Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Lgals1
Description: lectin, galactose binding, soluble 1
Alias: AA410090, Gal-1, Galbp, L-14.5, L14, Lect14, galectin-1, galectin-1, 14 kDa lectin, S-Lac lectin 1, beta-galactoside binding protein, beta-galactoside-binding lectin L-14-I, galaptin, lactose-binding lectin 1, lectin galactoside-binding soluble 1
- Ito K, Ralph S. Inhibiting galectin-1 reduces murine lung metastasis with increased CD4(+) and CD8 (+) T cells and reduced cancer cell adherence. Clin Exp Metastasis. 2012;29:561-72 pubmed publisher..These findings establish possible mechanisms for the anti-metastatic effect of galectin-1 inhibition and suggest that targeting galectin-1 may represent a promising and effective anti-metastatic therapy. ..
- Banh A, Zhang J, Cao H, Bouley D, Kwok S, Kong C, et al. Tumor galectin-1 mediates tumor growth and metastasis through regulation of T-cell apoptosis. Cancer Res. 2011;71:4423-31 pubmed publisher..Our findings establish that tumor rather than host Gal-1 is responsible for mediating tumor progression through intratumoral immunomodulation, with broad implications in developing novel targeting strategies for Gal-1 in cancer. ..
- Kuo P, Hung J, Huang S, Chou S, Cheng D, Jong Y, et al. Lung cancer-derived galectin-1 mediates dendritic cell anergy through inhibitor of DNA binding 3/IL-10 signaling pathway. J Immunol. 2011;186:1521-30 pubmed publisher..These results thus suggest that the galectin-1/IL-10 functional axis may be crucial in lung cancer-mediated immune suppression, and that galectin-1 may serve as a target in the development of lung cancer immunotherapy. ..
- Thijssen V, Postel R, Brandwijk R, Dings R, Nesmelova I, Satijn S, et al. Galectin-1 is essential in tumor angiogenesis and is a target for antiangiogenesis therapy. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:15975-80 pubmed..Furthermore, tumor growth in gal-1-null mice no longer responds to antiangiogenesis treatment by anginex. Thus, gal-1 regulates tumor angiogenesis and is a target for angiostatic cancer therapy. ..
- Wu M, Hong H, Hong T, Chiang W, Jin Y, Chen Y. Targeting galectin-1 in carcinoma-associated fibroblasts inhibits oral squamous cell carcinoma metastasis by downregulating MCP-1/CCL2 expression. Clin Cancer Res. 2011;17:1306-16 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate that Gal-1 regulates CAF activation and indicate that targeting Gal-1 in CAFs inhibits OSCC metastasis by modulating MCP-1 expression. ..
- Ilarregui J, Croci D, Bianco G, Toscano M, Salatino M, Vermeulen M, et al. Tolerogenic signals delivered by dendritic cells to T cells through a galectin-1-driven immunoregulatory circuit involving interleukin 27 and interleukin 10. Nat Immunol. 2009;10:981-91 pubmed publisher..Our findings identify a tolerogenic circuit linking galectin-1 signaling, IL-27-producing DCs and IL-10-secreting T cells, which has broad therapeutic implications in immunopathology. ..
- Thijssen V, Barkan B, Shoji H, Aries I, Mathieu V, Deltour L, et al. Tumor cells secrete galectin-1 to enhance endothelial cell activity. Cancer Res. 2010;70:6216-24 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these data identify galectin-1 as a proangiogenic factor. These findings have direct implications for current efforts on galectin-1-targeted cancer therapies. ..
- Rajasagi N, Suryawanshi A, Sehrawat S, Reddy P, Mulik S, Hirashima M, et al. Galectin-1 reduces the severity of herpes simplex virus-induced ocular immunopathological lesions. J Immunol. 2012;188:4631-43 pubmed publisher..To our knowledge, our findings are the first to show that gal-1 treatment represents a useful approach to control lesion severity in a virally induced immunopathological disease. ..
- Wells V, Mallucci L. Identification of an autocrine negative growth factor: mouse beta-galactoside-binding protein is a cytostatic factor and cell growth regulator. Cell. 1991;64:91-7 pubmed..It exerts control in G0 and at G2, both as a regulator of cell replication and as a cytostatic factor. ..
- Poirier F, Timmons P, Chan C, Guenet J, Rigby P. Expression of the L14 lectin during mouse embryogenesis suggests multiple roles during pre- and post-implantation development. Development. 1992;115:143-55 pubmedA cDNA encoding L14, the lactose-binding, soluble lectin of relative molecular mass 14 x 10(3), has been isolated in a differential screen designed to identify genes that are regulated during the differentiation of murine embryonic stem ..
- Yang M, Chen Y, Wang S, Huang Y, Leu C, Yeh N, et al. Galectin-1 binds to influenza virus and ameliorates influenza virus pathogenesis. J Virol. 2011;85:10010-20 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results indicate that galectin-1 has anti-influenza virus activity by binding to viral surface and inhibiting its infectivity. Thus, galectin-1 may be further explored as a novel therapeutic agent for influenza. ..
- Case D, Irwin D, Ivester C, Harral J, Morris K, Imamura M, et al. Mice deficient in galectin-1 exhibit attenuated physiological responses to chronic hypoxia-induced pulmonary hypertension. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2007;292:L154-64 pubmed..These results suggest that Gal-1 influences the contractile response to hypoxia and subsequent remodeling during hypoxia-induced PH, which influences disease progression. ..
- Stowell S, Cho M, Feasley C, Arthur C, Song X, Colucci J, et al. Ligand reduces galectin-1 sensitivity to oxidative inactivation by enhancing dimer formation. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:4989-99 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results demonstrate that monomer-dimer equilibrium regulates Gal-1 sensitivity to oxidative inactivation and provides a mechanism whereby ligand partially protects Gal-1 from oxidation. ..
- Kajitani K, Nomaru H, Ifuku M, Yutsudo N, Dan Y, Miura T, et al. Galectin-1 promotes basal and kainate-induced proliferation of neural progenitors in the dentate gyrus of adult mouse hippocampus. Cell Death Differ. 2009;16:417-27 pubmed publisher..We therefore concluded that galectin-1 promotes basal and kainate-induced proliferation of neural progenitors in the hippocampus. ..
- Sakaguchi M, Shingo T, Shimazaki T, Okano H, Shiwa M, Ishibashi S, et al. A carbohydrate-binding protein, Galectin-1, promotes proliferation of adult neural stem cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:7112-7 pubmed..Based on results from intraventricular infusion experiments and phenotypic analyses of knockout mice, we demonstrate that Galectin-1 is an endogenous factor that promotes the proliferation of NSCs in the adult brain. ..
- Seropian I, Cerliani J, Toldo S, Van Tassell B, Ilarregui J, González G, et al. Galectin-1 controls cardiac inflammation and ventricular remodeling during acute myocardial infarction. Am J Pathol. 2013;182:29-40 pubmed publisher..Compared with their wild-type counterpart, Gal-1-deficient (Lgals1(-/-)) mice showed enhanced cardiac inflammation, characterized by increased numbers of macrophages, natural killer ..
- Georgiadis V, Stewart H, Pollard H, Tavsanoglu Y, Prasad R, Horwood J, et al. Lack of galectin-1 results in defects in myoblast fusion and muscle regeneration. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:1014-24 pubmed..These results, therefore, show a definitive role for galectin-1 in fusion of myoblasts both in vitro, in vivo, and in regeneration after recovery from induced injury. ..
- Miró Julià C, Roselló S, Martinez V, Fink D, Escoda Ferran C, Padilla O, et al. Molecular and functional characterization of mouse S5D-SRCRB: a new group B member of the scavenger receptor cysteine-rich superfamily. J Immunol. 2011;186:2344-54 pubmed publisher..These abilities suggest that S5D-SRCRB might play a role in the innate defense and homeostasis of certain specialized epithelial surfaces. ..
- Mourcin F, Breton C, Tellier J, Narang P, Chasson L, Jorquera A, et al. Galectin-1-expressing stromal cells constitute a specific niche for pre-BII cell development in mouse bone marrow. Blood. 2011;117:6552-61 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate the existence of a pre-BII specific stromal cell niche and indicate that early B cells move from IL-7(+) to GAL1(+) supportive BM niches during their development. ..
- Starossom S, Mascanfroni I, Imitola J, Cao L, Raddassi K, Hernandez S, et al. Galectin-1 deactivates classically activated microglia and protects from inflammation-induced neurodegeneration. Immunity. 2012;37:249-63 pubmed publisher..Thus, Gal1-glycan interactions are essential in tempering microglial activation, brain inflammation, and neurodegeneration, with critical therapeutic implications for MS. ..
- Croci D, Cerliani J, Dalotto Moreno T, Méndez Huergo S, Mascanfroni I, Dergan Dylon S, et al. Glycosylation-dependent lectin-receptor interactions preserve angiogenesis in anti-VEGF refractory tumors. Cell. 2014;156:744-58 pubmed publisher..Disruption of the Gal1-N-glycan axis promoted vascular remodeling, immune cell influx and tumor growth inhibition. Thus, targeting glycosylation-dependent lectin-receptor interactions may increase the efficacy of anti-VEGF treatment. ..
- Mari E, Rasouli J, Ciric B, Moore J, Conejo Garcia J, Rajasagi N, et al. Galectin-1 is essential for the induction of MOG35-55 -based intravenous tolerance in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. Eur J Immunol. 2016;46:1783-96 pubmed publisher..v. tolerance, we administered MOG35-55 -i.v. to wild-type (WT) and galectin-1 deficient (Lgals1(-/-) ) mice with ongoing EAE. MOG35-55 suppressed disease in the WT, but not in the Lgals1(-/-) mice...
- Hernandez J, Nguyen J, He J, Wang W, Ardman B, Green J, et al. Galectin-1 binds different CD43 glycoforms to cluster CD43 and regulate T cell death. J Immunol. 2006;177:5328-36 pubmed..In addition, these studies demonstrate that different T cell glycoproteins on the same cell have distinct requirements for glycan modifications that allow recognition and cross-linking by galectin-1. ..
- Martínez Bosch N, Fernández Barrena M, Moreno M, Ortiz Zapater E, Munné Collado J, Iglesias M, et al. Galectin-1 drives pancreatic carcinogenesis through stroma remodeling and Hedgehog signaling activation. Cancer Res. 2014;74:3512-24 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings establish a function for Gal1 in tumor-stroma crosstalk in PDAC and provide a preclinical rationale for Gal1 targeting as a microenvironment-based therapeutic strategy. ..
- Kajitani K, Kobayakawa Y, Nomaru H, Kadoya T, Horie H, Nakabeppu Y. Characterization of galectin-1-positive cells in the mouse hippocampus. Neuroreport. 2014;25:171-6 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that gal-1 is expressed in interneurons that also express ?-tubulin III and gal-1 may be a novel marker for interneuron subpopulations in the hippocampus. ..
- Lasserre C, Colnot C, Brechot C, Poirier F. HIP/PAP gene, encoding a C-type lectin overexpressed in primary liver cancer, is expressed in nervous system as well as in intestine and pancreas of the postimplantation mouse embryo. Am J Pathol. 1999;154:1601-10 pubmed..5 but not in embryonic liver. This highly restricted expression pattern suggests that HIP/PAP might participate in neuronal as well as intestinal and pancreatic cell development. ..
- Hashmi S, Al Salam S. Galectin-1: a biomarker of surgical stress in murine model of cardiac surgery. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2015;8:7157-64 pubmed..000), 60 minutes (P<0.009), 4 hour (P<0.043), and 24 hour (P<0.000) time points of surgically operated groups compared to non-operated control group. In conclusion, GAL-1 is valuable biomarker of surgical stress. ..
- Cooper D, Barondes S. Evidence for export of a muscle lectin from cytosol to extracellular matrix and for a novel secretory mechanism. J Cell Biol. 1990;110:1681-91 pubmed..This suggests a possible mechanism for lectin export from the cytosol to the extracellular matrix. ..
- Perone M, Bertera S, Tawadrous Z, Shufesky W, Piganelli J, Baum L, et al. Dendritic cells expressing transgenic galectin-1 delay onset of autoimmune diabetes in mice. J Immunol. 2006;177:5278-89 pubmed
- Kobayakawa Y, Sakumi K, Kajitani K, Kadoya T, Horie H, Kira J, et al. Galectin-1 deficiency improves axonal swelling of motor neurones in SOD1(G93A) transgenic mice. Neuropathol Appl Neurobiol. 2015;41:227-44 pubmed publisher..The effects of galectin-1 deficiency were evaluated by cross-breeding SOD1(G93A) mice with galectin-1 null (Lgals1(-/-) ) mice...
- Davicino R, Méndez Huergo S, Eliçabe R, Stupirski J, Autenrieth I, Di Genaro M, et al. Galectin-1-Driven Tolerogenic Programs Aggravate Yersinia enterocolitica Infection by Repressing Antibacterial Immunity. J Immunol. 2017;199:1382-1392 pubmed publisher..enterocolitica infection. Thus, targeting Gal-1-glycan interactions may contribute to reinforce antibacterial responses by reprogramming innate and adaptive immune mechanisms. ..
- Toledo K, Fermino M, Andrade C, Riul T, Alves R, Muller V, et al. Galectin-1 exerts inhibitory effects during DENV-1 infection. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e112474 pubmed publisher..These results provide novel insights into the functions of Gal-1 in resistance to DENV infection and suggest that Gal-1 should be explored as a potential antiviral compound. ..
- Bermejo D, Jackson S, Gorosito Serrán M, Acosta Rodriguez E, Amezcua Vesely M, Sather B, et al. Trypanosoma cruzi trans-sialidase initiates a program independent of the transcription factors ROR?t and Ahr that leads to IL-17 production by activated B cells. Nat Immunol. 2013;14:514-22 pubmed publisher..Our combined data suggest that the generation of IL-17(+) B cells may be a previously unappreciated feature of innate immune responses required for pathogen control or IL-17-mediated autoimmunity...
- Moore G, Brown S, Winterhalter A, Lust M, Salvaris E, Selan C, et al. Glycosylation changes in hFUT1 transgenic mice increase TCR signaling and apoptosis resulting in thymocyte maturation arrest. Mol Immunol. 2008;45:2401-10 pubmed..Our results therefore demonstrate that aberrant expression of a single glycosyltransferase can profoundly affect thymopoiesis, although the relative involvement of CD45-dependent and -independent mechanisms is yet to be determined. ..
- Brennan J, Lu C, Norris D, Rodriguez T, Beddington R, Robertson E. Nodal signalling in the epiblast patterns the early mouse embryo. Nature. 2001;411:965-9 pubmed..Our experiments show that proximal-distal and subsequent anterior-posterior polarity of the pregastrulation embryo result from reciprocal cell-cell interactions between the epiblast and the two extra-embryonic tissues. ..
- Gauthier L, Rossi B, Roux F, Termine E, Schiff C. Galectin-1 is a stromal cell ligand of the pre-B cell receptor (BCR) implicated in synapse formation between pre-B and stromal cells and in pre-BCR triggering. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:13014-9 pubmed..This immune developmental synapse is accompanied by the initiation of intracellular tyrosine kinase activity and signal transduction from the pre-BCR. ..
- Cao Z, Said N, Amin S, Wu H, Bruce A, Garate M, et al. Galectins-3 and -7, but not galectin-1, play a role in re-epithelialization of wounds. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:42299-305 pubmed..These findings have broad implications for developing novel therapeutic strategies for treating nonhealing wounds. ..
- Gitt M, Barondes S. Evidence that a human soluble beta-galactoside-binding lectin is encoded by a family of genes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1986;83:7603-7 pubmed..However, the sequence differences between the two hepatoma clones as well as among each clone and the lung peptides suggest that at least three variants of the gene encoding this lectin are expressed in human tissue. ..
- Foster J, Goss K, George C, Bangsund P, Snyder J. Galectin-1 in secondary alveolar septae of neonatal mouse lung. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2006;291:L1142-9 pubmed..The increased expression of galectin-1 at the site and time of ongoing alveolarization in the newborn mouse is suggestive that galectin-1 may play an important role in this critical aspect of lung development. ..
- Lu Y, Lotan R. Transcriptional regulation by butyrate of mouse galectin-1 gene in embryonal carcinoma cells. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1999;1444:85-91 pubmed..These results suggest that the 5' proximal Sp1 site at -57 is crucial for the butyrate-induced expression of the gal-1, and the direct binding of SP1 to this Sp1 site may be involved in this induction...
- DeÃ¡k M, Hornung Ã, NovÃ¡k J, Demydenko D, SzabÃ³ E, Czibula Ã, et al. Novel role for galectin-1 in T-cells under physiological and pathological conditions. Immunobiology. 2015;220:483-9 pubmed publisher..These results suggested a novel role of inGal-1 in T-cells as a regulator of T-cell response to exGal-1, and its likely contribution to the mechanism in T-cell apoptosis deficiency in lupus. ..
- Shoji H, Deltour L, Nakamura T, Tajbakhsh S, Poirier F. Expression pattern and role of Galectin1 during early mouse myogenesis. Dev Growth Differ. 2009;51:607-15 pubmed publisher..However, early myogenesis does not seem affected in Galectin1 null mutant embryos indicating that, unlike in the adult, Galectin1 does not play a role in muscle fate acquisition during development. ..
- Nita Lazar M, Banerjee A, Feng C, Amin M, Frieman M, Chen W, et al. Desialylation of airway epithelial cells during influenza virus infection enhances pneumococcal adhesion via galectin binding. Mol Immunol. 2015;65:1-16 pubmed publisher..revealed that the murine lung expresses a diverse galectin repertoire, from which selected galectins, including galectin 1 (Gal1) and galectin 3 (Gal3), are released to the bronchoalveolar space...
- Anderson D, Cannavino J, Li H, Anderson K, Nelson B, McAnally J, et al. Severe muscle wasting and denervation in mice lacking the RNA-binding protein ZFP106. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:E4494-503 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal a central role for Zfp106 in the maintenance of nerve-muscle signaling, and highlight the involvement of aberrant RNA processing in neuromuscular disease pathogenesis. ..
- Moreau A, Noble A, Ratnasothy K, Chai J, Deltour L, Cuturi M, et al. Absence of Galectin-1 accelerates CD8? T cell-mediated graft rejection. Eur J Immunol. 2012;42:2881-8 pubmed publisher..This study suggests that endogenous expression of Gal-1 contributes to graft survival. The results obtained from the use of mice deficient in Gal-1 also confirm a key role for CD8? T cells in graft rejection. ..
- Endharti A, Zhou Y, Nakashima I, Suzuki H. Galectin-1 supports survival of naive T cells without promoting cell proliferation. Eur J Immunol. 2005;35:86-97 pubmed..Our study demonstrates the novel role of galectin-1 as a soluble factor that functions to maintain naive T cell survival without inducing cell proliferation. ..
- Yazawa E, Geddes Sweeney J, Cedeno Laurent F, Walley K, Barthel S, Opperman M, et al. Melanoma Cell Galectin-1 Ligands Functionally Correlate with Malignant Potential. J Invest Dermatol. 2015;135:1849-1862 pubmed publisher..These findings provide a refined perspective on Gal-1/melanoma cell Gal-1 ligand interactions as contributors to melanoma malignancy. ..
- Ge X, Ha S, Greenberg Y, Rao A, Bastan I, Blidner A, et al. Regulation of eosinophilia and allergic airway inflammation by the glycan-binding protein galectin-1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:E4837-46 pubmed publisher..This study suggests that Gal-1 can limit eosinophil recruitment to allergic airways and suppresses airway inflammation by inhibiting cell migration and promoting eosinophil apoptosis. ..
- Walcher T, Xie Q, Sun J, Irmler M, Beckers J, Oztürk T, et al. Functional dissection of the paired domain of Pax6 reveals molecular mechanisms of coordinating neurogenesis and proliferation. Development. 2013;140:1123-36 pubmed publisher..Thus, Pax6 achieves its key roles in the developing forebrain by utilizing particular subdomains to coordinate patterning, neurogenesis and proliferation simultaneously. ..
- Thiemann S, Man J, Chang M, Lee B, Baum L. Galectin-1 regulates tissue exit of specific dendritic cell populations. J Biol Chem. 2015;290:22662-77 pubmed publisher..These findings define a novel role for galectin-1 in inhibiting tissue emigration of immunogenic, but not tolerogenic, dendritic cells, providing an additional mechanism by which galectin-1 can dampen immune responses. ..
- Dias Baruffi M, Zhu H, Cho M, Karmakar S, McEver R, Cummings R. Dimeric galectin-1 induces surface exposure of phosphatidylserine and phagocytic recognition of leukocytes without inducing apoptosis. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:41282-93 pubmed..These dGal-1-induced effects are distinguishable from apoptosis, but like apoptotic agents, prepare cells for phagocytic removal. Such effects of dGal-1 may contribute to leukocyte homeostasis. ..
- Cedeno Laurent F, Opperman M, Barthel S, Hays D, Schatton T, Zhan Q, et al. Metabolic inhibition of galectin-1-binding carbohydrates accentuates antitumor immunity. J Invest Dermatol. 2012;132:410-20 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data suggest that metabolic lowering of Gal-1-binding N-acetyllactosamines may attenuate tumor growth by boosting antitumor immune cell levels, representing a promising approach for cancer immunotherapy. ..
- Gaudet A, Leung M, Poirier F, Kadoya T, Horie H, Ramer M. A role for galectin-1 in the immune response to peripheral nerve injury. Exp Neurol. 2009;220:320-7 pubmed publisher..We used immunohistochemistry to visualize macrophages (F4/80) in wild-type (Lgals1(+/+)) and knockout (Lgals1(-/-)) mouse sciatic nerves following injury and/or manipulation of Gal1 levels...
- Benatar A, GarcÃa G, Bua J, Cerliani J, Postan M, Tasso L, et al. Galectin-1 Prevents Infection and Damage Induced by Trypanosoma cruzi on Cardiac Cells. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2015;9:e0004148 pubmed publisher..Consistent with these data, Gal-1 deficient (Lgals1-/-) mice showed increased parasitemia, reduced signs of inflammation in heart and skeletal muscle tissues, and ..
- Sirko S, Irmler M, GascÃ³n S, Bek S, Schneider S, Dimou L, et al. Astrocyte reactivity after brain injury-: The role of galectins 1 and 3. Glia. 2015;63:2340-61 pubmed publisher..This phenotype could be recapitulated in vitro and was fully rescued by addition of Galectin 3, but not of Galectin 1. Thus, Galectins 1 and 3 play key roles in regulating the proliferative and NSC potential of a subset of ..
- Pineda D, Ampurdanés C, Medina M, Serratosa J, Tusell J, Saura J, et al. Tissue plasminogen activator induces microglial inflammation via a noncatalytic molecular mechanism involving activation of mitogen-activated protein kinases and Akt signaling pathways and AnnexinA2 and Galectin-1 receptors. Glia. 2012;60:526-40 pubmed publisher
- Rutkowski M, Stephen T, Svoronos N, Allegrezza M, Tesone A, Perales Puchalt A, et al. Microbially driven TLR5-dependent signaling governs distal malignant progression through tumor-promoting inflammation. Cancer Cell. 2015;27:27-40 pubmed publisher..Therefore, inflammation, antitumor immunity, and the clinical outcome of cancer patients are influenced by a common TLR5 polymorphism. ..
- Jouault T, El Abed El Behi M, Martinez Esparza M, Breuilh L, Trinel P, Chamaillard M, et al. Specific recognition of Candida albicans by macrophages requires galectin-3 to discriminate Saccharomyces cerevisiae and needs association with TLR2 for signaling. J Immunol. 2006;177:4679-87 pubmed..albicans and S. cerevisiae through a mechanism involving TLR2 and galectin-3, which probably associate for binding of ligands expressing beta-1,2 mannosides specific to the C. albicans cell wall surface. ..
- Hirota Y, Burnum K, Acar N, Rabinovich G, Daikoku T, Dey S. Galectin-1 markedly reduces the incidence of resorptions in mice missing immunophilin FKBP52. Endocrinology. 2012;153:2486-93 pubmed publisher..During early gestation, Lgals1, which encodes Gal1, was distinctly expressed in stromal and decidual cells...
- Bi S, Hong P, Lee B, Baum L. Galectin-9 binding to cell surface protein disulfide isomerase regulates the redox environment to enhance T-cell migration and HIV entry. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:10650-5 pubmed publisher..In addition, galectin-9 binding to PDI on T cells potentiates infection with HIV. We identify a mechanism for regulating cell surface redox status via a galectin-glycoprotein lattice, to regulate distinct T-cell functions. ..
- Puche A, Poirier F, Hair M, Bartlett P, Key B. Role of galectin-1 in the developing mouse olfactory system. Dev Biol. 1996;179:274-87 pubmed..This is the first demonstration that a lectin has neurite outgrowth-promoting activity and plays a role in neuronal pathfinding in the mammalian nervous system. ..
- Iqbal A, Cooper D, Vugler A, Gittens B, Moore A, Perretti M. Endogenous galectin-1 exerts tonic inhibition on experimental arthritis. J Immunol. 2013;191:171-7 pubmed publisher..We have also highlighted the importance of endogenous Gal-1 in regulating T cell reactivity during experimental arthritis. ..
- McGraw J, Gaudet A, Oschipok L, Steeves J, Poirier F, Tetzlaff W, et al. Altered primary afferent anatomy and reduced thermal sensitivity in mice lacking galectin-1. Pain. 2005;114:7-18 pubmed..We conclude that Gal1 is involved in nociceptive neuronal development and that the lack of this protein results in anatomical and functional deficits in adulthood. ..
- Guo Y, Shi Q, Yang X, Li J, Ma Y, Xiao K, et al. Increases of Galectin-1 and its S-nitrosylated form in the Brain Tissues of Scrapie-Infected Rodent Models and Human Prion Diseases. Mol Neurobiol. 2017;54:3707-3716 pubmed publisher..Our finding here demonstrates markedly increased brain Gal-1 and S-nitrosylated Gal-1 both in scrapie-infected rodents and human prion diseases. ..
- Clark A, Weston M, Foster M. Lack of galectin-1 or galectin-3 alters B cell deletion and anergy in an autoantibody transgene model. Glycobiology. 2013;23:893-903 pubmed publisher..These findings add to the growing body of evidence indicating a role for the various galectin family members, and for galectins 1 and 3 in particular, in the regulation of autoimmunity. ..
- Saint Lu N, Oortwijn B, Pegon J, Odouard S, Christophe O, de Groot P, et al. Identification of galectin-1 and galectin-3 as novel partners for von Willebrand factor. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2012;32:894-901 pubmed publisher..We have identified galectin-1 and galectin-3 as novel partners for VWF, and these proteins may modulate VWF-mediated thrombus formation. ..
- Goldring K, Jones G, Thiagarajah R, Watt D. The effect of galectin-1 on the differentiation of fibroblasts and myoblasts in vitro. J Cell Sci. 2002;115:355-66 pubmed..Galectin-1 does not cause the myogenic conversion of murine muscle-derived fibroblasts. ..
- Pasquini J, Barrantes F, QuintÃ¡ H. Normal development of spinal axons in early embryo stages and posterior locomotor function is independent of GAL-1. J Comp Neurol. 2017;525:2861-2875 pubmed publisher..Supporting our previous observations, the present study further validates the use of lgals-1-/- mice to develop spinal cord- or traumatic brain injury models for the evaluation of the regenerative action of Gal-1. ..
- Motran C, Molinder K, Liu S, Poirier F, Miceli M. Galectin-1 functions as a Th2 cytokine that selectively induces Th1 apoptosis and promotes Th2 function. Eur J Immunol. 2008;38:3015-27 pubmed publisher..These studies identify galectin-1 as a cross-regulatory cytokine that selectively antagonizes Th1 survival, while promoting TCR-induced Th2 cytokine production. ..
- Lykken J, Horikawa M, Minard Colin V, Kamata M, Miyagaki T, Poe J, et al. Galectin-1 drives lymphoma CD20 immunotherapy resistance: validation of a preclinical system to identify resistance mechanisms. Blood. 2016;127:1886-95 pubmed publisher..This study therefore established a powerful preclinical model system that permits the comprehensive identification of the dynamic lymphoma molecular network that drives resistance to immunotherapy. ..
- Tenne Brown J, Puche A, Key B. Expression of galectin-1 in the mouse olfactory system. Int J Dev Biol. 1998;42:791-9 pubmed..Thus, the coordinate expression of galectin-1 and laminin in the embryonic nerve fibre layer suggests that these molecules support the adhesion and fasciculation of axons en route to their glomerular targets. ..
- Wells V, Mallucci L. Molecular expression of the negative growth factor murine beta-galactoside binding protein (mGBP). Biochim Biophys Acta. 1992;1121:239-44 pubmed..This confers greater efficiency to the inhibitor and may favour a paracrine role. The two monomeric forms may oxidise into tetramers which retain biological activity, but lack ability to link to specific saccharide residues. ..
- Cha S, Ortega B, Kurosu H, Rosenblatt K, Kuro O M, Huang C. Removal of sialic acid involving Klotho causes cell-surface retention of TRPV5 channel via binding to galectin-1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:9805-10 pubmed publisher..This action of Klotho represents a novel mechanism for regulation of the activity of cell-surface glycoproteins and likely contributes to maintenance of calcium balance by Klotho. ..
- Nio Kobayashi J, Iwanaga T. Differential cellular localization of galectin-1 and galectin-3 in the regressing corpus luteum of mice and their possible contribution to luteal cell elimination. J Histochem Cytochem. 2010;58:741-9 pubmed publisher..The stage- and cell-specific expression of galectin in CL suggests its differential contribution to luteolysis, and this expression may be mediated by major regulatory molecules of CL function, prolactin and/or prostaglandin F2alpha. ..
- Vasen G, Battistone M, Croci D, Brukman N, Weigel MuÃ±oz M, Stupirski J, et al. The galectin-1-glycan axis controls sperm fertilizing capacity by regulating sperm motility and membrane hyperpolarization. FASEB J. 2015;29:4189-200 pubmed publisher..Gal-1-deficient (Lgals1(-/-)) mice revealed the essential contribution of this lectin for full sperm fertilizing ability both in vitro and ..
- Bhat R, Belardi B, Mori H, Kuo P, Tam A, Hines W, et al. Nuclear repartitioning of galectin-1 by an extracellular glycan switch regulates mammary morphogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:E4820-7 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that differential glycosylation at the level of tissue microanatomy regulates the nuclear function of Gal-1 in the context of mammary gland morphogenesis and in cancer progression. ..
- Earl L, Bi S, Baum L. N- and O-glycans modulate galectin-1 binding, CD45 signaling, and T cell death. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:2232-44 pubmed publisher..Thus, N- and O-glycans modulate galectin-1 T cell death by distinct mechanisms, and different glycosylation events can render thymocytes susceptible or resistant to galectin-1. ..