26. 2010Growth hormone (GH) is an anabolic hormone that regulates growth and metabolism. Ames dwarf mice are natural mutants for Prop1, with impaired development of anterior pituitary and undetectable levels of circulating GH, prolactin and TSH...
- Increased insulin sensitivity and upregulation of insulin receptor, insulin receptor substrate (IRS)-1 and IRS-2 in liver of Ames dwarf miceF P Dominici
Instituto de Quimica y Fisicoquimica Biologicas, Facultad de Farmacia y Bioquimica, Junin 956, 1113, Buenos Aires, Argentina
J Endocrinol 173:81-94. 2002In the present study we have used hypopituitary Ames dwarf mice, which lack GH, prolactin and TSH, to investigate the consequences of the deficiency of these hormones on glucose homeostasis and on the initial components of the insulin ..
- The hippocampus of Ames dwarf mice exhibits enhanced antioxidative defenses following kainic acid-induced oxidative stressSunita Sharma
Department of Pharmacology, Physiology and Therapeutics, University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Grand Forks, ND 58203, USA
Exp Gerontol 45:936-49. 2010..We have evidence that long-living GH-deficient Ames dwarf mice have enhanced antioxidant protection in the periphery but the protection in the central nervous system is ..
- WNT5A signaling affects pituitary gland shapeKelly B Cha
Department of Human Genetics, University of Michigan Medical School, 1500 W Medical Center Drive, 4301 MSRB 3, Ann Arbor, MI 48019 0638, USA
Mech Dev 121:183-94. 2004..b>Prop1 and Hesx1 are also important for normal shape of the pituitary primordium, but their expression is unaltered in ..
- Effects of Soy-derived diets on plasma and liver lipids, glucose tolerance, and longevity in normal, long-lived and short-lived miceA Bartke
Department of Physiology, Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, Springfield 62794 9628, USA
Horm Metab Res 36:550-8. 2004..on a low isoflavone or a high isoflavone soy protein isolates in normal, growth-hormone receptor knockout and Ames dwarf, and Prop 1 (df) mice that are hypoinsulinemic, insulin-sensitive, and exceptionally long-lived, as well as in ..
- Pituitary transcription factor Prop-1 stimulates porcine pituitary glycoprotein hormone alpha subunit gene expressionTakanobu Sato
Laboratory of Molecular Biology and Gene Regulation, Department of Life Science, School of Agriculture, Meiji University, 1 1 1 Higashi Mita, Tama ku, Kawasaki, Kanagawa 214 8571, Japan
J Mol Endocrinol 37:341-52. 2006..Accordingly, the present observations provide a novel view to understand the hypogonadism caused by Prop-1 defects at the molecular level through the regulatory mechanism of alphaGSU and FSHbeta gene expressions...
- Gender-specific alterations in gene expression and loss of liver sexual dimorphism in the long-lived Ames dwarf miceDaniel Amador-Noguez
Molecular and Human Genetics Department, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 332:1086-100. 2005..gender-independent effects of lifespan-extending mutations of the GH/IGF-I axis is currently lacking. The Ames dwarf mice (prop1(df/df)) are GH, prolactin and thyroid-stimulating hormone deficient and exhibit an increase in mean ..
- Fibroblast cell lines from young adult mice of long-lived mutant strains are resistant to multiple forms of stressAdam B Salmon
Cellular and Molecular Biology Graduate Program, University of Michigan School of Medicine, 1500 E Medical Center Dr, 5316 CCGC 0940, Ann Arbor, MI 48105 0940, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 289:E23-9. 2005..We show here that similar resistance profiles are seen in fibroblast cells derived from a related mutant, the Ames dwarf mouse, and that cells from growth hormone receptor-null mice are resistant to H(2)O(2), paraquat, and UV but not ..
- Effects of long-term caloric restriction on glucose homeostasis and on the first steps of the insulin signaling system in skeletal muscle of normal and Ames dwarf (Prop1df/Prop1df) miceDanila Paula Argentino
Facultad de Farmacia y Bioquimica, Instituto de Química y Fisicoquímica Biológicas UBA CONICET, Junin 956, 1113AAD Buenos Aires, Argentina
Exp Gerontol 40:27-35. 2005b>Ames dwarf mice are a model of retarded aging and extended longevity and display enhanced insulin sensitivity. Caloric restriction (CR) and the dwarf mutation have additive effects on lifespan...
- Developmentally regulated expression of the regulator of G-protein signaling gene 2 (Rgs2) in the embryonic mouse pituitaryL D Wilson
Murdoch Childrens Research Institute, Royal Childrens Hospital, Melbourne, VIC 3052, Australia
Gene Expr Patterns 5:305-11. 2005..Pituitary cell differentiation and morphology appeared normal in the Rgs2 mutant animals, suggesting that other Rgs family members with similar activities may be present in the developing pituitary...
- Circulating blood leukocyte gene expression profiles: effects of the Ames dwarf mutation on pathways related to immunity and inflammationJoseph Dhahbi
BioMarker Pharmaceuticals Inc, 5941 Optical Court, San Jose, CA 95138, USA
Exp Gerontol 42:772-88. 2007..Hypopituitary Ames dwarf mice have extended longevity and exhibit many symptoms of delayed aging, although various aspects of immune ..
- Dietary thyroid hormone replacement ameliorates hearing deficits in hypothyroid miceI Jill Karolyi
Department of Human Genetics, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0618, USA
Mamm Genome 18:596-608. 2007..We conclude that TH supplement administered during the critical period of hearing development in mice can prevent deafness associated with congenital hypothyroidism of heterogeneous genetic etiology...
- Increased neurogenesis in dentate gyrus of long-lived Ames dwarf miceLiou Y Sun
Geriatrics Research, Department of Internal Medicine, Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, Room 4389, 801 North Rutledge, Springfield, Illinois 62794 9628, USA
Endocrinology 146:1138-44. 2005..Multiple trophic factors including IGF-I have been demonstrated to regulate hippocampal neurogenesis. Ames dwarf mice live considerably longer than normal animals and maintain physiological function at youthful levels, ..
- TCF4 deficiency expands ventral diencephalon signaling and increases induction of pituitary progenitorsMichelle L Brinkmeier
University of Michigan, Department of Human Genetics, 4909 Buhl Building, 1241 E Catherine, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0618, USA
Dev Biol 311:396-407. 2007..Thus, TCF4 is necessary both intrinsically and extrinsically to Rathke's pouch to ensure the proper growth of the pituitary gland...
- Neuroendocrine inhibition of glucose production and resistance to cancer in dwarf miceJ McKee Alderman
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Exp Gerontol 44:26-33. 2009Pit1 null (Snell dwarf) and Proph1 null (Ames dwarf) mutant mice lack GH, PRL and TSH. Snell and Ames dwarf mice also exhibit reduced IGF-I, resistance to cancer and a longer lifespan than control mice...
- Cell proliferation and vascularization in mouse models of pituitary hormone deficiencyRobert D Ward
Graduate Program in Cellular and Molecular Biology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 48109 0618, USA
Mol Endocrinol 20:1378-90. 2006Mutations in the transcription factors PIT1 (pituitary transcription factor 1) and PROP1 (prophet of Pit1) lead to pituitary hormone deficiency and hypopituitarism in mice and humans...
- Tbx19, a tissue-selective regulator of POMC gene expressionJ Liu
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, School and Department of Medicine, University of California at San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, Cellular and Molecular Medicine West, Room 345, La Jolla, CA 92093 0648, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:8674-9. 2001..It is suggested that Tbx19, depending on the presence of synergizing transcription factors, can activate POMC gene expression and repress the alpha glycoprotein subunit and thyroid-stimulating hormone beta promoters...
- Anterior pituitary development: short tales from dwarf miceJ W Voss
Eukaryotic Regulatory Biology Program, University of California, School of Medicine, La Jolla, San Diego 92093-0648
Cell 70:527-30. 1992
- Dwarf locus mutants lacking three pituitary cell types result from mutations in the POU-domain gene pit-1S Li
Department of Chemistry, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla 92093
Nature 347:528-33. 1990..The data indicate that Pit-1 is necessary for the specification of the phenotype of three cell types in the anterior pituitary, and directly link a transcription factor to commitment and progression events in mammalian organogenesis...
- Gonadotropin secretion, synthesis, and gene expression in human growth hormone transgenic mice and in Ames dwarf miceK Tang
Department of Physiology, School of Medicine, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale 62901
Endocrinology 132:2518-24. 1993..For comparison, similar studies were performed in GH and PRL deficient Ames dwarf mice in which plasma gonadotropin levels are known to be reduced...
- Postnatal reduction in number of hypothalamic tuberoinfundibular dopaminergic neurons in prolactin-deficient dwarf miceC J Phelps
Department of Anatomy, Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, LA 70112
Neuroendocrinology 59:189-96. 1994..In order to determine whether this deficit in adult Ames dwarf mice is congenital or arises postnatally, brains of dwarf (df/df) and normal (DF/?) littermate mice were ..
- Ames dwarf mice exhibit somatotrope commitment but lack growth hormone-releasing factor responseP J Gage
Department of Human Genetics, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor 48109 0618
Endocrinology 136:1161-7. 1995b>Ames dwarf mice have a recessive defect that results in affected mice (df/df) with extremely hypocellular anterior pituitaries that generally lack somatotropes, lactotropes, and thyrotropes...
- Growth hormone-releasing hormone peptide and mRNA are overexpressed in GH-deficient Ames dwarf miceC J Phelps
Department of Anatomy, Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, LA 70112
Endocrinology 133:3034-7. 1993..The results suggest that chronic GH deficiency is accompanied by increased translation as well as transcription of GHRH...
- Assessment of the primary adrenal cortical and pancreatic hormone basal levels in relation to plasma glucose and age in the unstressed Ames dwarf mouseK E Borg
Department of Physiology, School of Medicine, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale 62901 6512, USA
Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 210:126-33. 1995..One such model, the Ames dwarf mouse (df/df), has arisen from an autosomal recessive mutation in which GH-, prolactin- (PRL), and thyroid-..
- Somatomedin activity in sera of genetically small miceS P Nissley
Horm Metab Res 12:158-64. 1980..GH treatment of the Snell mouse resulted in an increase in somatomedin activity to normal levels...
- Deficiency of dopamine in the median eminence of Snell dwarf miceW W Morgan
Endocrinology 109:2069-75. 1981
- Growth hormone and prolactin synthesis in normal and homozygous Snell and Ames dwarf miceM B Slabaugh
Endocrinology 109:1040-6. 1981..It was concluded that in the homozygous condition, both types of dwarf alleles result in failure of the pituitary to initiate GH and PRL synthesis...
- Prolactin status of hereditary dwarf miceM S Barkley
Endocrinology 110:2088-96. 1982..The lack of PRL-containing cells in the dwarf mouse pituitary may explain why peripheral PRL levels in this animal are below those measured in hypophysectomized mice...
- Analysis of growth hormone genes in mice with genetic defects of growth hormone expressionJ A Phillips
J Endocrinol 92:405-7. 1982Restriction endonuclease analysis of genomic DNA was carried out for three types of dwarf mice (Little, Ames dwarf and Snell dwarf) that have genetic defects in GH expression...
- Heritable formation of pancreatic beta-cell tumours in transgenic mice expressing recombinant insulin/simian virus 40 oncogenesD Hanahan
Nature 315:115-22. 1985..The alpha- and delta-cells normally found in the islets of Langerhans are rare and disordered. Well-vascularized beta-cell tumours arise in mice harbouring and inheriting these hybrid oncogenes...
- The Ames dwarf gene is required for Pit-1 gene activationB Andersen
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, School and Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla 92093 0648, USA
Dev Biol 172:495-503. 1995..The Ames dwarf (df) exhibits a phenotype identical to that of Pit-1 mutated mice but the defective gene has been mapped to a ..
- Identification of growth hormone-releasing hormone and somatostatin neurons projecting to the median eminence in normal and growth hormone-deficient Ames dwarf miceM I Romero
Neuroscience Training Program, Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Neuroendocrinology 65:107-16. 1997In the spontaneous mutant Ames dwarf mouse, GH deficiency coincides with a dramatic increase in the expression of both mRNA and peptide for stimulatory GHRH and reduced expression of GH-inhibitory somatostatin (SRIH) mRNA and peptide...
- Array-based expression analysis of mouse liver genes: effect of age and of the longevity mutant Prop1dfI Dozmorov
Department of Pathology, Institute of Gerontology, and Geriatrics Center, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 48109 0940, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 56:B72-80. 2001b>Ames dwarf mice, homozygous for the df allele at the Prop1 locus, live 40% to 70% longer than nonmutant siblings and represent the first single-gene mutant that extends life span in a mammal...
- Evidence that Ames dwarf mice age differently from their normal siblings in behavioral and learning and memory parametersB A Kinney
Department of Physiology, Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, Carbondale, Illinois, 62901 6512, USA
Horm Behav 39:277-84. 2001..However, little is known about the Ames dwarf mouse, which has a Prop-1 gene mutation resulting in deficiencies in growth hormone, thyroid-stimulating hormone,..
- Mouse growth hormone transcription factor Zn-16: unique bipartite structure containing tandemly repeated zinc finger domains not reported in rat Zn-15T C VanderHeyden
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Tulane University, New Orleans, LA 70118 5698, USA
Mol Cell Endocrinol 159:89-98. 2000..of mZn-16 expression by RT-PCR showed that the mRNA is, produced at similar levels in normal and GH-deficient Ames dwarf (Prop-1 <df-/->) mouse pituitaries at postnatal day 1...
- Pax6 is essential for establishing ventral-dorsal cell boundaries in pituitary gland developmentC Kioussi
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of California San Diego, School, Department of Medicine, 9500 Gilman Drive, Cellular and Molecular Medicine Room 345, La Jolla, CA 92093 0648, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96:14378-82. 1999..We suggest that the transient dorsal expression of Pax6 is essential for establishing a sharp boundary between dorsal and ventral cell types, based on the inhibition of Shh ventral signals...
- Catalase expression in delayed and premature aging mouse modelsH M Brown-Borg
Department of Pharmacology, Physiology and Therapeutics, University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Grand Forks, ND 58203 2817, USA
Exp Gerontol 35:199-212. 2000..Two genetic mouse models of aging, the Ames dwarf and growth hormone (GH) transgenic, suggest that hormone levels may play a role in antioxidative defense and ..
- Effect of protracted estrogen administration on the thyroid of Ames dwarf miceS Vidal
Department of Anatomy, Laboratory of Histology, University of Santiago de Compostela, Lugo, Spain
Cell Tissue Res 304:51-8. 2001..and cellular composition of the thyroid was examined in genetically thyrotropin (TSH)-deficient female Ames dwarf mice (df/df) to reveal whether estrogen might act independently from TSH...
- Low body temperature in long-lived Ames dwarf mice at rest and during stressW S Hunter
Department of Physiology, Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, Carbondale 62901, USA
Physiol Behav 67:433-7. 1999..Because Ames dwarf mice (dwarfs) live approximately 1 year longer than their larger normal sex- and age-matched siblings (normals), ..
- A new step understood in the cascade of tissue-specific regulators orchestrating pituitary lineage determination: the Prophet of Pit-1 (Prop-1)A Dutour
Laboratoire de Neuroendocrinologie, INSERM U 297, Marseille, France
Eur J Endocrinol 137:616-7. 1997
- Early effects of streptozotocin-induced diabetes on insulin-like growth factor-I in the kidneys of growth hormone-transgenic and growth hormone-deficient dwarf miceM L Jacobs
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Dijkzigt, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Exp Nephrol 5:337-44. 1997..The aim of this study was to investigate the early changes in kidney IGF-I in experimental diabetes in mice transgenic for bovine GH and in genetically GH-deficient Ames dwarf mice.
- Distinct developmental roles of cell cycle inhibitors p57Kip2 and p27Kip1 distinguish pituitary progenitor cell cycle exit from cell cycle reentry of differentiated cellsSteve Bilodeau
Laboratoire de Genetique Moleculaire, Institut de Recherches Cliniques de Montreal, 110 avenue des Pins Ouest, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Mol Cell Biol 29:1895-908. 2009....
- Etiology of growth hormone deficiency in little, Ames, and Snell dwarf miceT C Cheng
Endocrinology 113:1669-78. 1983..glands of little mice showed a deficiency or absence of secretory granules within somatotropes, while Snell and Ames dwarf pituitaries lacked identifiable somatotropes...
- Endothelial function and vascular oxidative stress in long-lived GH/IGF-deficient Ames dwarf miceAnna Csiszar
Department of Physiology, New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY 10595, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 295:H1882-94. 2008Hypopituitary Ames dwarf mice have low circulating growth hormone (GH)/IGF-I levels, and they have extended longevity and exhibit many symptoms of delayed aging...
- Long-living Ames dwarf mouse hepatocytes readily undergo apoptosisMelissa A Kennedy
Department of Pharmacology, Physiology, and Therapeutics, University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences, 501 N Columbia Road, Grand Forks, ND 58203, USA
Exp Gerontol 38:997-1008. 2003b>Ames dwarf mice live 50-64% longer and exhibit upregulated antioxidative defenses and lower cellular damage when compared to age-matched wild-type littermates...
- Reduced hypothalamic neuropeptide Y expression in growth hormone- and prolactin-deficient Ames and Snell dwarf miceDavid L Hurley
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology and Neuroscience Program, Tulane University, New Orleans, Louisiana 70118, USA
Endocrinology 144:4783-9. 2003..NPY neuronal number in adult Ames dwarf mice (1048 +/- 104) was significantly (P < 0...
- FOXL2 in the pituitary: molecular, genetic, and developmental analysisBuffy S Ellsworth
The University of Michigan Medical School, 4909 Buhl Building, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0618, USA
Mol Endocrinol 20:2796-805. 2006..Normal FOXL2 expression requires the transcription factors Lhx3 and Lhx4 but not of Prop1. Thus, FOXL2 expression is affected by mutations in early pituitary developmental regulatory genes, and its ..
- Could a deficiency in growth hormone signaling be beneficial to the aging brain?B A Kinney-Forshee
Department of Physiology, Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, Carbondale, IL 62901 6512
Physiol Behav 80:589-94. 2004..Studies in our laboratory have suggested that both Ames dwarf and GH receptor/GH binding protein knockout (GH-R-KO) mice do not experience age-induced cognitive aging at the ..
- Pitx2 regulates lung asymmetry, cardiac positioning and pituitary and tooth morphogenesisC R Lin
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department and School of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla 92093, USA
Nature 401:279-82. 1999..Thus, Pitx2 is a transcription factor that encodes 'leftness' of the lung...
- Developmental assessment of hypothalamic tuberoinfundibular dopamine in prolactin-deficient dwarf miceC J Phelps
Department of Anatomy, Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112
Endocrinology 132:2715-22. 1993Development of the hypophysiotropic hypothalamus in PRL-deficient Ames dwarf (df/df) mice was examined for steady state dopamine (DA) by visualization using formaldehyde-induced catecholamine histofluorescence and by quantification using ..
- Role of growth hormone in thiol metabolism, stress resistance and agingHolly M Brown Borg; Fiscal Year: 2010..of growth hormone on processes related to stress resistance and longevity using two long-living mouse strains, Ames dwarf and growth hormone receptor knockout mice...
- Role of GH deficiency on mitochondrial bioenergeticsHolly Brown Borg; Fiscal Year: 2005..Mice with hereditary dwarfism (Ames dwarf) exhibit growth hormone deficiency, delayed aging, enhanced antioxidant defenses and lower oxidative DNA and ..
- Role of growth hormone in thiol metabolism, stress resistance and agingHolly Brown Borg; Fiscal Year: 2009..of growth hormone on processes related to stress resistance and longevity using two long-living mouse strains, Ames dwarf and growth hormone receptor knockout mice...
- Dietary fat, visceral fat depots and agingMICHAL MATEUSZ MASTERNAK; Fiscal Year: 2010..One could infer that a lean body promotes healthy insulin action and a longer life. However, Ames dwarf and GHRKO mice are both hyper-sensitive to injected insulin and long-lived despite an increased or normal volume ..
- 7th Intl Symposium-Neurobiology/Neuroendocrinology/AgingAndrzej Bartke; Fiscal Year: 2004..We are also seeking support for the presenters of the Special Lecture and the Keynote Lecture who will be traveling to Bregenz from the United States. ..
- Aging:Mechanisms & Prevention:34th Annual Meeting of AGEAndrzej Bartke; Fiscal Year: 2005..Financial assistance will be provided to those in training to encourage their participation in the meeting. ..
- Interaction of Caloric Restriction with Longevity GenesAndrzej Bartke; Fiscal Year: 2005..We have recently demonstrated that in one of these models, the Ames dwarf (Prop1df) mouse, CR may extend life beyond the limits achievable with CR or dwarfism alone...
- Eighth & Ninth International Symposia on Neurobiology & Neuroendocrinology AgingAndrzej Bartke; Fiscal Year: 2007..We are also seeking partial support for the expenses of invited speakers from the United States. ..
- Interaction of Caloric Restriction with Longevity GenesAndrzej Bartke; Fiscal Year: 2007..We have shown that caloric restriction (CR) increases longevity in the Ames dwarf mouse, a long-lived hypopituitary mutant, but surprisingly fails to extend longevity in another long-lived ..
- Interaction of Caloric Restriction with Longevity GenesAndrzej Bartke; Fiscal Year: 2009..We have shown that caloric restriction (CR) increases longevity in the Ames dwarf mouse, a long-lived hypopituitary mutant, but surprisingly fails to extend longevity in another long-lived ..
- Interaction of Caloric Restriction with Longevity GenesAndrzej Bartke; Fiscal Year: 2010..We have shown that caloric restriction (CR) increases longevity in the Ames dwarf mouse, a long-lived hypopituitary mutant, but surprisingly fails to extend longevity in another long-lived ..
- PINEAL OPIOID RECEPTORS & ANALGESIC ACTION OF MELATONINManuchair Ebadi; Fiscal Year: 2002..Therefore, future research must synthesize highly efficacious melatonin analogues capable of providing maximum analgesia and hopefully being devoid of addiction liability now associated with currently available narcotics. ..
- UBIQUINONE AND MITOCHONDRIAL OXIDATIVE DISORDERS OF AGINManuchair Ebadi; Fiscal Year: 2003..The completion of these studies will undoubtedly provide additional items of information on reactive oxygen species-induced damage of mitochondrial DNA and the protective effects of coenzyme Q10(ubiquinol) to minimize it. ..