Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Prkab1
Description: protein kinase, AMP-activated, beta 1 non-catalytic subunit
Alias: 1300015D22Rik, AU021155, E430008F22, 5'-AMP-activated protein kinase subunit beta-1, AMPK subunit beta-1, AMPKb
- DiTommaso T, Jones L, Cottle D, Gerdin A, Vancollie V, Watt F, et al. Identification of genes important for cutaneous function revealed by a large scale reverse genetic screen in the mouse. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004705 pubmed publisher..were not previously associated with skin disease in the organ (Mysm1, Vangl1, Trpc4ap, Nom1, Sparc, Farp2, and Prkab1), while others were ascribed new cutaneous functions on the basis of the screening approach (Krt76, Lrig1, Myo5a, ..
- Quinn J, Tam S, Sims N, Saleh H, McGregor N, Poulton I, et al. Germline deletion of AMP-activated protein kinase beta subunits reduces bone mass without altering osteoclast differentiation or function. FASEB J. 2010;24:275-85 pubmed publisher..These results show that AMPK is required to maintain normal bone density, but not through bone cell differentiation, and does not mediate powerful osteolytic effects of AICA-riboside. ..
- Kim J, Park J, Yea K, Kim H, Suh P, Ryu S. Phospholipase D1 mediates AMP-activated protein kinase signaling for glucose uptake. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e9600 pubmed publisher..We propose that the AMPK-mediated PLD1 pathway may provide crucial clues to understanding the mechanisms involved in glucose uptake. ..
- Mount P, Gleich K, Tam S, Fraser S, Choy S, Dwyer K, et al. The outcome of renal ischemia-reperfusion injury is unchanged in AMPK-?1 deficient mice. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e29887 pubmed publisher..This difference might be due to a lack of effect of MIF on AMPK activation and lower CD74 expression in the kidney. ..
- Kato K, Tokuda H, Adachi S, Matsushima Nishiwaki R, Natsume H, Yamakawa K, et al. AMP-activated protein kinase positively regulates FGF-2-stimulated VEGF synthesis in osteoblasts. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;400:123-7 pubmed publisher..These results strongly suggest that AMPK positively regulates the FGF-2-stimulated VEGF synthesis via p44/p42 MAP kinase and SAPK/JNK in osteoblasts. ..
- Bayliss J, Lemus M, Stark R, Santos V, Thompson A, Rees D, et al. Ghrelin-AMPK Signaling Mediates the Neuroprotective Effects of Calorie Restriction in Parkinson's Disease. J Neurosci. 2016;36:3049-63 pubmed publisher..Hence, ghrelin signaling through AMPK in SN dopamine neurons mediates CR's neuroprotective effects. We consider targeting AMPK in dopamine neurons may recapitulate neuroprotective effects of CR without requiring dietary intervention. ..
- Wan Z, Root McCaig J, Castellani L, Kemp B, Steinberg G, Wright D. Evidence for the role of AMPK in regulating PGC-1 alpha expression and mitochondrial proteins in mouse epididymal adipose tissue. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2014;22:730-8 pubmed publisher..Norepinephrine- and CL 316,243-mediated induction of PGC-1? and mitochondrial protein expression is regulated by AMPK in epididymal, but not inguinal adipose tissue. ..
- Löffler A, Alers S, Dieterle A, Keppeler H, Franz Wachtel M, Kundu M, et al. Ulk1-mediated phosphorylation of AMPK constitutes a negative regulatory feedback loop. Autophagy. 2011;7:696-706 pubmed..Thus, we propose that Ulk1 is not only involved in the induction of autophagy, but also in terminating signaling events that trigger autophagy. In our model, phosphorylation of AMPK by Ulk1 represents a negative feedback circuit. ..
- Chen Z, Heierhorst J, Mann R, Mitchelhill K, Michell B, Witters L, et al. Expression of the AMP-activated protein kinase beta1 and beta2 subunits in skeletal muscle. FEBS Lett. 1999;460:343-8 pubmed..Sequence analysis revealed that glycogen synthase, a known AMPK substrate, co-immunoprecipitated with the AMPK alpha2beta2gamma1 complex. ..
- O Neill H, Maarbjerg S, Crane J, Jeppesen J, Jørgensen S, Schertzer J, et al. AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) beta1beta2 muscle null mice reveal an essential role for AMPK in maintaining mitochondrial content and glucose uptake during exercise. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:16092-7 pubmed publisher
- Eid A, Ford B, Block K, Kasinath B, Gorin Y, Ghosh Choudhury G, et al. AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) negatively regulates Nox4-dependent activation of p53 and epithelial cell apoptosis in diabetes. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:37503-12 pubmed publisher..The data indicate the potential therapeutic utility of AMPK activators to block Nox4 and reactive oxygen species generation and to reduce urinary albumin excretion in type 1 diabetes. ..
- Yang Z, Kahn B, Shi H, Xue B. Macrophage alpha1 AMP-activated protein kinase (alpha1AMPK) antagonizes fatty acid-induced inflammation through SIRT1. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:19051-9 pubmed publisher..Our study defines a novel role for AMPK in bridging the signaling between nutrient metabolism and inflammation. ..
- Gauthier M, Miyoshi H, Souza S, Cacicedo J, Saha A, Greenberg A, et al. AMP-activated protein kinase is activated as a consequence of lipolysis in the adipocyte: potential mechanism and physiological relevance. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:16514-24 pubmed publisher..Finally, this AMPK activation appears to restrain the energy depletion and oxidative stress caused by lipolysis. ..
- Galic S, Fullerton M, Schertzer J, Sikkema S, Marcinko K, Walkley C, et al. Hematopoietic AMPK ?1 reduces mouse adipose tissue macrophage inflammation and insulin resistance in obesity. J Clin Invest. 2011;121:4903-15 pubmed publisher..Thus, activation of AMPK ?1 and increasing fatty acid oxidation in macrophages may represent a new therapeutic approach for the treatment of insulin resistance...
- Bujak A, Crane J, Lally J, Ford R, Kang S, Rebalka I, et al. AMPK activation of muscle autophagy prevents fasting-induced hypoglycemia and myopathy during aging. Cell Metab. 2015;21:883-90 pubmed publisher..These findings establish an essential requirement for skeletal muscle AMPK-mediated autophagy in preserving blood glucose levels during prolonged fasting as well as maintaining muscle integrity and mitochondrial function during aging. ..
- Schneider H, Schubert K, Blodow S, Kreutz C, Erdogmus S, Wiedenmann M, et al. AMPK Dilates Resistance Arteries via Activation of SERCA and BKCa Channels in Smooth Muscle. Hypertension. 2015;66:108-16 pubmed publisher..There is in part a mutual compensation of both calcium-lowering mechanisms. However, SERCA activation which involves an AMPK-dependent phosphorylation of phospholamban is the predominant mechanism in resistance vessels. ..
- O Brien A, Villani L, Broadfield L, Houde V, Galic S, Blandino G, et al. Salicylate activates AMPK and synergizes with metformin to reduce the survival of prostate and lung cancer cells ex vivo through inhibition of de novo lipogenesis. Biochem J. 2015;469:177-87 pubmed publisher..Pre-clinical studies evaluating the use of salicylate based drugs alone and in combination with metformin to inhibit de novo lipogenesis and the survival of prostate and lung cancers are warranted. ..
- Um J, Yang S, Yamazaki S, Kang H, Viollet B, Foretz M, et al. Activation of 5'-AMP-activated kinase with diabetes drug metformin induces casein kinase Iepsilon (CKIepsilon)-dependent degradation of clock protein mPer2. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:20794-8 pubmed..We conclude that metformin and AMPK have a previously unrecognized role in regulating the circadian rhythm. ..
- Mottillo E, Desjardins E, Crane J, Smith B, Green A, Ducommun S, et al. Lack of Adipocyte AMPK Exacerbates Insulin Resistance and Hepatic Steatosis through Brown and Beige Adipose Tissue Function. Cell Metab. 2016;24:118-29 pubmed publisher..Thus, AMPK in adipocytes is vital for maintaining mitochondrial integrity, responding to pharmacological agents and thermal stress, and protecting against nutrient-overload-induced NAFLD and insulin resistance. ..
- Qi J, Gong J, Zhao T, Zhao J, Lam P, Ye J, et al. Downregulation of AMP-activated protein kinase by Cidea-mediated ubiquitination and degradation in brown adipose tissue. EMBO J. 2008;27:1537-48 pubmed publisher..Our data strongly suggest that AMPK can be regulated by Cidea-mediated ubiquitin-dependent proteosome degradation, and provide a molecular explanation for the increased energy expenditure and lean phenotype in Cidea-null mice. ..
- Thomas M, Wang D, D Souza D, Krause M, Layne A, Criswell D, et al. Muscle-specific AMPK ?1?2-null mice display a myopathy due to loss of capillary density in nonpostural muscles. FASEB J. 2014;28:2098-107 pubmed publisher..05) within minutes of administration in WT muscles and C2C12 myotubes but not in ?1?2M-KO muscles. These findings highlight the importance of the AMPK-nNOS? pathway in resting skeletal muscle. ..
- Fraser S, Choy S, PASTOR SOLER N, Li H, Davies M, Cook N, et al. AMPK couples plasma renin to cellular metabolism by phosphorylation of ACC1. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2013;305:F679-90 pubmed publisher..In summary, our data suggest that renin synthesis and secretion are regulated by AMPK and coupled to metabolism by phosphorylation of ACC1. ..
- Sakoda H, Fujishiro M, Fujio J, Shojima N, Ogihara T, Kushiyama A, et al. Glycogen debranching enzyme association with beta-subunit regulates AMP-activated protein kinase activity. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2005;289:E474-81 pubmed..Thus it is likely that the AMPK-GDE association is a novel mechanism regulating AMPK activity and the resultant fatty acid oxidation and glucose uptake. ..
- Fullerton M, Galic S, Marcinko K, Sikkema S, Pulinilkunnil T, Chen Z, et al. Single phosphorylation sites in Acc1 and Acc2 regulate lipid homeostasis and the insulin-sensitizing effects of metformin. Nat Med. 2013;19:1649-54 pubmed publisher..These findings establish that inhibitory phosphorylation of Acc by Ampk is essential for the control of lipid metabolism and, in the setting of obesity, for metformin-induced improvements in insulin action. ..
- Yang S, Wenna N, Yu J, Yang G, Qiu H, Yu L, et al. Glucose recruits K(ATP) channels via non-insulin-containing dense-core granules. Cell Metab. 2007;6:217-28 pubmed..Our data suggest that glucose can recruit K(ATP) channels to the beta cell plasma membrane via non-insulin-containing dense-core granules in a Ca(2+)- and PKA-dependent manner. ..
- Johanns M, Lai Y, Hsu M, Jacobs R, Vertommen D, Van Sande J, et al. AMPK antagonizes hepatic glucagon-stimulated cyclic AMP signalling via phosphorylation-induced activation of cyclic nucleotide phosphodiesterase 4B. Nat Commun. 2016;7:10856 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we provide a new mechanism by which AMPK antagonizes hepatic glucagon signalling via phosphorylation-induced PDE4B activation. ..
- Smith B, Ford R, Desjardins E, Green A, Hughes M, Houde V, et al. Salsalate (Salicylate) Uncouples Mitochondria, Improves Glucose Homeostasis, and Reduces Liver Lipids Independent of AMPK-?1. Diabetes. 2016;65:3352-3361 pubmed..These data indicate that the primary mechanism by which salsalate improves glucose homeostasis and NAFLD is via salicylate-driven mitochondrial uncoupling. ..
- Turnley A, Stapleton D, Mann R, Witters L, Kemp B, Bartlett P. Cellular distribution and developmental expression of AMP-activated protein kinase isoforms in mouse central nervous system. J Neurochem. 1999;72:1707-16 pubmed
- Fullerton M, Ford R, McGregor C, LeBlond N, Snider S, Stypa S, et al. Salicylate improves macrophage cholesterol homeostasis via activation of Ampk. J Lipid Res. 2015;56:1025-33 pubmed publisher..Our data highlight the therapeutic potential of targeting macrophage Ampk with new or existing drugs for the possible reduction in foam cell formation during the early stages of atherosclerosis. ..
- Dowling R, Zakikhani M, Fantus I, Pollak M, Sonenberg N. Metformin inhibits mammalian target of rapamycin-dependent translation initiation in breast cancer cells. Cancer Res. 2007;67:10804-12 pubmed..These results show that metformin-mediated AMPK activation leads to inhibition of mTOR and a reduction in translation initiation, thus providing a possible mechanism of action of metformin in the inhibition of cancer cell growth. ..
- Beirowski B, Babetto E, Golden J, Chen Y, Yang K, Gross R, et al. Metabolic regulator LKB1 is crucial for Schwann cell-mediated axon maintenance. Nat Neurosci. 2014;17:1351-61 pubmed publisher..The latter acts in a compensatory manner to support distressed axons. LKB1 signaling is essential for SC-mediated axon support, a function that may be dysregulated in diabetic neuropathy. ..
- Ducommun S, Ford R, Bultot L, Deak M, Bertrand L, Kemp B, et al. Enhanced activation of cellular AMPK by dual-small molecule treatment: AICAR and A769662. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2014;306:E688-96 pubmed publisher..The study demonstrates the feasibility of promoting AMPK activity by using two activators with distinct modes of action in order to achieve a greater activation of AMPK and downstream signaling. ..
- Dasgupta B, Milbrandt J. AMP-activated protein kinase phosphorylates retinoblastoma protein to control mammalian brain development. Dev Cell. 2009;16:256-70 pubmed publisher..The AMPK-Rb axis is utilized by both growth factors and energy restriction to increase NPC growth. Our results reveal that AMPK integrates growth factor signaling with cell cycle control to regulate brain development. ..
- Gan Z, Burkart Hartman E, Han D, Finck B, Leone T, Smith E, et al. The nuclear receptor PPAR?/? programs muscle glucose metabolism in cooperation with AMPK and MEF2. Genes Dev. 2011;25:2619-30 pubmed publisher..These results identify a transcriptional regulatory mechanism that increases capacity for muscle glucose utilization in a pattern that resembles the effects of exercise training. ..