Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Lgals3
Description: lectin, galactose binding, soluble 3
Alias: GBP, L-34, Mac-2, gal3, galectin-3, 35 kDa lectin, CBP 35, L-34 galactoside-binding lectin, carbohydrate-binding protein 35, gal-3, galactose-specific lectin 3, igE-binding protein, laminin-binding protein, lectin L-29, mac-2 antigen
- Cao Z, Said N, Amin S, Wu H, Bruce A, Garate M, et al. Galectins-3 and -7, but not galectin-1, play a role in re-epithelialization of wounds. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:42299-305 pubmed..models of corneal wound healing, re-epithelialization of wounds was significantly slower in galectin-3-deficient (gal3(-/-)) mice compared with wild-type (gal3(+/+)) mice...
- Lalancette Hébert M, Swarup V, Beaulieu J, Bohacek I, Abdelhamid E, Weng Y, et al. Galectin-3 is required for resident microglia activation and proliferation in response to ischemic injury. J Neurosci. 2012;32:10383-95 pubmed publisher..Next, our results revealed that contrary to WT cells, the Gal3-KO microglia failed to proliferate in response to IGF-1...
- Boscher C, Zheng Y, Lakshminarayan R, Johannes L, Dennis J, Foster L, et al. Galectin-3 protein regulates mobility of N-cadherin and GM1 ganglioside at cell-cell junctions of mammary carcinoma cells. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:32940-52 pubmed
- Doverhag C, Hedtjarn M, Poirier F, Mallard C, Hagberg H, Karlsson A, et al. Galectin-3 contributes to neonatal hypoxic-ischemic brain injury. Neurobiol Dis. 2010;38:36-46 pubmed publisher..Galectin-3-deficient mice (gal3-/-) were protected from injury particularly in hippocampus and striatum...
- Chiu M, Johnson T, Woolf A, Dahm Vicker E, Long D, Guay Woodford L, et al. Galectin-3 associates with the primary cilium and modulates cyst growth in congenital polycystic kidney disease. Am J Pathol. 2006;169:1925-38 pubmed..These data raise the possibility that galectin-3 may act as a natural brake on cystogenesis in cpk mice, perhaps via ciliary roles...
- Alves C, Silva D, Azzolini A, Marzocchi Machado C, Carvalho J, Pajuaba A, et al. Galectin-3 plays a modulatory role in the life span and activation of murine neutrophils during early Toxoplasma gondii infection. Immunobiology. 2010;215:475-85 pubmed publisher..gondii infection. In conclusion, Gal-3 plays an important modulatory role by interfering in Nphi life span and activation during early T. gondii infection. ..
- Oliveira F, Frazao P, Chammas R, Hsu D, Liu F, Borojevic R, et al. Kinetics of mobilization and differentiation of lymphohematopoietic cells during experimental murine schistosomiasis in galectin-3 -/- mice. J Leukoc Biol. 2007;82:300-10 pubmed
- Zuberi R, Hsu D, Kalayci O, Chen H, Sheldon H, Yu L, et al. Critical role for galectin-3 in airway inflammation and bronchial hyperresponsiveness in a murine model of asthma. Am J Pathol. 2004;165:2045-53 pubmed..We investigated the role of galectin-3 in the allergic airway response by comparing galectin-3-deficient (gal3(-/-)) mice and wild-type (gal3(+/+)) mice...
- Colnot C, Fowlis D, Ripoche M, Bouchaert I, Poirier F. Embryonic implantation in galectin 1/galectin 3 double mutant mice. Dev Dyn. 1998;211:306-13 pubmedGalectin 1 and galectin 3 are first expressed in the trophectoderm cells of the implanting embryo and have been implicated in the process of implantation...
- Kim H, Lee J, Hyun J, Park J, Joo H, Shin T. Expression and immunohistochemical localization of galectin-3 in various mouse tissues. Cell Biol Int. 2007;31:655-62 pubmed..These findings suggest that galectin-3 is differentially expressed in a variety of organs in the mouse. This study provides valuable information for research on galectin-3. ..
- Song Y, Billiar T, Lee Y. Role of galectin-3 in breast cancer metastasis: involvement of nitric oxide. Am J Pathol. 2002;160:1069-75 pubmed..In conclusion, galectin-3 enhances the metastatic potential of BT549 cells through resistance to the products of iNOS, possibly through its bcl-2-like antiapoptotic function. ..
- Calvier L, Miana M, Reboul P, Cachofeiro V, Martínez Martínez E, de Boer R, et al. Galectin-3 mediates aldosterone-induced vascular fibrosis. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2013;33:67-75 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that Gal-3 is required for inflammatory and fibrotic responses to Aldo in vascular smooth muscle cells in vitro and in vivo, suggesting a key role for Gal-3 in vascular fibrosis. ..
- Dumic J, Dabelic S, Flogel M. Galectin-3: an open-ended story. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2006;1760:616-35 pubmed..The review attempts to summarize the existing information on structural, biochemical and intriguing functional properties of galectin-3. ..
- Salomonsson E, Carlsson M, Osla V, Hendus Altenburger R, Kahl Knutson B, Oberg C, et al. Mutational tuning of galectin-3 specificity and biological function. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:35079-91 pubmed publisher..Finally, the mutants have helped to define the differences in fine specificity shown by Xenopus, mouse, and human galectin-3 and, as such, the evidence for adaptive change during evolution...
- Pugliese G, Pricci F, Iacobini C, Leto G, Amadio L, Barsotti P, et al. Accelerated diabetic glomerulopathy in galectin-3/AGE receptor 3 knockout mice. FASEB J. 2001;15:2471-9 pubmed..These results show that the galectin-3-regulated AGE receptor pathway is operating in vivo and protects toward AGE-induced tissue injury in contrast to that through RAGE. ..
- Colnot C, Sidhu S, Balmain N, Poirier F. Uncoupling of chondrocyte death and vascular invasion in mouse galectin 3 null mutant bones. Dev Biol. 2001;229:203-14 pubmedb>Galectin 3 is a beta-galactoside binding protein which localizes to the cytoplasm of proliferative, mature, and hypertrophic chondrocytes in the growth plate cartilage of developing long bones...
- Menon S, Kang C, Beningo K. Galectin-3 secretion and tyrosine phosphorylation is dependent on the calpain small subunit, Calpain 4. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2011;410:91-6 pubmed publisher..We have found that Calpain 4 is essential for the tyrosine phosphorylation of galectin-3, and its ultimate secretion from the cell, and speculate that its secretion interferes with the production of traction forces. ..
- Nakanishi Y, Tsuneyama K, Nomoto K, Fujimoto M, Salunga T, Nakajima T, et al. Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis and hepatocellular carcinoma in galectin-3 knockout mice. Hepatol Res. 2008;38:1241-51 pubmed publisher..We previously reported that 6-month-old male galectin-3 knockout (gal3(-/-)) mice developed clinicopathological features similar to those of NAFLD in humans...
- Mackinnon A, Farnworth S, Hodkinson P, Henderson N, Atkinson K, Leffler H, et al. Regulation of alternative macrophage activation by galectin-3. J Immunol. 2008;180:2650-8 pubmed..Pharmacological modulation of galectin-3 function represents a novel therapeutic strategy in pathologies associated with alternatively activated macrophages. ..
- Breuilh L, Vanhoutte F, Fontaine J, van Stijn C, Tillie Leblond I, Capron M, et al. Galectin-3 modulates immune and inflammatory responses during helminthic infection: impact of galectin-3 deficiency on the functions of dendritic cells. Infect Immun. 2007;75:5148-57 pubmed
- Zeng Y, Danielson K, Albert T, Shapiro I, Risbud M. HIF-1 alpha is a regulator of galectin-3 expression in the intervertebral disc. J Bone Miner Res. 2007;22:1851-61 pubmed..In nucleus pulposus cells, suppression of gal-3 expression promoted FasL-mediated apoptosis. Together, these studies showed that gal-3 is a HIF-1-regulated lectin that plays an important role in nucleus pulposus cell survival. ..
- Nieminen J, St Pierre C, Bhaumik P, Poirier F, Sato S. Role of galectin-3 in leukocyte recruitment in a murine model of lung infection by Streptococcus pneumoniae. J Immunol. 2008;180:2466-73 pubmed..Thus, taken together, our data suggest that galectin-3 plays a role as a soluble adhesion molecule in the recruitment of neutrophils to lungs infected by S. pneumoniae, which induces beta(2)-integrin-independent migration. ..
- Villa Verde D, Silva Monteiro E, Jasiulionis M, Farias de Oliveira D, Brentani R, Savino W, et al. Galectin-3 modulates carbohydrate-dependent thymocyte interactions with the thymic microenvironment. Eur J Immunol. 2002;32:1434-44 pubmed..Our data indicate that intrathymically produced galectin-3 disrupts thymocyte/microenvironmental cell interactions, thus acting as a de-adhesion molecule. ..
- Iacobini C, Menini S, Oddi G, Ricci C, Amadio L, Pricci F, et al. Galectin-3/AGE-receptor 3 knockout mice show accelerated AGE-induced glomerular injury: evidence for a protective role of galectin-3 as an AGE receptor. FASEB J. 2004;18:1773-5 pubmed
- Darrow A, Shohet R, Maresh J. Transcriptional analysis of the endothelial response to diabetes reveals a role for galectin-3. Physiol Genomics. 2011;43:1144-52 pubmed publisher..Endothelial transcripts upregulated by HFD included galectin-3 (Lgals3), 5-lipoxygenase-activating protein, and chemokine ligands 8 and 9...
- Iacobini C, Oddi G, Menini S, Amadio L, Ricci C, Di Pippo C, et al. Development of age-dependent glomerular lesions in galectin-3/AGE-receptor-3 knockout mice. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2005;289:F611-21 pubmed
- Koch A, Poirier F, Jacob R, Delacour D. Galectin-3, a novel centrosome-associated protein, required for epithelial morphogenesis. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:219-31 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data establish galectin-3 as a key determinant in epithelial morphogenesis via its effect on centrosome biology. ..
- Partridge E, Le Roy C, Di Guglielmo G, Pawling J, Cheung P, Granovsky M, et al. Regulation of cytokine receptors by Golgi N-glycan processing and endocytosis. Science. 2004;306:120-4 pubmed..Thus, conditional regulation of N-glycan processing drives synchronous modification of cytokine receptors, which balances their surface retention against loss via endocytosis. ..
- Iacobini C, Menini S, Ricci C, Scipioni A, Sansoni V, Mazzitelli G, et al. Advanced lipoxidation end-products mediate lipid-induced glomerular injury: role of receptor-mediated mechanisms. J Pathol. 2009;218:360-9 pubmed publisher..Mice knocked out for galectin-3 (Gal3(-/-)), an AGE receptor previously shown to protect from AGE-induced renal injury, and the corresponding wild-type (..
- Jiang H, Al Rasebi Z, Mensah Brown E, Shahin A, Xu D, Goodyear C, et al. Galectin-3 deficiency reduces the severity of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. J Immunol. 2009;182:1167-73 pubmed
- Ahmad N, Gabius H, Andre S, Kaltner H, Sabesan S, Roy R, et al. Galectin-3 precipitates as a pentamer with synthetic multivalent carbohydrates and forms heterogeneous cross-linked complexes. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:10841-7 pubmed..This contrasts with galectin-1 and many plant lectins that form homogeneous, organized cross-linked complexes. The results are discussed in terms of the biological properties of galectin-3. ..
- Hsu D, Yang R, Pan Z, Yu L, Salomon D, Fung Leung W, et al. Targeted disruption of the galectin-3 gene results in attenuated peritoneal inflammatory responses. Am J Pathol. 2000;156:1073-83 pubmed..elucidating the physiological and pathological functions of this protein, we have generated galectin-3-deficient (gal3(-/-)) mice by targeted interruption of the galectin-3 gene...
- Nomoto K, Nishida T, Nakanishi Y, Fujimoto M, Takasaki I, Tabuchi Y, et al. Deficiency in galectin-3 promotes hepatic injury in CDAA diet-induced nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. ScientificWorldJournal. 2012;2012:959824 pubmed publisher..We investigated whether galectin-3 is involved in the development of NASH by comparing galectin-3 knockout (gal3(-/-)) mice and wild-type (gal3(+/+)) mice with choline-deficient L-amino-acid-defined (CDAA) diet-induced NAFLD/..
- Nomoto K, Tsuneyama K, Abdel Aziz H, Takahashi H, Murai Y, Cui Z, et al. Disrupted galectin-3 causes non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in male mice. J Pathol. 2006;210:469-77 pubmed..Thus, this study investigated the role of galectin-3 in NAFLD by comparing galectin-3 knockout (gal3(-/-)) mice and wild-type (gal3(+/+)) mice...
- Li Y, Komai Koma M, Gilchrist D, Hsu D, Liu F, Springall T, et al. Galectin-3 is a negative regulator of lipopolysaccharide-mediated inflammation. J Immunol. 2008;181:2781-9 pubmed..Thus, galectin-3 is a previously unrecognized, naturally occurring, negative regulator of LPS function, which protects the host from endotoxin shock but, conversely, favors Salmonella survival. ..
- Markowska A, Liu F, Panjwani N. Galectin-3 is an important mediator of VEGF- and bFGF-mediated angiogenic response. J Exp Med. 2010;207:1981-93 pubmed publisher..in vitro and that VEGF- and bFGF-mediated angiogenic response is reduced in galectin-3 knockdown cells and Gal3(-/-) animals...
- Pang J, Rhodes D, Pini M, Akasheh R, Castellanos K, Cabay R, et al. Increased adiposity, dysregulated glucose metabolism and systemic inflammation in Galectin-3 KO mice. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e57915 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, Gal-3 is an important modulator of glucose metabolism, adiposity and inflammation. ..
- Jia W, Kidoya H, Yamakawa D, Naito H, Takakura N. Galectin-3 accelerates M2 macrophage infiltration and angiogenesis in tumors. Am J Pathol. 2013;182:1821-31 pubmed publisher..Here, we analyzed the function of galectin-3 (Gal-3; gene LGALS3, alias Gal3) for macrophage chemotaxis using Gal3(-/-) mice as hosts, and a tumor allograft model...
- Bernardes E, Silva N, Ruas L, Mineo J, Loyola A, Hsu D, et al. Toxoplasma gondii infection reveals a novel regulatory role for galectin-3 in the interface of innate and adaptive immunity. Am J Pathol. 2006;168:1910-20 pubmedIn attempts to investigate the role of galectin-3 in innate immunity, we studied galectin-3-deficient (gal3-/-) mice with regard to their response to Toxoplasma gondii infection, which is characterized by inflammation in affected organs, ..
- Chen H, Fermin A, Vardhana S, Weng I, Lo K, Chang E, et al. Galectin-3 negatively regulates TCR-mediated CD4+ T-cell activation at the immunological synapse. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:14496-501 pubmed publisherWe have investigated the function of endogenous galectin-3 in T cells. Galectin-3-deficient (gal3(-/-)) CD4(+) T cells secreted more IFN-gamma and IL-4 than gal3(+/+)CD4(+) T cells after T-cell receptor (TCR) engagement...
- Yang E, Shim J, Woo H, Kim K, Kwon H. Aminopeptidase N/CD13 induces angiogenesis through interaction with a pro-angiogenic protein, galectin-3. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;363:336-41 pubmed..Finally, exogenous addition of galectin-3 into HUVECs induced angiogenesis in an APN-dependent manner, implying that APN is a crucial mediator of galectin-3-induced angiogenesis in endothelial cells. ..
- ARGUESO P, Guzman Aranguez A, Mantelli F, Cao Z, Ricciuto J, Panjwani N. Association of cell surface mucins with galectin-3 contributes to the ocular surface epithelial barrier. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:23037-45 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggest that galectin-3 plays a key role in maintaining mucosal barrier function through carbohydrate-dependent interactions with cell surface mucins. ..
- Henderson N, Mackinnon A, Farnworth S, Poirier F, Russo F, Iredale J, et al. Galectin-3 regulates myofibroblast activation and hepatic fibrosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:5060-5 pubmed..Finally, in vivo siRNA knockdown of Galectin-3 inhibited myofibroblast activation after hepatic injury and may therefore provide an alternative therapeutic approach to the prevention and treatment of liver fibrosis. ..
- Pejnovic N, Pantic J, Jovanovic I, Radosavljevic G, Milovanovic M, Nikolic I, et al. Galectin-3 deficiency accelerates high-fat diet-induced obesity and amplifies inflammation in adipose tissue and pancreatic islets. Diabetes. 2013;62:1932-44 pubmed publisher..Obese LGALS3(-/-) mice have increased body weight, amount of total visceral adipose tissue (VAT), fasting blood glucose and ..
- Rotshenker S, Reichert F, Gitik M, Haklai R, Elad Sfadia G, Kloog Y. Galectin-3/MAC-2, Ras and PI3K activate complement receptor-3 and scavenger receptor-AI/II mediated myelin phagocytosis in microglia. Glia. 2008;56:1607-13 pubmed publisher..An explanation may thus be offered for deficient phagocytosis by microglia that express CR3/MAC-1 and SRAI/II without Galectin-3/MAC-2 and efficient phagocytosis when CR3/MAC-1 and SRAI/II are co-expressed with Galectin-3/MAC-2...
- Sato S, Ouellet N, Pelletier I, Simard M, Rancourt A, Bergeron M. Role of galectin-3 as an adhesion molecule for neutrophil extravasation during streptococcal pneumonia. J Immunol. 2002;168:1813-22 pubmed..Thus, based on our results, we propose that galectin-3 plays a role in beta(2) integrin-independent neutrophil extravasation, which occurs during alveolar infection with Streptococcus pneumoniae. ..
- Saravanan C, Liu F, Gipson I, Panjwani N. Galectin-3 promotes lamellipodia formation in epithelial cells by interacting with complex N-glycans on alpha3beta1 integrin. J Cell Sci. 2009;122:3684-93 pubmed publisherRecent studies have shown that galectin-3 (Gal-3; also known as LGALS3), a beta-galactoside-binding lectin, promotes cell migration during re-epithelialization of corneal wounds...
- Fowlis D, Colnot C, Ripoche M, Poirier F. Galectin-3 is expressed in the notochord, developing bones, and skin of the postimplantation mouse embryo. Dev Dyn. 1995;203:241-51 pubmed..Finally, we find that galectin-3, which is identical to the macrophage marker Mac-2, is also expressed in embryonic macrophages. ..
- Oliveira F, Chammas R, Ricon L, Fermino M, Bernardes E, Hsu D, et al. Galectin-3 regulates peritoneal B1-cell differentiation into plasma cells. Glycobiology. 2009;19:1248-58 pubmed publisher..We have shown that in the absence of galectin-3, B1-cell differentiation into plasma cells is favored and the dynamic equilibrium of B1-cell populations in the peritoneum is maintained through a compensatory increase in B1b lymphocytes. ..
- Mensah Brown E, Al Rabesi Z, Shahin A, Al Shamsi M, Arsenijevic N, Hsu D, et al. Targeted disruption of the galectin-3 gene results in decreased susceptibility to multiple low dose streptozotocin-induced diabetes in mice. Clin Immunol. 2009;130:83-8 pubmed publisherb>Galectin 3 (Gal-3) is an antiapoptotic and a proinflammatory lectin. We hypothesized that the proinflammatory properties of Gal-3 may influence disease induction in the multiple low doses of streptozotocin model of diabetes...
- Henderson N, Mackinnon A, Farnworth S, Kipari T, Haslett C, Iredale J, et al. Galectin-3 expression and secretion links macrophages to the promotion of renal fibrosis. Am J Pathol. 2008;172:288-98 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we demonstrate for the first time that galectin-3 expression and secretion by macrophages is a major mechanism linking macrophages to the promotion of renal fibrosis. ..
- Hsu D, Chernyavsky A, Chen H, Yu L, Grando S, Liu F. Endogenous galectin-3 is localized in membrane lipid rafts and regulates migration of dendritic cells. J Invest Dermatol. 2009;129:573-83 pubmed publisher..First, galectin-3-deficient (gal3(-/-)) bone marrow-derived dendritic cells exhibited defective chemotaxis compared to gal3(+/+) cells...
- Brand C, Oliveira F, Takiya C, Palumbo A, Hsu D, Liu F, et al. The involvement of the spleen during chronic phase of Schistosoma mansoni infection in galectin-3-/- mice. Histol Histopathol. 2012;27:1109-20 pubmed publisher..Thus, we propose that galectin-3 plays a role in splenic architecture, controlling distinct events such as apoptosis, macrophage activity, B cell differentiation and plasmacytogenesis in the course of S. mansoni infection. ..
- Acosta Rodriguez E, Montes C, Motran C, Zuniga E, Liu F, Rabinovich G, et al. Galectin-3 mediates IL-4-induced survival and differentiation of B cells: functional cross-talk and implications during Trypanosoma cruzi infection. J Immunol. 2004;172:493-502 pubmed..cruzi infection. Thus, the present study provides evidence of a novel role for Gal-3 as an intracellular mediator of B cell survival and a checkpoint in IL-4-induced B cell commitment toward a memory phenotype. ..
- Ferraz L, Bernardes E, Oliveira A, Ruas L, Fermino M, Soares S, et al. Lack of galectin-3 alters the balance of innate immune cytokines and confers resistance to Rhodococcus equi infection. Eur J Immunol. 2008;38:2762-75 pubmed publisher..equi infection. The bacterial challenge of galectin-3-deficient mice (gal3-/-) and their wild-type counterpart (gal3+/+) revealed that the LD50 for the gal3(-/-) mice was about seven times ..