Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Piwil4
Description: piwi-like RNA-mediated gene silencing 4
Alias: 9230101H05Rik, Miwi2, piwi-like protein 4, mAgo5, piwi-like 4, piwi-like homolog 4
- Nolde M, Cheng E, Guo S, Lin H. Piwi genes are dispensable for normal hematopoiesis in mice. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e71950 pubmed publisher..Here, we report that one of the three piwi genes in mice, Miwi2 (Piwil4), is expressed in primitive hematopoetic cell types within the bone marrow...
- Xiol J, Cora E, Koglgruber R, Chuma S, Subramanian S, Hosokawa M, et al. A role for Fkbp6 and the chaperone machinery in piRNA amplification and transposon silencing. Mol Cell. 2012;47:970-9 pubmed publisher..Here, we identified mouse Fkbp6 as a factor in this biogenesis pathway delivering piRNAs to the Piwi protein Miwi2. Mice lacking Fkbp6 derepress LINE1 (L1) retrotransposon and display reduced DNA methylation due to deficient ..
- De Fazio S, Bartonicek N, Di Giacomo M, Abreu Goodger C, Sankar A, Funaya C, et al. The endonuclease activity of Mili fuels piRNA amplification that silences LINE1 elements. Nature. 2011;480:259-63 pubmed publisher..The murine Piwi proteins Mili and Miwi2 (also called Piwil2 and Piwil4, respectively) direct epigenetic LINE1 and intracisternal A particle transposon silencing during genome ..
- Watanabe T, Tomizawa S, Mitsuya K, Totoki Y, Yamamoto Y, Kuramochi Miyagawa S, et al. Role for piRNAs and noncoding RNA in de novo DNA methylation of the imprinted mouse Rasgrf1 locus. Science. 2011;332:848-52 pubmed publisher..A direct repeat in the DMR, which is required for the methylation and imprinting of Rasgrf1, served as a promoter for this RNA. We propose a model in which piRNAs and a target RNA direct the sequence-specific methylation of Rasgrf1. ..
- Kuramochi Miyagawa S, Watanabe T, Gotoh K, Takamatsu K, Chuma S, Kojima Kita K, et al. MVH in piRNA processing and gene silencing of retrotransposons. Genes Dev. 2010;24:887-92 pubmed publisher..The mouse PIWI family proteins MILI and MIWI2 are involved in production of Piwi-interacting RNAs (piRNAs) in fetal male germ cells through a ping-pong ..
- Vagin V, Wohlschlegel J, Qu J, Jonsson Z, Huang X, Chuma S, et al. Proteomic analysis of murine Piwi proteins reveals a role for arginine methylation in specifying interaction with Tudor family members. Genes Dev. 2009;23:1749-62 pubmed publisher..We purified the three murine Piwi family proteins, MILI, MIWI, and MIWI2, from mouse germ cells and characterized their interacting protein partners...
- Aravin A, Sachidanandam R, Bourc his D, Schaefer C, Pezic D, Toth K, et al. A piRNA pathway primed by individual transposons is linked to de novo DNA methylation in mice. Mol Cell. 2008;31:785-99 pubmed publisher..We find robust expression of two Piwi family proteins, MIWI2 and MILI...
- Kuramochi Miyagawa S, Watanabe T, Gotoh K, Totoki Y, Toyoda A, Ikawa M, et al. DNA methylation of retrotransposon genes is regulated by Piwi family members MILI and MIWI2 in murine fetal testes. Genes Dev. 2008;22:908-17 pubmed publisher..The loss of MILI (miwi-like) and MIWI2 (mouse piwi 2), two mouse homologs of Drosophila Piwi, activates retrotransposon gene expression by impairing DNA ..
- Wenda J, Homolka D, Yang Z, Spinelli P, Sachidanandam R, Pandey R, et al. Distinct Roles of RNA Helicases MVH and TDRD9 in PIWI Slicing-Triggered Mammalian piRNA Biogenesis and Function. Dev Cell. 2017;41:623-637.e9 pubmed publisher..links cytoplasmic slicing of target RNA by the PIWI protein MILI to loading of target-derived piRNAs into nuclear MIWI2. Here we demonstrate that MILI slicing generates a 16-nt by-product that is discarded and a pre-piRNA intermediate ..
- Costa Y, Speed R, Gautier P, Semple C, Maratou K, Turner J, et al. Mouse MAELSTROM: the link between meiotic silencing of unsynapsed chromatin and microRNA pathway?. Hum Mol Genet. 2006;15:2324-34 pubmed..The presence of MAEL in these critical compartments of male germ cells and its interactions provide a link suggesting the involvement of the miRNA pathway in MSUC...
- Carrieri C, Comazzetto S, Grover A, Morgan M, Buness A, Nerlov C, et al. A transit-amplifying population underpins the efficient regenerative capacity of the testis. J Exp Med. 2017;214:1631-1641 pubmed publisher..Through the analysis of the piRNA factor Miwi2 (Piwil4), we identify a novel population of Ngn3-expressing spermatogonia that are essential for efficient testicular ..
- Fu Q, Pandey R, Leu N, Pillai R, Wang P. Mutations in the MOV10L1 ATP Hydrolysis Motif Cause piRNA Biogenesis Failure and Male Sterility in Mice. Biol Reprod. 2016;95:103 pubmed..The Mov10l1 mutant mice exhibit meiotic arrest and male sterility. Our results show that mutation of the MOV10L1 ATP hydrolysis site perturbs piRNA biogenesis. ..
- Pastor W, Stroud H, Nee K, Liu W, Pezic D, Manakov S, et al. MORC1 represses transposable elements in the mouse male germline. Nat Commun. 2014;5:5795 pubmed publisher..Our results identify MORC1 as an important new regulator of the epigenetic landscape of male germ cells during the period of global de novo methylation. ..
- Cheng E, Kang D, Wang Z, Lin H. PIWI proteins are dispensable for mouse somatic development and reprogramming of fibroblasts into pluripotent stem cells. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e97821 pubmed publisher..We find that all three mouse Piwi genes, Miwi, Mili, and Miwi2, are expressed in embryonic stem cells (ESCs) at higher levels than in fibroblasts, with Mili being the highest...
- Wang Q, Hao J, Pu J, Zhao L, Lu Z, Hu J, et al. Icariin induces apoptosis in mouse MLTC-10 Leydig tumor cells through activation of the mitochondrial pathway and down-regulation of the expression of piwil4. Int J Oncol. 2011;39:973-80 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the pro-apoptotic effect of icariin on MLTC-1 cells is related to piwil4, since icariin induced a decrease in piwil4 protein expression and piwil4 silencing significantly enhanced the ..
- Suzuki A, Niimi Y, Saga Y. Interaction of NANOS2 and NANOS3 with different components of the CNOT complex may contribute to the functional differences in mouse male germ cells. Biol Open. 2014;3:1207-16 pubmed publisher..This alternate interaction might account for the molecular basis of the functional redundancy and differences in NANOS2 and NANOS3 functions. ..
- Bao J, Zhang Y, Schuster A, Ortogero N, Nilsson E, Skinner M, et al. Conditional inactivation of Miwi2 reveals that MIWI2 is only essential for prospermatogonial development in mice. Cell Death Differ. 2014;21:783-96 pubmed publisher..MIWI2/PIWIL4, a member of the murine PIWI subclade of the Argonaute family, has been shown to be expressed in primordial germ ..
- Vourekas A, Zheng K, Fu Q, Maragkakis M, Alexiou P, Ma J, et al. The RNA helicase MOV10L1 binds piRNA precursors to initiate piRNA processing. Genes Dev. 2015;29:617-29 pubmed publisher..Our results support a model in which MOV10L1 RNA helicase activity promotes unwinding and funneling of the single-stranded piRNA precursor transcripts to the endonuclease that catalyzes the first cleavage step of piRNA processing. ..
- Zamudio N, Barau J, Teissandier A, Walter M, Borsos M, Servant N, et al. DNA methylation restrains transposons from adopting a chromatin signature permissive for meiotic recombination. Genes Dev. 2015;29:1256-70 pubmed publisher..Using two DNA methylation-deficient backgrounds, the Dnmt3L and Miwi2 mutant mice, we reveal that DNA methylation is largely dispensable for silencing transposons before meiosis onset...
- Manakov S, Pezic D, Marinov G, Pastor W, Sachidanandam R, Aravin A. MIWI2 and MILI Have Differential Effects on piRNA Biogenesis and DNA Methylation. Cell Rep. 2015;12:1234-43 pubmed publisherIn developing male germ cells, prospermatogonia, two Piwi proteins, MILI and MIWI2, use Piwi-interacting RNA (piRNA) guides to repress transposable element (TE) expression and ensure genome stability and proper gametogenesis...
- Yang Z, Chen K, Pandey R, Homolka D, Reuter M, Janeiro B, et al. PIWI Slicing and EXD1 Drive Biogenesis of Nuclear piRNAs from Cytosolic Targets of the Mouse piRNA Pathway. Mol Cell. 2016;61:138-52 pubmed publisher..These fragments accumulate as new piRNAs within both cytosolic MILI and the nuclear MIWI2. We also identify Exonuclease domain-containing 1 (EXD1) as a partner of the MIWI2 piRNA biogenesis factor TDRD12...
- Kojima Kita K, Kuramochi Miyagawa S, Nagamori I, Ogonuki N, Ogura A, Hasuwa H, et al. MIWI2 as an Effector of DNA Methylation and Gene Silencing in Embryonic Male Germ Cells. Cell Rep. 2016;16:2819-2828 pubmed publisher..In mouse embryonic germ cells, two PIWI family proteins, MILI and MIWI2, are essential for the de novo DNA methylation of retrotransposons, presumably through PIWI-interacting RNAs (..
- Jacobs J, Wagner M, Dhahbi J, Boffelli D, Martin D. Deficiency of MIWI2 (Piwil4) induces mouse erythroleukemia cell differentiation, but has no effect on hematopoiesis in vivo. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e82573 pubmed publisher..b>MIWI2, one of the mouse Piwi-like proteins, is expressed in the prepachytene phase of spermatogenesis during the period ..
- Kabayama Y, Toh H, Katanaya A, Sakurai T, Chuma S, Kuramochi Miyagawa S, et al. Roles of MIWI, MILI and PLD6 in small RNA regulation in mouse growing oocytes. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017;45:5387-5398 pubmed publisher..Our study revealed the differences in the biogenesis and function of the piRNA pathway between sexes. ..
- Saba R, Kato Y, Saga Y. NANOS2 promotes male germ cell development independent of meiosis suppression. Dev Biol. 2014;385:32-40 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that NANOS2 is not merely a suppressor of meiosis, but instead plays pivotal roles in the sexual differentiation of male germ cells. ..
- Wasserman G, Szymaniak A, Hinds A, Yamamoto K, Kamata H, Smith N, et al. Expression of Piwi protein MIWI2 defines a distinct population of multiciliated cells. J Clin Invest. 2017;127:3866-3876 pubmed publisher..Contrary to germline-restricted expression, we observed that Piwi-like Miwi2 mRNA is indeed expressed in epithelial cells of the lung in adult mice and that it is induced during pneumonia...
- Kato Y, Katsuki T, Kokubo H, Masuda A, Saga Y. Dazl is a target RNA suppressed by mammalian NANOS2 in sexually differentiating male germ cells. Nat Commun. 2016;7:11272 pubmed publisher..We propose a dual system of NANOS2-mediated suppression of Dazl expression as a pivotal molecular mechanism promoting sexual differentiation of XY germ cells. ..