Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Mapk10
Description: mitogen-activated protein kinase 10
Alias: C230008H04Rik, JNK3, JNK3B1, JNK3B2, SAPK(beta), Serk2, p493F12, p54bSAPK, mitogen-activated protein kinase 10, JNK3 beta1 protein kinase, JNK3 beta2 protein kinase, MAP kinase 10, MAP kinase p49 3F12, SAPK/Erk/kinase 2, c-Jun N-terminal kinase 3, stress-activated protein kinase JNK3
- Yoon S, Park D, Ryu J, Ozer H, Tep C, Shin Y, et al. JNK3 perpetuates metabolic stress induced by A? peptides. Neuron. 2012;75:824-37 pubmed publisher..This translational block leads to widespread ER stress, which activates JNK3. JNK3 in turn phosphorylates APP at T668, thereby facilitating its endocytosis and subsequent processing...
- Kuan C, Whitmarsh A, Yang D, Liao G, Schloemer A, Dong C, et al. A critical role of neural-specific JNK3 for ischemic apoptosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:15184-9 pubmed..important contributor to stress-induced apoptosis, but it is unclear whether JNK and its isoforms (JNK1, JNK2, and JNK3) have distinct roles in cerebral ischemia...
- Kawasaki Y, Kugimiya F, Chikuda H, Kamekura S, Ikeda T, Kawamura N, et al. Phosphorylation of GSK-3beta by cGMP-dependent protein kinase II promotes hypertrophic differentiation of murine chondrocytes. J Clin Invest. 2008;118:2506-15 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that hypertrophic differentiation of growth plate chondrocytes during skeletal growth is promoted by phosphorylation and inactivation of GSK-3beta by cGKII. ..
- Miquelajauregui A, Van de Putte T, Polyakov A, Nityanandam A, Boppana S, Seuntjens E, et al. Smad-interacting protein-1 (Zfhx1b) acts upstream of Wnt signaling in the mouse hippocampus and controls its formation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:12919-24 pubmed..Sip1 is therefore essential to the development of the hippocampus and dentate gyrus, and is able to modulate Wnt signaling in these regions. ..
- Weston C, Wong A, Hall J, Goad M, Flavell R, Davis R. The c-Jun NH2-terminal kinase is essential for epidermal growth factor expression during epidermal morphogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:14114-9 pubmed..We conclude that JNK is necessary for epithelial morphogenesis and is an essential regulator of signal transduction by the EGF receptor in the epidermis. ..
- Koyano S, Ito M, Takamatsu N, Shiba T, Yamamoto K, Yoshioka K. A novel Jun N-terminal kinase (JNK)-binding protein that enhances the activation of JNK by MEK kinase 1 and TGF-beta-activated kinase 1. FEBS Lett. 1999;457:385-8 pubmed..novel Jun N-terminal kinase (JNK)-binding protein, termed JNKBP1, and examined its binding affinity for JNK1, JNK2, JNK3, and extracellular signal-regulated kinase 2 (ERK2) in COS-7 cells...
- Sherrin T, Blank T, Hippel C, Rayner M, Davis R, Todorovic C. Hippocampal c-Jun-N-terminal kinases serve as negative regulators of associative learning. J Neurosci. 2010;30:13348-61 pubmed publisher..biochemical and transgenic approaches with mutant mice lacking different members of the JNK family (Jnk1, Jnk2, and Jnk3), we provided evidence that JNK2 and JNK3 are critically involved in stress-induced deficit of contextual fear, ..
- Carulla P, Bribian A, Rangel A, Gavin R, Ferrer I, Caelles C, et al. Neuroprotective role of PrPC against kainate-induced epileptic seizures and cell death depends on the modulation of JNK3 activation by GluR6/7-PSD-95 binding. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:3041-54 pubmed publisher..we demonstrate that neurotoxicity induced by KA in Prnp knockout mice depends on the c-Jun N-terminal kinase 3 (JNK3) pathway since Prnp(o/o)Jnk3(o/o) mice were not affected by KA...
- Kenchappa R, Tep C, Korade Z, Urra S, Bronfman F, Yoon S, et al. p75 neurotrophin receptor-mediated apoptosis in sympathetic neurons involves a biphasic activation of JNK and up-regulation of tumor necrosis factor-alpha-converting enzyme/ADAM17. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:20358-68 pubmed publisher..Here, we report that JNK3 activation is necessary for p75NTR cleavage; however, following release of the intracellular domain, there is a ..
- Choi W, Kim H, Xia Z. JNK inhibition of VMAT2 contributes to rotenone-induced oxidative stress and dopamine neuron death. Toxicology. 2015;328:75-81 pubmed publisher..Here we report that the neural specific JNK3 isoform of the JNKs, but not JNK1 or JNK2, is responsible for this neuron death in primary cultured dopamine ..
- Ha H, Cho I, Lee K, Lee K, Song J, Kim K, et al. The axon guidance defect of the telencephalic commissures of the JSAP1-deficient brain was partially rescued by the transgenic expression of JIP1. Dev Biol. 2005;277:184-99 pubmed
- Weston C, Wong A, Hall J, Goad M, Flavell R, Davis R. JNK initiates a cytokine cascade that causes Pax2 expression and closure of the optic fissure. Genes Dev. 2003;17:1271-80 pubmed..Mice lacking individual members of the Jnk family (Jnk1, Jnk2, and Jnk3) are viable and survive without overt structural abnormalities...
- Ramo K, Sugamura K, Craige S, Keaney J, Davis R. Suppression of ischemia in arterial occlusive disease by JNK-promoted native collateral artery development. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..Our analysis demonstrates that the MLK-JNK signaling pathway is a key regulatory mechanism that protects against ischemia in arterial occlusive disease. ..
- Salvucci O, Ohnuki H, Maric D, Hou X, Li X, Yoon S, et al. EphrinB2 controls vessel pruning through STAT1-JNK3 signalling. Nat Commun. 2015;6:6576 pubmed publisher..b>JNK3 activation causes endothelial cell death...
- Peng C, Ye J, Yan S, Kong S, Shen Y, Li C, et al. Ablation of vacuole protein sorting 18 (Vps18) gene leads to neurodegeneration and impaired neuronal migration by disrupting multiple vesicle transport pathways to lysosomes. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:32861-73 pubmed..Our results demonstrate important roles of Vps18 in neuron survival and migration, which are disrupted in multiple neural disorders. ..
- Yu J, Novgorodov S, Chudakova D, Zhu H, Bielawska A, Bielawski J, et al. JNK3 signaling pathway activates ceramide synthase leading to mitochondrial dysfunction. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:25940-9 pubmed..Stimulation of ceramide biosynthesis seems to be under control of JNK3 signaling: IR-induced ceramide generation and respiratory chain damage was abolished in mitochondria of JNK3-..
- Morfini G, You Y, Pollema S, Kaminska A, Liu K, Yoshioka K, et al. Pathogenic huntingtin inhibits fast axonal transport by activating JNK3 and phosphorylating kinesin. Nat Neurosci. 2009;12:864-71 pubmed publisher..Additional experiments indicated that the effects of polyQ-Htt on FAT were mediated by neuron-specific JNK3 and not by ubiquitously expressed JNK1, providing a molecular basis for neuron-specific pathology in Huntington's ..
- Quigley H, Cone F, Gelman S, Yang Z, Son J, Oglesby E, et al. Lack of neuroprotection against experimental glaucoma in c-Jun N-terminal kinase 3 knockout mice. Exp Eye Res. 2011;92:299-305 pubmed publisherTo determine if the absence of c-Jun N-terminal kinase 3 (JNK3) in the mouse retina would reduce retinal ganglion cell (RGC) loss in mice with experimental glaucoma...
- Pei B, Yang M, Qi X, Shen X, Chen X, Zhang F. Quercetin ameliorates ischemia/reperfusion-induced cognitive deficits by inhibiting ASK1/JNK3/caspase-3 by enhancing the Akt signaling pathway. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2016;478:199-205 pubmed publisher..Third, we used western blot analysis to investigate the expression of total and phosphorylated Akt, ASK1, JNK3, c-Jun and caspase-3 after I/R injury...
- Kim Y, Zhou P, Qian L, Chuang J, Lee J, Li C, et al. MyD88-5 links mitochondria, microtubules, and JNK3 in neurons and regulates neuronal survival. J Exp Med. 2007;204:2063-74 pubmed..from other MyD88s in that MyD88-5 is preferentially expressed in neurons, colocalizes in part with mitochondria and JNK3, and regulates neuronal death...
- Brecht S, Kirchhof R, Chromik A, Willesen M, Nicolaus T, Raivich G, et al. Specific pathophysiological functions of JNK isoforms in the brain. Eur J Neurosci. 2005;21:363-77 pubmedWe have investigated the effect of JNK1 ko, JNK2 ko, JNK3 ko, JNK2+3 ko and c-JunAA mutation on neuronal survival in adult transgenic mice following ischemia, 6-hydroxydopamine induced neurotoxicity, axon transection and kainic acid ..
- Lomoio S, Scherini E, Necchi D. Beta-amyloid overload does not directly correlate with SAPK/JNK activation and tau protein phosphorylation in the cerebellar cortex of Ts65Dn mice. Brain Res. 2009;1297:198-206 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the findings for tau protein phosphorylation suggest that Ts65Dn mice are affected by a cerebellar glial tauopathy. ..
- Suzuki J, Yoshida S, Chen Z, Momota Y, Kato K, Hirata A, et al. Ontogeny of neuropsin mRNA expression in the mouse brain. Neurosci Res. 1995;23:345-51 pubmed..Thus, the widespread localization and two types of expression pattern, constitutive or transient, suggest that NP is a multiple functional protein involved in development, neuronal plasticity and cerebrospinal fluid production. ..
- Beffert U, Nematollah Farsian F, Masiulis I, Hammer R, Yoon S, Giehl K, et al. ApoE receptor 2 controls neuronal survival in the adult brain. Curr Biol. 2006;16:2446-52 pubmed..These findings raise the possibility that ApoE and its receptors cooperatively regulate common mechanisms that are essential to neuronal survival in the adult brain. ..
- Zhong W, Sun T, Wang Q, Wang Y, Xie Y, Johnson A, et al. SAPKgamma/JNK1 and SAPKalpha/JNK2 mRNA transcripts are expressed in early gestation human placenta and mouse eggs, preimplantation embryos, and trophoblast stem cells. Fertil Steril. 2004;82 Suppl 3:1140-8 pubmed..for stress-activated protein kinase/c-Jun N-terminal kinase (SAPKgamma/JNK1, SAPKalpha/JNK2, and SAPKbeta/JNK3)...
- Liang Q, Bueno O, Wilkins B, Kuan C, Xia Y, Molkentin J. c-Jun N-terminal kinases (JNK) antagonize cardiac growth through cross-talk with calcineurin-NFAT signaling. EMBO J. 2003;22:5079-89 pubmed..These results also suggest that myocardial JNK activation is primarily dedicated to modulating calcineurin-NFAT signaling in the regulation of differentiated heart growth. ..
- Casanova E, Garate C, Ovalle S, Calvo P, Chinchetru M. Identification of four splice variants of the mouse stress-activated protein kinase JNK/SAPK alpha-isoform. Neuroreport. 1996;7:1320-4 pubmed
- Miura E, Fukaya M, Sato T, Sugihara K, Asano M, Yoshioka K, et al. Expression and distribution of JNK/SAPK-associated scaffold protein JSAP1 in developing and adult mouse brain. J Neurochem. 2006;97:1431-46 pubmed..Therefore, the characteristic cellular expression and subcellular distribution of JSAP1 might be beneficial for cells to efficiently link external stimuli to the JNK MAPK pathway and other intracellular machineries. ..
- Yoshitane H, Honma S, Imamura K, Nakajima H, Nishide S, Ono D, et al. JNK regulates the photic response of the mammalian circadian clock. EMBO Rep. 2012;13:455-61 pubmed publisher..Mice deficient for neuron-specific isoform JNK3 have altered behavioural rhythms, with longer free-running period and compromised phase shifts to light...
- Wagley Y, Hwang C, Lin H, Kam A, Law P, Loh H, et al. Inhibition of c-Jun NH2-terminal kinase stimulates mu opioid receptor expression via p38 MAPK-mediated nuclear NF-?B activation in neuronal and non-neuronal cells. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013;1833:1476-88 pubmed publisher..All these results suggest a regulatory role of the p38 MAPK and NF-?B pathways in MOR gene expression and aid to our better understanding of the MOR gene regulation. ..
- Huntwork Rodriguez S, Wang B, Watkins T, Ghosh A, Pozniak C, Bustos D, et al. JNK-mediated phosphorylation of DLK suppresses its ubiquitination to promote neuronal apoptosis. J Cell Biol. 2013;202:747-63 pubmed publisher..Through this feedback mechanism, the ubiquitin-proteasome system is able to provide an additional layer of regulation of retrograde stress signaling to generate a global cellular response to localized external insults. ..
- Myers A, Meechan D, Adney D, Tucker E. Cortical interneurons require Jnk1 to enter and navigate the developing cerebral cortex. J Neurosci. 2014;34:7787-801 pubmed publisher..These data suggest JNK signaling, predominantly mediated by interneuron expressed Jnk1, is required for guiding migration of cortical interneurons into and within the developing cerebral cortex. ..
- Morishima Y, Gotoh Y, Zieg J, Barrett T, Takano H, Flavell R, et al. Beta-amyloid induces neuronal apoptosis via a mechanism that involves the c-Jun N-terminal kinase pathway and the induction of Fas ligand. J Neurosci. 2001;21:7551-60 pubmed..These findings raise the possibility that the JNK pathway may also contribute to Abeta-dependent death in AD patients. ..
- Gupta N, Bhaskar A, Lakshmana Rao P. Transcriptional regulation and activation of the mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway after Japanese encephalitis virus infection in neuroblastoma cells. FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol. 2011;62:110-21 pubmed publisher..These findings provide a new insight into the role of the mitogen- and stress-activated kinases in JEV pathogenesis and opens up new avenues of therapeutics. ..
- Martin J, Mohit A, Miller C. Developmental expression in the mouse nervous system of the p493F12 SAP kinase. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 1996;35:47-57 pubmed..Using monoclonal antibody (MAb) 3F12, we have cloned and partially characterized p493F12 kinase, a mouse homologue of the rat SAP beta kinase and described its expression in the adult and developing ..
- Akiyama S, Yonezawa T, Kudo T, Li M, Wang H, Ito M, et al. Activation mechanism of c-Jun amino-terminal kinase in the course of neural differentiation of P19 embryonic carcinoma cells. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:36616-20 pubmed..These results suggest that two distinct TAK1-MKK4-JNK signaling pathways are independently activated at the different intracellular locations and may participate in the regulation of the neural differentiation of P19 cells. ..
- Keramaris E, Vanderluit J, Bahadori M, Mousavi K, Davis R, Flavell R, et al. c-Jun N-terminal kinase 3 deficiency protects neurons from axotomy-induced death in vivo through mechanisms independent of c-Jun phosphorylation. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:1132-41 pubmed..JNK2, JNK3, and JNK2/3 double-deficient neurons displayed significantly less death in the facial nerves of the CNS when ..
- Ries V, Silva R, Oo T, Cheng H, Rzhetskaya M, Kholodilov N, et al. JNK2 and JNK3 combined are essential for apoptosis in dopamine neurons of the substantia nigra, but are not required for axon degeneration. J Neurochem. 2008;107:1578-88 pubmed publisher..However, it has remained unknown whether the JNK2 and JNK3 isoforms, either singly or in combination, are essential for apoptotic death, and, if so, the mechanisms involved...
- Perier C, Bove J, Wu D, Dehay B, Choi D, Jackson Lewis V, et al. Two molecular pathways initiate mitochondria-dependent dopaminergic neurodegeneration in experimental Parkinson's disease. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:8161-6 pubmed..These results provide further insight into the pathogenesis of PD neurodegeneration and identify molecular targets of potential therapeutic significance for this disabling neurological illness. ..
- Tachibana H, Perrino C, Takaoka H, Davis R, Naga Prasad S, Rockman H. JNK1 is required to preserve cardiac function in the early response to pressure overload. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;343:1060-6 pubmed..applied pressure overload (TAC) in mice with selective deletion of the three JNK genes (Jnk1(-/-), Jnk2(-/-), and Jnk3(-/-))...
- Ruff C, Staak N, Patodia S, Kaswich M, Rocha Ferreira E, Da Costa C, et al. Neuronal c-Jun is required for successful axonal regeneration, but the effects of phosphorylation of its N-terminus are moderate. J Neurochem. 2012;121:607-18 pubmed publisher..Deletion of Jun N-terminal kinase (JNK)1 or JNK3 showed delayed functional recovery; deletion of JNK3 also interfered with T-cell influx, and reduced CD44 levels...
- Iwawaki T, Akai R, Yamanaka S, Kohno K. Function of IRE1 alpha in the placenta is essential for placental development and embryonic viability. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:16657-62 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal that IRE1alpha plays an essential function in extraembryonic tissues and highlight the relationship of physiological ER stress and angiogenesis in the placenta during pregnancy in mammals. ..
- Taru H, Iijima K, Hase M, Kirino Y, Yagi Y, Suzuki T. Interaction of Alzheimer's beta -amyloid precursor family proteins with scaffold proteins of the JNK signaling cascade. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:20070-8 pubmed..Analysis of APP family proteins and their associated proteins is expected to contribute to understanding the molecular process of neural degeneration in Alzheimer's disease. ..
- Reinecke K, Herdegen T, Eminel S, Aldenhoff J, Schiffelholz T. Knockout of c-Jun N-terminal kinases 1, 2 or 3 isoforms induces behavioural changes. Behav Brain Res. 2013;245:88-95 pubmed publisher..Here we have tested the behaviour of JNK1, JNK2 and JNK3 knockout (ko) mice in elevated plus maze (EPM), open field (OF), novel object recognition memory (NORM) test and ..
- Lu Z, Serghides L, Patel S, Degousee N, Rubin B, Krishnegowda G, et al. Disruption of JNK2 decreases the cytokine response to Plasmodium falciparum glycosylphosphatidylinositol in vitro and confers protection in a cerebral malaria model. J Immunol. 2006;177:6344-52 pubmed..pfGPI-stimulated JNK and c-Jun phosphorylation was absent in Jnk2(-/-) macrophages but unchanged in Jnk1(-/-) and Jnk3(-/-) macrophages compared with wild-type macrophages...
- Paina S, Garzotto D, Demarchis S, Marino M, Moiana A, Conti L, et al. Wnt5a is a transcriptional target of Dlx homeogenes and promotes differentiation of interneuron progenitors in vitro and in vivo. J Neurosci. 2011;31:2675-87 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that the Dlx-mutant environment is unfavorable for GABA differentiation, in vivo and in vitro. We conclude that Dlx genes favor interneuron differentiation also in a non-cell-autonomous fashion, via expression of Wnt5a. ..
- Yoshimura K, Ueno M, Lee S, Nakamura Y, Sato A, Yoshimura K, et al. c-Jun N-terminal kinase induces axonal degeneration and limits motor recovery after spinal cord injury in mice. Neurosci Res. 2011;71:266-77 pubmed publisher..In Jnk1(-/-) and Jnk3(-/-) mice, we observed prevention of axonal degeneration and enhancement of motor recovery after SCI...
- Abdelli S, Puyal J, Bielmann C, Buchillier V, Abderrahmani A, Clarke P, et al. JNK3 is abundant in insulin-secreting cells and protects against cytokine-induced apoptosis. Diabetologia. 2009;52:1871-80 pubmed publisher..Whereas JNK1 and JNK2 are ubiquitously produced, JNK3 has been described exclusively in neurons...
- Morrison B, Majdzadeh N, Zhang X, Lyles A, Bassel Duby R, Olson E, et al. Neuroprotection by histone deacetylase-related protein. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:3550-64 pubmed..Our results suggest that neuroprotection by HDRP is mediated by the inhibition of c-Jun through its interaction with JNK and HDAC1. ..
- Barnat M, Enslen H, Propst F, Davis R, Soares S, Nothias F. Distinct roles of c-Jun N-terminal kinase isoforms in neurite initiation and elongation during axonal regeneration. J Neurosci. 2010;30:7804-16 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate that neuritogenesis is delayed by lack of JNK2 and JNK3, but not JNK1...
- Larhammar M, Huntwork Rodriguez S, Jiang Z, Solanoy H, Sengupta Ghosh A, Wang B, et al. Dual leucine zipper kinase-dependent PERK activation contributes to neuronal degeneration following insult. elife. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..These findings identify DLK as a central regulator of not only JNK but also PERK stress signaling in neurons, with both pathways contributing to neurodegeneration. ..
- Song X, Raman D, Gurevich E, Vishnivetskiy S, Gurevich V. Visual and both non-visual arrestins in their "inactive" conformation bind JNK3 and Mdm2 and relocalize them from the nucleus to the cytoplasm. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:21491-9 pubmed..study their interactions with two proteins involved in "life-and-death" decisions in the cell, the kinase JNK3 and the ubiquitin ligase Mdm2...
- Fernandes K, Harder J, JOHN S, Shrager P, Libby R. DLK-dependent signaling is important for somal but not axonal degeneration of retinal ganglion cells following axonal injury. Neurobiol Dis. 2014;69:108-16 pubmed publisher..In contrast to its robust influence on somal degeneration, Dlk deficiency did not alter RGC axonal degeneration after axonal injury as assessed using physiological readouts of optic nerve function. ..
- Kelkar N, Standen C, Davis R. Role of the JIP4 scaffold protein in the regulation of mitogen-activated protein kinase signaling pathways. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:2733-43 pubmed..The JIP4 scaffold protein therefore appears to be a new component of the p38 MAP kinase signaling pathway. ..
- Atkinson P, Cho C, Hansen M, Green S. Activity of all JNK isoforms contributes to neurite growth in spiral ganglion neurons. Hear Res. 2011;278:77-85 pubmed publisher..By transfecting epitope-tagged JNK1, JNK2, or JNK3 isoforms into SGNs, we found that all are present in the nucleus and cytoplasm and that there is no preferential ..
- Chintala S, Putris N, Geno M. Activation of TLR3 promotes the degeneration of retinal ganglion cells by upregulating the protein levels of JNK3. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2015;56:505-14 pubmed publisher..the degeneration of retinal ganglion cells (RGCs) by upregulating the protein levels of c-jun N-terminal kinase 3 (JNK3)...