Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Myc
Description: myelocytomatosis oncogene
Alias: AU016757, Myc2, Niard, Nird, bHLHe39, c-myc proto-oncogene, myc proto-oncogene protein, transcription factor p64
Publications137 found, 100 shown here
- Modelling Myc inhibition as a cancer therapyLaura Soucek
Department of Pathology and Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143 0875, USA
Nature 455:679-83. 2008b>Myc is a pleiotropic basic helix-loop-helix leucine zipper transcription factor that coordinates expression of the diverse intracellular and extracellular programs that together are necessary for growth and expansion of somatic cells...
- Widespread microRNA repression by Myc contributes to tumorigenesisTsung Cheng Chang
McKusick Nathans Institute of Genetic Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Nat Genet 40:43-50. 2008The c-Myc oncogenic transcription factor (Myc) is pathologically activated in many human malignancies. Myc is known to directly upregulate a pro-tumorigenic group of microRNAs (miRNAs) known as the miR-17-92 cluster...
- Mnt loss triggers Myc transcription targets, proliferation, apoptosis, and transformationJonas A Nilsson
Department of Biochemistry, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee 38105, USA
Mol Cell Biol 24:1560-9. 2004b>Myc oncoproteins are overexpressed in most cancers and are sufficient to accelerate cell proliferation and provoke transformation. However, in normal cells Myc also triggers apoptosis...
- Inhibition of Wnt signaling by the osteoblast-specific transcription factor OsterixChi Zhang
Department of Molecular Genetics, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:6936-41. 2008..5 Osx-null embryos, expression of the Wnt antagonist Dkk1 was abolished, and that of Wnt target genes c-Myc and cyclin D1 was increased. Moreover, our studies demonstrated that Osx bound to and activated the Dkk1 promoter...
- Miz1 is required for early embryonic development during gastrulationSovana Adhikary
Institute for Molecular Biology and Tumor Research Institute for Cytobiology and Cytopathology, University of Marburg, 35033 Marburg, Germany
Mol Cell Biol 23:7648-57. 2003Miz1 is a member of the POZ domain/zinc finger transcription factor family. In vivo, Miz1 forms a complex with the Myc oncoprotein and recruits Myc to core promoter elements. Myc represses transcription through Miz1 binding sites...
- Ikaros and Aiolos inhibit pre-B-cell proliferation by directly suppressing c-Myc expressionShibin Ma
Department of Genetics, Cell Biology, and Anatomy, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198 5805, USA
Mol Cell Biol 30:4149-58. 2010..driven by signals from the interleukin-7 receptor and the pre-B-cell receptor and is dependent on cyclin D3 and c-Myc. We have shown previously that interferon regulatory factors 4 and 8 induce the expression of Ikaros and Aiolos to ..
- C-myc as a modulator of renal stem/progenitor cell populationMartin Couillard
Institut de Recherches Cliniques de Montreal, Molecular Genetics and Development, Faculte de Medecine de l Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Dev Dyn 238:405-14. 2009The role of c-myc has been well-studied in gene regulation and oncogenesis but remains elusive in murine development from midgestation...
- Stat3 and c-Myc genome-wide promoter occupancy in embryonic stem cellsBenjamin L Kidder
EMD Serono Research Institute, Inc, Rockland, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS ONE 3:e3932. 2008..Stat3 and c-Myc TFs are essential for maintaining mouse ES cell self-renewal...
- Subcellular localization of glycogen synthase kinase 3beta controls embryonic stem cell self-renewalMatthew Bechard
Paul D Coverdell Center for Biomedical and Health Sciences, Athens, Georgia 30602, USA
Mol Cell Biol 29:2092-104. 2009Phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase (PI3K), protein kinase B (AKT1), and c-myc have well-established roles in promoting the maintenance of murine embryonic stem cells (mESCs)...
- Loss of the Max-interacting protein Mnt in mice results in decreased viability, defective embryonic growth and craniofacial defects: relevance to Miller-Dieker syndromeKazuhito Toyo-oka
Department of Pediatrics, UCSD Cancer Center, University of California, San Diego School of Medicine, La Jolla 92093 0627, USA
Hum Mol Genet 13:1057-67. 2004..Mnt can inhibit Myc-dependent cell transformation and is hypothesized to counterbalance the effects of c-Myc on growth and ..
- Negative regulation of c-Myc transcription by pancreas duodenum homeobox-1Lei Chen
International Co operation Laboratory on Signal Transduction, Eastern Hepatobiliary Surgery Institute, Second Military Medical University, 200438 Shanghai, People s Republic of China
Endocrinology 148:2168-80. 2007..duodenal homeobox factor-1 (Pdx1) is essential for pancreatic development and insulin gene transcription, whereas c-Myc has a deleterious effect on islet function. However, the relationship between c-Myc and Pdx1 is poorly concerned...
- Sequential expression of the MAD family of transcriptional repressors during differentiation and developmentC Queva
Division of Basic Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98109 1024, USA
Oncogene 16:967-77. 1998Members of the Myc proto-oncogene family encode transcription factors that function in multiple aspects of cell behavior, including proliferation, differentiation, transformation and apoptosis...
- MYC overexpression induces prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia and loss of Nkx3.1 in mouse luminal epithelial cellsTsuyoshi Iwata
Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e9427. 2010Lo-MYC and Hi-MYC mice develop prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia (PIN) and prostatic adenocarcinoma as a result of MYC overexpression in the mouse prostate...
- Molecular cloning of mouse collectin liver 1Takao Kawai
Division of Food Microbiology, Osaka Prefectural Institute of Public Health, 1 3 69 Nakamichi, Higashinari ku, Osaka 537 0025, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 66:2134-45. 2002..The mouse CL-L1 gene, Cll1 was found on chromosome 15 in a region syntenic with human chromosome 8q. CL-L1 was a highly conserved protein in mammals, birds, and fish...
- Myc but not Fos rescue of PDGF signalling block caused by kinase-inactive SrcM V Barone
Differentiation Programme, European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Heidelberg, Germany
Nature 378:509-12. 1995..Both AP1 and Myc are activated in fibroblasts in response to growth factor stimulation, and various experiments suggest their ..
- The C. elegans MDL-1 and MXL-1 proteins can functionally substitute for vertebrate MAD and MAXJ Yuan
Department of Molecular Biology, Princeton University, New Jersey 08544 1014, USA
Oncogene 17:1109-18. 1998The genes of the myc/max/mad family play an important role in controlling cell proliferation and differentiation. We have identified the first homologues of the mad and max genes in the nematode C...
- Myc and Max associate in vivoE M Blackwood
Division of Basic Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98104
Genes Dev 6:71-80. 1992Max is a helix-loop-helix zipper protein that associates in vitro with Myc family proteins to form a sequence-specific DNA-binding complex...
- TC-PTP is required for the maintenance of MYC-driven B-cell lymphomasRyan M Young
Department of Dermatology, Charles C Gates Regenerative Medicine and Stem Cell Program, University of Colorado Denver Health Sciences Center, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Blood 114:5016-23. 2009..We hypothesized that TC-PTP may be a tumor-promoting gene that is regulated by MYC overexpression in B cells...
- Down-regulation of c-myc and bcl-2 gene expression in PU.1-induced apoptosis in murine erythroleukemia cellsF Kihara-Negishi
Department of Cell Genetics, Sasaki Institute, Tokyo, Japan
Int J Cancer 76:523-30. 1998..Semi-quantitative RT-PCR revealed that expression of c-myc and bcl-2 genes was reduced during the apoptotic process, while expression of bax and bcl-X(L) genes was not ..
- Myc regulates keratinocyte adhesion and differentiation via complex formation with Miz1Anneli Gebhardt
Institute for Cell Biology, University of Marburg, 35033 Marburg, Germany
J Cell Biol 172:139-49. 2006b>Myc plays a key role in homeostasis of the skin. We show that Miz1, which mediates Myc repression of gene expression, is expressed in the epidermal basal layer...
- Analysis of C-MYC function in normal cells via conditional gene-targeted mutationI M de Alboran
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Children s, Hospital, Center for Blood Research and Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Immunity 14:45-55. 2001Germline inactivation of c-myc in mice causes embryonic lethality. Therefore, we developed a LoxP/Cre-based conditional mutation approach to test the role of c-myc in mouse embryonic fibroblasts (MEFs) and mature B lymphocytes...
- The MYC protein activates transcription of the alpha-prothymosin geneM Eilers
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of California San Francisco 94143 0552
EMBO J 10:133-41. 1991The proto-oncogene MYC encodes a nuclear protein whose biochemical and physiological functions remain uncertain. We used an estrogen-regulated version of the MYC protein to explore these functions...
- Myc represses transcription through recruitment of DNA methyltransferase corepressorCarmen Brenner
Free University of Brussels, Faculty of Medicine, Laboratory of Molecular Virology, Brussels, Belgium
EMBO J 24:336-46. 2005The Myc transcription factor is an essential mediator of cell growth and proliferation through its ability to both positively and negatively regulate transcription...
- Translational activation of the non-AUG-initiated c-myc 1 protein at high cell densities due to methionine deprivationS R Hann
Department of Cell Biology, Vanderbilt University, School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 2175
Genes Dev 6:1229-40. 1992c-myc belongs to a small, yet growing, group of eukaryotic mRNAs that initiate translation inefficiently from a non-AUG codon upstream from a more efficient AUG codon...
- Blimp1 defines a progenitor population that governs cellular input to the sebaceous glandValerie Horsley
Laboratory of Mammalian Cell Biology and Development, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, The Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10021, USA
Cell 126:597-609. 2006..Blimp1 appears to govern cellular input into the gland since its loss leads to elevated c-myc expression, augmented cell proliferation, and SG hyperplasia...
- Hypertrophic growth in cardiac myocytes is mediated by Myc through a Cyclin D2-dependent pathwayWeiguang Zhong
The Cardiovascular Research Laboratories, Department of Medicine, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California, USA
EMBO J 25:3869-79. 2006c-Myc (Myc) is highly expressed in developing embryos where it regulates body size by controlling proliferation but not cell size...
- The essential cofactor TRRAP recruits the histone acetyltransferase hGCN5 to c-MycS B McMahon
Department of Molecular Biology, Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey 08544 1014, USA
Mol Cell Biol 20:556-62. 2000The c-Myc protein functions as a transcription factor to facilitate oncogenic transformation; however, the biochemical and genetic pathways leading to transformation remain undefined...
- Bmi-1 collaborates with c-Myc in tumorigenesis by inhibiting c-Myc-induced apoptosis via INK4a/ARFJ J Jacobs
Division of Molecular Carcinogenesis, The Netherlands Cancer Institute, 1066 CX Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Genes Dev 13:2678-90. 1999The bmi-1 and myc oncogenes collaborate strongly in murine lymphomagenesis, but the basis for this collaboration was not understood...
- Acceleration of c-myc-induced hepatocarcinogenesis by Co-expression of transforming growth factor (TGF)-alpha in transgenic mice is associated with TGF-beta1 signaling disruptionE Santoni-Rugiu
Laboratory of Experimental Carcinogenesis, Division of Basic Sciences, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Am J Pathol 154:1693-700. 1999We have previously shown in transgenic mice that transforming growth factor (TGF)-alpha dramatically enhances c-myc-induced hepatocarcinogenesis by promoting proliferation and survival of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) cells...
- Prostatic neoplasia in transgenic mice with prostate-directed overexpression of the c-myc oncoproteinX Zhang
Department of Urology, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
Prostate 43:278-85. 2000..In order to test the in vivo effects of chronic overexpression of the mouse c-myc protooncogene on the prostate glands of transgenic mice, we created several lines of C(3)1-c-myc transgenic mice ..
- N-myc is an essential downstream effector of Shh signaling during both normal and neoplastic cerebellar growthBeryl A Hatton
Clinical Research Division, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Cancer Res 66:8655-61. 2006We examined the genetic requirements for the Myc family of oncogenes in normal Sonic hedgehog (Shh)-mediated cerebellar granule neuronal precursor (GNP) expansion and in Shh pathway-induced medulloblastoma formation...
- Endogenous bcl-2 is not required for the development of Emu-myc-induced B-cell lymphomaPriscilla N Kelly
Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, 1G Royal Parade, Parkville, 3050 Victoria, Melbourne, Australia
Blood 109:4907-13. 2007Although myc and bcl-2 synergize in tumor development, particularly lymphomagenesis, it is not known whether endogenous bcl-2 is required for myc-induced tumorigenesis...
- Role of genomic instability and p53 in AID-induced c-myc-Igh translocationsAlmudena R Ramiro
Laboratory of Molecular Immunology, The Rockefeller University, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Madrid 28049, Spain
Nature 440:105-9. 2006..Here we find that translocations between c-myc and the IgH locus (Igh) are induced in primary B cells within hours of expression of the catalytically active form ..
- Suppression of Myc-induced apoptosis in beta cells exposes multiple oncogenic properties of Myc and triggers carcinogenic progressionStella Pelengaris
Molecular Medicine Research Center, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Warwick, Coventry CV4 7AL, United Kingdom
Cell 109:321-34. 2002To explore the role of c-Myc in carcinogenesis, we have developed a reversible transgenic model of pancreatic beta cell oncogenesis using a switchable form of the c-Myc protein...
- Egr-1 abrogates the block imparted by c-Myc on terminal M1 myeloid differentiationMarianna Shafarenko
Fels Institute for Cancer Research and Molecular Biology, Temple University School of Medicine, 3307 N Broad St, Philadelphia, PA 19140, USA
Blood 106:871-8. 2005..In addition, we have shown that deregulated expression of the proto-oncogene c-myc blocks the myeloid terminal differentiation program...
- Novel targeted deregulation of c-Myc cooperates with Bcl-X(L) to cause plasma cell neoplasms in miceWan Cheung Cheung
Cell Signaling Technology Inc, Beverly, Massachusetts, USA
J Clin Invest 113:1763-73. 2004Deregulated expression of both Myc and Bcl-X(L) are consistent features of human plasma cell neoplasms (PCNs)...
- Cell-specific regulation of the c-myc gene by lymphocyte mitogens and platelet-derived growth factorK Kelly
Cell 35:603-10. 1983We show that c-myc is an inducible gene that is regulated by specific growth signals in a cell-cycle-dependent manner...
- Direct activation of HSP90A transcription by c-Myc contributes to c-Myc-induced transformationShu Chun Teng
Institute of Biochemistry, National Yang Ming University, Taipei 112, Taiwan
J Biol Chem 279:14649-55. 2004The c-myc proto-oncogene encodes a ubiquitous transcription factor involved in the control of cell growth and differentiation and implicated in inducing tumorigenesis...
- Regionally restricted expression of the transcription factor c-myc intron 1 binding protein during brain developmentDaniel B Campbell
Department of Pharmacology, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
J Comp Neurol 467:581-92. 2003..In a screen of developing cerebral cortex, we identified the transcription factor c-myc intron 1 binding protein (mibp1) due to its abundant expression...
- Loss of N-myc function results in embryonic lethality and failure of the epithelial component of the embryo to developB R Stanton
Molecular Embryology Section, National Cancer Institute Frederick Cancer Research and Development Center, Maryland 21702 1201
Genes Dev 6:2235-47. 1992b>myc genes are thought to function in the processes of cellular proliferation and differentiation...
- c-Myc-deficient B lymphocytes are resistant to spontaneous and induced cell deathI Moreno de Alborán
Department of Immunology and Oncology DIO Pharmacia CSIC, Centro Nacional de Biotecnologia CNB CSIC, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Cantoblanco, Madrid 28049, Spain
Cell Death Differ 11:61-8. 2004C-myc gene is a member of the myc family of proto-oncogenes involved in proliferation, differentiation, and apoptosis...
- c-Myc regulates cell size and ploidy but is not essential for postnatal proliferation in liverEsther Baena
Department of Immunology and Oncology, Centro Nacional de Biotecnología Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Cantoblanco, E 28049 Madrid, Spain
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:7286-91. 2005The c-Myc protein is a transcription factor implicated in the regulation of multiple biological processes, including cell proliferation, cell growth, and apoptosis...
- Sustained loss of a neoplastic phenotype by brief inactivation of MYCMeenakshi Jain
Division of Oncology, Departments of Medicine and Pathology, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305 5151, USA
Science 297:102-4. 2002..We used a conditional transgenic mouse model for MYC-induced tumorigenesis to demonstrate that brief inactivation of MYC results in the sustained regression of tumors ..
- Beta-catenin is essential for pancreatic acinar but not islet developmentL Charles Murtaugh
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Development 132:4663-74. 2005..Thus, our data are consistent with a crucial role for canonical Wnt signals in acinar lineage specification and differentiation...
- Non-transcriptional control of DNA replication by c-MycDavid Dominguez-Sola
Institute for Cancer Genetics, Department of Genetics and Development and Herbert Irving Comprehensive Cancer Center, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, New York 10032, USA
Nature 448:445-51. 2007The c-Myc proto-oncogene encodes a transcription factor that is essential for cell growth and proliferation and is broadly implicated in tumorigenesis...
- Interactions between cells with distinct mutations in c-MYC and Pten in prostate cancerJongchan Kim
Department of Pathology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN, USA
PLoS Genet 5:e1000542. 2009..Here we have modeled sporadic oncogene activation using a transgenic mouse in which c-MYC is focally activated in prostate luminal epithelial cells...
- MYC in mammalian epidermis: how can an oncogene stimulate differentiation?Fiona M Watt
Cancer Research UK Cambridge Research Institute, Li Ka Shing Centre, Robinson Way, Cambridge CB2 0RE, UK
Nat Rev Cancer 8:234-42. 2008b>MYC in human epidermal stem cells can stimulate differentiation rather than uncontrolled proliferation. This discovery was, understandably, greeted with scepticism by researchers...
- Mouse c-myc oncogene is located on chromosome 15 and translocated to chromosome 12 in plasmacytomasS Crews
Science 218:1319-21. 1982Hybridization studies with viral oncogene probes indicate that c-myc, the cellular gene homologous to the transforming gene of avian myelocytomatosis virus, resides on mouse chromosome 15 and in many plasmacytomas is translocated to the ..
- Scaffold attachment regions stimulate HSP70.1 expression in mouse preimplantation embryos but not in differentiated tissuesE M Thompson
Unite de Biologie du Developpement, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, Jouy en Josas, France
Mol Cell Biol 14:4694-703. 1994..These results suggest a limited capacity of SARs to act as insulating elements but are consistent with a proposed model of SAR-mediated chromatin opening and closing...
- Translocation, breakage and truncated transcripts of c-myc oncogene in murine plasmacytomasL W Stanton
Nature 303:401-6. 1983Comparative nucleotide sequence analysis of a rearranged c-myc gene in a murine plasmacytoma and c-myc cDNA from normal spleen reveals that chromosomal translocation in the plasmacytoma breaks the c-myc gene within the first exon or ..
- Placental rescue reveals a sole requirement for c-Myc in embryonic erythroblast survival and hematopoietic stem cell functionNicole C Dubois
Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, Swiss Institute for Experimental Cancer Research, School of Life Science, 1066 Epalinges, Switzerland
Development 135:2455-65. 2008The c-Myc protein has been implicated in playing a pivotal role in regulating the expression of a large number of genes involved in many aspects of cellular function...
- The alternatively initiated c-Myc proteins differentially regulate transcription through a noncanonical DNA-binding siteS R Hann
Department of Cell Biology, Vanderbilt University, School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 2175
Genes Dev 8:2441-52. 1994The myc proto-oncogene family has been implicated in multiple cellular processes, including proliferation, differentiation, and apoptosis...
- Spontaneous mammary adenocarcinomas in transgenic mice that carry and express MTV/myc fusion genesT A Stewart
Cell 38:627-37. 1984We have produced 13 strains of transgenic mice that carry an otherwise normal mouse myc gene in which increasingly larger portions of the myc promoter region have been replaced by a hormonally inducible mouse mammary tumor virus promoter...
- C-Myc and its target FoxM1 are critical downstream effectors of constitutive androstane receptor (CAR) mediated direct liver hyperplasiaWilliam E Blanco-Bose
Genetics and Stem Cell Laboratory, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne EPFL, ISREC Swiss Institute for Experimental Cancer Research, Epalinges, Switzerland
Hepatology 48:1302-11. 2008..In this study, we identify c-Myc as a gene induced by CAR and demonstrate that TCPOBOP-induced proliferation of hepatocytes depends on c-Myc ..
- Suppression of Myc oncogenic activity by ribosomal protein haploinsufficiencyMaria Barna
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of California San Francisco, Rock Hall Room 384C, 1550 Fourth Street, San Francisco, California 94158 2517, USA
Nature 456:971-5. 2008The Myc oncogene regulates the expression of several components of the protein synthetic machinery, including ribosomal proteins, initiation factors of translation, RNA polymerase III and ribosomal DNA...
- The MMTV/c-myc transgene and p53 null alleles collaborate to induce T-cell lymphomas, but not mammary carcinomas in transgenic miceA Elson
Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Oncogene 11:181-90. 1995A number of properties of the cancer-related genes c-myc and p53 suggest that they might collaborate to induce tumorigenesis...
- N-myc is essential during neurogenesis for the rapid expansion of progenitor cell populations and the inhibition of neuronal differentiationPaul S Knoepfler
Division of Basic Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98109, USA
Genes Dev 16:2699-712. 2002To address the role of N-myc in neurogenesis and in nervous system tumors, it was conditionally disrupted in neuronal progenitor cells (NPCs) with a nestin-Cre transgene...
- Long form of latent TGF-beta binding protein 1 (Ltbp1L) is essential for cardiac outflow tract septation and remodelingVesna Todorovic
Cell Biology Department, NYU School of Medicine, New York, NY 10016, USA
Development 134:3723-32. 2007..This phenotype reveals a crucial role for Ltbp1L and matrix as extracellular regulators of Tgf-beta activity in heart organogenesis...
- Myc stimulates B lymphocyte differentiation and amplifies calcium signalingTania Habib
Department of Comparative Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
J Cell Biol 179:717-31. 2007Deregulated expression of the Myc family of transcription factors (c-, N-, and L-myc) contributes to the development of many cancers by a mechanism believed to involve the stimulation of cell proliferation and inhibition of ..
- AID-deficient Bcl-xL transgenic mice develop delayed atypical plasma cell tumors with unusual Ig/Myc chromosomal rearrangementsAlexander L Kovalchuk
Laboratory of Cancer Biology and Genetics, Cancer Genomics Section, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Exp Med 204:2989-3001. 2007..and somatic hypermutation, and has also been implicated in translocations between Ig switch regions and c-Myc in plasma cell tumors in mice...
- Multiple mechanisms of tumorigenesis in E mu-myc transgenic miceC L Sidman
Department of Molecular Genetics, Biochemistry, and Microbiology, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Ohio 45267
Cancer Res 53:1665-9. 1993Transgenic mice bearing a c-myc oncogene under control of the immunoglobulin heavy chain enhancer (E mu-myc mice) reproducibly develop and die from tumors of the B lymphocyte lineage (J.M. Adams, A.W. Harris, C.A. Pinkert, L.M...
- Characterization of pal-1, a common proviral insertion site in murine leukemia virus-induced lymphomas of c-myc and Pim-1 transgenic miceB Scheijen
Division of Molecular Genetics, The Netherlands Cancer Institute, Amsterdam
J Virol 71:9-16. 1997Insertional mutagenesis with Moloney murine leukemia virus (MoMLV) in c-myc and Pim-1 transgenic mice permits the identification of oncogenes that collaborate with the transgenes in lymphomagenesis...
- A role for AID in chromosome translocations between c-myc and the IgH variable regionYair Dorsett
Laboratory of Molecular Immunology, The Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Exp Med 204:2225-32. 2007..To determine whether SHM might induce c-myc to Ig V-J(H) translocations, we searched for such events in both interleukin (IL) 6 transgenic (IL-6 tg) and AID(-/-..
- Colocalization of somatic and meiotic double strand breaks near the Myc oncogene on mouse chromosome 15Siemon H Ng
Center for Genome Dynamics, The Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, ME 04609, USA
Genes Chromosomes Cancer 48:925-30. 2009..One common class of tumorigenic translocations arising from DSBs is chromosomal rearrangements near the Myc oncogene...
- Dose and context dependent effects of Myc on epidermal stem cell proliferation and differentiationMelanie A Berta
CR UK Cambridge Research Institute, Li Ka Shing Centre, Cambridge CB2 0RE, UK
EMBO Mol Med 2:16-25. 2010b>Myc is activated in many tumours, yet, paradoxically, stimulates differentiation in mammalian epidermis...
- c-Myc-mediated genomic instability proceeds via a megakaryocytic endomitosis pathway involving Gp1balphaYoujun Li
Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, Department of Molecular Genetics and Biochemistry, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, and University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:3490-5. 2007..Through largely undefined mechanisms, the c-Myc oncoprotein and its downstream target, MTMC1, promote tetraploidy and other forms of GI...
- Deregulation of c-Myc Confers distinct survival requirements for memory B cells, plasma cells, and their progenitorsSefat E Khuda
Department of Microbiology, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
J Immunol 181:7537-49. 2008Deregulation of the c-Myc oncogene is tightly associated with human and murine plasma cell (PC) neoplasms...
- Epidermal stem cells are defined by global histone modifications that are altered by Myc-induced differentiationMichaela Frye
Wellcome Trust Centre for Stem Cell Research, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 2:e763. 2007Activation of Myc induces epidermal stem cells to exit their niche and differentiate into sebocytes and interfollicular epidermis, a process that is associated with widespread changes in gene transcription...
- Differential requirement for Plexin-A3 and -A4 in mediating responses of sensory and sympathetic neurons to distinct class 3 SemaphorinsAvraham Yaron
Department of Biological Sciences, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Stanford University, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Neuron 45:513-23. 2005..Thus, Plexin-A3 and -A4 contribute to the specificity of axonal responses to class 3 Semaphorins...
- Altered trophoblast proliferation is insufficient to account for placental dysfunction in Egfr null embryosJ Dackor
Department of Genetics, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Placenta 28:1211-8. 2007..numbers of bromodeoxyuridine (BrdU) positive trophoblast were observed in Egfr nullizygous placentas and Cdc25a and Myc, genes associated with proliferation, were significantly down-regulated in null placentas...
- A role for E2F activities in determining the fate of Myc-induced lymphomagenesisRachel E Rempel
Duke Institute for Genome Sciences and Policy, Department of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, United States of America
PLoS Genet 5:e1000640. 2009..To investigate the role of genetic interactions in the development of tumors, we have made use of the Emu-myc model of pre-B and B cell lymphoma...
- Productive coupling of accessible Vbeta14 segments and DJbeta complexes determines the frequency of Vbeta14 rearrangementSheila Ranganath
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, The Children s Hospital, CBR Institute for Biomedical Research, and Department of Genetics, Harvard University Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Immunol 180:2339-46. 2008..we first generated and analyzed mice with the same Dbeta-Jbeta cassette targeted into the generally expressed c-myc locus (c-myc(Rep))...
- Activated Src abrogates the Myc requirement for the G0/G1 transition but not for the G1/S transitionTulsiram Prathapam
Cancer Research Laboratory and Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720 3204, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:2695-700. 2006The transcription factor Myc plays a central role in the control of cellular proliferation...
- Thrombopoietin (TPO) induces c-myc expression through a PI3K- and MAPK-dependent pathway that is not mediated by Akt, PKCzeta or mTOR in TPO-dependent cell lines and primary megakaryocytesSupantitra Chanprasert
Department of Clinical Microscopy, Faculty of Medical Technology, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Cell Signal 18:1212-8. 2006..The proto-oncogene c-myc also plays an important role in many of these same processes...
- c-Myc and beta-catenin cooperate with loss of p53 to generate multiple members of the primitive neuroectodermal tumor family in miceH Momota
Department of Cancer Biology and Genetics, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
Oncogene 27:4392-401. 2008..As elevated c-Myc expression, activation of Wnt/beta-catenin signaling and dysfunction of p53 are seen in human PNETs, we ..
- Mycobacterium tuberculosis 6-kDa early secreted antigenic target (ESAT-6) protein downregulates lipopolysaccharide induced c-myc expression by modulating the extracellular signal regulated kinases 1/2Niladri Ganguly
Immunology Group, International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology Aruna Asaf Ali Marg, New Delhi 110067, India
BMC Immunol 8:24. 2007....
- Msh2-dependent DNA repair mitigates a unique susceptibility of B cell progenitors to c-Myc-induced lymphomasRajeev M Nepal
Department of Immunology, University of Toronto, Medical Sciences Building, Toronto, Canada
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:18698-703. 2009C-Myc is one of the most common targets of genetic alterations in human cancers. Although overexpression of c-Myc in the B cell compartment predisposes to lymphomas, secondary mutations are required for disease manifestation...
- An AU-rich stem-loop structure is a critical feature of the perinuclear localization signal of c-myc mRNAHervé Chabanon
Institute for Cell and Molecular Biosciences, The Medical School, University of Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 4HH, UK
Biochem J 392:475-83. 2005In eukaryotic cells, several mRNAs including those of c-myc and c-fos are localized to the perinuclear cytoplasm and associated with the cytoskeleton...
- Proliferation of human HCC cells and chemically induced mouse liver cancers requires JNK1-dependent p21 downregulationLijian Hui
Research Institute of Molecular Pathology, Vienna, Austria
J Clin Invest 118:3943-53. 2008..proliferation was caused by increased expression of p21, a cell-cycle inhibitor, and reduced expression of c-Myc, a negative regulator of p21...
- Cooperative effect of ribosomal protein s19 and Pim-1 kinase on murine c-Myc expression and myeloid/erythroid cellularityAnne Sophie Fröjmark
Department of Genetics and Pathology, The Rudbeck Laboratory, Uppsala University, 751 85 Uppsala, Sweden
J Mol Med (Berl) 88:39-46. 2010..Molecular analysis of bone marrow cells in Rps19 ( +/- ) Pim-1 ( -/- ) mice revealed up-regulated levels of c-Myc and the anti-apoptotic factors Bcl(2), Bcl(XL), and Mcl-1...
- Acquisition of essential somatic cell cycle regulatory protein expression and implied activity occurs at the second to third cell division in mouse preimplantation embryosYufen Xie
CS Mott Center for Human Growth and Development of Ob Gyn, Wayne State University School of Medicine, 275 East Hancock, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
FEBS Lett 579:398-408. 2005....
- Expression of c-myc is down-regulated as mouse mammary epithelial cells become confluentS Grolli
Facolta di Medicina Veterinaria, Universita de Parma, Parma, 43100, Italy
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 239:566-9. 1997We have investigated the expression profile of c-myc in the mammary gland. During pregnancy when the gland is actively growing c-myc mRNA was present, while in the differentiated lactating gland no c-myc mRNA was detected...
- Immunoglobulin/Myc recombinations in murine Peyer's patch folliclesJ R Muller
Laboratory of Genetics, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 4255, USA
Genes Chromosomes Cancer 20:1-8. 1997Immunoglobulin heavy chain (Igh)/Myc recombinations are a hallmark of pristane-induced mouse plasmacytomas but are also frequently found in non-tumorous tissues...
- Chromosomal localization of the human and mouse hyaluronan synthase genesA P Spicer
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Mayo Clinic Scottsdale, Arizona 85259, USA
Genomics 41:493-7. 1997..HAS2 mapped outside the predicted critical region delineated for the Langer-Giedion syndrome and can thus be excluded as a candidate gene for this genetic syndrome...
- Contrasting patterns of myc and N-myc expression during gastrulation of the mouse embryoK M Downs
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of California San Francisco 94143
Genes Dev 3:860-9. 1989b>myc and N-myc are related genes whose similar protein products may be used for different purposes in vertebrate organisms...
- Myc-1 is centromeric to the linkage group Ly-6--Sis--Gdc-1 on mouse chromosome 15K Huppi
Laboratory of Genetics, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892
Immunogenetics 27:215-9. 1988A survey of wild mouse DNA with a c-myc exon 1 probe revealed a Taq I restriction fragment length polymorphism (RFLP) among Mus species...
- Cloning and chromosomal localization of ncf4, the mouse homologue of p40-phoxS Zhan
Immunocompromised Host Section, Pediatric Branch, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Immunogenetics 45:217-9. 1997
- Genes that modify expression of major urinary proteins in miceR Duncan
Laboratory of Genetics, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland 20892
Mol Cell Biol 8:2705-12. 1988..1lo trait, designated Mupm-1, was closely linked to Myc-1 on chromosome 15...
- A non-AUG translational initiation in c-myc exon 1 generates an N-terminally distinct protein whose synthesis is disrupted in Burkitt's lymphomasS R Hann
Division of Basic Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98104
Cell 52:185-95. 1988The c-myc gene comprises three exons with a single large AUG-initiated open reading frame extending from exon 2 through exon 3. Exon 1 lacks any AUG codons...
- Mad3 and Mad4: novel Max-interacting transcriptional repressors that suppress c-myc dependent transformation and are expressed during neural and epidermal differentiationP J Hurlin
Division of Basic Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
EMBO J 14:5646-59. 1995The basic helix-loop-helix-leucine zipper (bHLHZip) protein Max associates with members of the Myc family, as well as with the related proteins Mad (Mad1) and Mxi1...
- The rat gene mapC Szpirer
Curr Top Microbiol Immunol 137:33-8. 1988
- Akv murine leukemia virus enhances lymphomagenesis in myc-kappa transgenic and in wild-type miceC Speth
GSF Institut für Molekulare Virologie, Neuherberg, Oberschleissheim, Germany
Virology 206:93-9. 1995..retroviruses to the multistep process of lymphomagenesis was investigated in wild-type mice and in two different myc-kappa transgenic mouse lines by infection with Akv...
- Mesenchymal-epithelial interactions and transforming growth factor-beta expression during mouse prostate morphogenesisT L Timme
Scott Department of Urology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030
Endocrinology 134:1039-45. 1994..Tissue plasminogen activator, urokinase plasminogen activator, androgen receptor, and c-myc mRNA levels were also elevated in UGM compared to UGE...
- Co-amplification of c-myc/pvt-1 in immortalized mouse B-lymphocytic cell lines results in a novel pvt-1/AJ-1 transcriptK Huppi
Molecular Genetics Section, NCI NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892
Int J Cancer 53:493-8. 1993In a series of mouse pvt-1 cDNA clones prepared from an immortalized B-cell line that contains an amplified c-myc/pvt-1 region, we have identified a unique cDNA, AJ-I, which contains 57 bp of pvt-1 sequence (pvt-1a) spliced to a novel ..
- The mouse and human excitatory amino acid transporter gene (EAAT1) maps to mouse chromosome 15 and a region of syntenic homology on human chromosome 5M A Kirschner
Vollum Institute for Advanced Biomedical Research, Portland, Oregon
Genomics 22:631-3. 1994..The Eaat1 locus appears not to be linked to the epilepsy mutant stg locus, which is also on chromosome 15. The EAAT1 locus is located in a region of 5p deletions that have been associated with mental retardation and microcephaly...
- Induction of ornithine decarboxylase by IL-3 is mediated by sequential c-Myc-independent and c-Myc-dependent pathwaysG Packham
Department of Biochemistry, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tenessee 38105, USA
Oncogene 15:1219-32. 1997Enforced c-Myc expression promotes continuous, growth factor-independent, cell cycle progression and activates expression of the ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) gene and its promoter...
- Colorectal cancer in mice genetically deficient in the mucin Muc2Anna Velcich
Department of Oncology, Albert Einstein Cancer Center Montefiore Medical Center, 111 East 210 Street, Bronx, NY 10467, USA
Science 295:1726-9. 2002..Most notably, the mice frequently developed adenomas in the small intestine that progressed to invasive adenocarcinoma, as well as rectal tumors. Thus, Muc2 is involved in the suppression of colorectal cancer...
- MAD1 and p27(KIP1) cooperate to promote terminal differentiation of granulocytes and to inhibit Myc expression and cyclin E-CDK2 activityGrant A McArthur
Division of Basic Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98109 1024, USA
Mol Cell Biol 22:3014-23. 2002..is coupled to withdrawal from the cell cycle, we have focused on two negative regulators of the cell cycle, the MYC antagonist MAD1 and the cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p27(KIP1)...
- Beta-catenin-induced melanoma growth requires the downstream target Microphthalmia-associated transcription factorHans R Widlund
Department of Pediatric Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Dana 630, 44 Binney Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Cell Biol 158:1079-87. 2002..Thus, beta-catenin regulation of MITF expression represents a tissue-restricted pathway that significantly influences the growth and survival behavior of this notoriously treatment-resistant neoplasm...
- Differences in the molecular structure of c-myc-activating recombinations in murine plasmacytomas and precursor cellsJ R Muller
Laboratory of Genetics, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 91:12066-70. 1994The translocation of c-myc on chromosome (chr.) 15 to an immunoglobulin heavy-chain switch region on chr. 12 is the critical oncogenic step in pristane-induced plasmacytoma (PCT) development in BALB/cAnPt mice...
- E2F1 inhibits c-Myc-driven apoptosis via PIK3CA/Akt/mTOR and COX-2 in a mouse model of human liver cancerSara Ladu
Laboratory of Experimental Carcinogenesis, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 4262, USA
Gastroenterology 135:1322-32. 2008Resistance to apoptosis is essential for cancer growth. We previously reported that hepatic coexpression of c-Myc and E2F1, 2 key regulators of proliferation and apoptosis, enhanced hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) development in ..
- Multiple mutations in tumor maintenanceKatrina Podsypanina; Fiscal Year: 2007..Research will focus on Myc and Ras pathway oncogenes in tumor progression and maintenance, initially by using a mouse mammary tumor model ..
- Myc Antagonism and Tumor Suppression by MntPeter Hurlin; Fiscal Year: 2007The Myc family of transcripton factors play a fundamental role in regulating cell proliferation and can promote tumorigenesis when deregulated and/or overexpressed...
- Mechanisms of endoderm specification along the A-P axisJames Wells; Fiscal Year: 2009..Additionally, this information should allow us to coax embryonic stem cells into becoming important transplantable derivatives of endoderm, such as insulin-producing beta cells to treat patients with Type 1 diabetes. ..
- Evaluation of novel FoxM1 inhibitors against liver cancerAndrei L Gartel; Fiscal Year: 2010..Completion of our proposal will enable us to determine if thiazole antibiotics are suitable for further clinical development. ..
- Mechanisms of endoderm specification along the A-P axis.James M Wells; Fiscal Year: 2010..Additionally, this information should allow us to coax embryonic stem cells into becoming important transplantable derivatives of endoderm, such as insulin-producing beta cells to treat patients with Type 1 diabetes. ..
- FUNCTION OF A DUAL SPECIFICITY TRANSCRIPTION FACTORPeter Hurlin; Fiscal Year: 2003DESCRIPTION (adapted from the applicant's desciption): The Myc family proteins play fundamental roles in controlling cell proliferation, and frequently contribute to oncogenesis...
- P21 transcriptional inhibitors as proapoptotic compoundsAndrei Gartel; Fiscal Year: 2003..This study may improve treatment of cancer by leading to the identification of new compounds that will increase the efficiency of cell death promoting anticancer drugs for cancer treatment. ..
- Inactivation of the Muc2 gene and colorectal cancerAnna Velcich; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Colon Cell Differentiation: NAB and MUC2 Gene ExpressionAnna Velcich; Fiscal Year: 2009..5. Finally, we will extend our use of microarray technology to determine how NaB perturbs profiles of gene expression that define lineage specific differentiation (Velcich et al., submitted). ..