Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Prkaa2
Description: protein kinase, AMP-activated, alpha 2 catalytic subunit
Alias: 2310008I11Rik, A830082D05, AMPKalpha2, 5'-AMP-activated protein kinase catalytic subunit alpha-2, ACACA kinase, AMP-activated protein kinase alpha-2 variant B, AMPK subunit alpha-2, HMGCR kinase, acetyl-CoA carboxylase kinase, hydroxymethylglutaryl-CoA reductase kinase
- Induced adiposity and adipocyte hypertrophy in mice lacking the AMP-activated protein kinase-alpha2 subunitJosep A Villena
Department of Nutritional Sciences and Toxicology, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720
Diabetes 53:2242-9. 2004..In the present study, we subjected AMPKalpha2 knockout (KO) mice to a high-fat diet to examine the effect of AMPK on adipose tissue formation...
- AMP-activated protein kinase induces a p53-dependent metabolic checkpointRussell G Jones
Abramson Family Cancer Research Institute, Department of Cancer Biology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Mol Cell 18:283-93. 2005..However, persistent activation of AMPK leads to accelerated p53-dependent cellular senescence. Thus, AMPK is a cell-intrinsic regulator of the cell cycle that coordinates cellular proliferation with carbon source availability...
- 5'-AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) is induced by low-oxygen and glucose deprivation conditions found in solid-tumor microenvironmentsKeith R Laderoute
SRI International, Bldg L, Rm A258, 333 Ravenswood Ave, Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA
Mol Cell Biol 26:5336-47. 2006..We also showed that AMPK is important for the growth of this tumor model...
- Leptin stimulates fatty acid oxidation and peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha gene expression in mouse C2C12 myoblasts by changing the subcellular localization of the alpha2 form of AMP-activated protein kinaseAtsushi Suzuki
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Developmental Physiology, National Institute for Physiological Sciences, 38 Nishigonaka, Myodaiji, Okazaki, Aichi, Japan
Mol Cell Biol 27:4317-27. 2007..Our data thus suggest that the activation of and changes in the subcellular localization of alpha2AMPK are required for leptin-induced stimulation of fatty acid oxidation and PPARalpha gene expression in muscle cells...
- AMP-activated protein kinase phosphorylation in brain is dependent on method of killing and tissue preparationMatthew T Scharf
Center for Sleep and Respiratory Neurobiology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 3403, USA
J Neurochem 105:833-41. 2008..These results demonstrate that alpha-AMPK phosphorylation is dependent on method of killing and tissue preparation and that alpha-AMPK phosphorylation can increase in a manner that does not reflect biological alterations...
- Short-term overexpression of a constitutively active form of AMP-activated protein kinase in the liver leads to mild hypoglycemia and fatty liverMarc Foretz
Institut Cochin, Département de génétique, Developpement et Pathologie Moleculaire, Universite Rene Descartes Paris 5, Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale U567, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique UMR8104, Paris, France
Diabetes 54:1331-9. 2005..specifically in the liver by adenovirus-mediated transfer of a gene encoding a constitutively active form of AMPKalpha2 (AMPKalpha2-CA)...
- AMPKalpha2 deletion causes aberrant expression and activation of NAD(P)H oxidase and consequent endothelial dysfunction in vivo: role of 26S proteasomesShuangxi Wang
Section of Endocrinology and Diabetes, Department of Medicine, University of Oklahoma Health Science Center, Oklahoma City, OK 73104, USA
Circ Res 106:1117-28. 2010..Recent studies suggest that AMPK activation improves endothelial function by counteracting oxidative stress in endothelial cells. How AMPK suppresses oxidative stress remains to be established...
- AMPK regulates the circadian clock by cryptochrome phosphorylation and degradationKatja A Lamia
Gene Expression Laboratory, The Salk Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Science 326:437-40. 2009..Thus, phosphorylation by AMPK enables cryptochrome to transduce nutrient signals to circadian clocks in mammalian peripheral organs...
- Upregulation of mitochondrial uncoupling protein-2 by the AMP-activated protein kinase in endothelial cells attenuates oxidative stress in diabetesZhonglin Xie
Division of Endocrinology and Diabetes, Department of Medicine, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, OK, USA
Diabetes 57:3222-30. 2008..The present study was conducted to determine how AMPK activation suppressed tyrosine nitration of prostacyclin synthase in diabetes...
- Activation of AMP-activated protein kinase alpha1 alleviates endothelial cell apoptosis by increasing the expression of anti-apoptotic proteins Bcl-2 and survivinChao Liu
Section of Endocrinology and Diabetes, Department of Medicine, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73104, USA
J Biol Chem 285:15346-55. 2010..Finally, we found that genetic deletion of the AMPKalpha1, but not AMPKalpha2, suppressed OGD-enhanced NF-kappaB activation, the expression of Bcl-2 and Survivin, and endothelial apoptosis...
- AMP-activated protein kinase-independent inhibition of hepatic mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation by AICA ribosideBruno Guigas
Université catholique de Louvain and Institute of Cellular Pathology, Hormone and Metabolic Research Unit, Brussels, Belgium
Biochem J 404:499-507. 2007..Our data also demonstrate that the cellular effects of AICA riboside are not necessarily caused by AMPK activation and that their interpretation should be taken with caution...
- AMPK is essential for energy homeostasis regulation and glucose sensing by POMC and AgRP neuronsMarc Claret
Centre for Diabetes and Endocrinology, Rayne Institute, University College London, London, United Kingdom
J Clin Invest 117:2325-36. 2007....
- Akt activity negatively regulates phosphorylation of AMP-activated protein kinase in the heartSuzanne Kovacic
Molecular Cardiology, Whitaker Cardiovascular Institute, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02118 2256, USA
J Biol Chem 278:39422-7. 2003..In addition, our data suggest that the ability of insulin to inhibit AMPK may be controlled via an Akt-mediated mechanism...
- AMPK-mediated AS160 phosphorylation in skeletal muscle is dependent on AMPK catalytic and regulatory subunitsJonas T Treebak
Department of Molecular Medicine and Surgery, Section for Integrative Physiology, Karolinska Institute, von Eulers vag 4, 4th Floor, S 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
Diabetes 55:2051-8. 2006..Contraction-mediated AS160 phosphorylation was also impaired in alpha2 AMPK KO and KD but not gamma3 AMPK KO mice. Our results implicate AS160 as a downstream target of AMPK...
- Diet-induced obesity alters AMP kinase activity in hypothalamus and skeletal muscleTonya L Martin
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
J Biol Chem 281:18933-41. 2006..Defective responses of AMPK to leptin may contribute to resistance to leptin action on food intake and energy expenditure in obese states...
- AMPK phosphorylation of raptor mediates a metabolic checkpointDana M Gwinn
Molecular and Cell Biology Laboratory, Dulbecco Center for Cancer Research, Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Mol Cell 30:214-26. 2008..These findings uncover a conserved effector of AMPK that mediates its role as a metabolic checkpoint coordinating cell growth with energy status...
- Liver adenosine monophosphate-activated kinase-alpha2 catalytic subunit is a key target for the control of hepatic glucose production by adiponectin and leptin but not insulinFabrizio Andreelli
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale Unité 567, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique Unite Mixte de Recherche 8104, Universite Rene Descartes Paris 5, France
Endocrinology 147:2432-41. 2006..Here we studied how hepatic AMPKalpha2 isoform affects hepatic glucose production and peripheral glucose uptake in vivo...
- Activation of the AMP-activated kinase by antidiabetes drug metformin stimulates nitric oxide synthesis in vivo by promoting the association of heat shock protein 90 and endothelial nitric oxide synthaseBradley J Davis
Vascular Research Laboratory, Department of Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, USA
Diabetes 55:496-505. 2006..Taken together, our results indicate that metformin might improve vascular endothelial functions in diabetes by increasing AMPK-dependent, hsp90-mediated eNOS activation...
- AMP-activated protein kinase alpha2 activity is not essential for contraction- and hyperosmolarity-induced glucose transport in skeletal muscleNobuharu Fujii
Research Division, Joslin Diabetes Center, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
J Biol Chem 280:39033-41. 2005..Muscle contraction- and hyperosmolarity-induced glucose transport may be regulated by a redundant mechanism in which AMPK alpha2 is one of multiple signaling pathways...
- Identification of nitric oxide as an endogenous activator of the AMP-activated protein kinase in vascular endothelial cellsJunhua Zhang
Division of Endocrinology and Diabetes, Department of Medicine, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73104, USA
J Biol Chem 283:27452-61. 2008..Taken together, we conclude that NO might act as an endogenous AMPK activator...
- The AMP-activated protein kinase alpha2 catalytic subunit controls whole-body insulin sensitivityBenoit Viollet
Department of Genetic, Development, and Molecular Pathology, Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale INSERM, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique CNRS, Rene Descartes University, Paris, France
J Clin Invest 111:91-8. 2003..To better understand the physiological role of AMPK, we generated a knockout mouse model in which the AMPKalpha2 catalytic subunit gene was inactivated...
- The L-4F mimetic peptide prevents insulin resistance through increased levels of HO-1, pAMPK, and pAKT in obese miceStephen J Peterson
Department of Pharmacology, New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY 10595, USA
J Lipid Res 50:1293-304. 2009..The anti-obesity effects of L-4F are manifested by a decrease in visceral fat content with reciprocal increases in adiponectin, pAMPK, pAKT, and phosphorylation of insulin receptors with improved insulin sensitivity...
- Compound C inhibits hypoxic activation of HIF-1 independent of AMPKBrooke M Emerling
Division of Signal Transduction, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA 02115, USA
FEBS Lett 581:5727-31. 2007..Furthermore, we demonstrate that Compound C functions as a repressor of HIF-1 by inhibiting respiration and suppressing mitochondrial generated ROS...
- 5-Aminoimidazole-4-carboxamide-1-beta-D-ribofuranoside and metformin inhibit hepatic glucose phosphorylation by an AMP-activated protein kinase-independent effect on glucokinase translocationBruno Guigas
Hormone and Metabolic Research Unit, Institute of Cellular Pathology, UCL 7529, Avenue Hippocrate 75, 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Diabetes 55:865-74. 2006....
- Knockout of the alpha2 but not alpha1 5'-AMP-activated protein kinase isoform abolishes 5-aminoimidazole-4-carboxamide-1-beta-4-ribofuranosidebut not contraction-induced glucose uptake in skeletal muscleSebastian B Jørgensen
Copenhagen Muscle Research Centre, Department of Human Physiology, 13 Universitetsparken, University of Copenhagen, DK 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
J Biol Chem 279:1070-9. 2004..Alternatively, neither alpha-isoform of AMPK is involved in contraction-induced muscle glucose uptake...
- Ablation of AMP-activated protein kinase alpha1 and alpha2 from mouse pancreatic beta cells and RIP2.Cre neurons suppresses insulin release in vivoG Sun
Section of Cell Biology, Division of Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, Imperial College London, Sir Alexander Fleming Building, Exhibition Road, South Kensington, London, SW7 2AZ, UK
Diabetologia 53:924-36. 2010..AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) is an evolutionarily conserved enzyme and a target of glucose-lowering agents, including metformin. However, the precise role or roles of the enzyme in controlling insulin secretion remain uncertain...
- The alpha-subunit of AMPK is essential for submaximal contraction-mediated glucose transport in skeletal muscle in vitroNatalie Lefort
Department of Anatomy, Laval University Hospital Research Center, Quebec, Canada
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 295:E1447-54. 2008..These data demonstrate that AMPK activation is essential for both AICAR and submaximal contraction-induced glucose transport in skeletal muscle but that AMPK-independent mechanisms are also involved...
- Deficiency of insulin-like growth factor 1 reduces sensitivity to aging-associated cardiomyocyte dysfunctionQun Li
Division of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Center for Cardiovascular Research and Alternative Medicine, University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY 82071, USA
Rejuvenation Res 11:725-33. 2008....
- Ablation of AMP-activated protein kinase alpha2 activity exacerbates insulin resistance induced by high-fat feeding of miceNobuharu Fujii
Department of Medicine, Research Division, Joslin Diabetes Center, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Diabetes 57:2958-66. 2008..We determined whether muscle AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) has a role in the development of insulin resistance...
- Stimulation of glucose transport in response to activation of distinct AMPK signaling pathwaysMing Jing
Dept of Medicine, Case Western Reserve Univ, 10900 Euclid Ave, Cleveland, OH 44106 4951, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 295:C1071-82. 2008..We conclude that although azide, hypoxia, and AICAR all activate AMPK, the downstream signaling pathways are distinct, with azide and hypoxia stimulating ERK1/2 and AICAR stimulating the p38 pathway...
- PKA phosphorylates and inactivates AMPKalpha to promote efficient lipolysisNabil Djouder
Institute of Cell Biology, ETH Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
EMBO J 29:469-81. 2010..These results suggest a new mechanism of negative regulation of AMPK activity by PKA that is important for converting a lipolytic signal into an effective lipolytic response...
- Isoform-selective 5'-AMP-activated protein kinase-dependent preconditioning mechanisms to prevent postischemic leukocyte-endothelial cell adhesive interactionsF Spencer Gaskin
Departments of Medical Pharmacology and Physiology, University of Missouri, Columbia, 65212, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 300:H1352-60. 2011..In sharp contrast, EPC appears to be triggered by an AMPK α(2)-isoform-dependent mechanism...
- Resveratrol inhibits cardiac hypertrophy via AMP-activated protein kinase and AktAnita Y M Chan
Cardiovascular Research Group and the Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
J Biol Chem 283:24194-201. 2008..Taken together, our data suggest that resveratrol exerts anti-hypertrophic effects by activating AMPK via LKB1 and inhibiting Akt, thus suppressing protein synthesis and gene transcription...
- Contraction-induced skeletal muscle FAT/CD36 trafficking and FA uptake is AMPK independentJ Jeppesen
Copenhagen Muscle Research Center, Molecular Physiology Group, Section of Human Physiology, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
J Lipid Res 52:699-711. 2011..However, AMPK could be important in regulation of FAT/CD36 distribution in other physiological situations...
- Important role of the LKB1-AMPK pathway in suppressing tumorigenesis in PTEN-deficient miceXu Huang
MRC Protein Phosphorylation Unit, College of Life Sciences, University of Dundee, Dundee DD1 5EH, UK
Biochem J 412:211-21. 2008....
- Exercise-induced TBC1D1 Ser237 phosphorylation and 14-3-3 protein binding capacity in human skeletal muscleChristian Frøsig
Molecular Physiology Group, Department of Exercise and Sport Sciences, University of Copenhagen, DK 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
J Physiol 588:4539-48. 2010..Furthermore, we show that the catalytic α2 AMPK subunit is the main (but probably not the only) donor of AMPK activity regulating TBC1D1 Ser237 phosphorylation in mouse EDL muscle...
- Lkb1 is required for TGFbeta-mediated myofibroblast differentiationKari Vaahtomeri
Genome Scale Biology Program, Institute of Biomedicine, Biomedicum Helsinki, P O Box 63, 00014 University of Helsinki, Finland
J Cell Sci 121:3531-40. 2008..These results suggest that tumorigenesis by Lkb1-deficient SM22-positive cells involves defective myogenic differentiation...
- AMP-activated protein kinase functionally phosphorylates endothelial nitric oxide synthase Ser633Zhen Chen
Division of Biomedical Sciences, University of California, Riverside, CA 92521, USA
Circ Res 104:496-505. 2009..The aorta of AMPKalpha2(-/-) mice showed attenuated atorvastatin-induced eNOS phosphorylation...
- Positive regulatory control loop between gut leptin and intestinal GLUT2/GLUT5 transporters links to hepatic metabolic functions in rodentsYassine Sakar
INSERM, U773, Centre de recherche Biomedicale Bichat Beaujon, UFR de Médecine Paris 7 Denis Diderot, IFR02 Claude Bernard, Paris, France
PLoS ONE 4:e7935. 2009..In this study, we determine the effects of luminal leptin on activity/expression of GLUT2 and GLUT5 transporters in response to sugars intake and analyse their physiological consequences...
- Activation of AMP-activated protein kinase inhibits oxidized LDL-triggered endoplasmic reticulum stress in vivoYunzhou Dong
ection of Endocrinology and Diabetes, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
Diabetes 59:1386-96. 2010..Here we report that oxidized and glycated LDL (HOG-LDL) causes aberrant endoplasmic reticulum (ER) stress and that the AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) suppressed HOG-LDL-triggered ER stress in vivo...
- Human recombinant ACE2 reduces the progression of diabetic nephropathyGavin Y Oudit
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Diabetes 59:529-38. 2010..Inhibition of ACE2 function accelerates diabetic kidney injury, whereas renal ACE2 is downregulated in diabetic nephropathy. We examined the ability of human recombinant ACE2 (hrACE2) to slow the progression of diabetic kidney injury...
- Activation of AMP-activated protein kinase is involved in vincristine-induced cell apoptosis in B16 melanoma cellMin Bin Chen
Department of Medical Oncology, Kunshan First People s Hospital Affiliated to Jiangsu University, Kunshan, Jiangsu Province, China
J Cell Physiol 226:1915-25. 2011..We suggest that combining AMPK activator AICAR with vincristine may have potential to be used as a new therapeutic intervention against melanoma...
- AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) activation regulates in vitro bone formation and bone massM Shah
Department of Veterinary Basic Sciences Royal Veterinary College, Royal College Street, London, NW1 OTU, UK
Bone 47:309-19. 2010..Both cortical and trabecular bone compartments were smaller in the AMPK alpha1-deficient mice compared to the WT mice. Altogether, our data support a role for AMPK signalling in skeletal physiology...
- Genetic impairment of AMPKalpha2 signaling does not reduce muscle glucose uptake during treadmill exercise in miceStine J Maarbjerg
Department of Exercise and Sport Sciences, Copenhagen Muscle Research Centre, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 297:E924-34. 2009..We studied this in male and female mice overexpressing kinase-dead AMPKalpha2 (AMPK-KD) in skeletal and heart muscles...
- Effects of WY-14,643 on the phosphorylation and activation of AMP-dependent protein kinaseSuthat Liangpunsakul
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine and Roudebush Veterans Administration Medical Center, 545 N Barnhill Drive, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Arch Biochem Biophys 485:10-5. 2009..Whether WY-14,643, a PPARalpha agonist, has any effects on AMPK is not known. The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of WY-14,643 on AMPK activity...
- AMP-activated protein kinase α2 subunit is required for the preservation of hepatic insulin sensitivity by n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acidsTomas Jelenik
Department of Adipose Tissue Biology, Institute of Physiology of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, v v i, Prague, Czech Republic
Diabetes 59:2737-46. 2010..We tested a hypothesis whether AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) has a role in the beneficial effects of n-3 LC-PUFAs...
- Impaired expression of uncoupling protein 2 causes defective postischemic angiogenesis in mice deficient in AMP-activated protein kinase α subunitsMing jiang Xu
Section of Molecular Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, 73104, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 31:1757-65. 2011..The aim of the present study was to determine whether mitochondrial uncoupling protein (UCP) 2 is required for AMPK-dependent angiogenesis in ischemia in vivo...
- AMP-activated protein kinase regulates lymphocyte responses to metabolic stress but is largely dispensable for immune cell development and functionAlice Mayer
Laboratoire de Physiologie Animale, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Gosselies, Belgium
Eur J Immunol 38:948-56. 2008..In conclusion, AMPK represents an important enzyme allowing lymphocytes to resist a mild energy crisis in vitro, but is largely dispensable for activation and expression of effector function in response to antigen stimulation...
- Role of AMP-activated protein kinase in autophagy and proteasome functionRosa Viana
Instituto de Biomedicina de Valencia, CSIC, Nutrient signaling, Jaime Roig 11, 46010 Valencia, Spain Centre for Biomedical Research on Rare Diseases CIBERER, Valencia, Spain
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 369:964-8. 2008..On the other hand, AICAR inhibits the proteasomal degradation of proteins by an AMPK-dependent mechanism. This is a novel function of AMPK that allows the regulation of proteasomal activity under conditions of energy demand...
- Non-CDK-bound p27 (p27(NCDK)) is a marker for cell stress and is regulated through the Akt/PKB and AMPK-kinase pathwaysMia A Björklund
Molecular Cancer Biology Program, Biomedicum Helsinki and Haartman Institute, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Exp Cell Res 316:762-74. 2010..These results indicate that p27(NCDK) is a sensitive marker for both cell stress and proliferation over and above p27 and is regulated by Akt/PKB and AMPK pathways...
- Dissociation of AMP-activated protein kinase and p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase signaling in skeletal muscleRichard C Ho
Research Division, Joslin Diabetes Center, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 362:354-9. 2007..Next, we used transgenic mice expressing an inactive form of the AMPKalpha2 catalytic subunit in skeletal muscle (AMPKalpha2i TG mice)...
- Dual cardiac contractile effects of the alpha2-AMPK deletion in low-flow ischemia and reperfusionKarla Carvajal
INSERM U 769, Faculte de Pharmacie, Universite Paris Sud, Chatenay Malabry, France
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 292:H3136-47. 2007..In conclusion, alpha(2)-AMPK is required for a normal glucose uptake and glycogen content, which protects the heart from the development of the ischemic contracture, but not for contractile recovery in the absence of fatty acids...
- AMP-activated protein kinase alpha2 deficiency affects cardiac cardiolipin homeostasis and mitochondrial functionYoni Athea
INSERM U 769, Universite Paris Sud 11, 5 rue J6B Clément, F 92296 Chatenay Malabry, France
Diabetes 56:786-94. 2007..Here, we investigated whether deletion of AMPKalpha2, the main cardiac catalytic isoform, alters mitochondrial function and biogenesis...
- Lack of AMPKalpha2 enhances pyruvate dehydrogenase activity during exerciseDitte K Klein
Copenhagen Muscle Research Centre, Section of Human Physiology, Department of Exercise and Sport Sciences, University of Copenhagen, 13, Universitetsparken, 2100, Copenhagen, Denmark
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 293:E1242-9. 2007..01) and increased AMPKalpha2 activity in wild-type (WT) mice (110%, P < 0...
- Plectin scaffolds recruit energy-controlling AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) in differentiated myofibresMartin Gregor
Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Max F Perutz Laboratories, University of Vienna, A 1030 Vienna, Austria
J Cell Sci 119:1864-75. 2006..The distinct plectin expression patterns in different fibre types combined with its involvement in the regulation of isoform compositions of AMPK complexes could provide a mechanism whereby cytoarchitecture influences energy homeostasis...
- Estradiol-mediated endothelial nitric oxide synthase association with heat shock protein 90 requires adenosine monophosphate-dependent protein kinaseEberhard Schulz
Evans Memorial Department of Medicine, Whitaker Cardiovascular Institute, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Mass 02118, USA
Circulation 111:3473-80. 2005..We therefore investigated whether AMPK is activated by estradiol in endothelial cells and plays a role in estradiol-induced eNOS activation...
- Functional role of AMP-activated protein kinase in the heart during exerciseNicolas Musi
Research Division, Joslin Diabetes Center, One Joslin Place, Boston, MA 02215, USA
FEBS Lett 579:2045-50. 2005..these increases by studying transgenic (TG) mice expressing a cardiac-specific dominant-negative (inactivating) AMPKalpha2 subunit. Exercise increased cardiac AMPKalpha2 activity in the wild type mice but not in TG...
- Neuroprotective effects of adenosine monophosphate-activated protein kinase inhibition and gene deletion in strokeJun Li
Department of Neurology, University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, CT 06030, USA
Stroke 38:2992-9. 2007..In this study, we examined the effects of AMPK inhibition using both pharmacological and genetic approaches in an in vivo stroke model...
- Increased glucose disposal and AMP-dependent kinase signaling in a mouse model of hemochromatosisJingyu Huang
Department of Biochemistry, The University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
J Biol Chem 282:37501-7. 2007..Instead, the Hfe(-/-) mice demonstrate increased adiponectin levels and activation of AMP-dependent kinase...
- Activation of 5'-AMP-activated kinase with diabetes drug metformin induces casein kinase Iepsilon (CKIepsilon)-dependent degradation of clock protein mPer2Jee Hyun Um
Laboratory of Biochemical Genetics, NHLBI, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Biol Chem 282:20794-8. 2007..We conclude that metformin and AMPK have a previously unrecognized role in regulating the circadian rhythm...
- Identification of protein kinase D as a novel contraction-activated kinase linked to GLUT4-mediated glucose uptake, independent of AMPKJoost J F P Luiken
Department of Molecular Genetics, Cardiovascular Research Institute Maastricht CARIM, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Cell Signal 20:543-56. 2008..activated under these same conditions, in vitro phosphorylation assays and studies with cardiac myocytes from AMPKalpha2(-/-) mice indicated that activation of PKD occurs independent of AMPK activation...
- Role of AMPKalpha2 in basal, training-, and AICAR-induced GLUT4, hexokinase II, and mitochondrial protein expression in mouse muscleSebastian B Jørgensen
Dept of Human Physiology, Copenhagen Muscle Research Centre, Inst of Exercise and Sport Sciences, 13 Universitetsparken, Univ of Copenhagen, DK 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 292:E331-9. 2007..In both muscle types, AMPKalpha2 activity was increased in response to both stimuli, whereas AMPKalpha1 activity was increased only in response ..
- Glucose metabolism and energy homeostasis in mouse hearts overexpressing dominant negative alpha2 subunit of AMP-activated protein kinaseYanqiu Xing
Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Laboratory for Physiological Chemistry, Cardiovascular Division and Research Division, Joslin Diabetes Center, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Biol Chem 278:28372-7. 2003..Thus, AMPK alpha2 is necessary for maintaining myocardial energy homeostasis during ischemia. It is likely that the functional role of AMPK in myocardial energy metabolism resides both in energy supply and utilization...
- Genetic disruption of AMPK signaling abolishes both contraction- and insulin-stimulated TBC1D1 phosphorylation and 14-3-3 binding in mouse skeletal muscleChristian Pehmøller
Molecular Physiology Group, Copenhagen Muscle Research Centre, Dept of Exercise and Sport Sciences, Univ of Copenhagen, DK 2100, Copenhagen, Denmark
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 297:E665-75. 2009..Thus, TBC1D1 is differentially regulated in response to insulin and contraction. This study provides genetic evidence to support an important role for AMPK in regulating TBC1D1 in response to both of these physiological stimuli...
- Activation of AMP kinase alpha1 subunit induces aortic vasorelaxation in miceFrançoise Goirand
Universite Paris Sud, IFR 141, Chatenay Malabry, France
J Physiol 581:1163-71. 2007..aorta were isolated from C57Bl6 mice and mice deficient in the AMPK catalytic alpha1 (AMPKalpha1-/-) or alpha2 (AMPKalpha2-/-) subunit and their littermate controls, and mounted in an organ bath...
- AMP kinase is required for mitochondrial biogenesis in skeletal muscle in response to chronic energy deprivationHaihong Zong
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and the Departments of Internal Medicine, Cell Biology, and Cellular and Molecular Physiology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:15983-7. 2002..These data demonstrate that by sensing the energy status of the muscle cell, AMPK is a critical regulator involved in initiating mitochondrial biogenesis...
- AMP-activated protein kinase mediates preconditioning in cardiomyocytes by regulating activity and trafficking of sarcolemmal ATP-sensitive K(+) channelsAndrey Sukhodub
Maternal and Child Health Sciences, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, University of Dundee, Dundee, UK
J Cell Physiol 210:224-36. 2007....
- Cellular distribution and developmental expression of AMP-activated protein kinase isoforms in mouse central nervous systemA M Turnley
The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Victoria, Australia
J Neurochem 72:1707-16. 1999....
- AMPKalpha2 counteracts the development of cardiac hypertrophy induced by isoproterenolElham Zarrinpashneh
Universite Catholique de Louvain, Division of Cardiology, 55 Avenue Hippocrate, CARD5550, B 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 376:677-81. 2008..However, there is no genetic evidence to confirm this hypothesis. We investigated the contribution of AMPKalpha2 in the control of cardiac hypertrophy by using AMPKalpha2-/- mice submitted to isoproterenol...
- Role of the alpha2-isoform of AMP-activated protein kinase in the metabolic response of the heart to no-flow ischemiaElham Zarrinpashneh
Division of Cardiology, Universite Catholique de Louvain, B 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 291:H2875-83. 2006..In conclusion, AMPKalpha(2) is required for the metabolic response of the heart to no-flow ischemia. The remaining AMPKalpha(1) cannot compensate for the absence of AMPKalpha(2)...
- AMP-activated protein kinase phosphorylates retinoblastoma protein to control mammalian brain developmentBiplab Dasgupta
Department of Pathology, Hope Center for Neurological Disorders, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Dev Cell 16:256-70. 2009..The AMPK-Rb axis is utilized by both growth factors and energy restriction to increase NPC growth. Our results reveal that AMPK integrates growth factor signaling with cell cycle control to regulate brain development...
- Loss of AMPK exacerbates experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis disease severityNarender Nath
Department of Pediatrics, Medical University of South Carolina, SC 29425, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 386:16-20. 2009..exhibited severe EAE disease with profound infiltration of mononuclear cells compared to wild type mice however, AMPKalpha2 is not involved in enhancing the severity of the disease...
- Glucose recruits K(ATP) channels via non-insulin-containing dense-core granulesShao Nian Yang
The Rolf Luft Research Center for Diabetes and Endocrinology, Karolinska Institutet, SE 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Cell Metab 6:217-28. 2007..Our data suggest that glucose can recruit K(ATP) channels to the beta cell plasma membrane via non-insulin-containing dense-core granules in a Ca(2+)- and PKA-dependent manner...
- Inhibition of AMP-activated protein kinase protects pancreatic beta-cells from cytokine-mediated apoptosis and CD8+ T-cell-induced cytotoxicityAudrey Riboulet-Chavey
Professor and Head of Department of Cell Biology, Division of Medicine, Sir Alexander Fleming Building, Imperial College, London, Exhibition Road, London SW7 2AZ, UK
Diabetes 57:415-23. 2008..Here, we examine the importance of beta-cell AMPK in cytokine-induced apoptosis and in the cytotoxic action of CD8(+) T-cells...
- Mechanism of action of A-769662, a valuable tool for activation of AMP-activated protein kinaseOlga Göransson
Division for Diabetes, Metabolism and Endocrinology, Department of Experimental Medical Science, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
J Biol Chem 282:32549-60. 2007..We propose that this direct and specific AMPK activator will be a valuable experimental tool to understand the physiological roles of AMPK...
- Role of adenosine 5'-monophosphate-activated protein kinase in interleukin-6 release from isolated mouse skeletal muscleStephan Glund
Department of Molecular Medicine and Surgery, Section for Integrative Physiology, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Endocrinology 150:600-6. 2009..Skeletal muscle from AMPKalpha2 kinase-dead transgenic, AMPKalpha1 knockout (KO) and AMPKgamma3 KO mice and respective wild-type littermates was ..
- Oxidative stress induces GLUT4 translocation by activation of PI3-K/Akt and dual AMPK kinase in cardiac myocytesTakahiro Horie
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
J Cell Physiol 215:733-42. 2008..alone inhibited H2O2-induced GLUT4 translocation only partially compared to the inhibition produced by the DN of AMPKalpha2. However, the combination of DN-LKB1 and DN-CaMKKbeta inhibited translocation to an extent similar to with DN-..
- AMP activated protein kinase-alpha2 deficiency exacerbates pressure-overload-induced left ventricular hypertrophy and dysfunction in micePing Zhang
Cardiovascular Division, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Hypertension 52:918-24. 2008..To test the hypothesis that AMPKalpha2 protects the heart against systolic overload-induced ventricular hypertrophy and dysfunction, we studied the ..
- The relationship between p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase and AMP-activated protein kinase during myocardial ischemiaSebastien Jacquet
Cardiovascular Division, King s College London, St Thomas Hospital, London SEI 7EH, UK
Cardiovasc Res 76:465-72. 2007..We therefore examined whether AMPK may be the principal "ischemia sensor" responsible for p38 MAPK activation during myocardial ischemia...
- AMPK-independent pathways regulate skeletal muscle fatty acid oxidationNicolas Dzamko
St Vincent s Institute, 9 Princes Street, Fitzroy, Victoria 3065, Australia
J Physiol 586:5819-31. 2008..These data demonstrate that AMPK is not essential for the regulation of fatty acid oxidation by AICAR or muscle contraction...
- AMPK regulates basal skeletal muscle capillarization and VEGF expression, but is not necessary for the angiogenic response to exerciseKevin A Zwetsloot
Department of Exercise and Sport Science, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC 27858, USA
J Physiol 586:6021-35. 2008....
- Crucial role for LKB1 to AMPKalpha2 axis in the regulation of CD36-mediated long-chain fatty acid uptake into cardiomyocytesDaphna D J Habets
Department of Molecular Genetics, Cardiovascular Research Institute Maastricht, Maastricht University, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
Biochim Biophys Acta 1791:212-9. 2009..However, which catalytic isoform (AMPKalpha1 versus AMPKalpha2) is involved, is unknown...
- A Ca(2+)-calmodulin-eEF2K-eEF2 signalling cascade, but not AMPK, contributes to the suppression of skeletal muscle protein synthesis during contractionsAdam J Rose
Copenhagen Muscle Research Centre and Molecular Physiology Group, Department of Exercise and Sport Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
J Physiol 587:1547-63. 2009..In summary, in fast-twitch skeletal muscle, the inhibition of eEF2 activity by phosphorylation downstream of Ca(2+)-CaM-eEF2K signalling partially contributes to the suppression of protein synthesis during exercise/contractions...
- AMP-activated protein kinase deficiency enhances myocardial ischemia/reperfusion injury but has minimal effect on the antioxidant/antinitrative protection of adiponectinYajing Wang
Department of Emergency Medicine, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Circulation 119:835-44. 2009..Deficiency of both AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) and adiponectin occurs in diabetes, but whether AMPK is cardioprotective or a central mediator of adiponectin cardioprotection in vivo remains unknown...
- Cardioprotective effects of short-term caloric restriction are mediated by adiponectin via activation of AMP-activated protein kinaseKen Shinmura
Division of Geriatric Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Keio University School of Medicine, 35 Shinanomachi, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo, Japan 160 8582
Circulation 116:2809-17. 2007..We have demonstrated that short-term CR improves myocardial ischemic tolerance and increases adiponectin levels. Here, we investigated the specific role of adiponectin in CR-induced cardioprotection...
- Skeletal muscle adaptation to exercise training: AMP-activated protein kinase mediates muscle fiber type shiftKatja S C Röckl
Research Division, Joslin Diabetes Center and Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Diabetes 56:2062-9. 2007..this training-induced shift was reduced by approximately 40% in transgenic mice expressing a muscle-specific AMPKalpha2 inactive subunit. Sedentary mice carrying an AMPK-activating mutation (gamma1TG) showed a 2...
- Endogenous peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma augments fatty acid uptake in oxidative muscleAndrew W Norris
Department of Pediatrics, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
Endocrinology 149:5374-83. 2008..Thus, when PPARgamma activity in muscle is absent or reduced, there will be decreased fatty acid disposal leading to diminished energy utilization and ultimately adiposity...
- A tamoxifen-inducible chimeric Cre recombinase specifically effective in the fetal and adult mouse liverMounia Tannour-Louet
Institut Cochin U567, Département de génétique, Développement et Physiopathologie Moléculaires, INSERM U129, Paris, France
Hepatology 35:1072-81. 2002..This would certainly help to understand the physiologic functions of genes in the liver, to create various mouse models mimicking human diseases, and to contribute to liver cancer-specific suicide gene therapy studies...
- Pancreatic LKB1 deletion leads to acinar polarity defects and cystic neoplasmsAram F Hezel
MGH Cancer Center, Simches Research Building, CPZN 4216, 185 Cambridge St, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Mol Cell Biol 28:2414-25. 2008..These genetic studies provide in vivo evidence of a key role for LKB1 in the establishment of epithelial cell polarity that is vital for pancreatic acinar cell function and viability and for the suppression of neoplasia...
- Hypoxic activation of AMPK is dependent on mitochondrial ROS but independent of an increase in AMP/ATP ratioBrooke M Emerling
Department of Medicine, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 46:1386-91. 2009..Collectively, these data indicate that oxidative stress and not an increase in the AMP/ATP ratio is required for hypoxic activation of AMPK...
- Effects of aging on cardiac and skeletal muscle AMPK activity: basal activity, allosteric activation, and response to in vivo hypoxemia in miceAsensio A Gonzalez
Department ofMedicine, University of Wisconsin, Madison 53706, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 287:R1270-5. 2004..Activation of AMPK by in vivo hypoxia is slower and more modest than might be predicted from in vitro and ex vivo experiments...
- THE c-jun PROTO-ONCOGENE AND TUMOR HYPOXIAKeith Laderoute; Fiscal Year: 2005..They will also identify new mammalian transcriptional regulators responsive to a wide range of low oxygen conditions. ..
- Role of LKB1 and AMPK in Metformin and TZD Control of Glucose Metabolism in LiverREUBEN SHAW; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies will better illuminate the mechanism of action of these two widely used type 2 diabetes modalities, as well as identifying many new targets for the development of future therapeutics. ..
- Muscle PPARgamma and Metabolic RegulationAndrew Norris; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- HYPOXIC STRESS MECHANISMS IN RADIATION AND CHEMOTHERAPYKeith Laderoute; Fiscal Year: 2009..An understanding of these MTF-1-dependent properties should aid in the development of novel prognostic and new modalities for neoplastic diseases. ..
- Regulatory Control of Metabolic Flexibility in Skeletal Muscle.Andrew Norris; Fiscal Year: 2009..The knowledge gained from the successful completion of this project will help design new strategies to prevent and treat type 2 diabetes onset and progression. ..
- ROLE OF AMPK IN TUMOR DEVELOPMENT AND THERAPYKeith R Laderoute; Fiscal Year: 2010..Ultimately, we intend to determine whether the AMPK "emergency stress response" can be exploited for the therapy or prognosis of human cancer. ..
- Role of LKB1 and AMPK in Metformin and TZD Control of Glucose Metabolism in LiverREUBEN JAMES SHAW; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies will better illuminate the mechanism of action of these two widely used type 2 diabetes modalities, as well as identifying many new targets for the development of future therapeutics. ..
- ROLE OF AMPK IN TUMOR DEVELOPMENT AND THERAPYKeith Laderoute; Fiscal Year: 2007..Ultimately, we intend to determine whether the AMPK "emergency stress response" can be exploited for the therapy or prognosis of human cancer. ..
- Regulation of Mammalian Oocyte MaturationStephen Downs; Fiscal Year: 2007..Furthermore, these studies will benefit the development of in vitro systems where either meiotic arrest or completion of meiotic maturation is the desired endpoint. ..
- TUMOR HYPOXIA AND C JUN PROTOONCOGENE EXPRESSIONKeith Laderoute; Fiscal Year: 2000..Genes such as these regulated by the c- jun/AP1 complexes may be part of a concerted response to injury or environmental stress associated with perturbations of cellular redox states. ..
- FORMAL METHODS APPLIED TO BIOLOGICAL SIGNALING NETWORKSKeith Laderoute; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Regulatory Control of Metabolic Flexibility in Skeletal Muscle.Andrew W Norris; Fiscal Year: 2010..The knowledge gained from the successful completion of this project will help design new strategies to prevent and treat type 2 diabetes onset and progression. ..