Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Prdm1
Description: PR domain containing 1, with ZNF domain
Alias: Blimp-1, Blimp1, PRDI-BF1, ZNFPR1A1, b2b1765Clo, PR domain zinc finger protein 1, B lymphocyte induced maturation protein, B lymphocyte-induced maturation protein 1, PR domain-containing protein 1, beta-interferon gene positive regulatory domain I-binding factor
- Peperzak V, Vikstrom I, Walker J, Glaser S, Lepage M, Coquery C, et al. Mcl-1 is essential for the survival of plasma cells. Nat Immunol. 2013;14:290-7 pubmed publisher..Our results identify a critical role for Mcl-1 in the maintenance of plasma cells...
- Cretney E, Xin A, Shi W, Minnich M, Masson F, Miasari M, et al. The transcription factors Blimp-1 and IRF4 jointly control the differentiation and function of effector regulatory T cells. Nat Immunol. 2011;12:304-11 pubmed publisher..Thus, our study defines a differentiation pathway that leads to the acquisition of T(reg) cell effector functions and requires both IRF4 and Blimp-1. ..
- Tunyaplin C, Shapiro M, Calame K. Characterization of the B lymphocyte-induced maturation protein-1 (Blimp-1) gene, mRNA isoforms and basal promoter. Nucleic Acids Res. 2000;28:4846-55 pubmed..Multiple Blimp-1 transcription initiates sites were mapped near an initiator element and a region conferring basal promoter activity has been identified. ..
- Yabuta Y, Kurimoto K, Ohinata Y, Seki Y, Saitou M. Gene expression dynamics during germline specification in mice identified by quantitative single-cell gene expression profiling. Biol Reprod. 2006;75:705-16 pubmed..5 by signaling molecules. Prdm1(also known as Blimp1)-positive lineage-restricted precursors of primordial germ cells (PGCs) initiate the formation of a cluster that ..
- Snippert H, Haegebarth A, Kasper M, Jaks V, van Es J, Barker N, et al. Lgr6 marks stem cells in the hair follicle that generate all cell lineages of the skin. Science. 2010;327:1385-9 pubmed publisher..Adult Lgr6+ cells executed long-term wound repair, including the formation of new hair follicles. We conclude that Lgr6 marks the most primitive epidermal stem cell...
- Muto A, Ochiai K, Kimura Y, Itoh Nakadai A, Calame K, Ikebe D, et al. Bach2 represses plasma cell gene regulatory network in B cells to promote antibody class switch. EMBO J. 2010;29:4048-61 pubmed publisher..Reduction in mature B-cell numbers in Bach2(-/-) mice was not rescued by Blimp-1 ablation, indicating that Bach2 regulates B-cell differentiation and function through Blimp-1-dependent and -independent GRNs. ..
- Sun J, Dodd H, Moser E, Sharma R, Braciale T. CD4+ T cell help and innate-derived IL-27 induce Blimp-1-dependent IL-10 production by antiviral CTLs. Nat Immunol. 2011;12:327-34 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal a previously unrecognized pathway that coordinates signals derived from innate and helper T cells to control the production of a regulatory cytokine by CTLs during acute viral infection. ..
- Shaffer A, Lin K, Kuo T, Yu X, Hurt E, Rosenwald A, et al. Blimp-1 orchestrates plasma cell differentiation by extinguishing the mature B cell gene expression program. Immunity. 2002;17:51-62 pubmed
- Shapiro Shelef M, Lin K, McHeyzer Williams L, Liao J, McHeyzer Williams M, Calame K. Blimp-1 is required for the formation of immunoglobulin secreting plasma cells and pre-plasma memory B cells. Immunity. 2003;19:607-20 pubmed..We have created mice with a B cell-specific deletion of prdm1, the gene encoding Blimp-1...
- Ohinata Y, Payer B, O Carroll D, Ancelin K, Ono Y, Sano M, et al. Blimp1 is a critical determinant of the germ cell lineage in mice. Nature. 2005;436:207-13 pubmed..Here we show that Blimp1 (also known as Prdm1), a known transcriptional repressor, has a critical role in the foundation of the mouse germ ..
- Cimmino L, Martins G, Liao J, Magnusdottir E, Grunig G, Perez R, et al. Blimp-1 attenuates Th1 differentiation by repression of ifng, tbx21, and bcl6 gene expression. J Immunol. 2008;181:2338-47 pubmed..Our data provide evidence that Blimp-1 functions in Th2 cells to reinforce Th2 differentiation by repressing critical Th1 genes. ..
- Chang D, Cattoretti G, Calame K. The dynamic expression pattern of B lymphocyte induced maturation protein-1 (Blimp-1) during mouse embryonic development. Mech Dev. 2002;117:305-9 pubmed..Finally, Blimp-1 is expressed in the migrating primordial germ cells. ..
- Johnston R, Poholek A, DiToro D, Yusuf I, Eto D, Barnett B, et al. Bcl6 and Blimp-1 are reciprocal and antagonistic regulators of T follicular helper cell differentiation. Science. 2009;325:1006-10 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that T(FH) cells are required for proper B cell responses in vivo and that Bcl6 and Blimp-1 play central but opposing roles in T(FH) differentiation. ..
- Lesko M, Driskell R, Kretzschmar K, Goldie S, Watt F. Sox2 modulates the function of two distinct cell lineages in mouse skin. Dev Biol. 2013;382:15-26 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Sox2 is a marker of two distinct lineages in the skin and regulates the number of differentiated cells in the case of the Merkel cell lineage and hair follicle type in the case of the DP. ..
- Ochiai K, Katoh Y, Ikura T, Hoshikawa Y, Noda T, Karasuyama H, et al. Plasmacytic transcription factor Blimp-1 is repressed by Bach2 in B cells. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:38226-34 pubmed..The reporter gene of the Blimp-1 gene (Prdm1) was repressed by the overexpression of Bach2 in B cell lines...
- Martins G, Cimmino L, Shapiro Shelef M, Szabolcs M, Herron A, Magnusdottir E, et al. Transcriptional repressor Blimp-1 regulates T cell homeostasis and function. Nat Immunol. 2006;7:457-65 pubmed..These results emphasize a crucial function for Blimp-1 in controlling T cell homeostasis and activation. ..
- Yoon H, Scharer C, Majumder P, Davis C, Butler R, Zinzow Kramer W, et al. ZBTB32 is an early repressor of the CIITA and MHC class II gene expression during B cell differentiation to plasma cells. J Immunol. 2012;189:2393-403 pubmed publisher..These results introduce ZBTB32 as a novel regulator of MHC-II gene expression and a potential regulatory partner of Blimp-1 in repressing gene expression. ..
- Chu L, Surani M, Jaenisch R, Zwaka T. Blimp1 expression predicts embryonic stem cell development in vitro. Curr Biol. 2011;21:1759-65 pubmed publisher..Here we show that inner cell mass (ICM)-generated cells expressing Blimp1, a key transcriptional repressor of the somatic program during germ cell specification [5, 6], emerge on day 2 of ..
- West J, Viswanathan S, Yabuuchi A, Cunniff K, Takeuchi A, Park I, et al. A role for Lin28 in primordial germ-cell development and germ-cell malignancy. Nature. 2009;460:909-13 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we show that Blimp1 (also called Prdm1), a let-7 target and a master regulator of PGC specification, can rescue the effect of Lin28 ..
- Vincent S, Dunn N, Sciammas R, Shapiro Shalef M, Davis M, Calame K, et al. The zinc finger transcriptional repressor Blimp1/Prdm1 is dispensable for early axis formation but is required for specification of primordial germ cells in the mouse. Development. 2005;132:1315-25 pubmedb>Blimp1, a zinc-finger containing DNA-binding transcriptional repressor, functions as a master regulator of B cell terminal differentiation...
- Harper J, Mould A, Andrews R, Bikoff E, Robertson E. The transcriptional repressor Blimp1/Prdm1 regulates postnatal reprogramming of intestinal enterocytes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:10585-90 pubmed publisher..The transcriptional repressor Blimp1 is strongly expressed in immature enterocytes in utero, but these are gradually replaced by Blimp1(-) crypt-..
- Shin H, Kapoor V, Guan T, Kaech S, Welsh R, Berg L. Epigenetic modifications induced by Blimp-1 Regulate CD8? T cell memory progression during acute virus infection. Immunity. 2013;39:661-75 pubmed publisher..These data elucidate a central mechanism by which Blimp-1 acts as an epigenetic regulator and enhances the numbers of short-lived effector cells while suppressing the development of memory-precursor CD8? T cells. ..
- Yamaji M, Seki Y, Kurimoto K, Yabuta Y, Yuasa M, Shigeta M, et al. Critical function of Prdm14 for the establishment of the germ cell lineage in mice. Nat Genet. 2008;40:1016-22 pubmed publisher..In Prdm14 mutants, the failure of these two events manifests even in the presence of Prdm1 (also known as Blimp1), a key transcriptional regulator for PGC specification...
- Emslie D, D Costa K, Hasbold J, Metcalf D, Takatsu K, Hodgkin P, et al. Oct2 enhances antibody-secreting cell differentiation through regulation of IL-5 receptor alpha chain expression on activated B cells. J Exp Med. 2008;205:409-21 pubmed publisher..IL-5 augments ASC differentiation in vitro, and we show that IL-5 directly activates the plasma cell differentiation program by enhancing blimp1 expression.
- Fairfax K, Corcoran L, Pridans C, Huntington N, Kallies A, Nutt S, et al. Different kinetics of blimp-1 induction in B cell subsets revealed by reporter gene. J Immunol. 2007;178:4104-11 pubmed..Transferred naive Blimp-1(GFP/+) B1 and B2 cells both gave rise to ASCs in the bone marrow, suggesting no intrinsic barriers to B1 cell entry into the long-lived ASC compartment. ..
- Gupta S, Anthony A, Pernis A. Stage-specific modulation of IFN-regulatory factor 4 function by Krüppel-type zinc finger proteins. J Immunol. 2001;166:6104-11 pubmed..that IRF-4 interacts with B lymphocyte-induced maturation protein/positive regulatory domain I-binding factor 1 (Blimp1/PRD1-BF1), a Krüppel-type zinc finger protein whose expression correlates with terminal B cell differentiation...
- Wang L, van Panhuys N, Hu Li J, Kim S, Le Gros G, Min B. Blimp-1 induced by IL-4 plays a critical role in suppressing IL-2 production in activated CD4 T cells. J Immunol. 2008;181:5249-56 pubmed..Taken together, our results demonstrate a potential link with IL-4, Blimp-1, and IL-2 production, suggesting that Blimp-1 may play an important role in controlling IL-2 production in activated T cells and in adaptive T cell immunity. ..
- Nishikawa K, Nakashima T, Hayashi M, Fukunaga T, Kato S, Kodama T, et al. Blimp1-mediated repression of negative regulators is required for osteoclast differentiation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:3117-22 pubmed publisher..Here we show that B lymphocyte-induced maturation protein-1 (Blimp1; encoded by Prdm1), which is induced by RANKL through NFATc1 during osteoclastogenesis, functions as a ..
- Shapiro Shelef M, Lin K, Savitsky D, Liao J, Calame K. Blimp-1 is required for maintenance of long-lived plasma cells in the bone marrow. J Exp Med. 2005;202:1471-6 pubmed..This finding provides the possibility of new drug design strategies for autoimmunity and multiple myeloma focused on blocking Blimp-1 expression or activity. ..
- Turner C, Mack D, Davis M. Blimp-1, a novel zinc finger-containing protein that can drive the maturation of B lymphocytes into immunoglobulin-secreting cells. Cell. 1994;77:297-306 pubmed..Thus, Blimp-1 appears to be a pleiotropic regulatory factor capable of at least partially driving the terminal differentiation of B cells. ..
- MARTINS G, Calame K. Regulation and functions of Blimp-1 in T and B lymphocytes. Annu Rev Immunol. 2008;26:133-69 pubmed publisher..In spite of some commonalities, different targets and regulators of Blimp-1 in B and T cells suggest intriguing evolutionary divergence of this regulatory machinery. ..
- Rutishauser R, Martins G, Kalachikov S, Chandele A, Parish I, Meffre E, et al. Transcriptional repressor Blimp-1 promotes CD8(+) T cell terminal differentiation and represses the acquisition of central memory T cell properties. Immunity. 2009;31:296-308 pubmed publisher..These results reveal a critical role for Blimp-1 in controlling terminal differentiation and suppressing memory cell developmental potential in effector CD8(+) T cells during viral infection...
- Kallies A, Xin A, Belz G, Nutt S. Blimp-1 transcription factor is required for the differentiation of effector CD8(+) T cells and memory responses. Immunity. 2009;31:283-95 pubmed publisher..This study identifies Blimp-1 as a master regulator of the terminal differentiation of CD8(+) effector T cells and uncovers a conservation of the pathways that regulate the terminal differentiation of T and B cells. ..
- Mould A, Morgan M, Li L, Bikoff E, Robertson E. Blimp1/Prdm1 governs terminal differentiation of endovascular trophoblast giant cells and defines multipotent progenitors in the developing placenta. Genes Dev. 2012;26:2063-74 pubmed publisherDevelopmental arrest of Blimp1/Prdm1 mutant embryos at around embryonic day 10.5 (E10.5) has been attributed to placental disturbances. Here we investigate Blimp1/Prdm1 requirements in the trophoblast cell lineage...
- Watanabe N, Mii S, Asai N, Asai M, Niimi K, Ushida K, et al. The REV7 subunit of DNA polymerase ? is essential for primordial germ cell maintenance in the mouse. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:10459-71 pubmed publisher..5. These findings indicate that Rev7 is essential for PGC maintenance by prevention of apoptotic cell death in the mouse. ..
- Muncan V, Heijmans J, Krasinski S, Büller N, Wildenberg M, Meisner S, et al. Blimp1 regulates the transition of neonatal to adult intestinal epithelium. Nat Commun. 2011;2:452 pubmed publisher..Here we show that transcriptional repressor B lymphocyte-induced maturation protein 1 (Blimp1) is highly expressed in the developing and postnatal intestinal epithelium until the suckling to weaning ..
- Chiang M, Yang S, Lin I, Hong J, Lin S, Ying H, et al. Inducible deletion of the Blimp-1 gene in adult epidermis causes granulocyte-dominated chronic skin inflammation in mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:6476-81 pubmed publisher..Epidermal-specific deletion of PR domain containing 1, with ZNF domain (Prdm1), the gene encoding Blimp-1, in adult mice caused spontaneously inflamed skin characterized by massive dermal ..
- Shin H, Blackburn S, Intlekofer A, Kao C, Angelosanto J, Reiner S, et al. A role for the transcriptional repressor Blimp-1 in CD8(+) T cell exhaustion during chronic viral infection. Immunity. 2009;31:309-20 pubmed publisher..Thus, we identify Blimp-1 as a transcriptional regulator of CD8(+) T cell exhaustion during chronic viral infection and propose that Blimp-1 acts as a transcriptional rheostat balancing effector function and T cell exhaustion...
- Martins G, Cimmino L, Liao J, Magnusdottir E, Calame K. Blimp-1 directly represses Il2 and the Il2 activator Fos, attenuating T cell proliferation and survival. J Exp Med. 2008;205:1959-65 pubmed publisherMice with a T cell-specific deletion of Prdm1, encoding Blimp-1, have aberrant T cell homeostasis and develop fatal colitis...
- Driskell R, Lichtenberger B, Hoste E, Kretzschmar K, Simons B, Charalambous M, et al. Distinct fibroblast lineages determine dermal architecture in skin development and repair. Nature. 2013;504:277-281 pubmed publisher..They also form a platform for discovering fibroblast lineages in other tissues and for examining fibroblast changes in ageing and disease. ..
- Kallies A, Hawkins E, Belz G, Metcalf D, Hommel M, Corcoran L, et al. Transcriptional repressor Blimp-1 is essential for T cell homeostasis and self-tolerance. Nat Immunol. 2006;7:466-74 pubmed..These data identify Blimp-1 as an essential regulator of T cell homeostasis and suggest that Blimp-1 regulates both B cell and T cell differentiation. ..
- Kwon H, Thierry Mieg D, Thierry Mieg J, Kim H, Oh J, Tunyaplin C, et al. Analysis of interleukin-21-induced Prdm1 gene regulation reveals functional cooperation of STAT3 and IRF4 transcription factors. Immunity. 2009;31:941-52 pubmed publisherInterleukin-21 (IL-21) is a pleiotropic cytokine that induces expression of transcription factor BLIMP1 (encoded by Prdm1), which regulates plasma cell differentiation and T cell homeostasis...
- Shaffer A, Shapiro Shelef M, Iwakoshi N, Lee A, Qian S, Zhao H, et al. XBP1, downstream of Blimp-1, expands the secretory apparatus and other organelles, and increases protein synthesis in plasma cell differentiation. Immunity. 2004;21:81-93 pubmed..Thus, XBP1 coordinates diverse changes in cellular structure and function resulting in the characteristic phenotype of professional secretory cells...
- Sciammas R, Davis M. Modular nature of Blimp-1 in the regulation of gene expression during B cell maturation. J Immunol. 2004;172:5427-40 pubmed..Furthermore, mutagenesis of Blimp-1 reveals multiple effector domains, which regulate distinct genes. This indicates that Blimp-1 subdivides the maturation program into select and tunable pathways. ..
- Iwasaki Y, Fujio K, Okamura T, Yanai A, Sumitomo S, Shoda H, et al. Egr-2 transcription factor is required for Blimp-1-mediated IL-10 production in IL-27-stimulated CD4+ T cells. Eur J Immunol. 2013;43:1063-73 pubmed publisher..IL-27-mediated induction of Prdm1 that codes B lymphocyte induced maturation protein-1, a transcriptional regulator important for IL-10 production in CD4(+) T cells, was also ..
- Hasbold J, Corcoran L, Tarlinton D, Tangye S, Hodgkin P. Evidence from the generation of immunoglobulin G-secreting cells that stochastic mechanisms regulate lymphocyte differentiation. Nat Immunol. 2004;5:55-63 pubmed..Stochastic division-linked regulation of heterogeneity challenges the conventional paradigms linking distinct phenotypes to unique combinations of signals and has the potential to simplify our concept of immune complexity considerably. ..
- Chan Y, Chiang M, Tsai Y, Su S, Chen M, Hou M, et al. Absence of the transcriptional repressor Blimp-1 in hematopoietic lineages reveals its role in dendritic cell homeostatic development and function. J Immunol. 2009;183:7039-46 pubmed publisher..Deletion of Prdm1, the gene encoding Blimp-1, in mouse hematopoietic lineages resulted in an increase in the steady-state number of ..
- Kurimoto K, Yabuta Y, Ohinata Y, Shigeta M, Yamanaka K, Saitou M. Complex genome-wide transcription dynamics orchestrated by Blimp1 for the specification of the germ cell lineage in mice. Genes Dev. 2008;22:1617-35 pubmed publisher..We also analyzed the effect of the loss of Blimp1, a key transcriptional regulator, on these dynamics...
- Kallies A, Hasbold J, Tarlinton D, Dietrich W, Corcoran L, Hodgkin P, et al. Plasma cell ontogeny defined by quantitative changes in blimp-1 expression. J Exp Med. 2004;200:967-77 pubmed..Thus, maturation from transient plasmablast to long-lived ASCs in bone marrow is predicated on quantitative increases in Blimp-1 expression...
- Corcoran L, Hasbold J, Dietrich W, Hawkins E, Kallies A, Nutt S, et al. Differential requirement for OBF-1 during antibody-secreting cell differentiation. J Exp Med. 2005;201:1385-96 pubmed..Under these conditions, the loss of OBF-1 blocks the genetic program of ASC differentiation so that Blimp-1/prdm1 induction fails, and bcl-6, Pax5, and AID are not repressed as in control ASC...
- Salehi S, Bankoti R, Benevides L, Willen J, Couse M, Silva J, et al. B lymphocyte-induced maturation protein-1 contributes to intestinal mucosa homeostasis by limiting the number of IL-17-producing CD4+ T cells. J Immunol. 2012;189:5682-93 pubmed publisher..Collectively, the results described here establish a new role for Blimp-1 in regulating IL-17 production in vivo. ..
- Angelin Duclos C, Johnson K, Liao J, Lin K, Calame K. An interfering form of Blimp-1 increases IgM secreting plasma cells and blocks maturation of peripheral B cells. Eur J Immunol. 2002;32:3765-75 pubmed..These results show that in vivo Blimp-1 plays a fundamental role in the control of the life span and exit from the cell cycle of IgM secreting plasma cells. ..
- Gong D, Malek T. Cytokine-dependent Blimp-1 expression in activated T cells inhibits IL-2 production. J Immunol. 2007;178:242-52 pubmed..Collectively, these findings indicate that there is a negative feedback regulatory loop in activated T cells such that IL-2 inhibits its own production through induction of Blimp-1 while promoting an effector cell phenotype. ..