Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Pfn1
Description: profilin 1
Alias: Pfn, profilin-1, actin binding protein, profilin I
- Gertler F, Niebuhr K, Reinhard M, Wehland J, Soriano P. Mena, a relative of VASP and Drosophila Enabled, is implicated in the control of microfilament dynamics. Cell. 1996;87:227-39 pubmed..The association of Mena with the surface of the intracellular pathogen Listeria monocytogenes and the G-actin binding protein profilin suggests that this molecule may participate in bacterial movement by facilitating actin ..
- Kullmann J, Neumeyer A, Wickertsheim I, Böttcher R, Costell M, Deitmer J, et al. Purkinje cell loss and motor coordination defects in profilin1 mutant mice. Neuroscience. 2012;223:355-64 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show normal functionality of PF-PC synapses in the absence of profilin1. In summary, we conclude that profilin1 is crucially important for brain development, but dispensable for the physiology of excitatory synapses. ..
- Romeo G, Moulton K, Kazlauskas A. Attenuated expression of profilin-1 confers protection from atherosclerosis in the LDL receptor null mouse. Circ Res. 2007;101:357-67 pubmed..We showed in previous studies that the actin-binding protein profilin-1 (pfn) was upregulated in atherosclerotic plaques and in endothelial cells (ECs) treated with oxidized low-density ..
- Laochumroonvorapong P, Wang J, Liu C, Ye W, Moreira A, Elkon K, et al. Perforin, a cytotoxic molecule which mediates cell necrosis, is not required for the early control of mycobacterial infection in mice. Infect Immun. 1997;65:127-32 pubmed..Our results indicate that both perforin-mediated cytotoxicity and Fas-mediated cytotoxicity do not appear to be necessary for the early control of mycobacterial infection in vivo. ..
- Murphy G, Solski P, Jillian S, Perez de la Ossa P, D EUSTACHIO P, Der C, et al. Cellular functions of TC10, a Rho family GTPase: regulation of morphology, signal transduction and cell growth. Oncogene. 1999;18:3831-45 pubmed
- Kullmann J, Wickertsheim I, Minnerup L, Costell M, Friauf E, Rust M. Profilin1 activity in cerebellar granule neurons is required for radial migration in vivo. Cell Adh Migr. 2015;9:247-53 pubmed publisher..Moreover, 5-bromo-2'-deoxyuridine tracing experiments revealed impaired CGN radial migration. Hence, our data demonstrate the cell autonomous role of profilin1 activity in CGN for radial migration. ..
- Fan Y, Potdar A, Gong Y, Eswarappa S, Donnola S, Lathia J, et al. Profilin-1 phosphorylation directs angiocrine expression and glioblastoma progression through HIF-1? accumulation. Nat Cell Biol. 2014;16:445-56 pubmed publisher..Phosphorylation of profilin-1 (Pfn-1) at Tyr 129 in ECs induces binding to the tumour suppressor protein von Hippel-Lindau (VHL), and prevents VHL-..
- Kwiatkowski D, Bruns G. Human profilin. Molecular cloning, sequence comparison, and chromosomal analysis. J Biol Chem. 1988;263:5910-5 pubmed..In addition, 5' and 3' untranslated regions are conserved between humans and rodents, implying a functional role for these regions of the profilin gene. ..
- Verlaet M, Deregowski V, Denis G, Humblet C, Stalmans M, Bours V, et al. Genetic imbalances in preleukemic thymuses. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2001;283:12-8 pubmed..The data suggest that additional studies on p40/37LBP and 67-kDa laminin receptor regulation are required to evaluate their potential role in the lymphoma prevention by TNF-alpha and IFN-gamma. ..
- Montani L, Buerki Thurnherr T, de Faria J, Pereira J, Dias N, Fernandes R, et al. Profilin 1 is required for peripheral nervous system myelination. Development. 2014;141:1553-61 pubmed publisher..controlled cytoskeletal remodeling, and we show that SC lamellipodia formation depends on the function of profilin 1 (Pfn1), an actin-binding protein involved in microfilament polymerization...
- Wittenmayer N, Jandrig B, Rothkegel M, Schlüter K, Arnold W, Haensch W, et al. Tumor suppressor activity of profilin requires a functional actin binding site. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:1600-8 pubmedb>Profilin 1 (PFN1) is a regulator of the microfilament system and is involved in various signaling pathways. It interacts with many cytoplasmic and nuclear ligands...
- Johnsson A, Karlsson R. Microtubule-dependent localization of profilin I mRNA to actin polymerization sites in serum-stimulated cells. Eur J Cell Biol. 2010;89:394-401 pubmed publisher..Here we provide evidence for a microtubule-dependent localization of mRNA encoding the actin regulatory protein profilin to sites in mouse embryonic fibroblasts, which express enhanced actin polymerization. ..
- Bender M, Stritt S, Nurden P, van Eeuwijk J, Zieger B, Kentouche K, et al. Megakaryocyte-specific Profilin1-deficiency alters microtubule stability and causes a Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome-like platelet defect. Nat Commun. 2014;5:4746 pubmed publisher..The molecular link between WAS mutations and microthrombocytopenia is unknown. Profilin1 (Pfn1) is a key actin-regulating protein that, besides actin, interacts with phosphoinositides and multiple proline-rich ..
- Kardos R, Nevalainen E, Nyitrai M, Hild G. The effect of ADF/cofilin and profilin on the dynamics of monomeric actin. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013;1834:2010-9 pubmed publisher..The structural arrangement of the nucleotide binding cleft mainly influences the global stability of actin while the dynamics of the different segments can change autonomously. ..
- Giesemann T, Schwarz G, Nawrotzki R, Berhörster K, Rothkegel M, Schlüter K, et al. Complex formation between the postsynaptic scaffolding protein gephyrin, profilin, and Mena: a possible link to the microfilament system. J Neurosci. 2003;23:8330-9 pubmed..Here, we show that neuronal gephyrin interacts directly with key regulators of microfilament dynamics, profilin I and neuronal profilin IIa, and with microfilament adaptors of the mammalian enabled (Mena)/vasodilator ..
- Gurniak C, Witke W. HuGE, a novel GFP-actin-expressing mouse line for studying cytoskeletal dynamics. Eur J Cell Biol. 2007;86:3-12 pubmed..in the mouse we have generated a GFP-actin-expressing line (huGE) by knock-in of the GFP-actin gene into the profilin 1 locus...
- Kooij V, Viswanathan M, Lee D, Rainer P, Schmidt W, Kronert W, et al. Profilin modulates sarcomeric organization and mediates cardiomyocyte hypertrophy. Cardiovasc Res. 2016;110:238-48 pubmed publisher..We show that overexpression of profilin is sufficient to induce cardiomyocyte hypertrophy and sarcomeric remodelling, and silencing of profilin attenuates the hypertrophic response. ..
- Watters J, Dietrich W. Genetic, physical, and transcript map of the Ltxs1 region of mouse chromosome 11. Genomics. 2001;73:223-31 pubmed..Additionally, a region of 100 kb or more is deleted in the Ltxs1 interval of some strains. Our genetic, physical, and transcript map provides an important resource for the molecular cloning of Ltxs1. ..
- Dong J, Ying G, Zhou C. Entorhinal deafferentation induces the expression of profilin mRNA in the reactive microglial cells in the hippocampus. Glia. 2004;47:102-8 pubmed
- Koblansky A, Jankovic D, Oh H, Hieny S, Sungnak W, Mathur R, et al. Recognition of profilin by Toll-like receptor 12 is critical for host resistance to Toxoplasma gondii. Immunity. 2013;38:119-30 pubmed publisher..Thus, TLR12 is critical for the innate immune response to T. gondii, and this TLR may promote host resistance by triggering pDC and NK cell function. ..
- Kanaujiya J, Lochab S, Kapoor I, Pal P, Datta D, Bhatt M, et al. Proteomic identification of Profilin1 as a corepressor of estrogen receptor alpha in MCF7 breast cancer cells. Proteomics. 2013;13:2100-12 pubmed publisher..In nutshell, these data indicate that MS-based proteomics approach identifies a novel ER? interacting protein Profilin1 that serves as a putative corepressor of ER? functions. ..
- Zhang Y, Wang F, Niu Y, Liu H, Rui R, Cui X, et al. Formin mDia1, a downstream molecule of FMNL1, regulates Profilin1 for actin assembly and spindle organization during mouse oocyte meiosis. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2015;1853:317-27 pubmed publisher..Thus, these results demonstrated indispensable roles for mDia1 in regulating mouse oocyte meiotic maturation through its effects on actin assembly and spindle organization. ..
- Jiang Z, Shih D, Xia Y, Lusis A, de Beer F, de Villiers W, et al. Structure, organization, and chromosomal mapping of the gene encoding macrosialin, a macrophage-restricted protein. Genomics. 1998;50:199-205 pubmed..Although the function of macrosialin is unknown, it might play a role in lipoprotein regulation given its binding of oxidized LDL in vitro and its colocalization to a region on chromosome 11 involved in the control of HDL levels. ..
- Lanier L, Gates M, Witke W, Menzies A, Wehman A, Macklis J, et al. Mena is required for neurulation and commissure formation. Neuron. 1999;22:313-25 pubmed..Mena-deficient mice that are heterozygous for a Profilin I deletion die in utero and display defects in neurulation, demonstrating an important functional role for Mena in ..
- Wang X, Kibschull M, Laue M, Lichte B, Petrasch Parwez E, Kilimann M. Aczonin, a 550-kD putative scaffolding protein of presynaptic active zones, shares homology regions with Rim and Bassoon and binds profilin. J Cell Biol. 1999;147:151-62 pubmed..We propose that aczonin is a scaffolding protein involved in the organization of the molecular architecture of synaptic active zones and in the orchestration of neurotransmitter vesicle trafficking. ..
- Wang R, Cleary R, Wang T, Li J, Tang D. The association of cortactin with profilin-1 is critical for smooth muscle contraction. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:14157-69 pubmed publisherProfilin-1 (Pfn-1) is an actin-regulatory protein that has a role in modulating smooth muscle contraction. However, the mechanisms that regulate Pfn-1 in smooth muscle are not fully understood...
- Gurniak C, Chevessier F, Jokwitz M, Jönsson F, Perlas E, Richter H, et al. Severe protein aggregate myopathy in a knockout mouse model points to an essential role of cofilin2 in sarcomeric actin exchange and muscle maintenance. Eur J Cell Biol. 2014;93:252-66 pubmed publisher..Levels of smooth muscle ?-actin were increased and remained high in developing muscles, suggesting that cofilin2 plays a crucial role during the exchange of ?-actin isoforms during the early postnatal remodeling of the sarcomere. ..
- Lin W, Izu Y, Smriti A, Kawasaki M, Pawaputanon C, Böttcher R, et al. Profilin1 is expressed in osteocytes and regulates cell shape and migration. J Cell Physiol. 2018;233:259-268 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that profilin1 is expressed in osteocytes and regulates cell shape, migration and bone mass. ..
- Romeo G, Pae M, Eberle D, Lee J, Shoelson S. Profilin-1 haploinsufficiency protects against obesity-associated glucose intolerance and preserves adipose tissue immune homeostasis. Diabetes. 2013;62:3718-26 pubmed publisher..Previously, we showed that the actin-binding protein profilin-1 (pfn) plays a role in atherogenesis because pfn heterozygote mice (PfnHet) exhibited a significant reduction in ..
- Lederer M, Jockusch B, Rothkegel M. Profilin regulates the activity of p42POP, a novel Myb-related transcription factor. J Cell Sci. 2005;118:331-41 pubmed..In luciferase assays, p42POP acts as repressor and this activity is substantially reduced by profilins, indicating that profilin can regulate p42POP activity and is therefore involved in gene regulation. ..
- Kwiatkowski D, Aklog L, Ledbetter D, Morton C. Identification of the functional profilin gene, its localization to chromosome subband 17p13.3, and demonstration of its deletion in some patients with Miller-Dieker syndrome. Am J Hum Genet. 1990;46:559-67 pubmed..Thus, single allelic deletion of the profilin locus may contribute to the clinical phenotype of the MDS in some patients but does not play a major role in the essential phenotype. ..
- Miyajima D, Hayata T, Suzuki T, Hemmi H, Nakamoto T, Notomi T, et al. Profilin1 regulates sternum development and endochondral bone formation. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:33545-53 pubmed..Among them, profilin1 (Pfn1) is a key player to control actin fiber structure, and it is involved in a number of cellular activities such as ..
- Witke W, Sharpe A, Hartwig J, Azuma T, Stossel T, Kwiatkowski D. Hemostatic, inflammatory, and fibroblast responses are blunted in mice lacking gelsolin. Cell. 1995;81:41-51 pubmed
- Miyagi Y, Yamashita T, Fukaya M, Sonoda T, Okuno T, Yamada K, et al. Delphilin: a novel PDZ and formin homology domain-containing protein that synaptically colocalizes and interacts with glutamate receptor delta 2 subunit. J Neurosci. 2002;22:803-14 pubmed..Thus, Delphilin is a postsynaptic scaffolding protein at the parallel fiber-Purkinje cell synapse, where it may serve to link GluRdelta2 with actin cytoskeleton and various signaling molecules. ..
- Gareus R, Di Nardo A, Rybin V, Witke W. Mouse profilin 2 regulates endocytosis and competes with SH3 ligand binding to dynamin 1. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:2803-11 pubmed
- Lin W, Ezura Y, Izu Y, Aryal S, Kawasaki M, Chantida P, et al. Profilin Expression Is Regulated by Bone Morphogenetic Protein (BMP) in Osteoblastic Cells. J Cell Biochem. 2016;117:621-8 pubmed publisherb>Profilin 1 (Pfn1) regulates cytoskeletal reorganization and migration, but its role in osteoblasts is not known...
- Zheng J, Lu Z, Kocabas F, Böttcher R, Costell M, Kang X, et al. Profilin 1 is essential for retention and metabolism of mouse hematopoietic stem cells in bone marrow. Blood. 2014;123:992-1001 pubmed publisher..Here we demonstrated that the deletion of the cytoskeleton-modulating protein profilin 1 (pfn1) in hematopoietic stem cell (HSCs) led to bone marrow failure, loss of quiescence, and mobilization and ..
- Gogstad G, Hagen I, Korsmo R, Solum N. Characterization of the proteins of isolated human platelet alpha-granules. Evidence for a separate alpha-granule-pool of the glycoproteins IIb and IIIa. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1981;670:150-62 pubmed..The dominant three represented the main granule glycoprotein, glycoprotein IIb and glycoprotein IIIa, respectively. More glycoproteins seem to be present in the alpha-granules than was previously recognized. ..
- Jégou A, Niedermayer T, Orbán J, Didry D, Lipowsky R, Carlier M, et al. Individual actin filaments in a microfluidic flow reveal the mechanism of ATP hydrolysis and give insight into the properties of profilin. PLoS Biol. 2011;9:e1001161 pubmed publisher..These results emphasize the potential of microfluidics in elucidating actin regulation at the scale of individual filaments. ..
- Schweinhuber S, MeÃŸerschmidt T, HÃ¤nsch R, Korte M, Rothkegel M. Profilin isoforms modulate astrocytic morphology and the motility of astrocytic processes. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0117244 pubmed publisher..Among the regulators of fast timescale actin-based motility, the actin binding protein profilin 1 has recently been shown to control the activity-dependent outgrowth of astrocytic processes...
- Klingenspor M, Bodnar J, Xia Y, Welch C, Lusis A, Reue K. Localization of profilin-1 (Pfn1) and a related sequence (Pfn1-rs) to mouse chromosomes 11 and 15 respectively. Mamm Genome. 1997;8:539-40 pubmed