Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Kcnb1
Description: potassium voltage gated channel, Shab-related subfamily, member 1
Alias: Kcr1-1, Kv2.1, Shab, potassium voltage-gated channel subfamily B member 1, voltage-gated potassium channel subunit Kv2.1
- Roe M, Worley J, Mittal A, Kuznetsov A, DasGupta S, Mertz R, et al. Expression and function of pancreatic beta-cell delayed rectifier K+ channels. Role in stimulus-secretion coupling. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:32241-6 pubmed..These studies implicate previously uncharacterized beta-cell delayed rectifier K+ channels in the regulation of membrane repolarization, [Ca2+]i, and insulin secretion. ..
- Lesage F, Attali B, Lazdunski M, Barhanin J. Developmental expression of voltage-sensitive K+ channels in mouse skeletal muscle and C2C12 cells. FEBS Lett. 1992;310:162-6 pubmed..The message for the very peculiar K+ channel of IsK type could only be detected by polymerase chain reaction on skeletal muscle mRNA. ..
- Mandikian D, Bocksteins E, Parajuli L, Bishop H, Cerda O, Shigemoto R, et al. Cell type-specific spatial and functional coupling between mammalian brain Kv2.1 K+ channels and ryanodine receptors. J Comp Neurol. 2014;522:3555-74 pubmed publisher..1 to dynamically impact intrinsic excitability. ..
- Dai X, Manning Fox J, Chikvashvili D, Casimir M, Plummer G, Hajmrle C, et al. The voltage-dependent potassium channel subunit Kv2.1 regulates insulin secretion from rodent and human islets independently of its electrical function. Diabetologia. 2012;55:1709-20 pubmed publisher..This demonstrates that native Kv2.1-syntaxin 1A interaction plays a key role in human insulin secretion, which is separate from the channel's electrical function. ..
- Peltola M, Kuja Panula J, Lauri S, Taira T, Rauvala H. AMIGO is an auxiliary subunit of the Kv2.1 potassium channel. EMBO Rep. 2011;12:1293-9 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our data indicate AMIGO as a function-modulating auxiliary subunit for Kv2.1 and thus provide new insights into regulation of neuronal excitability. ..
- Zagoraiou L, Akay T, Martin J, Brownstone R, Jessell T, Miles G. A cluster of cholinergic premotor interneurons modulates mouse locomotor activity. Neuron. 2009;64:645-62 pubmed publisher..Thus, V0(C) interneurons represent a defined class of spinal cholinergic interneurons with an intrinsic neuromodulatory role in the control of locomotor behavior. ..
- Bocksteins E, Raes A, Van de Vijver G, Bruyns T, Van Bogaert P, Snyders D. Kv2.1 and silent Kv subunits underlie the delayed rectifier K+ current in cultured small mouse DRG neurons. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2009;296:C1271-8 pubmed publisher..1 channels, whereas the other component represents heterotetrameric K(v)2.1/silent K(v) channels. These observations support a physiological role for silent K(v) subunits in small DRG neurons. ..
- Maiya R, Ponomarev I, Linse K, Harris R, Mayfield R. Defining the dopamine transporter proteome by convergent biochemical and in silico analyses. Genes Brain Behav. 2007;6:97-106 pubmed..In summary, this study identified a network of proteins that are primary candidates for functional regulation of the DAT, an important player in mechanisms of mental disorders and drug addiction. ..
- Whitman E, Pisarcik S, Luke T, Fallon M, Wang J, Sylvester J, et al. Endothelin-1 mediates hypoxia-induced inhibition of voltage-gated K+ channel expression in pulmonary arterial myocytes. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2008;294:L309-18 pubmed..These results suggest that the inhibition of K(v) channel expression and rise in [Ca(2+)](i) during chronic hypoxia may be the result of HIF-1-dependent induction of ET-1. ..
- Sobko A, Peretz A, Shirihai O, Etkin S, Cherepanova V, Dagan D, et al. Heteromultimeric delayed-rectifier K+ channels in schwann cells: developmental expression and role in cell proliferation. J Neurosci. 1998;18:10398-408 pubmed..Here, we show that a large repertoire of K+ channel alpha subunits of the Shaker (Kv1.1, Kv1.2, Kv1.4, and Kv1.5), Shab (Kv2.1), and Shaw (Kv3.1b and Kv3.2) families is expressed in mouse SCs and sciatic nerve...
- Bukiya A, Liu J, Dopico A. The BK channel accessory beta1 subunit determines alcohol-induced cerebrovascular constriction. FEBS Lett. 2009;583:2779-84 pubmed publisher..Knocking-down KCNMB1 suppresses EtOH-reduction of arterial myocyte BK current and vessel diameter. Therefore, BK beta(1) is the molecular effector of alcohol-induced BK current inhibition and cerebrovascular constriction. ..
- Xu H, Barry D, Li H, Brunet S, Guo W, Nerbonne J. Attenuation of the slow component of delayed rectification, action potential prolongation, and triggered activity in mice expressing a dominant-negative Kv2 alpha subunit. Circ Res. 1999;85:623-33 pubmed..In vivo telemetric recordings also reveal marked QT prolongation, consistent with a defect in ventricular repolarization, in Kv2.1N216FLAG-expressing transgenic mice. ..
- Chung J, Li M. Biochemical characterization of the native Kv2.1 potassium channel. FEBS J. 2005;272:3743-55 pubmed..1 subunits but not homologous Kv2.2 subunits. The proteins precipitated by anti-Kv2.1 and their physiological relevance are of interest for further investigation. ..
- Jacobson D, Kuznetsov A, Lopez J, Kash S, Ammala C, Philipson L. Kv2.1 ablation alters glucose-induced islet electrical activity, enhancing insulin secretion. Cell Metab. 2007;6:229-35 pubmed..These results reveal the specific role of Kv2.1 in modulating glucose-stimulated APs of beta cells, exposing additional important currents involved in regulating physiological insulin secretion. ..
- Li X, Herrington J, Petrov A, Ge L, Eiermann G, Xiong Y, et al. The role of voltage-gated potassium channels Kv2.1 and Kv2.2 in the regulation of insulin and somatostatin release from pancreatic islets. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2013;344:407-16 pubmed publisher..2 modulates somatostatin release in ?-cells. Development of selective Kv2.1 inhibitors without cross inhibition of Kv2.2 may provide new avenues to promote GSIS for the treatment of type 2 diabetes. ..
- Williamson C, Dutton E, Abbott C, Beechey C, Ball S, Peters J. Thirteen genes (Cebpb, E2f1, Tcf4, Cyp24, Pck1, Acra4, Edn3, Kcnb1, Mc3r, Ntsr, Cd40, Plcg1 and Rcad) that probably lie in the distal imprinting region of mouse chromosome 2 are not monoallelically expressed. Genet Res. 1995;65:83-93 pubmed..that express transcription factors, 2 genes (Cyp24 and Pck1) that are involved in growth, 5 genes (Acra4, Edn3, Kcnb1, Mc3r and Ntsr) where a defect could lead to neurological and probably behavioural problems, and 3 genes (Cd40, ..
- Nieves CintrÃ³n M, Nystoriak M, Prada M, Johnson K, Fayer W, Dell Acqua M, et al. Selective down-regulation of KV2.1 function contributes to enhanced arterial tone during diabetes. J Biol Chem. 2015;290:7918-29 pubmed publisher..Together, our study supports the concept that transcriptional suppression of KV2.1 by activation of the AKAP150-CaN/NFATc3 signaling axis contributes to enhanced arterial tone during diabetes. ..
- Sukma Rita R, Dezaki K, Kurashina T, Kakei M, Yada T. Partial blockade of Kv2.1 channel potentiates GLP-1's insulinotropic effects in islets and reduces its dose required for improving glucose tolerance in type 2 diabetic male mice. Endocrinology. 2015;156:114-23 pubmed publisher..1 channels dramatically raises insulinotropic potency of GLP-1-based drugs, which opens a new avenue to reduce their doses and associated adverse effects while achieving the same glycemic control in type 2 diabetes. ..
- Uebele V, England S, Chaudhary A, Tamkun M, Snyders D. Functional differences in Kv1.5 currents expressed in mammalian cell lines are due to the presence of endogenous Kv beta 2.1 subunits. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:2406-12 pubmed..1 subunit can alter Kv1.5 alpha subunit function, 2) beta subunits are not required for alpha subunit expression, and 3) endogenous beta subunits are expressed in heterologous expression systems used to study K+ channel function. ..
- Hristov K, Chen M, Afeli S, Cheng Q, Rovner E, Petkov G. Expression and function of K(V)2-containing channels in human urinary bladder smooth muscle. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2012;302:C1599-608 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal that ScTx1-sensitive K(V)2-containing channels are key regulators of human DSM excitability and contractility and may represent new targets for pharmacological or genetic intervention for bladder dysfunction. ..
- Zhou J, Kodirov S, Murata M, Buckett P, Nerbonne J, Koren G. Regional upregulation of Kv2.1-encoded current, IK,slow2, in Kv1DN mice is abolished by crossbreeding with Kv2DN mice. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2003;284:H491-500 pubmed..1 polypeptide (Kv2DN) eliminated I(K,slow2). In summary, our data indicate that the spatially restrictive upregulation of Kv2.1-encoded currents underlies the increased dispersion of the repolarization observed in Kv1DN mice. ..
- Hu Y, Jones S, Dillmann W. Effects of hyperthyroidism on delayed rectifier K+ currents in left and right murine atria. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2005;289:H1448-55 pubmed..the left atrium, which can contribute to the propensity for atrial arrhythmia in hyperthyroid heart. ..
- Speca D, Ogata G, Mandikian D, Bishop H, Wiler S, Eum K, et al. Deletion of the Kv2.1 delayed rectifier potassium channel leads to neuronal and behavioral hyperexcitability. Genes Brain Behav. 2014;13:394-408 pubmed publisher..1(-/-) mice exhibit accelerated seizure progression. Together, these findings suggest homeostatic suppression of elevated neuronal activity by Kv2.1 plays a central role in regulating neuronal network function. ..
- Jacobson D, Mendez F, Thompson M, Torres J, Cochet O, Philipson L. Calcium-activated and voltage-gated potassium channels of the pancreatic islet impart distinct and complementary roles during secretagogue induced electrical responses. J Physiol. 2010;588:3525-37 pubmed publisher..8-fold with apamin. These results uncover important repolarizing roles for both Kv and K(Ca) channels and identify distinct roles for SK channel activity in regulating calcium- versus sodium-dependent AP firing. ..
- Ito T, Nuriya M, Yasui M. Regulation of Kv2.1 phosphorylation in an animal model of anoxia. Neurobiol Dis. 2010;38:85-91 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Kv2.1 is tightly regulated in a clinically relevant animal model of anoxia and further implicate its role in the homeostasis of neurons during anoxic stress. ..
- Tamarina N, Kuznetsov A, Fridlyand L, Philipson L. Delayed-rectifier (KV2.1) regulation of pancreatic beta-cell calcium responses to glucose: inhibitor specificity and modeling. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2005;289:E578-85 pubmed..The results underscore the importance of K(V)2.1 channel in repolarization of the pancreatic beta-cell plasma membrane and its role in regulating insulin secretion. ..
- Yu W, Parakramaweera R, Teng S, Gowda M, Sharad Y, Thakker Varia S, et al. Oxidation of KCNB1 Potassium Channels Causes Neurotoxicity and Cognitive Impairment in a Mouse Model of Traumatic Brain Injury. J Neurosci. 2016;36:11084-11096 pubmedThe delayed rectifier potassium (K+) channel KCNB1 (Kv2...
- Chu K, Cheng Q, Chen C, Au L, Seto S, Tuo Y, et al. Angiotensin II exerts glucose-dependent effects on Kv currents in mouse pancreatic beta-cells via angiotensin II type 2 receptors. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2010;298:C313-23 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that hyperglycemia alters beta-cell function through modification of the K(v) channel which may be associated with the RAS. ..
- Yu W, Gowda M, Sharad Y, Singh S, Sesti F. Oxidation of KCNB1 potassium channels triggers apoptotic integrin signaling in the brain. Cell Death Dis. 2017;8:e2737 pubmed publisherOxidative modification of the voltage-gated potassium (K+) channel KCNB1 promotes apoptosis in the neurons of cortex and hippocampus through a signaling pathway mediated by Src tyrosine kinases...
- Justice J, Schulien A, He K, Hartnett K, Aizenman E, Shah N. Disruption of KV2.1 somato-dendritic clusters prevents the apoptogenic increase of potassium currents. Neuroscience. 2017;354:158-167 pubmed publisher..1-somato-dendritic clusters in apoptogenic increases in KV2.1-mediated currents. ..
- Kayo T, Fujita H, Nozaki J, E X, Koizumi A. Identification of two chromosomal loci determining glucose intolerance in a C57BL/6 mouse strain. Comp Med. 2000;50:296-302 pubmed..Use of QTL mapping revealed two loci associated with poor glucose tolerance of B6. ..
- Amberg G, Rossow C, Navedo M, Santana L. NFATc3 regulates Kv2.1 expression in arterial smooth muscle. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:47326-34 pubmed..1 expression and reduced IKv function. These results support the novel concept that NFATc3 controls the excitability of arterial smooth muscle by regulating Kv2.1 expression. ..
- Wei A, Covarrubias M, Butler A, Baker K, Pak M, Salkoff L. K+ current diversity is produced by an extended gene family conserved in Drosophila and mouse. Science. 1990;248:599-603 pubmedThe Drosophila Shaker gene on the X chromosome has three sister genes, Shal, Shab, and Shaw, which map to the second and third chromosomes...