Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Nkx2 9
Description: NK2 homeobox 9
Alias: Nkx-2.9, Nkx2-8, Nkx2.9, tinman, Drosophila NK2 transcription factor related, locus 9, NK2 transcription factor related, locus 9, homeobox protein NK-2 homolog H, homeobox protein Nkx-2.8, homeobox protein Nkx-2.9
- Motor axon exit from the mammalian spinal cord is controlled by the homeodomain protein Nkx2.9 via Robo-Slit signalingArlene Bravo-Ambrosio
Dominick P Purpura Department of Neuroscience, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Development 139:1435-46. 2012..Our studies support the view that Nkx2.9 controls SACMN axon exit from the mammalian spinal cord by regulating Robo-Slit signaling...
- The Rfx4 transcription factor modulates Shh signaling by regional control of ciliogenesisAmir M Ashique
Department of Molecular Biology, Genentech, South San Francisco, CA 94080, USA
Sci Signal 2:ra70. 2009..Our data indicate that Rfx4 is a regionally specific transcriptional regulator of ciliogenesis and thus is also a regionally specific modulator of Shh signaling during development of the central nervous system...
- Molecular control of spinal accessory motor neuron/axon development in the mouse spinal cordAllison K Dillon
Department of Neuroscience, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
J Neurosci 25:10119-30. 2005..Furthermore, in the absence of the transcription factor Nkx2.9, SACMN axons fail to exit the CNS. Together, these findings suggest molecular mechanisms that are likely to regulate key steps in SACMN development...
- Loss of Nkx2.8 deregulates progenitor cells in the large airways and leads to dysplasiaJianmin Tian
Department of Pathology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
Cancer Res 66:10399-407. 2006..8-/- mice. Increased proliferation and an altered progenitor relationship caused progressive bronchial pathology, which manifested as widespread dysplasia in the large airways of 1-year-old Nkx2.8-/- mice...
- Genomic characterization of Gli-activator targets in sonic hedgehog-mediated neural patterningSteven A Vokes
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Harvard University, 16 Divinity Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Development 134:1977-89. 2007..Together, these approaches provide significant new insights into both tissue-specific and general transcriptional targets in a crucial Shh-mediated patterning process...
- Transcriptional repression coordinates the temporal switch from motor to serotonergic neurogenesisJohn Jacob
Developmental Neurobiology, National Institute for Medical Research, The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, London NW7 1AA, UK
Nat Neurosci 10:1433-9. 2007..Moreover, the subsequent differentiation of central serotonergic neurons required both the suppression of VMN neurogenesis and the induction of downstream intrinsic determinants of serotonergic identity by Foxa2...
- Mouse Fkbp8 activity is required to inhibit cell death and establish dorso-ventral patterning in the posterior neural tubeRebecca Lee Yean Wong
Center for Environmental and Genetic Medicine, Institute of Biosciences and Technology, The Texas A and M University System Health Science Center, 2121 W Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Hum Mol Genet 17:587-601. 2008..The mutant Fkbp8 allele is a new experimental model which will be useful in dissecting the pathogenesis of spinal NTDs, and enhance our understanding of the etiology of human NTDs...
- Spatially distinct functions of PAX6 and NKX2.2 during gliogenesis in the ventral spinal cordNicholas Genethliou
The Cyprus Institute of Neurology and Genetics, Airport Avenue, No 6, Agios Dometios 2370, Nicosia, Cyprus
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 382:69-73. 2009..These data provide important insights into specific functions of PAX6 and NKX2.2 during glial cell specification that have so far remained largely unexplored...
- A homeodomain feedback circuit underlies step-function interpretation of a Shh morphogen gradient during ventral neural patterningMadelen Lek
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Development 137:4051-60. 2010..These data establish that dynamic, non-graded changes in responding cells are essential for Shh morphogen interpretation, and provide a rationale to explain mechanistically the phenomenon of cellular memory of morphogen exposure...
- The transcription factors Nkx2.2 and Nkx2.9 play a novel role in floor plate development and commissural axon guidanceAndreas Holz
Cell and Molecular Biology, University of Braunschweig, Spielmannstrasse 7, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
Development 137:4249-60. 2010..As both factors affect floor plate development, control of commissural axon trajectories might be the underlying mechanism...
- Hand is a direct target of Tinman and GATA factors during Drosophila cardiogenesis and hematopoiesisZhe Han
Department of Molecular Biology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, 6000 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
Development 132:3525-36. 2005..The homeodomain protein Tinman and the GATA factors Pannier and Serpent directly activate Hand in these cell types through a minimal enhancer, ..
- Transduction of graded Hedgehog signaling by a combination of Gli2 and Gli3 activator functions in the developing spinal cordQiubo Lei
Department of Neuroscience and Cell Biology, UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, 675 Hoes Lane, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
Development 131:3593-604. 2004..Thus, multiple ventral neuronal types can develop in the absence of Gli function, but require balanced Gli protein activities for their correct patterning and differentiation...
- Ascl1/Mash1 is required for the development of central serotonergic neuronsAlexandre Pattyn
CNRS UMR 8542, Ecole Normale Superieure, 75005 Paris, France
Nat Neurosci 7:589-95. 2004..Thus Ascl1, which is essential for noradrenergic differentiation, is also a determinant of the serotonergic phenotype...
- Nkx2-9 is a novel homeobox transcription factor which demarcates ventral domains in the developing mouse CNSO Pabst
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Technical University of Braunschweig, Spielmannstrasse 7, 38106, Braunschweig, Germany
Mech Dev 73:85-93. 1998..The dynamic expression pattern of Nkx2-9 in ventral domains of the CNS is consistent with a possible role in the specification of a distinct subset of neurons...
- Homeobox gene Nkx2.2 and specification of neuronal identity by graded Sonic hedgehog signallingJ Briscoe
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
Nature 398:622-7. 1999..Thus, Nkx2.2 has an essential role in interpreting graded Shh signals and selecting neuronal identity...
- NKX2 gene expression in neuroectoderm but not in mesendodermally derived structures depends on sonic hedgehog in mouse embryosO Pabst
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Technical University of Braunschweig, Spielmannstrasse 7, D 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
Dev Genes Evol 210:47-50. 2000..We found that expression of NKX2.1, NKX2.2, and NKX2.9 in neural domains requires Shh signaling, whereas NKX2.3, NKX2.5 and NKX2.6 expression in endoderm and mesoderm is independent of Shh...
- Conserved linkage of NK-2 homeobox gene pairs Nkx2-2/2-4 and Nkx2-1/2-9 in mammalsC C Wang
Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute, St Vincent s Hospital, 384 Victoria St, Darlinghurst 2010, Australia
Mamm Genome 11:466-8. 2000
- Comparative analysis of the genomic organization of Pax9 and its conserved physical association with Nkx2-9 in the human, mouse, and pufferfish genomesF Santagati
GSF Research Center for Health and Environment, Institute of Mammalian Genetics, Neuherberg, Germany
Mamm Genome 12:232-7. 2001..Our results suggest that transcription of Pax9 may be initiated at two alternative start sites and driven by TATA-less promoters...
- Regulation of alpha-fetoprotein expression by Nkx2.8Yasuo Kajiyama
Department of Pathology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
Mol Cell Biol 22:6122-30. 2002..8 bound to the active AFP promoter, and antisense inhibition of Nkx2.8 mRNA translation selectively reduced expression of both the endogenous human AFP gene and transfected reporters containing the rat AFP promoter...
- Targeted disruption of the homeobox gene Nkx2.9 reveals a role in development of the spinal accessory nerveOliver Pabst
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Institute of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Technical University of Braunschweig, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
Development 130:1193-202. 2003..Like other Nkx genes expressed in the CNS, Nkx2.9 seems to be involved in converting positional information into cell fate decisions...
- Coordinated temporal and spatial control of motor neuron and serotonergic neuron generation from a common pool of CNS progenitorsAlexandre Pattyn
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Karolinska Institute, S 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
Genes Dev 17:729-37. 2003..These findings assign new roles for Nkx, Hox, and Phox2 proteins in the control of temporal neuronal fate determination, and link spatial and temporal patterning of CNS neuronal fates...
- Identification of Cis-regulatory elements in the mouse Pax9/Nkx2-9 genomic region: implication for evolutionary conserved syntenyFabio Santagati
GSF National Research Center for Environment and Health, Institute of Developmental Genetics, D 85764 Neuherberg, Germany
Genetics 165:235-42. 2003..We propose such an intersecting organization of cis-regulatory sequences in multigenic regions as a possible mechanism that maintains evolutionary conserved synteny...
- Sequence and chromosomal assignment of human BAPX1, a bagpipe-related gene, to 4p16.1: a candidate gene for skeletal dysplasiaK I Yoshiura
Department of Pediatrics, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
Genomics 45:425-8. 1997..We report here the human BAPX1 sequence and its localization to chromosome region 4p16.1 and suggest BAPX1 as a candidate for disorders of skeletal development that might map to 4p16.1...