Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Krt17
Description: keratin 17
Alias: K17, Krt1-17, keratin, type I cytoskeletal 17, CK-17, cytokeratin-17, keratin complex 1, acidic, gene 17
- McGowan K, Tong X, Colucci Guyon E, Langa F, Babinet C, Coulombe P. Keratin 17 null mice exhibit age- and strain-dependent alopecia. Genes Dev. 2002;16:1412-22 pubmedOnset of type I keratin 17 (K17) synthesis marks the adoption of an appendageal fate within embryonic ectoderm, and its expression persists in specific cell types within mature hair, glands, and nail...
- Vidal V, Chaboissier M, Lützkendorf S, Cotsarelis G, Mill P, Hui C, et al. Sox9 is essential for outer root sheath differentiation and the formation of the hair stem cell compartment. Curr Biol. 2005;15:1340-51 pubmed..Our genetic analysis places Sox9 in a molecular cascade downstream of sonic hedgehog and suggests that this gene is involved in basal cell carcinoma. ..
- Pan X, Kane L, Van Eyk J, Coulombe P. Type I keratin 17 protein is phosphorylated on serine 44 by p90 ribosomal protein S6 kinase 1 (RSK1) in a growth- and stress-dependent fashion. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:42403-13 pubmed publisherKeratin 17 (K17) is a type I intermediate filament protein that is constitutively expressed in ectoderm-derived epithelial appendages and robustly induced in epidermis following injury, during inflammation, and in chronic diseases such ..
- Estrach S, Cordes R, Hozumi K, Gossler A, Watt F. Role of the Notch ligand Delta1 in embryonic and adult mouse epidermis. J Invest Dermatol. 2008;128:825-32 pubmed..As in the hypomorph, IFE proliferation was stimulated and expression of K10 and K17 was disturbed. Older mice developed tumors with elements of IFE differentiation...
- Mill P, Mo R, Hu M, Dagnino L, Rosenblum N, Hui C. Shh controls epithelial proliferation via independent pathways that converge on N-Myc. Dev Cell. 2005;9:293-303 pubmed..These findings demonstrate that Shh signaling controls the rapid and patterned expansion of epithelial progenitors through convergent Gli-mediated regulation. ..
- Veniaminova N, Vagnozzi A, Kopinke D, Do T, Murtaugh L, Maillard I, et al. Keratin 79 identifies a novel population of migratory epithelial cells that initiates hair canal morphogenesis and regeneration. Development. 2013;140:4870-80 pubmed publisher..Our findings uncover previously unappreciated long-distance cell movements throughout the life cycle of the hair follicle, and suggest a novel mechanism by which the follicle generates its hollow core through outward cell migration. ..
- Romano R, Smalley K, Liu S, Sinha S. Abnormal hair follicle development and altered cell fate of follicular keratinocytes in transgenic mice expressing DeltaNp63alpha. Development. 2010;137:1431-9 pubmed publisher..Our data provide evidence supporting a role for DeltaNp63alpha in actively suppressing hair follicle differentiation and directing IFE cell lineage commitment. ..
- Lin M, Kopan R. Long-range, nonautonomous effects of activated Notch1 on tissue homeostasis in the nail. Dev Biol. 2003;263:343-59 pubmed..These data support the existence of a novel, cell-nonautonomous role for Notch in maintaining homeostasis of stratified squamous epithelia by indirectly promoting mitosis in basally located cells...
- Steinert P, Rice R, Roop D, Trus B, Steven A. Complete amino acid sequence of a mouse epidermal keratin subunit and implications for the structure of intermediate filaments. Nature. 1983;302:794-800 pubmed
- Tong X, Coulombe P. A novel mouse type I intermediate filament gene, keratin 17n (K17n), exhibits preferred expression in nail tissue. J Invest Dermatol. 2004;122:965-70 pubmed..16:1412, 2002). Missense mutations in human K17 give rise to two dominantly inherited disorders apparented to ectodermal dysplasias, pachyonychia congenita (PC), ..
- Hosoya A, Kwak S, Kim E, Lunny D, Lane E, Cho S, et al. Immunohistochemical localization of cytokeratins in the junctional region of ectoderm and endoderm. Anat Rec (Hoboken). 2010;293:1864-72 pubmed publisher..These results also suggest that these cytokeratins are useful molecules for monitoring the epithelial cell differentiation in the junctional region of the germ layers...
- Hua Z, Chang H, Wang Y, Smallwood P, Nathans J. Partial interchangeability of Fz3 and Fz6 in tissue polarity signaling for epithelial orientation and axon growth and guidance. Development. 2014;141:3944-54 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these experiments provide compelling evidence for a close mechanistic relationship between multiple anatomically diverse polarity processes. ..
- Jin J, Warner D, Lu Q, Pisano M, Greene R, Ding J. Deciphering TGF-?3 function in medial edge epithelium specification and fusion during mouse secondary palate development. Dev Dyn. 2014;243:1536-43 pubmed publisher..In addition, cytokeratin 6? and 17 are two TGF-?3 downstream target genes in palate medial edge epithelium differentiation. ..
- Adolphe C, Nieuwenhuis E, Villani R, Li Z, Kaur P, Hui C, et al. Patched 1 and patched 2 redundancy has a key role in regulating epidermal differentiation. J Invest Dermatol. 2014;134:1981-1990 pubmed publisher..In general, our findings implicate Ptch receptor redundancy as a key issue in elucidating the cellular origin of Hh-induced tumors. ..
- Chen J, Laclef C, Moncayo A, Snedecor E, Yang N, Li L, et al. The ciliopathy gene Rpgrip1l is essential for hair follicle development. J Invest Dermatol. 2015;135:701-709 pubmed publisher..This study indicates that RPGRIP1L, a ciliopathy gene, is essential for hair follicle morphogenesis likely through regulating primary cilia formation and the hedgehog signaling pathway. ..
- Sato H, Koide T, Sagai T, Ishiguro S, Tamai M, Saitou N, et al. The genomic organization of type I keratin genes in mice. Genomics. 1999;56:303-9 pubmed
- Saunders S, Goh C, Brown S, Palmer C, Porter R, Cole C, et al. Tmem79/Matt is the matted mouse gene and is a predisposing gene for atopic dermatitis in human subjects. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2013;132:1121-9 pubmed publisher..In mice mutations in Matt cause a defective skin barrier and spontaneous dermatitis and atopy. A common SNP in MATT has an association with AD in human subjects. ..
- Jin C, Chen J, Meng Q, Carreira V, Tam N, Geh E, et al. Deciphering gene expression program of MAP3K1 in mouse eyelid morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2013;374:96-107 pubmed publisher..Using LCM and expression array, our studies have uncovered novel molecular signatures of MAP3K1 in embryonic eyelid closure. ..
- Chung B, Arutyunov A, Ilagan E, Yao N, Wills Karp M, Coulombe P. Regulation of C-X-C chemokine gene expression by keratin 17 and hnRNP K in skin tumor keratinocytes. J Cell Biol. 2015;208:613-27 pubmed publisherHigh levels of the intermediate filament keratin 17 (K17) correlate with a poor prognosis for several types of epithelial tumors. However, the causal relationship and underlying mechanisms remain undefined...
- Chiang C, Swan R, Grachtchouk M, Bolinger M, Litingtung Y, Robertson E, et al. Essential role for Sonic hedgehog during hair follicle morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 1999;205:1-9 pubmed..Our findings reveal an essential role for Shh during hair follicle morphogenesis, where it is required for normal advancement beyond the hair germ stage of development...
- Bianchi N, DePianto D, McGowan K, Gu C, Coulombe P. Exploiting the keratin 17 gene promoter to visualize live cells in epithelial appendages of mice. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:7249-59 pubmed..results in loss of GFP fluorescence in most appendages in vivo, suggesting that sonic hedgehog participates in K17 regulation...
- Taylor D, Bubier J, Silva K, Sundberg J. Development, structure, and keratin expression in C57BL/6J mouse eccrine glands. Vet Pathol. 2012;49:146-54 pubmed publisher..In 16.5 and 18.5 DPC embryos, K14 and K17 were both expressed in the stratum basale and diffusely in the gland anlagen...
- McGowan K, Coulombe P. Keratin 17 expression in the hard epithelial context of the hair and nail, and its relevance for the pachyonychia congenita phenotype. J Invest Dermatol. 2000;114:1101-7 pubmed..of the murine hair shaft displays a positive immunoreactivity with an antibody against the soft epithelial keratin, K17. The K17-expressing cell population is located in the medulla compartment of the hair...
- Croyle M, Lehman J, O Connor A, Wong S, Malarkey E, Iribarne D, et al. Role of epidermal primary cilia in the homeostasis of skin and hair follicles. Development. 2011;138:1675-85 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data indicate that epidermal primary cilia may function in stress responses and epidermal homeostasis involving pathways other than those typically associated with primary cilia. ..
- Huelsken J, Vogel R, Erdmann B, Cotsarelis G, Birchmeier W. beta-Catenin controls hair follicle morphogenesis and stem cell differentiation in the skin. Cell. 2001;105:533-45 pubmed..Further analysis demonstrates that beta-catenin is essential for fate decisions of skin stem cells: in the absence of beta-catenin, stem cells fail to differentiate into follicular keratinocytes, but instead adopt an epidermal fate. ..
- Chen J, Roop D. Mouse models in preclinical studies for pachyonychia congenita. J Investig Dermatol Symp Proc. 2005;10:37-46 pubmed..Here, we review the existing mouse models involving the keratin genes (K6a, K6b, K16, and K17) that cause the human genetic disorder pachyonychia congenita (PC)...
- Richardson R, Dixon J, Jiang R, Dixon M. Integration of IRF6 and Jagged2 signalling is essential for controlling palatal adhesion and fusion competence. Hum Mol Genet. 2009;18:2632-42 pubmed publisher..We further demonstrate that IRF6 plays a key role in the formation and maintenance of the oral periderm, spatio-temporal regulation of which is essential for ensuring appropriate palatal adhesion. ..
- Philippar U, Schratt G, Dieterich C, Müller J, Galgoczy P, Engel F, et al. The SRF target gene Fhl2 antagonizes RhoA/MAL-dependent activation of SRF. Mol Cell. 2004;16:867-80 pubmed..Our findings identify an autoregulatory mechanism to selectively regulate subsets of RhoA-activated SRF target genes. ..
- Hobbs R, Batazzi A, Han M, Coulombe P. Loss of Keratin 17 induces tissue-specific cytokine polarization and cellular differentiation in HPV16-driven cervical tumorigenesis in vivo. Oncogene. 2016;35:5653-5662 pubmed publisher..The cytoskeletal protein Keratin 17 (KRT17;K17) is robustly expressed in a broad array of carcinomas, including in cervical tumors, where it has both ..
- Olson L, Zhang J, Taylor H, Rose D, Rosenfeld M. Barx2 functions through distinct corepressor classes to regulate hair follicle remodeling. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:3708-13 pubmed..Together, our data suggest that the hair-remodeling defect of Barx2 mutant mice could be explained, in part, by failure to repress one or more critical target genes. ..
- Sankar S, Tanner J, Bell R, Chaturvedi A, Randall R, Beckerle M, et al. A novel role for keratin 17 in coordinating oncogenic transformation and cellular adhesion in Ewing sarcoma. Mol Cell Biol. 2013;33:4448-60 pubmed publisher..In this work, we identify keratin 17 (KRT17) as a direct downstream target gene upregulated by GLI1...
- Wong P, Domergue R, Coulombe P. Overcoming functional redundancy to elicit pachyonychia congenita-like nail lesions in transgenic mice. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:197-205 pubmed..Most cases of PC are due to mutations in one of the following keratin-encoding genes: K6, K16, and K17. Yet null alleles obliterating the function of both K6 genes (K6alpha and K6beta) or the K17 gene, as well as the ..
- Pan Y, Lin M, Tian X, Cheng H, Gridley T, Shen J, et al. gamma-secretase functions through Notch signaling to maintain skin appendages but is not required for their patterning or initial morphogenesis. Dev Cell. 2004;7:731-43 pubmed
- Cui C, Hashimoto T, Grivennikov S, Piao Y, Nedospasov S, Schlessinger D. Ectodysplasin regulates the lymphotoxin-beta pathway for hair differentiation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:9142-7 pubmed..Thus, as an EDA target, LTbeta regulates the form of hair in developing hair follicles; and when EDA is defective, failure of LTbeta activation can account for part of the Ta phenotype. ..
- Menoret A, Kumar S, Vella A. Cytochrome b5 and cytokeratin 17 are biomarkers in bronchoalveolar fluid signifying onset of acute lung injury. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e40184 pubmed publisher..platform permitted comparative analysis of proteomic maps and mass spectrometry identified cytochrome b5 and cytokeratin 17 in BAL fluid of mice challenged with S. aureus enterotoxin A...
- Nijhof J, Braun K, Giangreco A, van Pelt C, Kawamoto H, Boyd R, et al. The cell-surface marker MTS24 identifies a novel population of follicular keratinocytes with characteristics of progenitor cells. Development. 2006;133:3027-37 pubmed..Taken together, these data suggest that the cell-surface marker MTS24 identifies a new reservoir of hair follicle keratinocytes with a proliferative capacity and gene expression profile suggestive of progenitor or stem cells. ..
- Khanom R, Nguyen C, Kayamori K, Zhao X, Morita K, Miki Y, et al. Keratin 17 Is Induced in Oral Cancer and Facilitates Tumor Growth. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0161163 pubmed publisher..b>KRT17 (keratin 17) is induced in the regenerative epithelium and acts on diverse signaling pathways...
- Nieuwenhuis E, Barnfield P, Makino S, Hui C. Epidermal hyperplasia and expansion of the interfollicular stem cell compartment in mutant mice with a C-terminal truncation of Patched1. Dev Biol. 2007;308:547-60 pubmed..Increased expression of regulators of epidermal homeostasis, c-Myc and p63, was also observed in Ptc1(mes/mes) adult skin. These results suggest that the CTD of Ptc1 is involved in regulating epidermal homeostasis in mature skin. ..
- Osorio K, Lilja K, Tumbar T. Runx1 modulates adult hair follicle stem cell emergence and maintenance from distinct embryonic skin compartments. J Cell Biol. 2011;193:235-50 pubmed publisher..Thus, a master regulator of hematopoiesis also controls HFSC emergence and maintenance via modulation of bidirectional cross talking between nascent stem cells and their niche. ..
- Lee M, Lim D, Kim M, Lee S, Shin S, Kim J, et al. Genetic ablation of caspase-7 promotes solar-simulated light-induced mouse skin carcinogenesis: the involvement of keratin-17. Carcinogenesis. 2015;36:1372-80 pubmed publisher..Overall, our study demonstrates that genetic loss of caspase-7 promotes SSL-induced skin carcinogenesis by blocking caspase-7-mediated cleavage of keratin-17. ..
- Liao C, Xie G, Zhu L, Chen X, Li X, Lu H, et al. p53 Is a Direct Transcriptional Repressor of Keratin 17: Lessons from a Rat Model of Radiation Dermatitis. J Invest Dermatol. 2016;136:680-689 pubmed publisherThe intermediate filament protein keratin 17 (Krt17) shows highly dynamic and inducible expression in skin physiology and pathology...
- Kousa Y, Moussa D, Schutte B. IRF6 expression in basal epithelium partially rescues Irf6 knockout mice. Dev Dyn. 2017;246:670-681 pubmed publisher..In this work, we show that altering the expression level of IRF6 dramatically modified this phenotype in utero. Developmental Dynamics 246:670-681, 2017. © 2017 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. ..
- Liu Y, Snedecor E, Choi Y, Yang N, Zhang X, Xu Y, et al. Gorab Is Required for Dermal Condensate Cells to Respond to Hedgehog Signals during Hair Follicle Morphogenesis. J Invest Dermatol. 2016;136:378-386 pubmed publisher..Thus, data obtained from this study provided insight into the biological functions of Gorab during embryonic morphogenesis of the skin in which Hh signaling and primary cilia exert important functions. ..
- Chen D, Jarrell A, Guo C, Lang R, Atit R. Dermal ?-catenin activity in response to epidermal Wnt ligands is required for fibroblast proliferation and hair follicle initiation. Development. 2012;139:1522-33 pubmed publisher..These data reveal functional roles for dermal Wnt signaling/?-catenin in fibroblast proliferation and in the epidermal hair follicle initiation program. ..
- Lessard J, Piña Paz S, Rotty J, Hickerson R, Kaspar R, Balmain A, et al. Keratin 16 regulates innate immunity in response to epidermal barrier breach. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:19537-42 pubmed publisher..Our results uncover a role for Krt16 in regulating epithelial inflammation that is relevant to genodermatoses, psoriasis, and cancer and suggest a avenue for the therapeutic management of PC and related disorders. ..
- Niimori D, Kawano R, Felemban A, Niimori Kita K, Tanaka H, Ihn H, et al. Tsukushi controls the hair cycle by regulating TGF-?1 signaling. Dev Biol. 2012;372:81-7 pubmed publisher..Biochemical analysis indicates that TSK directly binds to TGF-?1. Our data suggest that TSK controls the hair cycle by regulating TGF-?1 signaling. ..
- Landin M, Shabestari M, Babaie E, Reseland J, Osmundsen H. Gene Expression Profiling during Murine Tooth Development. Front Genet. 2012;3:139 pubmed publisher..Bioinformatic analysis associated the 87 genes with multiple biological functions. Around 35 genes were associated with 15 transcription factors. ..
- Mill P, Mo R, Fu H, Grachtchouk M, Kim P, Dlugosz A, et al. Sonic hedgehog-dependent activation of Gli2 is essential for embryonic hair follicle development. Genes Dev. 2003;17:282-94 pubmed..Together, our results suggest that Shh-dependent Gli2 activation plays a critical role in epithelial homeostasis by promoting proliferation through the transcriptional control of cell cycle regulators. ..
- Thomason H, Zhou H, Kouwenhoven E, Dotto G, Restivo G, Nguyen B, et al. Cooperation between the transcription factors p63 and IRF6 is essential to prevent cleft palate in mice. J Clin Invest. 2010;120:1561-9 pubmed publisher..Our findings therefore identify p63 as a key regulatory molecule during palate development and provide a mechanism for the cooperative role of p63 and IRF6 in orofacial development in mice and humans. ..
- Mazzalupo S, Wong P, Martin P, Coulombe P. Role for keratins 6 and 17 during wound closure in embryonic mouse skin. Dev Dyn. 2003;226:356-65 pubmed..is a rapid switch in gene expression whereby the type II keratin 6 (K6) and type I keratins 16 and 17 (K16, K17) are induced in epithelial cells at the wound edge...
- Svärd J, Heby Henricson K, Henricson K, Persson Lek M, Rozell B, Lauth M, et al. Genetic elimination of Suppressor of fused reveals an essential repressor function in the mammalian Hedgehog signaling pathway. Dev Cell. 2006;10:187-97 pubmed..Our data demonstrate that, in striking contrast to Drosophila, in mammals, Sufu has a central role, and its loss of function leads to potent ligand-independent activation of the Hh pathway. ..
- Richardson R, Hammond N, Coulombe P, Saloranta C, Nousiainen H, Salonen R, et al. Periderm prevents pathological epithelial adhesions during embryogenesis. J Clin Invest. 2014;124:3891-900 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, this study suggests that failure of periderm formation underlies a series of devastating birth defects, including popliteal pterygium syndrome, cocoon syndrome, and Bartsocas-Papas syndrome. ..
- Zhang W, Dang E, Shi X, Jin L, Feng Z, Hu L, et al. The pro-inflammatory cytokine IL-22 up-regulates keratin 17 expression in keratinocytes via STAT3 and ERK1/2. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e40797 pubmed publisherTo investigate the regulation of K17 expression by the pro-inflammatory cytokine IL-22 in keratinocytes and its important role in our previously hypothesized "K17/T cell/cytokine autoimmune loop" in psoriasis.
- Vaziri Sani F, Kaartinen V, El Shahawy M, Linde A, Gritli Linde A. Developmental changes in cellular and extracellular structural macromolecules in the secondary palate and in the nasal cavity of the mouse. Eur J Oral Sci. 2010;118:221-36 pubmed publisher..The hitherto-unknown innervation pattern of the developing palate was revealed. These findings may be of value for unravelling the pathogenesis of palatal clefting. ..
- Nieuwenhuis E, Motoyama J, Barnfield P, Yoshikawa Y, Zhang X, Mo R, et al. Mice with a targeted mutation of patched2 are viable but develop alopecia and epidermal hyperplasia. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:6609-22 pubmed..While functional compensation by Ptc1 might account for the lack of a strong mutant phenotype in Ptc2-deficient mice, our results suggest that normal Ptc2 function is required for adult skin homeostasis. ..
- Andl T, Murchison E, Liu F, Zhang Y, Yunta Gonzalez M, Tobias J, et al. The miRNA-processing enzyme dicer is essential for the morphogenesis and maintenance of hair follicles. Curr Biol. 2006;16:1041-9 pubmed..These results reveal critical roles for Dicer in the skin and implicate miRNAs in key aspects of epidermal and hair-follicle development and function. ..