Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Nlgn1
Description: neuroligin 1
Alias: 6330415N05Rik, BB179718, NL1, Nlg1, mKIAA1070, neuroligin-1
- Varoqueaux F, Aramuni G, Rawson R, Mohrmann R, Missler M, Gottmann K, et al. Neuroligins determine synapse maturation and function. Neuron. 2006;51:741-54 pubmed..Our data show that neuroligins are required for proper synapse maturation and brain function, but not for the initial formation of synaptic contacts. ..
- Stan A, Pielarski K, Brigadski T, Wittenmayer N, Fedorchenko O, Gohla A, et al. Essential cooperation of N-cadherin and neuroligin-1 in the transsynaptic control of vesicle accumulation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:11116-21 pubmed publisher..This cooperation of two cell adhesion systems provides a mechanism for coupling bidirectional synapse maturation mediated by neuroligin-1 to cell type recognition processes mediated by classical cadherins. ..
- Chen S, Tari P, She K, Haas K. Neurexin-neuroligin cell adhesion complexes contribute to synaptotropic dendritogenesis via growth stabilization mechanisms in vivo. Neuron. 2010;67:967-83 pubmed publisher..neurons within intact and awake embryonic Xenopus brain, we examine roles of ?-neurexin (NRX) and neuroligin-1 (NLG1) in dendritic arbor development...
- Taniguchi H, Gollan L, Scholl F, Mahadomrongkul V, Dobler E, Limthong N, et al. Silencing of neuroligin function by postsynaptic neurexins. J Neurosci. 2007;27:2815-24 pubmed
- Chih B, Engelman H, Scheiffele P. Control of excitatory and inhibitory synapse formation by neuroligins. Science. 2005;307:1324-8 pubmed..Electrophysiological analysis revealed a predominant reduction of inhibitory synaptic function. Thus, neuroligins control the formation and functional balance of excitatory and inhibitory synapses in hippocampal neurons. ..
- Kwon H, Kozorovitskiy Y, Oh W, Peixoto R, Akhtar N, Saulnier J, et al. Neuroligin-1-dependent competition regulates cortical synaptogenesis and synapse number. Nat Neurosci. 2012;15:1667-74 pubmed publisher..We found that neuroligin-1 (NL1), which is located at excitatory postsynaptic densities, regulates activity-dependent synaptogenesis and mature ..
- Soler Llavina G, Fuccillo M, Ko J, Sudhof T, Malenka R. The neurexin ligands, neuroligins and leucine-rich repeat transmembrane proteins, perform convergent and divergent synaptic functions in vivo. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:16502-9 pubmed publisher..in vivo, we performed lentivirally mediated knockdown of NL3, LRRTM1, and LRRTM2 in CA1 pyramidal cells of WT and NL1 KO mice at postnatal day (P)0 (when synapses are forming) and P21 (when synapses are largely mature)...
- Heine M, Thoumine O, Mondin M, Tessier B, Giannone G, Choquet D. Activity-independent and subunit-specific recruitment of functional AMPA receptors at neurexin/neuroligin contacts. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:20947-52 pubmed publisher..Such rapid and activity-independent accumulation of functional AMPARs at neurexin-1beta-induced postsynapses points to a new role of AMPARs in synaptogenesis. ..
- Dahlhaus R, El Husseini A. Altered neuroligin expression is involved in social deficits in a mouse model of the fragile X syndrome. Behav Brain Res. 2010;208:96-105 pubmed publisher..These results provide for the first time evidence for an involvement of a neuroligin-neurexin protein network in core symptoms of FXS. ..
- Budreck E, Kwon O, Jung J, Baudouin S, Thommen A, Kim H, et al. Neuroligin-1 controls synaptic abundance of NMDA-type glutamate receptors through extracellular coupling. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:725-30 pubmed publisher..The cell adhesion molecule neuroligin-1 (NL1) modifies NMDAR-dependent synaptic transmission and synaptic plasticity, but it is unclear whether NL1 controls ..
- Prange O, Wong T, Gerrow K, Wang Y, El Husseini A. A balance between excitatory and inhibitory synapses is controlled by PSD-95 and neuroligin. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:13915-20 pubmed..These findings elucidate a mechanism by which the amounts of specific elements critical for synapse formation control the ratio of excitatory-to-inhibitory synaptic input. ..
- Wittenmayer N, Körber C, Liu H, Kremer T, Varoqueaux F, Chapman E, et al. Postsynaptic Neuroligin1 regulates presynaptic maturation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:13564-9 pubmed publisher..These data show that induction of presynaptic terminal assembly and maturation involve mechanistically distinct actions of Neuroligins, and that Neuroligin1 is essential for presynaptic terminal maturation. ..
- Gibson J, Huber K, Sudhof T. Neuroligin-2 deletion selectively decreases inhibitory synaptic transmission originating from fast-spiking but not from somatostatin-positive interneurons. J Neurosci. 2009;29:13883-97 pubmed publisher..Neurons express four neuroligins (NL1-NL4), of which NL1 is specific to excitatory and NL2 to inhibitory synapses...
- Peixoto R, Kunz P, Kwon H, Mabb A, Sabatini B, Philpot B, et al. Transsynaptic signaling by activity-dependent cleavage of neuroligin-1. Neuron. 2012;76:396-409 pubmed publisher..Here, we report that synaptic activity induces acute proteolytic cleavage of neuroligin-1 (NLG1), a postsynaptic adhesion molecule at glutamatergic synapses...
- Budreck E, Scheiffele P. Neuroligin-3 is a neuronal adhesion protein at GABAergic and glutamatergic synapses. Eur J Neurosci. 2007;26:1738-48 pubmed..Neuroligins (NL1-4) are a family of presumptive postsynaptic cell adhesion molecules...
- Dean C, Scholl F, Choih J, DeMaria S, Berger J, Isacoff E, et al. Neurexin mediates the assembly of presynaptic terminals. Nat Neurosci. 2003;6:708-16 pubmed..In response to this clustering, neurexins nucleate the assembly of a cytoplasmic scaffold to which the exocytotic apparatus is recruited. ..
- Biederer T, Sara Y, Mozhayeva M, Atasoy D, Liu X, Kavalali E, et al. SynCAM, a synaptic adhesion molecule that drives synapse assembly. Science. 2002;297:1525-31 pubmed
- Bang M, Owczarek S. A matter of balance: role of neurexin and neuroligin at the synapse. Neurochem Res. 2013;38:1174-89 pubmed publisher..Here, we review the most recent results regarding the structure and function of these cell adhesion molecules. ..
- Xu J, Xia Q, Xia J. A review on the current neuroligin mouse models. Sheng Li Xue Bao. 2012;64:550-62 pubmed
- Schnell E, Bensen A, Washburn E, Westbrook G. Neuroligin-1 overexpression in newborn granule cells in vivo. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e48045 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that neuroligin-1 expression selectively increases the degree, but not the onset, of excitatory synapse formation in adult-born neurons. ..
- Crawley J. Translational animal models of autism and neurodevelopmental disorders. Dialogues Clin Neurosci. 2012;14:293-305 pubmed..The field is now poised to employ the most robust phenotypes in the most replicable mouse models for preclinical screening of novel therapeutics. ..
- Gilbert M, Smith J, Roskams A, Auld V. Neuroligin 3 is a vertebrate gliotactin expressed in the olfactory ensheathing glia, a growth-promoting class of macroglia. Glia. 2001;34:151-64 pubmed
- Chanda S, Hale W, Zhang B, Wernig M, Sudhof T. Unique versus Redundant Functions of Neuroligin Genes in Shaping Excitatory and Inhibitory Synapse Properties. J Neurosci. 2017;37:6816-6836 pubmed publisher..e., NL1, NL2, and NL3), either individually or in combinations, in cultured mouse hippocampal and cortical neurons...
- Chamma I, Letellier M, Butler C, Tessier B, Lim K, Gauthereau I, et al. Mapping the dynamics and nanoscale organization of synaptic adhesion proteins using monomeric streptavidin. Nat Commun. 2016;7:10773 pubmed publisher..decipher the dynamics and nanoscale organization of the synaptic adhesion molecules neurexin-1Î², neuroligin-1 (Nlg1) and leucine-rich-repeat transmembrane protein 2 (LRRTM2) in a dual-colour configuration with GFP nanobody, and ..
- Samarelli A, Riccitelli E, Bizzozero L, Silveira T, Seano G, Pergolizzi M, et al. Neuroligin 1 induces blood vessel maturation by cooperating with the ?6 integrin. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:19466-76 pubmed publisherThe synaptic protein Neuroligin 1 (NLGN1), a cell adhesion molecule, is critical for the formation and consolidation of synaptic connectivity and is involved in vascular development...
- Wentzel C, Sommer J, Nair R, Stiefvater A, Sibarita J, Scheiffele P. mSYD1A, a mammalian synapse-defective-1 protein, regulates synaptogenic signaling and vesicle docking. Neuron. 2013;78:1012-23 pubmed publisher..Thus, mSYD1A is a regulator of presynaptic release sites at central synapses. ..
- Chen X, Liu H, Shim A, Focia P, He X. Structural basis for synaptic adhesion mediated by neuroligin-neurexin interactions. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2008;15:50-6 pubmed..We report a structure of the complex at a resolution of 2.4 A between the mouse neuroligin-1 (NL1) cholinesterase-like domain and the mouse neurexin-1beta (NX1beta) LNS (laminin, neurexin and sex hormone-binding ..
- Sato Y, Suzuki S, Iijima Y, Iijima T. Neuroligin-induced presynaptic differentiation through SLM2-mediated splicing modifications of neurexin in cerebellar cultures. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;493:1030-1036 pubmed publisher..gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA)-ergic synapses in the cerebellum, we evaluated the synaptogenic receptor activity of NL1/2/3 isoforms in a neuron-fibroblast co-culture system, in which the Nrxn AS4 segments are manipulated using SLM2, a ..
- Owczarek S, Bang M, Berezin V. Neurexin-Neuroligin Synaptic Complex Regulates Schizophrenia-Related DISC1/Kal-7/Rac1 "Signalosome". Neural Plast. 2015;2015:167308 pubmed publisher..We also show that NL1 binds to a well-characterized DISC1 interaction partner, Kal-7, and this interaction can be compromised by DISC1...
- Hu X, Luo J, Xu J. The interplay between synaptic activity and neuroligin function in the CNS. Biomed Res Int. 2015;2015:498957 pubmed publisher..Consistent with their localization, NL1 and NL3 selectively affect excitatory synapses, whereas NL2 specifically affects inhibitory synapses...
- Olsen O, Moore K, Fukata M, Kazuta T, Trinidad J, Kauer F, et al. Neurotransmitter release regulated by a MALS-liprin-alpha presynaptic complex. J Cell Biol. 2005;170:1127-34 pubmed..These findings are consistent with a model whereby the MALS-CASK-liprin-alpha complex recruits components of the synaptic release machinery to adhesive proteins of the active zone. ..
- Hoy J, Haeger P, Constable J, Arias R, McCallum R, Kyweriga M, et al. Neuroligin1 drives synaptic and behavioral maturation through intracellular interactions. J Neurosci. 2013;33:9364-84 pubmed publisherIn vitro studies suggest that the intracellular C terminus of Neuroligin1 (NL1) could play a central role in the maturation of excitatory synapses...
- Burton S, Johnson J, Zeringue H, Meriney S. Distinct roles of neuroligin-1 and SynCAM1 in synapse formation and function in primary hippocampal neuronal cultures. Neuroscience. 2012;215:1-16 pubmed publisher..Despite considerable recent progress, the specific synaptic function of neuroligin-1 (NL1) remains unclear...
- Molumby M, Anderson R, Newbold D, Koblesky N, Garrett A, Schreiner D, et al. Î³-Protocadherins Interact with Neuroligin-1 and Negatively Regulate Dendritic Spine Morphogenesis. Cell Rep. 2017;18:2702-2714 pubmed publisher..negatively regulate synapse development by inhibiting the postsynaptic cell adhesion molecule, neuroligin-1 (Nlg1)...
- Brito Moreira J, Lourenco M, Oliveira M, Ribeiro F, Ledo J, Diniz L, et al. Interaction of amyloid-Î² (AÎ²) oligomers with neurexin 2Î± and neuroligin 1 mediates synapse damage and memory loss in mice. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:7327-7337 pubmed publisher..We found that AÎ²Os interact with different isoforms of Nrx and NL, including Nrx2Î± and NL1. Anti-Nrx2Î± and anti-NL1 antibodies reduced AÎ²O binding to hippocampal neurons and prevented AÎ²O-induced ..
- Pettem K, Yokomaku D, Takahashi H, Ge Y, Craig A. Interaction between autism-linked MDGAs and neuroligins suppresses inhibitory synapse development. J Cell Biol. 2013;200:321-36 pubmed publisher..These results also place MDGAs in the neurexin-neuroligin synaptic pathway implicated in neurodevelopmental disorders and support the idea that an imbalance between inhibitory and excitatory synapses may contribute to these disorders...
- Bottos A, Destro E, Rissone A, Graziano S, Cordara G, Assenzio B, et al. The synaptic proteins neurexins and neuroligins are widely expressed in the vascular system and contribute to its functions. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:20782-7 pubmed publisher..Our finding strongly supports the idea that even the most complex and plastic events taking place in the nervous system (i.e., synaptic activity) share molecular cues with the vascular system...
- Gkogkas C, Khoutorsky A, Ran I, Rampakakis E, Nevarko T, Weatherill D, et al. Autism-related deficits via dysregulated eIF4E-dependent translational control. Nature. 2013;493:371-7 pubmed publisher..Pharmacological inhibition of eIF4E activity or normalization of neuroligin 1, but not neuroligin 2, protein levels restores the normal excitation/inhibition ratio and rectifies the social ..
- MaÄ‡kowiak M, Mordalska P, WÄ™dzony K. Neuroligins, synapse balance and neuropsychiatric disorders. Pharmacol Rep. 2014;66:830-5 pubmed publisher..Four neuroligin proteins have been identified (neuroligin 1, 2, 3, 4), which are differentially enriched in the postsynaptic specialisation of synapses...
- Lisé M, el Husseini A. The neuroligin and neurexin families: from structure to function at the synapse. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2006;63:1833-49 pubmed..The implication of neuroligins in cognitive disorders such as autism and mental retardation is also discussed. ..
- Nakanishi M, Nomura J, Ji X, Tamada K, Arai T, Takahashi E, et al. Functional significance of rare neuroligin 1 variants found in autism. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006940 pubmed publisher..In humans, NLGNs consist of five family members, and neuroligin1 (NLGN1) is a major component forming a complex on excitatory glutamatergic synapses...
- Kazdoba T, Leach P, Crawley J. Behavioral phenotypes of genetic mouse models of autism. Genes Brain Behav. 2016;15:7-26 pubmed publisher..Robust, replicated autism-relevant behavioral outcomes in a genetic mouse model lend credence to a causal role for specific gene contributions and downstream biological mechanisms in the etiology of autism. ..
- Zhang B, Sudhof T. Neuroligins Are Selectively Essential for NMDAR Signaling in Cerebellar Stellate Interneurons. J Neurosci. 2016;36:9070-83 pubmed publisher..Parallel analyses in PV-Cre/NL1 mice that are single NL1 cKO mice uncovered the same phenotype, demonstrating that NL1 is responsible for ..
- Zhang B, Chen L, Liu X, Maxeiner S, Lee S, Gokce O, et al. Neuroligins Sculpt Cerebellar Purkinje-Cell Circuits by Differential Control of Distinct Classes of Synapses. Neuron. 2015;87:781-96 pubmed publisher..Using systematic analyses of all neuroligins in a defined neural circuit, our data thus show that neuroligins differentially contribute to various Purkinje-cell synapses in the cerebellum inÂ vivo. ..
- Liu A, Zhou Z, Dang R, Zhu Y, Qi J, He G, et al. Neuroligin 1 regulates spines and synaptic plasticity via LIMK1/cofilin-mediated actin reorganization. J Cell Biol. 2016;212:449-63 pubmed publisher..It is known that at least some aspects of NLG1 function are independent of the presynaptic neurexin, suggesting that the C-terminal domain (CTD) of NLG1 may be ..
- Tanabe Y, Naito Y, Vasuta C, Lee A, Soumounou Y, Linhoff M, et al. IgSF21 promotes differentiation of inhibitory synapses via binding to neurexin2?. Nat Commun. 2017;8:408 pubmed publisher..Here the authors show that IgSF21 interacts with neurexin2? to induce presynaptic differentiation of inhibitory synapses, and that mice lacking IgSF21 exhibit deficits in inhibitory synaptic transmission. ..
- Krzisch M, Fülling C, Jabinet L, Armida J, Gebara E, Cassé F, et al. Synaptic Adhesion Molecules Regulate the Integration of New Granule Neurons in the Postnatal Mouse Hippocampus and their Impact on Spatial Memory. Cereb Cortex. 2017;27:4048-4059 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, they suggest that the mechanisms by which new neurons integrate in the postnatal hippocampus conditions their functional implication in learning and memory. ..
- Bemben M, Shipman S, Nicoll R, Roche K. The cellular and molecular landscape of neuroligins. Trends Neurosci. 2015;38:496-505 pubmed publisher..Finally, we examine evidence concerning the physiological functions of neuroligin in a cell and highlight areas requiring further investigation. ..
- Joo J, Lee S, Uemura T, Yoshida T, Yasumura M, Watanabe M, et al. Differential interactions of cerebellin precursor protein (Cbln) subtypes and neurexin variants for synapse formation of cortical neurons. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2011;406:627-32 pubmed publisher..When compared with neuroligin 1, Cbln1 and Cbln2 induced preferentially inhibitory presynaptic differentiation rather than excitatory one in ..
- Wilson P, Fryer R, Fang Y, Hatten M. Astn2, a novel member of the astrotactin gene family, regulates the trafficking of ASTN1 during glial-guided neuronal migration. J Neurosci. 2010;30:8529-40 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings suggest that ASTN2 regulates the levels of ASTN1 in the plasma membrane and that the release of neuronal adhesions to the glial fiber during neuronal locomotion involves the intracellular trafficking of ASTN1. ..
- TristÃ¡n Clavijo E, Camacho Garcia R, Robles Lanuza E, Ruiz A, van der Zee J, Van Broeckhoven C, et al. A truncating mutation in Alzheimer's disease inactivates neuroligin-1 synaptic function. Neurobiol Aging. 2015;36:3171-3175 pubmed publisherNeuroligins (NLs) are cell-adhesion proteins that regulate synapse formation and function. Neuroligin 1 (NL1) promotes the formation of glutamatergic synapses and mediates long-term potentiation in mouse models...
- Bélanger Nelson E, Freyburger M, Pouliot P, Beaumont E, Lesage F, Mongrain V. Brain hemodynamic response to somatosensory stimulation in Neuroligin-1 knockout mice. Neuroscience. 2015;289:242-50 pubmed publisherb>Neuroligin 1 (NLGN1) is a postsynaptic adhesion molecule that determines N-methyl-d-aspartate receptor (NMDAR) function and cellular localization...
- Khoutorsky A, Bonin R, Sorge R, Gkogkas C, Pawlowski S, Jafarnejad S, et al. Translational control of nociception via 4E-binding protein 1. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..Mice lacking 4E-BP1 exhibit enhanced spinal cord expression of neuroligin 1, a cell-adhesion postsynaptic protein regulating excitatory synapse function, and show increased excitatory ..
- Jedlicka P, Vnencak M, Krueger D, Jungenitz T, Brose N, Schwarzacher S. Neuroligin-1 regulates excitatory synaptic transmission, LTP and EPSP-spike coupling in the dentate gyrus in vivo. Brain Struct Funct. 2015;220:47-58 pubmed..Based on previous in vitro and ex vivo studies, neuroligin-1 (NL1) has been suggested to play a selective role in the function of glutamatergic synapses...
- Heupel K, Sargsyan V, Plomp J, Rickmann M, Varoqueaux F, Zhang W, et al. Loss of transforming growth factor-beta 2 leads to impairment of central synapse function. Neural Dev. 2008;3:25 pubmed publisher..The functional alterations in the respiratory center of the brain are probably the underlying cause of the perinatal death of the TGF-beta2 knock-out mice. ..
- Hill Yardin E, Argyropoulos A, Hosie S, Rind G, Anderson P, Hannan A, et al. Reduced susceptibility to induced seizures in the Neuroligin-3(R451C) mouse model of autism. Neurosci Lett. 2015;589:57-61 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that the R451C mutation in the Nlgn3 gene, associated with ASD in humans, confers resistance to induced seizures, suggesting dysfunction of PTZ-sensitive GABAergic signalling in this mouse model of ASD. ..
- Bie B, Wu J, Yang H, Xu J, Brown D, Naguib M. Epigenetic suppression of neuroligin 1 underlies amyloid-induced memory deficiency. Nat Neurosci. 2014;17:223-31 pubmed publisher..b>Neuroligin 1 (NLGN1), a postsynaptic protein found in central excitatory synapses, governs excitatory synaptic efficacy and ..
- Reissner C, Runkel F, Missler M. Neurexins. Genome Biol. 2013;14:213 pubmed
- Clarris H, McKeown S, Key B. Expression of neurexin ligands, the neuroligins and the neurexophilins, in the developing and adult rodent olfactory bulb. Int J Dev Biol. 2002;46:649-52 pubmed..In situ hybridisation showed that neuroligin 1 and 2 were expressed by second order mitral cells during early postnatal development but not in adults...
- Bemben M, Shipman S, Hirai T, Herring B, Li Y, Badger J, et al. CaMKII phosphorylation of neuroligin-1 regulates excitatory synapses. Nat Neurosci. 2014;17:56-64 pubmed publisher..The localization and synaptic effects of neuroligin-1 (NL-1, also called NLGN1) are specific to excitatory synapses with the capacity to enhance excitatory synapses dependent on synaptic ..