Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Omp
Description: olfactory marker protein
Alias: olfactory marker protein
- Mombaerts P, Wang F, Dulac C, Chao S, Nemes A, Mendelsohn M, et al. Visualizing an olfactory sensory map. Cell. 1996;87:675-86 pubmed..This genetic approach may be more broadly applied to visualize the development and plasticity of projections in the mammalian nervous system. ..
- Takeuchi H, Inokuchi K, Aoki M, Suto F, Tsuboi A, Matsuda I, et al. Sequential arrival and graded secretion of Sema3F by olfactory neuron axons specify map topography at the bulb. Cell. 2010;141:1056-67 pubmed publisher..Sequential arrival of OSN axons as well as the graded and complementary expression of Nrp2 and Sema3F by OSNs help to form the topographic order along the D-V axis. ..
- Hirota J, Mombaerts P. The LIM-homeodomain protein Lhx2 is required for complete development of mouse olfactory sensory neurons. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:8751-5 pubmed..In Lhx2-deficient mice, the morphology of the olfactory epithelium is grossly normal. However, expression of OMP is abolished and that of GAP43 is severely reduced, indicating that no mature and few immature OSNs are produced...
- Leinders Zufall T, Ishii T, Chamero P, Hendrix P, Oboti L, Schmid A, et al. A family of nonclassical class I MHC genes contributes to ultrasensitive chemodetection by mouse vomeronasal sensory neurons. J Neurosci. 2014;34:5121-33 pubmed publisher..Thus, H2-Mv genes are not absolutely essential for the generation of physiological responses, but are required for ultrasensitive chemodetection by a subset of VSNs. ..
- Gogos J, Osborne J, Nemes A, Mendelsohn M, Axel R. Genetic ablation and restoration of the olfactory topographic map. Cell. 2000;103:609-20 pubmed..The observation that following neuronal cell killing, the spatial map is faithfully restored, demonstrates that the information necessary for the establishment of the sensory map persists throughout the life of the organism. ..
- Tian H, Ma M. Differential development of odorant receptor expression patterns in the olfactory epithelium: a quantitative analysis in the mouse septal organ. Dev Neurobiol. 2008;68:476-86 pubmed publisher..g. MOR256-3 and MOR235-1). Furthermore, early onset does not correlate with high abundance in adult. This study reveals a dynamic composition of the OSNs expressing different ORs in the developing olfactory epithelium. ..
- Balmer C, LaMantia A. Noses and neurons: induction, morphogenesis, and neuronal differentiation in the peripheral olfactory pathway. Dev Dyn. 2005;234:464-81 pubmed
- Reisert J, Yau K, Margolis F. Olfactory marker protein modulates the cAMP kinetics of the odour-induced response in cilia of mouse olfactory receptor neurons. J Physiol. 2007;585:731-40 pubmedb>Olfactory marker protein (OMP), a phylogenetically conserved protein, is highly, and almost exclusively, expressed in vertebrate olfactory receptor neurons (ORNs)...
- Kimchi T, Xu J, Dulac C. A functional circuit underlying male sexual behaviour in the female mouse brain. Nature. 2007;448:1009-14 pubmed..Moreover, they imply that functional neuronal circuits underlying male-specific behaviours exist in the normal female mouse brain. ..
- Wachowiak M, McGann J, Heyward P, Shao Z, Puche A, Shipley M. Inhibition [corrected] of olfactory receptor neuron input to olfactory bulb glomeruli mediated by suppression of presynaptic calcium influx. J Neurophysiol. 2005;94:2700-12 pubmed..This mechanism is unique among primary sensory afferents. ..
- Chamero P, Katsoulidou V, Hendrix P, Bufe B, Roberts R, Matsunami H, et al. G protein G(alpha)o is essential for vomeronasal function and aggressive behavior in mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:12898-903 pubmed publisher..We used the Cre-loxP system to delete G?o in those cells that express olfactory marker protein, which includes all vomeronasal sensory neurons of the basal layer of the VNO sensory epithelium...
- Shykind B, Rohani S, O Donnell S, Nemes A, Mendelsohn M, Sun Y, et al. Gene switching and the stability of odorant receptor gene choice. Cell. 2004;117:801-15 pubmed..This process of receptor gene switching assures that a neuron will ultimately express a functional receptor and that the choice of this receptor will remain stable for the life of the cell. ..
- Wachowiak M, Economo M, Díaz Quesada M, Brunert D, Wesson D, White J, et al. Optical dissection of odor information processing in vivo using GCaMPs expressed in specified cell types of the olfactory bulb. J Neurosci. 2013;33:5285-300 pubmed publisher..These results suggest multiple circuit elements with distinct roles in transforming odor representations in the OB and provide a framework for further study of early olfactory processing using optical and genetic tools. ..
- Bunting M, Bernstein K, Greer J, Capecchi M, Thomas K. Targeting genes for self-excision in the germ line. Genes Dev. 1999;13:1524-8 pubmed..In these chimeras, somatic cells derived from the ES cells retained the cassette, but self-excision occurred in all ES-cell-derived sperm. ..
- Cao L, Dhilla A, Mukai J, Blazeski R, Lodovichi C, Mason C, et al. Genetic modulation of BDNF signaling affects the outcome of axonal competition in vivo. Curr Biol. 2007;17:911-21 pubmed..Our results have implications for the formation and refinement of the olfactory and other sensory maps, as well as for neuropsychiatric diseases and traits modulated by the BDNF val66met variant. ..
- Chamero P, Marton T, Logan D, Flanagan K, Cruz J, Saghatelian A, et al. Identification of protein pheromones that promote aggressive behaviour. Nature. 2007;450:899-902 pubmed..Our results substantiate the idea of MUP proteins as pheromone ligands that mediate male-male aggression through the accessory olfactory neural pathway...
- Soucy E, Albeanu D, Fantana A, Murthy V, Meister M. Precision and diversity in an odor map on the olfactory bulb. Nat Neurosci. 2009;12:210-20 pubmed publisher..This local diversity of sensory tuning stands in marked distinction from other brain maps. Given the reliable placement of the glomeruli, it represents a feature, not a flaw, of the olfactory bulb. ..
- Fuss S, Omura M, Mombaerts P. The Grueneberg ganglion of the mouse projects axons to glomeruli in the olfactory bulb. Eur J Neurosci. 2005;22:2649-54 pubmed..Here, we report that neurons of the mouse GG express olfactory marker protein, which is normally expressed in mature olfactory or vomeronasal sensory neurons. The approx...
- Bozza T, McGann J, Mombaerts P, Wachowiak M. In vivo imaging of neuronal activity by targeted expression of a genetically encoded probe in the mouse. Neuron. 2004;42:9-21 pubmed..Targeted expression of synapto-pHluorin in mouse will permit the analysis of previously inaccessible neuronal populations and chronic imaging from genetically identified neurons in vivo. ..
- Li J, Ishii T, Feinstein P, Mombaerts P. Odorant receptor gene choice is reset by nuclear transfer from mouse olfactory sensory neurons. Nature. 2004;428:393-9 pubmed..Thus, M71 gene choice is irreversible but is reset upon nuclear transfer, and is not accompanied by genomic alterations. ..
- Smith P, Firestein S, Hunt J. The crystal structure of the olfactory marker protein at 2.3 A resolution. J Mol Biol. 2002;319:807-21 pubmedb>Olfactory marker protein (OMP) is a highly expressed and phylogenetically conserved cytoplasmic protein of unknown function found almost exclusively in mature olfactory sensory neurons...
- Clowney E, LeGros M, Mosley C, Clowney F, Markenskoff Papadimitriou E, Myllys M, et al. Nuclear aggregation of olfactory receptor genes governs their monogenic expression. Cell. 2012;151:724-737 pubmed publisher..Our observations propose spatial sequestering of heterochromatinized OR family members as a basis of monogenic and monoallelic gene expression. ..
- Ivic L, Pyrski M, Margolis J, Richards L, Firestein S, Margolis F. Adenoviral vector-mediated rescue of the OMP-null phenotype in vivo. Nat Neurosci. 2000;3:1113-20 pubmed..Here we used an adenoviral vector to replace the olfactory marker protein (OMP) gene in olfactory receptor neurons of adult OMP-null mice and demonstrated the subsequent re-..
- Bulfone A, Wang F, Hevner R, Anderson S, Cutforth T, Chen S, et al. An olfactory sensory map develops in the absence of normal projection neurons or GABAergic interneurons. Neuron. 1998;21:1273-82 pubmed..These observations suggest that the establishment of a topographic map is not dependent upon cues provided by, or synapse formation with, the major neuronal cell types in the olfactory bulb. ..
- Cheng N, Cai H, Belluscio L. In vivo olfactory model of APP-induced neurodegeneration reveals a reversible cell-autonomous function. J Neurosci. 2011;31:13699-704 pubmed publisher..Thus, we propose that this unique in vivo model will not only help determine the mechanisms underlying AD-related neurodegeneration but also serve as a platform to test possible treatments. ..
- Ma L, Qiu Q, Gradwohl S, Scott A, Yu E, Alexander R, et al. Distributed representation of chemical features and tunotopic organization of glomeruli in the mouse olfactory bulb. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:5481-6 pubmed publisher..This tunotopic arrangement provides a framework to understand the spatial organization of the glomeruli that conforms to the organizational principle found in other sensory systems. ..
- Buiakova O, Krishna N, Getchell T, Margolis F. Human and rodent OMP genes: conservation of structural and regulatory motifs and cellular localization. Genomics. 1994;20:452-62 pubmedImmunocytochemical analysis has demonstrated that expression of the olfactory marker protein (OMP) is highly restricted to mature olfactory receptor neurons in virtually all vertebrate species from fish to man...
- Kwon H, Koo J, Zufall F, Leinders Zufall T, Margolis F. Ca extrusion by NCX is compromised in olfactory sensory neurons of OMP mice. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e4260 pubmed publisherThe role of olfactory marker protein (OMP), a hallmark of mature olfactory sensory neurons (OSNs), has been poorly understood since its discovery...
- Miesenbock G, De Angelis D, Rothman J. Visualizing secretion and synaptic transmission with pH-sensitive green fluorescent proteins. Nature. 1998;394:192-5 pubmed..When linked to a vesicle membrane protein, pHluorins were sorted to secretory and synaptic vesicles and reported transmission at individual synaptic boutons, as well as secretion and fusion pore 'flicker' of single secretory granules. ..
- Guillemot F, Lo L, Johnson J, Auerbach A, Anderson D, Joyner A. Mammalian achaete-scute homolog 1 is required for the early development of olfactory and autonomic neurons. Cell. 1993;75:463-76 pubmed..These observations suggest that Mash-1, like its Drosophila homologs of the AS-C, controls a basic operation in development of neuronal progenitors in distinct neural lineages. ..
- Yu C, Power J, Barnea G, O Donnell S, Brown H, Osborne J, et al. Spontaneous neural activity is required for the establishment and maintenance of the olfactory sensory map. Neuron. 2004;42:553-66 pubmed..These studies suggest that spontaneous neural activity is required for the establishment and maintenance of the precise connectivity inherent in an olfactory sensory map. ..
- St John J, Key B. Olfactory marker protein modulates primary olfactory axon overshooting in the olfactory bulb. J Comp Neurol. 2005;488:61-9 pubmedb>Olfactory marker protein (OMP) is expressed by mature primary olfactory sensory neurons during development and in adult mice...
- Col J, Matsuo T, Storm D, Rodriguez I. Adenylyl cyclase-dependent axonal targeting in the olfactory system. Development. 2007;134:2481-9 pubmed..This mechanism probably involves the regulation of receptor genes known to be crucial in axonal guidance processes. ..
- McGann J, Pírez N, Gainey M, Muratore C, Elias A, Wachowiak M. Odorant representations are modulated by intra- but not interglomerular presynaptic inhibition of olfactory sensory neurons. Neuron. 2005;48:1039-53 pubmed..This organization allows for control of input sensitivity while maintaining the spatial maps of glomerular activity thought to encode odorant identity. ..
- Koo J, Gill S, Pannell L, Menco B, Margolis J, Margolis F. The interaction of Bex and OMP reveals a dimer of OMP with a short half-life. J Neurochem. 2004;90:102-16 pubmedb>Olfactory marker protein (OMP) participates in the olfactory signal transduction pathway...
- Henion T, Faden A, Knott T, Schwarting G. ?3GnT2 maintains adenylyl cyclase-3 signaling and axon guidance molecule expression in the olfactory epithelium. J Neurosci. 2011;31:6576-86 pubmed publisher..We propose that the loss of cAMP-dependent guidance cues is also a critical factor in the severe axon guidance defects observed in ?3GnT2(-/-) mice. ..
- Prince J, Cho J, Dumontier E, Andrews W, Cutforth T, Tessier Lavigne M, et al. Robo-2 controls the segregation of a portion of basal vomeronasal sensory neuron axons to the posterior region of the accessory olfactory bulb. J Neurosci. 2009;29:14211-22 pubmed publisher..Together, these results identify Robo-2 as a receptor that controls the targeting of basal VSN axons to the posterior AOB. ..
- Smear M, Shusterman R, O Connor R, Bozza T, Rinberg D. Perception of sniff phase in mouse olfaction. Nature. 2011;479:397-400 pubmed publisher..Our work provides evidence that the mammalian olfactory system can read temporal patterns, and suggests that timing of activity relative to sampling behaviour is a potent cue that may enable accurate olfactory percepts to form quickly. ..
- Behrens M, Margolis J, Margolis F. Identification of members of the Bex gene family as olfactory marker protein (OMP) binding partners. J Neurochem. 2003;86:1289-96 pubmedb>Olfactory marker protein (OMP) expression is a hallmark of mature vertebrate olfactory receptor neurons (ORNs). Evidence for OMP function derives from altered behavioral and electrophysiological activities of OMP-KO mice...
- He J, Ma L, Kim S, Nakai J, Yu C. Encoding gender and individual information in the mouse vomeronasal organ. Science. 2008;320:535-8 pubmed publisher..In contrast to gender, strain and individual information was encoded by the combinatorial activation of neurons such that urine from different individuals activated distinctive cell populations...
- Buiakova O, Baker H, Scott J, Farbman A, Kream R, Grillo M, et al. Olfactory marker protein (OMP) gene deletion causes altered physiological activity of olfactory sensory neurons. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:9858-63 pubmedb>Olfactory marker protein (OMP) is an abundant, phylogentically conserved, cytoplasmic protein of unknown function expressed almost exclusively in mature olfactory sensory neurons...
- Cho J, Kam J, Cloutier J. Slits and Robo-2 regulate the coalescence of subsets of olfactory sensory neuron axons within the ventral region of the olfactory bulb. Dev Biol. 2012;371:269-79 pubmed publisher..express Robo-2, coalesce into glomeruli more ventrally and form additional glomeruli in the OB of robo-2(lox/lox);OMP-Cre mice...
- Storace D, Cohen L. Measuring the olfactory bulb input-output transformation reveals a contribution to the perception of odorant concentration invariance. Nat Commun. 2017;8:81 pubmed publisher..By measuring and comparing olfactory bulb outputs to inputs, the authors show that the olfactory bulb participates in generating the perception of odorant concentration invariance. ..
- Sadrian B, Cheng T, Shull O, Gong Q. Rap1gap2 regulates axon outgrowth in olfactory sensory neurons. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2012;50:272-82 pubmed publisher..These results indicate an important role of Rap1gap2 in OSN axon growth dynamics during early postnatal development. ..
- Li F, Ponissery Saidu S, Yee K, Wang H, Chen M, Iguchi N, et al. Heterotrimeric G protein subunit G?13 is critical to olfaction. J Neurosci. 2013;33:7975-84 pubmed publisher..we generated a conditional gene knock-out mouse line to specifically nullify G?13 expression in the olfactory marker protein-expressing OSNs...
- Prince J, Brignall A, Cutforth T, Shen K, Cloutier J. Kirrel3 is required for the coalescence of vomeronasal sensory neuron axons into glomeruli and for male-male aggression. Development. 2013;140:2398-408 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results indicate that differential expression of Kirrels on vomeronasal axons generates a molecular code that dictates their proper coalescence into glomeruli within the AOB. ..
- Colquitt B, Allen W, Barnea G, Lomvardas S. Alteration of genic 5-hydroxymethylcytosine patterning in olfactory neurons correlates with changes in gene expression and cell identity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:14682-7 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest a physiologically significant role for gene-body 5hmC in transcriptional facilitation and the maintenance of cellular identity independent of its function as an intermediate to demethylation. ..
- Camoletto P, Colesanti A, Ozon S, Sobel A, Fasolo A. Expression of stathmin and SCG10 proteins in the olfactory neurogenesis during development and after lesion in the adulthood. Brain Res Bull. 2001;54:19-28 pubmed
- Lorenzon P, Redolfi N, Podolsky M, Zamparo I, Franchi S, Pietra G, et al. Circuit formation and function in the olfactory bulb of mice with reduced spontaneous afferent activity. J Neurosci. 2015;35:146-60 pubmed publisher..e., coarser) status. Our data suggest that spontaneous activity plays a critical role not only in the development but also in the maintenance of the topography of the olfactory bulb and in sensory information processing. ..
- Katsunuma S, Honda H, Shinoda T, Ishimoto Y, Miyata T, Kiyonari H, et al. Synergistic action of nectins and cadherins generates the mosaic cellular pattern of the olfactory epithelium. J Cell Biol. 2016;212:561-75 pubmed publisher..Collectively, the synergistic action of nectins and cadherins generates mosaic pattern, which cannot be achieved by a single mechanism. ..
- Riera C, Tsaousidou E, Halloran J, Follett P, Hahn O, Pereira M, et al. The Sense of Smell Impacts Metabolic Health and Obesity. Cell Metab. 2017;26:198-211.e5 pubmed publisher..These findings unravel a new bidirectional function for the olfactory system in controlling energy homeostasis in response to sensory and hormonal signals. ..
- Cheng T, Gong Q. Secreted TARSH regulates olfactory mitral cell dendritic complexity. Eur J Neurosci. 2009;29:1083-95 pubmed publisher..Dendritic morphological changes were also observed in mitral cells overexpressing TARSH themselves. We propose that TARSH is part of the genetic program that regulates mitral cell dendritic refinement. ..