Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Mmp2
Description: matrix metallopeptidase 2
Alias: Clg4a, GelA, MMP-2, 72 kDa type IV collagenase, 72 kDa gelatinase, 72kD gelatinase, 72kD type IV collagenase, 72kDa gelatinase, 72kDa type IV collagenase, gelatinase A, matrix metalloproteinase 2
Publications140 found, 100 shown here
- Matrix metalloproteinase-2-mediated occludin degradation and caveolin-1-mediated claudin-5 redistribution contribute to blood-brain barrier damage in early ischemic stroke stageJie Liu
Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, University of South China School of Medicine, Hengyang, Hunan 421001, China
J Neurosci 32:3044-57. 2012....
- Microglia emerge from erythromyeloid precursors via Pu.1- and Irf8-dependent pathwaysKatrin Kierdorf
Department of Neuropathology, University of Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
Nat Neurosci 16:273-80. 2013..Our data provide cellular and molecular insights into the origin and development of microglia...
- Membrane-type 1 matrix metalloproteinase regulates macrophage-dependent elastolytic activity and aneurysm formation in vivoWanfen Xiong
Department of Surgery, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, Nebraska, 68198, USA
J Biol Chem 284:1765-71. 2009..These studies demonstrate that destruction of the elastin fiber network during AAA formation is dependent on macrophage-derived MT1-MMP, which unexpectedly serves as a direct-acting regulator of macrophage proteolytic activity...
- Exercise training stimulates ischemia-induced neovascularization via phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/Akt-dependent hypoxia-induced factor-1 alpha reactivation in mice of advanced ageXian Wu Cheng
Department of Cardiovascular Research Medicine, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, Nagoya, Japan
Circulation 122:707-16. 2010..Here, we report that swimming training (ST) modulates the vascular response to ischemia in aged (24-month-old) mice...
- The mouse Fused toes (Ft) mutation is the result of a 1.6-Mb deletion including the entire Iroquois B gene clusterThomas Peters
Institut für Entwicklungs und Molekularbiologie der Tiere EMT, Heinrich Heine Universitat, Universitatsstr 1, 40225 Dusseldorf, Germany
Mamm Genome 13:186-8. 2002..6 Mb of genomic sequences on mouse Chromosome 8. Owing to this deletion, six genes, including the entire IroquoisB (IrxB) gene cluster, are directly affected by the Ft mutation...
- Vesicular trafficking and secretion of matrix metalloproteinases-2, -9 and tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases-1 in neuronal cellsOualid Sbai
Neurobiologie des Interactions Cellulaires et Neurophysiopathologie NICN, UMR 6184 CNRS Université de la Méditerranée, Faculte de Medecine, IFR Jean Roche, Bd Pierre Dramard, 13916 Marseille Cedex 20, France
Mol Cell Neurosci 39:549-68. 2008..Our results show differential trafficking of MMP and TIMP-1-containing vesicles in neuronal cells and suggest that these vesicles could play a role in neuronal and synaptic plasticity...
- Occurrence and temporal variation in matrix metalloproteinases and their inhibitors during murine secondary palatal morphogenesisJ Morris-Wiman
Department of Orthodontics, College of Dentistry, University of Florida, Gainesville, USA
J Craniofac Genet Dev Biol 19:201-12. 1999..The results of this study demonstrate that MMPs 2, 3, 7, 9 and 13 and TIMPs 1 and 2 and their messages are present during the course of palatal shelf remodelling and that their expression is temporally regulated...
- Cardiac transgenic matrix metalloproteinase-2 expression induces myxomatous valve degeneration: a potential model of mitral valve prolapse diseaseRajeev Mahimkar
Department of Medicine, SFVAMC University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, USA
Cardiovasc Pathol 18:253-61. 2009..In myxomatous valves, interstitial cells express extracellular matrix-degrading enzymes and it has been postulated that matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) contribute to these changes...
- Angiotensin II-induced MMP-2 activity and MMP-14 and basigin protein expression are mediated via the angiotensin II receptor type 1-mitogen-activated protein kinase 1 pathway in retinal pigment epithelium: implications for age-related macular degenerationMarianne Pons
Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, University of Miami, Miami, Florida, USA
Am J Pathol 178:2665-81. 2011..A better understanding of the molecular events by which Ang II induces ECM dysregulation is of critical importance to further define its contribution to the progression of sub-RPE deposits in AMD patients with HTN...
- Increased blood-brain barrier permeability and brain edema after focal cerebral ischemia induced by hyperlipidemia: role of lipid peroxidation and calpain-1/2, matrix metalloproteinase-2/9, and RhoA overactivationAyman ElAli
Department of Neurology, University Hospital Essen, Hufelandstrasse 55, D 45122 Essen, Germany
Stroke 42:3238-44. 2011..Hyperlipidemia is a highly prevalent risk factor for ischemic stroke. Its impact on brain injury and blood-brain barrier permeability, so far, has not been assessed in animal models of ischemic stroke...
- Timp-1, -2 and -3 show coexpression with gelatinases A and B during mouse tooth morphogenesisC Sahlberg
Institute of Biotechnology, Viikki Biocenter, University of Helsinki, Finland
Eur J Oral Sci 107:121-30. 1999..We analyzed by in situ hybridization the expression of gelatinase A (MMP-2) and gelatinase B (MMP-9) as well as Timp-1, -2 and -3 during different stages of mouse tooth ..
- Differential expression of tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases type 1 (TIMP-1) during mouse gonad developmentRomain Guyot
INSERM U329, Hopital Debrousse, Lyon, France
Dev Dyn 227:357-66. 2003..Experiments are now under way to determine to what extent TIMP-1 is a morphogenic gene involved in seminiferous cord formation and development...
- Vascular cell adhesion molecule 1 (VCAM-1) activation of endothelial cell matrix metalloproteinases: role of reactive oxygen speciesTracy L Deem
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, PO Box 670529, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0529, USA
Blood 104:2385-93. 2004..In summary, this is the first report of a mechanism for ROS function in VCAM-1 activation of endothelial cell MMPs during VCAM-1-dependent lymphocyte migration...
- Increased expression of HIF-1alpha, VEGF-A and its receptors, MMP-2, TIMP-1, and ADAMTS-1 at the venous stenosis of arteriovenous fistula in a mouse model with renal insufficiencySanjay Misra
Department of Radiology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, 200 First Street SW, Alfred 6460, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Vasc Interv Radiol 21:1255-61. 2010....
- 3-phosphoinositide-dependent protein kinase-1 (PDK1) promotes invasion and activation of matrix metalloproteinasesZhihui Xie
Department of Oncology, Georgetown University School of Medicine, and Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center, Washington, DC, USA
BMC Cancer 6:77. 2006..These properties correlate with induction of MMP-2 activity, increased MT1-MMP expression and a unique gene expression profile...
- Leptin regulates MMP-2, TIMP-1 and collagen synthesis via p38 MAPK in HL-1 murine cardiomyocytesKristin Schram
Department of Biology, York University, Toronto, Canada
Cell Mol Biol Lett 15:551-63. 2010..In summary, these results demonstrate the potential for leptin to play a role in mediating myocardial ECM remodeling and that the p38 MAPK pathway plays an important role in mediating these effects...
- Elevated glucose inhibits VEGF-A-mediated endocardial cushion formation: modulation by PECAM-1 and MMP-2Josephine M Enciso
Department of Pathology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520 8023, USA
J Cell Biol 160:605-15. 2003....
- Distinctive functions of membrane type 1 matrix-metalloprotease (MT1-MMP or MMP-14) in lung and submandibular gland development are independent of its role in pro-MMP-2 activationSamantha A Oblander
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Lerner Research Institute, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Dev Biol 277:255-69. 2005..b>Mmp2-/- mice lacked comparable defects in the lung and submandibular gland, suggesting that MT1-MMP acts via mechanisms ..
- Tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase 1 regulates resistance to infectionMarie Mei Lee
Division of Nutritional Sciences, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Infect Immun 73:661-5. 2005..Increased resistance was also seen during pulmonary infections. These results identify a novel pathway regulating infection resistance...
- Membrane-type 1 matrix metalloproteinase is required for normal alveolar developmentJeffrey J Atkinson
Department of Internal Medicine, Pulmonary and Critical Care Division, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri, USA
Dev Dyn 232:1079-90. 2005..These data indicate that MT1-MMP is required for normal lung development...
- Endogenous attenuation of allergic lung inflammation by syndecan-1Jie Xu
Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Immunol 174:5758-65. 2005....
- Caveolin-1 inhibits matrix metalloproteinase-2 activity in the heartA K Chow
Department of Pediatrics, Cardiovascular Research Group, University of Alberta, 4 62 Heritage Medical Research Centre, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2S2
J Mol Cell Cardiol 42:896-901. 2007..These data suggest that Cav-1 plays a role in regulating MMP-2 activity. Cav-1 may thus be a novel mechanism to regulate MMP-2 activity in the heart...
- Interleukin-1 and tumor necrosis factor-alpha induce collagenolysis and bone resorption by regulation of matrix metalloproteinase-2 in mouse calvarial bone cellsBong Seok Kang
National Research Laboratory for Glycobiology, and Department of Biochemistry and Oriental Medicine, Dongguk University COM, Kyungju, Korea
Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol 25:347-64. 2003..Interleukin-1beta markedly enhanced the messenger RNAs (mRNAs) expression of MMP-2 (gelatinase A), but slightly MMP-9 (gelatinase B), which associated with increases in bone matrix degradation...
- Molecular cloning of murine 72-kDa type IV collagenase and its expression during mouse developmentP Reponen
Biocenter Oulu, University of Oulu, Finland
J Biol Chem 267:7856-62. 1992..The mouse cDNA clones reported in this study may provide important tools unraveling the actual roles of these enzymes in vivo...
- Genes for extracellular-matrix-degrading metalloproteinases and their inhibitor, TIMP, are expressed during early mammalian developmentC A Brenner
Laboratory of Radiobiology and Environmental Health, University of California, San Francisco 94143 0750
Genes Dev 3:848-59. 1989..These data suggest that metalloproteinases function in cell-ECM interactions during growth, development, and implantation of mammalian embryos...
- Expression and function of matrix metalloproteinases and their inhibitors at the maternal-embryonic boundary during mouse embryo implantationC M Alexander
Laboratory of Radiobiology, Department of Biopharmaceutical Sciences, University of California, San Francisco, 94143, USA
Development 122:1723-36. 1996..mRNAs for several other MMPs (stromelysin-1, stromelysin-3 and gelatinase A) and MMP inhibitors (TIMP-1 and TIMP-2) were expressed in the undifferentiated stroma toward the outside of the ..
- Matrix metalloproteinases MMP2 and MMP9 are produced in early stages of kidney morphogenesis but only MMP9 is required for renal organogenesis in vitroB Lelongt
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Unité 64, Hopital Tenon, Paris, France
J Cell Biol 136:1363-73. 1997..and zymograms of kidney lysates showed that the mesenchyme of embryonic kidneys synthesized both MMP9 and MMP2 enzymes...
- Matrix metalloproteinases regulate morphogenesis, migration and remodeling of epithelium, tongue skeletal muscle and cartilage in the mandibular archJ R Chin
Department of Anatomy, University of California, San Francisco 94143 0750, USA
Development 124:1519-30. 1997..b>Gelatinase A mRNA transcripts were strongly expressed in the perichondrium of Meckel's cartilage and mesenchymal areas of ..
- Unaltered secretion of beta-amyloid precursor protein in gelatinase A (matrix metalloproteinase 2)-deficient miceT Itoh
Institute for Virus Research, Kyoto University, 53 Kawahara, Syogo in, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 01, Japan
J Biol Chem 272:22389-92. 1997..It has been suggested that the gelatinase A (matrix metalloproteinase 2, a 72-kDa type IV collagenase) may act either as alpha-secretase or as beta-secretase...
- Reduced angiogenesis and tumor progression in gelatinase A-deficient miceT Itoh
Shionogi Institute for Medical Science, Shionogi and Co, Ltd, Osaka, Japan
Cancer Res 58:1048-51. 1998..We investigated the specific role of gelatinase A (matrix metalloproteinase 2) on these events using gelatinase A-deficient mice...
- In vivo evidence that the stromelysin-3 metalloproteinase contributes in a paracrine manner to epithelial cell malignancyR Masson
Institut de Genetique et de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Institut National de la Sant e et de la Recherche M edicale, Universit e Louis Pasteur, Strasbourg, France
J Cell Biol 140:1535-41. 1998..Therefore, ST3 represents an appropriate target for specific MMP inhibitor(s) in future therapeutical approaches directed against the stromal compartment of human carcinomas...
- Diminished matrix metalloproteinase 2 (MMP-2) in ectomesenchyme-derived tissues of the Patch mutant mouse: regulation of MMP-2 by PDGF and effects on mesenchymal cell migrationJ R Robbins
Department of Cell Biology and Physiology, University of New Mexico School of Medicine, 149 Basic Medical Sciences Building, Albuquerque, New Mexico, 87131, USA
Dev Biol 212:255-63. 1999....
- Gelatinase B (MMP-9) is not essential in the normal kidney and does not influence progression of renal disease in a mouse model of Alport syndromeK L Andrews
Renal Division and the Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, The Department of Internal Medicine, The Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Am J Pathol 157:303-11. 2000..Thus, gelB does not have a discernible role in the normal kidney and gelB is not involved in the progression of glomerulonephritis in a mouse model of Alport syndrome...
- Matrix metalloproteinase-9 triggers the angiogenic switch during carcinogenesisG Bergers
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of California, 513 Parnassus Avenue, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Nat Cell Biol 2:737-44. 2000..Absence of MMP-2 does not impair induction of angiogenesis, but retards tumour growth, whereas lack of urokinase has no effect. Our results show that MMP-9 is a component of the angiogenic switch...
- Expression of the type IV collagenase system during mouse kidney development and tubule segmentationB Legallicier
INSERM U489, Tenon Hospital and St Antoine Medical Faculty, Paris 6 University, Paris, France
J Am Soc Nephrol 12:2358-69. 2001Type IV collagenases matrix metalloproteinase-2 (MMP2) and MMP9 and their related proteins, MT1-MMP, tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases 1 (TIMP1), TIMP2, and TIMP3, are expressed during kidney morphogenesis and nephrogenesis, but the ..
- Diminished corneal angiogenesis in gelatinase A-deficient miceT Kato
The Schepens Eye Research Institute, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
FEBS Lett 508:187-90. 2001The goal of the present study was to define the role of gelatinase A in angiogenesis. We performed corneal micropocket assays in gelatinase A-deficient mice and their age-matched wild-type littermates...
- Signaling through the EGF receptor controls lung morphogenesis in part by regulating MT1-MMP-mediated activation of gelatinase A/MMP2Farrah Kheradmand
Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Cell Sci 115:839-48. 2002..Egfr(-/-) mice had low expression of MT1-MMP/MMP14, which is a potent activator of gelatinase A/MMP2, in their lungs...
- Involvement of a matrix metalloproteinase in MIS-induced cell death during urogenital developmentLori M Roberts
Department of Physiology, Graduate Programs in Biomedical Sciences, University of California San Francisco, Box 0444, San Francisco, CA 94143 0444, USA
Development 129:1487-96. 2002..We have identified a member of the matrix metalloproteinase gene family, Mmp2, as one of the first candidate target genes downstream of the MIS cascade to function as a paracrine death factor ..
- Decreased allergic lung inflammatory cell egression and increased susceptibility to asphyxiation in MMP2-deficiencyDavid B Corry
Biology of Inflammation Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Nat Immunol 3:347-53. 2002Clearance of recruited immune cells is necessary to resolve inflammatory reactions. We show here that matrix metalloproteinase 2 (MMP2), as part of an interleukin 13 (IL-13)-dependent regulatory loop, dampens inflammation by promoting the ..
- Matrix metalloproteinases 9 and 2 are necessary for the migration of Langerhans cells and dermal dendritic cells from human and murine skinGudrun Ratzinger
Department of Dermatology, University of Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria
J Immunol 168:4361-71. 2002..These data underscore the importance of MMPs, and they may be of relevance for therapeutically regulating dendritic cell migration in clinical vaccination approaches...
- The role of matrix metalloproteinase-2 and matrix metalloproteinase-9 in antibody-induced arthritisTakeshi Itoh
Discovery Research Laboratories, Shionogi and Co, Ltd, Toyonaka City, Osaka, Japan
J Immunol 169:2643-7. 2002..Among them, the family of gelatinases (MMP-2/gelatinase A and MMP-9/gelatinase B) is overproduced in the joints of patients with rheumatoid arthritis...
- Matrix metalloproteinases 2 and 9 work in concert to produce aortic aneurysmsG Matthew Longo
Department of Surgery, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, Nebraska 68198 7690, USA
J Clin Invest 110:625-32. 2002..These findings suggest that macrophage-derived MMP-9 and mesenchymal cell MMP-2 are both required and work in concert to produce AAA...
- Reduced choroidal neovascular membrane formation in matrix metalloproteinase-2-deficient miceLennart Berglin
Department of Ophthalmology, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 44:403-8. 2003..To investigate further, the current study was conducted to observe the formation of experimental CNV in MMP-2-deficient mice...
- Deficiency of gelatinase a suppresses smooth muscle cell invasion and development of experimental intimal hyperplasiaMasafumi Kuzuya
Department of Geriatrics, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, Toyonaka, Nagoya 466 8550, Japan
Circulation 108:1375-81. 2003..To define the role of MMP-2 in arterial remodeling, we evaluated the influence of the targeted deletion of the MMP-2 gene on vascular remodeling after flow cessation in the murine carotid arteries...
- Site-specific inductive and inhibitory activities of MMP-2 and MMP-3 orchestrate mammary gland branching morphogenesisBryony S Wiseman
Department of Anatomy, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 0452, USA
J Cell Biol 162:1123-33. 2003..Nevertheless, the mammary gland is able to develop lactational competence in MMP mutant mice. Thus, specific MMPs refine the mammary branching pattern by distinct mechanisms during mammary gland branching morphogenesis...
- Matrix metalloproteinase-2 and -9 differentially regulate smooth muscle cell migration and cell-mediated collagen organizationChad Johnson
Wallace Coulter Department of Biomedical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology and Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 24:54-60. 2004..We compared the specific contributions of these enzymes to SMC-matrix interactions in vitro and in vivo...
- Reduced retinal angiogenesis in MMP-2-deficient miceKyoko Ohno-Matsui
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, 1 5 45 Yushima, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113, Japan
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 44:5370-5. 2003....
- Overlapping and independent contributions of MMP2 and MMP9 to lung allergic inflammatory cell egression through decreased CC chemokinesDavid B Corry
Baylor College of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
FASEB J 18:995-7. 2004..Previously, we demonstrated the importance of matrix metalloproteinase 2 (MMP2) for airway egression of lung eosinophils, a critical anti-inflammatory mechanism without which ..
- Mutations in two matrix metalloproteinase genes, MMP-2 and MT1-MMP, are synthetic lethal in miceJunseo Oh
Department of Molecular Oncology, Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine, Yoshida konoe cho, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8501, Japan
Oncogene 23:5041-8. 2004..In the absence of MMP-2 and MT1-MMP, myoblast fusion in vitro is also significantly retarded. These findings suggest functional overlap in mice between the two MMPs with distinct molecular natures...
- Role for matrix metalloproteinase-2 in oxidized low-density lipoprotein-induced activation of the sphingomyelin/ceramide pathway and smooth muscle cell proliferationNathalie Auge
INSERM U 466, Department of Biochemistry, CHU Rangueil, Toulouse, France
Circulation 110:571-8. 2004..MMPs are also able to induce SMC migration and proliferation in addition to extracellular matrix degradation. The present study was designed to investigate whether MMPs play a role in the mitogenic effect of oxLDLs...
- An amino-bisphosphonate targets MMP-9-expressing macrophages and angiogenesis to impair cervical carcinogenesisEnrico Giraudo
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Diabetes Center, and Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
J Clin Invest 114:623-33. 2004....
- Caveolin-1 gene disruption promotes mammary tumorigenesis and dramatically enhances lung metastasis in vivo. Role of Cav-1 in cell invasiveness and matrix metalloproteinase (MMP-2/9) secretionTerence M Williams
Department of Molecular Pharmacology and Medicine, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
J Biol Chem 279:51630-46. 2004..These results demonstrate, for the first time, that caveolin-1 is a potent suppressor of mammary tumor growth and metastasis using novel in vivo animal model approaches...
- MMP-2 null mice exhibit an early onset and severe experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis due to an increase in MMP-9 expression and activityJordi Esparza
Department of Pathology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, USA
FASEB J 18:1682-91. 2004Matrix metalloproteinase-2 (MMP-2; gelatinase A) is known to degrade a broad range of extracellular matrix components and chemokines, and has important roles in the processes of cell migration, invasion, and involution during development, ..
- MT1-MMP-dependent neovessel formation within the confines of the three-dimensional extracellular matrixTae Hwa Chun
Division of Molecular Medicine and Genetics, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
J Cell Biol 167:757-67. 2004....
- Contribution of host MMP-2 and MMP-9 to promote tumor vascularization and invasion of malignant keratinocytesVeronique Masson
Laboratory of Tumor and Development Biology, University of Liege, Liege, Belgium
FASEB J 19:234-6. 2005..Our data demonstrate for the first time in an experimental model that MMP-2 and MMP-9 cooperate in promoting the in vivo invasive and angiogenic phenotype of malignant keratinocytes...
- An MT1-MMP-PDGF receptor-beta axis regulates mural cell investment of the microvasculatureKaisa Lehti
Division of Molecular Medicine and Genetics, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Genes Dev 19:979-91. 2005..Together, these data identify MT1-MMP as a novel proteolytic modifier of PDGF-B/PDGFRbeta signal transduction that cooperatively regulates vessel wall architecture in vivo...
- Retinal vascular development and pathologic retinal angiogenesis are not impaired in matrix metalloproteinase-2 deficient miceSylvia Sarman
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, St Erik s Eye Hospital, SE 112 82 Stockholm, Sweden
Curr Eye Res 30:259-67. 2005..To investigate this further, we have studied retinal vascular development and pathologic ischemia-induced retinal angiogenesis in MMP-2-deficient and wild-type mice...
- Cardiac transgenic matrix metalloproteinase-2 expression directly induces impaired contractilityGuan Ying Wang
Department of Radiology, University of California, San Francisco, USA
Cardiovasc Res 69:688-96. 2006..To directly assess the role of MMP-2 in the absence of superimposed injury, we generated cardiac-specific, constitutively active MMP-2 transgenic mice...
- Intronic regulation of matrix metalloproteinase-2 revealed by in vivo transcriptional analysis in ischemiaJackie G Lee
Division of Vascular Surgery, San Francisco Veterans Affairs Medical Center, and Pacific Vascular Research Laboratory, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94121, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:16345-50. 2005....
- Matrix metalloproteinase-9 from bone marrow-derived cells contributes to survival but not growth of tumor cells in the lung microenvironmentHeath B Acuff
Department of Cancer Biology, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 6840, USA
Cancer Res 66:259-66. 2006..These results provide insights into the failure of MMP inhibitors in clinical trials in patients with late-stage lung cancer...
- Integrin-linked kinase regulates osteopontin-dependent MMP-2 and uPA expression to convey metastatic function in murine mammary epithelial cancer cellsZhiyong Mi
Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Carcinogenesis 27:1134-45. 2006..In 4T1 murine mammary cancer cells, we conclude that OPN mediates metastatic behavior, in part, through upregulation of MMP-2 and uPA protein expression...
- Cardiac ischemia-reperfusion injury induces matrix metalloproteinase-2 expression through the AP-1 components FosB and JunBMaria Alejandra Alfonso-Jaume
Dept of Medicine, 111J, San Francisco Veterans Affairs Medical Center Univ of California San Francisco, 4150 Clement St, San Francisco, CA 94121, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 291:H1838-46. 2006..We conclude that enhanced MMP-2 transcription and translation following I/R injury are mediated by induction, via oxidant stress, of discrete AP-1 transcription factor components...
- Selective ablation of matrix metalloproteinase-2 exacerbates experimental colitis: contrasting role of gelatinases in the pathogenesis of colitisPallavi Garg
Division of Digestive Diseases, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
J Immunol 177:4103-12. 2006..Together, our data suggest that a critical balance between the two gelatinases determines the outcome of inflammatory response during acute colitis...
- A crucial role for matrix metalloproteinase 2 in osteocytic canalicular formation and bone metabolismKeiichi Inoue
Laboratory for Behavioral Genetics, RIKEN Brain Science Institute, Wako, Saitama 351 0198, Japan
J Biol Chem 281:33814-24. 2006..It is not known how the loss of MMP-2 function results in the pathology. Here, we show that Mmp2(-/-) mice exhibited opposing bone phenotypes caused by an impaired osteocytic canalicular network...
- Proteomic identification of in vivo substrates for matrix metalloproteinases 2 and 9 reveals a mechanism for resolution of inflammationKendra J Greenlee
Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Immunol 177:7312-21. 2006..b>MMP2- and MMP9-dependent cleavage of individual Th2 chemokines modulated their chemotactic activity; however, the net ..
- Cardiac matrix metalloproteinase-2 expression independently induces marked ventricular remodeling and systolic dysfunctionMarina R Bergman
Department of Medicine, San Francisco Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center University of California, San Francisco, California 94121, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 292:H1847-60. 2007..5 +/- 1.5 vs. MMP 4.7 +/- 2.0; P = 0.016). Expression of active MMP-2 is sufficient to induce severe ventricular remodeling and systolic dysfunction in the absence of superimposed injury...
- Pharmacologic and genetic manipulation of MMP-2 and -9 affects retinal neovascularization in rodent models of OIRJoshua M Barnett
Vanderbilt Eye Institute, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 48:907-15. 2007..The susceptibilities of MMP-2(-/-) and -9(-/-) mice to preretinal neovascularization were investigated in a mouse model of oxygen-induced retinopathy...
- Role for furin in tumor necrosis factor alpha-induced activation of the matrix metalloproteinase/sphingolipid mitogenic pathwayEdwige Tellier
INSERM U466, Biochimie, IFR 31, CHU Rangueil, 1, avenue Jean Poulhes, TSA 50032, 31059 Toulouse Cedex 9, France
Mol Cell Biol 27:2997-3007. 2007..and in turn requires a proteolytic cascade involving furin, membrane type 1 matrix metalloproteinase (MT1-MMP), and MMP2, and leading finally to extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1/2 (ERK1/2) phosphorylation and DNA synthesis, in ..
- Loss of MMP-2 disrupts skeletal and craniofacial development and results in decreased bone mineralization, joint erosion and defects in osteoblast and osteoclast growthRebecca A Mosig
Department of Genetics and Genomic Sciences, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Hum Mol Genet 16:1113-23. 2007..and Itohara, S. (1997) Unaltered secretion of beta-amyloid precursor protein in gelatinase A (matrix metalloproteinase 2)-deficient mice. J. Biol. Chem., 272, 22389-22392...
- Type I collagen is a genetic modifier of matrix metalloproteinase 2 in murine skeletal developmentMikala Egeblad
Department of Anatomy, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143 0452, USA
Dev Dyn 236:1683-93. 2007Recessive inactivating mutations in human matrix metalloproteinase 2 (MMP2, gelatinase A) are associated with syndromes that include abnormal facial appearance, short stature, and severe bone loss...
- Extracellular collagenases and the endocytic receptor, urokinase plasminogen activator receptor-associated protein/Endo180, cooperate in fibroblast-mediated collagen degradationDaniel H Madsen
Finsen Laboratory, Rigshospitalet, Ole Maaløes Vej 5, DK 2200 Copenhagen N, Denmark
J Biol Chem 282:27037-45. 2007....
- Identification of candidate angiogenic inhibitors processed by matrix metalloproteinase 2 (MMP-2) in cell-based proteomic screens: disruption of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF)/heparin affin regulatory peptide (pleiotrophin) and VEGF/Connective Richard A Dean
University of British Columbia, Centre for Blood Research, 4 401 Life Sciences Institute, 2350 Health Sciences Mall, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada V6T 1Z3
Mol Cell Biol 27:8454-65. 2007..In the Mmp2-/- mouse neovascularization is greatly reduced, but the mechanistic aspects of this remain unclear...
- Matrix metalloproteinase-2 expression and promoter/enhancer activity in skeletal muscle atrophyLaura K Skittone
San Francisco Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 4150 Clement Street 112, San Francisco, California 94121, USA
J Orthop Res 26:357-63. 2008..These findings show that increased MMP-2 activity in disused atrophic muscle and supporting tissues is regulated, at least in part, by increased MMP-2 promoter/enhancer activity...
- The initial steps of ovarian cancer cell metastasis are mediated by MMP-2 cleavage of vitronectin and fibronectinHilary A Kenny
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Section of Gynecologic Oncology, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
J Clin Invest 118:1367-79. 2008..host did not alter OvCa adhesion, as determined utilizing mice harboring homozygous null mutations in either the Mmp2 or Mmp9 genes. Conversely, adhesion induced upregulation of MMP-2 mRNA in OvCa cells...
- Matrix metalloproteinase-9-mediated tissue injury overrides the protective effect of matrix metalloproteinase-2 during colitisPallavi Garg
Division of Digestive Diseases, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 296:G175-84. 2009..Thus inhibition of MMP-9 may be beneficial in treatment of colitis even if resulting in inhibition of MMP-2...
- Role of gelatinases in disuse-induced skeletal muscle atrophyXuhui Liu
San Francisco Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Department of Veterans Affairs, 4150 Clement Street 112, San Francisco, California 94121, USA
Muscle Nerve 41:174-8. 2010Gelatinases are a subgroup of the family of matrix metalloproteinases, which contains two members-gelatinase A and B. These enzymes play an important role in basement membrane homeostasis...
- Matrix metalloproteinases contribute distinct roles in neuroendocrine prostate carcinogenesis, metastasis, and angiogenesis progressionLaurie E Littlepage
Department of Anatomy, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143 0452, USA
Cancer Res 70:2224-34. 2010..Together, these results suggest distinct contributions by MMPs to the progression of aggressive prostate tumor and to helping tumors cleverly find alternative routes to malignant progression...
- Inactivation of chemokine (C-C motif) receptor 1 (CCR1) suppresses colon cancer liver metastasis by blocking accumulation of immature myeloid cells in a mouse modelTakanori Kitamura
Department of Pharmacology, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606 8501, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:13063-8. 2010..They express CCL9/15 receptor CCR1 and produce matrix metalloproteinases MMP2 and MMP9...
- Transgenic expression of matrix metalloproteinase-2 induces coronary artery ectasiaSia Dahi
The Department of Surgery, San Francisco Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center University of California San Francisco and Northern California Institute for Research and Education, San Francisco, CA 94121, USA
Int J Exp Pathol 92:50-6. 2011..Latex casts of the coronary arteries displayed ectasia with fusiform dilatation. The MMP-2 transgenic closely replicates human CAE and supports a critical and initiating role for this enzyme in the pathogenesis of this disorder...
- Titin is a target of matrix metalloproteinase-2: implications in myocardial ischemia/reperfusion injuryMohammad A M Ali
Department of Pharmacology, Mazankowski Alberta Heart Institute, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Circulation 122:2039-47. 2010..Here we determine whether titin is an intracellular substrate for MMP-2 and if its degradation during ischemia/reperfusion contributes to cardiac contractile dysfunction...
- An osteoblast-derived proteinase controls tumor cell survival via TGF-beta activation in the bone microenvironmentSophie Thiolloy
Department of Cancer Biology, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e29862. 2012..Given the role of MMP-2 in extracellular matrix degradation and growth factor/cytokine processing, we tested whether osteoblast derived MMP-2 contributed to the vicious cycle of tumor progression in the bone microenvironment...
- A novel intracellular isoform of matrix metalloproteinase-2 induced by oxidative stress activates innate immunityDavid H Lovett
Department of Medicine, San Francisco Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e34177. 2012..We hypothesized that an additional intracellular isoform of MMP-2, which affects mitochondrial function is induced under conditions of systolic failure-associated oxidative stress...
- Detection of gelatinolytic activity in developing basement membranes of the mouse embryo head by combining sensitive in situ zymography with immunolabelingNikolaos Gkantidis
Department of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, University of Bern, Freiburgstrasse 7, 3010 Bern, Switzerland
Histochem Cell Biol 138:557-71. 2012..Thus, this sensitive method allows to associate, with high spatial resolution, gelatinolytic activity with epithelial morphogenesis in the embryo...
- Dual regulation of MMP-2 expression by the type 1 insulin-like growth factor receptor: the phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/Akt and Raf/ERK pathways transmit opposing signalsDonglei Zhang
Department of Surgery, McGill University Health Center, The Royal Victoria Hospital, Room H6 25, 687 Pine Avenue West, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3A 1A1
J Biol Chem 279:19683-90. 2004..The outcome of IGF-IR (the receptor for IGF-I) activation may ultimately depend on factors, such as ligand bioavailability, that can shift the balance preferentially toward one pathway or the other...
- 92-kDa type IV collagenase and TIMP-3, but not 72-kDa type IV collagenase or TIMP-1 or TIMP-2, are highly expressed during mouse embryo implantationP Reponen
Biocenter Oulu, University of Oulu, Finland
Dev Dyn 202:388-96. 1995..The results suggest a central role for 92 kDa type IV collagenase and TIMP-3 in the extracellular proteolysis associated with implantation of the early embryo...
- Cloning of murine membrane-type-1-matrix metalloproteinase (MT-1-MMP) and its metanephric developmental regulation with respect to MMP-2 and its inhibitorK Ota
Department of Pathology and Medicine, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Kidney Int 54:131-42. 1998..The activity of MMP-2 is inhibited by a "soluble" tissue inhibitor of MMP-2, TIMP-2. The role of MT-1-MMP in renal development is unknown...
- Matrix metalloproteinase-2 and -9 expression increases in Mycoplasma-infected airways but is not required for microvascular remodelingPeter Baluk
Cardiovascular Research Institute, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 0130, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 287:L307-17. 2004..We conclude that despite major increases in expression, MMP-2 and MMP-9 are not essential for microvascular remodeling in M. pulmonis-induced chronic airway inflammation...
- Individual Timp deficiencies differentially impact pro-MMP-2 activationJane L English
Ontario Cancer Institute, 610 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario M5G 2M9, Canada
J Biol Chem 281:10337-46. 2006..Thus, TIMP-3 provides an inherent regulation over the kinetics of pro-MMP-2 processing, serving at a level distinct from that of TIMP-2 and TIMP-4...
- CNS progenitor cells promote a permissive environment for neurite outgrowth via a matrix metalloproteinase-2-dependent mechanismYiqin Zhang
Schepens Eye Research Institute, Department of Ophthalmology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Neurosci 27:4499-506. 2007..Transplantation of retinal progenitor cells induced increased matrix metalloproteinase-2 (MMP2) secretion, partly from activated glial cells, which was then activated by neuronally expressed MMP14...
- Matrix metalloproteinase-2, caveolins, focal adhesion kinase and c-Kit in cells of the mouse myocardiumWoo Jung Cho
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
J Cell Mol Med 11:1069-86. 2007..Also, MMP-2 is closely associated with FAK at FB and c-Kit at ICLC. Thus, Cav-1 expression is not necessary for Cav-2 expression. Cav-3 or Cav-3 with Cav-2 has the capability to make Cav...
- Overexpression of delta-like 4 induces arterialization and attenuates vessel formation in developing mouse embryosAlexandre Trindade
Centro de Informatica do Instituto Superior de Agronomia CIISA, Lisbon Technical University, Lisbon, Portugal
Blood 112:1720-9. 2008..These results establish the role of Dll4 in arterial identity determination, and regulation of angiogenesis subject to dose and location...
- Remodeling of murine intrasynovial tendon adhesions following injury: MMP and neotendon gene expressionAlayna E Loiselle
Department of Orthopaedics, The Center for Musculoskeletal Research, University of Rochester Box 665, 601 Elmwood Avenue, Rochester, New York 14620, USA
J Orthop Res 27:833-40. 2009..The murine model of primary tendon repair, described here, provides a novel mechanism to study the tendon healing process, and further enhances the understanding of this process at the molecular, cellular, and biomechanical level...
- Loss of matrix metalloproteinase 2 in platelets reduces arterial thrombosis in vivoStefania Momi
Division of Internal and Cardiovascular Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Perugia, Perugia 06100, Italy
J Exp Med 206:2365-79. 2009..Human platelets contain matrix metalloproteinase 2 (MMP-2) and release it upon activation...
- Nuclear receptor Nur77 inhibits vascular outward remodelling and reduces macrophage accumulation and matrix metalloproteinase levelsPeter I Bonta
Department of Medical Biochemistry, Academic Medical Center K1 113, University of Amsterdam, Meibergdreef 15, Amsterdam 1105 AZ, The Netherlands
Cardiovasc Res 87:561-8. 2010..Detailed knowledge on the mechanism underlying this vascular response is limited, and we aimed to study the function of Nur77 in smooth muscle cells (SMCs) in arterial remodelling...
- Role of AP-1 and RE-1 binding sites in matrix metalloproteinase-2 transcriptional regulation in skeletal muscle atrophyXuhui Liu
Department of Veterans Affairs, San Francisco Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 4150 Clement St, San Francisco, CA 94121, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 396:219-23. 2010..Novel information gained from this study has improved our understanding of in vivo transcriptional regulation of MMP-2 in skeletal muscle atrophy...
- Phenotypic alterations in fos-transgenic mice correlate with changes in Fos/Jun-dependent collagenase type I expression. Regulation of mouse metalloproteinases by carcinogens, tumor promoters, cAMP, and Fos oncoproteinS Gack
Kernforschungszentrum Karlsruhe, Institut fur Genetik, Federal Republic of Germany
J Biol Chem 269:10363-9. 1994..These results identify collagenase I as a Fos-regulated gene in vivo and suggest a possible role for Fos/Jun heterodimers in establishing the pathological phenotype of c-fos transgenic mice...
- High-resolution mapping of a linkage group on mouse chromosome 8 conserved on human chromosome 16QJ Becker-Follmann
Institute of Human Genetics, University of Freiburg, Breisacherstr 33, D 79106 Freiburg, Germany
Mamm Genome 8:172-7. 1997..The following locus order with distances in cM was obtained: (centromere)-Os-4.1-Mmp2-0.2-Ces1,Es1, Es22-1.2-Mt1,D8Mit15-2.2-Got2, D8Mit11-3.7-Es30-0.3-Es2, Es7-0.9-Ctra1,Lcat-0...
- Expression of 72-kDa gelatinase (matrix metalloproteinase-2) in the developing mouse craniofacial complexA Iamaroon
Department of Odontology and Oral Pathology, Faculty of Dentistry, Chiangmai University, Thailand
Arch Oral Biol 41:1109-19. 1996..Protein expression of the matrix metalloproteinase, 72-kDa gelatinase (matrix metalloproteinase-2, gelatinase A, 72-kDa type IV collagenase) was studied by gelatine zymography and by indirect immunofluorescence with ..
- Expression of matrix metalloproteinases and tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinases in the mouse uterus during the peri-implantation periodS K Das
Department of Molecular and Integrative Physiology, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City 66160, USA
Dev Genet 21:44-54. 1997..We investigated the temporal and spatial expression of mRNAs for four matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs; MMP-2 [gelatinase A], MMP-3 [stromelysin 1], MMPs; MMP-2 [gelatinase B], and MMP-13 [collagenase 3]) and tissue inhibitors of ..
- Impaired migration and delayed differentiation of pancreatic islet cells in mice lacking EGF-receptorsP J Miettinen
Department of Pathology and Transplantation Laboratory, The Haartman Institute, and Hospital for Children and Adolescents, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Development 127:2617-27. 2000..Upregulated PAI-1 production and decreased gelatinolytic activity correlated to this migration defect. An intact EGF-R pathway appears to be a prerequisite for normal pancreatic development...
- The membrane-anchored MMP inhibitor RECK is a key regulator of extracellular matrix integrity and angiogenesisJ Oh
Department of Molecular Oncology, Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine, 606 8501, Kyoto, Japan
Cell 107:789-800. 2001..These results support a role for RECK in the regulation of MMP-2 in vivo and implicate RECK downregulation in tumor angiogenesis...
- GENETICALLY TARGETABLE LABELS FOR LIGHT AND EMRoger Tsien; Fiscal Year: 2007..These activities benefit from the combination of this applicant teams expertise in chemistry, imaging instrument development, cell and molecular biology, physics and biophysics. ..
- Vascular inflammation and neurotoxicity in aging brainPaula Grammas; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Is There a Link Between Alzheimer's and AtheroclerosisPaula Grammas; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- EPITHELIAL/MESENCHYMAL INTERACTIONS IN LUNG DEVELOPMENTFarrah Kheradmand; Fiscal Year: 2002..Michael Mafthay, Carol Basbaum, and Gerald Cunha, all senior faculty members of Division of Pulmonary and Department of Anatomy at UCSF. (End of Abstract) ..
- Mast Cell Role in Masseter Muscle RepairJOYCE MORRIS WIMAN; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- IL-6 regulation of matrix degradation in liver fibrosisMeena Bansal; Fiscal Year: 2006..Understanding these mechanisms will provide the basis for the development of novel anti-fibrotic therapies to treat a widely prevalent disease for which there is no effective treatment to date. ..
- The Role of Proteinases in Experimental AsthmaFarrah Kheradmand; Fiscal Year: 2006..upregulation of MMPs in allergic lung disease is underscored by our recent reports showing that mice deficient in MMP2, MMP9 or both show enhanced accumulation of lung inflammatory cells and are susceptible to asphyxiation when ..
- The Role of Proteases in Lung Inflammation & RemodelingFarrah Kheradmand; Fiscal Year: 2007..This work may serve as the foundation for future therapeutic studies that target a broad range of asthmatic patients. ..
- Role of Matrix Metalloproteinase-2 in Liver FibrosisMeena Bansal; Fiscal Year: 2007..Findings from these investigations may lead to novel approaches to the treatment of chronic fibrosing liver disease. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Extracellular Mechanisms For Thoracic Aortic AneurysmsJohn Ikonomidis; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- C-Reactive Protein in Extremely Low Birth Weight NeonatesNamasivayam Ambalavanan; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MMP-2 in Neonatal Hypoxic Pulmonary Vascular RemodelingNamasivayam Ambalavanan; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Viral-induced T Cell Responses in COPD ExacerbationFarrah Kheradmand; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Immune modulators of inflammation in servere COPDFarrah Kheradmand; Fiscal Year: 2010..In this application, we will study the role of a subset of cells in the immune system called T helper cells to determine if they could be responsible for the destruction of lung in subjects with COPD and emphysema. ..