Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Lamc1
Description: laminin, gamma 1
Alias: Lamb2, laminin subunit gamma-1, S-LAM gamma, S-laminin subunit gamma, laminin B2 chain, laminin-1 subunit gamma, laminin-10 subunit gamma, laminin-11 subunit gamma, laminin-2 subunit gamma, laminin-3 subunit gamma, laminin-4 subunit gamma, laminin-6 subunit gamma, laminin-7 subunit gamma, laminin-8 subunit gamma, laminin-9 subunit gamma
- Nguyen N, Miner J, Pierce R, Senior R. Laminin alpha 5 is required for lobar septation and visceral pleural basement membrane formation in the developing mouse lung. Dev Biol. 2002;246:231-44 pubmed..Our finding of normal lung branching morphogenesis with abnormal lobar septation demonstrates that these processes are not obligatorily linked. ..
- Willem M, Miosge N, Halfter W, Smyth N, Jannetti I, Burghart E, et al. Specific ablation of the nidogen-binding site in the laminin gamma1 chain interferes with kidney and lung development. Development. 2002;129:2711-22 pubmed..now selectively deleted the sequence coding for the 56 amino acid nidogen-binding site, gamma1III4, within the Lamc1 gene by gene targeting...
- Rebustini I, Patel V, Stewart J, Layvey A, Georges Labouesse E, Miner J, et al. Laminin alpha5 is necessary for submandibular gland epithelial morphogenesis and influences FGFR expression through beta1 integrin signaling. Dev Biol. 2007;308:15-29 pubmed..These data link changes in basement membrane composition during branching morphogenesis with FGFR expression and signaling. ..
- Stephens L, Sutherland A, Klimanskaya I, Andrieux A, Meneses J, Pedersen R, et al. Deletion of beta 1 integrins in mice results in inner cell mass failure and peri-implantation lethality. Genes Dev. 1995;9:1883-95 pubmed
- Noakes P, Miner J, Gautam M, Cunningham J, Sanes J, Merlie J. The renal glomerulus of mice lacking s-laminin/laminin beta 2: nephrosis despite molecular compensation by laminin beta 1. Nat Genet. 1995;10:400-6 pubmed..Laminin beta 2-deficient mice may provide a model for human congenital or idiopathic nephrotic syndromes...
- Sugiyama S, Utani A, Yamada S, Kozak C, Yamada Y. Cloning and expression of the mouse laminin gamma 2 (B2t) chain, a subunit of epithelial cell laminin. Eur J Biochem. 1995;228:120-8 pubmed..This protein complex is characteristic of the kalinin (nicein/epiligrin) complex, and provides further evidence that these proteins are identical and that the gamma 2 chain is the subunit of the epithelial-cell-specific laminin. ..
- Kalkhof S, Haehn S, Paulsson M, Smyth N, Meiler J, Sinz A. Computational modeling of laminin N-terminal domains using sparse distance constraints from disulfide bonds and chemical cross-linking. Proteins. 2010;78:3409-27 pubmed publisher..We predict that laminin ?(1) and ?(1) LN domains share the galactose-binding domain-like fold. ..
- Haubst N, Georges Labouesse E, De Arcangelis A, Mayer U, Gotz M. Basement membrane attachment is dispensable for radial glial cell fate and for proliferation, but affects positioning of neuronal subtypes. Development. 2006;133:3245-54 pubmed..Thus, although BM attachment seems dispensable for precursor cells, an intact BM is required for adequate neuronal composition of the cerebral cortex. ..
- Miner J, Li C. Defective glomerulogenesis in the absence of laminin alpha5 demonstrates a developmental role for the kidney glomerular basement membrane. Dev Biol. 2000;217:278-89 pubmed
- Sorokin L, Pausch F, Frieser M, Kroger S, Ohage E, Deutzmann R. Developmental regulation of the laminin alpha5 chain suggests a role in epithelial and endothelial cell maturation. Dev Biol. 1997;189:285-300 pubmed..The data show that laminin alpha5 expression is associated with epithelial and endothelial cell maturation, implicating a role for this laminin chain in the maintenance of differentiated epithelial and endothelial cell phenotype. ..
- Kikkawa Y, Miner J. Molecular dissection of laminin alpha 5 in vivo reveals separable domain-specific roles in embryonic development and kidney function. Dev Biol. 2006;296:265-77 pubmed
- Chen Z, Yao Y, Norris E, Kruyer A, Jno Charles O, Akhmerov A, et al. Ablation of astrocytic laminin impairs vascular smooth muscle cell function and leads to hemorrhagic stroke. J Cell Biol. 2013;202:381-95 pubmed publisher..These results show that astrocytes regulate VSMCs and vascular integrity in small vessels of deep brain regions. Therefore, astrocytes may be a possible target for hemorrhagic stroke prevention and therapy. ..
- Kroll T, Peters B, Hustad C, Jones P, Killen P, Ruddon R. Expression of laminin chains during myogenic differentiation. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:9270-7 pubmed..The results demonstrate that expression of the Ae and Ac3h laminin chains is associated with expression of MyoD and the mammalian myogenic differentiation program. ..
- Chang H, Kim N, Phillips S. Positive elements in the laminin gamma 1 gene synergize to activate high level transcription during cellular differentiation. Nucleic Acids Res. 1996;24:1360-8 pubmed..However, the kinetics of transcriptional activation suggest each DNA region interacts with transcription factors appearing at different times during differentiation. Synergy between the two regions in cis causes high level activation. ..
- Yin Y, Kikkawa Y, Mudd J, Skarnes W, Sanes J, Miner J. Expression of laminin chains by central neurons: analysis with gene and protein trapping techniques. Genesis. 2003;36:114-27 pubmed..The co-trapping method may be generally useful for identifying proteins or isolating protein complexes associated with trapped gene products. ..
- Klein G, Ekblom M, Fecker L, Timpl R, Ekblom P. Differential expression of laminin A and B chains during development of embryonic mouse organs. Development. 1990;110:823-37 pubmed..Since a major cell binding site of laminin contains parts of the A chain, the variants should differ in biological function from laminin containing this A chain. ..
- Sasaki M, Yamada Y. The laminin B2 chain has a multidomain structure homologous to the B1 chain. J Biol Chem. 1987;262:17111-7 pubmed..In addition, the amino acid sequences of the B2 and B1 chains demonstrate considerable homology, suggesting that the genes for these two chains arose from a common ancestor. ..
- Gkantidis N, Katsaros C, Chiquet M. Detection of gelatinolytic activity in developing basement membranes of the mouse embryo head by combining sensitive in situ zymography with immunolabeling. Histochem Cell Biol. 2012;138:557-71 pubmed publisher..Thus, this sensitive method allows to associate, with high spatial resolution, gelatinolytic activity with epithelial morphogenesis in the embryo...
- Yu W, Yu H, Chen Z, Strickland S. Disruption of laminin in the peripheral nervous system impedes nonmyelinating Schwann cell development and impairs nociceptive sensory function. Glia. 2009;57:850-9 pubmed publisher..These results show that laminin participates in nonmyelinating SC development and Remak bundle formation and suggest a possible role for laminin deficiency in peripheral sensory neuropathies. ..
- Shim C, Kwon H, Kim K. Differential expression of laminin chain-specific mRNA transcripts during mouse preimplantation embryo development. Mol Reprod Dev. 1996;44:44-55 pubmed..The uterine environment enclosing the preimplantation embryos appears, therefore, to play an important role in the regulation of laminin gene expression during blastocyst development. ..
- Smyth N, Vatansever H, Murray P, Meyer M, Frie C, Paulsson M, et al. Absence of basement membranes after targeting the LAMC1 gene results in embryonic lethality due to failure of endoderm differentiation. J Cell Biol. 1999;144:151-60 pubmedThe LAMC1 gene coding for the laminin gamma1 subunit was targeted by homologous recombination in mouse embryonic stem cells...
- Patton B, Miner J, Chiu A, Sanes J. Distribution and function of laminins in the neuromuscular system of developing, adult, and mutant mice. J Cell Biol. 1997;139:1507-21 pubmed..The ability of laminin 11 to serve as a stop signal for growing axons explains, in part, axonal behaviors observed at developing and regenerating synapses in vivo. ..
- Kadoya Y, Salmivirta K, Talts J, Kadoya K, Mayer U, Timpl R, et al. Importance of nidogen binding to laminin gamma1 for branching epithelial morphogenesis of the submandibular gland. Development. 1997;124:683-91 pubmed..We suggest that nidogen could be an important mesenchymal factor for submandibular gland development. ..
- Schuler F, Sorokin L. Expression of laminin isoforms in mouse myogenic cells in vitro and in vivo. J Cell Sci. 1995;108 ( Pt 12):3795-805 pubmed..Taken together, the data suggest that laminins 1 and 2 play distinct roles in myogenesis. ..
- McKee K, Harrison D, Capizzi S, Yurchenco P. Role of laminin terminal globular domains in basement membrane assembly. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:21437-47 pubmed..Furthermore, type IV collagen recruitment into the laminin extracellular matrices appears to be mediated through a nidogen bridge with a lesser contribution arising from a direct interaction with laminin. ..
- Yu W, Feltri M, Wrabetz L, Strickland S, Chen Z. Schwann cell-specific ablation of laminin gamma1 causes apoptosis and prevents proliferation. J Neurosci. 2005;25:4463-72 pubmed
- Stetefeld J, Mayer U, Timpl R, Huber R. Crystal structure of three consecutive laminin-type epidermal growth factor-like (LE) modules of laminin gamma1 chain harboring the nidogen binding site. J Mol Biol. 1996;257:644-57 pubmed..They also indicate that the crucial residues in the binding loops provide direct contacts with nidogen and explain the synergism between loops a and c which is essential for binding. ..
- Takagi J. [Complex between nidogen and laminin fragments reveals a paradigmatic beta-propeller interface]. Tanpakushitsu Kakusan Koso. 2003;48:1920-7 pubmed
- Wang X, Astrof S. Neural crest cell-autonomous roles of fibronectin in cardiovascular development. Development. 2016;143:88-100 pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrate an essential role of the localized synthesis of Fn1 in cardiovascular development and spatial regulation of Notch signaling. ..
- Danciger M, Kozak C, Abe T, Shinohara T, Farber D. The gene for retinal rod 33-kDa protein is on mouse chromosome 1, near Lamb2. Cytogenet Cell Genet. 1991;56:202-5 pubmed..to this protein to mouse Chromosome 1 and, by analyzing the progeny of an intersubspecific backcross, have positioned it near Lamb2 (the beta 2 chain of laminin). We have designated the gene Rpr-1 (rod photoreceptor protein-1).
- Copp A, Carvalho R, Wallace A, Sorokin L, Sasaki T, Greene N, et al. Regional differences in the expression of laminin isoforms during mouse neural tube development. Matrix Biol. 2011;30:301-9 pubmed publisher..This information paves the way towards a mechanistic analysis of basement membrane laminin function during early neural tube development in mammals. ..
- Ichikawa Tomikawa N, Ogawa J, Douet V, Xu Z, Kamikubo Y, Sakurai T, et al. Laminin Î±1 is essential for mouse cerebellar development. Matrix Biol. 2012;31:17-28 pubmed publisher..A marked reduction in numbers of dendritic processes in Purkinje cells was observed in Lama1(CKO) mice. Together, these results indicate that Lama1 is required for cerebellar development and functions. ..
- Gkantidis N, Blumer S, Katsaros C, Graf D, Chiquet M. Site-specific expression of gelatinolytic activity during morphogenesis of the secondary palate in the mouse embryo. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e47762 pubmed publisher..5. Whereas MMPs have been implicated in palatal fusion before, this is the first report showing that gelatinases might contribute to tissue remodeling during early stages of palatal shelf elevation and formation of the nasopharynx...
- Dong L, Chung A. The expression of the genes for entactin, laminin A, laminin B1 and laminin B2 in murine lens morphogenesis and eye development. Differentiation. 1991;48:157-72 pubmed
- Sorokin L, Girg W, Göpfert T, Hallmann R, Deutzmann R. Expression of novel 400-kDa laminin chains by mouse and bovine endothelial cells. Eur J Biochem. 1994;223:603-10 pubmed..Northern blot analysis confirmed the presence of beta 1 and gamma 1 polypeptides and the corresponding LamB1 and LamC1 mRNAs in all cells investigated...
- Kalkhof S, Witte K, Ihling C, Müller M, Keller M, Haehn S, et al. A novel disulfide pattern in laminin-type epidermal growth factor-like (LE) modules of laminin ?1 and ?1 chains. Biochemistry. 2010;49:8359-66 pubmed publisher..This suggests that LE domains differing in function also differ in their disulfide patterns. ..
- Osada A, Kiyozumi D, Tsutsui K, Ono Y, Weber C, Sugimoto N, et al. Expression of MAEG, a novel basement membrane protein, in mouse hair follicle morphogenesis. Exp Cell Res. 2005;303:148-59 pubmed
- Gersdorff N, Muller M, Otto S, Poschadel R, Hübner S, Miosge N. Basement membrane composition in the early mouse embryo day 7. Dev Dyn. 2005;233:1140-8 pubmed..In conclusion, laminin-1 might be the only laminin isoform in the early mouse embryo that, together with the other main BM components, nidogens, collagen type IV, and perlecan, is synthesized by all three germ layers. ..
- Lopez Escobar B, De Felipe B, Sánchez Alcázar J, Sasaki T, Copp A, Ybot Gonzalez P. Laminin and integrin expression in the ventral ectodermal ridge of the mouse embryo: implications for regulation of BMP signalling. Dev Dyn. 2012;241:1808-15 pubmed publisher..Laminin532 could interact with Î±6-containing integrin to direct differentiation of the specialised VER cells from surface ectoderm. ..
- Brandt Bohne U, Keene D, White F, Koch M. MEGF9: a novel transmembrane protein with a strong and developmentally regulated expression in the nervous system. Biochem J. 2007;401:447-57 pubmed..MEGF9 represents a novel putative receptor, expressed in neuronal and non-neuronal tissues, that is regulated during development and could function as a guidance or signalling molecule. ..
- Schneiders F, Maertens B, Böse K, Li Y, Brunken W, Paulsson M, et al. Binding of netrin-4 to laminin short arms regulates basement membrane assembly. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:23750-8 pubmed..When added to explant cultures, netrin-4 retards salivary gland branching morphogenesis. ..
- Takamiya K, Kostourou V, Adams S, Jadeja S, Chalepakis G, Scambler P, et al. A direct functional link between the multi-PDZ domain protein GRIP1 and the Fraser syndrome protein Fras1. Nat Genet. 2004;36:172-7 pubmed..Our data indicate that GRIP1 is required for normal cell-matrix interactions during early embryonic development and that inactivation of Grip1 causes Fraser syndrome-like defects in mice. ..
- Enders G, Kahsai T, Lian G, Funabiki K, Killen P, Hudson B. Developmental changes in seminiferous tubule extracellular matrix components of the mouse testis: alpha 3(IV) collagen chain expressed at the initiation of spermatogenesis. Biol Reprod. 1995;53:1489-99 pubmed..Expression of of the alpha 3(IV) chain coincides with the initiation of spermatogenesis, suggesting a functional role of this chain in spermatogonial proliferation. ..
- Schuger L, Varani J, Killen P, Skubitz A, Gilbride K. Laminin expression in the mouse lung increases with development and stimulates spontaneous organotypic rearrangement of mixed lung cells. Dev Dyn. 1992;195:43-54 pubmed..We conclude that laminin is critical for epithelial-mesenchymal recognition and further morphogenic interaction during both the embryonic and fetal stages of lung development. ..
- Barlow D, Green N, Kurkinen M, Hogan B. Sequencing of laminin B chain cDNAs reveals C-terminal regions of coiled-coil alpha-helix. EMBO J. 1984;3:2355-62 pubmed..Such a repeat is typical of the coiled-coil alpha-helices found in proteins such as myosin, tropomyosin and desmin (2-stranded) and fibrinogen (3-stranded). ..
- Muona A, Eklund L, Väisänen T, Pihlajaniemi T. Developmentally regulated expression of type XV collagen correlates with abnormalities in Col15a1(-/-) mice. Matrix Biol. 2002;21:89-102 pubmed..The early prominent expression of type XV collagen in newly forming blood vessels could also indicate a possible role in angiogenic processes. ..
- Radmanesh F, Caglayan A, Silhavy J, Yilmaz C, Cantagrel V, Omar T, et al. Mutations in LAMB1 cause cobblestone brain malformation without muscular or ocular abnormalities. Am J Hum Genet. 2013;92:468-74 pubmed publisher..LAMB1 is localized to the pial basement membrane, suggesting that defective connection between radial glial cells and the pial surface mediated by LAMB1 leads to this malformation. ..
- Hill R, Hall A, Sime C, Hastie N. A mouse homeo box-containing gene maps near a developmental mutation. Cytogenet Cell Genet. 1987;44:171-4 pubmed..This gene maps to mouse chromosome 1 near or at the dominant hemimelia locus which is a known mouse developmental mutation. ..
- Caetano A, Shiue Y, Lyons L, O Brien S, Laughlin T, Bowling A, et al. A comparative gene map of the horse (Equus caballus). Genome Res. 1999;9:1239-49 pubmed..The equine type I markers developed in this study provide an important resource for the future development of the horse linkage and physical genome maps. ..
- LÃ¶ssl P, KÃ¶lbel K, TÃ¤nzler D, Nannemann D, Ihling C, Keller M, et al. Analysis of nidogen-1/laminin Î³1 interaction by cross-linking, mass spectrometry, and computational modeling reveals multiple binding modes. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e112886 pubmed publisher..This finding implies different modes of interaction resulting in several distinct protein-protein interfaces. ..
- Sugiyama D, Kulkeaw K, Mizuochi C. TGF-beta-1 up-regulates extra-cellular matrix production in mouse hepatoblasts. Mech Dev. 2013;130:195-206 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our observations suggest that hepatoblasts predominantly produce ECM factors under control of TGF-beta-1 in fetal liver. ..
- Kiyozumi D, Osada A, Sugimoto N, Weber C, Ono Y, Imai T, et al. Identification of a novel cell-adhesive protein spatiotemporally expressed in the basement membrane of mouse developing hair follicle. Exp Cell Res. 2005;306:9-23 pubmed..These results, together, indicate that QBRICK is an adhesive ligand of basement membrane distinctively recognized by cells in the embryonic skin and hair follicles through different types of integrins directed to the Arg-Gly-Asp motif. ..
- Elliott R, Barlow D, Hogan B. Linkage of genes for laminin B1 and B2 subunits on chromosome 1 in mouse. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol. 1985;21:477-84 pubmed..Three alleles were found for LamB2 and two for LamB1 among the inbred mouse strains...
- Hussain S, Carafoli F, Hohenester E. Determinants of laminin polymerization revealed by the structure of the ?5 chain amino-terminal region. EMBO Rep. 2011;12:276-82 pubmed publisher..A surface loop that is strictly conserved in the LN domains of all ?-short arms is required for stable ternary association with the ?- and ?-short arms in the laminin network. ..
- Broad T, Burkin D, Cambridge L, Carpenter M, Jones C. Four loci from human chromosome 1 are physically assigned to sheep chromosome 1p. Mamm Genome. 1995;6:551-3 pubmed
- Miner J, Patton B. Laminin-11. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 1999;31:811-6 pubmed..A greater understanding of laminin-11 assembly and basement membrane incorporation could provide a logical basis for therapy in merosin-deficient congenital muscular dystrophy. ..
- Yotsumoto S, Fujiwara H, Horton J, Mosby T, Wang X, Cui Y, et al. Cloning and expression analyses of mouse dystroglycan gene: specific expression in maternal decidua at the peri-implantation stage. Hum Mol Genet. 1996;5:1259-67 pubmed
- Yuan W, Rao Y, Babiuk R, Greer J, Wu J, Ornitz D. A genetic model for a central (septum transversum) congenital diaphragmatic hernia in mice lacking Slit3. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:5217-22 pubmed..This study establishes the first genetic model for CDH and identifies a previously unsuspected role for Slit3 in regulating the development of the diaphragm. ..
- Takagi J, Yang Y, Liu J, Wang J, Springer T. Complex between nidogen and laminin fragments reveals a paradigmatic beta-propeller interface. Nature. 2003;424:969-74 pubmed
- Rooney J, Gurpur P, Burkin D. Laminin-111 protein therapy prevents muscle disease in the mdx mouse model for Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:7991-6 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that laminin-111 is a highly potent therapeutic agent for the mdx mouse model of DMD and represents a paradigm for the systemic delivery of extracellular matrix proteins as therapies for genetic diseases...
- Cha S, Nagashima H, Brown V, Peck A, Humphreys Beher M. Two NOD Idd-associated intervals contribute synergistically to the development of autoimmune exocrinopathy (Sjögren's syndrome) on a healthy murine background. Arthritis Rheum. 2002;46:1390-8 pubmed..We propose that this murine model of SS-like disease be designated C57BL/6.NOD-Aec1Aec2. Identification of specific genes within the Aec1 and Aec2 genetic regions should help elucidate the mechanism(s) underlying SS-like disease. ..
- Kiyozumi D, Sugimoto N, Sekiguchi K. Breakdown of the reciprocal stabilization of QBRICK/Frem1, Fras1, and Frem2 at the basement membrane provokes Fraser syndrome-like defects. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:11981-6 pubmed
- Rautavuoma K, Takaluoma K, Sormunen R, Myllyharju J, Kivirikko K, Soininen R. Premature aggregation of type IV collagen and early lethality in lysyl hydroxylase 3 null mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:14120-5 pubmed..We propose that the premature aggregation of collagen IV is due to the absence of the hydroxylysine-linked carbohydrates, which thus play an essential role in its supramolecular assembly. ..
- Yao Y, Norris E, Mason C, Strickland S. Laminin regulates PDGFR?(+) cell stemness and muscle development. Nat Commun. 2016;7:11415 pubmed publisher..These data support a critical role of laminin in the regulation of PDGFR?(+) cell stemness, identify an innovative target for future drug development and may provide an effective treatment for muscular dystrophy. ..
- Kikkawa Y, Virtanen I, Miner J. Mesangial cells organize the glomerular capillaries by adhering to the G domain of laminin alpha5 in the glomerular basement membrane. J Cell Biol. 2003;161:187-96 pubmed..Our results elucidate a mechanism whereby mesangial cells organize the glomerular capillaries by adhering to the G domain of laminin alpha5 in the GBM. ..
- Sahlberg C, Hormia M, Airenne T, Thesleff I. Laminin gamma2 expression is developmentally regulated during murine tooth morphogenesis and is intense in ameloblasts. J Dent Res. 1998;77:1589-96 pubmed
- Li S, Liquari P, McKee K, Harrison D, Patel R, Lee S, et al. Laminin-sulfatide binding initiates basement membrane assembly and enables receptor signaling in Schwann cells and fibroblasts. J Cell Biol. 2005;169:179-89 pubmed..Collectively, our findings suggest that sulfated glycolipids are key Lm anchors that determine which cell surfaces can assemble Lms to initiate BM assembly and DG- and integrin-mediated signaling. ..
- Sasaki T, Takagi J, Giudici C, Yamada Y, Arikawa Hirasawa E, Deutzmann R, et al. Laminin-121--recombinant expression and interactions with integrins. Matrix Biol. 2010;29:484-93 pubmed publisher..Together, this suggests that the Î²2 laminins have higher affinity for integrins than the Î²1 laminins. ..
- Costa M, Kessaris N, Richardson W, Gotz M, Hedin Pereira C. The marginal zone/layer I as a novel niche for neurogenesis and gliogenesis in developing cerebral cortex. J Neurosci. 2007;27:11376-88 pubmed