Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Maoa
Description: monoamine oxidase A
Alias: 1110061B18Rik, AA407771, amine oxidase [flavin-containing] A, MAO-A, monoamine oxidase type A
- Urtikova N, Sapronova A, Brisorgueil M, Verge D, Ugriumov M. [Development of serotonergic neurons of dorsal raphe nuclei in mice with knockout of monoamine oxidase A and 5-HT1A and 5-HT1B autoreceptor]. Ontogenez. 2009;40:270-81 pubmed..The data obtained confirm the hypothesis of autoregulation of serotonergic neurons in development. ..
- Bortolato M, Godar S, Alzghoul L, Zhang J, Darling R, Simpson K, et al. Monoamine oxidase A and A/B knockout mice display autistic-like features. Int J Neuropsychopharmacol. 2013;16:869-88 pubmed publisher..b>MAOA and A/B knockout (KO) mice display high 5-HT levels, particularly during early developmental stages...
- Yang Z, Seif I, Armstrong James M. Adult experience-dependent plasticity of S1 barrel cortex in the normal and monoamine oxidase-A knockout (Tg8) mouse. Cereb Cortex. 2002;12:1269-79 pubmed..Although differing from NOR mice, experiential plasticity was not strongly compromised in Tg8 mice. Differences in WP plasticity from rat barrel cortex are discussed. ..
- Alvarez C, Vitalis T, Fon E, Hanoun N, Hamon M, Seif I, et al. Effects of genetic depletion of monoamines on somatosensory cortical development. Neuroscience. 2002;115:753-64 pubmed..Mice lacking both VMAT2 and monoamine oxidase type A (MAOA) were generated. VMAT2-MAOA DKO mice are hypomorphic but survive until P13...
- Ooi J, Hayden M, Pouladi M. Inhibition of Excessive Monoamine Oxidase A/B Activity Protects Against Stress-induced Neuronal Death in Huntington Disease. Mol Neurobiol. 2015;52:1850-1861 pubmed publisher..Altogether, this study demonstrates abnormal MAO expression and activity and suggests a potential use for MAO inhibitors in HD. ..
- Rebsam A, Seif I, Gaspar P. Dissociating barrel development and lesion-induced plasticity in the mouse somatosensory cortex. J Neurosci. 2005;25:706-10 pubmed..To test whether TCA development and lesion-induced plasticity are linked, we used monoamine oxidase A knock-out (MAOA-KO) mice in which normal TCA development is halted by an excess of serotonin...
- Santin Y, Sicard P, Vigneron F, Guilbeau Frugier C, Dutaur M, Lairez O, et al. Oxidative Stress by Monoamine Oxidase-A Impairs Transcription Factor EB Activation and Autophagosome Clearance, Leading to Cardiomyocyte Necrosis and Heart Failure. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2016;25:10-27 pubmed publisher..Antioxid. Redox Signal. 25, 10-27. ..
- Hintiryan H, Foster N, Bowman I, Bay M, Song M, Gou L, et al. The mouse cortico-striatal projectome. Nat Neurosci. 2016;19:1100-14 pubmed publisher..Together, our results provide the structural basis for studying the functional diversity of the dorsal striatum and disruptions of cortico-basal ganglia networks across a broad range of disorders. ..
- Cheng A, Scott A, Ladenheim B, Chen K, Ouyang X, Lathia J, et al. Monoamine oxidases regulate telencephalic neural progenitors in late embryonic and early postnatal development. J Neurosci. 2010;30:10752-62 pubmed publisher..Here we show that mice lacking the monoamine metabolic enzymes MAO A and MAO B (MAO AB-deficient mice) exhibit diminished proliferation of neural stem cells (NSC) in the developing ..
- Burnet H, Bevengut M, Chakri F, Bou Flores C, Coulon P, Gaytan S, et al. Altered respiratory activity and respiratory regulations in adult monoamine oxidase A-deficient mice. J Neurosci. 2001;21:5212-21 pubmed..In conclusion, the metabolism of serotonin plays a crucial role in the maturation of the respiratory network and in both the respiratory activity and the respiratory regulations. ..
- Bortolato M, Chen K, Godar S, Chen G, Wu W, Rebrin I, et al. Social deficits and perseverative behaviors, but not overt aggression, in MAO-A hypomorphic mice. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2011;36:2674-88 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings indicate that MAO A hypomorphism results in behavioral and morphological alterations distinct from those featured by MAO-A KO mice.
- Hampp G, Ripperger J, Houben T, Schmutz I, Blex C, Perreau Lenz S, et al. Regulation of monoamine oxidase A by circadian-clock components implies clock influence on mood. Curr Biol. 2008;18:678-83 pubmed publisher..We find that transcription of the monoamine oxidase A (Maoa) promoter is regulated by the clock components BMAL1, NPAS2, and PER2...
- Vitalis T, Fouquet C, Alvarez C, Seif I, Price D, Gaspar P, et al. Developmental expression of monoamine oxidases A and B in the central and peripheral nervous systems of the mouse. J Comp Neurol. 2002;442:331-47 pubmedMonoamine oxidases A (MAOA) and B (MAOB) are key players in the inactivation pathway of biogenic amines...
- Laval S, Boyd Y. Partial inversion of gene order within a homologous segment on the X chromosome. Mamm Genome. 1993;4:119-23 pubmed..Furthermore, they indicate that the mouse mutant scurfy and the human genetic disorder Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome, which have been mapped to the same regions as GATA1/Gf-1 in both species, may indeed be homologous disorders. ..
- Saura J, Richards J, Mahy N. Differential age-related changes of MAO-A and MAO-B in mouse brain and peripheral organs. Neurobiol Aging. 1994;15:399-408 pubmed..Also of interest is the decrease of liver MAO-B in old animals, which, together with the increase of MAO-B in the brain, might underlie the high sensitivity of old BL/C57 mice to MPTP. ..
- Bortolato M, Godar S, Melis M, Soggiu A, Roncada P, Casu A, et al. NMDARs mediate the role of monoamine oxidase A in pathological aggression. J Neurosci. 2012;32:8574-82 pubmed publisherConverging evidence shows that monoamine oxidase A (MAO A), the key enzyme catalyzing serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine; 5-HT) and norepinephrine (NE) degradation, is a primary factor in the pathophysiology of antisocial and aggressive ..
- Harris S, Johnson S, Duncan J, Udemgba C, Meyer J, Albert P, et al. Evidence revealing deregulation of the KLF11-MAO A pathway in association with chronic stress and depressive disorders. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2015;40:1373-82 pubmed publisher..However, it has been reported that monoamine oxidase A (MAO A, a major neurotransmitter-degrading enzyme) is significantly increased in the brains of human subjects affected ..
- Libert S, Pointer K, Bell E, Das A, Cohen D, Asara J, et al. SIRT1 activates MAO-A in the brain to mediate anxiety and exploratory drive. Cell. 2011;147:1459-72 pubmed publisher..Together these data indicate that SIRT1 mediates levels of anxiety, and this regulation may be adaptive in a changing environment of food availability. ..
- Rao V, Qureshi I, Butterworth R. Activities of monoamine oxidase-A and -B are altered in the brains of congenitally hyperammonemic sparse-fur (spf) mice. Neurosci Lett. 1994;170:27-30 pubmedActivities of monoamine oxidases, MAOA and MAOB, were measured using radiometric assays in different brain regions of the sparse-fur (spf/Y) mouse, a model of congenital hyperammonemia resulting from an X-chromosomal defect of ornithine ..
- Houades V, Koulakoff A, Ezan P, Seif I, Giaume C. Gap junction-mediated astrocytic networks in the mouse barrel cortex. J Neurosci. 2008;28:5207-17 pubmed publisher..Such properties confine intercellular communication in astrocytes within a defined barrel as previously reported for excitatory neuronal circuits. ..
- Agatsuma S, Lee M, Zhu H, Chen K, Shih J, Seif I, et al. Monoamine oxidase A knockout mice exhibit impaired nicotine preference but normal responses to novel stimuli. Hum Mol Genet. 2006;15:2721-31 pubmed..We examined the impact of constitutive monoamine oxidase A (MAOA) deficiency in mice on nicotine reward and responses to novel stimuli...
- Wang C, Man G, Chu C, Borchert A, Ugun Klusek A, Billett E, et al. Serotonin receptor 6 mediates defective brain development in monoamine oxidase A-deficient mouse embryos. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:8252-63 pubmed publisher..In summary, our findings suggest that excessive 5-HT in MAO-A-deficient mouse embryos triggers cellular signaling cascades via 5-Htr6, which suppresses developmental apoptosis in the brain and thus induces developmental retardations. ..
- Kabayama M, Sakoori K, Yamada K, Ornthanalai V, Ota M, Morimura N, et al. Rines E3 ubiquitin ligase regulates MAO-A levels and emotional responses. J Neurosci. 2013;33:12940-53 pubmed publisher..These findings verify that Rines is a critical regulator of the monoaminergic system and emotional behavior and identify a promising candidate drug target for treating diseases associated with emotion. ..
- Cases O, Vitalis T, Seif I, De Maeyer E, Sotelo C, Gaspar P. Lack of barrels in the somatosensory cortex of monoamine oxidase A-deficient mice: role of a serotonin excess during the critical period. Neuron. 1996;16:297-307 pubmedIn a transgenic mouse line (Tg8) deficient for the gene encoding monoamine oxidase A (MAOA), we show that the primary somatosensory cortex (S1) lacks the characteristic barrel-like clustering of layer IV neurons, whereas normal pattern ..
- Vitalis T, Alvarez C, Chen K, Shih J, Gaspar P, Cases O. Developmental expression pattern of monoamine oxidases in sensory organs and neural crest derivatives. J Comp Neurol. 2003;464:392-403 pubmed..In contrast, MAOA expression was restricted to the sympathetic ganglia and to the meningeal and capillary blood vessels...
- Popova N, Vishnivetskaya G, Ivanova E, Skrinskaya J, Seif I. Altered behavior and alcohol tolerance in transgenic mice lacking MAO A: a comparison with effects of MAO A inhibitor clorgyline. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2000;67:719-27 pubmedThe influence of deficiency of monoamine oxidase A (MAO A) gene and the lack of enzyme MAO A on the behavior of transgenic mouse strain (Tg8) was studied...
- Zhang J, Darling R, Paul I, Simpson K, Chen K, Shih J, et al. Altered expression of tyrosine hydroxylase in the locus coeruleus noradrenergic system in citalopram neonatally exposed rats and monoamine oxidase a knock out mice. Anat Rec (Hoboken). 2011;294:1685-97 pubmed publisher..of them appeared to be hypertrophic; (2) slightly enhanced NE cortical TH immunoreactive fibers were also noted in MAO A KO mice, and many of them revealed varicosities compared with the rather smooth NE cortical TH immunoreactive ..
- Salichon N, Gaspar P, Upton A, Picaud S, Hanoun N, Hamon M, et al. Excessive activation of serotonin (5-HT) 1B receptors disrupts the formation of sensory maps in monoamine oxidase a and 5-ht transporter knock-out mice. J Neurosci. 2001;21:884-96 pubmedDeficiency in the monoamine degradation enzyme monoamine oxidase A (MAOA) or prenatal exposure to the monoamine uptake inhibitor cocaine alters behavior in humans and rodents, but the mechanisms are unclear...
- Bortolato M, Godar S, Tambaro S, Li F, Devoto P, Coba M, et al. Early postnatal inhibition of serotonin synthesis results in long-term reductions of perseverative behaviors, but not aggression, in MAO A-deficient mice. Neuropharmacology. 2013;75:223-32 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that early developmental enhancements in 5-HT levels have long-term effects on the modulation of behavioral flexibility associated with MAO-A deficiency. ..
- Godar S, Bortolato M, Frau R, Dousti M, Chen K, Shih J. Maladaptive defensive behaviours in monoamine oxidase A-deficient mice. Int J Neuropsychopharmacol. 2011;14:1195-207 pubmed publisher..Although MAOA deficiency is associated with reactive aggression in humans and mice, the involvement of this enzyme in defensive ..
- Ganic E, Johansson J, Bennet H, Fex M, Artner I. Islet-specific monoamine oxidase A and B expression depends on MafA transcriptional activity and is compromised in type 2 diabetes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2015;468:629-35 pubmed publisher..Intracellular monoamine levels are controlled by monoamine oxidases (Mao) A and B. Here we show that MaoA and MaoB are expressed in mouse islet Î² cells and that inhibition of Mao activity reduces insulin secretion in ..
- Thompson A. Serotonin immunoreactivity in auditory brainstem neurons of the postnatal monoamine oxidase-A knockout mouse. Brain Res. 2008;1228:58-67 pubmed publisher..The pattern of expression indicates that 5-HT has a developmental role in select populations of neurons of the ascending auditory pathway prior to any influences of sound-evoked activity. ..
- Holschneider D, Scremin O, Roos K, Chialvo D, Chen K, Shih J. Increased baroreceptor response in mice deficient in monoamine oxidase A and B. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2002;282:H964-72 pubmed..These data suggest that prevention of hypertension may occur in chronic states of catecholaminergic/indoleaminergic excess by increased gain of the baroreflex. ..
- Herman G, Berry M, Munro E, Craig I, Levy E. The construction of human somatic cell hybrids containing portions of the mouse X chromosome and their use to generate DNA probes via interspersed repetitive sequence polymerase chain reaction. Genomics. 1991;10:961-70 pubmed..1/1. These results demonstrate the feasibility of this method as applied to the mouse genome and the high likelihood of generating useful DNA probes from a targeted region. ..
- Upton A, Salichon N, Lebrand C, Ravary A, Blakely R, Seif I, et al. Excess of serotonin (5-HT) alters the segregation of ispilateral and contralateral retinal projections in monoamine oxidase A knock-out mice: possible role of 5-HT uptake in retinal ganglion cells during development. J Neurosci. 1999;19:7007-24 pubmed..We report that this segregation does not occur in monoamine oxidase A knock-out mice (MAOA-KO) that have elevated brain levels of serotonin (5-HT) and noradrenaline...
- Barr C, Schwandt M, Newman T, Higley J. The use of adolescent nonhuman primates to model human alcohol intake: neurobiological, genetic, and psychological variables. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2004;1021:221-33 pubmed..genes, for example, a repeat polymorphism in the transcriptional control region of the monoamine oxidase gene (MAOA-LPR), increases the propensity for adolescent males to consume alcohol...
- Sturza A, Leisegang M, Babelova A, Schröder K, Benkhoff S, Loot A, et al. Monoamine oxidases are mediators of endothelial dysfunction in the mouse aorta. Hypertension. 2013;62:140-6 pubmed publisher..Thus, MAO-A and MAO-B are both expressed in the mouse aorta, induced by in vivo lipopolysaccharide and angiotensin II treatment and contribute via the generation of H(2)O(2) to endothelial dysfunction in vascular disease models. ..
- Popova N, Tibeikina M. Immobility and hyperthermia in the tail suspension test: association with the Porsolt test and the reflex startle reaction in 11 inbred mouse strains and the effects of genetic knockout of MAO A. Neurosci Behav Physiol. 2010;40:489-94 pubmed publisher..startle reaction were assessed in mice of 11 inbred strains and in Tg8 mice, which have genetic knockout of MAO A. Sharp genotypic differences in immobility were seen, while there was no correlation with the hyperthermic ..
- Bou Flores C, Lajard A, Monteau R, De Maeyer E, Seif I, Lanoir J, et al. Abnormal phrenic motoneuron activity and morphology in neonatal monoamine oxidase A-deficient transgenic mice: possible role of a serotonin excess. J Neurosci. 2000;20:4646-56 pubmed..Disorders affecting 5-HT metabolism during gestation may therefore have deleterious effects on newborns. ..
- Charles C, Abler A, Lau L. cDNA sequence of a growth factor-inducible immediate early gene and characterization of its encoded protein. Oncogene. 1992;7:187-90 pubmed..Using affinity-purified antibodies, we have identified the 3CH134 protein in serum-stimulated Balb/c 3T3 cells and determined that it has a short half-life. ..
- Laval S, Chen Z, Boyd Y. The properdin structural locus (Pfc) lies close to the locus for tissue inhibitor of metallothionine proteases (Timp) on the mouse X chromosome. Genomics. 1991;10:1030-4 pubmed..By minimizing the number of double recombinants the following gene order was obtained: Otc-Mao-a-(Pfc, Timp)-Hprt-Cf-9. The implications for comparative mapping of human and mouse X chromosomes are discussed. ..
- Ivanova E, Popova N. Effect of monoamine oxidase A knockout on resistance to long-term exposure to ethanol. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2002;133:603-5 pubmedIt was shown that transgenic Tg8 mice with monoamine oxidase A (MAO A) gene knockout demonstrate higher resistance to acute ethanol exposure compared to wild type C3H mice. This difference was observed at the early age (28-30 days)...
- Lajard A, Bou C, Monteau R, Hilaire G. Serotonin levels are abnormally elevated in the fetus of the monoamine oxidase-A-deficient transgenic mouse. Neurosci Lett. 1999;261:41-4 pubmed
- Jones S, Gainetdinov R, Jaber M, Giros B, Wightman R, Caron M. Profound neuronal plasticity in response to inactivation of the dopamine transporter. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:4029-34 pubmed
- Wang Z, Chen L, Zhang L, Wang X. Paradoxical sleep deprivation modulates depressive-like behaviors by regulating the MAOA levels in the amygdala and hippocampus. Brain Res. 2017;1664:17-24 pubmed publisherParadoxical sleep is closely associated with depression, and brain monoamine oxidase A (MAOA) plays an important role in depression...
- Shi M, Guo C, Dai J, Ding Y. DCC is required for the tangential migration of noradrenergic neurons in locus coeruleus of mouse brain. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2008;39:529-38 pubmed publisher..Thus, our findings demonstrate that DCC is a key regulator of tangential migration of LC neurons during the embryonic development. ..
- Velasquez D, Quines C, Pistóia R, Zeni G, Nogueira C. Selective inhibition of MAO-A activity results in an antidepressant-like action of 2-benzoyl 4-iodoselenophene in mice. Physiol Behav. 2017;170:100-105 pubmed publisher..of C17H11IOSe, it was investigated the activities of cerebral enzymes: monoamine oxidase MAO A and B and Na+, K+ ATPase, and if an inhibitor of serotonin synthesis, p-chlorophenylalanine (..
- Battinelli E, Boyd Y, Craig I, Breakefield X, Chen Z. Characterization and mapping of the mouse NDP (Norrie disease) locus (Ndp). Mamm Genome. 1996;7:93-7 pubmed..Pedigree analysis of an interspecific mouse backcross localizes the mouse NDP gene close to Maoa in the conserved segment, which runs from CYBB to PFC in both human and mouse.
- Shih J, Chen K, Ridd M. Monoamine oxidase: from genes to behavior. Annu Rev Neurosci. 1999;22:197-217 pubmed..b>MAO A and B genes are located on the X-chromosome (Xp11...
- Cazalets J, Gardette M, Hilaire G. Locomotor network maturation is transiently delayed in the MAOA-deficient mouse. J Neurophysiol. 2000;83:2468-70 pubmedIn vivo and in vitro experiments were performed in control (C3H) and monoamine oxidase A (MAOA)-deficient (Tg8) neonatal mice to determine whether MAOA deficiency affected spinal locomotor network maturation...
- Wang C, Borchert A, Ugun Klusek A, Tang L, Lui W, Chu C, et al. Monoamine oxidase a expression is vital for embryonic brain development by modulating developmental apoptosis. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:28322-30 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we observed reduced cyclin D1 levels as an indicator of impaired cell proliferation in MAO-A knockdown embryos. This data highlights MAO-A as a vital regulator of embryonic brain development. ..
- Naumenko V, Ivanova E, Kulikov A, Popova N. Effect of monoamine oxidease A knockout on the expression of 5-HTlA receptors. Dokl Biol Sci. 2005;402:205-7 pubmed
- Pchejetski D, Kunduzova O, Dayon A, Calise D, Seguelas M, Leducq N, et al. Oxidative stress-dependent sphingosine kinase-1 inhibition mediates monoamine oxidase A-associated cardiac cell apoptosis. Circ Res. 2007;100:41-9 pubmed..In addition, we provide the first evidence linking generation of reactive oxygen species with SphK1 inhibition. Finally, we propose sphingolipid metabolites as key mediators of postischemic/reperfusion cardiac injury. ..
- Alzghoul L, Bortolato M, Delis F, Thanos P, Darling R, Godar S, et al. Altered cerebellar organization and function in monoamine oxidase A hypomorphic mice. Neuropharmacology. 2012;63:1208-17 pubmed publisher..Our current findings suggest that congenitally low MAO-A activity leads to abnormal development of the cerebellum. ..
- Bras H, Gaytan S, Portalier P, Zanella S, Pasaro R, Coulon P, et al. Prenatal activation of 5-HT2A receptor induces expression of 5-HT1B receptor in phrenic motoneurons and alters the organization of their premotor network in newborn mice. Eur J Neurosci. 2008;28:1097-107 pubmed publisher..These results show that a prenatal 5-HT excess affects, via the overactivation of 5-HT(2A)-R, the expression of 5-HT(1B)-R in PhMns and the organization of their premotor network. ..
- Grailhe R, Cardona A, Even N, Seif I, Changeux J, Cloëz Tayarani I. Regional changes in the cholinergic system in mice lacking monoamine oxidase A. Brain Res Bull. 2009;78:283-9 pubmed publisherElevated brain monoamine concentrations resulting from monoamine oxidase A genetic ablation (MAOA knock-out mice) lead to changes in other neurotransmitter systems...
- Mossner R, Simantov R, Marx A, Lesch K, Seif I. Aberrant accumulation of serotonin in dopaminergic neurons. Neurosci Lett. 2006;401:49-54 pubmed..we have generated double knockout mice lacking both the 5-HTT and the catabolizing enzyme monoamine oxidase A (MAOA). We found aberrant 5-HT accumulation in the striatum of these MAOA/5-HTT double knockout mice...
- Derry J, Lan N, Shih J, Barnard E, Barnard P. Localization of monoamine oxidase A and B genes on the mouse X chromosome. Nucleic Acids Res. 1989;17:8403 pubmed
- Kim J, Shih J, Chen K, Chen L, Bao S, Maren S, et al. Selective enhancement of emotional, but not motor, learning in monoamine oxidase A-deficient mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:5929-33 pubmedMice deficient in monoamine oxidase A (MAOA), an enzyme that metabolizes monoamines such as norepinephrine and serotonin, have elevated norepinephrine and serotonin levels in the frontal cortex, hippocampus, and cerebellum, compared with ..
- Wu H, Choi S, Levitt P. Differential patterning of genes involved in serotonin metabolism and transport in extra-embryonic tissues of the mouse. Placenta. 2016;42:74-83 pubmed publisher..Mid-through late gestation expression of 5-HT system-related enzymes, Tph1, Ddc, Maoa, and 5-HT transporters, Sert/Slc6a4, Oct3/Slc22a3, Vmat2/Slc18a2, and 5-HT in placenta and yolk sac were examined, ..
- Popova N, Maslova L, Morosova E, Bulygina V, Seif I. MAO A knockout attenuates adrenocortical response to various kinds of stress. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2006;31:179-86 pubmedThe effect of a lack of the gene encoding monoamine oxidase A (MAO A) in transgenic Tg 8 mice on the corticosterone response to restraint, cold, water deprivation-induced, or social acute stress as well as chronic variable stress was ..
- Singh C, Bortolato M, Bali N, Godar S, Scott A, Chen K, et al. Cognitive abnormalities and hippocampal alterations in monoamine oxidase A and B knockout mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:12816-21 pubmed publisher..The combined deficiency of MAO A and B results in significantly elevated levels of serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine), norepinephrine, dopamine, and ?-..
- Liu C, Ren J, Liu P. Amphetamine manipulates monoamine oxidase-A level and behavior using theranostic aptamers of transcription factors AP-1/NF-kB. J Biomed Sci. 2016;23:21 pubmed publisher..This study has implications for design for the treatment of drug exposure and perhaps Parkinson's dementia. ..
- Evrard A, Malagié I, Laporte A, Boni C, Hanoun N, Trillat A, et al. Altered regulation of the 5-HT system in the brain of MAO-A knock-out mice. Eur J Neurosci. 2002;15:841-51 pubmed
- Lairez O, Calise D, Bianchi P, Ordener C, Spreux Varoquaux O, Guilbeau Frugier C, et al. Genetic deletion of MAO-A promotes serotonin-dependent ventricular hypertrophy by pressure overload. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2009;46:587-95 pubmed publisher..These results show for the first time that regulation of peripheral 5-HT by MAO-A plays a role in ventricular remodeling via activation of 5-HT(2A) receptors. ..
- Verhaagh S, Barlow D, Zwart R. The extraneuronal monoamine transporter Slc22a3/Orct3 co-localizes with the Maoa metabolizing enzyme in mouse placenta. Mech Dev. 2001;100:127-30 pubmed..The results show that Orct3 expression overlaps that of the monoamine metabolizing enzyme Maoa in the labyrinth layer of the placenta with an expression pattern distinct from that of the neuronal transporters ..
- Denson T, Dobson Stone C, Ronay R, von Hippel W, Schira M. A functional polymorphism of the MAOA gene is associated with neural responses to induced anger control. J Cogn Neurosci. 2014;26:1418-27 pubmed publisher..experimental work has linked individual differences in a functional polymorphism of the monoamine oxidase-A gene (MAOA) to anger-driven aggression...
- Yang Z, Seif I, Armstrong James M. Differences in somatosensory processing in S1 barrel cortex between normal and monoamine oxidase A knockout (Tg8) adult mice. Cereb Cortex. 2001;11:26-36 pubmed..These findings suggest that factors other than barrels and clustering of thalamo-cortical terminals define receptive field geometry. ..
- Kaludercic N, Carpi A, Nagayama T, Sivakumaran V, Zhu G, Lai E, et al. Monoamine oxidase B prompts mitochondrial and cardiac dysfunction in pressure overloaded hearts. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2014;20:267-80 pubmed publisher..Both increased oxidative stress and the accumulation of aldehyde intermediates are likely liable for these adverse morphological and mechanical changes by directly targeting mitochondria. ..
- Wang Z, Chen K, Ying Q, Li P, Shih J. Monoamine oxidase A regulates neural differentiation of murine embryonic stem cells. J Neural Transm (Vienna). 2011;118:997-1001 pubmed publisher..In this study, wild-type (WT) and MAO A(neo) embryonic stem (ES) cell lines were established from the inner cell mass of murine blastocysts and their ..
- Laval S, Boyd Y. Novel sequences conserved on the human and mouse X chromosomes. Genomics. 1993;15:483-91 pubmed..The mapping of another probe that detects a novel sequence family (DXF34) close to the X chromosome centromere in both species suggests that a block of pericentromeric material is conserved between the X chromosomes of man and mouse. ..
- Li Z, Mulligan M, Wang X, Miles M, Lu L, Williams R. A transposon in Comt generates mRNA variants and causes widespread expression and behavioral differences among mice. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e12181 pubmed publisher..The recent fixation of the variant in a subset of strains may have contributed to the rapid divergence of inbred strains. ..
- Kiebish M, Han X, Cheng H, Lunceford A, Clarke C, Moon H, et al. Lipidomic analysis and electron transport chain activities in C57BL/6J mouse brain mitochondria. J Neurochem. 2008;106:299-312 pubmed publisher..NS and Syn mitochondrial lipidomic heterogeneity could influence energy metabolism, which may contribute to metabolic compartmentation of the brain. ..