Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Pknox1
Description: Pbx/knotted 1 homeobox
Alias: D17Wsu76e, PREP1, PBX/knotted homeobox 1, homeobox protein PKNOX1
- Homeodomain transcription factor and tumor suppressor Prep1 is required to maintain genomic stabilityGiorgio Iotti
IFOM Istituto Fondazione Italiana per la Ricerca sul Cancro di Oncologia Molecolare, 20139 Milan, Italy
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:E314-22. 2011b>Prep1 is a homeodomain transcription factor that is essential in embryonic development and functions in the adult as a tumor suppressor...
- p160 Myb-binding protein interacts with Prep1 and inhibits its transcriptional activityVictor M Diaz
Molecular Genetics Unit, Department of Molecular Biology and Functional Genomics, Università Vita Salute San Raffaele and DIBIT, H San Raffaele, Via Olgettina 58, 20132 Milan, Italy
Mol Cell Biol 27:7981-90. 2007b>Prep1 is known to interact in vivo with Pbx1 to regulate development and organogenesis. We have identified a novel Prep1-interacting protein, p160 c-Myb binding protein (p160)...
- Prep1 (pKnox1)-deficiency leads to spontaneous tumor development in mice and accelerates EmuMyc lymphomagenesis: a tumor suppressor role for Prep1E Longobardi
Universita Vita Salute San Raffaele, Via Olgettina 60, Milano 20132, Italy
Mol Oncol 4:126-34. 2010The Prep1 homeodomain transcription factor is essential for embryonic development. 25% of hypomorphic Prep1(i/i) embryos, expressing the gene at 2% of the normal levels, survive pregnancy and live a normal-length life...
- Two-step regulation of Ad4BP/SF-1 gene transcription during fetal adrenal development: initiation by a Hox-Pbx1-Prep1 complex and maintenance via autoregulation by Ad4BP/SF-1Mohamad Zubair
Division of Sex Differentiation, National Institute for Basic Biology, Myodaiji cho, Okazaki 444 8787, Japan
Mol Cell Biol 26:4111-21. 2006..Using transgenic mice with lacZ driven by the FAdE, we clearly identified a fetal adrenal cortex in mice, and the X zone is the fetal adrenal cells accumulated at the juxtamedullary region after birth...
- The absence of Prep1 causes p53-dependent apoptosis of mouse pluripotent epiblast cellsLuis C Fernandez-Diaz
IFOM, FIRC Institute of Molecular Oncology Foundation, IFOM IEO Campus, Via Adamello 16, Milan, Italy
Development 137:3393-403. 2010Disruption of mouse Prep1, which codes for a homeodomain transcription factor, leads to embryonic lethality during post-implantation stages...
- Requirement for Pbx1 in skeletal patterning and programming chondrocyte proliferation and differentiationL Selleri
Department of Pathology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Development 128:3543-57. 2001..This impacts on the rate of endochondral ossification and bone formation and suggests a mechanistic basis for most of the observed skeletal malformations...
- Meis1 and pKnox1 bind DNA cooperatively with Pbx1 utilizing an interaction surface disrupted in oncoprotein E2a-Pbx1P S Knoepfler
Department of Pathology, University of California at San Diego School of Medicine, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94:14553-8. 1997..Here, we demonstrate that both Meis1 and its relative, pKnox1, dimerize with Pbx1 on the same TGATTGAC motif selected by dimers of Pbx proteins and unidentified partner(s) in ..
- Prep1 directly regulates the intrinsic apoptotic pathway by controlling Bcl-XL levelsNicola Micali
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics, DIBIT, S Raffaele Scientific Institute, Via Olgettina 60, 20132 Milan, Italy
Mol Cell Biol 29:1143-51. 2009The Prep1 homeodomain transcription factor is essential in embryonic development. Prep1 hypomorphic mutant mouse (Prep1(i/i)) embryos (embryonic day 9...
- Expression of Hox cofactor genes during mouse ovarian follicular development and oocyte maturationJ Carlos Villaescusa
Department of Cell Biology and Functional Genomics, DIBIT, H San Raffaele, Universita Vita Salute San Raffaele, Via Olgettina 58, 20132 Milan, Italy
Gene 330:1-7. 2004....
- PKNOX1, a gene encoding PREP1, a new regulator of Pbx activity, maps on human chromosome 21q22.3 and murine chromosome 17B/CJ Berthelsen
Unit of Molecular Genetics, H S Raffaele, Milan, Italy
Genomics 47:323-4. 1998
- Hypomorphic mutation of the TALE gene Prep1 (pKnox1) causes a major reduction of Pbx and Meis proteins and a pleiotropic embryonic phenotypeElisabetta Ferretti
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics, DIBIT, Via Olgettina 58, 20132 Milano, Italy
Mol Cell Biol 26:5650-62. 2006The interaction of Prep1 and Pbx homeodomain transcription factors regulates their activity, nuclear localization, and likely, function in development...
- Trimeric association of Hox and TALE homeodomain proteins mediates Hoxb2 hindbrain enhancer activityY Jacobs
Department of Pathology, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Mol Cell Biol 19:5134-42. 1999..Pbx proteins also stably heterodimerize and bind DNA with Meis and Pknox1-Prep1, additional members of the TALE (three-amino-acid loop extension) superclass of homeodomain proteins that ..
- Involvement of Prep1 in the alphabeta T-cell receptor T-lymphocytic potential of hematopoietic precursorsDmitri Penkov
Molecular Genetics Unit, Universita Vita Salute San Raffaele, Milan, Italy
Mol Cell Biol 25:10768-81. 2005b>Prep1 is a homeodomain transcription factor that acts by dimerizing with Pbx. Since Prep1 null embryos die at gastrulation, we studied Prep1(i/i) hypomorphic mice to study the physiological role of Prep1...
- The homeodomain transcription factor Prep1 (pKnox1) is required for hematopoietic stem and progenitor cell activityPatrizia Di Rosa
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Via Olgettina 60, 20132 Milano, Italy
Dev Biol 311:324-34. 2007..Miccio, A., Micali, N., Selleri, L., Ferrari G., Blasi, F. (2006). Hypomorphic mutation of the TALE gene Prep1 (pKnox1) causes a major reduction of Pbx and Meis proteins and a pleiotropic embryonic phenotype. Mol. Cell. Biol...
- Prep1 deficiency induces protection from diabetes and increased insulin sensitivity through a p160-mediated mechanismFrancesco Oriente
Dipartimento di Biologia e Patologia Cellulare e Molecolare, Universita di Napoli Federico II, Via Sergio Pansini, 5, Naples 80131, Italy
Mol Cell Biol 28:5634-45. 2008We have examined glucose homeostasis in mice hypomorphic for the homeotic transcription factor gene Prep1. Prep1-hypomorphic (Prep1(i/i)) mice exhibit an absolute reduction in circulating insulin levels but normal glucose tolerance...
- Interleukin-10 expression in macrophages during phagocytosis of apoptotic cells is mediated by homeodomain proteins Pbx1 and Prep-1Elaine Y Chung
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY 10065, USA
Immunity 27:952-64. 2007..This study establishes a role of two developmentally critical factors (Pbx1 and Prep-1) in the regulation of homeostasis in the immune system...
- Reduction of Prep1 levels affects differentiation of normal and malignant B cells and accelerates Myc driven lymphomagenesisGiorgio Iotti
Laboratory of Transcriptional Regulation in Development and Cancer, Fondazione Istituto FIRC di Oncologia Molecolare, Milano, Italy
PLoS ONE 7:e48353. 2012The Prep1 homeodomain transcription factor has recently been recognized as a tumor suppressor. Among other features, haploinsufficiency of Prep1 is able to strongly accelerate the B-lymphomagenesis in EμMyc mice...
- Cohesin regulates tissue-specific expression by stabilizing highly occupied cis-regulatory modulesAndre J Faure
European Bioinformatics Institute, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Hinxton, Cambridge CB10 1SD, United Kingdom
Genome Res 22:2163-75. 2012..Finally, we observe that the presence of mirrored CTCF binding events at promoters and their nearby cohesin-bound enhancers is associated with elevated expression levels...
- Characterization of TALE genes expression during the first lineage segregation in mammalian embryosWendy Sonnet
Embryologie Moléculaire et Cellulaire Animale, Institut des Sciences de la Vie, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Louvain la Neuve, Belgium
Dev Dyn 241:1827-39. 2012..However, very little is known about the expression and function of Meis, Pbx, and Prep genes during early development...
- C-terminal domain of MEIS1 converts PKNOX1 (PREP1) into a HOXA9-collaborating oncoproteinRichard Bisaillon
University of Montreal, Montreal, QC, Canada
Blood 118:4682-9. 2011The three-amino-acid loop extension (TALE) class homeodomain proteins MEIS1 and PKNOX1 (PREP1) share the ability to interact with PBX and HOX family members and bind similar DNA sequences but appear to play opposing roles in tumor ..
- The functional role of the Meis/Prep-binding elements in Pax6 locus during pancreas and eye developmentChristian Carbe
Department of Medical and Molecular Genetics, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Dev Biol 363:320-9. 2012..Finally, we generated conditional knockouts of Prep1 in the lens and pancreas, but surprisingly, did not observe any developmental defects...
- The atypical homeoprotein Pbx1a participates in the axonal pathfinding of mesencephalic dopaminergic neuronsPaola Sgadò
Laboratory of Molecular Neuropathology, Centre for Integrative Biology, University of Trento, Trento, Italy
Neural Dev 7:24. 2012....
- Precise temporal control of the eye regulatory gene Pax6 via enhancer-binding site affinitySheldon Rowan
Division of Genetics, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Genes Dev 24:980-5. 2010..Pax6 is a dosage-sensitive gene essential for eye development. Here, we identify the Prep1 (pKnox1) transcription factor as a critical dose-dependent upstream regulator of Pax6 expression during lens formation...
- A conserved Pbx-Wnt-p63-Irf6 regulatory module controls face morphogenesis by promoting epithelial apoptosisElisabetta Ferretti
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY 10065, USA
Dev Cell 21:627-41. 2011..Dysregulation of this network leads to localized suppression of midfacial apoptosis and CL/P. Ectopic Wnt ectodermal expression in Pbx mutants rescues the clefting, opening avenues for tissue repair...
- Down syndrome fibroblasts and mouse Prep1-overexpressing cells display increased sensitivity to genotoxic stressNicola Micali
Laboratory of Molecular Dynamics of the Nucleus, Division of Genetics and Cell Biology, S Raffaele Scientific Institute, Via Olgettina 60, Milan, Italy
Nucleic Acids Res 38:3595-604. 2010PREP1 (PKNOX1) maps in the Down syndrome (DS) critical region of chromosome 21, is overexpressed in some DS tissues and might be involved in the DS phenotype...
- Cytoplasmic Prep1 interacts with 4EHP inhibiting Hoxb4 translationJ Carlos Villaescusa
IFOM, FIRC Institute of Molecular Oncology, Milano, Italy
PLoS ONE 4:e5213. 2009..They are regulated mostly at the transcriptional level. In particular, Prep1 regulates Hox transcription in association with Pbx proteins...
- Prep1 controls insulin glucoregulatory function in liver by transcriptional targeting of SHP1 tyrosine phosphataseFrancesco Oriente
Dipartimento di Biologia e Patologia Cellulare e Molecolare, Istituto di Endocrinologia ed Oncologia Sperimentale del Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Universita degli Studi di Napoli Federico II, Naples, Italy
Diabetes 60:138-47. 2011We investigated the function of the Prep1 gene in insulin-dependent glucose homeostasis in liver.
- Rostral hindbrain patterning involves the direct activation of a Krox20 transcriptional enhancer by Hox/Pbx and Meis factorsMichel A Wassef
INSERM, U784, Laboratoire de Génétique Moléculaire du Développement and 46 rue d Ulm, 75230 Paris, France
Development 135:3369-78. 2008..We propose a model for the complex regulation of Krox20, involving a novel mode of initiation, positive and negative controls by Hox proteins, and multiple direct and indirect autoregulatory loops...
- Meis homeoproteins directly regulate Pax6 during vertebrate lens morphogenesisXin Zhang
Division of Genetics, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Genes Dev 16:2097-107. 2002..Therefore, despite the striking evolutionary conservation of Pax6 function, Pax6 expression in the vertebrate lens is uniquely regulated...
- Prep2: cloning and expression of a new prep family memberKlaus Haller
McGill Cancer Centre, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Dev Dyn 225:358-64. 2002We describe Prep2, a new murine homeobox-containing gene closely related to Prep1. The PREP2 protein belongs to the three amino acid loop extension (TALE) superclass of homeodomain-containing proteins and encodes a polypeptide of 462 ..
- Identification of homeodomain proteins, PBX1 and PREP1, involved in the transcription of murine leukemia virusSheng Hao Chao
Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation, San Diego, California 92121, USA
Mol Cell Biol 23:831-41. 2003..in the PCE completely inhibited viral transcription whereas overexpression of PBX1 and a PBX1-associated protein, PREP1, enhanced viral transcription...
- Activin regulation of the follicle-stimulating hormone beta-subunit gene involves Smads and the TALE homeodomain proteins Pbx1 and Prep1Janice S Bailey
Department of Reproductive Medicine, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, California 92093 0674, USA
Mol Endocrinol 18:1158-70. 2004..the protein complex binding to the -134 site contains Smad4 in association with the homeodomain proteins Pbx1 and Prep1. Using glutathione S-transferase interaction assays, we demonstrate that Pbx1 and Prep1 interact with Smads 2 and ..
- Evolutionary breakpoints on human chromosome 21M T Davisson
The Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, Maine 04609, USA
Genomics 78:99-106. 2001..These data suggest that there may be as few as 21 functional genes in the mouse chromosome 17 segment. This information is important for defining existing and constructing more complete mouse models of Down syndrome...
- Activation of the rat renin promoter by HOXD10.PBX1b.PREP1, Ets-1, and the intracellular domain of notchLi Pan
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, New York 14263 0001, USA
J Biol Chem 280:20860-6. 2005..Finally, we show that the intracellular domain of Notch1, Ets-1, and HOXD10.PBX1b.PREP1 activate the rat renin promoter cooperatively in COS-7 cells...
- Pax6 is regulated by Meis and Pbx homeoproteins during pancreatic developmentXin Zhang
Department of Medical and Molecular Genetics, Indiana University School of Medicine, 975 W Walnut St, IB244, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Dev Biol 300:748-57. 2006..As Meis homeoproteins have been previously demonstrated to regulate Pax6 expression during lens development, these results suggest a conserved mechanism of Pax6 regulation by Meis homeoproteins in two different organs...
- Purification of the Prep1 interactome identifies novel pathways regulated by Prep1Victor M Diaz
Molecular Genetics Unit, Department of Molecular Biology and Functional Genomics, Università Vita Salute San Raffaele and DIBIT, H San Raffaele, Milan, Italy
Proteomics 7:2617-23. 2007b>Prep1 homeodomain transcription factor interacts with Pbx proteins to regulate oculogenesis, angiogenesis, and hematopoiesis in mice...
- In vivo analysis of developmentally and evolutionarily dynamic protein-DNA interactions regulating transcription of the Pgk2 gene during mammalian spermatogenesisHirotaka Yoshioka
Department of Biology, University of Texas at San Antonio, San Antonio, Texas 78249, USA
Mol Cell Biol 27:7871-85. 2007..We found that genes encoding the testis-specific homeodomain factor PBX4 and its coactivator, PREP1, are expressed in patterns that mirror expression of the Pgk2 gene and that these factors become bound to the Pgk2 ..
- Regulation of EphA8 gene expression by TALE homeobox transcription factors during development of the mesencephalonSungbo Shim
Department of Biological Science, Sookmyung Women s University, Chungpa dong 2 Ka, Yongsan Ku, Seoul 140 742, South Korea
Mol Cell Biol 27:1614-30. 2007..These studies strongly suggest that Meis and Pbx homeobox transcription factors tightly associate with the ephA8 regulatory sequence and require an additional unidentified regulator to ensure the specific activation of ephA8...
- An ultraconserved Hox-Pbx responsive element resides in the coding sequence of Hoxa2 and is active in rhombomere 4Xavier Lampe
Unit of Developmental Genetics, Universite Catholique de Louvain, 1200 Brussels, Belgium, Institut de Genetique et de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, UMR 7104 CNRS Inserm ULP, College de France, BP 10142 CU de Strasbourg, 67404 Illkirch Cedex, France
Nucleic Acids Res 36:3214-25. 2008..In this respect, our data further support the idea that extreme conservation of UCE sequences may be the result of multiple superposed functional and evolutionary constraints...
- Cytosolic sequestration of Prep1 influences early stages of T cell developmentDmitry Penkov
Molecular Genetics Unit, San Raffaele Scientific Institute and Universita Vita Salute San Raffaele, Milan, Italy
PLoS ONE 3:e2424. 2008b>Prep1 and Pbx2 are the main homeodomain DNA-binding proteins of the TALE (three amino acid loop extension) family expressed in the thymus...
- Pbx1/Pbx2 govern axial skeletal development by controlling Polycomb and Hox in mesoderm and Pax1/Pax9 in sclerotomeTerence D Capellini
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 1300 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
Dev Biol 321:500-14. 2008....
- The PBX-regulating protein PREP1 is present in different PBX-complexed forms in mouseE Ferretti
Molecular Genetics Unit, Department of Biology and Biotechnology DIBIT, H S San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Via Olgettina 58, 20132, Milan, Italy
Mech Dev 83:53-64. 1999Human PREP1, a novel homeodomain protein of the TALE super-family, forms a stable DNA-binding complex with PBX proteins in solution, a ternary complex with PBX and HOXB1 on DNA, and is able to act as a co-activator in the transcription ..