Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Pdgfra
Description: platelet derived growth factor receptor, alpha polypeptide
Alias: AI115593, CD140a, Pdgfr-2, platelet-derived growth factor receptor alpha, Alpha platelet-derived growth factor receptor precursor (PDGF-R-alpha), CD140 antigen-like family member A, PDGF alpha chain, PDGF-R-alpha, PDGFR-alpha, alpha-type platelet-derived growth factor receptor
- Artus J, Piliszek A, Hadjantonakis A. The primitive endoderm lineage of the mouse blastocyst: sequential transcription factor activation and regulation of differentiation by Sox17. Dev Biol. 2011;350:393-404 pubmed publisher..However, analysis of implantation-delayed blastocysts, revealed a role for SOX17 in the maintenance of PrE epithelial integrity, with the absence of SOX17 leading to premature delamination and migration of parietal endoderm. ..
- Lesko M, Driskell R, Kretzschmar K, Goldie S, Watt F. Sox2 modulates the function of two distinct cell lineages in mouse skin. Dev Biol. 2013;382:15-26 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Sox2 is a marker of two distinct lineages in the skin and regulates the number of differentiated cells in the case of the Merkel cell lineage and hair follicle type in the case of the DP. ..
- Sun T, Pringle N, Hardy A, Richardson W, Smith H. Pax6 influences the time and site of origin of glial precursors in the ventral neural tube. Mol Cell Neurosci. 1998;12:228-39 pubmed..OLs developed normally in explants of Isl1(-/-) spinal cords, which lack MNs, arguing against feedback control and suggesting that the neuron-glia switch is an intrinsic developmental program in a specific subset of neural precursors. ..
- Chen H, Gu X, Liu Y, Wang J, Wirt S, Bottino R, et al. PDGF signalling controls age-dependent proliferation in pancreatic ?-cells. Nature. 2011;478:349-55 pubmed publisher..Conditional inactivation of the Pdgfra gene in ?-cells accelerated these changes, preventing mouse neonatal ?-cell expansion and adult ?-cell ..
- Seifert R, Alpers C, Bowen Pope D. Expression of platelet-derived growth factor and its receptors in the developing and adult mouse kidney. Kidney Int. 1998;54:731-46 pubmed
- Kang M, Piliszek A, Artus J, Hadjantonakis A. FGF4 is required for lineage restriction and salt-and-pepper distribution of primitive endoderm factors but not their initial expression in the mouse. Development. 2013;140:267-79 pubmed publisher..Instead, depending on concentration, we noted no effect or conversion of all ICM cells to GATA6-positive PrE. We propose that heterogeneities in the availability of FGF produce the salt-and-pepper distribution of lineage-biased cells...
- Vogl M, Reiprich S, Küspert M, Kosian T, Schrewe H, Nave K, et al. Sox10 cooperates with the mediator subunit 12 during terminal differentiation of myelinating glia. J Neurosci. 2013;33:6679-90 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Sox10 functions during terminal differentiation of myelinating glia, at least in part by Med12-dependent recruitment of the Mediator complex. ..
- Iino S, Horiguchi K, Horiguchi S, Nojyo Y. c-Kit-negative fibroblast-like cells express platelet-derived growth factor receptor alpha in the murine gastrointestinal musculature. Histochem Cell Biol. 2009;131:691-702 pubmed publisher..Our observations suggest that PDGFRalpha-ip cells are basic cellular elements throughout the gastrointestinal musculature and are involved in the gastrointestinal functions. ..
- Takakura N, Yoshida H, Ogura Y, Kataoka H, Nishikawa S. PDGFR alpha expression during mouse embryogenesis: immunolocalization analyzed by whole-mount immunohistostaining using the monoclonal anti-mouse PDGFR alpha antibody APA5. J Histochem Cytochem. 1997;45:883-93 pubmedWe investigated the cells that express platelet-derived growth factor receptor alpha (PDGFR alpha) during mouse embryogenesis...
- Rock J, Barkauskas C, Cronce M, Xue Y, Harris J, Liang J, et al. Multiple stromal populations contribute to pulmonary fibrosis without evidence for epithelial to mesenchymal transition. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:E1475-83 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results show a previously unappreciated heterogeneity of cell types proliferating in fibrotic lesions and exclude pericytes and two epithelial cell populations as the origin of myofibroblasts...
- Frum T, Halbisen M, Wang C, Amiri H, Robson P, Ralston A. Oct4 cell-autonomously promotes primitive endoderm development in the mouse blastocyst. Dev Cell. 2013;25:610-22 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that Oct4 is required for the expression of multiple EPI and PE genes as well as multiple metabolic pathways essential for the continued growth of the preimplantation embryo. ..
- McGowan S, Grossmann R, Kimani P, Holmes A. Platelet-derived growth factor receptor-alpha-expressing cells localize to the alveolar entry ring and have characteristics of myofibroblasts during pulmonary alveolar septal formation. Anat Rec (Hoboken). 2008;291:1649-61 pubmed publisher..In addition to defining how alveolar septa form, these findings may have implications for the treatment of diseases which involve alveolar effacement such as emphysema and pulmonary fibrosis. ..
- Wang S, Dulin J, Wu H, Hurlock E, Lee S, Jansson K, et al. An oligodendrocyte-specific zinc-finger transcription regulator cooperates with Olig2 to promote oligodendrocyte differentiation. Development. 2006;133:3389-98 pubmed
- Jackson E, Garcia Verdugo J, Gil Perotin S, Roy M, Quinones Hinojosa A, Vandenberg S, et al. PDGFR alpha-positive B cells are neural stem cells in the adult SVZ that form glioma-like growths in response to increased PDGF signaling. Neuron. 2006;51:187-99 pubmed..Excessive PDGF activation in the SVZ in stem cells is sufficient to induce hallmarks associated with early stages of tumor formation. ..
- Bostrom H, Willetts K, Pekny M, Leveen P, Lindahl P, Hedstrand H, et al. PDGF-A signaling is a critical event in lung alveolar myofibroblast development and alveogenesis. Cell. 1996;85:863-73 pubmed..The two PDGF null phenotypes also reveal analogous morphogenetic functions for myofibroblast-type cells in lung and kidney organogenesis. ..
- Ding H, Wu X, Bostrom H, Kim I, Wong N, Tsoi B, et al. A specific requirement for PDGF-C in palate formation and PDGFR-alpha signaling. Nat Genet. 2004;36:1111-6 pubmed..This phenotype was less severe than that of Pdgfra(-/-) embryos...
- Li X, Ponten A, Aase K, Karlsson L, Abramsson A, Uutela M, et al. PDGF-C is a new protease-activated ligand for the PDGF alpha-receptor. Nat Cell Biol. 2000;2:302-9 pubmed
- Stolt C, Lommes P, Sock E, Chaboissier M, Schedl A, Wegner M. The Sox9 transcription factor determines glial fate choice in the developing spinal cord. Genes Dev. 2003;17:1677-89 pubmed
- Zhang X, Afink G, Svensson K, Jacobs J, Gunther T, Forsberg Nilsson K, et al. Specific expression in mouse mesoderm- and neural crest-derived tissues of a human PDGFRA promoter/lacZ transgene. Mech Dev. 1998;70:167-80 pubmed..demonstrate the in vivo promoter function of genomic DNA fragments representing the 5'-flanking part of the human PDGFRA gene. 2.2, 0.9 and 0...
- Finzsch M, Stolt C, Lommes P, Wegner M. Sox9 and Sox10 influence survival and migration of oligodendrocyte precursors in the spinal cord by regulating PDGF receptor alpha expression. Development. 2008;135:637-46 pubmed publisher..We thus conclude that Sox9 and Sox10 are required in a functionally redundant manner in oligodendrocyte precursors for PDGF-dependent survival and migration. ..
- Soriano P. Abnormal kidney development and hematological disorders in PDGF beta-receptor mutant mice. Genes Dev. 1994;8:1888-96 pubmed..These results indicate that whereas the beta receptor is essential in certain cell types during embryonic development, its broader role may be masked because of compensation by the alpha-subunit. ..
- Schrode N, Saiz N, Di Talia S, Hadjantonakis A. GATA6 levels modulate primitive endoderm cell fate choice and timing in the mouse blastocyst. Dev Cell. 2014;29:454-67 pubmed publisher..This study provides a framework for quantitative analyses of mammalian embryos and establishes GATA6 as a nodal point in the gene regulatory network driving ICM lineage specification. ..
- Lu Q, Sun T, Zhu Z, Ma N, Garcia M, Stiles C, et al. Common developmental requirement for Olig function indicates a motor neuron/oligodendrocyte connection. Cell. 2002;109:75-86 pubmed..Neither Olig gene is required for astrocytes. These findings, together with fate mapping analysis of Olig-expressing cells, indicate that oligodendrocytes are derived from Olig-specified progenitors that give rise also to neurons. ..
- Richarte A, Mead H, Tallquist M. Cooperation between the PDGF receptors in cardiac neural crest cell migration. Dev Biol. 2007;306:785-96 pubmed..Combined PDGF receptor signaling is required for sufficient recruitment of cardiac NCCs into the conotruncal region and for formation of the aortico-pulmonary and ventricular septum. ..
- Spassky N, Goujet Zalc C, Parmantier E, Olivier C, Martinez S, Ivanova A, et al. Multiple restricted origin of oligodendrocytes. J Neurosci. 1998;18:8331-43 pubmed..These data suggest that oligodendrocytes have a plural origin and that early plp/dm-20 defines one of the neural lineages generating oligodendrocytes. ..
- Stolt C, Rehberg S, Ader M, Lommes P, Riethmacher D, Schachner M, et al. Terminal differentiation of myelin-forming oligodendrocytes depends on the transcription factor Sox10. Genes Dev. 2002;16:165-70 pubmed..Sox10 directly regulates myelin gene expression in oligodendrocytes, but does not control erbB3 expression as in peripheral glia. Sox10 thus functions in peripheral and central glia at different stages and through different mechanisms. ..
- Mori K, Itoi M, Tsukamoto N, Amagai T. Foxn1 is essential for vascularization of the murine thymus anlage. Cell Immunol. 2010;260:66-9 pubmed publisher..The present results indicate that Foxn1 dependent epithelial development is essential for vascularization of the thymus anlagen. ..
- Fantauzzo K, Soriano P. PI3K-mediated PDGFR? signaling regulates survival and proliferation in skeletal development through p53-dependent intracellular pathways. Genes Dev. 2014;28:1005-17 pubmed publisher..Autophosphorylation mutant knock-in embryos in which PDGFR? is unable to bind PI3K (Pdgfra(PI3K/PI3K)) exhibit skeletal defects affecting the palatal shelves, shoulder girdle, vertebrae, and sternum...
- Driskell R, Lichtenberger B, Hoste E, Kretzschmar K, Simons B, Charalambous M, et al. Distinct fibroblast lineages determine dermal architecture in skin development and repair. Nature. 2013;504:277-281 pubmed publisher..They also form a platform for discovering fibroblast lineages in other tissues and for examining fibroblast changes in ageing and disease. ..
- Kataoka H, Takakura N, Nishikawa S, Tsuchida K, Kodama H, Kunisada T, et al. Expressions of PDGF receptor alpha, c-Kit and Flk1 genes clustering in mouse chromosome 5 define distinct subsets of nascent mesodermal cells. Dev Growth Differ. 1997;39:729-40 pubmed..The results suggest that these three receptor tyrosine kinases will be useful for defining and sorting subsets of mesodermal cells from embryos or in vitro cultured ES cells. ..
- Calver A, Hall A, Yu W, Walsh F, Heath J, Betsholtz C, et al. Oligodendrocyte population dynamics and the role of PDGF in vivo. Neuron. 1998;20:869-82 pubmed..Therefore, cell survival controls override proliferation controls for determining the final number and distribution of mature oligodendrocytes. ..
- Lee Y, Petkova A, Mottillo E, Granneman J. In vivo identification of bipotential adipocyte progenitors recruited by ?3-adrenoceptor activation and high-fat feeding. Cell Metab. 2012;15:480-91 pubmed publisher..The identification of PDGFR?(+) cells as bipotential adipocyte progenitors will enable further investigation of mechanisms that promote therapeutic cellular remodeling in adult WAT. ..
- Tekki Kessaris N, Woodruff R, Hall A, Gaffield W, Kimura S, Stiles C, et al. Hedgehog-dependent oligodendrocyte lineage specification in the telencephalon. Development. 2001;128:2545-54 pubmed..We show that OLPs in the embryonic mouse forebrain express platelet-derived growth factor alpha-receptors (PDGFRA), as they do in more caudal regions...
- Fu H, Qi Y, Tan M, Cai J, Takebayashi H, Nakafuku M, et al. Dual origin of spinal oligodendrocyte progenitors and evidence for the cooperative role of Olig2 and Nkx2.2 in the control of oligodendrocyte differentiation. Development. 2002;129:681-93 pubmed..From the Olig2+ motoneuron precursor domain (pMN) arise the Olig2+/Pdgfra+ OLPs, whereas the Nkx2.2+ p3 domain give rise to Nkx2.2+ OLPs...
- Lindahl P, Karlsson L, Hellstrom M, Gebre Medhin S, Willetts K, Heath J, et al. Alveogenesis failure in PDGF-A-deficient mice is coupled to lack of distal spreading of alveolar smooth muscle cell progenitors during lung development. Development. 1997;124:3943-53 pubmed..We also propose that postnatal alveogenesis failure in PDGF-A(-/-) mice is due to a prenatal block in the distal spreading of PDGF-Ralpha+ cells along the tubular lung epithelium during the canalicular stage of lung development. ..
- Kataoka H, Hayashi M, Nakagawa R, Tanaka Y, Izumi N, Nishikawa S, et al. Etv2/ER71 induces vascular mesoderm from Flk1+PDGFR?+ primitive mesoderm. Blood. 2011;118:6975-86 pubmed publisher..We propose that Flk-1(+)/PDGFR?(+) primitive mesoderm is committed into Flk-1(+)/PDGFR?(-) vascular mesoderm through Etv2 and that up-regulation of Etv2 by VEGF promotes this commitment...
- McGowan S, McCoy D. Fibroblasts expressing PDGF-receptor-alpha diminish during alveolar septal thinning in mice. Pediatr Res. 2011;70:44-9 pubmed publisher..Our findings are relevant to bronchopulmonary dysplasia in which positive pressure ventilation interferes with myofibroblast depletion, septal thinning, and capillary maturation. ..
- Plusa B, Piliszek A, Frankenberg S, Artus J, Hadjantonakis A. Distinct sequential cell behaviours direct primitive endoderm formation in the mouse blastocyst. Development. 2008;135:3081-91 pubmed publisher..By combining live imaging of embryos expressing a histone H2B-GFP fusion protein reporter under the control of Pdgfra regulatory elements with the analysis of lineage-specific markers, we investigated the events leading to PrE and ..
- Karlsson L, Lindahl P, Heath J, Betsholtz C. Abnormal gastrointestinal development in PDGF-A and PDGFR-(alpha) deficient mice implicates a novel mesenchymal structure with putative instructive properties in villus morphogenesis. Development. 2000;127:3457-66 pubmed..The role of PDGF-A seems to be to secure renewal of PDGFR-(alpha) positive cells when they are consumed in the initial rounds of cluster formation. ..
- Olson L, Soriano P. Increased PDGFRalpha activation disrupts connective tissue development and drives systemic fibrosis. Dev Cell. 2009;16:303-13 pubmed publisher..These results highlight the role of PDGFRalpha in normal connective tissue development and homeostasis and demonstrate a pivotal role for PDGFRalpha signaling in systemic fibrosis diseases. ..
- Hamilton T, Klinghoffer R, Corrin P, Soriano P. Evolutionary divergence of platelet-derived growth factor alpha receptor signaling mechanisms. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:4013-25 pubmed..These results suggest that precise regulation of divergent downstream signaling pathways is critical for specification of RTK function. ..
- Soriano P. The PDGF alpha receptor is required for neural crest cell development and for normal patterning of the somites. Development. 1997;124:2691-700 pubmed..These results indicate that PDGFs may exert their functions during early embryogenesis by affecting cell survival and patterning. ..
- Lu Q, Yuk D, Alberta J, Zhu Z, Pawlitzky I, Chan J, et al. Sonic hedgehog--regulated oligodendrocyte lineage genes encoding bHLH proteins in the mammalian central nervous system. Neuron. 2000;25:317-29 pubmed..Gain- and loss-of-function analyses in transgenic mice demonstrate that Shh is both necessary and sufficient for Olg gene expression in vivo. ..
- Schmahl J, Raymond C, Soriano P. PDGF signaling specificity is mediated through multiple immediate early genes. Nat Genet. 2007;39:52-60 pubmed..We conclude that these genes form a network that controls specific processes downstream of PDGF signaling. ..
- Schneider L, Clement C, Teilmann S, Pazour G, Hoffmann E, Satir P, et al. PDGFRalphaalpha signaling is regulated through the primary cilium in fibroblasts. Curr Biol. 2005;15:1861-6 pubmed..We propose that ciliary PDGFRalphaalpha signaling is linked to tissue homeostasis and to mitogenic signaling pathways. ..
- Collins C, Kretzschmar K, Watt F. Reprogramming adult dermis to a neonatal state through epidermal activation of ?-catenin. Development. 2011;138:5189-99 pubmed publisher..Our results show that adult dermis is an unexpectedly plastic tissue that can be reprogrammed to acquire the molecular, cellular and structural characteristics of neonatal dermis in response to cues from the overlying epidermis. ..
- Klinghoffer R, Mueting Nelsen P, Faerman A, Shani M, Soriano P. The two PDGF receptors maintain conserved signaling in vivo despite divergent embryological functions. Mol Cell. 2001;7:343-54 pubmed..This observation provides a framework for discussing the evolution of receptor tyrosine kinase functional specificity. ..
- Qi Y, Cai J, Wu Y, Wu R, Lee J, Fu H, et al. Control of oligodendrocyte differentiation by the Nkx2.2 homeodomain transcription factor. Development. 2001;128:2723-33 pubmed..Consistent with this suggestion, overproduction of Nkx2.2 protein in fibroblast cells can induce gene expression from the proteolipid protein promoter. ..
- Stolt C, Schlierf A, Lommes P, Hillgärtner S, Werner T, Kosian T, et al. SoxD proteins influence multiple stages of oligodendrocyte development and modulate SoxE protein function. Dev Cell. 2006;11:697-709 pubmed..Our studies reveal a complex regulatory network between different groups of Sox proteins that is essential for proper progression of oligodendrocyte development. ..
- Mellgren A, Smith C, Olsen G, Eskiocak B, Zhou B, Kazi M, et al. Platelet-derived growth factor receptor beta signaling is required for efficient epicardial cell migration and development of two distinct coronary vascular smooth muscle cell populations. Circ Res. 2008;103:1393-401 pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrate that PDGFRbeta is required for the formation of 2 distinct cVSMC populations and that loss of PDGFRbeta-PI3K signaling disrupts epicardial cell migration. ..
- Chojnacki A, Mak G, Weiss S. PDGFR? expression distinguishes GFAP-expressing neural stem cells from PDGF-responsive neural precursors in the adult periventricular area. J Neurosci. 2011;31:9503-12 pubmed publisher..Our results do not support the view that GFAP-expressing NSCs are the origin of glioma-like masses that form after intraventricular PDGF infusion. ..
- Karlsson S, Kowanetz K, Sandin A, Persson C, Ostman A, Heldin C, et al. Loss of T-cell protein tyrosine phosphatase induces recycling of the platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF) beta-receptor but not the PDGF alpha-receptor. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:4846-55 pubmed..Thus, loss of TC-PTP specifically redirects the PDGF beta-receptor toward rapid recycling, which is the first evidence of differential trafficking of PDGF receptor family members. ..
- Lei H, Kazlauskas A. Growth factors outside of the platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF) family employ reactive oxygen species/Src family kinases to activate PDGF receptor alpha and thereby promote proliferation and survival of cells. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:6329-36 pubmed publisher..These studies reveal a novel mechanism for activation of PDGFRalpha that appears capable of enhancing the responsiveness of cells to growth factors outside of the PDGF family. ..