Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Mir223
Description: microRNA 223
Alias: Mirn223, miR-223, mmu-mir-223
- Wang X, Huang W, Yang Y, Wang Y, Peng T, Chang J, et al. Loss of duplexmiR-223 (5p and 3p) aggravates myocardial depression and mortality in polymicrobial sepsis. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2014;1842:701-11 pubmed publisher..Our study uncovers a previously unrecognized mechanism underlying septic cardiomyopathy and thereby, may provide a new strategy to treat sepsis. ..
- Wang X, Gu H, Qin D, Yang L, Huang W, Essandoh K, et al. Exosomal miR-223 Contributes to Mesenchymal Stem Cell-Elicited Cardioprotection in Polymicrobial Sepsis. Sci Rep. 2015;5:13721 pubmed publisher..These data for the first time indicate that exosomal miR-223 plays an essential role for MSC-induced cardio-protection in sepsis. ..
- Keck Wherley J, Grover D, Bhattacharyya S, Xu X, Holman D, Lombardini E, et al. Abnormal microRNA expression in Ts65Dn hippocampus and whole blood: contributions to Down syndrome phenotypes. Dev Neurosci. 2011;33:451-67 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide insights into miRNA-mediated gene regulation in Ts65Dn mice and their potential contribution to impaired hippocampal synaptic plasticity and neurogenesis, as well as hemopoietic abnormalities observed in DS. ..
- Schueller F, Roy S, Loosen S, Alder J, Koppe C, Schneider A, et al. miR-223 represents a biomarker in acute and chronic liver injury. Clin Sci (Lond). 2017;131:1971-1987 pubmed publisher..Together with previously published data, our results highlight that the role of miR-223 in the pathophysiology of the liver is complex and needs further analysis. ..
- Chen L, Song Y, He L, Wan X, Lai L, Dai F, et al. MicroRNA-223 Promotes Type I Interferon Production in Antiviral Innate Immunity by Targeting Forkhead Box Protein O3 (FOXO3). J Biol Chem. 2016;291:14706-16 pubmed publisher..Our results uncovered a novel mechanism of miR-223-mediated regulation of type I IFN production in the antiviral innate immunity for the first time. ..
- Pinzón N, Li B, Martinez L, Sergeeva A, Presumey J, Apparailly F, et al. microRNA target prediction programs predict many false positives. Genome Res. 2017;27:234-245 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data suggest that the role of microRNAs in normal and pathological conditions has been overestimated due to the frequent overlooking of false positive rates. ..
- Ying W, Tseng A, Chang R, Morin A, Brehm T, Triff K, et al. MicroRNA-223 is a crucial mediator of PPARÎ³-regulated alternative macrophage activation. J Clin Invest. 2015;125:4149-59 pubmed publisher..In summary, this study provides evidence to support the crucial role of a PPARÎ³/miR-223 regulatory axis in controlling macrophage polarization via distinct downstream target genes. ..
- Qin Y, Ye J, Wang P, Gao L, Wang S, Shen H. miR-223 contributes to the AGE-promoted apoptosis via down-regulating insulin-like growth factor 1 receptor in osteoblasts. Biosci Rep. 2016;36: pubmed publisher..The promoted miR-223 targeted IGF-1R and mediated the AGE-BSA-induced apoptosis in MC3T3-E1 cells. It implies that miR-223 might be an effective therapeutic target to antagonize the AGE-induced damage to osteoblasts in DM. ..
- Sugatani T, Hruska K. Impaired micro-RNA pathways diminish osteoclast differentiation and function. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:4667-78 pubmed publisher..1 levels. Our studies provide new molecular mechanisms controlling osteoclast differentiation and function by the miRNA system and specifically by miRNA-223, which regulates NFI-A and the M-CSFR levels. ..
- Cantoni C, Cignarella F, Ghezzi L, Mikesell B, Bollman B, Berrien Elliott M, et al. Mir-223 regulates the number and function of myeloid-derived suppressor cells in multiple sclerosis and experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. Acta Neuropathol. 2017;133:61-77 pubmed publisher..These results support a critical role for miR-223 in modulating MDSC biology in EAE and in MS and suggest potential novel therapeutic applications. ..
- Zhou H, Xiao J, Wu N, Liu C, Xu J, Liu F, et al. MicroRNA-223 Regulates the Differentiation and Function of Intestinal Dendritic Cells and Macrophages by Targeting C/EBPÎ². Cell Rep. 2015;13:1149-1160 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our study identifies a role for miR-223 as a critical regulator of intestinal homeostasis. ..
- Wang Y, Zhang Y, Huang J, Chen X, Gu X, Wang Y, et al. Increase of circulating miR-223 and insulin-like growth factor-1 is associated with the pathogenesis of acute ischemic stroke in patients. BMC Neurol. 2014;14:77 pubmed publisher..05). Our results suggest that microRNA-223 is associated with acute ischemic stroke and possibly plays a role in stroke through up-regulating growth factor such as insulin-like growth factor-1 gene. ..
- Vickers K, Landstreet S, Levin M, Shoucri B, Toth C, Taylor R, et al. MicroRNA-223 coordinates cholesterol homeostasis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:14518-23 pubmed publisher..In summary, we identified a critical role for miR-223 in systemic cholesterol regulation by coordinated posttranscriptional control of multiple genes in lipoprotein and cholesterol metabolism. ..
- Deiuliis J, Syed R, Duggineni D, Rutsky J, Rengasamy P, Zhang J, et al. Visceral Adipose MicroRNA 223 Is Upregulated in Human and Murine Obesity and Modulates the Inflammatory Phenotype of Macrophages. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0165962 pubmed publisher..We concluded that the abundance of miR-223 in macrophages significantly modulates macrophage phenotype / activation state and response to stimuli via effects on the TLR4/FBXW7 axis. ..
- Massy Z, Metzinger Le Meuth V, Metzinger L. MicroRNAs Are Associated with Uremic Toxicity, Cardiovascular Calcification, and Disease. Contrib Nephrol. 2017;189:160-168 pubmed
- Chu M, Wu R, Qin S, Hua W, Shan Z, Rong X, et al. Bone Marrow-Derived MicroRNA-223 Works as an Endocrine Genetic Signal in Vascular Endothelial Cells and Participates in Vascular Injury From Kawasaki Disease. J Am Heart Assoc. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..The increased miR-223 in ECs could work as a novel endocrine genetic signal and participate in vascular injury of KD. MiR-223 may provide a novel mechanism and a new therapeutic target for vascular complication of KD. ..
- Lu T, Lim E, Besse J, Itskovich S, Plassard A, Fulkerson P, et al. MiR-223 deficiency increases eosinophil progenitor proliferation. J Immunol. 2013;190:1576-82 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that microRNAs regulate the development of eosinophils by influencing eosinophil progenitor growth and differentiation and identify a contributory role for miR-223 in this process. ..
- Yang Z, Zhong L, Xian R, Yuan B. MicroRNA-223 regulates inflammation and brain injury via feedback to NLRP3 inflammasome after intracerebral hemorrhage. Mol Immunol. 2015;65:267-76 pubmed publisher..Together, miR-223 may be a vital regulator of NLRP3 inflammasome activation. The results suggest that miR-223 represents a novel target reducing the inflammatory response, and offers a new therapeutical strategy following ICH. ..
- Gentner B, Pochert N, Rouhi A, Boccalatte F, Plati T, Berg T, et al. MicroRNA-223 dose levels fine tune proliferation and differentiation in human cord blood progenitors and acute myeloid leukemia. Exp Hematol. 2015;43:858-868.e7 pubmed publisher..This also explains the complex yet minor role of miR-223 in AML, a heterogeneous disease with variable degree of myeloid differentiation. ..
- Dorhoi A, Iannaccone M, Farinacci M, Fae K, Schreiber J, Moura Alves P, et al. MicroRNA-223 controls susceptibility to tuberculosis by regulating lung neutrophil recruitment. J Clin Invest. 2013;123:4836-48 pubmed..By regulating leukocyte chemotaxis via chemoattractants, miR-223 is critical for the control of TB and potentially other chronic inflammatory diseases. ..
- Rangrez A, M Baya Moutoula E, Metzinger Le Meuth V, Hénaut L, Djelouat M, Benchitrit J, et al. Inorganic phosphate accelerates the migration of vascular smooth muscle cells: evidence for the involvement of miR-223. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e47807 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that (i) high levels of Pi increase VSMC migration and calcification, (ii) altered expression levels of miR-223 could play a part in this process and (iii) miR-223 is a potential new biomarker of VSMC damage. ..
- Li M, He Y, Zhou Z, Ramirez T, Gao Y, Gao Y, et al. MicroRNA-223 ameliorates alcoholic liver injury by inhibiting the IL-6-p47phox-oxidative stress pathway in neutrophils. Gut. 2017;66:705-715 pubmed publisher..miR-223 is an important regulator to block neutrophil infiltration in alcoholic liver disease and could be a novel therapeutic target for the treatment of this malady. ..
- Chen L, Lu F, Chen D, Wu J, Hu E, Xu L, et al. BMSCs-derived miR-223-containing exosomes contribute to liver protection in experimental autoimmune hepatitis. Mol Immunol. 2018;93:38-46 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, bone marrow stem cell derived exosomes can protect liver injury in an experimental model of autoimmune hepatitis and the mechanism could be related to exosomal miR-223 regulation of NLRP3 and caspase-1. ..
- Mi Q, Xu Y, Wang H, Qi R, Dong Z, Zhou L. Deletion of microRNA miR-223 increases Langerhans cell cross-presentation. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2013;45:395-400 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that miR-223 negatively regulates LC cross-presentation, but may not be required for normal LC homeostasis and development. ..
- Elgheznawy A, Shi L, Hu J, Wittig I, Laban H, Pircher J, et al. Dicer cleavage by calpain determines platelet microRNA levels and function in diabetes. Circ Res. 2015;117:157-65 pubmed publisher..Thus, calpain inhibition may be one means of normalizing platelet miRNA processing as well as platelet function in diabetes mellitus. ..
- Ifergan I, Chen S, Zhang B, Miller S. Cutting Edge: MicroRNA-223 Regulates Myeloid Dendritic Cell-Driven Th17 Responses in Experimental Autoimmune Encephalomyelitis. J Immunol. 2016;196:1455-1459 pubmed publisher..Thus, miR-223 controls mDC-induced activation of pathologic Th17 responses during autoimmune inflammation. ..
- Xu Y, Sengupta T, Kukreja L, Minella A. MicroRNA-223 regulates cyclin E activity by modulating expression of F-box and WD-40 domain protein 7. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:34439-46 pubmed publisher..Together, our data indicate that miR-223 regulates Fbw7 expression and provide the first evidence that activity of the SCF(Fbw7) ubiquitin ligase can be modulated directly by the microRNA pathway. ..
- Lou J, Wang Y, Zhang Z, Qiu W. Activation of MMPs in Macrophages by Mycobacterium tuberculosis via the miR-223-BMAL1 Signaling Pathway. J Cell Biochem. 2017;118:4804-4812 pubmed publisher..Overall, this study demonstrated a potential involvement of circadian rhythm in MMP activation by M. tuberculosis in macrophages. J. Cell. Biochem. 118: 4804-4812, 2017. Â© 2017 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. ..
- Li K, Seo K, Gao T, Zheng Q, Qi R, Wang H, et al. Invariant NKT cell development and function in microRNA-223 knockout mice. Int Immunopharmacol. 2011;11:561-8 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data suggest that miR-223 may not be required for iNKT cell development and function. ..
- Izumi B, Nakasa T, Tanaka N, Nakanishi K, Kamei N, Yamamoto R, et al. MicroRNA-223 expression in neutrophils in the early phase of secondary damage after spinal cord injury. Neurosci Lett. 2011;492:114-8 pubmed publisher..Double staining of in situ hybridization and immunohistochemistry showed that the signals of miR-223 merged with Gr-1 positive neutrophils. Our data indicate that miR-223 might regulate neutrophils in the early phase after SCI. ..
- Yuan X, Wang X, Chen C, Zhou J, Han M. Bone mesenchymal stem cells ameliorate ischemia/reperfusion-induced damage in renal epithelial cells via microRNA-223. Stem Cell Res Ther. 2017;8:146 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that miR-223 and NLRP3 play important roles in the treatment of renal tissue injuries with transplanted MSCs. ..
- Colbert J, Ford J, Haeger S, Yang Y, Dailey K, Allison K, et al. A model-specific role of microRNA-223 as a mediator of kidney injury during experimental sepsis. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2017;313:F553-F559 pubmed publisher..Our findings highlight the complex role of miR-223 in the pathogenesis of septic kidney injury, as well as the importance of differences in experimental sepsis models and their consequent translational applicability. ..
- Trissal M, DeMoya R, Schmidt A, Link D. MicroRNA-223 regulates granulopoiesis but is not required for HSC maintenance in mice. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0119304 pubmed publisherMIR233 is genetically or epigenetically silenced in a subset of acute myeloid leukemia (AML). MIR223 is normally expressed throughout myeloid differentiation and highly expressed in hematopoietic stem cells (HSCs)...
- Yang F, Lou G, Zhou X, Zheng M, He J, Chen Z. MicroRNA-223 acts as an important regulator to Kupffer cells activation at the early stage of Con A-induced acute liver failure via AIM2 signaling pathway. Cell Physiol Biochem. 2014;34:2137-52 pubmed publisher..Thus, it played an important role in the pathogenesis of ALF. ..
- Satoorian T, Li B, Tang X, Xiao J, Xing W, Shi W, et al. MicroRNA223 promotes pathogenic T-cell development and autoimmune inflammation in central nervous system in mice. Immunology. 2016;148:326-38 pubmed publisher..Expression of miR223 was up-regulated specifically in spinal cords and lymphoid organs but not in other examined tissues...
- Yang Q, Xu H, Yang J, Zhou Y, Zhao D, Liu F. MicroRNA-223 affects IL-6 secretion in mast cells via the IGF1R/PI3K signaling pathway. Int J Mol Med. 2016;38:507-12 pubmed publisher..Incubation with IGF1 resulted in the induction of IL-6 secretion in miR-223?expressing mast cells. In conclusion, it was shown that miR-223 reduces IL-6 secretion in mast cells by inhibiting the IGF1R/PI3K signaling pathway. ..
- Tran T, Krishnan S, Amiji M. MicroRNA-223 Induced Repolarization of Peritoneal Macrophages Using CD44 Targeting Hyaluronic Acid Nanoparticles for Anti-Inflammatory Effects. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0152024 pubmed publisher..The results demonstrated that miR-223-encapsulated HA-PEI NPs modulated macrophage polarity toward an anti-inflammatory M2 phenotype, which has potential for the treatment of inflammatory diseases. ..
- Dai R, Phillips R, Zhang Y, Khan D, Crasta O, Ahmed S. Suppression of LPS-induced Interferon-gamma and nitric oxide in splenic lymphocytes by select estrogen-regulated microRNAs: a novel mechanism of immune modulation. Blood. 2008;112:4591-7 pubmed publisher..Our data are the first to demonstrate the selective regulation of miRNA expression in immune cells by estrogen and are indicative of an important role of miRNAs in estrogen-mediated immune regulation. ..
- Glasgow S, Laug D, Brawley V, Zhang Z, Corder A, Yin Z, et al. The miR-223/nuclear factor I-A axis regulates glial precursor proliferation and tumorigenesis in the CNS. J Neurosci. 2013;33:13560-8 pubmed publisher..These studies represent the first characterization of miR-223/NFIA axis function in glioma and demonstrate that it is a conserved proliferative mechanism across CNS development and tumorigenesis...
- Yang L, Li Y, Wang X, Mu X, Qin D, Huang W, et al. Overexpression of miR-223 Tips the Balance of Pro- and Anti-hypertrophic Signaling Cascades toward Physiologic Cardiac Hypertrophy. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:15700-13 pubmed publisher..Thus, our study suggests that the ultimate phenotype outcome of a miRNA may be decided by the secondary net effects of the whole target network rather than by several primary direct targets in an organ/tissue. ..
- Qin D, Wang X, Li Y, Yang L, Wang R, Peng J, et al. MicroRNA-223-5p and -3p Cooperatively Suppress Necroptosis in Ischemic/Reperfused Hearts. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:20247-59 pubmed publisher..Thus, pre-miR-223 may constitute a new therapeutic agent for the treatment of ischemic heart disease. ..
- Poh K, Yeo J, Ong W. MicroRNA changes in the mouse prefrontal cortex after inflammatory pain. Eur J Pain. 2011;15:801.e1-12 pubmed publisher..It is postulated that this could lead to increased inflammation and activation of the prefrontal cortex. Further studies are necessary to determine if specific miRNAs could be useful as therapeutic molecules for pain. ..
- He X, Sai X, Chen C, Zhang Y, Xu X, Zhang D, et al. Host serum miR-223 is a potential new biomarker for Schistosoma japonicum infection and the response to chemotherapy. Parasit Vectors. 2013;6:272 pubmed publisher..This study suggested that the circulating miR-223 could serve as a potential new biomarker for the detection of schistosome infection and the assessment of the response to chemotherapy. ..
- Li Y, Chen S, Wang C, Liu M, Lin C, Jou I, et al. Brief report: amelioration of collagen-induced arthritis in mice by lentivirus-mediated silencing of microRNA-223. Arthritis Rheum. 2012;64:3240-5 pubmed publisher..The aim of this study was to test the feasibility of using lentiviral vectors expressing the miR-223 target sequence (miR-223T) to suppress miR-223 activity as a therapeutic strategy in a mouse model of collagen-induced arthritis (CIA)...
- Baek D, Villen J, Shin C, Camargo F, Gygi S, Bartel D. The impact of microRNAs on protein output. Nature. 2008;455:64-71 pubmed publisher..The impact of microRNAs on the proteome indicated that for most interactions microRNAs act as rheostats to make fine-scale adjustments to protein output. ..
- Zhang N, Fu L, Bu Y, Yao Y, Wang Y. Downregulated expression of miR-223 promotes Toll-like receptor-activated inflammatory responses in macrophages by targeting RhoB. Mol Immunol. 2017;91:42-48 pubmed publisher..Herein, our findings suggest that miR-223-RhoB axis might be a novel target for the treatment of inflammatory diseases. ..
- Hand N, Master Z, Eauclaire S, Weinblatt D, Matthews R, Friedman J. The microRNA-30 family is required for vertebrate hepatobiliary development. Gastroenterology. 2009;136:1081-90 pubmed publisher..One of these, the biliary miRNA miR-30a, is required for biliary development in zebrafish. This is the first demonstration of a functional role for miRNA in hepatic organogenesis. ..
- Guan X, Gao Y, Zhou J, Wang J, Zheng F, Guo F, et al. miR-223 Regulates Adipogenic and Osteogenic Differentiation of Mesenchymal Stem Cells Through a C/EBPs/miR-223/FGFR2 Regulatory Feedback Loop. Stem Cells. 2015;33:1589-600 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our study provides evidences that miR-223 regulates adipocyte and osteoblast differentiation through a novel C/EBPs/miR-223/FGFR2 regulatory feedback loop. ..
- Leuenberger C, Schuoler C, Bye H, Mignan C, Rechsteiner T, Hillinger S, et al. MicroRNA-223 controls the expression of histone deacetylase 2: a novel axis in COPD. J Mol Med (Berl). 2016;94:725-34 pubmed publisher..miR-223 controls the expression of fractalkine by targeting histone deacetylase 2. miR-223 levels are increased in COPD mouse models. miR-223 levels inversely correlate with HDAC2 expression in COPD patients. ..
- Shi L, Fisslthaler B, Zippel N, Frömel T, Hu J, Elgheznawy A, et al. MicroRNA-223 antagonizes angiogenesis by targeting ?1 integrin and preventing growth factor signaling in endothelial cells. Circ Res. 2013;113:1320-30 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that miR-223 is an antiangiogenic microRNA that prevents endothelial cell proliferation at least partly by targeting ?1 integrin. ..
- Leierseder S, Petzold T, Zhang L, Loyer X, Massberg S, Engelhardt S. MiR-223 is dispensable for platelet production and function in mice. Thromb Haemost. 2013;110:1207-14 pubmed publisher..Overall, our data indicate a surprisingly modest role of miR-223 in platelet production, while the function of platelets does not seem to depend on miR-223. ..
- Fehniger T, Wylie T, Germino E, Leong J, Magrini V, Koul S, et al. Next-generation sequencing identifies the natural killer cell microRNA transcriptome. Genome Res. 2010;20:1590-604 pubmed publisher..Thus, the sequenced NK cell miRNA transcriptome provides a valuable framework for further elucidation of miRNA expression and function in NK cell biology. ..
- Qadir X, Chen W, Han C, Song K, Zhang J, Wu T. miR-223 Deficiency Protects against Fas-Induced Hepatocyte Apoptosis and Liver Injury through Targeting Insulin-Like Growth Factor 1 Receptor. Am J Pathol. 2015;185:3141-51 pubmed publisher..Further in vitro and in vivo data indicate that miR-223 regulates Fas-induced hepatocyte apoptosis and liver injury by targeting the insulin-like growth factor 1 receptor. ..
- Chen C, Li L, Lodish H, Bartel D. MicroRNAs modulate hematopoietic lineage differentiation. Science. 2004;303:83-6 pubmed..Our results indicate that microRNAs are components of the molecular circuitry that controls mouse hematopoiesis and suggest that other microRNAs have similar regulatory roles during other facets of vertebrate development. ..