Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Oxtr
Description: oxytocin receptor
Alias: OTR, OT-R
- A conditional knockout mouse line of the oxytocin receptorHeon Jin Lee
Section on Neural Gene Expression, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, 9000 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, MD 20892 4483, USA
Endocrinology 149:3256-63. 2008..Its receptor (Oxtr) is present in peripheral tissues and brain, so a conditional knockout (KO, -/-) would be useful to allow ..
- Oxytocin is an anabolic bone hormoneRoberto Tamma
Department of Human Anatomy and Histology, University of Bari, 70124 Bari, Italy
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:7149-54. 2009..Deletion of OT or the OT receptor (Oxtr) in male or female mice causes osteoporosis resulting from reduced bone formation...
- Oxytocin induces differentiation of P19 embryonic stem cells to cardiomyocytesJoanne Paquin
Laboratoire de Neuroendocrinologie Développementale, Département de Chimie et de Biochimie, Universite du Quebec, Montreal, QC, Canada H3C 3P8
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:9550-5. 2002We recently discovered the existence of the oxytocin/oxytocin receptor (OT/OTR) system in the heart...
- Mice heterozygous for the oxytocin receptor gene (Oxtr(+/-)) show impaired social behaviour but not increased aggression or cognitive inflexibility: evidence of a selective haploinsufficiency gene effectM Sala
Dipartimento di Biotecnologie mediche e Medicina traslazionale, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Milan, Italy
J Neuroendocrinol 25:107-18. 2013We characterised the behavioural phenotype of mice heterozygous (Oxtr(+/-)) for the oxytocin receptor gene (Oxtr) and compared it with that of Oxtr null mice (Oxtr(-/-)), which display autistic-like behaviours, including impaired ..
- Postweaning, forebrain-specific perturbation of the oxytocin system impairs fear conditioningJ H Pagani
Section on Neural Gene Expression, NIMH, NIH, DHHS, Bethesda, MD 20892 4483, USA
Genes Brain Behav 10:710-9. 2011..in three lines of transgenic mice: mice that constitutively lack vasopressin 1a (Avpr1a(-/-)) or Oxt receptors (Oxtr(-/-)) and mice that have Oxt receptor loss restricted to the forebrain that begins postweaning (Oxtr(FB/FB))...
- Relationships among estrogen receptor, oxytocin and vasopressin gene expression and social interaction in male miceG Murakami
Laboratory of Neurobiology and Behavior, The Rockefeller University, 1230 York Avenue, Box 275, New York, NY 10065, USA
Eur J Neurosci 34:469-77. 2011..Social interaction was positively correlated with: oxytocin receptor (OTR) and vasopressin receptor (V1aR) mRNA expression in the medial amygdala; and OT and AVP mRNA expression in the ..
- Oxytocin receptor knockout mice display deficits in the expression of autism-related behaviorsRoger L H Pobbe
Pacific Biosciences Research Center, University of Hawaii, 1993 East West Road, Honolulu, HI 96822, USA
Horm Behav 61:436-44. 2012A wealth of studies has implicated oxytocin (Oxt) and its receptors (Oxtr) in the mediation of social behaviors and social memory in rodents...
- Developmental experiences and the oxytocin receptor systemKaren L Bales
Dept of Psychology, One Shields Ave, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Horm Behav 61:313-9. 2012..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled Oxytocin, Vasopressin, and Social Behavior...
- Variation in maternal and anxiety-like behavior associated with discrete patterns of oxytocin and vasopressin 1a receptor density in the lateral septumJ P Curley
Columbia University, Department of Psychology, 1190 Amsterdam Avenue, Room 406 Schermerhorn Hall, New York, NY 10025, USA
Horm Behav 61:454-61. 2012..In addition, we quantified oxytocin (OTR) and vasopressin (V1a) receptor density within the lateral septum to determine the possible correlation with ..
- Heightened aggressive behavior in mice with lifelong versus postweaning knockout of the oxytocin receptorMonica B Dhakar
Laboratory of Neuroendocrinology and Behavior, Department of Biological Sciences, Kent State University, Kent, OH 44242, USA
Horm Behav 62:86-92. 2012..However, there are reports of heightened aggression in Oxt knockout and Oxt receptor (Oxtr) knockout male mice when they are born to null mutant mothers; suggesting that intrauterine exposure to Oxt may be ..
- N-acetylcysteine prevents preterm birth by attenuating the LPS-induced expression of contractile associated proteins in an animal modelEugene Y Chang
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29492, USA
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 25:2395-400. 2012..We hypothesized that N-acetylcysteine would decrease NF-κB activation and CAP expression in a MIA model for preterm birth...
- Bone marrow oxytocin mediates the anabolic action of estrogen on the skeletonGraziana Colaianni
Mount Sinai Bone Program, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York 10029, USA
J Biol Chem 287:29159-67. 2012..We show that the absence of OT receptors (OTRs) in OTR(-/-) osteoblasts or attenuation of OTR expression in silenced cells inhibits estrogen-induced osteoblast ..
- Oxytocin and the oxytocin receptor underlie intrastrain, but not interstrain, social recognitionA H Macbeth
Section on Neural Gene Expression, NIMH, NIH, DHHS, Bethesda, MD 20892 4483, USA
Genes Brain Behav 8:558-67. 2009We studied three lines of oxytocin (Oxt) and oxytocin receptor (Oxtr) knockout (KO) male mice [Oxt(-/-), total Oxtr(-/-) and partial forebrain Oxtr (Oxtr(FB/FB))] with established deficits in social recognition to further refine our ..
- Embryoid bodies from mouse stem cells express oxytocin receptor, Oct-4 and DAZLKonstantinos Stefanidis
Laboratory of Stem Cells, Division of Reproductive Medicine, Alexandra Maternity Hospital, 1st Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Medical School, N and K University of Athens, 15 Neapoleos str, Marousi, Greece
Biosystems 98:122-6. 2009..RNA was isolated from EBs and using RT-PCR we showed that EBs expressed Oct-4, OTR, OT, and DAZL...
- Oxytocin-induced analgesia and scratching are mediated by the vasopressin-1A receptor in the mouseAra Schorscher-Petcu
Department of Neurology and Neurosurgery, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec H3A 1B1, Canada
J Neurosci 30:8274-84. 2010..Here, we characterized the phenotype of oxytocin receptor (OTR) and vasopressin-1A receptor (V1AR) null mutant mice in a battery of pain assays...
- Expression and activation of the oxytocin receptor in airway smooth muscle cells: Regulation by TNFalpha and IL-13Yassine Amrani
Pulmonary, Allergy and Critical Care Division, Department of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, TRL Suite 1200, 125 South 31st Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Respir Res 11:104. 2010..The purpose of this study was to define the role of oxytocin in modulating human airway smooth muscle (HASMCs) function in the presence and absence of IL-13 and TNFalpha, cytokines known to be important in asthma...
- Oxytocin-Gly-Lys-Arg: a novel cardiomyogenic peptideBogdan A Danalache
Research Centre, Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal Hotel Dieu, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
PLoS ONE 5:e13643. 2010..we investigated whether OT-GKR exists in fetal and newborn rodent hearts, interacts with the OT receptors (OTR) and primes the generation of contracting cells expressing CM markers in P19 cells, a model for the study of early ..
- β-Arrestin mediates oxytocin receptor signaling, which regulates uterine contractility and cellular migrationChad A Grotegut
Div of Maternal Fetal Medicine, Dept of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 300:E468-77. 2011Desensitization of the oxytocin receptor (OXTR) in the setting of prolonged oxytocin exposure may lead to dysfunctional labor, which increases the risk for cesarean delivery, and uterine atony, which may result in postpartum hemorrhage...
- Oxytocin and dopamine stimulate ghrelin secretion by the ghrelin-producing cell line, MGN3-1 in vitroHiroshi Iwakura
Ghrelin Research Project, Translational Research Center, Kyoto University Hospital, Kyoto, Japan
Endocrinology 152:2619-25. 2011..These findings will provide new direction for further studies seeking to further understand the regulation of ghrelin secretion, which will in turn lead to greater understanding of the physiological role of ghrelin...
- Evidence that oxytocin exerts anxiolytic effects via oxytocin receptor expressed in serotonergic neurons in miceMasahide Yoshida
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, Graduate School of Agricultural Science, Tohoku University, Aoba ku, Sendai, Miyagi 981 8555, Japan
J Neurosci 29:2259-71. 2009..These results also have important implications for psychiatric disorders such as autism and depression in which both the oxytocin and serotonin systems have been implicated...
- Locomotor activity, ultrasonic vocalization and oxytocin levels in infant CD38 knockout miceHong Xiang Liu
Department of Biophysical Genetics, Kanazawa University Graduate School of Medicine, Kanazawa 920 8640, Japan
Neurosci Lett 448:67-70. 2008..These results showed that the reduced severity of behavioral abnormalities in CD38(-/-) pups was due to partial compensation by the high level of plasma OT...
- Structure and expression of the mouse oxytocin receptor geneY Kubota
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Osaka University Medical School, Japan
Mol Cell Endocrinol 124:25-32. 1996To determine the structure of the mouse oxytocin receptor (OTR) gene, we have screened a mouse genomic library and confirmed cDNA sequence with rapid amplification of cDNA ends...
- Opposing actions of prostaglandins and oxytocin determine the onset of murine laborG A Gross
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Washington University School of Medicine, One Children s Place, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95:11875-9. 1998..These findings demonstrate that COX-1 is essential for normal labor in the mouse, with a critical function being to overcome the luteotrophic action of oxytocin in late gestation...
- Metanephric rat-mouse chimeras to study cell lineage of the nephronL J Arend
Department of Pathology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA
Dev Genet 24:230-40. 1999..the expression of four relatively well-localized molecules--renin, Tamm-Horsfall protein (THP), oxytocin receptor (OTR), and the vasopressin type 2 receptor (V2R)--in cultured mouse-rat chimeric metanephric kidneys using reverse ..
- Agonist-specific, high-affinity binding epitopes are contributed by an arginine in the N-terminus of the human oxytocin receptorVictoria J Wesley
School of Biosciences, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 2TT, U K
Biochemistry 41:5086-92. 2002..Defining differences between the binding of agonists and antagonists to the OTR, at the molecular level, is of fundamental importance to understanding OTR activation and to rational drug design...
- Characterization of oxytocin receptors and serotonin transporters in mast cellsEdgardo Vega
Department of Pharmacology, Facultad de Ciencias Biologicas, Universidad de Concepcion, Chile
Endocrine 18:167-72. 2002..In this study, OTR and SERT were characterized in murine peritoneal mast cells by radioligand-binding studies...
- Mice lacking D5 dopamine receptors have increased sympathetic tone and are hypertensiveTom R Hollon
Molecular Neuropharmacology Section and Basic Neurosciences Program, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1406, USA
J Neurosci 22:10801-10. 2002....
- Inhibition of oxytocin receptor and estrogen receptor-alpha expression, but not relaxin receptors (LGR7), in the myometrium of late pregnant relaxin gene knockout miceAndrew L Siebel
Department of Zoology, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria 3010, Australia
Endocrinology 144:4272-5. 2003..used relaxin (RLX) gene knockout mice (Rlx-/-) to investigate the effects of RLX on myometrial oxytocin receptor (OTR) and estrogen receptor (ER)-alpha gene expression in late gestation...
- Mapping oxytocin receptor gene expression in the mouse brain and mammary gland using an oxytocin receptor-LacZ reporter mouseB R Gould
Laboratory of Molecular Endocrinology, Royal Victoria Hospital, McGill University, 687 Pine Avenue West, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3A 1A1
Neuroscience 122:155-67. 2003..hormone but can also act as a neurotransmitter and as a neuromodulator by interacting with its central OT receptor (OTR)...
- The differential coupling of oxytocin receptors to uterine contractions in murine estrous cycleMasaki Kawamata
Department of Molecular Biology, Graduate School of Agriculture, Tohoku University, Sendai 981 8555, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 321:695-9. 2004..However, the level of OT receptor (OTR) transcripts and proteins was equivalent at the two phases...
- Oxytocin and estrogen receptor expression in the myometrium of pregnant relaxin-deficient (Rlx-/-) miceAndrew L Siebel
Department of Physiology, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, 3010, Australia
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1041:104-9. 2005..used pregnant relaxin-deficient (Rlx-/-) mice to investigate the interaction between relaxin, oxytocin receptor (OTR), and estrogen receptor (ER) expression in the myometrium...
- Pervasive social deficits, but normal parturition, in oxytocin receptor-deficient miceYuki Takayanagi
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, Graduate School of Agricultural Science, Tohoku University, 1 1 Tsutsumidori Amamiyamachi, Aoba ku, Sendai, Miyagi 981 8555, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:16096-101. 2005The oxytocin receptor (OXTR) and its ligand, oxytocin (OXT), regulate reproductive physiology (i.e., parturition and lactation) and sociosexual behaviors...
- Oxytocin receptor is differentially expressed in mouse endometrium and embryo during blastocyst implantationPanagiotis Beretsos
First Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Division of Reproductive Medicine, Athens University Medical School, 50 Achaias St, 115 23, Athens, Greece
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1092:466-79. 2006The oxytocin (OT)-oxytocin receptor (OTR) system of the mammalian uterus has mainly been studied in relation to its involvement in the onset of labor...
- Oxytocin receptor-deficient mice developed late-onset obesityYuki Takayanagi
Department of Physiology, Jichi Medical University, Shimotsuke, Tochigi, Japan
Neuroreport 19:951-5. 2008..Here, we demonstrate that oxytocin receptor-deficient (Oxtr-/-) male mice exhibited late-onset obesity with increases in abdominal fat pads and fasting plasma triglycerides...
- Behavioural studies using temporal and spatial inactivation of the oxytocin receptorHeon Jin Lee
Section on Neural Gene Expression, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, DHHS, Bethesda, MD, USA
Prog Brain Res 170:73-7. 2008..In both the periphery and CNS, Oxt actions are transduced by the oxytocin receptor (Oxtr)...
- New aspects of oxytocin receptor function revealed by knockout mice: sociosexual behaviour and control of energy balanceKatsuhiko Nishimori
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, Graduate School of Agricultural Science, Tohoku University, Sendai, Miyagi, Japan
Prog Brain Res 170:79-90. 2008To further define the function of the oxytocin receptor (OXTR) in vivo, we generated mice deficient in the Oxtr gene (Oxtr-/-)...
- Heterogeneity in the third intracytoplasmic region of the oxytocin receptor-encoding geneS Kaluz
University of Nottingham, Loughborough, UK
Gene 172:313-4. 1996The oxytocin receptor (OTR), a member of the seven-transmembrane domain guanine-nucleotide-binding protein (G protein) coupled receptor family plays a central role in lactation, ovarian cyclicity and reproductive behaviour...
- Neurobiological Mechanisms of Social Bonding in a Monogamous PrimateKaren Bales; Fiscal Year: 2009..This is relevant to the study of disorders of social bonding such as autism. ..
- Neurobiological Mechanisms of Social Bonding in a Monogamous PrimateKaren L Bales; Fiscal Year: 2010..This is relevant to the study of disorders of social bonding such as autism. ..
- Mechanisims Regulation Functions of Airway Smooth MuscleYassine Amrani; Fiscal Year: 2006..Thus, understanding the transcriptional mechanisms regulating the expression of inflammatory genes in ASM will likely lead to new therapeutic approaches for the treatment of asthma. ..