Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Olfr160
Description: olfactory receptor 160
Alias: M72, MOR171-3, Olfr7b, olfactory receptor 160, GA_x6K02T2PVTD-31389446-31388517, olfactory receptor 7b, olfactory receptor MOR171-3
- Liu Z, Chen Z, Shang C, Yan F, Shi Y, Zhang J, et al. IGF1-Dependent Synaptic Plasticity of Mitral Cells in Olfactory Memory during Social Learning. Neuron. 2017;95:106-122.e5 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data reveal a synaptic substrate for a socially conditioned long-term memory that operates at the level of the initial processing of sensory information. ..
- Persson L, Witt R, Galligan M, Greer P, Eisner A, Pazyra Murphy M, et al. Shh-proteoglycan interactions regulate maturation of olfactory glomerular circuitry. Dev Neurobiol. 2014;74:1255-67 pubmed publisher..Thus, Shh interactions with proteoglycan co-receptors function at multiple locations to regulate neurogenesis and precise olfactory connectivity, thereby promoting functional neuronal circuitry. ..
- Zhang J, Huang G, Dewan A, Feinstein P, Bozza T. Uncoupling stimulus specificity and glomerular position in the mouse olfactory system. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2012;51:79-88 pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrate that the two functions of odorant receptors can be uncoupled, indicating that the mechanisms that map olfactory sensory inputs to glomeruli do so without regard to stimulus specificity. ..
- Bennett M, Kulaga H, Reed R. Odor-evoked gene regulation and visualization in olfactory receptor neurons. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2010;43:353-62 pubmed publisher..In stable odorant environments, activity-regulated proteins provide a characteristic signature that is correlated with the olfactory receptor they express. ..
- Degano A, Pasterkamp R, Ronnett G. MeCP2 deficiency disrupts axonal guidance, fasciculation, and targeting by altering Semaphorin 3F function. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2009;42:243-54 pubmed publisher..These findings have broad implications for the role of MECP2 in neurodevelopment and RTT, given the critical role of the semaphorins in the formation of neural circuits. ..
- Hasegawa S, Hamada S, Kumode Y, Esumi S, Katori S, Fukuda E, et al. The protocadherin-alpha family is involved in axonal coalescence of olfactory sensory neurons into glomeruli of the olfactory bulb in mouse. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2008;38:66-79 pubmed publisher..Many M71 glomeruli, but apparently not MOR23 glomeruli, are heterogeneous in axonal innervation. Thus, Pcdha molecules are involved in coalescence of OSN axons into OR-specific glomeruli of the olfactory bulb. ..
- Miller A, Maurer L, Zou D, Firestein S, Greer C. Axon fasciculation in the developing olfactory nerve. Neural Dev. 2010;5:20 pubmed publisher..While regional segregation occurs in the mesenchyme, the final convergence of OR-specific subpopulations does not occur until the axons reach the inner nerve layer of the OB...
- Hirota J, Mombaerts P. The LIM-homeodomain protein Lhx2 is required for complete development of mouse olfactory sensory neurons. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:8751-5 pubmed..OSN development appears to be arrested between the terminal differentiation into neurons and the transition to immature neurons. Thus, Lhx2 is required for complete development of OSNs in mice. ..
- Lineburg K, Amaya D, Ekberg J, Chehrehasa F, Mackay Sim A, Martin P, et al. The carbohydrate CT1 is expressed in topographically fixed glomeruli in the mouse olfactory bulb. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2011;48:9-19 pubmed publisher..Fourth, a single CT1 glomerulus was always apposed to the glomeruli innervated by axons expressing the M72 odorant receptor...
- Pacifico R, Dewan A, Cawley D, Guo C, Bozza T. An olfactory subsystem that mediates high-sensitivity detection of volatile amines. Cell Rep. 2012;2:76-88 pubmed publisher..Our data uncover a hard-wired, parallel input stream in the main olfactory pathway that is specialized for the detection of volatile amines...
- Assens A, Dal Col J, Njoku A, Dietschi Q, Kan C, Feinstein P, et al. Alteration of Nrp1 signaling at different stages of olfactory neuron maturation promotes glomerular shifts along distinct axes in the olfactory bulb. Development. 2016;143:3817-3825 pubmed..We observed, in neurons that express the M71 or M72 odorant receptors, that Nrp1 inactivation leads to two distinct wiring alterations, depending on the time at which ..
- Smear M, Resulaj A, Zhang J, Bozza T, Rinberg D. Multiple perceptible signals from a single olfactory glomerulus. Nat Neurosci. 2013;16:1687-91 pubmed publisher..These multiple modes of information transmission may enable the olfactory system to efficiently identify and localize odor sources. ..
- Maurya D, Bohm S, Alenius M. Hedgehog signaling regulates ciliary localization of mouse odorant receptors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017;114:E9386-E9394 pubmed publisher..These findings both define a physiological function of Hedgehog signaling in olfaction and provide an important evolutionary link between olfaction and the requirement of a ciliary compartment for Hedgehog signaling. ..
- Liu A, Urban N. Prenatal and Early Postnatal Odorant Exposure Heightens Odor-Evoked Mitral Cell Responses in the Mouse Olfactory Bulb. Eneuro. 2017;4: pubmed publisher..However, we find that early food-based odorant exposure significantly changes MC responses in an unexpected way, resulting in broad increases in the amplitude, number, and reliability of excitatory MC responses across the dorsal OB. ..
- Bressel O, Khan M, Mombaerts P. Linear correlation between the number of olfactory sensory neurons expressing a given mouse odorant receptor gene and the total volume of the corresponding glomeruli in the olfactory bulb. J Comp Neurol. 2016;524:199-209 pubmed publisher..We found a strong linear correlation between OSN number and TGV, suggesting that TGV can be used as a surrogate measurement for estimating OSN numbers in these gene-targeted strains. ..
- Roby Y, Bushey M, Cheng L, Kulaga H, Lee S, Reed R. Zfp423/OAZ mutation reveals the importance of Olf/EBF transcription activity in olfactory neuronal maturation. J Neurosci. 2012;32:13679-88a pubmed publisher..BMP signaling pathways, if they are active in normal adult olfactory epithelium, may play a minor role in this tissue. ..
- Billig G, Pál B, Fidzinski P, Jentsch T. Ca2+-activated Cl? currents are dispensable for olfaction. Nat Neurosci. 2011;14:763-9 pubmed publisher..In contrast with the current view, cyclic nucleotide-gated cation channels do not need a boost by Cl(-) channels to achieve near-physiological levels of olfaction...
- Biju K, Marks D, Mast T, Fadool D. Deletion of voltage-gated channel affects glomerular refinement and odorant receptor expression in the mouse olfactory system. J Comp Neurol. 2008;506:161-79 pubmed..a "super-smeller" phenotype, alters synaptic refinement of axonal projections from OSNs expressing P2, M72, and MOR28 ORs. Absence of Kv1...
- Coleman J, Lin B, Schwob J. Dissecting LSD1-Dependent Neuronal Maturation in the Olfactory Epithelium. J Comp Neurol. 2017;525:3391-3413 pubmed publisher..Thus, this study clarifies the role of LSD1 in olfactory neuronal maturation. ..
- Mobley A, Miller A, Araneda R, Maurer L, Muller F, Greer C. Hyperpolarization-activated cyclic nucleotide-gated channels in olfactory sensory neurons regulate axon extension and glomerular formation. J Neurosci. 2010;30:16498-508 pubmed publisher..These data support the hypothesis that the outgrowth and coalescence of OSN axons is, at least in part, subject to activity-dependent mechanisms mediated via HCN channels. ..
- Burton S, Urban N. Greater excitability and firing irregularity of tufted cells underlies distinct afferent-evoked activity of olfactory bulb mitral and tufted cells. J Physiol. 2014;592:2097-118 pubmed publisher..Collectively, stronger afferent-evoked excitation, greater intrinsic excitability and more irregular firing in tufted cells can combine to drive distinct responses of mitral and tufted cells to afferent-evoked input. ..
- Blanco Hernández E, Valle Leija P, Zomosa Signoret V, Drucker Colín R, Vidaltamayo R. Odor memory stability after reinnervation of the olfactory bulb. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e46338 pubmed publisher..methimazole and followed the anatomical and functional recovery of circuits expressing genetic markers for I7 and M72 receptors (M72-IRES-tau-LacZ and I7-IRES-tau-GFP)...
- Cheng L, Reed R. Zfp423/OAZ participates in a developmental switch during olfactory neurogenesis. Neuron. 2007;54:547-57 pubmed..Together, these experiments suggest that OAZ participates in a developmental switch regulating the transition from differentiation to maturation in ORNs. ..
- Plessy C, Pascarella G, Bertin N, Akalin A, Carrieri C, Vassalli A, et al. Promoter architecture of mouse olfactory receptor genes. Genome Res. 2012;22:486-97 pubmed publisher..Finally, we showed that a short genomic fragment flanking the major TSS of the OR gene Olfr160 (M72) can drive OSN-specific expression in transgenic mice.
- Wang S, Lewcock J, Feinstein P, Mombaerts P, Reed R. Genetic disruptions of O/E2 and O/E3 genes reveal involvement in olfactory receptor neuron projection. Development. 2004;131:1377-88 pubmed..We suggest that a decreased dose of O/E protein may alter expression of O/E target genes and underlie the ORN projection defect. ..
- Cavallin M, Powell K, Biju K, Fadool D. State-dependent sculpting of olfactory sensory neurons is attributed to sensory enrichment, odor deprivation, and aging. Neurosci Lett. 2010;483:90-5 pubmed publisher..by examining the impact of (1) odor enrichment, (2) sensory deprivation, and (3) aging upon the number of P2- or M72-expressing neurons...
- Henion T, Raitcheva D, Grosholz R, Biellmann F, Skarnes W, Hennet T, et al. Beta1,3-N-acetylglucosaminyltransferase 1 glycosylation is required for axon pathfinding by olfactory sensory neurons. J Neurosci. 2005;25:1894-903 pubmed..Axon guidance errors and increased neuronal cell death result in an absence of P2, I7, and M72 glomeruli, indicating a reduction in the repertoire of odorant receptor-specific glomeruli...
- Lee W, Yun J, Woods R, Dunaway K, Yasui D, LaSalle J, et al. MeCP2 regulates activity-dependent transcriptional responses in olfactory sensory neurons. Hum Mol Genet. 2014;23:6366-74 pubmed publisher..Thus, MeCP2 is required for both circuitry refinement and activity-dependent transcriptional responses in OSNs. ..