Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Plin1
Description: perilipin 1
Alias: 6030432J05Rik, Peri, Plin, perilipin-1, lipid droplet-associated protein, perilipin A, perilipin B
- Miyoshi H, Perfield J, Souza S, Shen W, Zhang H, Stancheva Z, et al. Control of adipose triglyceride lipase action by serine 517 of perilipin A globally regulates protein kinase A-stimulated lipolysis in adipocytes. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:996-1002 pubmedPhosphorylation of the lipid droplet-associated protein perilipin A (Peri A) mediates the actions of cyclic AMP-dependent protein kinase A (PKA) to stimulate triglyceride hydrolysis (lipolysis) in adipocytes...
- Miyoshi H, Souza S, Endo M, Sawada T, Perfield J, Shimizu C, et al. Perilipin overexpression in mice protects against diet-induced obesity. J Lipid Res. 2010;51:975-82 pubmed publisherb>Perilipin A is the most abundant phosphoprotein on adipocyte lipid droplets and is essential for lipid storage and lipolysis...
- Castro Chavez F, Yechoor V, Saha P, Martinez Botas J, Wooten E, Sharma S, et al. Coordinated upregulation of oxidative pathways and downregulation of lipid biosynthesis underlie obesity resistance in perilipin knockout mice: a microarray gene expression profile. Diabetes. 2003;52:2666-74 pubmed..We previously reported that the inactivation of the gene for perilipin (plin), an adipocyte lipid droplet surface protein, produced lean and obesity-resistant mice...
- Garcia A, Sekowski A, Subramanian V, Brasaemle D. The central domain is required to target and anchor perilipin A to lipid droplets. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:625-35 pubmed..To map the domains that target and anchor perilipin A to lipid droplets, we stably expressed fragments of perilipin A in 3T3-L1 fibroblasts...
- Sawada T, Miyoshi H, Shimada K, Suzuki A, Okamatsu Ogura Y, Perfield J, et al. Perilipin overexpression in white adipose tissue induces a brown fat-like phenotype. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e14006 pubmed publisherb>Perilipin A (PeriA) exclusively locates on adipocyte lipid droplets and is essential for lipid storage and lipolysis...
- Saha P, Kojima H, Martinez Botas J, Sunehag A, Chan L. Metabolic adaptations in the absence of perilipin: increased beta-oxidation and decreased hepatic glucose production associated with peripheral insulin resistance but normal glucose tolerance in perilipin-null mice. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:35150-8 pubmed..To investigate the metabolic adaptations in response to the constitutive lipolysis, we studied perilipin-null (plin(-/-)) mice in terms of their fatty acid oxidation and glycerol and glucose metabolism homeostasis by using dynamic ..
- Sun Z, Gong J, Wu H, Xu W, Wu L, Xu D, et al. Perilipin1 promotes unilocular lipid droplet formation through the activation of Fsp27 in adipocytes. Nat Commun. 2013;4:1594 pubmed publisher..Here, we identify Perilipin1 (Plin1), another adipocyte-specific lipid droplet-associated protein, as an Fsp27 activator...
- Zhai W, Xu C, Ling Y, Liu S, Deng J, Qi Y, et al. Increased lipolysis in adipose tissues is associated with elevation of systemic free fatty acids and insulin resistance in perilipin null mice. Horm Metab Res. 2010;42:247-53 pubmed publisher..The increased lipolytic action may accelerate FFA efflux from the adipose tissues to the bloodstream, thereby accounting for systemic FFA elevation and, hence, insulin resistance in perilipin null mice. ..
- Wang H, Bell M, Sreenivasan U, Sreenevasan U, Hu H, Liu J, et al. Unique regulation of adipose triglyceride lipase (ATGL) by perilipin 5, a lipid droplet-associated protein. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:15707-15 pubmed publisher..Using a cell culture model, we examined interactions of ATGL and its co-lipase CGI-58 with perilipin 1 (perilipin A), perilipin 2 (adipose differentiation-related protein), and perilipin 5 (LSDP5) using multiple ..
- Tansey J, Sztalryd C, Gruia Gray J, Roush D, Zee J, Gavrilova O, et al. Perilipin ablation results in a lean mouse with aberrant adipocyte lipolysis, enhanced leptin production, and resistance to diet-induced obesity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:6494-9 pubmed..To study the role of perilipin in vivo, we have created a perilipin knockout mouse. Perilipin null (peri(-/-)) and wild-type (peri(+/+)) mice consume equal amounts of food, but the adipose tissue mass in the null animals ..
- Sztalryd C, Xu G, Dorward H, Tansey J, Contreras J, Kimmel A, et al. Perilipin A is essential for the translocation of hormone-sensitive lipase during lipolytic activation. J Cell Biol. 2003;161:1093-103 pubmed..reaction in the nonadipocyte Chinese hamster ovary cell line by introduction of GFP-tagged HSL with and without perilipin A. On activation of protein kinase A, HSL-GFP translocates to lipid droplets only in cells that express fully ..
- Arimura N, Horiba T, Imagawa M, Shimizu M, Sato R. The peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma regulates expression of the perilipin gene in adipocytes. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:10070-6 pubmed
- Lu X, Gruia Gray J, Copeland N, Gilbert D, Jenkins N, Londos C, et al. The murine perilipin gene: the lipid droplet-associated perilipins derive from tissue-specific, mRNA splice variants and define a gene family of ancient origin. Mamm Genome. 2001;12:741-9 pubmed..Perilipin (Peri) expression appears to be limited to adipocytes and steroidogenic cells, in which intracellular neutral lipid ..
- Granneman J, Moore H, Krishnamoorthy R, Rathod M. Perilipin controls lipolysis by regulating the interactions of AB-hydrolase containing 5 (Abhd5) and adipose triglyceride lipase (Atgl). J Biol Chem. 2009;284:34538-44 pubmed publisher..of stored lipid by hormones is a fundamental function of fat cells, and there is strong evidence that perilipin (Plin), a lipid droplet scaffold, and adipose tissue triglyceride lipase (Atgl), a triglyceride-specific lipase, play ..
- Gauthier M, Miyoshi H, Souza S, Cacicedo J, Saha A, Greenberg A, et al. AMP-activated protein kinase is activated as a consequence of lipolysis in the adipocyte: potential mechanism and physiological relevance. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:16514-24 pubmed publisher..Finally, this AMPK activation appears to restrain the energy depletion and oxidative stress caused by lipolysis. ..
- Ohoka N, Kato S, Takahashi Y, Hayashi H, Sato R. The orphan nuclear receptor RORalpha restrains adipocyte differentiation through a reduction of C/EBPbeta activity and perilipin gene expression. Mol Endocrinol. 2009;23:759-71 pubmed publisher..RORalpha inhibits PPARgamma-dependent adipogenesis along with the repression of perilipin induction. These findings suggest that RORalpha is a novel negative regulator of adipocyte differentiation that acts through dual mechanisms. ..
- Cohen A, Razani B, Schubert W, Williams T, Wang X, Iyengar P, et al. Role of caveolin-1 in the modulation of lipolysis and lipid droplet formation. Diabetes. 2004;53:1261-70 pubmed..Taken together, our data provide the first molecular genetic evidence that caveolin-1 plays a critical functional and structural role in the modulation of both lipid droplet biogenesis and metabolism in vivo. ..
- Mishima T, Miner J, Morizane M, Stahl A, Sadovsky Y. The expression and function of fatty acid transport protein-2 and -4 in the murine placenta. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e25865 pubmed publisher..We surmised that placental FATPs are germane for fetal growth, and are regulated during hypoxic stress, which is associated with reduced fat supply to the fetus...
- Hsieh K, Lee Y, Londos C, Raaka B, Dalen K, Kimmel A. Perilipin family members preferentially sequester to either triacylglycerol-specific or cholesteryl-ester-specific intracellular lipid storage droplets. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:4067-76 pubmed publisher..Mammalian genomes have distinct Plin gene members and additional protein forms derived from specific mRNA splice variants...
- Sun C, Berry W, Olson L. PDGFR? controls the balance of stromal and adipogenic cells during adipose tissue organogenesis. Development. 2017;144:83-94 pubmed publisher..Our data highlight the importance of balancing stromal versus adipogenic cell expansion during white adipose tissue development, with PDGFR? activity coordinating this crucial process in the embryo. ..
- Chen M, Wang H, Li X, Li N, Xu G, Meng Q. PLIN1 deficiency affects testicular gene expression at the meiotic stage in the first wave of spermatogenesis. Gene. 2014;543:212-9 pubmed publisherPLIN1, a lipid droplet associated protein, has been implicated in playing a key role in the regulation of lipolysis and lipid storage in adipocytes...
- Brommage R, Desai U, Revelli J, Donoviel D, Fontenot G, Dacosta C, et al. High-throughput screening of mouse knockout lines identifies true lean and obese phenotypes. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2008;16:2362-7 pubmed publisher..This simple and cost-effective screen appears capable of identifying genes with a role in regulating mammalian body fat. ..
- Liu S, Geng B, Zou L, Wei S, Wang W, Deng J, et al. Development of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy in perilipin-1 null mice with adipose tissue dysfunction. Cardiovasc Res. 2015;105:20-30 pubmedPerilipin-1 (Plin1), exclusively located on the surface of lipid droplets in adipocytes, regulates the storage and hydrolysis of adipose triglycerides...
- Wang W, Kissig M, Rajakumari S, Huang L, Lim H, Won K, et al. Ebf2 is a selective marker of brown and beige adipogenic precursor cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:14466-71 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these results indicate that Ebf2 specifically marks and regulates the molecular profile of brown preadipose cells. ..
- Bénézech C, Mader E, Desanti G, Khan M, Nakamura K, White A, et al. Lymphotoxin-? receptor signaling through NF-?B2-RelB pathway reprograms adipocyte precursors as lymph node stromal cells. Immunity. 2012;37:721-34 pubmed publisher..Thus, we propose that adipose tissues act as a source of lymphoid stroma for lymph nodes and other lymphoid structures associated with fat. ..
- Nagai S, Shimizu C, Umetsu M, Taniguchi S, Endo M, Miyoshi H, et al. Identification of a functional peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor responsive element within the murine perilipin gene. Endocrinology. 2004;145:2346-56 pubmed..Real-time RT-PCR revealed that thiazolidinedione up-regulates endogenous perilipin mRNA levels. We propose that PPARgamma plays a significant role in the transcriptional regulation of murine perilipin gene via the PPRE in its promoter. ..
- Ertunc M, Sikkeland J, Fenaroli F, Griffiths G, Daniels M, Cao H, et al. Secretion of fatty acid binding protein aP2 from adipocytes through a nonclassical pathway in response to adipocyte lipase activity. J Lipid Res. 2015;56:423-34 pubmed publisher..Given the effect of circulating aP2 on glucose metabolism, these data support that targeting aP2 or the lipolysis-dependent secretory pathway may present novel mechanistic and translational opportunities in metabolic disease. ..
- Hansen J, Krintel C, Hernebring M, Haataja T, de Marè S, Wasserstrom S, et al. Perilipin 1 binds to aquaporin 7 in human adipocytes and controls its mobility via protein kinase A mediated phosphorylation. Metabolism. 2016;65:1731-1742 pubmed publisher..Here, we propose a molecular mechanism where the AQP7 mobility in adipocytes is dependent on perilipin 1 and protein kinase A...
- Wei S, Liu S, Su X, Wang W, Li F, Deng J, et al. Spontaneous development of hepatosteatosis in perilipin-1 null mice with adipose tissue dysfunction. Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Cell Biol Lipids. 2018;1863:212-218 pubmed publisher..Here, we investigated the mechanism of maladaptive hepatosteatosis with adipose-tissue dysfunction. Perilipin 1 (Plin1) did not exist in hepatocytes but was expressed exclusively in adipocytes as a dual modulator for ..
- Bell M, Wang H, Chen H, McLenithan J, Gong D, Yang R, et al. Consequences of lipid droplet coat protein downregulation in liver cells: abnormal lipid droplet metabolism and induction of insulin resistance. Diabetes. 2008;57:2037-45 pubmed publisher..We suggest that a deficiency of PAT proteins relative to the quantity of ectopic fat could contribute to cellular dysfunction in obesity and type 2 diabetes. ..
- Borg J, Klint C, Wierup N, Ström K, Larsson S, Sundler F, et al. Perilipin is present in islets of Langerhans and protects against lipotoxicity when overexpressed in the beta-cell line INS-1. Endocrinology. 2009;150:3049-57 pubmed publisher..Thus, overexpression of perilipin appears to confer protection against the development of beta-cell dysfunction after prolonged exposure to palmitate by promoting lipid storage and limiting lipolysis. ..
- FernÃ¡ndez Galilea M, Tapia P, Cautivo K, Morselli E, CortÃ©s V. AGPAT2 deficiency impairs adipogenic differentiation in primary cultured preadipocytes in a non-autophagy or apoptosis dependent mechanism. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2015;467:39-45 pubmed publisher..AGPAT2 is required for inÂ vitro adipogenesis of mouse preadipocytes. Autophagy defects or apoptosis are not involved in the adipogenic failure of Agpat2(-/-) preadipocytes. ..
- Straub B, Stoeffel P, Heid H, Zimbelmann R, Schirmacher P. Differential pattern of lipid droplet-associated proteins and de novo perilipin expression in hepatocyte steatogenesis. Hepatology. 2008;47:1936-46 pubmed publisher..Its association with LDs is different from TIP47 and adipophilin, and depends on size and localization of the LDs, suggesting that the different PAT proteins play specific roles during maturation of LDs. ..
- Ghoshal S, Tyagi R, Zhu Q, Chakraborty A. Inositol hexakisphosphate kinase-1 interacts with perilipin1 to modulate lipolysis. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2016;78:149-155 pubmed publisher..IP6K1 modulates lipolysis via its interaction with the lipolytic regulator protein perilipin1 (PLIN1). Furthermore, phosphorylation of IP6K1 at a PKC/PKA motif modulates its interaction with PLIN1 and lipolysis...
- Moore H, Silver R, Mottillo E, Bernlohr D, Granneman J. Perilipin targets a novel pool of lipid droplets for lipolytic attack by hormone-sensitive lipase. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:43109-20 pubmed..These results indicate that in white adipose tissue, lipolysis takes place in a specialized subcellular domain that is distinct from the major lipid storage site and is defined by perilipin. ..
- Langlois D, Forcheron F, Li J, Del Carmine P, Neggazi S, Beylot M. Increased atherosclerosis in mice deficient in perilipin1. Lipids Health Dis. 2011;10:169 pubmed publisherPerilipin1, a lipid droplet associated protein has an important role in the regulation of lipolysis and lipid storage in adipocytes...
- Wueest S, Yang X, Liu J, Schoenle E, Konrad D. Inverse regulation of basal lipolysis in perigonadal and mesenteric fat depots in mice. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2012;302:E153-60 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, lipolysis is differently regulated between perigonadal and mesenteric adipocytes, and these depot-specific differences might be explained by altered regulation of G0S2 and/or perilipin. ..
- Su C, Sztalryd C, Contreras J, Holm C, Kimmel A, Londos C. Mutational analysis of the hormone-sensitive lipase translocation reaction in adipocytes. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:43615-9 pubmed..Thus, HSL translocation requires the phosphorylation of both HSL and perilipin. ..
- Shen W, Patel S, Miyoshi H, Greenberg A, Kraemer F. Functional interaction of hormone-sensitive lipase and perilipin in lipolysis. J Lipid Res. 2009;50:2306-13 pubmed publisher..Perilipin (Plin) A is a major droplet-associated protein that functions as a scaffold, both suppressing basal and facilitating cAMP-..
- Zhang H, Pu W, Liu Q, He L, Huang X, Tian X, et al. Endocardium Contributes to Cardiac Fat. Circ Res. 2016;118:254-65 pubmed publisher..Our in vivo fate-mapping studies demonstrated that the developing endocardium, but not the vascular endothelial cells, gives rise to intramyocardial adipocytes in the adult heart. ..
- Lyu Y, Su X, Deng J, Liu S, Zou L, Zhao X, et al. Defective differentiation of adipose precursor cells from lipodystrophic mice lacking perilipin 1. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0117536 pubmed publisherb>Perilipin 1 (Plin1) localizes at the surface of lipid droplets to regulate triglyceride storage and hydrolysis in adipocytes. Plin1 defect leads to low adiposity in mice and partial lipodystrophy in human...
- Hong K, Bae H, Park I, Park D, Kim K, Kubota Y, et al. Perilipin+ embryonic preadipocytes actively proliferate along growing vasculatures for adipose expansion. Development. 2015;142:2623-32 pubmed publisher..To conclude, we unraveled the identity and characteristics of embryonic preadipocytes, which are crucial for the formation and expansion of adipose tissue during embryogenesis. ..
- Zhang H, Souza S, Muliro K, Kraemer F, Obin M, Greenberg A. Lipase-selective functional domains of perilipin A differentially regulate constitutive and protein kinase A-stimulated lipolysis. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:51535-42 pubmedPerilipin (Peri) A is a lipid droplet-associated phosphoprotein that acts dually as a suppressor of basal (constitutive) lipolysis and as an enhancer of cyclic AMP-dependent protein kinase (PKA)-stimulated lipolysis by both hormone-..
- Wend K, Wend P, Drew B, Hevener A, Miranda Carboni G, Krum S. ERÎ± regulates lipid metabolism in bone through ATGL and perilipin. J Cell Biochem. 2013;114:1306-14 pubmed publisher..Together these results demonstrate that E2 signals via ERÎ± to regulate lipid droplet size and total lipid accumulation in the bone marrow space in vivo. ..
- Souza S, Christoffolete M, Ribeiro M, Miyoshi H, Strissel K, Stancheva Z, et al. Perilipin regulates the thermogenic actions of norepinephrine in brown adipose tissue. J Lipid Res. 2007;48:1273-9 pubmed..form of perilipin, lacking all six PKA phosphorylation sites, is expressed in adipocytes of perilipin knockout (Peri KO) mice...
- Takahashi Y, Shinoda A, Furuya N, Harada E, Arimura N, Ichi I, et al. Perilipin-mediated lipid droplet formation in adipocytes promotes sterol regulatory element-binding protein-1 processing and triacylglyceride accumulation. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e64605 pubmed publisher..lipogenic gene expression, and peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor Î³ (PPARÎ³) enhances perilipin (plin) gene expression, resulting in generating lipid droplets (LDs) to store triacylglycerol (TAG) in adipocytes...
- Schulz T, Tseng Y. Brown adipose tissue: development, metabolism and beyond. Biochem J. 2013;453:167-78 pubmed publisher..In the present review, we integrate the recent advancements on the regulation of brown fat formation and activity by developmental and hormonal signals in relation to its metabolic function. ..
- Van De Pette M, Tunster S, McNamara G, Shelkovnikova T, Millership S, Benson L, et al. Cdkn1c Boosts the Development of Brown Adipose Tissue in a Murine Model of Silver Russell Syndrome. PLoS Genet. 2016;12:e1005916 pubmed publisher..Importantly, active BAT consumes high amounts of energy to generate body heat, providing a valid explanation for the persistence of thinness in our model and supporting a major role for elevated CDKN1C in SRS. ..
- Xu G, Sztalryd C, Londos C. Degradation of perilipin is mediated through ubiquitination-proteasome pathway. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2006;1761:83-90 pubmed..We conclude that the degradation of perilipin is mediated through an ubiquitination-proteasome pathway, which suggests another mode for the post-translational regulation of perilipin. ..
- Zhao X, Gao M, He J, Zou L, Lyu Y, Zhang L, et al. Perilipin1 deficiency in whole body or bone marrow-derived cells attenuates lesions in atherosclerosis-prone mice. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0123738 pubmed publisherThe objective of this study is to determine the role of perilipin 1 (Plin1) in whole body or bone marrow-derived cells on atherogenesis...
- LÃ³pez Yoldi M, FernÃ¡ndez Galilea M, Laiglesia L, Larequi E, Prieto J, MartÃnez J, et al. Cardiotrophin-1 stimulates lipolysis through the regulation of main adipose tissue lipases. J Lipid Res. 2014;55:2634-43 pubmed publisher..These results showed that the ability of CT-1 to regulate the activity of the main lipases underlies the lipolytic action of this cytokine in vitro and in vivo, and could contribute to CT-1 antiobesity effects. ..
- Garcia A, Subramanian V, Sekowski A, Bhattacharyya S, Love M, Brasaemle D. The amino and carboxyl termini of perilipin a facilitate the storage of triacylglycerols. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:8409-16 pubmedb>Perilipin A is the most abundant lipid droplet-associated protein in adipocytes and serves important functions in regulating triacylglycerol levels by reducing rates of basal lipolysis and facilitating hormonally stimulated lipolysis...
- Sanders M, Madoux F, Mladenovic L, Zhang H, Ye X, Angrish M, et al. Endogenous and Synthetic ABHD5 Ligands Regulate ABHD5-Perilipin Interactions and Lipolysis in Fat and Muscle. Cell Metab. 2015;22:851-60 pubmed publisher..lipase (ATGL), Î±-Î² hydrolase domain-containing protein 5 (ABHD5), and tissue-specific perilipins 1 and 5 (PLIN1 and PLIN5)...
- Mulumba M, Granata R, Marleau S, Ong H. QRFP-43 inhibits lipolysis by preventing ligand-induced complex formation between perilipin A, caveolin-1, the catalytic subunit of protein kinase and hormone-sensitive lipase in 3T3-L1 adipocytes. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2015;1851:657-66 pubmed publisher..Our results show that QRFP-43 reduced ISO-induced phosphorylation of perilipin A (PLIN) and hormone-sensitive lipase (HSL) on Ser660 by 43 and 25%, respectively, but increased Akt ..
- Patel S, Yang W, Kozusko K, Saudek V, Savage D. Perilipins 2 and 3 lack a carboxy-terminal domain present in perilipin 1 involved in sequestering ABHD5 and suppressing basal lipolysis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:9163-8 pubmed publisher..b>Perilipin 1, the most abundant lipid-coat protein in adipocytes, plays a key role in regulating lipolysis...
- Beylot M, Neggazi S, Hamlat N, Langlois D, Forcheron F. Perilipin 1 ablation in mice enhances lipid oxidation during exercise and does not impair exercise performance. Metabolism. 2012;61:415-23 pubmed publisherb>Perilipin 1 is involved in the control of adipose tissue triacylglycerol hydrolysis. Its ablation in mice decreases fat mass and induces a partial resistance to diet-induced and genetic obesity...
- Wang S, Soni K, Semache M, Casavant S, Fortier M, Pan L, et al. Lipolysis and the integrated physiology of lipid energy metabolism. Mol Genet Metab. 2008;95:117-26 pubmed publisher..Perilipin (PLIN) and possibly other proteins of the lipid droplet surface are master regulators of lipolysis, protecting or ..