Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Kcnmb4
Description: potassium large conductance calcium-activated channel, subfamily M, beta member 4
Alias: 1700058G18Rik, 2900045G12Rik, calcium-activated potassium channel subunit beta-4, BK channel subunit beta-4, BKbeta4, Slowpoke beta 4, calcium-activated potassium channel, subfamily M subunit beta-4, charybdotoxin receptor subunit beta-4, k(VCA)beta-4, large conductance calcium-dependent potassium ion channel beta 4 subunit, maxi K channel subunit beta-4, slo-beta-4
- Nehrke K, Quinn C, Begenisich T. Molecular identification of Ca2+-activated K+ channels in parotid acinar cells. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2003;284:C535-46 pubmed..RT-PCR analysis revealed the presence of two mSlo beta-subunits (Kcnmb1 and Kcnmb4) in parotid tissue...
- Seidel K, Derst C, Salzmann M, Höltje M, Priller J, Markgraf R, et al. Expression of the voltage- and Ca2+-dependent BK potassium channel subunits BK?1 and BK?4 in rodent astrocytes. Glia. 2011;59:893-902 pubmed publisher..Thus, BK?4 expression in astrocytes likely participates in regulating astrocytic voltage gradients and maintaining K(+) homeostasis, hence enabling astrocytes to fulfill their complex regulatory influence on proper brain function. ..
- Petrik D, Brenner R. Regulation of STREX exon large conductance, calcium-activated potassium channels by the beta4 accessory subunit. Neuroscience. 2007;149:789-803 pubmed
- Pyott S, Meredith A, Fodor A, Vazquez A, Yamoah E, Aldrich R. Cochlear function in mice lacking the BK channel alpha, beta1, or beta4 subunits. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:3312-24 pubmed..These findings reveal the fundamentally different contribution of BK channels to nonmammalian and mammalian hearing and suggest that BK channels should be considered a target in the prevention of noise-induced hearing loss. ..
- Bugaj V, Sansom S, Wen D, Hatcher L, Stockand J, Mironova E. Flow-sensitive K+-coupled ATP secretion modulates activity of the epithelial Na+ channel in the distal nephron. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:38552-8 pubmed publisher..Impaired sodium excretion resulting form loss of normal purinergic regulation of ENaC in BK-?4 null mice likely contributes to their elevated blood pressure. ..
- Whitt J, Montgomery J, Meredith A. BK channel inactivation gates daytime excitability in the circadian clock. Nat Commun. 2016;7:10837 pubmed publisher..Our study reveals the clock employs inactivation gating as a biophysical switch to set the diurnal variation in suprachiasmatic nucleus excitability that underlies circadian rhythm. ..
- Petrik D, Wang B, Brenner R. Modulation by the BK accessory ?4 subunit of phosphorylation-dependent changes in excitability of dentate gyrus granule neurons. Eur J Neurosci. 2011;34:695-704 pubmed publisher..By opposing BK channel activation, the ?4 subunit plays an important role in moderating firing frequency regardless of changes in phosphorylation status. ..
- Nishimura I, Ui Tei K, Saigo K, Ishii H, Sakuma Y, Kato M. 17beta-estradiol at physiological concentrations augments Ca(2+) -activated K+ currents via estrogen receptor beta in the gonadotropin-releasing hormone neuronal cell line GT1-7. Endocrinology. 2008;149:774-82 pubmed..In conclusion, E2 at physiological concentrations augments K(Ca) currents through ERbeta in the GT1-7 GnRH neuronal cell line and increases the expression of the BK channel subunit mRNAs, alpha and beta4. ..
- Myrick L, Deng P, Hashimoto H, Oh Y, Cho Y, Poidevin M, et al. Independent role for presynaptic FMRP revealed by an FMR1 missense mutation associated with intellectual disability and seizures. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:949-56 pubmed publisher..These results reveal a presynaptic- and translation-independent function of FMRP that is linked to a specific subset of FXS phenotypes. ..