Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Mc5r
Description: melanocortin 5 receptor
Alias: melanocortin receptor 5, MC5-R
- Caldwell H, Lepri J. Disruption of the fifth melanocortin receptor alters the urinary excretion of aggression-modifying pheromones in male house mice. Chem Senses. 2002;27:91-4 pubmed..These results are consistent with the hypothesis that activation of the fifth melanocortin receptor in the preputial glands of male house mice causes excretion of urinary pheromones that delay aggressive responses by other males. ..
- Hendrich B, Abbott C, McQueen H, Chambers D, Cross S, Bird A. Genomic structure and chromosomal mapping of the murine and human Mbd1, Mbd2, Mbd3, and Mbd4 genes. Mamm Genome. 1999;10:906-12 pubmed..The Mbd1 and Mbd2 genes, in contrast, map together to murine and human Chromosomes (Chrs)18. The Mbd3 and Mbd4 genes map to murine Chrs 10 and 6, respectively, while the human MBD3 and MBD4 genes map to Chrs 19 and 3, respectively. ..
- Zemel M. Agouti/melanocortin interactions with leptin pathways in obesity. Nutr Rev. 1998;56:271-4 pubmed..Both of these actions occur via a Ca(2+)-dependent mechanism, suggesting that modulation of adipocyte Ca2+ transport may be a key target for further investigation. ..
- Lee D, Taylor A. Both MC5r and A2Ar are required for protective regulatory immunity in the spleen of post-experimental autoimmune uveitis in mice. J Immunol. 2013;191:4103-11 pubmed publisherThe ocular microenvironment uses a poorly defined mela5 receptor (MC5r)-dependent pathway to recover immune tolerance following intraocular inflammation...
- Gantz I, Shimoto Y, Konda Y, Miwa H, Dickinson C, Yamada T. Molecular cloning, expression, and characterization of a fifth melanocortin receptor. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1994;200:1214-20 pubmed..Northern blot analysis demonstrated the expression of mMC5R mRNA in mouse skeletal muscle, lung, spleen, and brain. ..
- Lee D, Taylor A. Following EAU recovery there is an associated MC5r-dependent APC induction of regulatory immunity in the spleen. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2011;52:8862-7 pubmed publisher..Induction of this regulatory immunity is dependent on the expression of the melanocortin 5 receptor (MC5r)...
- Kiefer L, Veal J, Mountjoy K, Wilkison W. Melanocortin receptor binding determinants in the agouti protein. Biochemistry. 1998;37:991-7 pubmed..These agouti variants with altered receptor selectivity may be useful in determining the role of melanocortin receptors in diabetes and obesity. ..
- Fathi Z, Iben L, Parker E. Cloning, expression, and tissue distribution of a fifth melanocortin receptor subtype. Neurochem Res. 1995;20:107-13 pubmed..Lower but detectable levels of MC5 mRNA are also found in RT2-2 retinal neuronal cells, lung, testis, spleen, heart, kidney, and liver. ..
- O Shaughnessy P, Fleming L, Jackson G, Hochgeschwender U, Reed P, Baker P. Adrenocorticotropic hormone directly stimulates testosterone production by the fetal and neonatal mouse testis. Endocrinology. 2003;144:3279-84 pubmed..Results show that both LH and ACTH can regulate testicular steroidogenesis during fetal development in the mouse and suggest that fetal Leydig cells, but not adult Leydig cells, are sensitive to ACTH stimulation. ..
- Rodrigues A, Almeida H, Gouveia A. Alpha-MSH signalling via melanocortin 5 receptor promotes lipolysis and impairs re-esterification in adipocytes. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013;1831:1267-75 pubmed..The aim of the current study was to investigate the role of melanocortin 5 receptor (MC5R) on alpha-melanocyte-stimulating hormone (alpha-MSH)-induced lipolysis in 3T3-L1 adipocytes...
- Schioth H, Fredriksson A, Carlsson C, Yook P, Muceniece R, Wikberg J. Evidence indicating that the extracellular loops of the mouse MC5 receptor do not participate in ligand binding. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 1998;139:109-15 pubmed..Comparison of the wild type mMC5 receptor with the hMC5 receptor showed that it has the same potency order for the MSH peptides but considerably higher affinity than the hMC5 receptor. ..
- Jun D, Na K, Kim W, Kwak D, Kwon E, Yoon J, et al. Melanocortins induce interleukin 6 gene expression and secretion through melanocortin receptors 2 and 5 in 3T3-L1 adipocytes. J Mol Endocrinol. 2010;44:225-36 pubmed publisher..Of the five MCRs that have been cloned, MC2R and MC5R are expressed during adipocyte differentiation...
- Etori M, Yonekubo K, Sato E, Mizukami K, Hirahara K, Karasuyama H, et al. Melanocortin receptors 1 and 5 might mediate inhibitory effects of ?-melanocyte-stimulating hormone on antigen-induced chronic allergic skin inflammation in IgE transgenic mice. J Invest Dermatol. 2012;132:1925-7 pubmed publisher
- Rodrigues A, Almeida H, Gouveia A. Melanocortin 5 receptor signaling and internalization: role of MAPK/ERK pathway and ?-arrestins 1/2. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2012;361:69-79 pubmed publisherThe Melanocortin 5 receptor (MC5R) is a G-protein coupled receptor (GPCR) that exhibits high affinity for ?-MSH...
- Lute B, Jou W, Lateef D, Goldgof M, Xiao C, PiÃ±ol R, et al. Biphasic effect of melanocortin agonists on metabolic rate and body temperature. Cell Metab. 2014;20:333-45 pubmed publisher..a profound, transient hypometabolism/hypothermia that is preserved in mice lacking any one of Mc1r, Mc3r, Mc4r, or Mc5r. Three other melanocortin agonists also caused hypothermia, which is actively achieved via seeking a cool ..
- Korstanje R, Desai J, Lazar G, King B, Rollins J, Spurr M, et al. Quantitative trait loci affecting phenotypic variation in the vacuolated lens mouse mutant, a multigenic mouse model of neural tube defects. Physiol Genomics. 2008;35:296-304 pubmed publisher..Bioinformatics and protein modeling suggest that these variants may be functional. Our studies further establish vl as a multigenic mouse model for NTDs and identify additional QTL that interact with Gpr161 to regulate neurulation. ..
- Morgan C, Cone R. Melanocortin-5 receptor deficiency in mice blocks a novel pathway influencing pheromone-induced aggression. Behav Genet. 2006;36:291-300 pubmedThe rodent preputial gland secretes aggression-promoting pheromones and expresses melanocortin-5 receptor (MC5R), but the functional relationship is poorly understood...
- Schioth H, Muceniece R, Szardenings M, Prusis P, Wikberg J. Evidence indicating that the TM4, EL2, and TM5 of the melanocortin 3 receptor Do not participate in ligand binding. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1996;229:687-92 pubmed..The data provide further evidence, that the mutated regions may not participate at all in ligand binding, as indicated by modelling experiments and homology comparison. ..