Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Mup1
Description: major urinary protein 1
Alias: Ltn-1, Lvtn-1, Mup-1, Mup-a, Mup10, Mup7, Up-1, MUP 1, major urinary protein 10, major urinary protein 7
- Terminology for prealbumin loci in the house mouseF H Wilcox
J Hered 67:113. 1976
- Linkage analysis of the murine interferon alpha locus (Ifa) on chromosome 4E De Maeyer
J Hered 78:143-6. 1987..6 (+/- 3.6)--Ifa--7.9 (+/- 2.8)--m and from a second three-point cross Mup-1--1.7 (+/- 1.7)--b--3.5 (+/- 2.4)--Ifa. The combined results indicate that the gene order, from the centromere, is Mup-1--b--Ifa--m...
- Variation between mouse major urinary protein genes isolated from a single inbred lineA J Clark
Gene 18:221-30. 1982..Homologies between different cloned sequences extend over as much as 15 kb. No clone contains parts of two MUP genes, and no homology has been detected between the 3' flanking region of one MUP gene and the 5' flanking region of another...
- Biosynthesis of the major urinary proteins in mouse liver: a biochemical genetic studyF G Berger
Biochem Genet 19:1261-73. 1981..These findings are consistent with the notion that MUP expression is controlled by a variety of independently assorting genes...
- Ligand binding to protein-binding pockets with wet and dry regionsLingle Wang
Department of Chemistry, Columbia University, 3000 Broadway, New York, NY 10027, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:1326-30. 2011....
- Messenger RNAs coding for mouse major urinary proteins are differentially induced by testosteroneP M Clissold
Biochem Genet 22:379-87. 1984..We argue that some MUP structural genes are quite actively transcribed in females and that the transcription of others is dependent to different degrees upon induction by testosterone...
- Species specificity in major urinary proteins by parallel evolutionDarren W Logan
Department of Cell Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 3:e3280. 2008..Our findings illustrate that increasing genomic complexity of the Mup gene family is not evolutionarily isolated, but is instead a recurring mechanism of generating coding diversity consistent with a species-specific function in mammals...
- Genetic studies of the Fv-1 locus of mice: linkage with Gpd-1 in recombinant inbred linesB A Taylor
J Virol 23:106-9. 1977..6 centimorgans. None of the lines was either resistant or susceptible to both N- and B-tropic viruses. Nineteen other inbred strains, previously untested, were characterized as either Fv-1n or Fv-1b...
- The gene family for major urinary proteins: expression in several secretory tissues of the mouseP H Shaw
Cell 32:755-61. 1983The major urinary proteins (MUPs) of the mouse are encoded by a multigene family located at the Mup a locus on chromosome 4...
- Nucleotide sequences of liver, lachrymal, and submaxillary gland mouse major urinary protein mRNAs: mosaic structure and construction of panels of gene-specific synthetic oligonucleotide probesK Shahan
Mol Cell Biol 7:1938-46. 1987..Shahan, M. Denaro, M. Gilmartin, Y. Shi, and E. Derman, Mol. Cell. Biol. 7:1947-1954, 1987), to characterize the expression of MUP genes I through V...
- Expression of six mouse major urinary protein genes in the mammary, parotid, sublingual, submaxillary, and lachrymal glands and in the liverK Shahan
Mol Cell Biol 7:1947-54. 1987..When a particular MUP gene is expressed in several tissues, transcripts of this gene initiate at the same site and are spliced and polyadenylated in the same manner...
- Sequence structures of a mouse major urinary protein gene and pseudogene comparedA J Clark
EMBO J 4:3159-65. 1985..The 12 acceptor splice sites of the two genes all contain the identical sequence ACAG at the exon boundary.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- Subfamilies of the mouse major urinary protein (MUP) multi-gene family: sequence analysis of cDNA clones and differential regulation in the liverN J Kuhn
Nucleic Acids Res 12:6073-90. 1984..Both sequences appear to be regulated by growth hormone and testosterone. Southern blot analysis of mouse genomic DNA indicates that there are multiple genes homologous to each sequence...
- Major urinary protein-1 increases energy expenditure and improves glucose intolerance through enhancing mitochondrial function in skeletal muscle of diabetic miceXiaoyan Hui
Key Laboratory of Systems Biology, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Graduate School of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 200031, China
J Biol Chem 284:14050-7. 2009....
- A 45-kb DNA domain with two divergently orientated genes is the unit of organisation of the murine major urinary protein genesA J Clark
EMBO J 3:2055-64. 1984..We also show that some MUP genes may be linked in a tail-to-tail fashion with 26-28 kb between the 3' ends of two genes. This suggests that the minimum distance between successive 45-kb units is approximately 7 kb...
- Identification of protein pheromones that promote aggressive behaviourPablo Chamero
Department of Cell Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California 92030, USA
Nature 450:899-902. 2007..Our results substantiate the idea of MUP proteins as pheromone ligands that mediate male-male aggression through the accessory olfactory neural pathway...
- Two main groups of mouse major urinary protein genes, both largely located on chromosome 4J O Bishop
EMBO J 1:615-20. 1982..An analysis of mouse-Chinese hamster hybrid cell lines shows that most, if not all, Group 1 and Group 2 genes are located on mouse chromosome 4...
- Analysis of mouse major urinary protein genes: variation between the exonic sequences of group 1 genes and a comparison with an active gene out with group 1 both suggest that gene conversion has occurred between MUP genesA J Clark
EMBO J 4:3167-71. 1985..We show here that mouse urine does indeed contain a glycosylated MUP protein with those properties, presumably the product of the gene that corresponds to pMUP15...
- Pheromone binding to two rodent urinary proteins revealed by X-ray crystallographyZ Bocskei
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Leeds, UK
Nature 360:186-8. 1992..4 A resolution) and rat urinary alpha 2-globulin (at 2.8 A resolution). The results corroborate the role of these proteins in pheromone transport and elaborate the structural basis of ligand binding...
- Molecular heterogeneity in the Major Urinary Proteins of the house mouse Mus musculusD H Robertson
Department of Biochemistry and Applied Molecular Biology, UMIST, Manchester, U K
Biochem J 316:265-72. 1996..In the two strains there are at least 13 different MUPs, either observed or predicted, indicating the heterogeneity of expression of this group of proteins...
- A new allele at the Mup-1 locus controlling an electrophoretic variant of major urinary proteins in miceH Nikaido
J Hered 75:59-61. 1984..Thus, it is concluded that the locus is identical to Mup-1 and it is proposed that Mup-1c be designated as the allele that determines a third phenotypic form of MUPs in MOA mice...
- Mapping the structural genes coding for the major urinary proteins in the mouse: combined use of recombinant inbred strains and somatic cell hybridsK L Bennett
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 79:1220-4. 1982..The combination of these mapping techniques should be applicable to many cloned DNA sequences...
- Genetic control of susceptibility to Salmonella typhimurium in mice: role of the LPS geneA D O'Brien
J Immunol 124:20-4. 1980
- Structure of mouse major urinary protein genes: different splicing configurations in the 3'-non-coding regionA J Clark
EMBO J 3:1045-52. 1984..Silent sites have diverged four times more rapidly than replacement sites, showing that there has been selection against change in the protein sequence...
- Components of major urinary proteins (MUP's) in the mouse. Sex, strain, and subspecies differencesJ Hayakawa
J Hered 74:453-6. 1983..In addition, the present methods revealed that both liver and serum contained MUP's consisting of components similar to those found in the urine from the same sex and strain...
- Identification of MUP1 as a regulator for glucose and lipid metabolism in miceYingjiang Zhou
Department of Molecular and Integrative Physiology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0622, USA
J Biol Chem 284:11152-9. 2009Major urinary protein (MUP) 1 is a lipocalin family member abundantly secreted into the circulation by the liver. MUP1 binds to lipophilic pheromones and is excreted in urine...
- Modulation of Aire regulates the expression of tissue-restricted antigensVivian Kont
Molecular Pathology, Biomedicum, Tartu University, Ravila 19, 50411 Tartu, Estonia
Mol Immunol 45:25-33. 2008..The data underline a direct role for Aire in TRA expression and suggest that modulation of Aire has a potential to control central tolerance and autoimmunity...
- Structural basis of pheromone binding to mouse major urinary protein (MUP-I)D E Timm
Department of Biochemistry, Indiana University, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
Protein Sci 10:997-1004. 2001....
- Genetic susceptibility to ozone-induced lung hyperpermeability: role of toll-like receptor 4S R Kleeberger
Department of Environmental Health Sciences, The Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 22:620-7. 2000..Together, results indicate that a QTL on mouse chromosome 4 explains a significant portion of the genetic variance in O(3)-induced hyperpermeability, and support a role for Tlr4 as a strong candidate susceptibility gene...
- A quantitative genetic analysis of slow-wave sleep and rapid-eye movement sleep in CXB recombinant inbred miceL A Toth
Department of Infectious Diseases, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee 38105, USA
Behav Genet 29:329-37. 1999..Probabilities of linkage were not sufficient for declaration of a quantitative trait locus for REMS but were sufficient to warrant further analysis either with additional RI strains or with F2 panels...
- Solution structure of a recombinant mouse major urinary proteinC Lucke
Institute of Biophysical Chemistry, J W Goethe University of Frankfurt, Germany
Eur J Biochem 266:1210-8. 1999..The shape of the beta-barrel resembles a calyx, lined inside by mostly hydrophobic residues that are instrumental for the binding and transport of small nonpolar ligand molecules...
- Cloning and gene mapping of the mouse homologue of the CBFA2T1 gene associated with human acute myeloid leukemiaM Niwa-Kawakita
Laboratory of Experimental Animal Science, Saitama Cancer Center Research Institute, Japan
Genomics 29:755-9. 1995..The chromosomal location was also confirmed by fluorescence in situ hybridization...
- Isolation and chromosomal location of Nsk1, a novel murine putative receptor tyrosine kinaseA D Reith
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, London, UK
Mamm Genome 6:689. 1995
- Linkage analysis of the whirler deafness gene on mouse chromosome 4J Fleming
MRC Institute of Hearing Research, Nottingham, United Kingdom
Genomics 21:42-8. 1994..We therefore predict that a human homologue of the wi gene, involved in autosomal recessive deafness, lies in this region of conserved homology on 9q32-q34...
- Structure and chromosomal locus of the mouse gene encoding a cerebellar Purkinje cell-specific helix-loop-helix factor Hes-3T Sakagami
Institute for Immunology, Kyoto University Faculty of Medicine, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 203:594-601. 1994..These results suggest that the Hes-3 and Hes-5 genes may be clustered on chromosome 4 while the Hes-1 gene is not...
- A genetic linkage map of rat chromosome 5 reveals extensive linkage conservation with mouse chromosome 4E Kobayashi
Imamichi Institute for Animal Reproduction, Fukaya, Japan
Mamm Genome 5:222-4. 1994Linkages among three biochemical loci (Aco1, Ahd2, and Mup1) and four microsatellite loci (A8, Glut1, Jun, and Pnd) were determined to construct a linkage map of rat Chromosome (Chr) 5...
- Conserved linkage of soluble aconitase and galactose-1-phosphate uridyl transferase in mouse and man: assignment of these genes to mouse chromosome 4J H Nadeau
Cytogenet Cell Genet 34:271-81. 1982..The conserved linkage of Aco-1 and Galt in mouse and man probably represents an ancient linkage not yet disrupted by chromosomal rearrangement, rather than a linkage preserved by natural selection...
- Mouse microsatellites from a flow-sorted 4:6 Robertsonian chromosomeR J Cornall
Nuffield Department of Surgery, University of Oxford, John Radcliffe Hospital, Headington, UK
Mamm Genome 3:620-4. 1992..Eight (62%) of the 13 repeats that have been mapped lie on Chromosomes (Chr) 4 and 6. This approach is an effective way of generating informative markers on specific chromosomes...
- A new lymphocyte cell surface antigen, Ly-22.2, controlled by a locus on chromosome 4 and a second unlinked locusD Meruelo
J Immunol 130:946-50. 1983..Strain distribution studies show Ly-22.2 is present in all strains examined except B10-derived congenic strains. It is of interest that C57BL/6 and C57BL/10 mice differ in the expression of this antigen...
- A molecular genetic linkage map of mouse chromosome 4 including the localization of several proto-oncogenesJ D Ceci
Mammalian Genetics Laboratory, BRI Basic Research Program, NCI Frederick Cancer Research Facility, Maryland 21701
Genomics 5:699-709. 1989..This linkage map will provide a framework for identifying homologous genes in mice and humans that may be involved in various disease processes...
- Linkage analysis of the murine mos proto-oncogene on chromosome 4F Dandoy
CNRS URA 1343, Institut Curie Biologie, Centre Universitaire, Orsay, France
Genomics 4:546-51. 1989..6 +/- 4.9 recombination units. The linkage data obtained in the present study place Mos in a region compatible with the physical map (D. W. Threadgill and J. E. Womack, 1988, Genomics 3: 82-86)...
- Intraspecific evolution of a gene family coding for urinary proteinsR Al-Shawi
Department of Genetics, University of Edinburgh, Scotland
J Mol Evol 29:302-13. 1989..The phylogenetic grouping correlates with grouping according to aspects of function. The genomes of the inbred strains BALB/c and C57BL contain different MUP gene arrays that we take to be samples from the wild population of arrays...
- Genetic analysis of resistance to radiation lymphomagenesis with recombinant inbred strains of miceM Okumoto
Department of Allied Biological Science, University of Osaka Prefecture, Sakai, Japan
Cancer Res 50:3848-50. 1990....
- Assignment of 12 loci to rat chromosome 5: evidence that this chromosome is homologous to mouse chromosome 4 and to human chromosomes 9 and 1 (1p arm)C Szpirer
Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Departement de Biologie Moleculaire, Rhode St Genese, Belgium
Genomics 6:679-84. 1990....
- Segregation patterns of endogenous mouse mammary tumor viruses in five recombinant inbred strain setsB K Lee
Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, Maine 04609
J Virol 64:4568-72. 1990..Mtv-30 was genetically mapped to chromosome 12. Additionally, two previously identified Mtv loci, Mtv-14 and Mtv-23, were genetically mapped to chromosome 4 and chromosome 6, respectively...
- Localization of the gene for beta 1,4-galactosyltransferase to a position in the centromeric region of mouse chromosome 4N L Shaper
Cell Structure and Function Laboratory, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21250
Cytogenet Cell Genet 54:172-4. 1990..220.127.116.11; Ggtb) was localized to the centromeric region of mouse Chromosome 4, between Mtv-14 and Mtv-17, using Southern blot analysis of an intersubspecies backcross...
- Silent and expressed sister Mup genes are located within distinct chromatin domains: analysis by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis and polymerase chain reaction-supplemented DNase I digestionM Rodriguez
Public Health Research Institute of the City of New York, Inc, New York 10016
Mol Cell Biol 12:1188-93. 1992..5b gene. This finding suggests that the inactivity of the Mup-1.5b gene is brought about by long range-acting mechanisms that establish a chromatin structure in the vicinity of this gene incompatible with transcription...
- Identification and genetic monitoring of mouse inbred strains using biochemical polymorphismsA Groen
Lab Anim 11:209-14. 1977..These findings emphasize the possibility and the necessity of monitoring the genetic purity of inbred strains of mice. A routine monitoring scheme using body protein-polymorphisms is proposed...
- Regulation by androgen of mRNA level for the major urinary protein complex in mouse liverS Osawa
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 77:628-33. 1977
- A second gene affecting the sialylation of lysosomal alpha-mannosidase in mouse liverM Dizik
Biochem Genet 16:247-60. 1978..In contrast, at the Map-1 locus, the more negatively charged phenotype is dominant. The electrophoretic pattern of development of the liver enzyme from SM/JCv mice is described...
- Genetically determined electrophoretic variants of the major urinary protein (Mup) complex in mouse urineA Groen
Anim Blood Groups Biochem Genet 10:107-14. 1979..The Mup phenotypes described, can be useful for the detection of certain strain contaminations, especially if F1 hybrid Mup phenotypes are distinguishable...
- Genetic regulation of lipopolysaccharide responses in NZB miceE A Bearer
Division of Rheumatology Allergy and Clinical Immunology, University of California, Davis
Exp Clin Immunogenet 6:193-203. 1989..Interestingly, the hypergammaglobulinemia and anti-DNA antibody levels in 6-month-old Lpsd mice did not differ from those of NZB mice despite the absence of LPS-responsive CFU-B...
- Acquisition of antigens characteristic of adult pericentral hepatocytes by differentiating fetal hepatoblasts in vitroA L Bennett
Rockefeller University, New York 10021
J Cell Biol 105:1073-85. 1987..These findings suggest that a sequence of gene controls characterizes expression of specific genes in developing liver, and that differentiating fetal hepatoblasts are capable of undergoing similar patterns of gene activity in culture...
- Linkage of one component of the major urinary protein complex of mice to the brown coat color locusD M Hudson
Genet Res 10:195-8. 1967
- Location of the Mup-a locus on mouse linkage group 8J S Finlayson
Genet Res 14:329-31. 1969
- Variations among sublines of inbred AKR miceR T Acton
Nat New Biol 245:8-10. 1973
- Major urinary protein and immunoglobulin allotypes of recombinant inbred mouse strainsM Potter
Genet Res 22:325-8. 1973
- Variation in the major urinary protein multigene family in wild-derived miceB M Sampsell
Genetics 109:549-68. 1985..Analysis of urinary proteins from hybrids between C57BL/6 and M. spretus suggested that low MUP expression in M. spretus females was due to cis-acting genetic elements...
- Map position of dysgenetic lens (dyl) locus on chromosome 4 in the mouseS Sanyal
Genet Res 48:199-200. 1986
- Genetic control of endotoxic responses in miceJ Watson
J Exp Med 147:39-49. 1978..These linkage studies provide a means for analyzing the genetic control of many of the diverse reactions of the endotoxic response to LPS...
- Early development in mice. IV. Age at disappearance of the rooting response: genetic analysis in newborn miceP L Roubertoux
Behav Genet 17:453-64. 1987
- Two loci affecting B cell responses to B cell maturation factorsC L Sidman
J Exp Med 163:116-28. 1986..The effect of Bmfr-2 on B cell responsiveness may be related to levels of the steroid sex hormones. DBA/2Ha mice offer a tool for studying the genetic and hormonal regulation of the immune system...
- Characterization and chromosomal distribution of endogenous mouse mammary tumor viruses of European mouse strains STS/A and GR/AR Michalides
Virology 142:278-90. 1985..R. Callahan, D. Gallahan, and Ch. Kozak (1984), J. Virol. 49, 1005-1008). GR and GR.Mtv-2 furthermore contain two incomplete MMTV proviral elements, one of which is also present in STS/A...
- Isolation of genomic DNA fragments corresponding to genes modulated in vivo by a transcription factorJ Caubín
Departamento de Investigacion, Pharmacia Antibióticos Farma S A, Madrid, Spain
Nucleic Acids Res 22:4132-8. 1994..This method, extensive to other ligand-modulated transcription factors, might be useful to all transcription factors with slight modifications...
- Linkage analysis of the murine interferon-alpha locus on chromosome 4F Dandoy
J Exp Med 160:294-302. 1984..It can therefore be concluded that the IFN-alpha gene cluster is situated on chromosome 4 near the H-15 locus, between loci Mup-1 and b...
- Genetic regulation of hypergammaglobulinaemia and the correlation to autoimmune traits in (NZB X NZW) F1 hybridS Hirose
Clin Exp Immunol 58:694-702. 1984....
- Novel mouse microsatellites: primer sequences and chromosomal locationT Suda
First Department of Biochemistry, Niigata University School of Medicine, Japan
DNA Res 1:169-74. 1994..The microsatellites were distributed to most chromosomes except for chromosomes 16 and 19. These novel markers with defined locations are useful in linkage and genome mapping studies...
- Thermodynamics of binding of 2-methoxy-3-isopropylpyrazine and 2-methoxy-3-isobutylpyrazine to the major urinary proteinRichard J Bingham
Astbury Centre for Structural Molecular Biology, School of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Leeds, LS2 9JT Leeds, UK
J Am Chem Soc 126:1675-81. 2004..The principal driving force governing ligand affinity and specificity can be attributed to solvent-driven enthalpic effects from desolvation of the protein binding pocket...
- A new dominant retinal degeneration (Rd4) associated with a chromosomal inversion in the mouseT H Roderick
The Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, Maine 04609, USA
Genomics 42:393-6. 1997..A human homolog would be expected to be located on human chromosomes 1p or 8q...
- Genetic mapping of the whirler mutationM J Rogers
MRC Institute of Hearing Research, University Park, Nottingham, UK
Mamm Genome 10:513-9. 1999..In the intraspecific backcross, wi was found to be non-recombinant with Orm1 and D4Mit244, 0.3 cM distal of Mup1, and 0.6 cM proximal of Tnc...
- Sleep and fatigue during renal disease in miceLINDA TOTH; Fiscal Year: 2007..Achieving this ambitious goal is feasible given the experience of my laboratory in surveying sleep phenotypes in other studies involving large numbers of mice. ..
- Evolutionary studies of mouse seminal fluid protein genesROBERT KARN; Fiscal Year: 2007..Furthermore, the major source of seminal fluid proteins is the prostate, a common site of male cancer. Disease research may benefit from studies of selection, since positive selection is often associated with human disease genes. ..
- Facility renovation to expand mouse barrier spaceLINDA TOTH; Fiscal Year: 2005..This space will not be adequate to support our anticipated continued growth in the areas of infectious disease and toxic challenge and in the need for quarantine of non-vendor rodents. ..
- ANALGESIC REGIMENS FOR SURGERY AND INFLAMMATION IN MICELINDA TOTH; Fiscal Year: 2006..The data should reveal new and practical strategies for relief of post-procedural pain in mice. ..
- BEHAVIORAL AND PHYSIOLOGIC PATHOBIOLOGY OF MICELINDA TOTH; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Mechanisms of Fatigue in a Chronic Viral DiseaseLINDA TOTH; Fiscal Year: 2009..Such a long-term result would improve the quality of life and economic welfare of target populations that span many disease conditions. ..
- Mechanisms of Fatigue in a Chronic Viral DiseaseLINDA TOTH; Fiscal Year: 2009..Such a long-term result would improve the quality of life and economic welfare of target populations that span many disease conditions. ..
- MURINE SLEEP PHENOTYPE DURING MICROBIAL INFECTIONSLINDA TOTH; Fiscal Year: 2002..Studying the mechanisms by which genes and their products modulate sleep will ultimately improve our understanding of processes that control normal sleep and contribute to sleep disorders. ..
- Mechanisms of Fatigue in a Chronic Viral DiseaseLinda A Toth; Fiscal Year: 2010..Such a long-term result would improve the quality of life and economic welfare of target populations that span many disease conditions. ..