Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Mef2b
Description: myocyte enhancer factor 2B
Alias: AI451606, myocyte-specific enhancer factor 2B
- Friday B, Mitchell P, Kegley K, Pavlath G. Calcineurin initiates skeletal muscle differentiation by activating MEF2 and MyoD. Differentiation. 2003;71:217-27 pubmed..These results demonstrate that calcineurin regulates skeletal muscle differentiation by activating MEF2 and MyoD transcription factors leading to the induction of myogenin expression. ..
- Arnold M, Kim Y, Czubryt M, Phan D, McAnally J, Qi X, et al. MEF2C transcription factor controls chondrocyte hypertrophy and bone development. Dev Cell. 2007;12:377-89 pubmed..These findings reveal unexpected commonalities in the mechanisms governing muscle, cardiovascular, and bone development with respect to their regulation by MEF2 and class II HDACs. ..
- Ferrari S, Molinari S, Melchionna R, Cusella De Angelis M, Battini R, De Angelis L, et al. Absence of MEF2 binding to the A/T-rich element in the muscle creatine kinase (MCK) enhancer correlates with lack of early expression of the MCK gene in embryonic mammalian muscle. Cell Growth Differ. 1997;8:23-34 pubmed..We propose that phosphorylation of MEF2 regulates its activity and represents an important aspect of the mechanism controlling stage-specific transcription during skeletal myogenesis. ..
- Kao H, Verdel A, Tsai C, Simon C, Juguilon H, Khochbin S. Mechanism for nucleocytoplasmic shuttling of histone deacetylase 7. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:47496-507 pubmed..The data also show that the cellular concentration of factors such as 14-3-3, CaMK I, and other yet unknown molecules may determine the subcellular localization of an individual HDAC member in a cell type and HDAC-specific manner. ..
- Lin X, Shah S, Bulleit R. The expression of MEF2 genes is implicated in CNS neuronal differentiation. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 1996;42:307-16 pubmed..These observations suggest that MEF2 molecules may be an important factor involved in CNS neuron differentiation similar to their role in muscle differentiation. ..
- Gregoire S, Xiao L, Nie J, Zhang X, Xu M, Li J, et al. Histone deacetylase 3 interacts with and deacetylates myocyte enhancer factor 2. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:1280-95 pubmed..These results reveal an unexpected role for HDAC3 and suggest a novel pathway through which MEF2 activity is controlled in vivo. ..
- Von Both I, Silvestri C, Erdemir T, Lickert H, Walls J, Henkelman R, et al. Foxh1 is essential for development of the anterior heart field. Dev Cell. 2004;7:331-45 pubmed..Thus, Foxh1 and Nkx2-5 functionally interact and are essential for development of the AHF and its derivatives, the RV and OFT, in response to TGFbeta-like signals. ..
- Lin Q, Schwarz J, Bucana C, Olson E. Control of mouse cardiac morphogenesis and myogenesis by transcription factor MEF2C. Science. 1997;276:1404-7 pubmed..Thus, MEF2C is an essential regulator of cardiac myogenesis and right ventricular development. ..
- Naya F, Wu C, Richardson J, Overbeek P, Olson E. Transcriptional activity of MEF2 during mouse embryogenesis monitored with a MEF2-dependent transgene. Development. 1999;126:2045-52 pubmed..The discordance between MEF2 mRNA expression and MEF2 transcriptional activity in nonmuscle cell types of embryos and adults also supports the notion that post-transcriptional mechanisms regulate the expression of MEF2 proteins. ..
- Lazaro J, Bailey P, Lassar A. Cyclin D-cdk4 activity modulates the subnuclear localization and interaction of MEF2 with SRC-family coactivators during skeletal muscle differentiation. Genes Dev. 2002;16:1792-805 pubmed
- Ross R, Navankasattusas S, Harvey R, Chien K. An HF-1a/HF-1b/MEF-2 combinatorial element confers cardiac ventricular specificity and established an anterior-posterior gradient of expression. Development. 1996;122:1799-809 pubmed..The patterned expression of this transgene may provide a model system in which to investigate the cues that dictate anterior-posterior (right ventricle/left ventricle) gradients during mammalian heart development. ..