Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Mir122a
Description: microRNA 122a
Alias: Mirn122a, mmu-mir-122
- Wang B, Hsu S, Wang X, Kutay H, Bid H, Yu J, et al. Reciprocal regulation of microRNA-122 and c-Myc in hepatocellular cancer: role of E2F1 and transcription factor dimerization partner 2. Hepatology. 2014;59:555-66 pubmed publisher..In essence, these results suggest a double-negative feedback loop between a tumor suppressor (miR-122) and an oncogene (c-Myc). ..
- Willeit P, Skroblin P, Moschen A, Yin X, Kaudewitz D, Zampetaki A, et al. Circulating MicroRNA-122 Is Associated With the Risk of New-Onset Metabolic Syndrome and Type 2 Diabetes. Diabetes. 2017;66:347-357 pubmed publisher..001) for metabolic syndrome and 1.37 (1.03-1.82; P = 0.021) for type 2 diabetes. In conclusion, circulating miR-122 is strongly associated with the risk of developing metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes in the general population. ..
- Zhang Z, Li H, Chen S, Li Y, Cui Z, Ma J. MicroRNA-122 regulates caspase-8 and promotes the apoptosis of mouse cardiomyocytes. Braz J Med Biol Res. 2017;50:e5760 pubmed publisher..01) and reduced by miR-122 knockdown (P<0.001). These results suggest an inductive role of miR-122 in cardiomyocyte apoptosis, which may be related to its regulation on caspase-8. ..
- Wang K, Zhang S, Marzolf B, Troisch P, Brightman A, Hu Z, et al. Circulating microRNAs, potential biomarkers for drug-induced liver injury. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:4402-7 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest the potential of using specific circulating microRNAs as sensitive and informative biomarkers for drug-induced liver injury. ..
- Roderburg C, Benz F, Vargas Cardenas D, Koch A, Janssen J, Vucur M, et al. Elevated miR-122 serum levels are an independent marker of liver injury in inflammatory diseases. Liver Int. 2015;35:1172-84 pubmed publisher..In mice and humans, miR-122 levels represent an independent and potent marker of ongoing liver injury and hepatic cell death regardless of the underlying disease. ..
- An F, Yu D, Xie Q, Gong B, Wang H, Guo Q, et al. [The role of miRNA-122 expression during the acute liver failure in mice induced by D-GalN/LPS]. Zhonghua Gan Zang Bing Za Zhi. 2010;18:527-32 pubmed publisher..493 and 0.674 respectively). Liver-specific miR-122 supposed be a new marker molecule for early diagnosis of liver cells injury in the acute liver failure. ..
- Takada S, Berezikov E, Yamashita Y, Lagos Quintana M, Kloosterman W, Enomoto M, et al. Mouse microRNA profiles determined with a new and sensitive cloning method. Nucleic Acids Res. 2006;34:e115 pubmed..Our data thus indicate that the total number of miRNAs in vertebrates is larger than previously appreciated and that the expression of these molecules is tightly controlled in a tissue- and developmental stage-specific manner. ..
- Mei Q, Li X, Meng Y, Wu Z, Guo M, Zhao Y, et al. A facile and specific assay for quantifying microRNA by an optimized RT-qPCR approach. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e46890 pubmed publisher..The cost-effective RT-qPCR of miRNAs with poly(A)-stem-loop RT primer is simple to perform and highly specific, which is especially important for samples that are precious and/or difficult to obtain. ..
- Gebert L, Rebhan M, Crivelli S, Denzler R, Stoffel M, Hall J. Miravirsen (SPC3649) can inhibit the biogenesis of miR-122. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:609-21 pubmed publisher..This inhibition may contribute to the pharmacological activity of the drug in man. ..
- Chen C, Wu J, Chen G, Yuan P, Tseng Y, Li K, et al. Baculovirus-mediated miRNA regulation to suppress hepatocellular carcinoma tumorigenicity and metastasis. Mol Ther. 2015;23:79-88 pubmed publisher..These data implicate the potentials of the SB-based hybrid BV for persistently modulating miRNA and suppressing HCC tumorigenicity/metastasis. ..
- Ambade A, Satishchandran A, Szabo G. Alcoholic hepatitis accelerates early hepatobiliary cancer by increasing stemness and miR-122-mediated HIF-1Î± activation. Sci Rep. 2016;6:21340 pubmed publisher..We conclude that alcoholic steatohepatitis accelerates hepatobiliary tumors with characteristic molecular features of HCC by up-regulating inflammation, cell proliferation, stemness, and miR-122 loss. ..
- Valdmanis P, Gu S, Chu K, Jin L, Zhang F, Munding E, et al. RNA interference-induced hepatotoxicity results from loss of the first synthesized isoform of microRNA-122 in mice. Nat Med. 2016;22:557-62 pubmed publisher..Our study establishes limits to the microRNA machinery that is available for therapeutic siRNAs and suggests new paradigms for the role of miR-122 in liver homeostasis in mice. ..
- Yang Y, Seo S, Kim T, Kim S. Decrease of microRNA-122 causes hepatic insulin resistance by inducing protein tyrosine phosphatase 1B, which is reversed by licorice flavonoid. Hepatology. 2012;56:2209-20 pubmed publisher..Decreased levels of miR-122 as a consequence of HNF4? phosphorylation by JNK1 lead to hepatic insulin resistance through PTP1B induction, which may be overcome by chemical inhibition of JNK. ..
- Yang Y, Shen Z, Sun W, Gao S, Li Y, Guo Y. The role of miR-122-5p in negatively regulating T-box brain 1 expression on the differentiation of mouse bone mesenchymal stem cells. Neuroreport. 2017;28:367-374 pubmed publisher..Overexpression of miR-122-5p downregulated the expressions of Tbr1, NSE, and tauons. MiR-122-5p may negatively regulate Tbr1 expression to affect the differentiation of bMSCs into neuron-like cells. ..
- Laudadio I, Manfroid I, Achouri Y, Schmidt D, Wilson M, Cordi S, et al. A feedback loop between the liver-enriched transcription factor network and miR-122 controls hepatocyte differentiation. Gastroenterology. 2012;142:119-29 pubmed publisher..These findings could lead to methods to induce differentiation of hepatocytes in vitro and improve our understanding of liver cell dedifferentiation in pathologic conditions. ..
- Ye D, Guo S, Al Sadi R, Ma T. MicroRNA regulation of intestinal epithelial tight junction permeability. Gastroenterology. 2011;141:1323-33 pubmed publisher..TNF-? regulates intestinal permeability by inducing miR-122a-mediated degradation of occludin mRNA. These studies show the feasibility of therapeutically targeting miR-122a in vivo to preserve the intestinal barrier. ..
- Zhao H, Zhao C, Dong Y, Zhang M, Wang Y, Li F, et al. Inhibition of miR122a by Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG culture supernatant increases intestinal occludin expression and protects mice from alcoholic liver disease. Toxicol Lett. 2015;234:194-200 pubmed publisher..Here we show that chronic ethanol exposure increased intestinal miR122a expression, which decreased occludin expression leading to increased intestinal permeability...
- Callegari E, Gramantieri L, Domenicali M, D Abundo L, Sabbioni S, Negrini M. MicroRNAs in liver cancer: a model for investigating pathogenesis and novel therapeutic approaches. Cell Death Differ. 2015;22:46-57 pubmed publisher..In general, the safety of miRNAs has been proven and antitumor activity has been observed. Moreover, because of the absence or presence of mild side effects, the prophylactic use of miRNA-based approaches may be foreseen. ..
- Tang Y, Jia W, Niu X, Wu L, Shen H, Wang L, et al. CCL2 is Upregulated by Decreased miR-122 Expression in Iron-Overload-Induced Hepatic Inflammation. Cell Physiol Biochem. 2017;44:870-883 pubmed publisher..We propose the roles of miR-122/CCL2 in IO-induced hepatic inflammation. Our studies should provide a new clue for developing clinical strategies for patients with IO. ..
- Luna J, Barajas J, Teng K, Sun H, Moore M, Rice C, et al. Argonaute CLIP Defines a Deregulated miR-122-Bound Transcriptome that Correlates with Patient Survival in Human Liver Cancer. Mol Cell. 2017;67:400-410.e7 pubmed publisher..Upregulation of several common mouse and human targets, most notably BCL9, predicted survival in HCC patients. These results broadly define the molecular consequences of miR-122 downregulation in hepatocellular carcinoma. ..
- Li M, Tang Y, Wu L, Mo F, Wang X, Li H, et al. The hepatocyte-specific HNF4?/miR-122 pathway contributes to iron overload-mediated hepatic inflammation. Blood. 2017;130:1041-1051 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate the direct involvement of hepatocytes in IO-induced hepatic inflammation and are informative for developing new molecular targets and preventative therapies for patients with major hemoglobinopathy. ..
- El Zaatari M, Tobias A, Grabowska A, Kumari R, Scotting P, Kaye P, et al. De-regulation of the sonic hedgehog pathway in the InsGas mouse model of gastric carcinogenesis. Br J Cancer. 2007;96:1855-61 pubmed
- Rivkin M, Simerzin A, Zorde Khvalevsky E, Chai C, Yuval J, Rosenberg N, et al. Inflammation-Induced Expression and Secretion of MicroRNA 122 Leads to Reduced Blood Levels of Kidney-Derived Erythropoietin and Anemia. Gastroenterology. 2016;151:999-1010.e3 pubmed publisher..Strategies to block MIR122 in patients with inflammation could reduce the development or progression of anemia. ..
- Yin S, Fan Y, Zhang H, Zhao Z, Hao Y, Li J, et al. Differential TGF? pathway targeting by miR-122 in humans and mice affects liver cancer metastasis. Nat Commun. 2016;7:11012 pubmed publisher..These results reveal an evolutionary mechanism for miRNA-mediated gene regulation underlying species-specific physiological or pathological phenotype and provide a potentially valuable strategy for treating liver-associated diseases. ..
- Kazantseva Y, Yarushkin A, Mostovich L, Pustylnyak Y, Pustylnyak V. Xenosensor CAR mediates down-regulation of miR-122 and up-regulation of miR-122 targets in the liver. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2015;288:26-32 pubmed publisher..HNF4Î±-CAR cross-talk may provide new opportunities for understanding liver diseases and developing more effective therapeutic approaches to better drug treatments. ..
- Hsu S, Huang H, Chou C, Sun Y, Hsu M, Tsou A. Integrated analyses to reconstruct microRNA-mediated regulatory networks in mouse liver using high-throughput profiling. BMC Genomics. 2015;16 Suppl 2:S12 pubmed publisher..We applied the computational framework to elucidate the miRNA-mediated regulatory network in the Mir122aâ»/â» mouse model, which has an altered transcriptome and progressive liver disease...
- Androsavich J, Chau B. Non-inhibited miRNAs shape the cellular response to anti-miR. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:6945-55 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate the practical utility of this 'miR-target impact' model, and encourage its incorporation, together with the RIP competition assay, into existing target prediction and validation pipelines. ..
- Ghosh J, Bose M, Roy S, Bhattacharyya S. Leishmania donovani targets Dicer1 to downregulate miR-122, lower serum cholesterol, and facilitate murine liver infection. Cell Host Microbe. 2013;13:277-88 pubmed publisher..donovani-interacting hepatic cells. Conversely, restoration of miR-122 or Dicer1 levels in VL mouse liver increased serum cholesterol and reduced liver parasite burden. ..
- Beaudoin S, Vanderperre B, Grenier C, Tremblay I, Leduc F, Roucou X. A large ribonucleoprotein particle induced by cytoplasmic PrP shares striking similarities with the chromatoid body, an RNA granule predicted to function in posttranscriptional gene regulation. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2009;1793:335-45 pubmed publisher
- Castoldi M, Vujic Spasic M, Altamura S, Elmen J, Lindow M, Kiss J, et al. The liver-specific microRNA miR-122 controls systemic iron homeostasis in mice. J Clin Invest. 2011;121:1386-96 pubmed publisher..These data help to explain the increased Hamp mRNA levels and subsequent iron deficiency in mice with reduced miR-122 levels and establish a direct mechanistic link between miR-122 and the regulation of systemic iron metabolism. ..
- Clarke J, Sharapova T, Lake A, Blomme E, Maher J, Cherrington N. Circulating microRNA 122 in the methionine and choline-deficient mouse model of non-alcoholic steatohepatitis. J Appl Toxicol. 2014;34:726-32 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, serum levels of miR-122 can potentially be used as a sensitive biomarker for the early detection of hepatotoxicity and can aid in monitoring the extent of NAFLD-associated liver injury in mouse efficacy models. ..
- Lee C, Kim J, Kim H, Kwon H, Cho I, Choi D, et al. Discovery of an integrative network of microRNAs and transcriptomics changes for acute kidney injury. Kidney Int. 2014;86:943-53 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results uncovered an miR integrative network regulating toxicant-induced AKI and identified Foxo3 as a bridge molecule to the p53 pathway. ..
- Denzler R, Agarwal V, Stefano J, Bartel D, Stoffel M. Assessing the ceRNA hypothesis with quantitative measurements of miRNA and target abundance. Mol Cell. 2014;54:766-76 pubmed publisher..Thus, modulation of miRNA target abundance is unlikely to cause significant effects on gene expression and metabolism through a ceRNA effect...
- Smits G, Mungall A, Griffiths Jones S, Smith P, Beury D, Matthews L, et al. Conservation of the H19 noncoding RNA and H19-IGF2 imprinting mechanism in therians. Nat Genet. 2008;40:971-6 pubmed publisher..The conservation in all therians of the mechanism controlling imprinting of the IGF2-H19 locus suggests a sequential model of imprinting evolution. ..
- Shizu R, Shindo S, Yoshida T, Numazawa S. MicroRNA-122 down-regulation is involved in phenobarbital-mediated activation of the constitutive androstane receptor. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e41291 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggest that phenobarbital-mediated down-regulation of miR-122 is an early and important event in the AMPK-dependent CAR activation and transactivation of its target genes. ..
- Zhai X, Cheng F, Ji L, Zhu X, Cao Q, Zhang Y, et al. Leptin reduces microRNA-122 level in hepatic stellate cells in vitro and in vivo. Mol Immunol. 2017;92:68-75 pubmed publisher..These data have potential implications for clarifying the mechanisms of hepatic fibrogenesis associated with elevated leptin level in human such as obese patients. ..
- Chai C, Rivkin M, Berkovits L, Simerzin A, Zorde Khvalevsky E, Rosenberg N, et al. Metabolic Circuit Involving Free Fatty Acids, microRNA 122, and Triglyceride Synthesis in Liver and Muscle Tissues. Gastroenterology. 2017;153:1404-1415 pubmed publisher..Strategies to reduce triglyceride levels, by increasing MIR122, might be developed for treatment of metabolic syndrome. ..
- Wei S, Zhang M, Yu Y, Xue H, Lan X, Liu S, et al. HNF-4? regulated miR-122 contributes to development of gluconeogenesis and lipid metabolism disorders in Type 2 diabetic mice and in palmitate-treated HepG2 cells. Eur J Pharmacol. 2016;791:254-263 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that HNF-4? regulated miR-122 contributes to development of the gluconeogenic and lipid metabolism alterations observed in Type 2 diabetic mice and in palmitate-treated HepG2 cells. ..
- Tanimizu N, Kobayashi S, Ichinohe N, Mitaka T. Downregulation of miR122 by grainyhead-like 2 restricts the hepatocytic differentiation potential of adult liver progenitor cells. Development. 2014;141:4448-56 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that neonatal but not adult EpCAM(+) LPCs have great potential to produce albumin(+) hepatocytes. GRHL2 suppresses transcription of miR122 and thereby restricts the differentiation potential of adult LPCs. ..
- Thorrez L, Laudadio I, Van Deun K, Quintens R, Hendrickx N, Granvik M, et al. Tissue-specific disallowance of housekeeping genes: the other face of cell differentiation. Genome Res. 2011;21:95-105 pubmed publisher..Together, we provide a systematic analysis of tissue-specific repression of housekeeping genes, a phenomenon that has not been studied so far on a genome-wide basis and, when perturbed, can lead to human disease. ..
- Su J, Baigude H, McCarroll J, Rana T. Silencing microRNA by interfering nanoparticles in mice. Nucleic Acids Res. 2011;39:e38 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that iNOPs can successfully deliver anti-miR to specifically target and silence miRNA in clinically acceptable and therapeutically affordable doses. ..
- Csak T, Bala S, Lippai D, Satishchandran A, Catalano D, Kodys K, et al. microRNA-122 regulates hypoxia-inducible factor-1 and vimentin in hepatocytes and correlates with fibrosis in diet-induced steatohepatitis. Liver Int. 2015;35:532-41 pubmed publisher..Our novel data suggest that decreased liver miR-122 contributes to upregulation of modulators of tissue remodelling (HIF-1?, vimentin and MAP3K3) and might play a role in NASH-induced liver fibrosis. ..
- Huang X, Huang F, Yang D, Dong F, Shi X, Wang H, et al. Expression of microRNA-122 contributes to apoptosis in H9C2 myocytes. J Cell Mol Med. 2012;16:2637-46 pubmed publisher..The miR-122 is up-regulated in the myocytes of Pax-8(-/-) mice and may participate in the apoptotic gene expression and pathogenesis of heart development defect. ..
- Hand N, Master Z, Eauclaire S, Weinblatt D, Matthews R, Friedman J. The microRNA-30 family is required for vertebrate hepatobiliary development. Gastroenterology. 2009;136:1081-90 pubmed publisher..One of these, the biliary miRNA miR-30a, is required for biliary development in zebrafish. This is the first demonstration of a functional role for miRNA in hepatic organogenesis. ..
- Chowdhary V, Teng K, Thakral S, Zhang B, Lin C, Wani N, et al. miRNA-122 Protects Mice and Human Hepatocytes from Acetaminophen Toxicity by Regulating Cytochrome P450 Family 1 Subfamily A Member 2 and Family 2 Subfamily E Member 1 Expression. Am J Pathol. 2017;187:2758-2774 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results reveal a critical role of miR-122 in acetaminophen detoxification and implicate its therapeutic potential in patients with ALF...
- Mizuno Y, Tokuzawa Y, Ninomiya Y, Yagi K, Yatsuka Kanesaki Y, Suda T, et al. miR-210 promotes osteoblastic differentiation through inhibition of AcvR1b. FEBS Lett. 2009;583:2263-8 pubmed publisher..We conclude that miR-210 acts as a positive regulator of osteoblastic differentiation by inhibiting the TGF-beta/activin signaling pathway through inhibition of AcvR1b. ..
- Dorval V, Mandemakers W, Jolivette F, Coudert L, Mazroui R, De Strooper B, et al. Gene and MicroRNA transcriptome analysis of Parkinson's related LRRK2 mouse models. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e85510 pubmed publisher..Our data thus set the stage for future investigations regarding LRRK2 function in PD development. ..