Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: P2rx7
Description: purinergic receptor P2X, ligand-gated ion channel, 7
Alias: AI467586, P2X(7), P2X7R, P2X purinoceptor 7, ATP receptor, P2X7 purinoceptor, P2X7 receptor, P2Z receptor
- Elliott J, McVey J, Higgins C. The P2X7 receptor is a candidate product of murine and human lupus susceptibility loci: a hypothesis and comparison of murine allelic products. Arthritis Res Ther. 2005;7:R468-75 pubmed..P2RX7, respectively, while lymphocytes from these and (NZB x NZW)F1 mice differ markedly in their responses to P2X7 receptor stimulation. NZB mice and NZW mice express functionally distinct alleles of the proinflammatory receptor, P2X7...
- Mishra A, Chintagari N, Guo Y, Weng T, Su L, Liu L. Purinergic P2X7 receptor regulates lung surfactant secretion in a paracrine manner. J Cell Sci. 2011;124:657-68 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the activation of P2X(7)R increases surfactant secretion by releasing ATP from AEC I and subsequently stimulating P2Y(2) receptors in AEC II. ..
- Aswad F, Dennert G. P2X7 receptor expression levels determine lethal effects of a purine based danger signal in T lymphocytes. Cell Immunol. 2006;243:58-65 pubmed..Experiments show that spontaneous T cell proliferation is somewhat higher in cells expressing P2X(7)Rs, but this effect we suggest is caused by P2X(7)R expression on accessory cells. ..
- Zhou R, Tardivel A, Thorens B, Choi I, Tschopp J. Thioredoxin-interacting protein links oxidative stress to inflammasome activation. Nat Immunol. 2010;11:136-40 pubmed publisher..The participation of TXNIP in the NLRP3 inflammasome activation may provide a mechanistic link to the observed involvement of IL-1beta in the pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes. ..
- Iyer S, Pulskens W, Sadler J, Butter L, Teske G, Ulland T, et al. Necrotic cells trigger a sterile inflammatory response through the Nlrp3 inflammasome. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:20388-93 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that the inhibition of Nlrp3 inflammasome activity can diminish the acute inflammation and damage associated with tissue injury. ..
- Raouf R, Chabot Doré A, Ase A, Blais D, Séguéla P. Differential regulation of microglial P2X4 and P2X7 ATP receptors following LPS-induced activation. Neuropharmacology. 2007;53:496-504 pubmed
- Yip L, Woehrle T, Corriden R, Hirsh M, Chen Y, Inoue Y, et al. Autocrine regulation of T-cell activation by ATP release and P2X7 receptors. FASEB J. 2009;23:1685-93 pubmed publisher..We conclude that ATP release and autocrine, positive feedback through P2X(7) receptors is required for the effective activation of T cells. ..
- Masin M, Young C, Lim K, Barnes S, Xu X, Marschall V, et al. Expression, assembly and function of novel C-terminal truncated variants of the mouse P2X7 receptor: re-evaluation of P2X7 knockouts. Br J Pharmacol. 2012;165:978-93 pubmed publisherSplice variants of P2X7 receptor transcripts contribute to the diversity of receptor-mediated responses...
- Barberà Cremades M, Baroja Mazo A, Gómez A, Machado F, Di Virgilio F, Pelegrin P. P2X7 receptor-stimulation causes fever via PGE2 and IL-1? release. FASEB J. 2012;26:2951-62 pubmed publisher..Barberà-Cremades, M., Baroja-Mazo, A., Gomez, A. I., Machado, F., Di Virgilio, F., Pelegrín, P. P2X7 receptor-stimulation causes fever via PGE2 and IL-1? release.
- Gendron F, Chalimoniuk M, Strosznajder J, Shen S, Gonzalez F, Weisman G, et al. P2X7 nucleotide receptor activation enhances IFN gamma-induced type II nitric oxide synthase activity in BV-2 microglial cells. J Neurochem. 2003;87:344-52 pubmed..BzATP, a potent P2X7 receptor agonist, was more effective than ATP, ADP, or 2-MeSATP at enhancing IFN gamma-induced ERK1/2 phosphorylation...
- Gomez Villafuertes R, del Puerto A, Diaz Hernandez M, Bustillo D, Diaz Hernandez J, Huerta P, et al. Ca2+/calmodulin-dependent kinase II signalling cascade mediates P2X7 receptor-dependent inhibition of neuritogenesis in neuroblastoma cells. FEBS J. 2009;276:5307-25 pubmed publisher..Previously, we have reported that P2X7 receptor inhibition promotes axonal growth and branching in cultured hippocampal neurons...
- Taylor S, Turner C, Elliott J, McDaid J, Hewitt R, Smith J, et al. P2X7 deficiency attenuates renal injury in experimental glomerulonephritis. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009;20:1275-81 pubmed publisherThe P2X7 receptor is a ligand-gated cation channel that is normally expressed by a variety of immune cells, including macrophages and lymphocytes...
- Lee B, Hwang D, Palaniyar N, Grinstein S, Philpott D, Hu J. Activation of P2X(7) receptor by ATP plays an important role in regulating inflammatory responses during acute viral infection. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e35812 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that ATP, released during viral infection, is an important inflammatory regulator that activates the inflammasome pathway and regulates inflammatory responses. ..
- Alberto A, Faria R, Couto C, Ferreira L, Souza C, Teixeira P, et al. Is pannexin the pore associated with the P2X7 receptor?. Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol. 2013;386:775-87 pubmed publisherThe P2X7 receptor (P2X7R), an ATP-gated cation channel, is expressed predominantly in leukocytes. Activation of P2X7R has been implicated in the formation of a cytolytic pore (i.e...
- Pelegrin P, Barroso Gutierrez C, Surprenant A. P2X7 receptor differentially couples to distinct release pathways for IL-1beta in mouse macrophage. J Immunol. 2008;180:7147-57 pubmed..None of these release responses were associated with cell damage or cytolytic effects. This provides the first direct demonstration of a distinct signaling mechanism responsible for ATP-induced release of pro-IL-1beta. ..
- Wu P, Lin Y, Chang C, Lu H, Chin C, Hsu T, et al. Functional decreases in P2X7 receptors are associated with retinoic acid-induced neuronal differentiation of Neuro-2a neuroblastoma cells. Cell Signal. 2009;21:881-91 pubmed..Recently, P2X7 receptor has been shown to sustain growth of human neuroblastoma cells but its role during neuronal differentiation ..
- Gonçalves R, Gabrich L, Rosario A, Takiya C, Ferreira M, Chiarini L, et al. The role of purinergic P2X7 receptors in the inflammation and fibrosis of unilateral ureteral obstruction in mice. Kidney Int. 2006;70:1599-606 pubmed..These findings constitute the first evidence that P2X7 receptors are implicated in macrophage infiltration, collagen deposition and apoptosis in response to ureteral obstruction in mice. ..
- Dostert C, Guarda G, Romero J, Menu P, Gross O, Tardivel A, et al. Malarial hemozoin is a Nalp3 inflammasome activating danger signal. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e6510 pubmed publisher..The potent pro-inflammatory effect of hemozoin through inflammasome activation may possibly be implicated in plasmodium-associated pathologies such as cerebral malaria. ..
- Labrousse V, Costes L, Aubert A, Darnaudéry M, Ferreira G, Amédée T, et al. Impaired interleukin-1beta and c-Fos expression in the hippocampus is associated with a spatial memory deficit in P2X(7) receptor-deficient mice. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e6006 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results show that P2X(7)R plays a critical role in spatial memory processes and the associated hippocampal IL-1beta mRNA synthesis and c-Fos activation. ..
- Nicke A, Kuan Y, Masin M, Rettinger J, Marquez Klaka B, Bender O, et al. A functional P2X7 splice variant with an alternative transmembrane domain 1 escapes gene inactivation in P2X7 knock-out mice. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:25813-22 pubmed publisherThe ATP-activated P2X7 receptor channel is involved in immune function and inflammatory pain and represents an important drug target...
- Marin Garcia P, Sánchez Nogueiro J, Gomez Villafuertes R, Leon D, Miras Portugal M. Synaptic terminals from mice midbrain exhibit functional P2X7 receptor. Neuroscience. 2008;151:361-73 pubmed..These biochemical and pharmacological experiments are consistent with the presence of a functional P2X(7) receptor in wild type mice midbrain, and the existence of a less efficient "P2X(7)-like" receptor in the KO model. ..
- Xu X, Boumechache M, Robinson L, Marschall V, Gorecki D, Masin M, et al. Splice variants of the P2X7 receptor reveal differential agonist dependence and functional coupling with pannexin-1. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:3776-89 pubmed publisher..By studying alternative variants of the mouse P2X7 receptor we show that sensitivity to NAD is mediated through the P2X7k variant, which has a much more restricted ..
- Skaper S, Facci L, Culbert A, Evans N, Chessell I, Davis J, et al. P2X(7) receptors on microglial cells mediate injury to cortical neurons in vitro. Glia. 2006;54:234-42 pubmed
- Armstrong S, Pereverzev A, Dixon S, Sims S. Activation of P2X7 receptors causes isoform-specific translocation of protein kinase C in osteoclasts. J Cell Sci. 2009;122:136-44 pubmed publisher..Osteoclasts express P2X7 receptors (encoded by P2rx7) - Ca(2+)-permeable channels that are activated by high concentrations of extracellular ATP...
- da Silva G, Sperotto N, Borges T, Bonorino C, Takyia C, Coutinho Silva R, et al. P2X7 receptor is required for neutrophil accumulation in a mouse model of irritant contact dermatitis. Exp Dermatol. 2013;22:184-8 pubmed publisherIrritant contact dermatitis (ICD) is an inflammatory reaction caused by chemical toxicity on the skin. The P2X7 receptor (P2X7R) is a key mediator of cytokine release, which recruits immune cells to sites of inflammation...
- Martins J, Silva R, Coutinho Silva R, Takiya C, Battastini A, Morrone F, et al. The role of P2X7 purinergic receptors in inflammatory and nociceptive changes accompanying cyclophosphamide-induced haemorrhagic cystitis in mice. Br J Pharmacol. 2012;165:183-96 pubmed publisher..Here we have evaluated the role of P2X7 receptors in a model of HC induced by cyclophosphamide...
- Furlan Freguia C, Marchese P, Gruber A, Ruggeri Z, Ruf W. P2X7 receptor signaling contributes to tissue factor-dependent thrombosis in mice. J Clin Invest. 2011;121:2932-44 pubmed publisher..in mouse myeloid cells, ATP-triggered signaling through purinergic receptor P2X, ligand-gated ion channel, 7 (P2X7 receptor; encoded by P2rx7) induced activation (decryption) of TF procoagulant activity and promoted release of TF+ MPs ..
- Boucher A, Arnold J, Hunt G, Spiro A, Spencer J, Brown C, et al. Resilience and reduced c-Fos expression in P2X7 receptor knockout mice exposed to repeated forced swim test. Neuroscience. 2011;189:170-7 pubmed publisher..Recent linkage studies have associated a polymorphism of the gene coding for the P2X7 receptor (P2X7R) with both major depressive disorder and bipolar disorder...
- Krueger J, Taishi P, De A, Davis C, Winters B, Clinton J, et al. ATP and the purine type 2 X7 receptor affect sleep. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2010;109:1318-27 pubmed publisher..Rat P2X7 receptor protein varied in the somatosensory cortex with time of day, and P2X7 mRNA was altered by interleukin-1 ..
- Kawamura H, Aswad F, Minagawa M, Govindarajan S, Dennert G. P2X7 receptors regulate NKT cells in autoimmune hepatitis. J Immunol. 2006;176:2152-60 pubmed..These results prompt the conclusion that engagement of P2X(7)Rs on NKT cells inhibits naive, while stimulating activated cells, resulting in suppression or stimulation of autoimmune hepatitis. ..
- Riteau N, Gasse P, Fauconnier L, Gombault A, Couegnat M, Fick L, et al. Extracellular ATP is a danger signal activating P2X7 receptor in lung inflammation and fibrosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2010;182:774-83 pubmed publisher..ATP released from BLM-injured lung cells constitutes a major endogenous danger signal that engages the P2X(7) receptor/pannexin-1 axis, leading to IL-1? maturation and lung fibrosis. ..
- Eltom S, Stevenson C, Rastrick J, Dale N, Raemdonck K, Wong S, et al. P2X7 receptor and caspase 1 activation are central to airway inflammation observed after exposure to tobacco smoke. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e24097 pubmed publisher..Mice were exposed to CS twice a day to induce COPD-like inflammation and the role of the P2X7 receptor was investigated...
- Bianco F, Pravettoni E, Colombo A, Schenk U, Moller T, Matteoli M, et al. Astrocyte-derived ATP induces vesicle shedding and IL-1 beta release from microglia. J Immunol. 2005;174:7268-77 pubmed..Our data identify astrocyte-derived ATP as the endogenous factor responsible for microvesicle shedding in microglia and reveal the mechanisms by which astrocyte-derived ATP triggers IL-1beta release from these cells. ..
- Yuahasi K, Demasi M, Tamajusuku A, Lenz G, Sogayar M, Fornazari M, et al. Regulation of neurogenesis and gliogenesis of retinoic acid-induced P19 embryonal carcinoma cells by P2X2 and P2X7 receptors studied by RNA interference. Int J Dev Neurosci. 2012;30:91-7 pubmed publisher..We have now investigated how down-regulation of P2X2 and P2X7 receptor expression by RNA interference (RNAi) affects neural differentiation and phenotype specification of P19 ..
- Glas R, Sauter N, Schulthess F, Shu L, Oberholzer J, Maedler K. Purinergic P2X7 receptors regulate secretion of interleukin-1 receptor antagonist and beta cell function and survival. Diabetologia. 2009;52:1579-88 pubmed publisher..IL-1Ra, IL-1beta and insulin secretion, glucose tolerance and beta cell mass were studied in P2x7 (also known as P2Rx7)-knockout mice...
- Taylor S, Gonzalez Begne M, Sojka D, Richardson J, Sheardown S, Harrison S, et al. Lymphocytes from P2X7-deficient mice exhibit enhanced P2X7 responses. J Leukoc Biol. 2009;85:978-86 pubmed publisher..A potential mechanism for this tissue-specific P2X(7) expression in P2X(7)(-/-) animals is discussed, as is the implication that the immune and indeed neuronal functions of P2X(7) may have been underestimated. ..
- Mayo C, Ren R, Rich C, Stepp M, Trinkaus Randall V. Regulation by P2X7: epithelial migration and stromal organization in the cornea. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2008;49:4384-91 pubmed publisher..Loss of receptor resulted in morphologic changes in the stroma, including changes in alignment of collagen fibrils, decreased expression of collagen, and smaller fibrils with fewer PGs per fibril. ..
- Myers A, Eilertson B, Fulton S, Flynn J, Canaday D. The purinergic P2X7 receptor is not required for control of pulmonary Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection. Infect Immun. 2005;73:3192-5 pubmed..P2X7(-/-) mice controlled infection in lungs as well as wild-type mice, suggesting that the P2X7 receptor is not required for control of pulmonary M. tuberculosis infection.
- Ireland M, Noakes P, Bellingham M. P2X7-like receptor subunits enhance excitatory synaptic transmission at central synapses by presynaptic mechanisms. Neuroscience. 2004;128:269-80 pubmedRecent studies demonstrate that P2X7 receptor subunits (P2X7RS) are present at central and peripheral synapses and suggest that P2X7RS can regulate transmitter release...
- Müller T, Vieira R, Grimm M, Dürk T, Cicko S, Zeiser R, et al. A potential role for P2X7R in allergic airway inflammation in mice and humans. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2011;44:456-64 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that targeting P2X?R on hematopoietic cells (e.g., DCs or eosinophils) might be a new therapeutic option for the treatment of asthma...
- Qu Y, Misaghi S, Newton K, Gilmour L, Louie S, Cupp J, et al. Pannexin-1 is required for ATP release during apoptosis but not for inflammasome activation. J Immunol. 2011;186:6553-61 pubmed publisher..Instead, thymocytes lacking pannexin-1, but not the P2X7R purinergic receptor, were defective in their uptake of the nucleic acid dye YO-PRO-1 during early apoptosis...
- Bianco F, Ceruti S, Colombo A, Fumagalli M, Ferrari D, Pizzirani C, et al. A role for P2X7 in microglial proliferation. J Neurochem. 2006;99:745-58 pubmed..Overall, our data show that the P2X(7) receptor plays an important role in controlling microglial proliferation by supporting cell cycle progression. ..
- Jarvis M, Khakh B. ATP-gated P2X cation-channels. Neuropharmacology. 2009;56:208-15 pubmed publisher..In this article we have tried to present as much information as possible in two tables in the hope this will be useful as a day-to-day resource, and also because an excellent and detailed review has recently been published. ..
- Franchi L, Kanneganti T, Dubyak G, Nunez G. Differential requirement of P2X7 receptor and intracellular K+ for caspase-1 activation induced by intracellular and extracellular bacteria. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:18810-8 pubmed..However, the roles of P2X7 receptor and intracellular K(+) in IL-1beta secretion induced by bacterial infection remain unknown...
- Jun D, Kim J, Jung S, Song R, Noh J, Park Y, et al. Extracellular ATP mediates necrotic cell swelling in SN4741 dopaminergic neurons through P2X7 receptors. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:37350-8 pubmed..Therefore, extracellular ATP release from injured tissues may act as an accelerating factor in necrotic SN4741 dopaminergic cell death via P2X(7)Rs. ..
- Qu Y, Ramachandra L, Mohr S, Franchi L, Harding C, Nunez G, et al. P2X7 receptor-stimulated secretion of MHC class II-containing exosomes requires the ASC/NLRP3 inflammasome but is independent of caspase-1. J Immunol. 2009;182:5052-62 pubmed publisherWe recently reported that P2X7 receptor (P2X7R)-induced activation of caspase-1 inflammasomes is accompanied by release of MHC class II (MHC-II) protein into extracellular compartments during brief stimulation of murine macrophages with ..
- Wilhelm K, Ganesan J, Müller T, Dürr C, Grimm M, Beilhack A, et al. Graft-versus-host disease is enhanced by extracellular ATP activating P2X7R. Nat Med. 2010;16:1434-8 pubmed publisher..These data have major implications for transplantation medicine, as pharmacological interference with danger signals that act via P2X(7)R could lead to the development of tolerance without the need for intensive immunosuppression. ..
- Lopez Castejon G, Theaker J, Pelegrin P, Clifton A, Braddock M, Surprenant A. P2X(7) receptor-mediated release of cathepsins from macrophages is a cytokine-independent mechanism potentially involved in joint diseases. J Immunol. 2010;185:2611-9 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest P2X(7)R activation may play a novel and direct role in tissue damage through release of cathepsins independently of its proinflammatory actions via IL-1 cytokines...
- Scheuplein F, Schwarz N, Adriouch S, Krebs C, Bannas P, Rissiek B, et al. NAD+ and ATP released from injured cells induce P2X7-dependent shedding of CD62L and externalization of phosphatidylserine by murine T cells. J Immunol. 2009;182:2898-908 pubmed publisher..v. injection of either the surrogate ART substrate etheno-NAD or ART2.2-inhibitory single domain Abs 10 min before sacrificing mice. ..
- Basso A, Bratcher N, Harris R, Jarvis M, Decker M, Rueter L. Behavioral profile of P2X7 receptor knockout mice in animal models of depression and anxiety: relevance for neuropsychiatric disorders. Behav Brain Res. 2009;198:83-90 pubmed publisher..These data support the relevance of pro-inflammatory cytokines in depressive-like states, and suggest that P2X(7) receptor antagonists could be of potential interest for the treatment of affective disorders. ..
- Sim J, Young M, Sung H, North R, Surprenant A. Reanalysis of P2X7 receptor expression in rodent brain. J Neurosci. 2004;24:6307-14 pubmed..The P2X7 receptor has been termed the cytolytic non-neuronal P2X receptor because it had not been detected in neurons until ..