Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Nrxn3
Description: neurexin III
Alias: neurexin 3, neurexin-3-alpha
- Tabuchi K, Sudhof T. Structure and evolution of neurexin genes: insight into the mechanism of alternative splicing. Genomics. 2002;79:849-59 pubmed..Consistent with their proposed role in synapse specification, neurexins thus have evolved from relatively simple genes in invertebrates to diversified genes in vertebrates with multiple promoters and extensive alternative splicing. ..
- Puschel A, Betz H. Neurexins are differentially expressed in the embryonic nervous system of mice. J Neurosci. 1995;15:2849-56 pubmed..These expression profiles are consistent with the hypothesis that the neurexins have a function in early neuronal differentiation and axogenesis. ..
- Sons M, Busche N, Strenzke N, Moser T, Ernsberger U, Mooren F, et al. alpha-Neurexins are required for efficient transmitter release and synaptic homeostasis at the mouse neuromuscular junction. Neuroscience. 2006;138:433-46 pubmed..Our data suggest that alpha-neurexins are required for efficient neurotransmitter release at neuromuscular junctions, and that they may perform a role in the molecular mechanism of synaptic homeostasis at these peripheral synapses. ..
- Geppert M, Khvotchev M, Krasnoperov V, Goda Y, Missler M, Hammer R, et al. Neurexin I alpha is a major alpha-latrotoxin receptor that cooperates in alpha-latrotoxin action. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:1705-10 pubmed
- Andres C, Beeri R, Friedman A, Lev Lehman E, Henis S, Timberg R, et al. Acetylcholinesterase-transgenic mice display embryonic modulations in spinal cord choline acetyltransferase and neurexin Ibeta gene expression followed by late-onset neuromotor deterioration. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:8173-8 pubmed
- Chen L, Jiang M, Zhang B, Gokce O, SÃ¼dhof T. Conditional Deletion of All Neurexins Defines Diversity of Essential Synaptic Organizer Functions for Neurexins. Neuron. 2017;94:611-625.e4 pubmed publisher..Thus, neurexins function primarily as context-dependent specifiers of synapses. ..
- Sato Y, Suzuki S, Iijima Y, Iijima T. Neuroligin-induced presynaptic differentiation through SLM2-mediated splicing modifications of neurexin in cerebellar cultures. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;493:1030-1036 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, Nrxn3 is responsible for the NL-induced assembly of GABAergic synapses in co-culture...
- Aoto J, FÃ¶ldy C, Ilcus S, Tabuchi K, SÃ¼dhof T. Distinct circuit-dependent functions of presynaptic neurexin-3 at GABAergic and glutamatergic synapses. Nat Neurosci. 2015;18:997-1007 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data indicate that neurexin-3 performs distinct essential pre- or postsynaptic functions in different brain regions by distinct mechanisms. ..
- Kelai S, Maussion G, Noble F, Boni C, Ramoz N, Moalic J, et al. Nrxn3 upregulation in the globus pallidus of mice developing cocaine addiction. Neuroreport. 2008;19:751-5 pubmed publisher..Human NRXN3 has recently been linked to several addictions...
- Missler M, Sudhof T. Neurexins: three genes and 1001 products. Trends Genet. 1998;14:20-6 pubmed..This review describes the properties of the neurexin protein family and their potential roles in neuronal cell adhesion and intercellular signaling. ..
- Dachtler J, Glasper J, Cohen R, Ivorra J, Swiffen D, Jackson A, et al. Deletion of Î±-neurexin II results in autism-related behaviors in mice. Transl Psychiatry. 2014;4:e484 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate a causal role for the loss of Nrxn2Î± in the genesis of autism-related behaviors in mice. ..
- Kattenstroth G, Tantalaki E, Sudhof T, Gottmann K, Missler M. Postsynaptic N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor function requires alpha-neurexins. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:2607-12 pubmed..Our data suggest that, in addition to the previously described presynaptic impairments, loss of alpha-neurexins induces postsynaptic changes by a cell-autonomous mechanism. ..