Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Kif5a
Description: kinesin family member 5A
Alias: D10Bwg0738e, Khc, Kif5, Kns, mKIAA4086, kinesin heavy chain isoform 5A, NKHC, kinesin heavy chain neuron-specific 1, neuronal kinesin heavy chain
- Aizawa H, Sekine Y, Takemura R, Zhang Z, Nangaku M, Hirokawa N. Kinesin family in murine central nervous system. J Cell Biol. 1992;119:1287-96 pubmed..Homology analysis of amino acid sequence indicated that KIF1 and KIF5 are murine counterparts of unc104 and kinesin heavy chain, respectively, while KIF2, KIF3, and KIF4 are as yet ..
- Yap K, Lim Z, Khandelia P, Friedman B, Makeyev E. Coordinated regulation of neuronal mRNA steady-state levels through developmentally controlled intron retention. Genes Dev. 2012;26:1209-23 pubmed publisher..We propose that this mechanism counters ectopic and precocious expression of functionally linked neuron-specific genes and ensures their coherent activation in the appropriate developmental context. ..
- Matsuzaki F, Shirane M, Matsumoto M, Nakayama K. Protrudin serves as an adaptor molecule that connects KIF5 and its cargoes in vesicular transport during process formation. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:4602-20 pubmed publisher..protrudin-associated proteins, including many with a function related to intracellular trafficking, we focused on KIF5, a motor protein that mediates anterograde vesicular transport in neurons...
- Nakata T, Niwa S, Okada Y, Perez F, Hirokawa N. Preferential binding of a kinesin-1 motor to GTP-tubulin-rich microtubules underlies polarized vesicle transport. J Cell Biol. 2011;194:245-55 pubmed publisher..A motor domain-containing truncated KIF5 (a kinesin-1) recognizes axonal microtubules, which are enriched in EB1 binding sites, and selectively accumulates ..
- Ikegami K, Heier R, Taruishi M, Takagi H, Mukai M, Shimma S, et al. Loss of alpha-tubulin polyglutamylation in ROSA22 mice is associated with abnormal targeting of KIF1A and modulated synaptic function. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:3213-8 pubmed..abundant in neurites from ROSA22 mutants in vitro and in vivo, whereas the distribution of KIF3A (kinesin-2) and KIF5 (kinesin-1) appeared unaltered...
- Ceccarini M, Torreri P, Lombardi D, Macchia G, Macioce P, Petrucci T. Molecular basis of dystrobrevin interaction with kinesin heavy chain: structural determinants of their binding. J Mol Biol. 2005;354:872-82 pubmed..protein and localized the dystrobrevin-binding site on the cargo-binding domain of neuronal kinesin heavy chain (Kif5A)...
- Yang J, Li T. The ciliary rootlet interacts with kinesin light chains and may provide a scaffold for kinesin-1 vesicular cargos. Exp Cell Res. 2005;309:379-89 pubmed..These findings indicate that ciliary rootlets may provide a scaffold for kinesin-1 vesicular cargos and, thus, play a role in the intracellular transport in ciliated cells. ..
- Justice M, Morse H, Jenkins N, Copeland N. Identification of Evi-3, a novel common site of retroviral integration in mouse AKXD B-cell lymphomas. J Virol. 1994;68:1293-300 pubmed..Transcripts from Evi-3 are expressed in a developmentally regulated manner in B cells. Taken together, these data suggest that Evi-3 represents a novel proto-oncogene involved in mouse B-cell lymphomas. ..
- Teng J, Rai T, Tanaka Y, Takei Y, Nakata T, Hirasawa M, et al. The KIF3 motor transports N-cadherin and organizes the developing neuroepithelium. Nat Cell Biol. 2005;7:474-82 pubmed..Furthermore, in KAP3-deficient cells, the subcellular localization of N-cadherin was disrupted. Taken together, these results suggest a potential tumour-suppressing activity for this molecular motor. ..
- Ohnishi T, Shirane M, Hashimoto Y, Saita S, Nakayama K. Identification and characterization of a neuron-specific isoform of protrudin. Genes Cells. 2014;19:97-111 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that protrudin-L is a neuron-specific protrudin isoform that promotes axonal elongation and contributes to the establishment of neuronal polarity. ..
- Burgo A, Proux Gillardeaux V, Sotirakis E, Bun P, Casano A, Verraes A, et al. A molecular network for the transport of the TI-VAMP/VAMP7 vesicles from cell center to periphery. Dev Cell. 2012;23:166-80 pubmed publisher..TI-VAMP/VAMP7 partner Varp, a Rab21 guanine nucleotide exchange factor, interacts with GolginA4 and the kinesin 1 Kif5A. Activated Rab21-GTP in turn binds to MACF1, an actin and microtubule regulator, which is itself a partner of ..
- Nangaku M, Sato Yoshitake R, Okada Y, Noda Y, Takemura R, Yamazaki H, et al. KIF1B, a novel microtubule plus end-directed monomeric motor protein for transport of mitochondria. Cell. 1994;79:1209-20 pubmed..These data strongly suggested that KIF1B works as a monomeric motor for anterograde transport of mitochondria. ..
- Liu X, Kadakkuzha B, Pascal B, Steckler C, Akhmedov K, Yan L, et al. New approach to capture and characterize synaptic proteome. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:16154-9 pubmed publisher..We also found that the identity of kinesins and where they are expressed determine what proteins they transport. Our results reveal a previously unappreciated role of kinesins in regulating the composition of synaptic proteome. ..
- Zhao C, Takita J, Tanaka Y, Setou M, Nakagawa T, Takeda S, et al. Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease type 2A caused by mutation in a microtubule motor KIF1Bbeta. Cell. 2001;105:587-97 pubmed..We show that CMT2A patients contain a loss-of-function mutation in the motor domain of the KIF1B gene. This is clear indication that defects in axonal transport due to a mutated motor protein can underlie human peripheral neuropathy. ..
- Yamada M, Toba S, Takitoh T, Yoshida Y, Mori D, Nakamura T, et al. mNUDC is required for plus-end-directed transport of cytoplasmic dynein and dynactins by kinesin-1. EMBO J. 2010;29:517-31 pubmed publisher..Our findings have uncovered an essential role of mNUDC for anterograde transport of dynein and dynactin by kinesin-1. ..
- Chen Y, Sheng Z. Kinesin-1-syntaphilin coupling mediates activity-dependent regulation of axonal mitochondrial transport. J Cell Biol. 2013;202:351-64 pubmed publisher..that syntaphilin (SNPH) mediates the activity-dependent immobilization of axonal mitochondria through binding to KIF5. In vitro analysis showed that the KIF5-SNPH coupling inhibited the motor adenosine triphosphatase...
- Wordeman L, Mitchison T. Identification and partial characterization of mitotic centromere-associated kinesin, a kinesin-related protein that associates with centromeres during mitosis. J Cell Biol. 1995;128:95-104 pubmed..1992). MCAK protein is present in interphase and mitotic CHO cells and is transcribed as a single 3.4-kb message...
- Li Z, Mulligan M, Wang X, Miles M, Lu L, Williams R. A transposon in Comt generates mRNA variants and causes widespread expression and behavioral differences among mice. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e12181 pubmed publisher..The recent fixation of the variant in a subset of strains may have contributed to the rapid divergence of inbred strains. ..
- Schuh M, Ellenberg J. Self-organization of MTOCs replaces centrosome function during acentrosomal spindle assembly in live mouse oocytes. Cell. 2007;130:484-98 pubmed..Finally, a stable barrel-shaped acentrosomal metaphase spindle with oscillating chromosomes and astral-like microtubules forms that surprisingly exhibits key properties of a centrosomal spindle. ..
- Muresan Z, Muresan V. Coordinated transport of phosphorylated amyloid-beta precursor protein and c-Jun NH2-terminal kinase-interacting protein-1. J Cell Biol. 2005;171:615-25 pubmed..These results indicate that the phosphorylation of APP regulates the formation of a pAPP-JIP-1 complex that accumulates in neurites independent of nonphosphorylated APP. ..
- Rathgeber L, Gromova K, Schaefer I, Breiden P, Lohr C, Kneussel M. GSK3 and KIF5 regulate activity-dependent sorting of gephyrin between axons and dendrites. Eur J Cell Biol. 2015;94:173-8 pubmed publisherThe kinesin KIF5 transports neuronal cargoes into axons and dendrites...
- Colin E, Zala D, Liot G, Rangone H, Borrell Pages M, Li X, et al. Huntingtin phosphorylation acts as a molecular switch for anterograde/retrograde transport in neurons. EMBO J. 2008;27:2124-34 pubmed publisher..This also applies to other vesicles suggesting an essential role for huntingtin in the control of vesicular directionality in neurons. ..
- Brodkin E, Goforth S, Keene A, Fossella J, Silver L. Identification of quantitative trait Loci that affect aggressive behavior in mice. J Neurosci. 2002;22:1165-70 pubmed
- Karle K, MÃ¶ckel D, Reid E, SchÃ¶ls L. Axonal transport deficit in a KIF5A( -/- ) mouse model. Neurogenetics. 2012;13:169-79 pubmed publisher..loci have been identified, among them SPG10, an autosomal dominant HSP caused by point mutations in the neuronal kinesin heavy chain protein KIF5A. Constitutive KIF5A knockout (KIF5A( -/- )) mice die early after birth...
- Justice M, Gilbert D, Kinzler K, Vogelstein B, Buchberg A, Ceci J, et al. A molecular genetic linkage map of mouse chromosome 18 reveals extensive linkage conservation with human chromosomes 5 and 18. Genomics. 1992;13:1281-8 pubmed..Apc, Camk2a, D18Fcr1, D18Fcr2, D18Leh1, D18Leh2, Dcc, Emb-rs3, Fgfa, Fim-2/Csfmr, Gnal, Grl-1, Grp, Hk-1rs1, Ii, Kns, Lmnb, Mbp, Mcc, Mtv-38, Palb, Pdgfrb, and Tpl-2 genes were mapped relative to each other in one interspecific ..
- Sherman M, LaCroix M, Amar F, Larson M, Forster C, Aguzzi A, et al. Soluble Conformers of Aβ and Tau Alter Selective Proteins Governing Axonal Transport. J Neurosci. 2016;36:9647-58 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that Aβ trimers might cause axonal transport deficits in AD. ..
- Seno T, Ikeno T, Mennya K, Kurishita M, Sakae N, Sato M, et al. Kinesin-1 sorting in axons controls the differential retraction of arbor terminals. J Cell Sci. 2016;129:3499-510 pubmed publisher..In the present study, we found that the kinesin-1 (Kif5 proteins) head domain (K5H) preferentially marks a subset of arbor terminals...
- Nakajima K, Yin X, Takei Y, Seog D, Homma N, Hirokawa N. Molecular motor KIF5A is essential for GABA(A) receptor transport, and KIF5A deletion causes epilepsy. Neuron. 2012;76:945-61 pubmed publisherKIF5 (also known as kinesin-1) family members, consisting of KIF5A, KIF5B, and KIF5C, are microtubule-dependent molecular motors that are important for neuronal function...
- Fratini F, Macchia G, Torreri P, Matteucci A, Salzano A, Crescenzi M, et al. Phosphorylation on threonine 11 of ?-dystrobrevin alters its interaction with kinesin heavy chain. FEBS J. 2012;279:4131-44 pubmed publisher..Thr11 was phosphorylated by protein kinase C, suggesting that this represents a key residue modified by the activation of different signaling pathways. ..
- Dictenberg J, Swanger S, Antar L, Singer R, Bassell G. A direct role for FMRP in activity-dependent dendritic mRNA transport links filopodial-spine morphogenesis to fragile X syndrome. Dev Cell. 2008;14:926-39 pubmed publisher..These findings highlight a mechanism for stimulus-induced dendritic mRNA transport and link its impairment in a mouse model of FXS to altered developmental morphologic plasticity. ..
- Frederikse P, Yun E, Kao H, Zigler J, Sun Q, Qazi A. Synapsin and synaptic vesicle protein expression during embryonic and post-natal lens fiber cell differentiation. Mol Vis. 2004;10:794-804 pubmed
- Kanai Y, Dohmae N, Hirokawa N. Kinesin transports RNA: isolation and characterization of an RNA-transporting granule. Neuron. 2004;43:513-25 pubmed..isolated a large RNase-sensitive granule (size: 1000S approximately) as a binding partner of conventional kinesin (KIF5). We identified a total of 42 proteins with mRNAs for CaMKIIalpha and Arc in the granule...
- Cheng L, Desai J, Miranda C, Duncan J, Qiu W, Nugent A, et al. Human CFEOM1 mutations attenuate KIF21A autoinhibition and cause oculomotor axon stalling. Neuron. 2014;82:334-49 pubmed publisher..The interaction between Kif21a and Map1b is likely to play a critical role in the pathogenesis of CFEOM1 and highlights a selective vulnerability of the developing oculomotor nerve to perturbations of the axon cytoskeleton. ..
- Xu M, Gu Y, Barry J, Gu C. Kinesin I transports tetramerized Kv3 channels through the axon initial segment via direct binding. J Neurosci. 2010;30:15987-6001 pubmed publisher..How each channel protein is transported within the cytoplasm is poorly understood. Here, we report that KIF5/kinesin I transports Kv3...
- Kim J, Shen S, Dietz K, He Y, Howell O, Reynolds R, et al. HDAC1 nuclear export induced by pathological conditions is essential for the onset of axonal damage. Nat Neurosci. 2010;13:180-9 pubmed publisher..Together these data identify nuclear export of HDAC1 as a critical event for impaired mitochondrial transport in damaged neurons. ..
- Macioce P, Gambara G, Bernassola M, Gaddini L, Torreri P, Macchia G, et al. Beta-dystrobrevin interacts directly with kinesin heavy chain in brain. J Cell Sci. 2003;116:4847-56 pubmed..Four overlapping clones were identified that encoded Kif5A, a neuronal member of the Kif5 family of proteins that consists of the heavy chains of conventional kinesin...