Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Mir214
Description: microRNA 214
Alias: Mirn214, mmu-mir-214
- Keck Wherley J, Grover D, Bhattacharyya S, Xu X, Holman D, Lombardini E, et al. Abnormal microRNA expression in Ts65Dn hippocampus and whole blood: contributions to Down syndrome phenotypes. Dev Neurosci. 2011;33:451-67 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide insights into miRNA-mediated gene regulation in Ts65Dn mice and their potential contribution to impaired hippocampal synaptic plasticity and neurogenesis, as well as hemopoietic abnormalities observed in DS. ..
- Liao Y, Du X, Lonnerdal B. miR-214 regulates lactoferrin expression and pro-apoptotic function in mammary epithelial cells. J Nutr. 2010;140:1552-6 pubmed publisher..05). In summary, our data showed that miR-214 is directly involved in lactoferrin expression and lactoferrin mediated cancer susceptibility (proapoptotic activities) in mammary epithelial cells...
- Liu M, Liu L, Bai M, Zhang L, Ma F, Yang X, et al. Hypoxia-induced activation of Twist/miR-214/E-cadherin axis promotes renal tubular epithelial cell mesenchymal transition and renal fibrosis. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2018;495:2324-2330 pubmed publisher..Overall, hypoxia-induced activation of Twist/miR-214/E-cadherin axis is involved in the EMT of TECs, and anti-miR-214 may be an attractive strategy to ameliorate the progression of renal fibrosis. ..
- Wu Y, Li Z, Yang M, Dai B, Hu F, Yang F, et al. MicroRNA-214 regulates smooth muscle cell differentiation from stem cells by targeting RNA-binding protein QKI. Oncotarget. 2017;8:19866-19878 pubmed publisher..Taken together, we have uncovered a central role of miR-214 in ESC-VSMC differentiation, and successfully identified QKI as a functional modulating target in miR-214 mediated VSMCs differentiation. ..
- Afzal T, Luong L, Chen D, Zhang C, Yang F, Chen Q, et al. NCK Associated Protein 1 Modulated by miRNA-214 Determines Vascular Smooth Muscle Cell Migration, Proliferation, and Neointima Hyperplasia. J Am Heart Assoc. 2016;5: pubmed..We uncovered an important role of miR-214 and its target gene NCKAP1 in modulating VSMC functions and neointima hyperplasia. Our findings suggest that miR-214 represents a potential therapeutic target for vascular diseases. ..
- Alimirah F, Peng X, Gupta A, Yuan L, Welsh J, Cleary M, et al. Crosstalk between the vitamin D receptor (VDR) and miR-214 in regulating SuFu, a hedgehog pathway inhibitor in breast cancer cells. Exp Cell Res. 2016;349:15-22 pubmed publisher..miR-214 on the other hand suppressed SuFu protein expression. These findings suggest a crosstalk between VDR and miR-214 in regulating hedgehog signaling in breast cancer cells, providing new therapies for breast cancer. ..
- Zhao E, Keller M, Rabaglia M, Oler A, Stapleton D, Schueler K, et al. Obesity and genetics regulate microRNAs in islets, liver, and adipose of diabetic mice. Mamm Genome. 2009;20:476-85 pubmed publisher..Understanding the influence that obesity and genetics exert on the regulation of miRNA expression will reveal the role miRNAs play in the context of obesity-induced type 2 diabetes. ..
- Li K, Zhang J, Yu J, Liu B, Guo Y, Deng J, et al. MicroRNA-214 suppresses gluconeogenesis by targeting activating transcriptional factor 4. J Biol Chem. 2015;290:8185-95 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results suggest that the miR-214-ATF4 axis is a novel pathway for the regulation of hepatic gluconeogenesis. ..
- Penna E, Orso F, Cimino D, Tenaglia E, Lembo A, Quaglino E, et al. microRNA-214 contributes to melanoma tumour progression through suppression of TFAP2C. EMBO J. 2011;30:1990-2007 pubmed publisher..Considering that miR-214 is known to be highly expressed in human melanomas, our data suggest a critical role for this miRNA in disease progression and the establishment of distant metastases. ..
- Chen L, Chen R, Kemper S, Charrier A, Brigstock D. Suppression of fibrogenic signaling in hepatic stellate cells by Twist1-dependent microRNA-214 expression: Role of exosomes in horizontal transfer of Twist1. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2015;309:G491-9 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal a unique function for cellular or exosomal Twist1 in CCN2-dependent fibrogenesis. ..
- Denby L, Ramdas V, Lu R, Conway B, Grant J, Dickinson B, et al. MicroRNA-214 antagonism protects against renal fibrosis. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2014;25:65-80 pubmed publisher..These studies demonstrate that miR-214 functions to promote fibrosis in renal injury independent of TGF-? signaling in vivo and that antagonism of miR-214 may represent a novel antifibrotic treatment in the kidney. ..
- Salomonis N, Schlieve C, Pereira L, Wahlquist C, Colas A, Zambon A, et al. Alternative splicing regulates mouse embryonic stem cell pluripotency and differentiation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:10514-9 pubmed publisher..The findings herein illustrate a critical role for AS in the specification of ES cells with differentiation, and highlight the utility of global functional analyses of AS. ..
- Sehic A, Risnes S, Khuu C, Khan Q, Osmundsen H. Effects of in vivo transfection with anti-miR-214 on gene expression in murine molar tooth germ. Physiol Genomics. 2011;43:488-98 pubmed publisher..It is therefore suggested that effects of miR-214 on amelogenesis are indirect, perhaps mediated by the observed miR-214-dependent changes in levels of expression of numerous transcription factors...
- Gu C, Zhou X, Yuan Y, Miao X, Liu Y, Ru Y, et al. MicroRNA-214 induces dendritic cell switching from tolerance to immunity by targeting Î²-Catenin signaling. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2015;8:10050-60 pubmed..The results suggest that Î²-catenin is a critical regulator of tolerance in DCs via miR-214. The expression of miR-214 could be a potential therapeutic strategy in organ transplantation or autoimmunity patients. ..
- Liu J, Luo X, Xiong A, Zhang Z, Yue S, Zhu M, et al. MicroRNA-214 promotes myogenic differentiation by facilitating exit from mitosis via down-regulation of proto-oncogene N-ras. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:26599-607 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data uncovered a novel microRNA-mediated mechanism that controls myogenic differentiation. ..
- Wang X, Ha T, Hu Y, Lu C, Liu L, Zhang X, et al. MicroRNA-214 protects against hypoxia/reoxygenation induced cell damage and myocardial ischemia/reperfusion injury via suppression of PTEN and Bim1 expression. Oncotarget. 2016;7:86926-86936 pubmed publisher..The mechanisms involve activation of PI3K/Akt signaling by targeting PTEN expression, induction of Bad phosphorylation, and suppression of Bim1 expression, resulting in decreases in I/R-induced myocardial apoptosis. ..
- Watanabe T, Sato T, Amano T, Kawamura Y, Kawamura N, Kawaguchi H, et al. Dnm3os, a non-coding RNA, is required for normal growth and skeletal development in mice. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:3738-48 pubmed publisher..Thus, Dnm3os has emerged as an miRNA-encoding gene that is indispensable for normal skeletal development and body growth in mammals. ..
- Juan A, Kumar R, Marx J, Young R, Sartorelli V. Mir-214-dependent regulation of the polycomb protein Ezh2 in skeletal muscle and embryonic stem cells. Mol Cell. 2009;36:61-74 pubmed publisher..Thus, miR-214 and Ezh2 establish a regulatory loop controlling PcG-dependent gene expression during differentiation. ..
- Chen H, Shalom Feuerstein R, Riley J, Zhang S, Tucci P, Agostini M, et al. miR-7 and miR-214 are specifically expressed during neuroblastoma differentiation, cortical development and embryonic stem cells differentiation, and control neurite outgrowth in vitro. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;394:921-7 pubmed publisher..These findings provide an important step toward further elucidation of miR function and miR-related gene regulatory networks in the mammalian central nervous system. ..
- Zhao C, Sun W, Zhang P, Ling S, Li Y, Zhao D, et al. miR-214 promotes osteoclastogenesis by targeting Pten/PI3k/Akt pathway. RNA Biol. 2015;12:343-53 pubmed publisher..These results reveal a crucial role of miR-214 in the differentiation of osteoclasts, which will provide a potential therapeutic target for osteoporosis. ..
- Li D, Liu J, Guo B, Liang C, Dang L, Lu C, et al. Osteoclast-derived exosomal miR-214-3p inhibits osteoblastic bone formation. Nat Commun. 2016;7:10872 pubmed publisher..Inhibition of miR-214-3p in osteoclasts may be a strategy for treating skeletal disorders involving a reduction in bone formation. ..
- Lynn F, Skewes Cox P, Kosaka Y, McManus M, Harfe B, German M. MicroRNA expression is required for pancreatic islet cell genesis in the mouse. Diabetes. 2007;56:2938-45 pubmed..The expression of a unique profile of miRNAs is required during pancreas development and is necessary for beta-cell formation. ..
- Williams K, Renthal N, Gerard R, Mendelson C. The microRNA (miR)-199a/214 cluster mediates opposing effects of progesterone and estrogen on uterine contractility during pregnancy and labor. Mol Endocrinol. 2012;26:1857-67 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings identify miR-199a-3p/miR-214 as important regulators of myometrial contractility and provide new insight into strategies to prevent preterm birth. ..
- Wang X, Shen E, Wang Y, Li J, Cheng D, Chen Y, et al. Cross talk between miR-214 and PTEN attenuates glomerular hypertrophy under diabetic conditions. Sci Rep. 2016;6:31506 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, cross talk between miR-214 and PTEN attenuated glomerular hypertrophy under diabetic conditions in vivo and in vitro. Therefore, miR-214 may represent a novel therapeutic target for DN. ..
- Yang L, Ge D, Cao X, Ge Y, Chen H, Wang W, et al. MiR-214 Attenuates Osteogenic Differentiation of Mesenchymal Stem Cells via Targeting FGFR1. Cell Physiol Biochem. 2016;38:809-20 pubmed publisher..MiR-214 attenuates osteogenesis by inhibiting the FGFR1/FGF signaling pathway. Our findings suggest that targeting miR-214 promises to be a potential therapy in treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis. ..
- Das S, Bhattacharyya N. Heat Shock Factor 1-Regulated miRNAs Can Target Huntingtin and Suppress Aggregates of Mutant Huntingtin. Microrna. 2015;4:185-93 pubmed..Moreover, the suppressive effect of HSF1-regulated miRNAs on mutant huntingtin aggregates indicates their potential as therapeutic agents for the treatment of HD. ..
- Yang T, Gu H, Chen X, Fu S, Wang C, Xu H, et al. Cardiac hypertrophy and dysfunction induced by overexpression of miR-214 in vivo. J Surg Res. 2014;192:317-25 pubmed publisher..MiR-214 may therefore be a potential therapeutic target for treating certain cardiac disease states. ..
- Chen L, Charrier A, Zhou Y, Chen R, Yu B, Agarwal K, et al. Epigenetic regulation of connective tissue growth factor by MicroRNA-214 delivery in exosomes from mouse or human hepatic stellate cells. Hepatology. 2014;59:1118-29 pubmed publisher..Exosomal transfer of miR-214 is a paradigm for the regulation of CCN2-dependent fibrogenesis and identifies fibrotic pathways as targets of intercellular regulation by exosomal miRs. ..
- van Balkom B, de Jong O, Smits M, Brummelman J, Den Ouden K, de Bree P, et al. Endothelial cells require miR-214 to secrete exosomes that suppress senescence and induce angiogenesis in human and mouse endothelial cells. Blood. 2013;121:3997-4006, S1-15 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data indicate that endothelial cells release miR-214-containing exosomes to stimulate angiogenesis through the silencing of ataxia telangiectasia mutated in neighboring target cells. ..
- Polytarchou C, Hommes D, Palumbo T, Hatziapostolou M, Koutsioumpa M, Koukos G, et al. MicroRNA214 Is Associated With Progression of Ulcerative Colitis, and Inhibition Reduces Development of Colitis and Colitis-Associated Cancer in Mice. Gastroenterology. 2015;149:981-92.e11 pubmed publisher..and carcinogenesis was induced by addition of azoxymethane; some mice also were given an inhibitor of microRNA214 (miR214)...
- Shi K, Lu J, Zhao Y, Wang L, Li J, Qi B, et al. MicroRNA-214 suppresses osteogenic differentiation of C2C12 myoblast cells by targeting Osterix. Bone. 2013;55:487-94 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results indicate that miR-214 is a novel regulator of Osx, and that it plays an important role in the osteogenic differentiation of C2C12 cells as a suppressor. ..
- Jindra P, Bagley J, Godwin J, Iacomini J. Costimulation-dependent expression of microRNA-214 increases the ability of T cells to proliferate by targeting Pten. J Immunol. 2010;185:990-7 pubmed publisher..Thus, the requirement for T cell costimulation is, in part, related to its ability to regulate expression of miRNAs that control T cell activation...
- Bera A, Das F, Ghosh Choudhury N, Mariappan M, Kasinath B, Ghosh Choudhury G. Reciprocal regulation of miR-214 and PTEN by high glucose regulates renal glomerular mesangial and proximal tubular epithelial cell hypertrophy and matrix expansion. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2017;313:C430-C447 pubmed publisher..These results uncover a significant role of miR-214 in the activation of mTORC1 that contributes to high-glucose-induced mesangial and proximal tubular cell hypertrophy and fibronectin expression. ..