Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Nfasc
Alias: AA387016, D430023G06Rik, mKIAA0756, neurofascin
- Thaxton C, Pillai A, Pribisko A, Labasque M, Dupree J, Faivre Sarrailh C, et al. In vivo deletion of immunoglobulin domains 5 and 6 in neurofascin (Nfasc) reveals domain-specific requirements in myelinated axons. J Neurosci. 2010;30:4868-76 pubmed publisher..encoding the critical paranodal proteins Caspr, contactin (Cont), and the myelinating glia-specific isoform of Neurofascin (Nfasc(NF155)) results in the disruption of the paranodal axo-glial junctions, loss of ion channel segregation, ..
- Scheiermann C, Meda P, Aurrand Lions M, Madani R, Yiangou Y, Coffey P, et al. Expression and function of junctional adhesion molecule-C in myelinated peripheral nerves. Science. 2007;318:1472-5 pubmed..These results demonstrate that JAM-C is a component of the autotypic junctional attachments of Schwann cells and plays an important role in maintaining the integrity and function of myelinated peripheral nerves. ..
- Pomicter A, Deloyht J, Hackett A, Purdie N, Sato Bigbee C, Henderson S, et al. Nfasc155H and MAG are specifically susceptible to detergent extraction in the absence of the myelin sphingolipid sulfatide. Neurochem Res. 2013;38:2490-502 pubmed publisher..Thus, our findings present a potential link between sulfatide perturbation and myelin deterioration in multiple sclerosis. ..
- Buttermore E, Piochon C, Wallace M, Philpot B, Hansel C, Bhat M. Pinceau organization in the cerebellum requires distinct functions of neurofascin in Purkinje and basket neurons during postnatal development. J Neurosci. 2012;32:4724-42 pubmed publisher..Loss of cytoskeletal adaptor protein Ankyrin G (AnkG) results in mislocalization of the cell adhesion molecule Neurofascin (Nfasc) at the Purkinje AIS and abnormal organization of the pinceau...
- Amor V, Zhang C, Vainshtein A, Zhang A, Zollinger D, Eshed Eisenbach Y, et al. The paranodal cytoskeleton clusters Na+ channels at nodes of Ranvier. elife. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..Our results reveal that the paranodal junction-dependent mechanism of Na+channel clustering is mediated by the spectrin-based paranodal axonal cytoskeleton. ..
- Fuchs P, Zörer M, Reipert S, Rezniczek G, Propst F, Walko G, et al. Targeted inactivation of a developmentally regulated neural plectin isoform (plectin 1c) in mice leads to reduced motor nerve conduction velocity. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:26502-9 pubmed publisher..This is the first report demonstrating an important role of plectin in a major nerve function. ..
- Thaxton C, Pillai A, Pribisko A, Dupree J, Bhat M. Nodes of Ranvier act as barriers to restrict invasion of flanking paranodal domains in myelinated axons. Neuron. 2011;69:244-57 pubmed publisher..Here, we report that genetic ablation of the neuron-specific isoform of Neurofascin (Nfasc(NF¹??)) in vivo results in nodal disorganization, including loss of Na(v) channel and ankyrin-G (AnkG) ..
- Zhang A, Desmazieres A, Zonta B, Melrose S, Campbell G, Mahad D, et al. Neurofascin 140 is an embryonic neuronal neurofascin isoform that promotes the assembly of the node of Ranvier. J Neurosci. 2015;35:2246-54 pubmed publisher..The Neurofascin (Nfasc) gene has a unique role in node formation because it encodes glial and neuronal isoforms of neurofascin (..
- Nodari A, Previtali S, Dati G, Occhi S, Court F, Colombelli C, et al. Alpha6beta4 integrin and dystroglycan cooperate to stabilize the myelin sheath. J Neurosci. 2008;28:6714-9 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that, similar to its role in skin, alpha6beta4 integrin confers stability to myelin in peripheral nerves. ..
- Burmeister M, Ren Q, Makris G, Samson D, Bennett V. Genes for the neuronal immunoglobulin domain cell adhesion molecules neurofascin and Nr-CAM map to mouse chromosomes 1 and 12 and homologous human chromosomes. Mamm Genome. 1996;7:558-9 pubmed
- Kwon H, Johnson T, Joe M, Abu Asab M, Zhang J, Chan C, et al. Myocilin mediates myelination in the peripheral nervous system through ErbB2/3 signaling. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:26357-71 pubmed publisher..There, myocilin interacts with gliomedin, neurofascin, and NrCAM, which are essential for node formation and function...
- Chang K, Zollinger D, Susuki K, Sherman D, Makara M, Brophy P, et al. Glial ankyrins facilitate paranodal axoglial junction assembly. Nat Neurosci. 2014;17:1673-81 pubmed publisher..at the glial side of paranodal junctions where they interact with the essential glial junctional component neurofascin 155...
- Kirschbaum K, Kriebel M, Kranz E, Pötz O, Volkmer H. Analysis of non-canonical fibroblast growth factor receptor 1 (FGFR1) interaction reveals regulatory and activating domains of neurofascin. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:28533-42 pubmed publisher..Here, we show a new link between FGFR1 and the cell adhesion molecule neurofascin, which is important for neurite outgrowth...
- Moscoso L, Sanes J. Expression of four immunoglobulin superfamily adhesion molecules (L1, Nr-CAM/Bravo, neurofascin/ABGP, and N-CAM) in the developing mouse spinal cord. J Comp Neurol. 1995;352:321-34 pubmed..a 12-base-pair insert, plus putative murine orthologs of the chicken cell adhesion molecules Nr-CAM/Bravo and neurofascin. All four mRNAs are expressed in NSC-34 cells, but only neurofascin and the insert-minus form of L1 are ..
- van Beuningen S, Will L, Harterink M, Chazeau A, van Battum E, Frias C, et al. TRIM46 Controls Neuronal Polarity and Axon Specification by Driving the Formation of Parallel Microtubule Arrays. Neuron. 2015;88:1208-1226 pubmed publisher..Thus, TRIM46 defines a unique axonal cytoskeletal compartment for regulating microtubule organization during neuronal development. ..
- Southwood C, He C, Garbern J, Kamholz J, Arroyo E, Gow A. CNS myelin paranodes require Nkx6-2 homeoprotein transcriptional activity for normal structure. J Neurosci. 2004;24:11215-25 pubmed..encoding a paranodal microtubule destabilizing protein, stathmin 1, and the paranodal cell adhesion molecules neurofascin and contactin...
- Freeman S, DesmaziÃ¨res A, Simonnet J, Gatta M, Pfeiffer F, Aigrot M, et al. Acceleration of conduction velocity linked to clustering of nodal components precedes myelination. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:E321-8 pubmed publisher..Finally, we provide evidence that prenodal clusters are also detected in vivo before myelination, further strengthening their physiological relevance. ..
- Le Bras B, Fréal A, Czarnecki A, Legendre P, Bullier E, Komada M, et al. In vivo assembly of the axon initial segment in motor neurons. Brain Struct Funct. 2014;219:1433-50 pubmed publisher..Analysis on the global motor neurons population indicated that Neurofascin follows an identical spatio-temporal distribution, whereas sodium channels and ?4-spectrin only appear along ..
- Yamazaki K, Oki T, Tanaka I. Cloning of 5'-flanking region and a polymorphic CTT trinucleotide repeat within 5'-untranslated region of mouse R-type calcium channel alpha1-subunit (Cchra1) gene, and its genetic mapping. Gene. 1998;214:199-204 pubmed..Using this polymorphism, the Cchra1 was mapped to the region of chromosome 1 where the synteny to human chromosome 1q was conserved. ..
- Edwards R, Herrera Sosa H, Otto J, Bryan J. Cloning and expression of a murine fascin homolog from mouse brain. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:10764-70 pubmed..Electron cryomicroscopy images show that the reconstituted bundles are highly ordered. However, their fine structure differs from that of echinoid fascin-actin bundles. This structural difference can be attributed to fascin. ..
- Desmazieres A, Zonta B, Zhang A, Wu L, Sherman D, Brophy P. Differential stability of PNS and CNS nodal complexes when neuronal neurofascin is lost. J Neurosci. 2014;34:5083-8 pubmed publisher..The Neurofascin (Nfasc) gene encodes neuronal Neurofascin 186 (Nfasc186) at the node and glial Neurofascin 155 at the paranode, ..
- Pacharra S, Hanisch F, Breloy I. Neurofascin 186 is O-mannosylated within and outside of the mucin domain. J Proteome Res. 2012;11:3955-64 pubmed publisher..Among these neurofascin was chosen for further analysis as a recombinant probe (mucin domain) and as an endogenous protein from mouse ..
- Pillai A, Thaxton C, Pribisko A, Cheng J, Dupree J, Bhat M. Spatiotemporal ablation of myelinating glia-specific neurofascin (Nfasc NF155) in mice reveals gradual loss of paranodal axoglial junctions and concomitant disorganization of axonal domains. J Neurosci Res. 2009;87:1773-93 pubmed publisher..These junctions are formed by interactions between a glial isoform of neurofascin (Nfasc(NF155)) and axonal Caspr and Cont...
- Hortsch M. Structural and functional evolution of the L1 family: are four adhesion molecules better than one?. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2000;15:1-10 pubmed
- Traka M, Goutebroze L, Denisenko N, Bessa M, Nifli A, Havaki S, et al. Association of TAG-1 with Caspr2 is essential for the molecular organization of juxtaparanodal regions of myelinated fibers. J Cell Biol. 2003;162:1161-72 pubmed..This complex is analogous to that described previously at paranodes, suggesting that similar molecules are crucial for different types of axo-glial interactions. ..
- Darbelli L, Vogel G, Almazan G, Richard S. Quaking Regulates Neurofascin 155 Expression for Myelin and Axoglial Junction Maintenance. J Neurosci. 2016;36:4106-20 pubmed publisher..Moreover, deterioration of axoglial junctions of the spinal cord was observed and is consistent with a loss of Neurofascin 155 (Nfasc155) isoform that we confirmed as an alternative splice target of the QKI proteins...
- Roche S, Sherman D, Dissanayake K, Soucy G, Desmazieres A, Lamont D, et al. Loss of glial neurofascin155 delays developmental synapse elimination at the neuromuscular junction. J Neurosci. 2014;34:12904-18 pubmed publisher..synapse elimination at the mouse NMJ, where loss of a single glial cell protein, the glial isoform of neurofascin (Nfasc155), was sufficient to disrupt postnatal remodeling of synaptic circuitry...
- Pomicter A, Shroff S, Fuss B, Sato Bigbee C, Brophy P, Rasband M, et al. Novel forms of neurofascin 155 in the central nervous system: alterations in paranodal disruption models and multiple sclerosis. Brain. 2010;133:389-405 pubmed publisher..comprised of the neuronal heterocomplex of contactin and contactin-associated protein and the myelin protein neurofascin 155...