Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Lamc2
Description: laminin, gamma 2
Alias: AA589349, laminin subunit gamma-2, epiligrin subunit gamma, kalinin subunit gamma, kalinin/nicein/epiligrin 100 kDa subunit, laminin B2t chain, laminin gamma2 chain, laminin-5 subunit gamma, nicein subunit gamma, nicein, 100kD, nicein, 100kDa
- Kuster J, Guarnieri M, Ault J, Flaherty L, Swiatek P. IAP insertion in the murine LamB3 gene results in junctional epidermolysis bullosa. Mamm Genome. 1997;8:673-81 pubmed..These findings suggest a role for laminin-5 in hemidesmosome formation and indicate that the LamB3(IAP) mutant is a useful mouse model for HJEB. ..
- Kieffer Combeau S, Meyer J, Lesot H. Cell-matrix interactions and cell-cell junctions during epithelial histo-morphogenesis in the developing mouse incisor. Int J Dev Biol. 2001;45:733-42 pubmed..alpha6 integrin, BP 230 and laminin gamma2 chain were all expressed in the developing incisor but were not always co-distributed...
- Baudoin C, Miquel C, Blanchet Bardon C, Gambini C, Meneguzzi G, Ortonne J. Herlitz junctional epidermolysis bullosa keratinocytes display heterogeneous defects of nicein/kalinin gene expression. J Clin Invest. 1994;93:862-9 pubmed..In this report, we thus demonstrate that H-JEB is a genetically heterogeneous disease and we provide strong evidence that the genes of nicein are the candidates for this genodermatosis. ..
- Gersdorff N, Muller M, Otto S, Poschadel R, Hübner S, Miosge N. Basement membrane composition in the early mouse embryo day 7. Dev Dyn. 2005;233:1140-8 pubmed..In conclusion, laminin-1 might be the only laminin isoform in the early mouse embryo that, together with the other main BM components, nidogens, collagen type IV, and perlecan, is synthesized by all three germ layers. ..
- Petrou P, Pavlakis E, Dalezios Y, Galanopoulos V, Chalepakis G. Basement membrane distortions impair lung lobation and capillary organization in the mouse model for fraser syndrome. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:10350-6 pubmed..Thus, our findings identify Fras1 as an important structural component of the sub-lamina densa of basement membranes required for lobar septation and the organization of blood capillaries in the peripheral lung. ..
- Chang Y, Sabourin C, Lu S, Sasaki T, Svoboda K, Gordon M, et al. Upregulation of gamma-2 laminin-332 in the mouse ear vesicant wound model. J Biochem Mol Toxicol. 2009;23:172-84 pubmed publisher..Protein production was in excess of the amount required to form heterotrimeric laminin-332 and was associated with the migrating epithelial sheet, suggesting a potential role in wound healing for monomeric laminin-gamma2. ..
- Tailor C, Nouri A, Lee C, Kozak C, Kabat D. Cloning and characterization of a cell surface receptor for xenotropic and polytropic murine leukemia viruses. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:927-32 pubmed..We propose that X-MLVs and P-MLVs comprise a single family of retroviruses that have coevolved in response to diversification in X-receptor genes of the host. ..
- Sproule T, Bubier J, Grandi F, Sun V, Philip V, McPhee C, et al. Molecular identification of collagen 17a1 as a major genetic modifier of laminin gamma 2 mutation-induced junctional epidermolysis bullosa in mice. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004068 pubmed publisher..recapitulates a non-Herlitz form of junctional EB (JEB) owing to the hypomorphic jeb allele of laminin gamma 2 (Lamc2)...
- Yoshiba N, Yoshiba K, Aberdam D, Meneguzzi G, Perrin Schmitt F, Stoetzel C, et al. Expression and localization of laminin-5 subunits in the mouse incisor. Cell Tissue Res. 1998;292:143-9 pubmed
- Aberdam D, Galliano M, Mattei M, Pisani Spadafora A, Ortonne J, Meneguzzi G. Assignment of mouse nicein genes to chromosomes 1 and 18. Mamm Genome. 1994;5:229-33 pubmed
- Adair Kirk T, Griffin G, Meyer M, Kelley D, Miner J, Keene D, et al. Keratinocyte-targeted expression of human laminin ?2 rescues skin blistering and early lethality of laminin ?2 deficient mice. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e45546 pubmed publisher..expressed a dox-controllable human laminin ?2 transgene under a keratinocyte-specific promoter on the laminin ?2 (Lamc2) knockout background...
- Qin P, Piechocki M, Lu S, Kurpakus M. Localization of basement membrane-associated protein isoforms during development of the ocular surface of mouse eye. Dev Dyn. 1997;209:367-76 pubmed
- Yotsumoto S, Fujiwara H, Horton J, Mosby T, Wang X, Cui Y, et al. Cloning and expression analyses of mouse dystroglycan gene: specific expression in maternal decidua at the peri-implantation stage. Hum Mol Genet. 1996;5:1259-67 pubmed
- Moon Y, Rao G, Kim J, Shim H, Park K, An S, et al. LAMC2 enhances the metastatic potential of lung adenocarcinoma. Cell Death Differ. 2015;22:1341-52 pubmed publisher..Using genome-wide transcriptional analysis in an experimental metastasis model, we identified laminin Î³2 (LAMC2), an epithelial basement membrane protein, to be significantly upregulated in lung adenocarcinoma metastatic cells...
- Klaffky E, Williams R, Yao C, Ziober B, Kramer R, Sutherland A. Trophoblast-specific expression and function of the integrin alpha 7 subunit in the peri-implantation mouse embryo. Dev Biol. 2001;239:161-75 pubmed..These interactions are not only important for trophoblast adhesion and spreading but may also play a role in regulating trophectoderm proliferation and differentiation. ..
- Sosne G, Xu L, Prach L, Mrock L, Kleinman H, Letterio J, et al. Thymosin beta 4 stimulates laminin-5 production independent of TGF-beta. Exp Cell Res. 2004;293:175-83 pubmed..Tbeta(4) and TGFbeta-1 increase LM-5 gamma2 chain expression by independent pathways. Suppression of TGFbeta-1 further increases LM-5 gamma2 chain expression. ..
- Ray H, Niswander L. Grainyhead-like 2 downstream targets act to suppress epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition during neural tube closure. Development. 2016;143:1192-204 pubmed publisher..Further, we identified Esrp1, Sostdc1, Fermt1, Tmprss2 and Lamc2 as novel NNE-expressed genes that are downregulated in Grhl2 mutants...
- Margadant C, Raymond K, Kreft M, Sachs N, Janssen H, Sonnenberg A. Integrin alpha3beta1 inhibits directional migration and wound re-epithelialization in the skin. J Cell Sci. 2009;122:278-88 pubmed publisher..We suggest that integrin alpha3beta1 delays keratinocyte migration during wound re-epithelialization, by binding to the laminin-332 that is newly deposited on the wound bed. ..
- Murgia C, Blaikie P, Kim N, Dans M, Petrie H, Giancotti F. Cell cycle and adhesion defects in mice carrying a targeted deletion of the integrin beta4 cytoplasmic domain. EMBO J. 1998;17:3940-51 pubmed
- Lentz S, Miner J, Sanes J, Snider W. Distribution of the ten known laminin chains in the pathways and targets of developing sensory axons. J Comp Neurol. 1997;378:547-61 pubmed..g., gamma 1), continue to be expressed by Schwann cells into adulthood. In contrast to peripheral nerves and ganglia, laminin chains are expressed at low levels, if at all, in the developing spinal cord gray matter. ..
- Lopez Escobar B, De Felipe B, Sánchez Alcázar J, Sasaki T, Copp A, Ybot Gonzalez P. Laminin and integrin expression in the ventral ectodermal ridge of the mouse embryo: implications for regulation of BMP signalling. Dev Dyn. 2012;241:1808-15 pubmed publisher..Laminin532 could interact with Î±6-containing integrin to direct differentiation of the specialised VER cells from surface ectoderm. ..
- Copp A, Carvalho R, Wallace A, Sorokin L, Sasaki T, Greene N, et al. Regional differences in the expression of laminin isoforms during mouse neural tube development. Matrix Biol. 2011;30:301-9 pubmed publisher..This information paves the way towards a mechanistic analysis of basement membrane laminin function during early neural tube development in mammals. ..
- Kitadai Y, Yamamoto H, Oue N, Ohdan H, Yasui W, Kikuchi A. Laminin gamma2 mediates Wnt5a-induced invasion of gastric cancer cells. Gastroenterology. 2009;137:242-52, 252.e1-6 pubmed..Wnt5a contributes to gastric cancer progression by increasing metastatic potential. Wnt5a up-regulates laminin gamma2 to mediate gastric cancer cell aggressiveness. ..
- Hashimoto J, Ogawa T, Tsubota Y, Miyazaki K. Laminin-5 suppresses chondrogenic differentiation of murine teratocarcinoma cell line ATDC5. Exp Cell Res. 2005;310:256-69 pubmed..These results suggest that laminin-5 and its processing modulate chondrogenic differentiation during development. ..
- Cha H, Philp D, Lee S, Moon H, Kleinman H, Nakamura T. Over-expression of thymosin beta 4 promotes abnormal tooth development and stimulation of hair growth. Int J Dev Biol. 2010;54:135-40 pubmed publisher..We found that the expression of laminin-5 was up-regulated in the skin of the transgenic mice. We conclude that thymosin beta 4 has an important physiological role in hair growth and in tooth development. ..
- Cha S, Nagashima H, Brown V, Peck A, Humphreys Beher M. Two NOD Idd-associated intervals contribute synergistically to the development of autoimmune exocrinopathy (Sjögren's syndrome) on a healthy murine background. Arthritis Rheum. 2002;46:1390-8 pubmed..We propose that this murine model of SS-like disease be designated C57BL/6.NOD-Aec1Aec2. Identification of specific genes within the Aec1 and Aec2 genetic regions should help elucidate the mechanism(s) underlying SS-like disease. ..
- Takamiya K, Kostourou V, Adams S, Jadeja S, Chalepakis G, Scambler P, et al. A direct functional link between the multi-PDZ domain protein GRIP1 and the Fraser syndrome protein Fras1. Nat Genet. 2004;36:172-7 pubmed..Our data indicate that GRIP1 is required for normal cell-matrix interactions during early embryonic development and that inactivation of Grip1 causes Fraser syndrome-like defects in mice. ..
- Sugiyama S, Utani A, Yamada S, Kozak C, Yamada Y. Cloning and expression of the mouse laminin gamma 2 (B2t) chain, a subunit of epithelial cell laminin. Eur J Biochem. 1995;228:120-8 pubmed..This protein complex is characteristic of the kalinin (nicein/epiligrin) complex, and provides further evidence that these proteins are identical and that the gamma 2 chain is the subunit of the epithelial-cell-specific laminin. ..
- Sahlberg C, Hormia M, Airenne T, Thesleff I. Laminin gamma2 expression is developmentally regulated during murine tooth morphogenesis and is intense in ameloblasts. J Dent Res. 1998;77:1589-96 pubmed
- Salo S, Haakana H, Kontusaari S, Hujanen E, Kallunki T, Tryggvason K. Laminin-5 promotes adhesion and migration of epithelial cells: identification of a migration-related element in the gamma2 chain gene (LAMC2) with activity in transgenic mice. Matrix Biol. 1999;18:197-210 pubmed..and migration were studied, and a migration-related cis-acting element was identified in the gamma2 chain gene (LAMC2) using promoter-reporter gene constructs in transgenic mice...
- Kadoya Y, Yamashina S. Localization of laminin-5, HD1/plectin, and BP230 in the submandibular glands of developing and adult mice. Histochem Cell Biol. 1999;112:417-25 pubmed..The results also suggest that the developing duct epithelium interacts with laminin-5 through the type II hemidesmosome, which later matures into a typical hemidesmosome upon the onset of expression of BP230. ..
- Spirito F, Charlesworth A, Linder K, Ortonne J, Baird J, Meneguzzi G. Animal models for skin blistering conditions: absence of laminin 5 causes hereditary junctional mechanobullous disease in the Belgian horse. J Invest Dermatol. 2002;119:684-91 pubmed publisher..form of junctional epidermolysis bullosa in man; (ii) the amino acid sequence and structure of the horse laminin gamma2 chain are virtually identical to the human counterpart; (iii) the moderate eruption of skin blisters in the ..
- Oblander S, Zhou Z, Galvez B, Starcher B, Shannon J, Durbeej M, et al. Distinctive functions of membrane type 1 matrix-metalloprotease (MT1-MMP or MMP-14) in lung and submandibular gland development are independent of its role in pro-MMP-2 activation. Dev Biol. 2005;277:255-69 pubmed
- Yoshiba K, Yoshiba N, Aberdam D, Meneguzzi G, Perrin Schmitt F, Stoetzel C, et al. Differential expression of laminin-5 subunits during incisor and molar development in the mouse. Int J Dev Biol. 2000;44:337-40 pubmed..The asymmetrical expression of laminin-5 might be related to incisor morphogenesis and to the differences in histogenesis and cytodifferentiation of the IDE that exist in the labial versus lingual aspect of the cervical loop. ..
- Mill P, Mo R, Fu H, Grachtchouk M, Kim P, Dlugosz A, et al. Sonic hedgehog-dependent activation of Gli2 is essential for embryonic hair follicle development. Genes Dev. 2003;17:282-94 pubmed..Together, our results suggest that Shh-dependent Gli2 activation plays a critical role in epithelial homeostasis by promoting proliferation through the transcriptional control of cell cycle regulators. ..
- Yang Y, Guo L, Xu S, Holland C, Kitamura T, Hunter K, et al. Receptors for polytropic and xenotropic mouse leukaemia viruses encoded by a single gene at Rmc1. Nat Genet. 1999;21:216-9 pubmed..We also obtained the cDNA encoding human SYG1. When expressed in hamster cells, it establishes infectivity by MCF MLV as well as xenotropic MLV, which do not infect laboratory mice...
- Smirnov S, Barzaghi P, McKee K, Ruegg M, Yurchenco P. Conjugation of LG domains of agrins and perlecan to polymerizing laminin-2 promotes acetylcholine receptor clustering. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:41449-57 pubmed..Such interactions may contribute to the assembly of aneural AChR clusters that precede neural agrin release as well as affect later NMJ development. ..
- Nishiyama T, Kii I, Kashima T, Kikuchi Y, Ohazama A, Shimazaki M, et al. Delayed re-epithelialization in periostin-deficient mice during cutaneous wound healing. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e18410 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that periostin was essential for keratinocyte proliferation for re-epithelialization during cutaneous wound healing. ..
- Yoshiba K, Yoshiba N, Aberdam D, Meneguzzi G, Perrin Schmitt F, Stoetzel C, et al. Expression and localization of laminin-5 subunits during mouse tooth development. Dev Dyn. 1998;211:164-76 pubmed
- Lazarova Z, Yee C, Darling T, Briggaman R, Yancey K. Passive transfer of anti-laminin 5 antibodies induces subepidermal blisters in neonatal mice. J Clin Invest. 1996;98:1509-18 pubmed..These studies establish an animal model of a human blistering disease that can be used to define disease mechanisms and treatment modalities. ..
- Dowling J, Yu Q, Fuchs E. Beta4 integrin is required for hemidesmosome formation, cell adhesion and cell survival. J Cell Biol. 1996;134:559-72 pubmed
- Lyu M, Kozak C, Chin H. Genetic mapping of the gene encoding the alpha1 subunit of neuronal calcium channels. Mamm Genome. 1996;7:326-7 pubmed
- Fantauzzo K, Soriano P. PDGFR? regulates craniofacial development through homodimers and functional heterodimers with PDGFR?. Genes Dev. 2016;30:2443-2458 pubmed..Our studies thus uncover a novel mode of signaling for the PDGF family during vertebrate development. ..
- PietilÃ¤ I, Prunskaite HyyrylÃ¤inen R, Kaisto S, Tika E, van Eerde A, Salo A, et al. Wnt5a Deficiency Leads to Anomalies in Ureteric Tree Development, Tubular Epithelial Cell Organization and Basement Membrane Integrity Pointing to a Role in Kidney Collecting Duct Patterning. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0147171 pubmed publisher..Together Wnt5a has a novel function in kidney organogenesis by contributing to patterning of UB derived collecting duct development contributing putatively to congenital disease. ..
- Wazen R, Viegas Costa L, Fouillen A, Moffatt P, Adair Kirk T, Senior R, et al. Laminin Î³2 knockout mice rescued with the human protein exhibit enamel maturation defects. Matrix Biol. 2016;52-54:207-218 pubmed publisher..The lethal phenotype of laminin Î³2 knockout mice can be rescued by human laminin Î³2 (LAMC2) expressed using a doxycycline-inducible (Tet-on) cytokeratin 14 promoter-rtTA...
- Radmanesh F, Caglayan A, Silhavy J, Yilmaz C, Cantagrel V, Omar T, et al. Mutations in LAMB1 cause cobblestone brain malformation without muscular or ocular abnormalities. Am J Hum Genet. 2013;92:468-74 pubmed publisher..LAMB1 is localized to the pial basement membrane, suggesting that defective connection between radial glial cells and the pial surface mediated by LAMB1 leads to this malformation. ..
- Li Y, Radner S, French M, Pinzon Duarte G, Daly G, Burgeson R, et al. The ?3 chain of laminin is widely but differentially expressed in murine basement membranes: expression and functional studies. Matrix Biol. 2012;31:120-34 pubmed publisher..These data support the suggestion that the ?3 chain is deposited in BMs and contributes some unique properties to their function, particularly in the nervous system...
- van Berlo J, Elrod J, van den Hoogenhof M, York A, Aronow B, Duncan S, et al. The transcription factor GATA-6 regulates pathological cardiac hypertrophy. Circ Res. 2010;107:1032-40 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that GATA-6 is both necessary and sufficient for regulating the cardiac hypertrophic response and differentiated gene expression, both alone and in coordination with GATA-4. ..
- Koch M, Veit G, Stricker S, Bhatt P, Kutsch S, Zhou P, et al. Expression of type XXIII collagen mRNA and protein. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:21546-57 pubmed
- Jenkins Z, Montgomery G. Genetic mapping of the laminin gamma 2 gene on sheep chromosome 12. Mamm Genome. 1996;7:868-9 pubmed
- Utani A, Kopp J, Kozak C, Matsuki Y, Amizuka N, Sugiyama S, et al. Mouse kalinin B1 (laminin beta 3 chain): cloning and tissue distribution. Lab Invest. 1995;72:300-10 pubmed..In vitro studies indicate that the beta 3 chain participates in trimer formation with the gamma 2 chain and possibly with other laminin chains as well. ..