Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Nes
Alias: AA166324, C78523, ESTM46, Ifaprc2, Marc2, RC2, nestin, intermediate filament protein, intermediate filament-associated protein RC2
- Carney R, Cocas L, Hirata T, Mansfield K, Corbin J. Differential regulation of telencephalic pallial-subpallial boundary patterning by Pax6 and Gsh2. Cereb Cortex. 2009;19:745-59 pubmed publisher..Thus, in addition to their well-characterized cross-repressive roles in dorsal/ventral patterning our analyses reveal important novel functions of Gsh2 and Pax6 in the regulation of PSB progenitor pool specification and patterning. ..
- Saffary R, Xie Z. FMRP regulates the transition from radial glial cells to intermediate progenitor cells during neocortical development. J Neurosci. 2011;31:1427-39 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that FMRP suppresses the transition from RGCs to IPCs during neocortical development by an actin-dependent mechanism. ..
- Sessa A, Mao C, Hadjantonakis A, Klein W, Broccoli V. Tbr2 directs conversion of radial glia into basal precursors and guides neuronal amplification by indirect neurogenesis in the developing neocortex. Neuron. 2008;60:56-69 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings identify Tbr2 as a critical factor for the specification of IPCs during corticogenesis. ..
- Mamber C, Kamphuis W, Haring N, Peprah N, Middeldorp J, Hol E. GFAP? expression in glia of the developmental and adolescent mouse brain. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e52659 pubmed publisher..development, GFAP? is expressed by radial glia, as denoted by the co-expression of markers like vimentin and nestin. GFAP? is also expressed in other astrocytic populations during development...
- Remedios R, Huilgol D, Saha B, Hari P, Bhatnagar L, Kowalczyk T, et al. A stream of cells migrating from the caudal telencephalon reveals a link between the amygdala and neocortex. Nat Neurosci. 2007;10:1141-50 pubmed..This is first evidence of a dorsal pallial contribution to the amygdala, demonstrating a developmental and mechanistic link between the amygdala and the neocortex. ..
- Radakovits R, Barros C, Belvindrah R, Patton B, Muller U. Regulation of radial glial survival by signals from the meninges. J Neurosci. 2009;29:7694-705 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate that attachment of RGC processes at the meninges is important for RGC survival and the control of cortical size. ..
- Ge X, Frank C, Calderon de Anda F, Tsai L. Hook3 interacts with PCM1 to regulate pericentriolar material assembly and the timing of neurogenesis. Neuron. 2010;65:191-203 pubmed publisher..These results underscore the importance of centrosomal assembly in neurogenesis and provide potential insights into the etiology of brain developmental diseases related to the centrosome dysfunction. ..
- Barry G, Piper M, Lindwall C, Moldrich R, Mason S, Little E, et al. Specific glial populations regulate hippocampal morphogenesis. J Neurosci. 2008;28:12328-40 pubmed publisher..As in wild-type mice, immature nestin-positive glia, which encompass all types of radial glia, populate the hippocampus in Nfib-deficient mice at ..
- Okae H, Iwakura Y. Neural tube defects and impaired neural progenitor cell proliferation in Gbeta1-deficient mice. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:1089-101 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that Gbeta1 is required for normal embryonic neurogenesis. ..
- Siegenthaler J, Ashique A, Zarbalis K, Patterson K, Hecht J, KANE M, et al. Retinoic acid from the meninges regulates cortical neuron generation. Cell. 2009;139:597-609 pubmed publisher..Lastly, in utero RA treatment rescued the cortical phenotype in Foxc1 mutants. These results establish RA as a potent, meningeal-derived cue required for successful corticogenesis. ..
- Bupesh M, Legaz I, Abellan A, Medina L. Multiple telencephalic and extratelencephalic embryonic domains contribute neurons to the medial extended amygdala. J Comp Neurol. 2011;519:1505-25 pubmed publisher..Our study helps to set up the foundations for a better understanding of medial amygdalar control of behavior in normal and abnormal conditions. ..
- Wright K, Lyon K, Leung H, Leahy D, Ma L, Ginty D. Dystroglycan organizes axon guidance cue localization and axonal pathfinding. Neuron. 2012;76:931-44 pubmed publisher..These findings establish a novel role for glycosylated dystroglycan as a key determinant of axon guidance cue distribution and function in the mammalian nervous system. ..
- Srinivasan K, Roosa J, Olsen O, Lee S, Bredt D, McConnell S. MALS-3 regulates polarity and early neurogenesis in the developing cerebral cortex. Development. 2008;135:1781-90 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that MALS-3 plays a role in maintaining apicobasal polarity and is required for normal neurogenesis in the developing cortex. ..
- Yingling J, Youn Y, Darling D, Toyo oka K, Pramparo T, Hirotsune S, et al. Neuroepithelial stem cell proliferation requires LIS1 for precise spindle orientation and symmetric division. Cell. 2008;132:474-86 pubmed publisher..Thus, control of symmetric division, essential for neuroepithelial stem cell proliferation, is mediated through spindle orientation determined via LIS1/NDEL1/dynein-mediated cortical microtubule capture. ..
- Park D, Xiang A, Mao F, Zhang L, Di C, Liu X, et al. Nestin is required for the proper self-renewal of neural stem cells. Stem Cells. 2010;28:2162-71 pubmed publisherThe intermediate filament protein, nestin, is a widely employed marker of multipotent neural stem cells (NSCs)...
- Cappello S, Böhringer C, Bergami M, Conzelmann K, Ghanem A, Tomassy G, et al. A radial glia-specific role of RhoA in double cortex formation. Neuron. 2012;73:911-24 pubmed publisher..These data not only demonstrate that RhoA is largely dispensable for migration in neurons but also showed that defects in radial glial cells, rather than neurons, can be sufficient to produce SBH. ..
- Wrobel C, Mutch C, Swaminathan S, Taketo M, Chenn A. Persistent expression of stabilized beta-catenin delays maturation of radial glial cells into intermediate progenitors. Dev Biol. 2007;309:285-97 pubmed..An increased fraction of transgenic cortical cells express the progenitor markers Nestin and LewisX, confirming a relative expansion of this population...
- Sudarov A, Joyner A. Cerebellum morphogenesis: the foliation pattern is orchestrated by multi-cellular anchoring centers. Neural Dev. 2007;2:26 pubmed
- Luo R, Jeong S, Jin Z, Strokes N, Li S, Piao X. G protein-coupled receptor 56 and collagen III, a receptor-ligand pair, regulates cortical development and lamination. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:12925-30 pubmed publisher..Thus, collagen III regulates the proper lamination of the cerebral cortex by acting as the major ligand of GPR56 in the developing brain. ..
- Jin Z, Liu L, Bian W, Chen Y, Xu G, Cheng L, et al. Different transcription factors regulate nestin gene expression during P19 cell neural differentiation and central nervous system development. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:8160-73 pubmed publisherb>Nestin is a molecular marker for neural progenitor cells. Rat and human nestin genes possess a central nervous system-specific enhancer within their second introns...
- Favaro R, Valotta M, Ferri A, Latorre E, Mariani J, Giachino C, et al. Hippocampal development and neural stem cell maintenance require Sox2-dependent regulation of Shh. Nat Neurosci. 2009;12:1248-56 pubmed publisher..Their replication was partially rescued by the addition of SHH and was almost fully rescued by conditioned medium from normal cells. Thus, NSCs control their status, at least partly, through Sox2-dependent autocrine mechanisms. ..
- Kameda Y, Nishimaki T, Chisaka O, Iseki S, Sucov H. Expression of the epithelial marker E-cadherin by thyroid C cells and their precursors during murine development. J Histochem Cytochem. 2007;55:1075-88 pubmed..a number of markers that identify migratory or postmigratory neural crest cells, namely, TuJ1, neurofilament 160, nestin, P75NTR, and Sox10. Moreover, we examined the expression of E-cadherin, an epithelial cell marker...
- Schwamborn J, Berezikov E, Knoblich J. The TRIM-NHL protein TRIM32 activates microRNAs and prevents self-renewal in mouse neural progenitors. Cell. 2009;136:913-25 pubmed publisher..TRIM32 is the mouse ortholog of Drosophila Brat and Mei-P26 and might be part of a protein family that regulates the balance between differentiation and proliferation in stem cell lineages. ..
- Lavado A, Lagutin O, Chow L, Baker S, Oliver G. Prox1 is required for granule cell maturation and intermediate progenitor maintenance during brain neurogenesis. PLoS Biol. 2010;8: pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that the ectopic expression of Prox1 induces premature differentiation of neural stem cells. ..
- Yokota Y, Eom T, Stanco A, Kim W, Rao S, Snider W, et al. Cdc42 and Gsk3 modulate the dynamics of radial glial growth, inter-radial glial interactions and polarity in the developing cerebral cortex. Development. 2010;137:4101-10 pubmed publisher..Related cell polarity determinants (Cdc42, Gsk3) differentially influence radial glial activities within the evolving radial glia scaffold to coordinate the formation of cerebral cortex. ..
- Lagace D, Whitman M, Noonan M, Ables J, DeCarolis N, Arguello A, et al. Dynamic contribution of nestin-expressing stem cells to adult neurogenesis. J Neurosci. 2007;27:12623-9 pubmed..We generated a nestin-CreER(T2)/R26R-yellow fluorescent protein (YFP) mouse to inducibly label nestin-expressing stem cells and their ..
- Kang H, Tian L, Son Y, Zuo Y, Procaccino D, Love F, et al. Regulation of the intermediate filament protein nestin at rodent neuromuscular junctions by innervation and activity. J Neurosci. 2007;27:5948-57 pubmedThe intermediate filament nestin is localized postsynaptically at rodent neuromuscular junctions...
- Yi J, Barnes A, Hand R, Polleux F, Ehlers M. TGF-beta signaling specifies axons during brain development. Cell. 2010;142:144-57 pubmed publisher..These results define an extrinsic cue for neuronal polarity in vivo that patterns neural circuits in the developing brain. ..
- Breunig J, Sarkisian M, Arellano J, Morozov Y, Ayoub A, Sojitra S, et al. Primary cilia regulate hippocampal neurogenesis by mediating sonic hedgehog signaling. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:13127-32 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest these organelles are cellular "antennae" critically required to modulate ALNP behavior. ..
- Kim J, Kim J, Kim Y, Yang M, Jang H, Kang S, et al. Differential patterns of nestin and glial fibrillary acidic protein expression in mouse hippocampus during postnatal development. J Vet Sci. 2011;12:1-6 pubmedIntermediate filaments, including nestin and glial fibrillary acidic protein (GFAP), are important for the brain to accommodate neural activities and changes during development...
- Bakircioglu M, Carvalho O, Khurshid M, Cox J, Tuysuz B, Barak T, et al. The essential role of centrosomal NDE1 in human cerebral cortex neurogenesis. Am J Hum Genet. 2011;88:523-35 pubmed publisher..Thus, NDE1 deficiency causes both a severe failure of neurogenesis and a deficiency in cortical lamination. Our data further highlight the importance of the centrosome in multiple aspects of neurodevelopment. ..
- Yokota Y, Kim W, Chen Y, Wang X, Stanco A, Komuro Y, et al. The adenomatous polyposis coli protein is an essential regulator of radial glial polarity and construction of the cerebral cortex. Neuron. 2009;61:42-56 pubmed publisher..Thus, APC is an essential regulator of radial glial polarity and is critical for the construction of cerebral cortex in mammals. ..
- Zarbalis K, Siegenthaler J, Choe Y, May S, Peterson A, Pleasure S. Cortical dysplasia and skull defects in mice with a Foxc1 allele reveal the role of meningeal differentiation in regulating cortical development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:14002-7 pubmed..Furthermore, we provide evidence that defects in meningeal differentiation can lead to severe cortical dysplasia. ..
- Forsberg K, Wuttke A, Quadrato G, Chumakov P, Wizenmann A, Di Giovanni S. The tumor suppressor p53 fine-tunes reactive oxygen species levels and neurogenesis via PI3 kinase signaling. J Neurosci. 2013;33:14318-30 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that p53 fine-tunes endogenous ROS levels to ensure the appropriate timing of neurogenesis in eNPCs. This may also have implications for the generation of tumors of neurodevelopmental origin. ..
- Rasin M, Gazula V, Breunig J, Kwan K, Johnson M, Liu Chen S, et al. Numb and Numbl are required for maintenance of cadherin-based adhesion and polarity of neural progenitors. Nat Neurosci. 2007;10:819-27 pubmed..Thus, by regulating RGC adhesion and polarity, Numb and Numbl are required for the tissue architecture of neurogenic niches and the cerebral cortex. ..
- Horvat Bröcker A, Reinhard J, Illes S, Paech T, Zoidl G, Harroch S, et al. Receptor protein tyrosine phosphatases are expressed by cycling retinal progenitor cells and involved in neuronal development of mouse retina. Neuroscience. 2008;152:618-45 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest distinct roles of RPTPs in cell proliferation and establishing phenotypes of different retinal cells during retinogenesis as well as later in the maintenance of mature retina. ..
- Niklasson M, Bergström T, Zhang X, Gustafsdottir S, Sjogren M, Edqvist P, et al. Enlarged lateral ventricles and aberrant behavior in mice overexpressing PDGF-B in embryonic neural stem cells. Exp Cell Res. 2010;316:2779-89 pubmed publisher..Transgenic mice were generated with PDGF-B under control of a minimal nestin enhancer element, which is specific for embryonic expression and will not drive adult expression in mice...
- Dahlstrand J, Lardelli M, Lendahl U. Nestin mRNA expression correlates with the central nervous system progenitor cell state in many, but not all, regions of developing central nervous system. Brain Res Dev Brain Res. 1995;84:109-29 pubmedb>Nestin is a recently discovered intermediate filament (IF) gene...
- Miyata T, Nakajima K, Aruga J, Takahashi S, Ikenaka K, Mikoshiba K, et al. Distribution of a reeler gene-related antigen in the developing cerebellum: an immunohistochemical study with an allogeneic antibody CR-50 on normal and reeler mice. J Comp Neurol. 1996;372:215-28 pubmed..The spatiotemporal expressions of the CR-50 antigen in the cerebellum are consistent with the possibility that this antigen is involved in cell-cell interactions related to the histogenetic assembly of Purkinje cells. ..
- Toresson H, Mata De Urquiza A, Fagerstrom C, Perlmann T, Campbell K. Retinoids are produced by glia in the lateral ganglionic eminence and regulate striatal neuron differentiation. Development. 1999;126:1317-26 pubmed..These findings, therefore, strongly support the notion that local retinoid signalling within the lateral ganglionic eminence regulates striatal neuron differentiation. ..
- Ferri A, Cavallaro M, Braida D, Di Cristofano A, Canta A, Vezzani A, et al. Sox2 deficiency causes neurodegeneration and impaired neurogenesis in the adult mouse brain. Development. 2004;131:3805-19 pubmed..cell proliferation and the generation of new neurones in adult neurogenic regions are greatly decreased, and GFAP/nestin-positive hippocampal cells, which include the earliest neurogenic precursors, are strikingly diminished...
- Gerhardt H, Ruhrberg C, Abramsson A, Fujisawa H, Shima D, Betsholtz C. Neuropilin-1 is required for endothelial tip cell guidance in the developing central nervous system. Dev Dyn. 2004;231:503-9 pubmed..Radial sprout elongation correlated with tip cell filopodia extensions along nestin-positive radial glial processes, but in the SVZ, the tip cell filopodia also extended perpendicular to the glial ..
- Tanaka S, Kamachi Y, Tanouchi A, Hamada H, Jing N, Kondoh H. Interplay of SOX and POU factors in regulation of the Nestin gene in neural primordial cells. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:8834-46 pubmedIntermediate-filament Nestin and group B1 SOX transcription factors (SOX1/2/3) are often employed as markers for neural primordium, suggesting their regulatory link...
- Dahmane N, Sanchez P, Gitton Y, Palma V, Sun T, Beyna M, et al. The Sonic Hedgehog-Gli pathway regulates dorsal brain growth and tumorigenesis. Development. 2001;128:5201-12 pubmed..SHH-GLI signaling thus modulates normal dorsal brain growth by controlling precursor proliferation, an evolutionarily important and plastic process that is deregulated in brain tumors. ..
- Sakakibara S, Nakamura Y, Satoh H, Okano H. Rna-binding protein Musashi2: developmentally regulated expression in neural precursor cells and subpopulations of neurons in mammalian CNS. J Neurosci. 2001;21:8091-107 pubmed..These two RNA-binding proteins may exert common functions in neural precursor cells by regulating gene expression at the post-transcriptional level. ..
- Ishibashi M, Ang S, Shiota K, Nakanishi S, Kageyama R, Guillemot F. Targeted disruption of mammalian hairy and Enhancer of split homolog-1 (HES-1) leads to up-regulation of neural helix-loop-helix factors, premature neurogenesis, and severe neural tube defects. Genes Dev. 1995;9:3136-48 pubmed..These results suggest that HES-1 normally controls the proper timing of neurogenesis and regulates neural tube morphogenesis. ..
- Bedford L, Walker R, Kondo T, van Crüchten I, King E, Sablitzky F. Id4 is required for the correct timing of neural differentiation. Dev Biol. 2005;280:386-95 pubmed..Together, these in vivo and in vitro data suggest a crucial role for Id4 in regulating NPC proliferation and differentiation. ..
- Gates M, Thomas L, Howard E, Laywell E, Sajin B, Faissner A, et al. Cell and molecular analysis of the developing and adult mouse subventricular zone of the cerebral hemispheres. J Comp Neurol. 1995;361:249-66 pubmed..a chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan termed dermatan sulfate-dependent proteoglycan-1 (DSD-1-PG)], stem-cell marker (nestin), and proliferation-specific marker [bromodeoxyuridine (BrdU)]...
- Hartfuss E, Forster E, Bock H, Hack M, Leprince P, Luque J, et al. Reelin signaling directly affects radial glia morphology and biochemical maturation. Development. 2003;130:4597-609 pubmed..Taken together, these results unravel a novel role of reelin signaling to radial glial cells that is crucial for the regulation of their Blbp content and characteristic morphology in a region-specific manner. ..
- Gomes W, Mehler M, Kessler J. Transgenic overexpression of BMP4 increases astroglial and decreases oligodendroglial lineage commitment. Dev Biol. 2003;255:164-77 pubmed..Therefore, BMPs are likely important mediators of astrocyte development in vivo. ..
- Haubst N, Georges Labouesse E, De Arcangelis A, Mayer U, Gotz M. Basement membrane attachment is dispensable for radial glial cell fate and for proliferation, but affects positioning of neuronal subtypes. Development. 2006;133:3245-54 pubmed..Thus, although BM attachment seems dispensable for precursor cells, an intact BM is required for adequate neuronal composition of the cerebral cortex. ..
- Horton S, Meredith A, Richardson J, Johnson J. Correct coordination of neuronal differentiation events in ventral forebrain requires the bHLH factor MASH1. Mol Cell Neurosci. 1999;14:355-69 pubmed..Taken together, an essential role for MASH1 in the coordination of events required for correct cell-type specification and timing of differentiation during neural development in ventral forebrain regions is demonstrated. ..
- Tokunaga A, Kohyama J, Yoshida T, Nakao K, Sawamoto K, Okano H. Mapping spatio-temporal activation of Notch signaling during neurogenesis and gliogenesis in the developing mouse brain. J Neurochem. 2004;90:142-54 pubmed..Taken together, the present method has enabled us to determine the timing, gradients, and boundaries of the activation of Notch signaling. ..
- Wiese C, Rolletschek A, Kania G, Blyszczuk P, Tarasov K, Tarasova Y, et al. Nestin expression--a property of multi-lineage progenitor cells?. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2004;61:2510-22 pubmed..In this review, we describe what is currently known about nestin, an intermediate filament first identified in neuroepithelial stem cells...
- Andrae J, Bongcam Rudloff E, Hansson I, Lendahl U, Westermark B, Nister M. A 1.8kb GFAP-promoter fragment is active in specific regions of the embryonic CNS. Mech Dev. 2001;107:181-5 pubmed..The results indicate that GFAP activity is regulated in a region-specific manner during central nervous system (CNS) development and that the gene is turned on in different cell types independently. ..
- Nakamura Y, Sakakibara S, Miyata T, Ogawa M, Shimazaki T, Weiss S, et al. The bHLH gene hes1 as a repressor of the neuronal commitment of CNS stem cells. J Neurosci. 2000;20:283-93 pubmed..However, immunochemical analyses of sections and dissociated cells using neural progenitor markers, including nestin, failed to detect any changes in Hes1(-/-) progenitor population...
- Petersen P, Zou K, Hwang J, Jan Y, Zhong W. Progenitor cell maintenance requires numb and numblike during mouse neurogenesis. Nature. 2002;419:929-34 pubmed..Our findings show that a shared molecular mechanism, with mouse Numb and Nbl as key components, governs the self-renewal of all neural progenitor cells, regardless of their lineage or regional identities. ..
- Yamamoto S, Yoshino I, Shimazaki T, Murohashi M, Hevner R, Lax I, et al. Essential role of Shp2-binding sites on FRS2alpha for corticogenesis and for FGF2-dependent proliferation of neural progenitor cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:15983-8 pubmed..However, mutant NSPCs were able to self-renew, demonstrating that Shp2-binding sites on FRS2alpha play an important role in NSPC proliferation but are dispensable for NSPC self-renewing capacity after FGF2 stimulation. ..
- Anthony T, Klein C, Fishell G, Heintz N. Radial glia serve as neuronal progenitors in all regions of the central nervous system. Neuron. 2004;41:881-90 pubmed..Thus, radial glial populations within different CNS regions are not heterogeneous with regard to their potential to generate neurons versus glia. ..
- Monuki E, Porter F, Walsh C. Patterning of the dorsal telencephalon and cerebral cortex by a roof plate-Lhx2 pathway. Neuron. 2001;32:591-604 pubmed..These findings provide evidence for the roof plate as an organizing center of the developing cortex and for a roof plate-Lhx2 pathway in cortical patterning. ..
- Hevner R, Shi L, Justice N, Hsueh Y, Sheng M, Smiga S, et al. Tbr1 regulates differentiation of the preplate and layer 6. Neuron. 2001;29:353-66 pubmed..These results show that Tbr1 is a common genetic determinant for the differentiation of early-born glutamatergic neocortical neurons and provide insights into the functions of these neurons as regulators of cortical development. ..
- Georges Labouesse E, Mark M, Messaddeq N, Gansmuller A. Essential role of alpha 6 integrins in cortical and retinal lamination. Curr Biol. 1998;8:983-6 pubmed..These observations are particularly significant given the recent report that human patients suffering from epidermolysis bullosa can carry mutations in ITGA6, the gene encoding the alpha 6 integrin chain [8,9]. ..
- Lien W, Klezovitch O, Fernandez T, Delrow J, Vasioukhin V. alphaE-catenin controls cerebral cortical size by regulating the hedgehog signaling pathway. Science. 2006;311:1609-12 pubmed..We propose that alphaE-catenin connects cell-density-dependent adherens junctions with the developmental hedgehog pathway and that this connection may provide a negative feedback loop controlling the size of developing cerebral cortex. ..