Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Kif5b
Description: kinesin family member 5B
Alias: AL022807, Khc, Khcs, Kns1, Ukhc, kinesin-1 heavy chain, conventional kinesin heavy chain, kinesin heavy chain member 5B, ubiquitous, ubiquitous kinesin heavy chain
- Pigino G, Morfini G, Pelsman A, Mattson M, Brady S, Busciglio J. Alzheimer's presenilin 1 mutations impair kinesin-based axonal transport. J Neurosci. 2003;23:4499-508 pubmed..These findings suggest that mutations in PS1 may compromise neuronal function by affecting GSK-3 activity and kinesin-I-based motility. ..
- Wang Z, Zhang F, He J, Wu P, Tay L, Cai M, et al. Binding of PLD2-Generated Phosphatidic Acid to KIF5B Promotes MT1-MMP Surface Trafficking and Lung Metastasis of Mouse Breast Cancer Cells. Dev Cell. 2017;43:186-197.e7 pubmed publisher..A liposome pull-down screen identifies KIF5B, the heavy chain of the motor protein kinesin-1, as a new PA-binding protein...
- Schuh M, Ellenberg J. Self-organization of MTOCs replaces centrosome function during acentrosomal spindle assembly in live mouse oocytes. Cell. 2007;130:484-98 pubmed..Finally, a stable barrel-shaped acentrosomal metaphase spindle with oscillating chromosomes and astral-like microtubules forms that surprisingly exhibits key properties of a centrosomal spindle. ..
- Justice M, Gilbert D, Kinzler K, Vogelstein B, Buchberg A, Ceci J, et al. A molecular genetic linkage map of mouse chromosome 18 reveals extensive linkage conservation with human chromosomes 5 and 18. Genomics. 1992;13:1281-8 pubmed..It also provides molecular access to many regions of mouse chromosome 18 for the first time. ..
- Munoz I, Danelli L, Claver J, Goudin N, Kurowska M, Madera Salcedo I, et al. Kinesin-1 controls mast cell degranulation and anaphylaxis through PI3K-dependent recruitment to the granular Slp3/Rab27b complex. J Cell Biol. 2016;215:203-216 pubmed..In this study, we demonstrate that mice lacking Kif5b (the heavy chain of kinesin-1) in hematopoietic cells are less sensitive to IgE-mediated, passive, systemic ..
- Saito M, Ishigame T, Tsuta K, Kumamoto K, Imai T, Kohno T. A mouse model of KIF5B-RET fusion-dependent lung tumorigenesis. Carcinogenesis. 2014;35:2452-6 pubmed publisher..This study constructed and analyzed transgenic mice expressing KIF5B-RET, the predominant form of RET fusion gene specific for lung adenocarcinoma, under the control of the SPC (..
- Yu J, Lei K, Zhou M, Craft C, Xu G, Xu T, et al. KASH protein Syne-2/Nesprin-2 and SUN proteins SUN1/2 mediate nuclear migration during mammalian retinal development. Hum Mol Genet. 2011;20:1061-73 pubmed publisher..These key retinal developmental signaling results will advance our understanding of the mechanism of nuclear migration in the mammalian retina. ..
- Xu M, Gu Y, Barry J, Gu C. Kinesin I transports tetramerized Kv3 channels through the axon initial segment via direct binding. J Neurosci. 2010;30:15987-6001 pubmed publisher..Overexpression of this region of KIF5B markedly reduces axonal levels of Kv3.1bHA. In mature hippocampal neurons, endogenous Kv3.1b and KIF5 colocalize...
- Kidane D, Sakkas D, Nottoli T, McGrath J, Sweasy J. Kinesin 5B (KIF5B) is required for progression through female meiosis and proper chromosomal segregation in mitotic cells. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e58585 pubmed publisher..Here, we investigated the role of Kinesin 5b (Kif5b) during female mouse meiotic cell development and mitotic cell division...
- Metzger T, Gache V, Xu M, Cadot B, Folker E, Richardson B, et al. MAP and kinesin-dependent nuclear positioning is required for skeletal muscle function. Nature. 2012;484:120-4 pubmed publisher..protein ensconsin (Ens)/microtubule-associated protein 7 (MAP7) and kinesin heavy chain (Khc)/Kif5b as essential, evolutionarily conserved regulators of myonuclear positioning in Drosophila and cultured mammalian ..
- Cui J, Li X, Duan Z, Xue W, Wang Z, Lu S, et al. Analysis of Kif5b expression during mouse kidney development. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0126002 pubmed publisher..Kif5b, one of the most conserved kinesin heavy chain, is the mouse homologue of the human ubiquitous Kinesin Heavy Chain (uKHC)...
- Wang Z, Cui J, Wong W, Li X, Xue W, Lin R, et al. Kif5b controls the localization of myofibril components for their assembly and linkage to the myotendinous junctions. Development. 2013;140:617-26 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that kinesin-1 heavy chain Kif5b plays important roles in anterograde transport of ?-sarcomeric actin, non-muscle myosin IIB, together with ..
- Loschi M, Leishman C, Berardone N, Boccaccio G. Dynein and kinesin regulate stress-granule and P-body dynamics. J Cell Sci. 2009;122:3973-82 pubmed publisher..Conversely, impairment of anterograde transport by knockdown of kinesin-1 heavy chain (KIF5B) or kinesin light chain 1 (KLC1) delayed SG dissolution...
- Lalioti V, Vergarajauregui S, Tsuchiya Y, Hernandez Tiedra S, Sandoval I. Daxx functions as a scaffold of a protein assembly constituted by GLUT4, JNK1 and KIF5B. J Cell Physiol. 2009;218:416-26 pubmed publisher..In addition, Daxx interacts with kinesin KIF5B through the 6xTPR domain of the kinesin light chain, a domain engaged in the grab hold of protein cargo by kinesin ..
- Wang Z, Xue W, Li X, Lin R, Cui J, Huang J. Dissect Kif5b in nuclear positioning during myogenesis: the light chain binding domain and the autoinhibitory peptide are both indispensable. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2013;432:242-7 pubmed publisher..domain containing the kinesin light chain (KLC) binding sites targets to the perinuclear region like endogenous Kif5b, while the globular tail domain cannot...
- Barry J, Xu M, Gu Y, Dangel A, Jukkola P, Shrestha C, et al. Activation of conventional kinesin motors in clusters by Shaw voltage-gated K+ channels. J Cell Sci. 2013;126:2027-41 pubmed publisher..Our biochemical assays reveal that the high-affinity multimeric binding between the Kv3.1 T1 domain and KIF5B requires three basic residues in the KIF5B tail. Kv3...
- Muresan Z, Muresan V. Coordinated transport of phosphorylated amyloid-beta precursor protein and c-Jun NH2-terminal kinase-interacting protein-1. J Cell Biol. 2005;171:615-25 pubmed..These results indicate that the phosphorylation of APP regulates the formation of a pAPP-JIP-1 complex that accumulates in neurites independent of nonphosphorylated APP. ..
- Frederikse P, Yun E, Kao H, Zigler J, Sun Q, Qazi A. Synapsin and synaptic vesicle protein expression during embryonic and post-natal lens fiber cell differentiation. Mol Vis. 2004;10:794-804 pubmed
- Nath S, Bananis E, Sarkar S, Stockert R, Sperry A, Murray J, et al. Kif5B and Kifc1 interact and are required for motility and fission of early endocytic vesicles in mouse liver. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:1839-49 pubmed..Studies with specific antibodies confirmed that dynein was not associated with these vesicles and that Kif5B and the minus-end kinesin Kifc1 mediated their plus- and minus-end motility, respectively...
- Justice M, Morse H, Jenkins N, Copeland N. Identification of Evi-3, a novel common site of retroviral integration in mouse AKXD B-cell lymphomas. J Virol. 1994;68:1293-300 pubmed..Transcripts from Evi-3 are expressed in a developmentally regulated manner in B cells. Taken together, these data suggest that Evi-3 represents a novel proto-oncogene involved in mouse B-cell lymphomas. ..
- Wilson M, Holzbaur E. Opposing microtubule motors drive robust nuclear dynamics in developing muscle cells. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:4158-69 pubmed publisher..The three-dimensional rotation of myotube nuclei may facilitate their motility through the complex and crowded cellular environment of the developing muscle cell, allowing for proper myonuclear positioning...
- Rahman A, Friedman D, Goldstein L. Two kinesin light chain genes in mice. Identification and characterization of the encoded proteins. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:15395-403 pubmed..These results indicate that the mammalian nervous system contains multiple kinesin light chain gene products with potentially distinct functions. ..
- Cai Y, Singh B, Aslanukov A, Zhao H, Ferreira P. The docking of kinesins, KIF5B and KIF5C, to Ran-binding protein 2 (RanBP2) is mediated via a novel RanBP2 domain. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:41594-602 pubmed..this domain leads to the neuronal association of only RanBP2 with two kinesin microtubule-based motor proteins, KIF5B and KIF5C. These kinesins associate directly in vitro and in vivo with RanBP2...
- Encalada S, Szpankowski L, Xia C, Goldstein L. Stable kinesin and dynein assemblies drive the axonal transport of mammalian prion protein vesicles. Cell. 2011;144:551-65 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest a coordination model wherein PrP(C) vesicles maintain a stable population of associated motors whose activity is modulated by regulatory factors instead of by structural changes to motor-cargo associations. ..
- Cui H, Dong M, Sadhu D, Rosenberg D. Suppression of kinesin expression disrupts adenomatous polyposis coli (APC) localization and affects beta-catenin turnover in young adult mouse colon (YAMC) epithelial cells. Exp Cell Res. 2002;280:12-23 pubmed..Here we show that APC protein is associated with microtubules and is colocalized with kinesin heavy chain (KHC) and beta-catenin to clusters of puncta at the tip regions of cellular extensions in a conditionally immortalized ..
- Silver K, Harrison R. Kinesin 5B is necessary for delivery of membrane and receptors during Fc?R-mediated phagocytosis. J Immunol. 2011;186:816-25 pubmed publisher..Expression of a mutant kinesin isoform (GFP dominant negative mutant of kinesin H chain [EGFP-Kif5B-DN]) in RAW264...
- Lacroix B, Van Dijk J, Gold N, Guizetti J, Aldrian Herrada G, Rogowski K, et al. Tubulin polyglutamylation stimulates spastin-mediated microtubule severing. J Cell Biol. 2010;189:945-54 pubmed publisher..Our study reveals a novel control mechanism for microtubule mass and stability, which is of fundamental importance to cellular physiology and might have implications for diseases related to microtubule severing. ..
- Yang J, Li T. The ciliary rootlet interacts with kinesin light chains and may provide a scaffold for kinesin-1 vesicular cargos. Exp Cell Res. 2005;309:379-89 pubmed..These findings indicate that ciliary rootlets may provide a scaffold for kinesin-1 vesicular cargos and, thus, play a role in the intracellular transport in ciliated cells. ..
- Wobst H, Schmitz B, Schachner M, Diestel S, Leshchyns ka I, Sytnyk V. Kinesin-1 promotes post-Golgi trafficking of NCAM140 and NCAM180 to the cell surface. J Cell Sci. 2015;128:2816-29 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that NCAM is delivered to the cell surface through a kinesin-1-mediated transport mechanism in a PAK1-dependent manner. ..
- Cui J, Pang J, Lin Y, Jiang P, Gong H, Wang Z, et al. Conventional kinesin KIF5B mediates adiponectin secretion in 3T3-L1 adipocytes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2016;476:620-626 pubmed publisher..Recent studies show that the heavy chain of conventional kinesin (KIF5B) mediates GLUT4 translocation in murine 3T3-L1 adipocytes, however, the motor machinery involved in mediating ..
- Wilson M, Holzbaur E. Nesprins anchor kinesin-1 motors to the nucleus to drive nuclear distribution in muscle cells. Development. 2015;142:218-28 pubmed publisher..Here, we test the hypothesis that an ensemble of Kif5B motors acts from the nuclear envelope to distribute nuclei throughout the length of syncytial myotubes...
- McDade J, Michele D. Membrane damage-induced vesicle-vesicle fusion of dysferlin-containing vesicles in muscle cells requires microtubules and kinesin. Hum Mol Genet. 2014;23:1677-86 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that dysferlin-containing vesicles move along microtubules via the kinesin motor KIF5B in muscle cells...
- Cui J, Pang J, Lin Y, Gong H, Wang Z, Li Y, et al. Adipose-specific deletion of Kif5b exacerbates obesity and insulin resistance in a mouse model of diet-induced obesity. FASEB J. 2017;31:2533-2547 pubmed publisherRecent studies have shown that KIF5B (conventional kinesin heavy chain) mediates glucose transporter type 4 translocation and adiponectin secretion in 3T3-L1 adipocytes, suggesting an involvement of KIF5B in the homeostasis of metabolism...
- Stroud M, Feng W, Zhang J, Veevers J, Fang X, Gerace L, et al. Nesprin 1Î±2 is essential for mouse postnatal viability and nuclear positioning in skeletal muscle. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:1915-1924 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we revealed that kinesin 1 was displaced in fibers of nesprin 1Î±2-knockout mice, suggesting that this interaction may play an important role in positioning of myonuclei and functional skeletal muscle. ..
- Pandruvada S, Beauregard J, Benjannet S, Pata M, Lazure C, Seidah N, et al. Role of Ostm1 Cytosolic Complex with Kinesin 5B in Intracellular Dispersion and Trafficking. Mol Cell Biol. 2016;36:507-21 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we uncovered a role for the Ostm1/KIF5B complex in intracellular trafficking and dispersion of cargos from the endoplasmic reticulum to late endosomal/..
- Wang R, Kaul A, Sperry A. TLRR (lrrc67) interacts with PP1 and is associated with a cytoskeletal complex in the testis. Biol Cell. 2010;102:173-89 pubmed publisher..Our finding that TLRR is associated with microtubules in cultured cells suggests that TLRR may play a common role in modulating the cytoskeleton in other cell types besides male germ cells. ..
- MacDonald J, Dietrich A, Gamble S, Hryciw T, Grant R, Meakin S. Nesca, a novel neuronal adapter protein, links the molecular motor kinesin with the pre-synaptic membrane protein, syntaxin-1, in hippocampal neurons. J Neurochem. 2012;121:861-80 pubmed publisher..Nesca co-immunoprecipitates with kinesin heavy chain (KIF5B) and kinesin light-chain motors as well as with the synaptic membrane precursor protein, syntaxin-1, and is a ..
- Cui J, Wang Z, Cheng Q, Lin R, Zhang X, Leung P, et al. Targeted inactivation of kinesin-1 in pancreatic ?-cells in vivo leads to insulin secretory deficiency. Diabetes. 2011;60:320-30 pubmed publisher..A Cre-LoxP strategy was used to generate conditional knockout mice in which the Kif5b gene is specifically inactivated in pancreatic ?-cells...
- Twelvetrees A, Yuen E, Arancibia Carcamo I, Macaskill A, Rostaing P, Lumb M, et al. Delivery of GABAARs to synapses is mediated by HAP1-KIF5 and disrupted by mutant huntingtin. Neuron. 2010;65:53-65 pubmed publisher..Its disruption by mutant huntingtin may explain some of the defects in brain information processing occurring in Huntington's disease and provides a molecular target for therapeutic approaches. ..
- Caviston J, Ross J, Antony S, Tokito M, Holzbaur E. Huntingtin facilitates dynein/dynactin-mediated vesicle transport. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:10045-50 pubmed..Together these findings indicate that Htt binds to dynein and acts in a complex along with dynactin and Htt-associated protein-1 to facilitate vesicular transport. ..
- Teng J, Rai T, Tanaka Y, Takei Y, Nakata T, Hirasawa M, et al. The KIF3 motor transports N-cadherin and organizes the developing neuroepithelium. Nat Cell Biol. 2005;7:474-82 pubmed..Furthermore, in KAP3-deficient cells, the subcellular localization of N-cadherin was disrupted. Taken together, these results suggest a potential tumour-suppressing activity for this molecular motor. ..
- Gudkov A, Kazarov A, Thimmapaya R, Axenovich S, Mazo I, Roninson I. Cloning mammalian genes by expression selection of genetic suppressor elements: association of kinesin with drug resistance and cell immortalization. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:3744-8 pubmed
- Nangaku M, Sato Yoshitake R, Okada Y, Noda Y, Takemura R, Yamazaki H, et al. KIF1B, a novel microtubule plus end-directed monomeric motor protein for transport of mitochondria. Cell. 1994;79:1209-20 pubmed..These data strongly suggested that KIF1B works as a monomeric motor for anterograde transport of mitochondria. ..
- Matsuzaki F, Shirane M, Matsumoto M, Nakayama K. Protrudin serves as an adaptor molecule that connects KIF5 and its cargoes in vesicular transport during process formation. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:4602-20 pubmed publisher..Given that mutation of protrudin or KIF5 is a cause of human hereditary spastic paraplegia, the protrudin-KIF5 axis appears to be integral to neuronal function. ..
- Sun F, Zhu C, Dixit R, Cavalli V. Sunday Driver/JIP3 binds kinesin heavy chain directly and enhances its motility. EMBO J. 2011;30:3416-29 pubmed publisher..Adaptor proteins recruit kinesin-1 to vesicles via direct association with kinesin heavy chain (KHC), the force-generating component, or via the accessory light chain (KLC)...
- Yamada M, Toba S, Takitoh T, Yoshida Y, Mori D, Nakamura T, et al. mNUDC is required for plus-end-directed transport of cytoplasmic dynein and dynactins by kinesin-1. EMBO J. 2010;29:517-31 pubmed publisher..Our findings have uncovered an essential role of mNUDC for anterograde transport of dynein and dynactin by kinesin-1. ..
- Stagi M, Gorlovoy P, Larionov S, Takahashi K, Neumann H. Unloading kinesin transported cargoes from the tubulin track via the inflammatory c-Jun N-terminal kinase pathway. FASEB J. 2006;20:2573-5 pubmed..TNF treatment induced dissociation of the heavy chain kinesin family-5B (KIF5B) protein from tubulin in axons but not cell bodies as determined by lifetime-based Förster resonance energy ..
- Plitz T, Pfeffer K. Intact lysosome transport and phagosome function despite kinectin deficiency. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:6044-55 pubmed..Thus, these data unequivocally indicate that kinectin is not essential for trafficking of lysosomes, phagosomes, and mitochondria in vivo. ..