Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Pecam1
Description: platelet/endothelial cell adhesion molecule 1
Alias: C85791, Cd31, PECAM-1, Pecam, platelet endothelial cell adhesion molecule
Publications104 found, 100 shown here
- Clarke R, Yzaguirre A, Yashiro Ohtani Y, Bondue A, Blanpain C, Pear W, et al. The expression of Sox17 identifies and regulates haemogenic endothelium. Nat Cell Biol. 2013;15:502-10 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings position Sox17 as a key regulator of haemogenic endothelial and haematopoietic development. ..
- Volckaert T, Campbell A, Dill E, Li C, Minoo P, De Langhe S. Localized Fgf10 expression is not required for lung branching morphogenesis but prevents differentiation of epithelial progenitors. Development. 2013;140:3731-42 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, our data presented here show that once epithelial cells are committed to the Sox2-positive airway epithelial cell fate, Fgf10 prevents ciliated cell differentiation and promotes basal cell differentiation. ..
- Liu B, Liu Y, Du Y, Mardaryev A, Yang W, Chen H, et al. Cbx4 regulates the proliferation of thymic epithelial cells and thymus function. Development. 2013;140:780-8 pubmed publisher..Together, these data establish Cbx4 as a crucial regulator for the generation and maintenance of the thymic epithelium and, hence, for thymocyte development...
- Boucherat O, Montaron S, Bérubé Simard F, Aubin J, Philippidou P, Wellik D, et al. Partial functional redundancy between Hoxa5 and Hoxb5 paralog genes during lung morphogenesis. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2013;304:L817-30 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our observations establish that the Hoxa5 and Hoxb5 paralog genes shared some functions during lung morphogenesis, Hoxa5 playing a predominant role. ..
- Boisset J, Clapes T, van der Linden R, Dzierzak E, Robin C. Integrin ?IIb (CD41) plays a role in the maintenance of hematopoietic stem cell activity in the mouse embryonic aorta. Biol Open. 2013;2:525-32 pubmed publisher..By using ?IIb deficient embryos, we show that ?IIb is not only a reliable HSC marker but it also plays an important and specific function in maintaining the HSC activity in the mouse embryonic aorta. ..
- James J, Nalbandian A, Mukouyama Y. TGF? signaling is required for sprouting lymphangiogenesis during lymphatic network development in the skin. Development. 2013;140:3903-14 pubmed publisher..These data suggest a dual role for TGF? signaling during lymphatic network morphogenesis in the skin, such that it enhances LEC sprouting and branching complexity while attenuating LEC proliferation. ..
- Tian X, Hu T, Zhang H, He L, Huang X, Liu Q, et al. Vessel formation. De novo formation of a distinct coronary vascular population in neonatal heart. Science. 2014;345:90-4 pubmed publisher..This mechanism of postnatal coronary vascular growth provides avenues for understanding and stimulating cardiovascular regeneration following injury and disease. ..
- Maes C, Carmeliet P, Moermans K, Stockmans I, Smets N, Collen D, et al. Impaired angiogenesis and endochondral bone formation in mice lacking the vascular endothelial growth factor isoforms VEGF164 and VEGF188. Mech Dev. 2002;111:61-73 pubmed
- Mitiku N, Baker J. Genomic analysis of gastrulation and organogenesis in the mouse. Dev Cell. 2007;13:897-907 pubmed..Drosophila homologs of these genes are also coordinately downregulated following gastrulation, suggesting that the combined function of these genes has been conserved during metazoan evolution. ..
- Smart N, Dubé K, Riley P. Identification of Thymosin ?4 as an effector of Hand1-mediated vascular development. Nat Commun. 2010;1:46 pubmed publisher..Thus, we identify an in vivo downstream target of Hand1 and reveal impaired yolk sac vasculogenesis as a primary cause of early embryonic lethality following loss of this critical bHLH factor. ..
- Gerety S, Wang H, Chen Z, Anderson D. Symmetrical mutant phenotypes of the receptor EphB4 and its specific transmembrane ligand ephrin-B2 in cardiovascular development. Mol Cell. 1999;4:403-14 pubmed..These data indicate that ephrin-B2-EphB4 interactions are intrinsically required in vascular endothelial cells and are consistent with the idea that they mediate bidirectional signaling essential for angiogenesis. ..
- Regan C, Li W, Boucher D, Spatz S, Su M, Kuida K. Erk5 null mice display multiple extraembryonic vascular and embryonic cardiovascular defects. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:9248-53 pubmed..Moreover, the inability of Erk5-deficient mice to form a complex vasculature suggests that Erk5 may play an important role in controlling angiogenesis. ..
- Gu C, Rodriguez E, Reimert D, Shu T, Fritzsch B, Richards L, et al. Neuropilin-1 conveys semaphorin and VEGF signaling during neural and cardiovascular development. Dev Cell. 2003;5:45-57 pubmed..Therefore, Npn-1 is a multifunctional receptor that mediates the activities of structurally distinct ligands during development of the heart, vasculature, and nervous system. ..
- Huang M, Larbi K, Scheiermann C, Woodfin A, Gerwin N, Haskard D, et al. ICAM-2 mediates neutrophil transmigration in vivo: evidence for stimulus specificity and a role in PECAM-1-independent transmigration. Blood. 2006;107:4721-7 pubmed..Furthermore, ICAM-2 appears capable of mediating PECAM-1-independent leukocyte transmigration.
- Foster K, Sheridan J, Veiga Fernandes H, Roderick K, Pachnis V, Adams R, et al. Contribution of neural crest-derived cells in the embryonic and adult thymus. J Immunol. 2008;180:3183-9 pubmed..In the adult organ at 3 mo of age, these NC-derived perivascular cells continue to be associated with the vasculature, providing structural support to the blood vessels and possibly regulating endothelial cell function. ..
- Jin N, Cho S, Raso M, Wistuba I, Smith Y, Yang Y, et al. Mig-6 is required for appropriate lung development and to ensure normal adult lung homeostasis. Development. 2009;136:3347-56 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that Mig-6 is required for prenatal and perinatal lung development, in part through the regulation of EGF signaling, as well as for maintaining proper pulmonary vascularization. ..
- Gaengel K, Niaudet C, Hagikura K, Laviña B, Siemsen B, Muhl L, et al. The sphingosine-1-phosphate receptor S1PR1 restricts sprouting angiogenesis by regulating the interplay between VE-cadherin and VEGFR2. Dev Cell. 2012;23:587-99 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that S1PR1 signaling acts as a vascular-intrinsic stabilization mechanism, protecting developing blood vessels against aberrant angiogenic responses. ..
- Nakajima M, Yuasa S, Ueno M, Takakura N, Koseki H, Shirasawa T. Abnormal blood vessel development in mice lacking presenilin-1. Mech Dev. 2003;120:657-67 pubmed..An in vitro assay using para-aortic splanchnopleural mesoderm (P-Sp) revealed aberrant angiogenesis in the explant culture from the mutant. These findings suggest the essential roles of PS1 in angiogenesis. ..
- Holtz M, Misra R. Endothelial-specific ablation of serum response factor causes hemorrhaging, yolk sac vascular failure, and embryonic lethality. BMC Dev Biol. 2008;8:65 pubmed publisher..Resulting embryos were harvested at specific ages for observation of physical condition and analysis of genotype...
- Fujiwara H, Ferreira M, Donati G, MARCIANO D, Linton J, Sato Y, et al. The basement membrane of hair follicle stem cells is a muscle cell niche. Cell. 2011;144:577-89 pubmed publisher..Thus, bulge stem cells, via nephronectin expression, create a smooth muscle cell niche and act as tendon cells for the APM. Our results reveal a functional role for basement membrane heterogeneity in tissue patterning. PAPERCLIP: ..
- Lammert E, Cleaver O, Melton D. Induction of pancreatic differentiation by signals from blood vessels. Science. 2001;294:564-7 pubmed..These results indicate that vessels not only provide metabolic sustenance, but also provide inductive signals for organ development. ..
- Shi S, Stanley P. Protein O-fucosyltransferase 1 is an essential component of Notch signaling pathways. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:5234-9 pubmed..Protein O-fucosyltransferase 1 is therefore an essential core member of Notch signaling pathways in mammals. ..
- Mucenski M, Wert S, Nation J, Loudy D, Huelsken J, Birchmeier W, et al. beta-Catenin is required for specification of proximal/distal cell fate during lung morphogenesis. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:40231-8 pubmed..These observations establish, for the first time, both the sites and timing of specification of the proximal and peripheral airways in the developing lung, and that beta-catenin is one of the essential components of this specification. ..
- Sato Y, Baba T, Zubair M, Miyabayashi K, Toyama Y, Maekawa M, et al. Importance of forkhead transcription factor Fkhl18 for development of testicular vasculature. Mol Reprod Dev. 2008;75:1361-71 pubmed publisher..Considering that Fas ligand gene expression is activated by Foxs, the elevated activity of Foxs in the absence of Fkhl18 probably explains the marked apoptosis of periendothelial cells in Fkhl18 KO mice. ..
- Ferdous A, Morris J, Abedin M, Collins S, Richardson J, Hill J. Forkhead factor FoxO1 is essential for placental morphogenesis in the developing embryo. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:16307-12 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our findings provide critical molecular insight into a unique FoxO1-VCAM1 axis that governs placental morphogenesis, a process that is essential for subsequent normal cardiovascular development and fetal life. ..
- Francois M, Short K, Secker G, Combes A, Schwarz Q, Davidson T, et al. Segmental territories along the cardinal veins generate lymph sacs via a ballooning mechanism during embryonic lymphangiogenesis in mice. Dev Biol. 2012;364:89-98 pubmed publisher..Our data support a new model for lymphatic vascular patterning and morphogenesis, as a basis for identifying the molecular cues governing these processes...
- Acharya A, Baek S, Huang G, Eskiocak B, Goetsch S, Sung C, et al. The bHLH transcription factor Tcf21 is required for lineage-specific EMT of cardiac fibroblast progenitors. Development. 2012;139:2139-49 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate a unique role for Tcf21 in multipotent epicardial progenitors, prior to the process of EMT that is essential for cardiac fibroblast development...
- Adams R, Wilkinson G, Weiss C, Diella F, Gale N, Deutsch U, et al. Roles of ephrinB ligands and EphB receptors in cardiovascular development: demarcation of arterial/venous domains, vascular morphogenesis, and sprouting angiogenesis. Genes Dev. 1999;13:295-306 pubmed
- Schorpp Kistner M, Wang Z, Angel P, Wagner E. JunB is essential for mammalian placentation. EMBO J. 1999;18:934-48 pubmed..Therefore, JunB appears to be involved in multiple signaling pathways regulating genes involved in the establishment of a proper feto-maternal circulatory system. ..
- Wigle J, Oliver G. Prox1 function is required for the development of the murine lymphatic system. Cell. 1999;98:769-78 pubmed..These findings suggest that Prox1 is a specific and required regulator of the development of the lymphatic system and that the vascular and lymphatic systems develop independently...
- Donovan M, Lin M, Wiegn P, Ringstedt T, Kraemer R, Hahn R, et al. Brain derived neurotrophic factor is an endothelial cell survival factor required for intramyocardial vessel stabilization. Development. 2000;127:4531-40 pubmed..These results establish an essential role for BDNF in maintaining vessel stability in the heart through direct angiogenic actions on endothelial cells. ..
- Serini G, Valdembri D, Zanivan S, Morterra G, Burkhardt C, Caccavari F, et al. Class 3 semaphorins control vascular morphogenesis by inhibiting integrin function. Nature. 2003;424:391-7 pubmed..Sema3a null mice show vascular defects as well. Thus during angiogenesis endothelial SEMA3 proteins endow the vascular system with the plasticity required for its reshaping by controlling integrin function. ..
- Dominguez M, Hughes V, Pan L, Simmons M, Daly C, Anderson K, et al. Vascular endothelial tyrosine phosphatase (VE-PTP)-null mice undergo vasculogenesis but die embryonically because of defects in angiogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:3243-8 pubmed..VE-PTP is also expressed in the vasculature of growing tumors, suggesting that VE-PTP may be a new potential target for angiogenic therapies. ..
- Bradford S, Wilhelm D, Koopman P. Comparative analysis of anti-mouse SRY antibodies. Sex Dev. 2007;1:305-10 pubmed publisher..Our findings underline the need to distinguish between useful and spurious reagents for biochemical and immunolocalization studies involving mouse SRY protein...
- Davies B, Beigneux A, Barnes R, Tu Y, Gin P, Weinstein M, et al. GPIHBP1 is responsible for the entry of lipoprotein lipase into capillaries. Cell Metab. 2010;12:42-52 pubmed publisher..Our experiments define the function of GPIHBP1 in triglyceride metabolism and provide a mechanism for the transport of LPL into capillaries. ..
- Yanagisawa H, Hammer R, Richardson J, Williams S, Clouthier D, Yanagisawa M. Role of Endothelin-1/Endothelin-A receptor-mediated signaling pathway in the aortic arch patterning in mice. J Clin Invest. 1998;102:22-33 pubmed..Immunostaining of an endothelial marker, platelet endothelial cell adhesion molecule CD-31, shows that the initial formation of the branchial arch arteries is not disturbed in ETA-/..
- Shu W, Jiang Y, Lu M, Morrisey E. Wnt7b regulates mesenchymal proliferation and vascular development in the lung. Development. 2002;129:4831-42 pubmed..These defects lead to rupture of the major vessels and hemorrhage in the lungs after birth. These results demonstrate that Wnt7b signaling is required for proper lung mesenchymal growth and vascular development. ..
- Yuasa H, Oike Y, Iwama A, Nishikata I, Sugiyama D, Perkins A, et al. Oncogenic transcription factor Evi1 regulates hematopoietic stem cell proliferation through GATA-2 expression. EMBO J. 2005;24:1976-87 pubmed..Our results reveal that GATA-2 is presumably one of critical targets for Evi1 and that transcription factors regulate the HSC pool hierarchically. ..
- White A, Xu J, Yin Y, Smith C, Schmid G, Ornitz D. FGF9 and SHH signaling coordinate lung growth and development through regulation of distinct mesenchymal domains. Development. 2006;133:1507-17 pubmed
- Théveniau Ruissy M, Dandonneau M, Mesbah K, Ghez O, Mattei M, Miquerol L, et al. The del22q11.2 candidate gene Tbx1 controls regional outflow tract identity and coronary artery patterning. Circ Res. 2008;103:142-8 pubmed publisher..Our results implicate second heart field development in coronary artery patterning and provide new insights into the association between conotruncal defects and coronary artery anomalies. ..
- Francois M, Caprini A, Hosking B, Orsenigo F, Wilhelm D, Browne C, et al. Sox18 induces development of the lymphatic vasculature in mice. Nature. 2008;456:643-7 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate a critical role for Sox18 in developmental lymphangiogenesis, and suggest new avenues to investigate for therapeutic management of human lymphangiopathies. ..
- Kleaveland B, Zheng X, Liu J, Blum Y, Tung J, Zou Z, et al. Regulation of cardiovascular development and integrity by the heart of glass-cerebral cavernous malformation protein pathway. Nat Med. 2009;15:169-76 pubmed publisher..This study identifies HEG1-CCM protein signaling as a crucial regulator of heart and vessel formation and integrity. ..
- Whitehead K, Chan A, Navankasattusas S, Koh W, London N, Ling J, et al. The cerebral cavernous malformation signaling pathway promotes vascular integrity via Rho GTPases. Nat Med. 2009;15:177-84 pubmed publisher..These data offer the prospect for pharmacological treatment of a human vascular dysplasia with a widely available and safe drug. ..
- Magenheim J, Ilovich O, Lazarus A, Klochendler A, Ziv O, Werman R, et al. Blood vessels restrain pancreas branching, differentiation and growth. Development. 2011;138:4743-52 pubmed publisher..The effects are seen both in vivo and ex vivo, indicating a perfusion-independent mechanism. Thus, the vasculature controls pancreas morphogenesis and growth by reducing branching and differentiation of primitive epithelial cells. ..
- Bazigou E, Xie S, Chen C, Weston A, Miura N, Sorokin L, et al. Integrin-alpha9 is required for fibronectin matrix assembly during lymphatic valve morphogenesis. Dev Cell. 2009;17:175-86 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal an important role for integrin-alpha9 signaling during lymphatic valve morphogenesis and implicate it as a candidate gene for primary lymphedema caused by valve defects...
- Yao H, Matzuk M, Jorgez C, Menke D, Page D, Swain A, et al. Follistatin operates downstream of Wnt4 in mammalian ovary organogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2004;230:210-5 pubmed..Thus, we propose that WNT4 acts through FST to regulate vascular boundaries and maintain germ cell survival in the ovary. ..
- Hosking B, Francois M, Wilhelm D, Orsenigo F, Caprini A, Svingen T, et al. Sox7 and Sox17 are strain-specific modifiers of the lymphangiogenic defects caused by Sox18 dysfunction in mice. Development. 2009;136:2385-91 pubmed publisher..Our studies identify Sox7 and Sox17 as modifiers of the Sox18 mutant phenotype, and reveal their mechanism of action as a novel mode of strain-specific compensatory upregulation. ..
- Takakura N, Watanabe T, Suenobu S, Yamada Y, Noda T, Ito Y, et al. A role for hematopoietic stem cells in promoting angiogenesis. Cell. 2000;102:199-209 pubmed..HSCs, which express Ang1, directly promoted migration of ECs in vivo and in vitro. These results indicate that HSCs are critical for angiogenesis. ..
- Kim Y, Kobayashi A, Sekido R, DiNapoli L, Brennan J, Chaboissier M, et al. Fgf9 and Wnt4 act as antagonistic signals to regulate mammalian sex determination. PLoS Biol. 2006;4:e187 pubmed..In principle, sex determination in other vertebrates may operate through any switch that introduces an imbalance between these two signaling pathways. ..
- Hirashima M, Sano K, Morisada T, Murakami K, Rossant J, Suda T. Lymphatic vessel assembly is impaired in Aspp1-deficient mouse embryos. Dev Biol. 2008;316:149-59 pubmed publisher..Here we report novel lymphatic vascular phenotypes in Aspp1(-/-) mice; subcutaneous edema detected only during embryogenesis, delayed lymphatic vessel formation, and mispatterned collecting lymphatic vessels. ..
- Duncan G, Andrew D, Takimoto H, Kaufman S, Yoshida H, Spellberg J, et al. Genetic evidence for functional redundancy of Platelet/Endothelial cell adhesion molecule-1 (PECAM-1): CD31-deficient mice reveal PECAM-1-dependent and PECAM-1-independent functions. J Immunol. 1999;162:3022-30 pubmedPlatelet/endothelial cell adhesion molecule-1 (PECAM-1; CD31), a member of the Ig superfamily, is expressed strongly at endothelial cell-cell junctions, on platelets, and on most leukocytes...
- Tevosian S, Deconinck A, Tanaka M, Schinke M, Litovsky S, Izumo S, et al. FOG-2, a cofactor for GATA transcription factors, is essential for heart morphogenesis and development of coronary vessels from epicardium. Cell. 2000;101:729-39 pubmed..Our findings provide the molecular inroad into the induction of coronary vasculature by myocardium in the developing heart. ..
- Noveroske J, Lai L, Gaussin V, Northrop J, Nakamura H, Hirschi K, et al. Quaking is essential for blood vessel development. Genesis. 2002;32:218-30 pubmed..Together, these results suggest that quaking plays an essential role in vascular development and that the blood vessel defects are the cause of embryonic death. ..
- Falati S, Patil S, Gross P, Stapleton M, Merrill Skoloff G, Barrett N, et al. Platelet PECAM-1 inhibits thrombus formation in vivo. Blood. 2006;107:535-41 pubmedb>Platelet endothelial cell adhesion molecule-1 (PECAM-1) is a cell surface glycoprotein receptor expressed on a range of blood cells, including platelets, and on vascular endothelial cells...
- Copeland J, Feng Y, Neradugomma N, Fields P, Vivian J. Notch signaling regulates remodeling and vessel diameter in the extraembryonic yolk sac. BMC Dev Biol. 2011;11:12 pubmed publisher..We propose a role for Notch signaling in elaborating the microenvironment of the nascent arteriole, suggesting novel regulatory connections between Notch signaling and other signaling pathways during endothelial differentiation. ..
- Li Z, Lan Y, He W, Chen D, Wang J, Zhou F, et al. Mouse embryonic head as a site for hematopoietic stem cell development. Cell Stem Cell. 2012;11:663-75 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the mouse embryonic head is a previously unappreciated site for HSC emergence within the developing embryo...
- Kwee L, Baldwin H, Shen H, Stewart C, Buck C, Buck C, et al. Defective development of the embryonic and extraembryonic circulatory systems in vascular cell adhesion molecule (VCAM-1) deficient mice. Development. 1995;121:489-503 pubmed..These data suggest important roles for VCAM-1 and alpha 4 in the development of the placenta and the heart. ..
- Sun J, Williams J, Yan H, Amin K, Albelda S, DeLisser H. Platelet endothelial cell adhesion molecule-1 (PECAM-1) homophilic adhesion is mediated by immunoglobulin-like domains 1 and 2 and depends on the cytoplasmic domain and the level of surface expression. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:18561-70 pubmedb>PECAM-1/CD31 is vascular cell adhesion and signaling molecule of the Ig superfamily that plays a role in neutrophil recruitment at inflammatory sites and may be involved the release of leukocytes from the bone marrow and in ..
- Liu Y, Wada R, Yamashita T, Mi Y, Deng C, Hobson J, et al. Edg-1, the G protein-coupled receptor for sphingosine-1-phosphate, is essential for vascular maturation. J Clin Invest. 2000;106:951-61 pubmed..Our data reveal Edg-1 to be the first G protein-coupled receptor required for blood vessel formation and show that sphingolipid signaling is essential during mammalian development. ..
- Jeays Ward K, Hoyle C, Brennan J, Dandonneau M, Alldus G, Capel B, et al. Endothelial and steroidogenic cell migration are regulated by WNT4 in the developing mammalian gonad. Development. 2003;130:3663-70 pubmed..These studies provide a model for understanding how the same signalling molecule can act on two different cell types to coordinate sex development. ..
- Schmahl J, Kim Y, Colvin J, Ornitz D, Capel B. Fgf9 induces proliferation and nuclear localization of FGFR2 in Sertoli precursors during male sex determination. Development. 2004;131:3627-36 pubmed..The nuclear localization of FGFR2 coincides with the initiation of Sry expression and the nuclear localization of SOX9 during the early differentiation of Sertoli cells and the determination of male fate. ..
- Robert Moreno A, Espinosa L, de la Pompa J, Bigas A. RBPjkappa-dependent Notch function regulates Gata2 and is essential for the formation of intra-embryonic hematopoietic cells. Development. 2005;132:1117-26 pubmed..Taken together, these data strongly suggest that activation of Gata2 expression by Notch1/RBPjkappa is a crucial event for the onset of definitive hematopoiesis in the embryo. ..
- Carlson T, Hu H, Braren R, Kim Y, Wang R. Cell-autonomous requirement for beta1 integrin in endothelial cell adhesion, migration and survival during angiogenesis in mice. Development. 2008;135:2193-202 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate that beta1 integrin is essential for EC adhesion, migration and survival during angiogenesis, and further validate that therapies targeting beta1 integrins may effectively impair neovascularization. ..
- Schmahl J, Eicher E, Washburn L, Capel B. Sry induces cell proliferation in the mouse gonad. Development. 2000;127:65-73 pubmed..Therefore, an increase in cell proliferation in the male coelomic epithelium is the earliest identified effect of Sry expression. ..
- Li C, Xiao J, Hormi K, Borok Z, Minoo P. Wnt5a participates in distal lung morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2002;248:68-81 pubmed..Absence of WNT5a activity in the mutant lungs leads to increased expression of Fgf-10, Bmp4, Shh, and its receptor Ptc, raising the possibility that WNT5a, FGF-10, BMP4, and SHH signaling pathways are functionally interactive. ..
- Brachvogel B, Moch H, Pausch F, Schlötzer Schrehardt U, Hofmann C, Hallmann R, et al. Perivascular cells expressing annexin A5 define a novel mesenchymal stem cell-like population with the capacity to differentiate into multiple mesenchymal lineages. Development. 2005;132:2657-68 pubmed..Hence, Anxa5 expression in perivascular cells from mouse defines a novel population of cells with a distinct developmental potential. ..
- Ema M, Takahashi S, Rossant J. Deletion of the selection cassette, but not cis-acting elements, in targeted Flk1-lacZ allele reveals Flk1 expression in multipotent mesodermal progenitors. Blood. 2006;107:111-7 pubmed..Thus, Flk1 expression marks progenitors with broad mesodermal potential but is not absolutely required for the development of all mesodermal lineages in which it is expressed. ..
- Foo S, Turner C, Adams S, Compagni A, Aubyn D, Kogata N, et al. Ephrin-B2 controls cell motility and adhesion during blood-vessel-wall assembly. Cell. 2006;124:161-73 pubmed..Our results indicate that the role of ephrin-B2 and EphB receptors in these processes involves Crk-p130(CAS) signaling and suggest that ephrin-B2 has some cell-cell-contact-independent functions. ..
- Jones E, Yuan L, Breant C, Watts R, Eichmann A. Separating genetic and hemodynamic defects in neuropilin 1 knockout embryos. Development. 2008;135:2479-88 pubmed publisher..This method allows genetic defects caused by loss-of-function of a gene important for cardiovascular development to be isolated even in the presence of hemodynamic defects. ..
- Ivkovic S, Yoon B, Popoff S, Safadi F, Libuda D, Stephenson R, et al. Connective tissue growth factor coordinates chondrogenesis and angiogenesis during skeletal development. Development. 2003;130:2779-91 pubmed..These results demonstrate that CTGF is important for cell proliferation and matrix remodeling during chondrogenesis, and is a key regulator coupling extracellular matrix remodeling to angiogenesis at the growth plate. ..
- Paik J, Skoura A, Chae S, Cowan A, Han D, Proia R, et al. Sphingosine 1-phosphate receptor regulation of N-cadherin mediates vascular stabilization. Genes Dev. 2004;18:2392-403 pubmed..S1P-induced trafficking and activation of N-cadherin provides a novel mechanism for the stabilization of nascent blood vessels by mural cells and may be exploited to control angiogenesis and vascular diseases. ..
- Yoshida T, Vivatbutsiri P, Morriss Kay G, Saga Y, Iseki S. Cell lineage in mammalian craniofacial mesenchyme. Mech Dev. 2008;125:797-808 pubmed publisher..The results clearly demonstrated that the bone primordia extend vertically by intrinsic growth, without detectable recruitment of adjacent mesenchymal cells. ..
- Cuddihy A, Ge S, Zhu J, Jang J, Chidgey A, Thurston G, et al. VEGF-mediated cross-talk within the neonatal murine thymus. Blood. 2009;113:2723-31 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that, during the early postnatal period, VEGF mediates cross-talk between the thymocyte and endothelial compartments of the thymus...
- Bird A, Flecknoe S, Tan K, Olsson P, Antony N, Mantamadiotis T, et al. cAMP response element binding protein is required for differentiation of respiratory epithelium during murine development. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e17843 pubmed publisher..Together, these results demonstrate a crucial role for Creb1 activity for the development and differentiation of the conducting and distal lung epithelium. ..
- Chen D, Jarrell A, Guo C, Lang R, Atit R. Dermal ?-catenin activity in response to epidermal Wnt ligands is required for fibroblast proliferation and hair follicle initiation. Development. 2012;139:1522-33 pubmed publisher..These data reveal functional roles for dermal Wnt signaling/?-catenin in fibroblast proliferation and in the epidermal hair follicle initiation program. ..
- Karkkainen M, Haiko P, Sainio K, Partanen J, Taipale J, Petrova T, et al. Vascular endothelial growth factor C is required for sprouting of the first lymphatic vessels from embryonic veins. Nat Immunol. 2004;5:74-80 pubmed..Our results indicate that VEGF-C is the paracrine factor essential for lymphangiogenesis, and show that both Vegfc alleles are required for normal lymphatic development. ..
- Chen L, Mupo A, Huynh T, Cioffi S, Woods M, Jin C, et al. Tbx1 regulates Vegfr3 and is required for lymphatic vessel development. J Cell Biol. 2010;189:417-24 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal a novel pathway for the development of the lymphatic vessel network. ..
- Fong G, Rossant J, Gertsenstein M, Breitman M. Role of the Flt-1 receptor tyrosine kinase in regulating the assembly of vascular endothelium. Nature. 1995;376:66-70 pubmed..We suggest that the Flt-1 signalling pathway may regulate normal endothelial cell-cell or cell-matrix interactions during vascular development. ..
- Sohn S, Sarvis B, Cado D, Winoto A. ERK5 MAPK regulates embryonic angiogenesis and acts as a hypoxia-sensitive repressor of vascular endothelial growth factor expression. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:43344-51 pubmed..Importantly, ERK5 is required at an earlier developmental stage than p38alpha, and p38alpha does not compensate for ERK5 deficiency. These results demonstrate that ERK5 plays a specific role in the regulation of early angiogenesis. ..
- Solowiej A, Biswas P, Graesser D, Madri J. Lack of platelet endothelial cell adhesion molecule-1 attenuates foreign body inflammation because of decreased angiogenesis. Am J Pathol. 2003;162:953-62 pubmedb>Platelet endothelial cell adhesion molecule-1 (PECAM-1, CD31) is a 130-kd member of the immunoglobulin superfamily of proteins, expressed on endothelial cells, leukocytes, and platelets...
- Ma Q, Zhou B, Pu W. Reassessment of Isl1 and Nkx2-5 cardiac fate maps using a Gata4-based reporter of Cre activity. Dev Biol. 2008;323:98-104 pubmed publisher..These results have important implications for our understanding of cardiac lineage diversification in vivo, and for the interpretation of Cre-based fate maps. ..
- Goss A, Tian Y, Cheng L, Yang J, Zhou D, Cohen E, et al. Wnt2 signaling is necessary and sufficient to activate the airway smooth muscle program in the lung by regulating myocardin/Mrtf-B and Fgf10 expression. Dev Biol. 2011;356:541-52 pubmed publisher..These studies place Wnt2 high in a hierarchy of signaling molecules that promote the earliest aspects of lung airway smooth muscle development. ..
- Bader B, Rayburn H, Crowley D, Hynes R. Extensive vasculogenesis, angiogenesis, and organogenesis precede lethality in mice lacking all alpha v integrins. Cell. 1998;95:507-19 pubmed..These results necessitate reevaluation of the primacy of alphav integrins in many functions including vascular development, despite reports that blockade of these integrins with antibodies or peptides prevents angiogenesis. ..
- Kondo S, Scheef E, Sheibani N, Sorenson C. PECAM-1 isoform-specific regulation of kidney endothelial cell migration and capillary morphogenesis. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2007;292:C2070-83 pubmedb>Platelet endothelial cell adhesion molecule-1 (PECAM-1) has been implicated in angiogenesis through its involvement in endothelial cell-cell and cell-matrix interactions and signal transduction...
- Shawber C, Funahashi Y, Francisco E, Vorontchikhina M, Kitamura Y, Stowell S, et al. Notch alters VEGF responsiveness in human and murine endothelial cells by direct regulation of VEGFR-3 expression. J Clin Invest. 2007;117:3369-82 pubmed..These results demonstrate that Notch1 and VEGFR-3 interact genetically, that Notch directly induces VEGFR-3 in blood endothelial cells to regulate vascular development, and that Notch may function in tumor lymphangiogenesis. ..
- van der Flier A, Badu Nkansah K, Whittaker C, Crowley D, Bronson R, Lacy Hulbert A, et al. Endothelial alpha5 and alphav integrins cooperate in remodeling of the vasculature during development. Development. 2010;137:2439-49 pubmed publisher..These integrins on other cells, and/or other integrins on endothelial cells, might contribute to fibronectin assembly and vascular development. ..