Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: L1cam
Description: L1 cell adhesion molecule
Alias: CD171, N-CAM-L1, NCAM-L1, neural cell adhesion molecule L1
- Lopez Bendito G, Flames N, Ma L, Fouquet C, di Meglio T, Chedotal A, et al. Robo1 and Robo2 cooperate to control the guidance of major axonal tracts in the mammalian forebrain. J Neurosci. 2007;27:3395-407 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that Robo1 and Robo2 mostly cooperate to mediate the function of Slit proteins in guiding the major forebrain projections. ..
- Meech R, Kallunki P, Edelman G, Jones F. A binding site for homeodomain and Pax proteins is necessary for L1 cell adhesion molecule gene expression by Pax-6 and bone morphogenetic proteins. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:2420-5 pubmed..Collectively, our experiments indicate that the HPD regulates L1 expression in neural tissues via homeodomain and Pax proteins and is likely to be a target of BMP signaling during development. ..
- Islam S, Shinmyo Y, Okafuji T, Su Y, Naser I, Ahmed G, et al. Draxin, a repulsive guidance protein for spinal cord and forebrain commissures. Science. 2009;323:388-93 pubmed publisher..Thus, draxin is a previously unknown chemorepulsive axon guidance molecule required for the development of spinal cord and forebrain commissures. ..
- Deiner M, Kennedy T, Fazeli A, Serafini T, Tessier Lavigne M, Sretavan D. Netrin-1 and DCC mediate axon guidance locally at the optic disc: loss of function leads to optic nerve hypoplasia. Neuron. 1997;19:575-89 pubmed..Thus, netrin-1 through DCC appears to guide RGC axons locally at the optic disc rather than at long range, apparently reflecting the localization of netrin-1 protein to the vicinity of netrin-1-producing cells at the optic disc. ..
- Tapanes Castillo A, Weaver E, Smith R, Kamei Y, Caspary T, Hamilton Nelson K, et al. A modifier locus on chromosome 5 contributes to L1 cell adhesion molecule X-linked hydrocephalus in mice. Neurogenetics. 2010;11:53-71 pubmed publisherHumans with L1 cell adhesion molecule (L1CAM) mutations exhibit X-linked hydrocephalus, as well as other severe neurological disorders...
- Long H, Sabatier C, Ma L, Plump A, Yuan W, Ornitz D, et al. Conserved roles for Slit and Robo proteins in midline commissural axon guidance. Neuron. 2004;42:213-23 pubmed..These results demonstrate a key role for Slit/Robo signaling in midline commissural axon guidance in vertebrates. ..
- Roonprapunt C, Huang W, Grill R, Friedlander D, Grumet M, Chen S, et al. Soluble cell adhesion molecule L1-Fc promotes locomotor recovery in rats after spinal cord injury. J Neurotrauma. 2003;20:871-82 pubmed..Thus, L1 may be stimulating growth of other motor tracts or protecting axons and neurons. More studies are required to elucidate the mechanisms of L1-Fc-induced locomotor recovery. ..
- Molnar Z, Higashi S, Lopez Bendito G. Choreography of early thalamocortical development. Cereb Cortex. 2003;13:661-9 pubmed..We therefore suggest that intercellular communication mediated by constitutive secretion of transmitters or growth factors might play a dominant role during early thalamocortical development. ..
- Zhou L, Bar I, Achouri Y, Campbell K, De Backer O, Hebert J, et al. Early forebrain wiring: genetic dissection using conditional Celsr3 mutant mice. Science. 2008;320:946-9 pubmed publisher..These observations provide in vivo evidence that Celsr3-mediated interactions between axons and guidepost cells govern axonal tract formation in mammals. ..
- Lopez Bendito G, Cautinat A, Sanchez J, Bielle F, Flames N, Garratt A, et al. Tangential neuronal migration controls axon guidance: a role for neuregulin-1 in thalamocortical axon navigation. Cell. 2006;125:127-42 pubmed..These results show that neuronal tangential migration constitutes a novel mechanism to control the timely arrangement of guidance cues required for axonal tract formation in the mammalian brain. ..
- Sessa A, Mao C, Hadjantonakis A, Klein W, Broccoli V. Tbr2 directs conversion of radial glia into basal precursors and guides neuronal amplification by indirect neurogenesis in the developing neocortex. Neuron. 2008;60:56-69 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings identify Tbr2 as a critical factor for the specification of IPCs during corticogenesis. ..
- Denaxa M, Chan C, Schachner M, Parnavelas J, Karagogeos D. The adhesion molecule TAG-1 mediates the migration of cortical interneurons from the ganglionic eminence along the corticofugal fiber system. Development. 2001;128:4635-44 pubmed..These observations reveal a mechanism by which the adhesion molecule TAG-1, known to be involved in axonal pathfinding, also takes part in neuronal migration. ..
- De Angelis E, Watkins A, Schafer M, Brümmendorf T, Kenwrick S. Disease-associated mutations in L1 CAM interfere with ligand interactions and cell-surface expression. Hum Mol Genet. 2002;11:1-12 pubmedMutations in the L1CAM gene cause a highly variable neurological disease described as X-linked hydrocephalus, MASA syndrome or spastic paraplegia type I...
- Wiencken Barger A, Mavity Hudson J, Bartsch U, Schachner M, Casagrande V. The role of L1 in axon pathfinding and fasciculation. Cereb Cortex. 2004;14:121-31 pubmedThe neural cell adhesion molecule L1 has been found to play important roles in axon growth and fasciculation. Our main objective was to determine the role of L1 during the development of connections between thalamus and cortex...
- Djogo N, Jakovcevski I, Muller C, Lee H, Xu J, Jakovcevski M, et al. Adhesion molecule L1 binds to amyloid beta and reduces Alzheimer's disease pathology in mice. Neurobiol Dis. 2013;56:104-15 pubmed publisher..L1 thus appears to be a candidate molecule to ameliorate the pathology of AD, when applied in therapeutically viable treatment schemes. ..
- Castellani V, Chedotal A, Schachner M, Faivre Sarrailh C, Rougon G. Analysis of the L1-deficient mouse phenotype reveals cross-talk between Sema3A and L1 signaling pathways in axonal guidance. Neuron. 2000;27:237-49 pubmed
- Andrews W, Liapi A, Plachez C, Camurri L, Zhang J, Mori S, et al. Robo1 regulates the development of major axon tracts and interneuron migration in the forebrain. Development. 2006;133:2243-52 pubmed
- Powell A, Sassa T, Wu Y, Tessier Lavigne M, Polleux F. Topography of thalamic projections requires attractive and repulsive functions of Netrin-1 in the ventral telencephalon. PLoS Biol. 2008;6:e116 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that a long-range gradient of Netrin-1 acts as a counteracting force from ephrin-A5 to control the topography of TC projections before they enter the cortex. ..
- Holm J, Hillenbrand R, Steuber V, Bartsch U, Moos M, Lubbert H, et al. Structural features of a close homologue of L1 (CHL1) in the mouse: a new member of the L1 family of neural recognition molecules. Eur J Neurosci. 1996;8:1613-29 pubmed..Our findings suggest a common ancestral L1-like molecule which evolved via gene duplication to generate a diversity of structurally and functionally distinct yet similar molecules. ..
- Ahmed G, Shinmyo Y, Ohta K, Islam S, Hossain M, Naser I, et al. Draxin inhibits axonal outgrowth through the netrin receptor DCC. J Neurosci. 2011;31:14018-23 pubmed publisher..These results identify DCC as a convergent receptor for netrin and draxin in axon growth and guidance. ..
- SMITH K, Ohkubo Y, Maragnoli M, Rasin M, Schwartz M, Sestan N, et al. Midline radial glia translocation and corpus callosum formation require FGF signaling. Nat Neurosci. 2006;9:787-97 pubmed..Hence, FGFs have an important role in the transition from radial glia to astrocytes by stimulating somal translocation of radial glial cells. ..
- Matsugami T, Tanemura K, Mieda M, Nakatomi R, Yamada K, Kondo T, et al. From the Cover: Indispensability of the glutamate transporters GLAST and GLT1 to brain development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:12161-6 pubmed
- Kajimura D, Dragomir C, Ramirez F, Laub F. Identification of genes regulated by transcription factor KLF7 in differentiating olfactory sensory neurons. Gene. 2007;388:34-42 pubmed..Collectively, these results advance knowledge of transcriptional regulation of olfactory neurogenesis and KLF7 action. ..
- Cui Y, Hargus G, Xu J, Schmid J, Shen Y, Glatzel M, et al. Embryonic stem cell-derived L1 overexpressing neural aggregates enhance recovery in Parkinsonian mice. Brain. 2010;133:189-204 pubmed publisher..We have generated substrate-adherent embryonic stem cell-derived neural aggregates overexpressing the neural cell adhesion molecule L1, because it has shown beneficial functions after central nervous system injury...
- Guan H, Maness P. Perisomatic GABAergic innervation in prefrontal cortex is regulated by ankyrin interaction with the L1 cell adhesion molecule. Cereb Cortex. 2010;20:2684-93 pubmed publisher..These results suggest a novel role for L1 engagement with the actin cytoskeleton in development of inhibitory connectivity within the cingulate cortex. ..
- Bielle F, Marcos Mondejar P, Keita M, Mailhes C, Verney C, Nguyen Ba Charvet K, et al. Slit2 activity in the migration of guidepost neurons shapes thalamic projections during development and evolution. Neuron. 2011;69:1085-98 pubmed publisher..Our study reveals that subtle differences in the migration of conserved intermediate target neurons trigger large-scale changes in thalamic connectivity, and opens perspectives on Slit functions and the evolution of brain wiring. ..
- Law J, Lee A, Sun M, Nikonenko A, Chung S, Dityatev A, et al. Decreased anxiety, altered place learning, and increased CA1 basal excitatory synaptic transmission in mice with conditional ablation of the neural cell adhesion molecule L1. J Neurosci. 2003;23:10419-32 pubmed
- Thelin J, Waldenström A, Bartsch U, Schachner M, Schouenborg J. Heat nociception is severely reduced in a mutant mouse deficient for the L1 adhesion molecule. Brain Res. 2003;965:75-82 pubmed
- Bishop K, Garel S, Nakagawa Y, Rubenstein J, O Leary D. Emx1 and Emx2 cooperate to regulate cortical size, lamination, neuronal differentiation, development of cortical efferents, and thalamocortical pathfinding. J Comp Neurol. 2003;457:345-60 pubmed..The more severe phenotypes in Emx double mutants suggest that Emx1 and Emx2 cooperate to regulate multiple features of cortical development. ..
- Fransen E, D Hooge R, Van Camp G, Verhoye M, Sijbers J, Reyniers E, et al. L1 knockout mice show dilated ventricles, vermis hypoplasia and impaired exploration patterns. Hum Mol Genet. 1998;7:999-1009 pubmed..Additionally, the cerebellar vermis of the KO mice is hypoplastic. Their exploratory behavior is characterized by stereotype peripheral circling reminiscent of that of rodents with induced cerebellar lesions. ..
- Demyanenko G, Tsai A, Maness P. Abnormalities in neuronal process extension, hippocampal development, and the ventricular system of L1 knockout mice. J Neurosci. 1999;19:4907-20 pubmed..The phenotype of the L1 mutant mouse indicates that it is a potentially valuable model for the human CRASH syndrome. ..
- Haney C, Sahenk Z, Li C, Lemmon V, Roder J, Trapp B. Heterophilic binding of L1 on unmyelinated sensory axons mediates Schwann cell adhesion and is required for axonal survival. J Cell Biol. 1999;146:1173-84 pubmed
- Lopez Bendito G, Chan C, Mallamaci A, Parnavelas J, Molnar Z. Role of Emx2 in the development of the reciprocal connectivity between cortex and thalamus. J Comp Neurol. 2002;451:153-69 pubmed..These defects might result in the altered and delayed arrival of thalamic projections to the cortex and, thus, contribute to the shifted thalamocortical matching previously observed in the Emx2 knockout mice. ..
- Kleene R, Yang H, Kutsche M, Schachner M. The neural recognition molecule L1 is a sialic acid-binding lectin for CD24, which induces promotion and inhibition of neurite outgrowth. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:21656-63 pubmed..This glycoform is excluded together with L1 from raft microdomains, suggesting that molecular compartmentation in the surface membrane could play a role in signal transduction. ..
- Dahme M, Bartsch U, Martini R, Anliker B, Schachner M, Mantei N. Disruption of the mouse L1 gene leads to malformations of the nervous system. Nat Genet. 1997;17:346-9 pubmed..In vitro, neurite outgrowth on an L1 substrate and fasciculation were impaired. The mutant mouse described here will help to elucidate the functions of L1 in the nervous system and how these depend on genetic influences. ..
- Bechara A, Nawabi H, Moret F, Yaron A, Weaver E, Bozon M, et al. FAK-MAPK-dependent adhesion disassembly downstream of L1 contributes to semaphorin3A-induced collapse. EMBO J. 2008;27:1549-62 pubmed publisher..This reveals that specific signalling activities downstream of L1 and Plexin-As cooperate for mediating the axon guidance effects of Sema3A. ..
- Wang S, Kutsche M, DiSciullo G, Schachner M, Bogen S. Selective malformation of the splenic white pulp border in L1-deficient mice. J Immunol. 2000;165:2465-73 pubmed..Moreover, these findings help define the poorly characterized sinusoidal boundary across which mononuclear cells cross to enter the splenic white pulp. ..
- Itoh K, Fushiki S, Kamiguchi H, Arnold B, Altevogt P, Lemmon V. Disrupted Schwann cell-axon interactions in peripheral nerves of mice with altered L1-integrin interactions. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2005;30:624-9 pubmed..Taken together, it is likely that L1 on axons binds integrins on Schwann cells, resulting in interactions between axons and Schwann cells that are essential for ensheathment and myelination. ..
- Itoh K, Fushiki S, Kamiguchi H, Arnold B, Altevogt P, Lemmon V. Disrupted Schwann cell-axon interactions in peripheral nerves of mice with altered L1-integrin interactions. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2005;30:131-6 pubmed..Taken together, it is likely that L1 on axons binds integrins on Schwann cells, resulting in interactions between axons and Schwann cells that are essential for ensheathment and myelination. ..
- Kalus I, Schnegelsberg B, Seidah N, Kleene R, Schachner M. The proprotein convertase PC5A and a metalloprotease are involved in the proteolytic processing of the neural adhesion molecule L1. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:10381-8 pubmed..L1-dependent neurite outgrowth of cerebellar neurons was inhibited by GM 6001, suggesting that proteolytic processing of L1 by a metalloprotease is involved in neurite outgrowth. ..
- Rünker A, Bartsch U, Nave K, Schachner M. The C264Y missense mutation in the extracellular domain of L1 impairs protein trafficking in vitro and in vivo. J Neurosci. 2003;23:277-86 pubmedThe neural cell adhesion molecule L1, a member of the immunoglobulin superfamily, performs important functions in the developing and adult nervous system and is implicated in neuronal migration and survival, elongation, fasciculation and ..
- Sakurai T, Lustig M, Babiarz J, Furley A, Tait S, Brophy P, et al. Overlapping functions of the cell adhesion molecules Nr-CAM and L1 in cerebellar granule cell development. J Cell Biol. 2001;154:1259-73 pubmed..The combined results indicate that Nr-CAM and L1 play a role in cerebellar granule cell development, and suggest that closely related molecules in the L1 family have overlapping functions. ..
- Kohl A, Giese K, Mohajeri M, Montag D, Moos M, Schachner M. Analysis of promoter activity and 5' genomic structure of the neural cell adhesion molecule L1. J Neurosci Res. 1992;32:167-77 pubmedTo gain insight into the molecular mechanisms underlying the regulation of expression of the neural cell adhesion molecule L1 and into the exon-intron structure of the L1 gene, a genomic clone from the mouse was characterized...
- Itoh K, Cheng L, Kamei Y, Fushiki S, Kamiguchi H, Gutwein P, et al. Brain development in mice lacking L1-L1 homophilic adhesion. J Cell Biol. 2004;165:145-54 pubmed
- Miura M, Kobayashi M, Asou H, Uyemura K. Molecular cloning of cDNA encoding the rat neural cell adhesion molecule L1. Two L1 isoforms in the cytoplasmic region are produced by differential splicing. FEBS Lett. 1991;289:91-5 pubmedWe have isolated and sequenced a full-length cDNA encoding the rat neural cell adhesion molecule L1. The deduced amino acid sequence as a whole shows high homology to mouse L1 sequence...
- Faulkner R, Low L, Liu X, Coble J, Jones E, Cheng H. Dorsal turning of motor corticospinal axons at the pyramidal decussation requires plexin signaling. Neural Dev. 2008;3:21 pubmed publisher..Together with previous reports, these results demonstrate that several guidance cues are specifically utilized to regulate the dorsal turning and midline crossing of developing CST axons. ..
- Barnes A, Lilley B, Pan Y, Plummer L, Powell A, Raines A, et al. LKB1 and SAD kinases define a pathway required for the polarization of cortical neurons. Cell. 2007;129:549-63 pubmed..Thus, we provide evidence in vivo and in vitro for a multikinase pathway that links extracellular signals to the intracellular machinery required for axon specification. ..
- Hillenbrand R, Molthagen M, Montag D, Schachner M. The close homologue of the neural adhesion molecule L1 (CHL1): patterns of expression and promotion of neurite outgrowth by heterophilic interactions. Eur J Neurosci. 1999;11:813-26 pubmed..The observation that CHL1 and L1 show overlapping, but also distinct patterns of synthesis in neurons and glia, suggests differential effects of L1-like molecules on neurite outgrowth. ..
- Jaworski A, Long H, Tessier Lavigne M. Collaborative and specialized functions of Robo1 and Robo2 in spinal commissural axon guidance. J Neurosci. 2010;30:9445-53 pubmed publisher..In contrast, Robo1 prevents axonal stalling after crossing. Our results reveal specialized and complementary actions of Robo1 and Robo2 in commissural axon guidance and suggest the existence of an as yet unidentified Slit receptor. ..
- Birgbauer E, Cowan C, Sretavan D, Henkemeyer M. Kinase independent function of EphB receptors in retinal axon pathfinding to the optic disc from dorsal but not ventral retina. Development. 2000;127:1231-41 pubmed..Thus, while Eph kinase function is involved in RGC axon mapping in the brain, RGC axon pathfinding within the retina is partially mediated by EphB receptors acting in a kinase-independent manner. ..
- Guseva D, Zerwas M, Xiao M, Jakovcevski I, Irintchev A, Schachner M. Adhesion molecule L1 overexpressed under the control of the neuronal Thy-1 promoter improves myelination after peripheral nerve injury in adult mice. Exp Neurol. 2011;229:339-52 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that L1 is a regulator of myelination in the injured PNS and warrant studies aiming to improve function in demyelinating PNS and CNS disorders using exogenous L1. ..
- Castellani V, Falk J, Rougon G. Semaphorin3A-induced receptor endocytosis during axon guidance responses is mediated by L1 CAM. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2004;26:89-100 pubmed..They also reveal that endocytosis controlled by L1/NP-1 cis and trans interactions is pivotal in Sema3A-mediated axon guidance. ..
- Moos M, Tacke R, Scherer H, Teplow D, Fruh K, Schachner M. Neural adhesion molecule L1 as a member of the immunoglobulin superfamily with binding domains similar to fibronectin. Nature. 1988;334:701-3 pubmed..It contains six C2 domains and also shares three type III domains with the extracellular matrix adhesion molecule fibronectin. ..
- Cheng L, Lemmon V. Pathological missense mutations of neural cell adhesion molecule L1 affect neurite outgrowth and branching on an L1 substrate. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2004;27:522-30 pubmedA number of pathological missense mutations of L1CAM have been shown to disrupt L1-L1 homophilic binding and/or affect surface expression...
- Wu C, Zhu J, Wager Miller J, Wang S, O LEARY D, Monory K, et al. Requirement of cannabinoid CB(1) receptors in cortical pyramidal neurons for appropriate development of corticothalamic and thalamocortical projections. Eur J Neurosci. 2010;32:693-706 pubmed publisher..These findings are important in understanding the long-term consequences of alterations in CB(1)R activity during development, a potential etiology for the mental health disorders linked to prenatal cannabis use. ..
- Moscoso L, Sanes J. Expression of four immunoglobulin superfamily adhesion molecules (L1, Nr-CAM/Bravo, neurofascin/ABGP, and N-CAM) in the developing mouse spinal cord. J Comp Neurol. 1995;352:321-34 pubmed..Finally, we show that each CAM has a distinct spatiotemporal pattern of expression in dorsal root ganglia. ..
- Kallunki P, Edelman G, Jones F. Tissue-specific expression of the L1 cell adhesion molecule is modulated by the neural restrictive silencer element. J Cell Biol. 1997;138:1343-54 pubmed..These experiments show that the NRSE and REST/NRSF are important components in restricting L1 expression to the embryonic nervous system. ..
- Demyanenko G, Maness P. The L1 cell adhesion molecule is essential for topographic mapping of retinal axons. J Neurosci. 2003;23:530-8 pubmed..Results suggest that retinal axons require the function of L1 in addition to repellent EphA guidance receptors to achieve proper topographic mapping. ..
- Tuttle R, Nakagawa Y, Johnson J, O Leary D. Defects in thalamocortical axon pathfinding correlate with altered cell domains in Mash-1-deficient mice. Development. 1999;126:1903-16 pubmed..In addition, these findings support the hypothesis that ventral telencephalic neurons and their axons guide TCAs through ventral thalamus and into ventral telencephalon. ..
- Britanova O, de Juan Romero C, Cheung A, Kwan K, Schwark M, Gyorgy A, et al. Satb2 is a postmitotic determinant for upper-layer neuron specification in the neocortex. Neuron. 2008;57:378-92 pubmed publisher..Satb2 therefore is required for the initiation of the UL1-specific genetic program and for the inactivation of DL- and UL2-specific genes. ..
- Kadison S, Murakami F, Matise M, Kaprielian Z. The role of floor plate contact in the elaboration of contralateral commissural projections within the embryonic mouse spinal cord. Dev Biol. 2006;296:499-513 pubmed..Thus, compared to FP contact, Slit-Robo interactions are more critical for driving commissural axons out of the VM and facilitating the elaboration of a subset of contralateral commissural projections. ..
- Rolf B, Kutsche M, Bartsch U. Severe hydrocephalus in L1-deficient mice. Brain Res. 2001;891:247-52 pubmed
- Demyanenko G, Shibata Y, Maness P. Altered distribution of dopaminergic neurons in the brain of L1 null mice. Brain Res Dev Brain Res. 2001;126:21-30 pubmed..zone and migrate radially along radial glia then tangentially along nerve fibers that express the neural cell adhesion molecule L1 to form the substantia nigra (A9 group) and ventral tegmental area (VTA) (A10 group)...
- Chen J, Bernreuther C, Dihné M, Schachner M. Cell adhesion molecule l1-transfected embryonic stem cells with enhanced survival support regrowth of corticospinal tract axons in mice after spinal cord injury. J Neurotrauma. 2005;22:896-906 pubmed..Their use could condition the inhibitory environment for homophilic L1-enhanced axon regrowth not only in spinal cord regeneration, but also in other lesion paradigms. ..
- Pan L, Yang Z, Feng L, Gan L. Functional equivalence of Brn3 POU-domain transcription factors in mouse retinal neurogenesis. Development. 2005;132:703-12 pubmed..These results indicate that Brn3 factors are functionally equal and that their unique roles in neurogenesis are determined by the distinctive Brn3 spatiotemporal expression patterns. ..
- Cohen N, Taylor J, Scott L, Guillery R, Soriano P, Furley A. Errors in corticospinal axon guidance in mice lacking the neural cell adhesion molecule L1. Curr Biol. 1998;8:26-33 pubmed..Some of the defects in the corticospinal tract of humans with mutations in L1 could be due to errors in axon guidance at the pyramidal decussation. ..
- Ruppert M, Aigner S, Hubbe M, Yagita H, Altevogt P. The L1 adhesion molecule is a cellular ligand for VLA-5. J Cell Biol. 1995;131:1881-91 pubmed..Given its rapid downregulation on lymphocytes after induction of cell proliferation, L1 may be important in integrin-mediated and activation-regulated cell-cell interactions. ..
- Chalepakis G, Wijnholds J, Giese P, Schachner M, Gruss P. Characterization of Pax-6 and Hoxa-1 binding to the promoter region of the neural cell adhesion molecule L1. DNA Cell Biol. 1994;13:891-900 pubmedThe neural cell adhesion molecule L1, a member of the immunoglobulin superfamily, mediates cell interactions in the developing and regenerating nervous system of mammals and is also detectable in the immune system and in the epithelia of ..
- Loers G, Chen S, Grumet M, Schachner M. Signal transduction pathways implicated in neural recognition molecule L1 triggered neuroprotection and neuritogenesis. J Neurochem. 2005;92:1463-76 pubmed..These observations suggest possibilities of differentially targeting signal transduction pathways for L1-dependent neuritogenesis and neuroprotection. ..
- Jones L, Lopez Bendito G, Gruss P, Stoykova A, Molnar Z. Pax6 is required for the normal development of the forebrain axonal connections. Development. 2002;129:5041-52 pubmed
- Kowitz A, Kadmon G, Eckert M, Schirrmacher V, Schachner M, Altevogt P. Expression and function of the neural cell adhesion molecule L1 in mouse leukocytes. Eur J Immunol. 1992;22:1199-205 pubmedThe neural cell adhesion molecule L1 is a cell surface glycoprotein of the immunoglobulin superfamily which mediates adhesion between neural cells...