Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Lfng
Description: LFNG O-fucosylpeptide 3-beta-N-acetylglucosaminyltransferase
Alias: AW061165, beta-1,3-N-acetylglucosaminyltransferase lunatic fringe, O-fucosylpeptide 3-beta-N-acetylglucosaminyltransferase, lunatic fringe
- Dunty W, Biris K, Chalamalasetty R, Taketo M, Lewandoski M, Yamaguchi T. Wnt3a/beta-catenin signaling controls posterior body development by coordinating mesoderm formation and segmentation. Development. 2008;135:85-94 pubmed..Thus, Wnt3a regulates somitogenesis by activating a network of interacting target genes that promote mesodermal fates, activate the segmentation clock, and position boundary determination genes in the anterior PSM. ..
- Raya A, Kawakami Y, Rodriguez Esteban C, Buscher D, Koth C, Itoh T, et al. Notch activity induces Nodal expression and mediates the establishment of left-right asymmetry in vertebrate embryos. Genes Dev. 2003;17:1213-8 pubmed..Our findings provide evidence for a mechanism involving Notch activity that translates an initial symmetry-breaking event into asymmetric gene expression. ..
- Aulehla A, Wiegraebe W, Baubet V, Wahl M, Deng C, Taketo M, et al. A beta-catenin gradient links the clock and wavefront systems in mouse embryo segmentation. Nat Cell Biol. 2008;10:186-93 pubmed..This gradient of nuclear beta-catenin defines the size of the oscillatory field and controls key aspects of PSM maturation and segment formation, emphasizing the central role of Wnt signalling in this process. ..
- Wright D, Ferjentsik Z, Chong S, Qiu X, Yun Jin J, Malapert P, et al. Cyclic Nrarp mRNA expression is regulated by the somitic oscillator but Nrarp protein levels do not oscillate. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:3043-3055 pubmed publisher..Despite oscillating mRNA levels, Nrarp protein does not oscillate in the PSM. Finally, neither gain nor loss of Nrarp function interferes with the normal expression of Notch-related cyclic genes. ..
- Morsli H, Choo D, Ryan A, Johnson R, Wu D. Development of the mouse inner ear and origin of its sensory organs. J Neurosci. 1998;18:3327-35 pubmed..Second, we used bone morphogenetic protein 4 (BMP4) and lunatic fringe (Fng) as molecular markers to identify the origin of the sensory structures...
- Galceran J, Sustmann C, Hsu S, Folberth S, Grosschedl R. LEF1-mediated regulation of Delta-like1 links Wnt and Notch signaling in somitogenesis. Genes Dev. 2004;18:2718-23 pubmed..Finally, the induced expression of LEF1-beta-catenin activates the expression of endogenous Dll1 in fibroblastic cells. Thus, Wnt signaling can affect the Notch pathway by a LEF1-mediated regulation of Dll1. ..
- Alvarez Y, Alonso M, Vendrell V, Zelarayan L, Chamero P, Theil T, et al. Requirements for FGF3 and FGF10 during inner ear formation. Development. 2003;130:6329-38 pubmed..We thus created double mutant mice for FGF3 and FGF10, which form severely reduced otic vesicles, suggesting redundant roles of these FGFs, acting in combination as neural signals for otic vesicle formation. ..
- Moran J, Johnston S, Rauskolb C, Bhalerao J, Bowcock A, Vogt T. Genomic structure, mapping, and expression analysis of the mammalian Lunatic, Manic, and Radical fringe genes. Mamm Genome. 1999;10:535-41 pubmedThe three members of the mammalian fringe gene family, Manic fringe (Mfng), Radical fringe (Rfng), and Lunatic fringe (Lfng), were identified on the basis of their similarity to Drosophila fringe (fng) and their participation in the ..
- Phng L, Potente M, Leslie J, Babbage J, Nyqvist D, Lobov I, et al. Nrarp coordinates endothelial Notch and Wnt signaling to control vessel density in angiogenesis. Dev Cell. 2009;16:70-82 pubmed publisher..In vivo, loss of Nrarp, Lef1, or endothelial Ctnnb1 causes vessel regression. We suggest that the balance between Notch and Wnt signaling determines whether to make or break new vessel connections. ..
- Barsi J, Rajendra R, Wu J, Artzt K. Mind bomb1 is a ubiquitin ligase essential for mouse embryonic development and Notch signaling. Mech Dev. 2005;122:1106-17 pubmed..These results have direct implications for manipulating the differentiation of neuronal stem cells and provide a putative target for the modulation of specific tumors. ..
- Hayashi S, Shimoda T, Nakajima M, Tsukada Y, Sakumura Y, Dale J, et al. Sprouty4, an FGF inhibitor, displays cyclic gene expression under the control of the notch segmentation clock in the mouse PSM. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e5603 pubmed publisher..cycles in the mouse PSM in synchrony with other oscillating genes from the Notch signaling pathway, such as lunatic fringe. Sprouty4 does not oscillate in Hes7-null mutant mouse embryos, and Hes7 can inhibit FGF-induced ..
- Hoyle N, Ish Horowicz D. Transcript processing and export kinetics are rate-limiting steps in expressing vertebrate segmentation clock genes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:E4316-24 pubmed publisher..Here, we measure expression delays for three transcripts [Lunatic fringe, Hes7/her1, and Notch-regulated-ankyrin-repeat-protein (Nrarp)], that cycle during segmentation in the ..
- Nitanda Y, Matsui T, Matta T, Higami A, Kohno K, Nakahata Y, et al. 3'-UTR-dependent regulation of mRNA turnover is critical for differential distribution patterns of cyclic gene mRNAs. FEBS J. 2014;281:146-56 pubmed publisher..in the development of vertebrates, is instructed by cyclic expression of several genes, including Hes7 and Lunatic fringe (Lfng). Transcriptional regulation accounts for the cyclic expression...
- Forsberg H, Crozet F, Brown N. Waves of mouse Lunatic fringe expression, in four-hour cycles at two-hour intervals, precede somite boundary formation. Curr Biol. 1998;8:1027-30 pubmed..This is compatible with an underlying oscillating molecular clock. We have shown here that Lunatic fringe (L-fng) expression is indicative of it being one of the implementing outputs of this clock...
- Shi S, Stanley P. Protein O-fucosyltransferase 1 is an essential component of Notch signaling pathways. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:5234-9 pubmed..Protein O-fucosyltransferase 1 is therefore an essential core member of Notch signaling pathways in mammals. ..
- Evrard Y, Lun Y, Aulehla A, Gan L, Johnson R. lunatic fringe is an essential mediator of somite segmentation and patterning. Nature. 1998;394:377-81 pubmedThe gene lunatic fringe encodes a secreted factor with significant sequence similarity to the Drosophila gene fringe...
- Niwa Y, Masamizu Y, Liu T, Nakayama R, Deng C, Kageyama R. The initiation and propagation of Hes7 oscillation are cooperatively regulated by Fgf and notch signaling in the somite segmentation clock. Dev Cell. 2007;13:298-304 pubmed..by the segmentation clock, where the oscillator Hes7 regulates cyclic expression of the Notch modulator Lunatic fringe. Here, we show that Hes7 also regulates cyclic expression of the Fgf signaling inhibitor Dusp4 and links Notch ..
- Chen J, Kang L, Zhang N. Negative feedback loop formed by Lunatic fringe and Hes7 controls their oscillatory expression during somitogenesis. Genesis. 2005;43:196-204 pubmedRecent studies show that the cyclic expression of Lfng in the presomitic mesoderm (PSM) is controlled at the transcription level by Notch signal through the CBF1 binding site for activation and periodic repression on the Lfng promoter...
- Ferjentsik Z, Hayashi S, Dale J, Bessho Y, Herreman A, De Strooper B, et al. Notch is a critical component of the mouse somitogenesis oscillator and is essential for the formation of the somites. PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000662 pubmed publisher..clock by analysing embryos carrying a mutation in different components of the Notch pathway, such as Lunatic fringe (Lfng), Hes7, Rbpj, and presenilin1/presenilin2 (Psen1/Psen2), and by pharmacological blocking of the Notch ..
- Aulehla A, Wehrle C, Brand Saberi B, Kemler R, Gossler A, Kanzler B, et al. Wnt3a plays a major role in the segmentation clock controlling somitogenesis. Dev Cell. 2003;4:395-406 pubmed..and shows oscillating expression in the PSM, even when Notch signaling is impaired, alternating with Lfng expression. Moreover, Wnt3a is required for oscillating Notch signaling activity in the PSM...
- Vermot J, Gallego Llamas J, Fraulob V, Niederreither K, Chambon P, Dolle P. Retinoic acid controls the bilateral symmetry of somite formation in the mouse embryo. Science. 2005;308:563-6 pubmed..These data implicate retinoic acid as an endogenous signal that maintains the bilateral synchrony of mesoderm segmentation, and therefore controls bilateral symmetry, in vertebrate embryos. ..
- Nakaya M, Biris K, Tsukiyama T, Jaime S, Rawls J, Yamaguchi T. Wnt3a links left-right determination with segmentation and anteroposterior axis elongation. Development. 2005;132:5425-36 pubmed..Thus, Wnt3a links the segmentation clock and AP axis elongation with key left-determining events, suggesting that Wnt3a is an integral component of the trunk organizer. ..
- Shifley E, Vanhorn K, Perez Balaguer A, Franklin J, Weinstein M, Cole S. Oscillatory lunatic fringe activity is crucial for segmentation of the anterior but not posterior skeleton. Development. 2008;135:899-908 pubmed publisher..b>Lunatic fringe (Lfng) encodes a glycosyltransferase that modulates Notch signaling, and its expression patterns suggest roles ..
- Johnston S, Rauskolb C, Wilson R, Prabhakaran B, Irvine K, Vogt T. A family of mammalian Fringe genes implicated in boundary determination and the Notch pathway. Development. 1997;124:2245-54 pubmed..Three mammalian fringe-related family members have been cloned and characterized: Manic, Radical and Lunatic Fringe. Expression studies in mouse embryos support a conserved role for mammalian Fringe family members in ..
- Zhang N, Gridley T. Defects in somite formation in lunatic fringe-deficient mice. Nature. 1998;394:374-7 pubmed..Here we show that mice homozygous for a targeted mutation of the lunatic fringe (Lfng) gene, one of the mouse homologues of fringe, have defects in somite formation and anterior-posterior ..
- Sewell W, Sparrow D, Smith A, Gonzalez D, Rappaport E, Dunwoodie S, et al. Cyclical expression of the Notch/Wnt regulator Nrarp requires modulation by Dll3 in somitogenesis. Dev Biol. 2009;329:400-9 pubmed publisher..Null mutations of Dll3 disrupt cycling expression of Notch targets Hes1, Hes5, and Lfng, but not of Hes7...
- Hahn K, Beres B, Rowton M, Skinner M, Chang Y, Rawls A, et al. A deficiency of lunatic fringe is associated with cystic dilation of the rete testis. Reproduction. 2009;137:79-93 pubmed publisherb>Lunatic fringe belongs to a family of beta1-3 N-acetyltransferases that modulate the affinity of the Notch receptors for their ligands through the elongation of O-fucose moieties on their extracellular domain...
- Dunwoodie S, Clements M, Sparrow D, Sa X, Conlon R, Beddington R. Axial skeletal defects caused by mutation in the spondylocostal dysplasia/pudgy gene Dll3 are associated with disruption of the segmentation clock within the presomitic mesoderm. Development. 2002;129:1795-806 pubmed..As the expression of Lfng, Hes1, Hes5 and Hey1 is disrupted in the presomitic mesoderm, we suggest that the somitic aberrations are founded ..
- Xue Y, Gao X, Lindsell C, Norton C, Chang B, Hicks C, et al. Embryonic lethality and vascular defects in mice lacking the Notch ligand Jagged1. Hum Mol Genet. 1999;8:723-30 pubmed..These results establish the phenotype of Cm /+ mice as a contiguous gene deletion syndrome and demonstrate that Jag1 is essential for remodeling of the embryonic vasculature. ..
- Gomez C, Ozbudak E, Wunderlich J, Baumann D, Lewis J, Pourquie O. Control of segment number in vertebrate embryos. Nature. 2008;454:335-9 pubmed publisher..In snake embryos, however, the segmentation clock rate is much faster relative to developmental rate than in other amniotes, leading to a greatly increased number of smaller-sized somites...
- Riccomagno M, Martinu L, Mulheisen M, Wu D, Epstein D. Specification of the mammalian cochlea is dependent on Sonic hedgehog. Genes Dev. 2002;16:2365-78 pubmed..Taken together, our data support a model whereby auditory cell fates in the otic vesicle are established by the direct action of Shh. ..
- Takahashi J, Ohbayashi A, Oginuma M, Saito D, Mochizuki A, Saga Y, et al. Analysis of Ripply1/2-deficient mouse embryos reveals a mechanism underlying the rostro-caudal patterning within a somite. Dev Biol. 2010;342:134-45 pubmed publisher..We propose that the rostro-caudal pattern is established by dynamic interaction of Notch activity with two Mesp2 domains, which are defined in successive segmentation cycles by Notch, Tbx6 and Ripply1/2...
- Ishii Y, Nakamura S, Osumi N. Demarcation of early mammalian cortical development by differential expression of fringe genes. Brain Res Dev Brain Res. 2000;119:307-20 pubmed..We show that three members of murine fringe gene family, Lunatic fringe (L-fng), Manic fringe (M-fng) and Radical fringe (R-fng), show related patterns of expression in the ..
- Cohen B, Bashirullah A, Dagnino L, Campbell C, Fisher W, Leow C, et al. Fringe boundaries coincide with Notch-dependent patterning centres in mammals and alter Notch-dependent development in Drosophila. Nat Genet. 1997;16:283-8 pubmed..We report here the cloning and characterization of three murine fringe genes (lunatic fringe, manic fringe and radical fringe)...
- Morales A, Yasuda Y, Ish Horowicz D. Periodic Lunatic fringe expression is controlled during segmentation by a cyclic transcriptional enhancer responsive to notch signaling. Dev Cell. 2002;3:63-74 pubmed..We identify an evolutionarily conserved 2.3 kb region in the murine Lunatic fringe (Lfng) promoter that drives periodic expression in the PSM...
- Morimoto M, Takahashi Y, Endo M, Saga Y. The Mesp2 transcription factor establishes segmental borders by suppressing Notch activity. Nature. 2005;435:354-9 pubmed..is generated by suppression of Notch activity by mesoderm posterior 2 (Mesp2) through induction of the lunatic fringe gene (Lfng)...
- Rhodes C, Parkinson N, Tsai H, Brooker D, Mansell S, Spurr N, et al. The homeobox gene Emx2 underlies middle ear and inner ear defects in the deaf mouse mutant pardon. J Neurocytol. 2003;32:1143-54 pubmed..We show that a missense mutation in the homeobox gene Emx2 is responsible for these defects, identifying a new function for this gene in the development of specific structures in the ear. ..
- Hirata H, Bessho Y, Kokubu H, Masamizu Y, Yamada S, Lewis J, et al. Instability of Hes7 protein is crucial for the somite segmentation clock. Nat Genet. 2004;36:750-4 pubmed..We simulated this effect mathematically using a direct autorepression model. Thus, instability of Hes7 is essential for sustained oscillation and for its function as a segmentation clock. ..
- Kusumi K, Mimoto M, Covello K, Beddington R, Krumlauf R, Dunwoodie S. Dll3 pudgy mutation differentially disrupts dynamic expression of somite genes. Genesis. 2004;39:115-21 pubmed..In the mouse, notch pathway genes such as Lfng, Hes1, Hes7, and Hey2 display dynamic patterns of expression in paraxial mesoderm, cycling in synchrony with somite ..
- Zhang N, Norton C, Gridley T. Segmentation defects of Notch pathway mutants and absence of a synergistic phenotype in lunatic fringe/radical fringe double mutant mice. Genesis. 2002;33:21-8 pubmed..we show that distinct segmentation defects are displayed in embryos mutant for the Notch pathway genes Notch1, Lunatic fringe (Lfng), Delta-like 1 (Dll1), and Delta-like 3 (Dll3)...
- Ishikawa A, Kitajima S, Takahashi Y, Kokubo H, Kanno J, Inoue T, et al. Mouse Nkd1, a Wnt antagonist, exhibits oscillatory gene expression in the PSM under the control of Notch signaling. Mech Dev. 2004;121:1443-53 pubmed..of vestigial tail (vt/vt), a hypomorphic mutant of Wnt3a, whereas nkd1 oscillations have a similar phase to lunatic fringe (L-fng) transcription and they are arrested in Hes7 (a negative regulator of Notch signaling) deficient ..
- Przemeck G, Heinzmann U, Beckers J, Hrabe de Angelis M. Node and midline defects are associated with left-right development in Delta1 mutant embryos. Development. 2003;130:3-13 pubmed..Based on expression analysis in wild-type and mutant embryos, we suggest a model, in which Notch signalling is required for the proper differentiation of node cells and node morphology...
- Kim W, Matsui T, Yamao M, Ishibashi M, Tamada K, Takumi T, et al. The period of the somite segmentation clock is sensitive to Notch activity. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:3541-9 pubmed publisher..Therefore we propose that the period of the somite segmentation clock is sensitive to Notch activity and that Nrarp plays essential roles in the morphology of vertebrae and ribs. ..
- Serth K, Schuster Gossler K, Cordes R, Gossler A. Transcriptional oscillation of lunatic fringe is essential for somitogenesis. Genes Dev. 2003;17:912-25 pubmedA molecular oscillator that controls the expression of cyclic genes such as lunatic fringe (Lfng) in the presomitic mesoderm has been shown to be coupled with somite formation in vertebrate embryos...
- Feller J, Schneider A, Schuster Gossler K, Gossler A. Noncyclic Notch activity in the presomitic mesoderm demonstrates uncoupling of somite compartmentalization and boundary formation. Genes Dev. 2008;22:2166-71 pubmed publisher..Embryos expressing NICD formed up to 18 somites. Expression in the PSM of Hes7, Lfng, and Spry2 was no longer cyclic, whereas Axin2 was expressed dynamically...
- Barrantes I, Elia A, Wunsch K, Hrabe de Angelis M, Mak T, Rossant J, et al. Interaction between Notch signalling and Lunatic fringe during somite boundary formation in the mouse. Curr Biol. 1999;9:470-80 pubmed..The Dll1, Notch1 and RBPJkappa mutations disrupt the expression of Lunatic fringe (L-fng), Jagged1, Mesp1, Mesp2 and Hes5 in the PSM. Furthermore, expression of EphA4, mCer 1 and uncx4...
- Jouve C, Palmeirim I, Henrique D, Beckers J, Gossler A, Ish Horowicz D, et al. Notch signalling is required for cyclic expression of the hairy-like gene HES1 in the presomitic mesoderm. Development. 2000;127:1421-9 pubmed..segmentation clock', operates in the presomitic mesoderm (PSM) to direct periodic expression of c-hairy1 and lunatic fringe (l-fng)...
- Oginuma M, Niwa Y, Chapman D, Saga Y. Mesp2 and Tbx6 cooperatively create periodic patterns coupled with the clock machinery during mouse somitogenesis. Development. 2008;135:2555-62 pubmed publisher..Taken together, we conclude that Mesp2 is the final output signal by which the temporal information from the segmentation clock is translated into segmental patterning during mouse somitogenesis...
- Cole S, Levorse J, Tilghman S, Vogt T. Clock regulatory elements control cyclic expression of Lunatic fringe during somitogenesis. Dev Cell. 2002;3:75-84 pubmedSomitogenesis requires a segmentation clock and Notch signaling. Lunatic fringe (Lfng) expression in the presomitic mesoderm (PSM) cycles in the posterior PSM, is refined in the segmenting somite to the rostral compartment, and is ..
- Choo D, Ward J, Reece A, Dou H, Lin Z, Greinwald J. Molecular mechanisms underlying inner ear patterning defects in kreisler mutants. Dev Biol. 2006;289:308-17 pubmed..The data also identify Gbx2, Dlx5, Wnt2b and Otx2 as key otic genes ultimately affected by perturbation of the kr/mafB-hindbrain pathway. ..
- Biris K, Dunty W, Yamaguchi T. Mouse Ripply2 is downstream of Wnt3a and is dynamically expressed during somitogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:3167-72 pubmed..Our data are consistent with Ripply2 functioning as a segment boundary determination gene during mammalian embryogenesis. Developmental ..
- Holley M, Rhodes C, Kneebone A, Herde M, Fleming M, Steel K. Emx2 and early hair cell development in the mouse inner ear. Dev Biol. 2010;340:547-56 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Emx2 regulates early developmental events that balance cell proliferation and differentiation in the sensory precursor population. ..
- Lourenço R, Lopes S, Saude L. Left-right function of dmrt2 genes is not conserved between zebrafish and mouse. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e14438 pubmed publisher..Our results show that the role of dmrt2 gene is not conserved during zebrafish and mouse embryonic development. ..
- Moraes F, Novoa A, Jerome Majewska L, Papaioannou V, Mallo M. Tbx1 is required for proper neural crest migration and to stabilize spatial patterns during middle and inner ear development. Mech Dev. 2005;122:199-212 pubmed..The inability of the Tbx1(-/-) embryos to keep properly segregated functional domains in the otocyst is likely the cause of the strong inner ear phenotypes observed in these mutants. ..
- Mustonen T, Tummers M, Mikami T, Itoh N, Zhang N, Gridley T, et al. Lunatic fringe, FGF, and BMP regulate the Notch pathway during epithelial morphogenesis of teeth. Dev Biol. 2002;248:281-93 pubmed..b>Lunatic fringe expression was restricted to the epithelium, where it formed a boundary flanking the enamel knot...
- Yang L, Nichols J, Yao C, Manilay J, Robey E, Weinmaster G. Fringe glycosyltransferases differentially modulate Notch1 proteolysis induced by Delta1 and Jagged1. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:927-42 pubmed..Here, we report that expression of mammalian fringe proteins (Lunatic [LFng], Manic [MFng], or Radical [RFng] Fringe) increased Delta1 binding and activation of Notch1 signaling in 293T and ..
- Tsao P, Chen F, Izvolsky K, Walker J, Kukuruzinska M, LU J, et al. Gamma-secretase activation of notch signaling regulates the balance of proximal and distal fates in progenitor cells of the developing lung. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:29532-44 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest a novel mechanism in which Notch and fibroblast growth factor signaling interact to control the proximal-distal pattern of forming airways in the mammalian lung. ..