Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Meox1
Description: mesenchyme homeobox 1
Alias: AI385561, D330041M02Rik, Mox-1, Mox1, homeobox protein MOX-1
- Conlon F, Lyons K, Takaesu N, Barth K, Kispert A, Herrmann B, et al. A primary requirement for nodal in the formation and maintenance of the primitive streak in the mouse. Development. 1994;120:1919-28 pubmed..Data presented in this report demonstrate the involvement of a TGF beta-related molecule in axis formation in mammals. ..
- Jukkola T, Trokovic R, Maj P, Lamberg A, Mankoo B, Pachnis V, et al. Meox1Cre: a mouse line expressing Cre recombinase in somitic mesoderm. Genesis. 2005;43:148-53 pubmed..This strategy was used to introduce Cre into the mouse Meox1 locus, which was expected to drive Cre expression in the presomitic and somitic mesoderm...
- Rodrigo I, Bovolenta P, Mankoo B, Imai K. Meox homeodomain proteins are required for Bapx1 expression in the sclerotome and activate its transcription by direct binding to its promoter. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:2757-66 pubmed..Genetic analysis has demonstrated that the transcription factors Pax1, Pax9, Meox1, Meox2, and Bapx1 are all required for sclerotomal differentiation...
- Chapman D, Papaioannou V. Three neural tubes in mouse embryos with mutations in the T-box gene Tbx6. Nature. 1998;391:695-7 pubmed
- Bennett L, Haugen Strano A, Cochran C, Brownlee H, Fiedorek F, Wiseman R. Isolation of the mouse homologue of BRCA1 and genetic mapping to mouse chromosome 11. Genomics. 1995;29:576-81 pubmed..The isolation of the mouse Brca1 homologue will facilitate the creation of mouse models for germline BRCA1 defects. ..
- Greco T, Takada S, Newhouse M, McMahon J, McMahon A, Camper S. Analysis of the vestigial tail mutation demonstrates that Wnt-3a gene dosage regulates mouse axial development. Genes Dev. 1996;10:313-24 pubmed..Interestingly, increasing levels of Wnt-3a activity appear to be necessary for the formation of more posterior derivatives of the paraxial mesoderm. ..
- Meno C, Gritsman K, Ohishi S, Ohfuji Y, Heckscher E, Mochida K, et al. Mouse Lefty2 and zebrafish antivin are feedback inhibitors of nodal signaling during vertebrate gastrulation. Mol Cell. 1999;4:287-98 pubmed..Expression of antivin is dependent on Nodal signaling, revealing a feedback loop wherein Nodal signals induce their antagonists Lefty2 and Antivin to restrict Nodal signaling during gastrulation. ..
- Pazin D, Gamer L, Cox K, Rosen V. Molecular profiling of synovial joints: use of microarray analysis to identify factors that direct the development of the knee and elbow. Dev Dyn. 2012;241:1816-26 pubmed publisher..Our microarray analyses provides a new resource for further investigation of the pathways involved in the morphogenesis of specific synovial joints. ..
- Miura S, Mishina Y. Hepatocyte growth factor-regulated tyrosine kinase substrate (Hgs) is involved in BMP signaling through phosphorylation of SMADS and TAK1 in early mouse embryo. Dev Dyn. 2011;240:2474-81 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that HGS is critical to localize TAK1 to early endosome for transducing BMP signaling for proper development. Our data revealed a new mechanism to modify BMP signaling by Hgs during early mouse development. ..
- Brewer J, Molotkov A, Mazot P, Hoch R, Soriano P. Fgfr1 regulates development through the combinatorial use of signaling proteins. Genes Dev. 2015;29:1863-74 pubmed publisher..This suggests that Erk1/2-independent signaling pathways are functionally important for Fgf signaling in vivo. ..
- Glaser S, Schaft J, Lubitz S, Vintersten K, van der Hoeven F, Tufteland K, et al. Multiple epigenetic maintenance factors implicated by the loss of Mll2 in mouse development. Development. 2006;133:1423-32 pubmed..Evidence for gene-specific regulation was also observed. Although Mox1 and Hoxb1 expression patterns were correctly established, they were not maintained in the absence of Mll2, whereas ..
- Minguillon C, Garcia Fernandez J. The single amphioxus Mox gene: insights into the functional evolution of Mox genes, somites, and the asymmetry of amphioxus somitogenesis. Dev Biol. 2002;246:455-65 pubmed..In vertebrates, Mox1 and Mox2 are distinctly expressed during the formation of somites and differentiation of their derivatives...
- Li C, Li Y, Fu X, Deng C. Anterior visceral endoderm SMAD4 signaling specifies anterior embryonic patterning and head induction in mice. Int J Biol Sci. 2010;6:569-83 pubmed
- Beckers J, Schlautmann N, Gossler A. The mouse rib-vertebrae mutation disrupts anterior-posterior somite patterning and genetically interacts with a Delta1 null allele. Mech Dev. 2000;95:35-46 pubmed..However, fine genetic mapping places rv into an interval on chromosome seven that does not contain a gene encoding a known component of the Notch signaling pathway. ..
- Georges Labouesse E, George E, Rayburn H, Hynes R. Mesodermal development in mouse embryos mutant for fibronectin. Dev Dyn. 1996;207:145-56 pubmed..These results show that specification of notochordal and somitic mesodermal lineages and significant cell migration are independent of fibronectin but that correct morphogenesis of these structures is FN-dependent. ..
- Davy A, Soriano P. Ephrin-B2 forward signaling regulates somite patterning and neural crest cell development. Dev Biol. 2007;304:182-93 pubmed..Our results uncover an important role for ephrin-B2 in NCC and somites during embryogenesis and suggest that ephrin-B2 exerts many of its embryonic function via activation of forward signaling. ..
- Dunty W, Biris K, Chalamalasetty R, Taketo M, Lewandoski M, Yamaguchi T. Wnt3a/beta-catenin signaling controls posterior body development by coordinating mesoderm formation and segmentation. Development. 2008;135:85-94 pubmed..Thus, Wnt3a regulates somitogenesis by activating a network of interacting target genes that promote mesodermal fates, activate the segmentation clock, and position boundary determination genes in the anterior PSM. ..
- Satoh W, Gotoh T, Tsunematsu Y, Aizawa S, Shimono A. Sfrp1 and Sfrp2 regulate anteroposterior axis elongation and somite segmentation during mouse embryogenesis. Development. 2006;133:989-99 pubmed..This study suggests that Wnt regulation by Sfrp1 and Sfrp2 is required for embryonic patterning. ..
- Petropoulos H, Gianakopoulos P, Ridgeway A, Skerjanc I. Disruption of Meox or Gli activity ablates skeletal myogenesis in P19 cells. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:23874-81 pubmedGli2 and Meox1 are transcription factors that are expressed in the developing somite and play roles in the commitment of cells to the skeletal muscle lineage...
- Kusumi K, Sun E, Kerrebrock A, Bronson R, Chi D, Bulotsky M, et al. The mouse pudgy mutation disrupts Delta homologue Dll3 and initiation of early somite boundaries. Nat Genet. 1998;19:274-8 pubmed..Viability analysis also indicates an important role in early development. The results point to a key role for a Notch-signalling pathway in the initiation of patterning of vertebrate paraxial mesoderm. ..
- Miyaki S, Sato T, Inoue A, Otsuki S, Ito Y, Yokoyama S, et al. MicroRNA-140 plays dual roles in both cartilage development and homeostasis. Genes Dev. 2010;24:1173-85 pubmed publisher..We show that miR-140 regulates cartilage development and homeostasis, and its loss contributes to the development of age-related OA-like changes. ..
- Wilm B, James R, Schultheiss T, Hogan B. The forkhead genes, Foxc1 and Foxc2, regulate paraxial versus intermediate mesoderm cell fate. Dev Biol. 2004;271:176-89 pubmed..Taken together, the data indicate that Foxc1 and Foxc2 regulate the establishment of paraxial versus intermediate mesoderm cell fates in the vertebrate embryo. ..
- Esterbauer H, Oberkofler H, Krempler F, Patsch W. Human peroxisome proliferator activated receptor gamma coactivator 1 (PPARGC1) gene: cDNA sequence, genomic organization, chromosomal localization, and tissue expression. Genomics. 1999;62:98-102 pubmed..Hence, PPARGC1 expression might influence insulin sensitivity as well as energy expenditure, thereby contributing to the development and pathophysiology of human obesity. ..
- Rodrigo I, Hill R, Balling R, Munsterberg A, Imai K. Pax1 and Pax9 activate Bapx1 to induce chondrogenic differentiation in the sclerotome. Development. 2003;130:473-82 pubmed..These results strongly suggest that Bapx1 is a direct target of Pax1 and Pax9. Together, we conclude that Pax1 and Pax9 are required and sufficient for the chondrogenic differentiation of sclerotomal cells. ..
- Savory J, Bouchard N, Pierre V, Rijli F, De Repentigny Y, Kothary R, et al. Cdx2 regulation of posterior development through non-Hox targets. Development. 2009;136:4099-110 pubmed publisher..We propose a model wherein Cdx2 functions as an integrator of caudalizing information by coordinating axial elongation and somite patterning through Hox-independent and -dependent pathways, respectively. ..
- Spörle R, Schughart K. Paradox segmentation along inter- and intrasomitic borderlines is followed by dysmorphology of the axial skeleton in the open brain (opb) mouse mutant. Dev Genet. 1998;22:359-73 pubmed..The segmentation defects observed suggest that in opb mutants both segmental borderlines, the somite borders and the intrasomitic borderlines (fissures), were affected and behaved paradoxically. ..
- Lee J, Silva Gagliardi N, Tepass U, McGlade C, Anderson K. The FERM protein Epb4.1l5 is required for organization of the neural plate and for the epithelial-mesenchymal transition at the primitive streak of the mouse embryo. Development. 2007;134:2007-16 pubmed..We propose that mouse Lulu (Epb4.1l5) helps anchor the actin-myosin contractile machinery to the membrane to allow the dynamic rearrangements of epithelia that mediate embryonic morphogenesis. ..
- Miura S, Singh A, Mishina Y. Bmpr1a is required for proper migration of the AVE through regulation of Dkk1 expression in the pre-streak mouse embryo. Dev Biol. 2010;341:246-54 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results suggest that BMP signaling regulates the expression patterns of Dkk1 for anterior migration of the AVE. ..
- Kuta A, Mao Y, Martin T, Ferreira de Sousa C, Whiting D, Zakaria S, et al. Fat4-Dchs1 signalling controls cell proliferation in developing vertebrae. Development. 2016;143:2367-75 pubmed publisher..Thus, we have identified a new pathway crucial for the development of the vertebrae and our data indicate that novel mechanisms of Fat4-Dchs1 signalling have evolved to control cell proliferation within the developing vertebrae. ..
- Shumacher A, Faust C, Magnuson T. Positional cloning of a global regulator of anterior-posterior patterning in mice. Nature. 1996;383:250-3 pubmed..Mice carrying a hypomorphic eed mutation exhibit posterior transformations along the axial skeleton. These results indicate that eed is required globally for A-P patterning throughout embryogenesis. ..
- Dunn N, Vincent S, Oxburgh L, Robertson E, Bikoff E. Combinatorial activities of Smad2 and Smad3 regulate mesoderm formation and patterning in the mouse embryo. Development. 2004;131:1717-28 pubmed..Collectively, these results demonstrate that dose-dependent Smad2 and Smad3 signals cooperatively mediate cell fate decisions in the early mouse embryo. ..
- Mahlapuu M, Ormestad M, Enerback S, Carlsson P. The forkhead transcription factor Foxf1 is required for differentiation of extra-embryonic and lateral plate mesoderm. Development. 2001;128:155-66 pubmed
- Ware S, Harutyunyan K, Belmont J. Zic3 is critical for early embryonic patterning during gastrulation. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:776-85 pubmed..At later stages, deficiency of Zic3 results in abnormal mesoderm allocation. These results indicate a requirement for Zic3 during early embryogenesis prior to cardiac and visceral organ patterning. ..
- Suzuki A, de la Pompa J, Stambolic V, Elia A, Sasaki T, del Barco Barrantes I, et al. High cancer susceptibility and embryonic lethality associated with mutation of the PTEN tumor suppressor gene in mice. Curr Biol. 1998;8:1169-78 pubmed..We provide direct evidence of the role of mPTEN as a tumor suppressor gene in mice, and establish the mPTEN mutant mouse as an experimental model for investigating the role of PTEN in cancer progression. ..
- Zohn I, Li Y, Skolnik E, Anderson K, Han J, Niswander L. p38 and a p38-interacting protein are critical for downregulation of E-cadherin during mouse gastrulation. Cell. 2006;125:957-69 pubmed..Finally, p38 regulates E-cadherin protein expression downstream from NCK-interacting kinase (NIK) and independently of the regulation of transcription by Fibroblast Growth Factor (Fgf) signaling and Snail. ..
- Stafford D, Brunet L, Khokha M, Economides A, Harland R. Cooperative activity of noggin and gremlin 1 in axial skeleton development. Development. 2011;138:1005-14 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Nog and Grem1 cooperate to maintain a BMP signaling-free zone that is a crucial prerequisite for Hh-mediated sclerotome induction...
- Streicher J, Donat M, Strauss B, Spörle R, Schughart K, Müller G. Computer-based three-dimensional visualization of developmental gene expression. Nat Genet. 2000;25:147-52 pubmed..This work is accompanied by a web site (http://www.univie.ac.at/GeneEMAC). ..
- Flagg A, Earley J, Svensson E. FOG-2 attenuates endothelial-to-mesenchymal transformation in the endocardial cushions of the developing heart. Dev Biol. 2007;304:308-16 pubmed..Taken together with GATA4's known role in promoting EMT, these results suggest that FOG-2 functions in cardiac valve formation as an attenuator of EMT by repressing GATA4 activity within the developing endocardial cushions. ..
- Vickerman L, Neufeld S, Cobb J. Shox2 function couples neural, muscular and skeletal development in the proximal forelimb. Dev Biol. 2011;350:323-36 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that Shox2 is required for normal skeletal, neural and muscular development in the forelimb at a similar early developmental stage in each tissue. ..
- Xue Y, Wang X, Li Z, Gotoh N, Chapman D, Skolnik E. Mesodermal patterning defect in mice lacking the Ste20 NCK interacting kinase (NIK). Development. 2001;128:1559-72 pubmed
- Osipovich A, Gangula R, Vianna P, Magnuson M. Setd5 is essential for mammalian development and the co-transcriptional regulation of histone acetylation. Development. 2016;143:4595-4607 pubmed..These findings suggest that SETD5 functions in a manner similar to yeast Set3p and Drosophila UpSET, and that it is essential for regulating histone acetylation during gene transcription. ..
- Egea J, Erlacher C, Montanez E, Burtscher I, Yamagishi S, Hess M, et al. Genetic ablation of FLRT3 reveals a novel morphogenetic function for the anterior visceral endoderm in suppressing mesoderm differentiation. Genes Dev. 2008;22:3349-62 pubmed publisher..We propose that this novel function cooperates with the signaling activities of the AVE to restrict EMT and mesoderm induction to the posterior epiblast. ..
- Miura S, Davis S, Klingensmith J, Mishina Y. BMP signaling in the epiblast is required for proper recruitment of the prospective paraxial mesoderm and development of the somites. Development. 2006;133:3767-75 pubmed..This suggests that BMP and FGF signaling function antagonistically during paraxial mesoderm development. ..
- Tomaz R, Harman J, Karimlou D, Weavers L, Fritsch L, Bou Kheir T, et al. Jmjd2c facilitates the assembly of essential enhancer-protein complexes at the onset of embryonic stem cell differentiation. Development. 2017;144:567-579 pubmed publisher..These findings unveil Jmjd2c and G9a as novel enhancer-associated factors, and implicate Jmjd2c as a molecular scaffold for the assembly of essential enhancer-protein complexes with an impact on timely gene activation. ..
- Moisan V, Bomgardner D, Tremblay J. Expression of the Ladybird-like homeobox 2 transcription factor in the developing mouse testis and epididymis. BMC Dev Biol. 2008;8:22 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our data suggest that the homeoprotein Lbx2 might be involved in the regulation of male reproductive system development and cell differentiation as well as in male epididymal segmentation. ..
- Greene N, Gerrelli D, van Straaten H, Copp A. Abnormalities of floor plate, notochord and somite differentiation in the loop-tail (Lp) mouse: a model of severe neural tube defects. Mech Dev. 1998;73:59-72 pubmed..Comparison with other mouse mutants suggests that the enlarged floor plate may be responsible for the failure of neural tube closure in Lp/Lp embryos. ..
- Saga Y. Genetic rescue of segmentation defect in MesP2-deficient mice by MesP1 gene replacement. Mech Dev. 1998;75:53-66 pubmed..Thus, it is concluded that the functions of MesP1 during somitogenesis, like MesP2, are also mediated via notch-delta and FGF signaling systems. ..
- Partanen J, Schwartz L, Rossant J. Opposite phenotypes of hypomorphic and Y766 phosphorylation site mutations reveal a function for Fgfr1 in anteroposterior patterning of mouse embryos. Genes Dev. 1998;12:2332-44 pubmed
- Hart A, Hartley L, Sourris K, Stadler E, Li R, Stanley E, et al. Mixl1 is required for axial mesendoderm morphogenesis and patterning in the murine embryo. Development. 2002;129:3597-608 pubmed..Mixl1 is therefore required for the morphogenesis of axial mesoderm, the heart and the gut during embryogenesis. ..
- Niederreither K, Subbarayan V, Dolle P, Chambon P. Embryonic retinoic acid synthesis is essential for early mouse post-implantation development. Nat Genet. 1999;21:444-8 pubmed..Our data establish that RA synthesized by the post-implantation mammalian embryo is an essential developmental hormone whose lack leads to early embryo death. ..
- Yamaguchi T, Takada S, Yoshikawa Y, Wu N, McMahon A. T (Brachyury) is a direct target of Wnt3a during paraxial mesoderm specification. Genes Dev. 1999;13:3185-90 pubmed..Our results suggest that Wnt3a, signaling via Brachyury, modulates a balance between mesodermal and neural cell fates during gastrulation. ..
- Iratni R, Yan Y, Chen C, Ding J, Zhang Y, Price S, et al. Inhibition of excess nodal signaling during mouse gastrulation by the transcriptional corepressor DRAP1. Science. 2002;298:1996-9 pubmed..We propose that DRAP1 limits the spread of a morphogenetic signal by down-modulating the response to the Nodal autoregulatory loop. ..
- Jin O, Harpal K, Ang S, Rossant J. Otx2 and HNF3beta genetically interact in anterior patterning. Int J Dev Biol. 2001;45:357-65 pubmed..In addition, the forebrain truncations suggest an involvement of both genes in anterior patterning, through their overlapping expression domains in either the AVE and/or the prechordal mesoderm...
- Nacke S, Schafer R, Habré de Angelis M, Mundlos S. Mouse mutant "rib-vertebrae" (rv): a defect in somite polarity. Dev Dyn. 2000;219:192-200 pubmed..a disruption of the anterior-posterior polarization of somites, as indicated by the abnormal expression of Pax1 and Mox1. Somites are irregular in size but the overall formation of somites appears unaffected...
- Satoh W, Matsuyama M, Takemura H, Aizawa S, Shimono A. Sfrp1, Sfrp2, and Sfrp5 regulate the Wnt/beta-catenin and the planar cell polarity pathways during early trunk formation in mouse. Genesis. 2008;46:92-103 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that Sfrps regulation of the canonical and noncanonical pathways is essential for proper trunk formation. ..
- Hrabe de Angelis M, McIntyre J, Gossler A. Maintenance of somite borders in mice requires the Delta homologue DII1. Nature. 1997;386:717-21 pubmed
- Valasek P, Evans D, Maina F, Grim M, Patel K. A dual fate of the hindlimb muscle mass: cloacal/perineal musculature develops from leg muscle cells. Development. 2005;132:447-58 pubmed
- Goh K, Yang J, Hynes R. Mesodermal defects and cranial neural crest apoptosis in alpha5 integrin-null embryos. Development. 1997;124:4309-19 pubmed
- Xu X, Li C, Takahashi K, Slavkin H, Shum L, Deng C. Murine fibroblast growth factor receptor 1alpha isoforms mediate node regression and are essential for posterior mesoderm development. Dev Biol. 1999;208:293-306 pubmed..These data demonstrate that FGF/FGFR1alpha signals are posteriorizing factors that control node regression and posterior embryonic development. ..
- Welsh I, O Brien T. Loss of late primitive streak mesoderm and interruption of left-right morphogenesis in the Ednrb(s-1Acrg) mutant mouse. Dev Biol. 2000;225:151-68 pubmed..We propose that this mutation disrupts a morphogenetic pathway, likely involving FGF signaling, important for the development of streak-derived posterior mesoderm and lateral morphogenesis. ..
- Hustert E, Scherer G, Olowson M, Guenet J, Balling R. Rbt (Rabo torcido), a new mouse skeletal mutation involved in anteroposterior patterning of the axial skeleton, maps close to the Ts (tail-short) locus and distal to the Sox9 locus on chromosome 11. Mamm Genome. 1996;7:881-5 pubmed..Sox9, the human homolog of which is responsible for the skeletal malformation syndrome campomelic dysplasia, was mapped proximal to D11Mit128. It is, therefore, unlikely that Ts and Rbt are mouse models for this human skeletal disorder. ..
- Bussen M, Petry M, Schuster Gossler K, Leitges M, Gossler A, Kispert A. The T-box transcription factor Tbx18 maintains the separation of anterior and posterior somite compartments. Genes Dev. 2004;18:1209-21 pubmed..In summary, Tbx18 appears to act downstream of Mesp2 and Delta/Notch signaling to maintain the separation of anterior and posterior somite compartments. ..
- Ang S, Jin O, Rhinn M, Daigle N, Stevenson L, Rossant J. A targeted mouse Otx2 mutation leads to severe defects in gastrulation and formation of axial mesoderm and to deletion of rostral brain. Development. 1996;122:243-52 pubmed
- Chen W, Liang Y, Deng W, Shimizu K, Ashique A, Li E, et al. The zinc-finger protein CNBP is required for forebrain formation in the mouse. Development. 2003;130:1367-79 pubmed..In these regions, Myc expression was absent, indicating CNBP targets Myc in rostral head formation. Our findings demonstrate that Cnbp is essential for the forebrain induction and specification. ..
- Zhang N, Gridley T. Defects in somite formation in lunatic fringe-deficient mice. Nature. 1998;394:374-7 pubmed..These results indicate that Lfng encodes an essential component of the Notch signalling pathway during somitogenesis in mice. ..
- Filosa S, Rivera Pérez J, Gomez A, Gansmuller A, Sasaki H, Behringer R, et al. Goosecoid and HNF-3beta genetically interact to regulate neural tube patterning during mouse embryogenesis. Development. 1997;124:2843-54 pubmed..Our results also suggest that interaction between gsc and HNF-3beta regulates other signalling molecules required for proper development of the foregut, branchial arches and heart. ..
- Saga Y, Hata N, Koseki H, Taketo M. Mesp2: a novel mouse gene expressed in the presegmented mesoderm and essential for segmentation initiation. Genes Dev. 1997;11:1827-39 pubmed
- Ota M, Loebel D, O Rourke M, Wong N, Tsoi B, Tam P. Twist is required for patterning the cranial nerves and maintaining the viability of mesodermal cells. Dev Dyn. 2004;230:216-28 pubmed
- Xiao Z, Patrakka J, Nukui M, Chi L, Niu D, Betsholtz C, et al. Deficiency in Crumbs homolog 2 (Crb2) affects gastrulation and results in embryonic lethality in mice. Dev Dyn. 2011;240:2646-56 pubmed publisher..5. These findings therefore indicate a novel role for the Crumbs family of proteins. ..
- Bloomekatz J, Grego Bessa J, Migeotte I, Anderson K. Pten regulates collective cell migration during specification of the anterior-posterior axis of the mouse embryo. Dev Biol. 2012;364:192-201 pubmed publisher..The findings suggest that Pten has an essential and general role in the control of mammalian collective cell migration. ..
- Di Giovanni V, Walker K, Bushnell D, Schaefer C, Sims Lucas S, Puri P, et al. Fibroblast growth factor receptor-Frs2Î± signaling is critical for nephron progenitors. Dev Biol. 2015;400:82-93 pubmed publisher..Thus, Fgfr1 and Fgfr2 have synergistic roles in maintaining nephron progenitors; furthermore, Fgfr signaling in nephron progenitors appears to be mediated predominantly by Frs2Î±. ..
- Johnston S, Rauskolb C, Wilson R, Prabhakaran B, Irvine K, Vogt T. A family of mammalian Fringe genes implicated in boundary determination and the Notch pathway. Development. 1997;124:2245-54 pubmed..When misexpressed in the developing Drosophila wing imaginal disc the mouse Fringe genes exhibit conserved and differential effects on boundary determination. ..
- Larue L, Antos C, Butz S, Huber O, Delmas V, Dominis M, et al. A role for cadherins in tissue formation. Development. 1996;122:3185-94 pubmed..These results provide the first evidence that specific cadherins directly stimulate differentiation into certain types of tissues. ..
- Kasarskis A, Manova K, Anderson K. A phenotype-based screen for embryonic lethal mutations in the mouse. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:7485-90 pubmed..Two mutations produce novel early phenotypes and map to regions of the genome not previously implicated in embryonic patterning. ..
- Chawengsaksophak K, de Graaff W, Rossant J, Deschamps J, Beck F. Cdx2 is essential for axial elongation in mouse development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:7641-5 pubmed..The gene appears to be important in the integration of the pathways controlling embryonic axial elongation, and anterior-posterior patterning. ..
- Qian L, Mahaffey J, Alcorn H, Anderson K. Tissue-specific roles of Axin2 in the inhibition and activation of Wnt signaling in the mouse embryo. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:8692-7 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that although increased stability of Axin2 leads to a loss of canonical Wnt signaling in most tissues, stabilized Axin2 enhances Wnt pathway activity in a specific progenitor population in the late primitive streak. ..
- Hildebrand J, Soriano P. Shroom, a PDZ domain-containing actin-binding protein, is required for neural tube morphogenesis in mice. Cell. 1999;99:485-97 pubmed..Finally, cytoskeletal polarity within the neuroepithelium is perturbed in mutant embryos. In concert, these observations suggest that Shrm is a critical determinant of the cellular architecture required for proper neurulation. ..
- Vermot J, Gallego Llamas J, Fraulob V, Niederreither K, Chambon P, Dolle P. Retinoic acid controls the bilateral symmetry of somite formation in the mouse embryo. Science. 2005;308:563-6 pubmed..These data implicate retinoic acid as an endogenous signal that maintains the bilateral synchrony of mesoderm segmentation, and therefore controls bilateral symmetry, in vertebrate embryos. ..