Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Mrc1
Description: mannose receptor, C type 1
Alias: AW259686, CD206, macrophage mannose receptor 1, MMR
- Lee S, Evers S, Roeder D, Parlow A, Risteli J, Risteli L, et al. Mannose receptor-mediated regulation of serum glycoprotein homeostasis. Science. 2002;295:1898-901 pubmed..Each of these is up-regulated during inflammation and wound healing. Thus, MR appears to operate as an essential regulator of serum glycoprotein homeostasis. ..
- Burgdorf S, Scholz C, Kautz A, Tampe R, Kurts C. Spatial and mechanistic separation of cross-presentation and endogenous antigen presentation. Nat Immunol. 2008;9:558-66 pubmed publisher..Thus, cross-presentation is spatially and mechanistically separated from endogenous MHC class I-restricted antigen presentation and is biased toward antigens containing microbial molecular patterns...
- Paveley R, Aynsley S, Turner J, Bourke C, Jenkins S, Cook P, et al. The Mannose Receptor (CD206) is an important pattern recognition receptor (PRR) in the detection of the infective stage of the helminth Schistosoma mansoni and modulates IFN? production. Int J Parasitol. 2011;41:1335-45 pubmed publisher..mansoni were shown to contain a large number of glycosylated components specific for the Mannose Receptor (MR; CD206), which is an important pattern recognition receptor (PRR) of the innate immune system...
- Lee S, Zheng N, Clavijo M, Nussenzweig M. Normal host defense during systemic candidiasis in mannose receptor-deficient mice. Infect Immun. 2003;71:437-45 pubmed..We conclude that the MR is not required for the normal host defense during disseminated candidiasis or for the phagocytosis of C. albicans and that a beta-glucan receptor may be required for C. albicans phagocytosis. ..
- Jaiswal M, Gilman Sachs A, Chaouat G, Beaman K. Placental ATPase expression is a link between multiple causes of spontaneous abortion in mice. Biol Reprod. 2011;85:626-34 pubmed publisher..This strengthens our hypothesis that a2V regulates the delicate cytokine and chemokine networks that coordinate the recruitment of macrophages for successful placental development and growth at the feto-maternal interface. ..
- deSchoolmeester M, Martinez Pomares L, Gordon S, Else K. The mannose receptor binds Trichuris muris excretory/secretory proteins but is not essential for protective immunity. Immunology. 2009;126:246-55 pubmed publisher..This work suggests that, despite binding components of T. muris E/S, the MR is not critically involved in the generation of the immune response to this parasite...
- Kim H, Lee H, Lee G, Jang H, Kim S, Yoon H, et al. Phospholipase A2 inhibits cisplatin-induced acute kidney injury by modulating regulatory T cells by the CD206 mannose receptor. Kidney Int. 2015;88:550-9 pubmed publisher..These renoprotective effects were abolished by depletion of Treg cells. Furthermore, PLA2 bound to CD206 mannose receptors on dendritic cells, essential for the PLA2-mediated protective effects on renal dysfunction...
- Su Y, Bakker T, Harris J, Tsang C, Brown G, Wormald M, et al. Glycosylation influences the lectin activities of the macrophage mannose receptor. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:32811-20 pubmed..i) It is required for mannose recognition; and (ii) it modulates the tendency of MR to self-associate, effectively regulating the avidity of the CR domain for sulfated sugar ligands. ..
- Sturge J, Todd S, Kogianni G, McCarthy A, Isacke C. Mannose receptor regulation of macrophage cell migration. J Leukoc Biol. 2007;82:585-93 pubmed..The mannose receptor (MR; CD206, previously known as the macrophage MR) is a 175-kDa type I transmembrane glycoprotein and is a member of a family ..
- Stoppelkamp S, Reid D, Yeoh J, Taylor J, McKenzie E, Brown G, et al. Murine pattern recognition receptor dectin-1 is essential in the development of experimental autoimmune uveoretinitis. Mol Immunol. 2015;67:398-406 pubmed publisher..Thus dectin-1 plays a critical role in the ability of complete Freund's adjuvant to induce EAU in mice. ..
- Akilov O, Kasuboski R, Carter C, McDowell M. The role of mannose receptor during experimental leishmaniasis. J Leukoc Biol. 2007;81:1188-96 pubmed..Thus, we conclude that the MR is not essential for host defense against Leishmania infection or regulation of IL-12 production. ..
- Mi Y, Shapiro S, Baenziger J. Regulation of lutropin circulatory half-life by the mannose/N-acetylgalactosamine-4-SO4 receptor is critical for implantation in vivo. J Clin Invest. 2002;109:269-76 pubmed..Thus, the Man/GalNAc-4-SO4 receptor regulates the endocrinological status of the female and is essential for an early event in embryonic development. ..
- Tsuruta T, Inoue R, Nagino T, Nishibayashi R, Makioka Y, Ushida K. Role of the mannose receptor in phagocytosis of Enterococcus faecalis strain EC-12 by antigen-presenting cells. Microbiologyopen. 2013;2:610-7 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that MR plays a major role in EC-12 phagocytosis by the APCs. ..
- Salmi M, Karikoski M, Elima K, Rantakari P, Jalkanen S. CD44 binds to macrophage mannose receptor on lymphatic endothelium and supports lymphocyte migration via afferent lymphatics. Circ Res. 2013;112:1577-82 pubmed publisher..These data identify a new counter-receptor for MRC and reveal CD44 as a new molecule involved in the poorly understood process of lymphocyte transit via the lymphatic vasculature. ..
- Du H, Levine M, Ganesa C, Witte D, Cole E, Grabowski G. The role of mannosylated enzyme and the mannose receptor in enzyme replacement therapy. Am J Hum Genet. 2005;77:1061-74 pubmed..internalized by cultured fibroblasts, whereas both chLAL and phLAL were taken up by macrophage mannose receptor (MMR)-positive J774E cells...
- Doz E, Rose S, Nigou J, Gilleron M, Puzo G, Erard F, et al. Acylation determines the toll-like receptor (TLR)-dependent positive versus TLR2-, mannose receptor-, and SIGNR1-independent negative regulation of pro-inflammatory cytokines by mycobacterial lipomannan. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:26014-25 pubmed
- Sly W, Vogler C, Grubb J, Levy B, Galvin N, Tan Y, et al. Enzyme therapy in mannose receptor-null mucopolysaccharidosis VII mice defines roles for the mannose 6-phosphate and mannose receptors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:15172-7 pubmed..This approach delivers a larger fraction of enzyme to MPR-expressing tissues, thus enhancing the effectiveness of MPR-targeted ERT. ..
- Burgdorf S, Lukacs Kornek V, Kurts C. The mannose receptor mediates uptake of soluble but not of cell-associated antigen for cross-presentation. J Immunol. 2006;176:6770-6 pubmed..Uptake of cell-associated OVA was unaffected by MR deficiency, resulting in unchanged activation of OT-I cells. These findings demonstrate that DC use the MR for endocytosis of a particular Ag type intended for cross-presentation. ..
- Dai K, Huang L, Sun X, Yang L, Gong Z. Hepatic CD206-positive macrophages express amphiregulin to promote the immunosuppressive activity of regulatory T cells in HBV infection. J Leukoc Biol. 2015;98:1071-80 pubmed publisher..We found that F4/80(+)CD206(+)CD80(lo/+) macrophages were a particular hepatic macrophage subset that expressed amphiregulin in our mouse ..
- Squadrito M, Pucci F, Magri L, Moi D, Gilfillan G, Ranghetti A, et al. miR-511-3p modulates genetic programs of tumor-associated macrophages. Cell Rep. 2012;1:141-54 pubmed publisherExpression of the mannose receptor (MRC1/CD206) identifies macrophage subtypes, such as alternatively activated macrophages (AAMs) and M2-polarized tumor-associated macrophages (TAMs), which are endowed with tissue-remodeling, ..
- Dieterich L, Klein S, Mathelier A, Sliwa Primorac A, Ma Q, Hong Y, et al. DeepCAGE Transcriptomics Reveal an Important Role of the Transcription Factor MAFB in the Lymphatic Endothelium. Cell Rep. 2015;13:1493-1504 pubmed publisher..Correspondingly, E14.5 Mafb(-/-) embryos showed impaired lymphatic patterning in the skin. This suggests that MAFB is an important TF involved in lymphangiogenesis. ..
- Autenrieth S, Autenrieth I. Variable antigen uptake due to different expression of the macrophage mannose receptor by dendritic cells in various inbred mouse strains. Immunology. 2009;127:523-9 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, receptors involved in antigen uptake such as the macrophage mannose receptor may be differentially expressed and may explain variations of T-cell responses after vaccination in different individuals. ..
- Su Y, Royle L, Radcliffe C, Harvey D, Dwek R, Martinez Pomares L, et al. Detailed N-glycan analysis of mannose receptor purified from murine spleen indicates tissue specific sialylation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009;384:436-43 pubmed publisher..Our study provides a profile of MR N-linked glycosylation that will facilitate our understanding of their physiological role on MR biology in vivo. ..
- DeFalco T, Bhattacharya I, Williams A, Sams D, Capel B. Yolk-sac-derived macrophages regulate fetal testis vascularization and morphogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:E2384-93 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal a previously unappreciated role for macrophages in testis morphogenesis and suggest that macrophages are an intermediary between neovascularization and organ architecture during fetal organogenesis. ..
- Eichbaum Q, Heney D, Raveh D, Chung M, Davidson M, Epstein J, et al. Murine macrophage mannose receptor promoter is regulated by the transcription factors PU.1 and SP1. Blood. 1997;90:4135-43 pubmed..This study indicates that MR gene expression is regulated in part by the interaction between the ubiquitously expressed factor Sp1 and the lymphoid/myeloid factor PU.1 and provides a basis for studying the regulation of this gene. ..
- Ng W, Liong S, Tate M, Irimura T, Denda Nagai K, Brooks A, et al. The macrophage galactose-type lectin can function as an attachment and entry receptor for influenza virus. J Virol. 2014;88:1659-72 pubmed publisher..Together, these studies identify MGL1 as a cell surface glycoprotein that can act as an authentic receptor for both attachment and infectious entry of IAV. ..
- Vukman K, Ravidà A, Aldridge A, O Neill S. Mannose receptor and macrophage galactose-type lectin are involved in Bordetella pertussis mast cell interaction. J Leukoc Biol. 2013;94:439-48 pubmed publisher..Syk was involved in the CLR-mediated activation of mast cells by BP. Bacterial recognition by immune cells has been predominantly attributed to TLRs; in this study, the novel role of CLRs in the BP-mast cell interaction is highlighted. ..
- Emara M, Royer P, Abbas Z, Sewell H, Mohamed G, Singh S, et al. Recognition of the major cat allergen Fel d 1 through the cysteine-rich domain of the mannose receptor determines its allergenicity. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:13033-40 pubmed publisher..Our data show for the first time that Fel d 1 is a novel ligand of the cysteine-rich domain of MR and that MR is likely to play a pivotal role in allergic sensitization to airborne allergens in vivo. ..
- Chavele K, Martinez Pomares L, Domin J, Pemberton S, Haslam S, Dell A, et al. Mannose receptor interacts with Fc receptors and is critical for the development of crescentic glomerulonephritis in mice. J Clin Invest. 2010;120:1469-78 pubmed publisher..We suggest that targeting MR may provide an alternative therapeutic approach in CGN while minimizing the impact on adaptive immune responses, which are affected by conventional immunosuppressive approaches...
- Kambara K, Ohashi W, Tomita K, Takashina M, Fujisaka S, Hayashi R, et al. In vivo depletion of CD206+ M2 macrophages exaggerates lung injury in endotoxemic mice. Am J Pathol. 2015;185:162-71 pubmed publisher..To study whether M2 macrophages can modify inflammation, we depleted M2 macrophages from lungs of CD206-diphtheria toxin (DT) receptor transgenic (Tg) mice during challenge with lipopolysaccharide. The i.p...
- Liu Y, Chirino A, Misulovin Z, Leteux C, Feizi T, Nussenzweig M, et al. Crystal structure of the cysteine-rich domain of mannose receptor complexed with a sulfated carbohydrate ligand. J Exp Med. 2000;191:1105-16 pubmed..We use the structures to rationalize the carbohydrate binding specificities of Cys-MR and compare the recognition properties of Cys-MR with other beta-trefoil proteins. ..
- Lichanska A, Browne C, Henkel G, Murphy K, Ostrowski M, McKercher S, et al. Differentiation of the mononuclear phagocyte system during mouse embryogenesis: the role of transcription factor PU.1. Blood. 1999;94:127-38 pubmed..The results support previous evidence that yolk sac-derived fetal phagocytes are functionally distinct from those arising in the liver and develop via a different pathway. ..
- Geier H, Celli J. Phagocytic receptors dictate phagosomal escape and intracellular proliferation of Francisella tularensis. Infect Immun. 2011;79:2204-14 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results demonstrate that opsonophagocytic receptors alter the intracellular fate of Francisella by delivering bacteria through phagocytic pathways that restrict phagosomal escape and intracellular proliferation...
- Everts B, Hussaarts L, Driessen N, Meevissen M, Schramm G, van der Ham A, et al. Schistosome-derived omega-1 drives Th2 polarization by suppressing protein synthesis following internalization by the mannose receptor. J Exp Med. 2012;209:1753-67, S1 pubmed..These experiments reveal an unrecognized pathway involving MR and interference with protein synthesis that conditions DCs for Th2 priming...
- Heinsbroek S, Squadrito M, Schilderink R, Hilbers F, Verseijden C, Hofmann M, et al. miR-511-3p, embedded in the macrophage mannose receptor gene, contributes to intestinal inflammation. Mucosal Immunol. 2016;9:960-73 pubmed publisherMiR-511-3p is embedded in intron 5 of the CD206/MRC1 gene Mrc1, expressed by macrophage and dendritic cell populations. CD206 and miR-511-3p expression are co-regulated, and their contribution to intestinal inflammation is unclear...
- Zietara N, Łyszkiewicz M, Puchałka J, Pei G, Gutierrez M, Lienenklaus S, et al. Immunoglobulins drive terminal maturation of splenic dendritic cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:2282-7 pubmed publisher..This unexpected dependency of splenic DCs on Ig to cross-present antigen provides insights into the interplay between cellular and humoral immunity and the immunomodulatory capacity of Ig. ..
- Narita M, Bu G, Herz J, Schwartz A. Two receptor systems are involved in the plasma clearance of tissue-type plasminogen activator (t-PA) in vivo. J Clin Invest. 1995;96:1164-8 pubmed..Our results clearly demonstrate that two independent receptor systems, LRP and the mannose receptor, are involved in the hepatic clearance of t-PA. ..
- Poobalasingam T, Yates L, Walker S, Pereira M, Gross N, Ali A, et al. Heterozygous Vangl2Looptail mice reveal novel roles for the planar cell polarity pathway in adult lung homeostasis and repair. Dis Model Mech. 2017;10:409-423 pubmed publisher..Our data reveal an important novel role for the PCP pathway in adult lung homeostasis and repair and shed new light on the genetic factors which may modify destructive lung diseases such as emphysema. ..
- Sager H, Heidt T, Hulsmans M, Dutta P, Courties G, Sebas M, et al. Targeting Interleukin-1Î² Reduces Leukocyte Production After Acute Myocardial Infarction. Circulation. 2015;132:1880-90 pubmed publisher..The presented insight into post-MI bone marrow activation identifies a mechanistic target for muting inflammation in the ischemically damaged heart. ..
- Yang W, Aziz P, Heithoff D, Mahan M, Smith J, Marth J. An intrinsic mechanism of secreted protein aging and turnover. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:13657-62 pubmed publisher..This intrinsic multifactorial mechanism of secreted protein aging and turnover contributes to health and the outcomes of disease. ..
- Moseman A, Moseman E, Schworer S, Smirnova I, Volkova T, von Andrian U, et al. Mannose receptor 1 mediates cellular uptake and endosomal delivery of CpG-motif containing oligodeoxynucleotides. J Immunol. 2013;191:5615-24 pubmed publisher..We show that mannose receptor 1 (MRC1; CD206) is involved in CpG ODN uptake and trafficking in wild-derived MOLF/Ei peritoneal macrophages...
- Hashino M, Tachibana M, Shimizu T, Watarai M. Mannose receptor, C type 1 contributes to bacterial uptake by placental trophoblast giant cells. FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol. 2012;66:427-35 pubmed publisher..In this study, we investigated the involvement of the mannose receptor, C type 1 (MRC1), in the uptake of the abortion-inducible bacterium Listeria monocytogenes and abortion-uninducible bacteria ..
- Court N, Vasseur V, Vacher R, Fremond C, Shebzukhov Y, Yeremeev V, et al. Partial redundancy of the pattern recognition receptors, scavenger receptors, and C-type lectins for the long-term control of Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection. J Immunol. 2010;184:7057-70 pubmed publisher..tuberculosis infection, in sharp contrast with the nonredundant, essential role of the TNF, IL-1, or IFN-gamma pathway for host resistance to M. tuberculosis. ..
- Upham J, Pickett D, Irimura T, Anders E, Reading P. Macrophage receptors for influenza A virus: role of the macrophage galactose-type lectin and mannose receptor in viral entry. J Virol. 2010;84:3730-7 pubmed publisher..by influenza virus, our earlier study indicated involvement of a C-type lectin, the macrophage mannose receptor (MMR), in this process...
- Mi Y, Coonce M, Fiete D, Steirer L, Dveksler G, Townsend R, et al. Functional Consequences of Mannose and Asialoglycoprotein Receptor Ablation. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:18700-17 pubmed publisherThe mannose receptor (ManR, Mrc1) and asialoglycoprotein receptor (ASGR, Asgr1 and Asgr2) are highly abundant endocytic receptors expressed by sinusoidal endothelial cells and parenchymal cells in the liver, respectively...
- Yano J, Palmer G, Eberle K, Peters B, Vogl T, McKenzie A, et al. Vaginal epithelial cell-derived S100 alarmins induced by Candida albicans via pattern recognition receptor interactions are sufficient but not necessary for the acute neutrophil response during experimental vaginal candidiasis. Infect Immun. 2014;82:783-92 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that S100A8 alarmin is sufficient, but not necessary, to induce PMN migration during VVC and that the vaginal PMN response to C. albicans involves PRRs in addition to SIGNR1 and TLR4, or other induction pathways. ..
- Liu Y, Misulovin Z, Bjorkman P. The molecular mechanism of sulfated carbohydrate recognition by the cysteine-rich domain of mannose receptor. J Mol Biol. 2001;305:481-90 pubmed..The structures are used to rationalize the binding affinities derived from the biochemical studies and to elucidate the molecular mechanism of sulfated carbohydrate recognition by Cys-MR. ..
- Shi S, Blumenthal A, Hickey C, Gandotra S, Levy D, Ehrt S. Expression of many immunologically important genes in Mycobacterium tuberculosis-infected macrophages is independent of both TLR2 and TLR4 but dependent on IFN-alphabeta receptor and STAT1. J Immunol. 2005;175:3318-28 pubmed
- Shin Y, Martin B, Golden E, Dotson C, Maudsley S, Kim W, et al. Modulation of taste sensitivity by GLP-1 signaling. J Neurochem. 2008;106:455-63 pubmed publisher..A modest increase in citric acid taste sensitivity in these knockout mice suggests GLP-1 signaling may modulate sour taste, as well. Together, these findings suggest a novel paracrine mechanism for the regulation of taste function. ..
- Li X, Fleis R, Shubitowski D, Ramadas R, Ewart S. Fine mapping of murine asthma quantitative trait loci and analyses of Ptgs1 and Mrc1 as positional candidate genes. DNA Seq. 2007;18:190-5 pubmed..Additionally, we explore prostaglandin-endoperoxide synthase-1 (Ptgs1) and mannose receptor C-type 1 (Mrc1) genes as two new positional candidate genes for allergen-induced airway hyperresponsiveness through comparative ..
- Marttila Ichihara F, Turja R, Miiluniemi M, Karikoski M, Maksimow M, Niemela J, et al. Macrophage mannose receptor on lymphatics controls cell trafficking. Blood. 2008;112:64-72 pubmed publisher..Blocking of MR may provide a new approach to controlling inflammation and cancer metastasis by targeting the lymphatic vasculature. ..
- Harris N, Super M, Rits M, Chang G, Ezekowitz R. Characterization of the murine macrophage mannose receptor: demonstration that the downregulation of receptor expression mediated by interferon-gamma occurs at the level of transcription. Blood. 1992;80:2363-73 pubmedThe macrophage mannose receptor (MMR) is a 175-Kd cell-surface transmembrane glycoprotein that is expressed on tissue macrophages where it functions both to mediate the uptake of mannose-rich glycoproteins and as a phagocytic receptor ..
- Madsen D, Leonard D, Masedunskas A, Moyer A, Jürgensen H, Peters D, et al. M2-like macrophages are responsible for collagen degradation through a mannose receptor-mediated pathway. J Cell Biol. 2013;202:951-66 pubmed publisher..Genetic ablation of the collagen receptors mannose receptor (Mrc1) and urokinase plasminogen activator receptor-associated protein (Endo180 and Mrc2) impaired this intracellular ..
- Segura E, Albiston A, Wicks I, Chai S, Villadangos J. Different cross-presentation pathways in steady-state and inflammatory dendritic cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:20377-81 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that the mechanisms responsible for cross-priming by steady-state and inflammatory DC are different, which has important implications for vaccine design. ..
- Viriyakosol S, Jimenez M, Saijo S, Fierer J. Neither dectin-2 nor the mannose receptor is required for resistance to Coccidioides immitis in mice. Infect Immun. 2014;82:1147-56 pubmed publisher..C57BL/6 (B6) mice and in the interaction of myeloid cells with spherules, using B6 mice with targeted mutations in Mrc1 and Clec4n...
- Mishra P, Morris E, Garcia J, Cardona A, Teale J. Increased accumulation of regulatory granulocytic myeloid cells in mannose receptor C type 1-deficient mice correlates with protection in a mouse model of neurocysticercosis. Infect Immun. 2013;81:1052-63 pubmed publisher..with the related parasite Mesocestoides corti, we have investigated the role of mannose receptor C type 1 (MRC1), a CLR which recognizes high-mannose-containing glycan antigens...
- Dan J, Kelly R, Lee C, Levitz S. Role of the mannose receptor in a murine model of Cryptococcus neoformans infection. Infect Immun. 2008;76:2362-7 pubmed publisher..Key to the immunogenicity of MP is its capacity to bind to the conserved mannose receptor (MR), CD206, on dendritic cells (DCs). To test the role of the MR in the immune response to C...
- Elvevold K, Simon Santamaria J, Hasvold H, McCourt P, Smedsrød B, Sørensen K. Liver sinusoidal endothelial cells depend on mannose receptor-mediated recruitment of lysosomal enzymes for normal degradation capacity. Hepatology. 2008;48:2007-15 pubmed publisher..We show for the first time that LSEC depend on MR-mediated recruitment of LE from their surroundings for effective catabolism of endocytosed macromolecules. ..
- Van den Bossche J, Baardman J, Otto N, van der Velden S, Neele A, van den Berg S, et al. Mitochondrial Dysfunction Prevents Repolarization of Inflammatory Macrophages. Cell Rep. 2016;17:684-696 pubmed publisher..Therapeutically restoring mitochondrial function might be useful to improve the reprogramming of inflammatory macrophages into anti-inflammatory cells to control disease. ..